Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779073 times)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #6300 on: January 06, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
The GOP shouldn’t be so afraid to offend Trump when all he’s managed to do is make them lose the House, Presidency, and Senate in rapid succession.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6301 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »
Well, it helps unless you start projecting blame onto your former employer for your own violation of their policies.

I’m sure Trump will give her plenty of work, at least until he flees the US.
She may even get to retroactively call it pro bono work after he stiffs her on the bill.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6302 on: January 06, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »
The GOP shouldn’t be so afraid to offend Trump when all he’s managed to do is make them lose the House, Presidency, and Senate in rapid succession.

Trump is wildly popular amongst Republicans and has been for his entire presidential period.  GOP members have to support him (at least publicly) or risk losing all the people who vote GOP.  Trump is the leader that Republican voters want and love.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6303 on: January 06, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »

Trump is wildly popular amongst Republicans and has been for his entire presidential period.  GOP members have to support him (at least publicly) or risk losing all the people who vote GOP.  Trump is the leader that Republican voters want and love.

And they are still sticking with him now even though all elections are over and they won't control presidency, house, or senate. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6304 on: January 06, 2021, 10:11:17 AM »
I was just watching some footage of the Trump rally in Washington today and they were playing the theme song from the film “Titanic”. If you are unfamiliar with the film, it’s about a giant ship that hits an iceberg and sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6305 on: January 06, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
I was just watching some footage of the Trump rally in Washington today and they were playing the theme song from the film “Titanic”. If you are unfamiliar with the film, it’s about a giant ship that hits an iceberg and sinks to the bottom of the ocean.
Fitting for what amounts to a Klan rally celebrating the beginning of the end of the republican party.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:38:53 AM by dandarc »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6306 on: January 06, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »

That's fantastic.

Trump is the culmination of at least 40 years of GOP strategy. He is exactly what Republican voters have been conditioned to want.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6307 on: January 06, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
Poetic and metaphorical.  Perhaps more so than Rudy's press conference on live tv in a landscaping parking lot next to a dildo shop, during which the election was called for Biden.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6308 on: January 06, 2021, 10:42:08 AM »

And they are still sticking with him now even though all elections are over and they won't control presidency, house, or senate.

It seems a bit premature to call how many within the GOP 'stick' with Trump - he hasn't even left office yet.

I think there's a party reckoning coming, and it won't be pretty.  The entered 2016 in full control of the House, Senate and WH.  In 2018 they lost the House. In 2020 they lost the senate and WH. They've lost Georgia and Arizona and gave back the states Trump so narrowly won in '16.  Trump is no longer the teflon 'winner' he's promoted himself as.  Meanwhile, at least four major lawsuits are proceeding and he'll lose protection from prosecution in two weeks, and by most accounts he's milking his supporters for donations in a frantic race not to default from some $320MM in personally-guaranteed loans which will come due in the next few years. 

Trump won't shut up after leaving office - of that I am convinced.  But I think it's an open question how durable his support is.  His endorsements and campaigning didn't help Perdue or Loeffler.  Arguably it may have hurt them.  Hopefuls (e.g. Cruz) are in a crushing dilemma where they have to do dumb-a** stuff to appease Trump but which will polarize them for any state or national election. Some may look at Loeffler's loss and conclude it's in their political interests not to go down the Worship-Trump rabbit hole.

tl;dr - I'd wait until summer 2022 before declaring how durable support for Trump really is.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6309 on: January 06, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »
tl;dr - I'd wait until summer 2022 before declaring how durable support for Trump really is.

What fun is that?   ;-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6310 on: January 06, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
Have any of you tracked what is going down in PA right now?
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2021/01/05/Pa-Senate-refuses-to-seat-McKeesport-s-Brewster-in-contentious-swearing-in-ceremony/stories/202101050125

Let's hope this is not a preamble to Jan 6 in DC. Regardless, it is some top-shelf scary bullshit. What happens when a legislative body simply stops following their constitution?

I never thought something like this could happen in the United States. I thought it was only for the third world banana republics. Wow, was I wrong. What a sad time this is for America.

If thought the political US wasn't a banana republic, you have missed an awful lot.

Only in banana republics sons of formers presidents become president themselves and only in banana republics half of the highest legislators have "inherited" their post or sit together with family members (In Germany there is afaik one - and for that reason quite famous - brother pair in the Bundestag for more than one period. And we do have a political class.)
surely the budget of the average MAGA cultist is stretched?
Seems you have never heard of Scientology.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6311 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »

It seems a bit premature to call how many within the GOP 'stick' with Trump - he hasn't even left office yet.

I think there's a party reckoning coming, and it won't be pretty.  The entered 2016 in full control of the House, Senate and WH.  In 2018 they lost the House. In 2020 they lost the senate and WH. They've lost Georgia and Arizona and gave back the states Trump so narrowly won in '16.  Trump is no longer the teflon 'winner' he's promoted himself as.  Meanwhile, at least four major lawsuits are proceeding and he'll lose protection from prosecution in two weeks, and by most accounts he's milking his supporters for donations in a frantic race not to default from some $320MM in personally-guaranteed loans which will come due in the next few years. 

Trump won't shut up after leaving office - of that I am convinced.  But I think it's an open question how durable his support is.  His endorsements and campaigning didn't help Perdue or Loeffler.  Arguably it may have hurt them.  Hopefuls (e.g. Cruz) are in a crushing dilemma where they have to do dumb-a** stuff to appease Trump but which will polarize them for any state or national election. Some may look at Loeffler's loss and conclude it's in their political interests not to go down the Worship-Trump rabbit hole.

How many house and senate GOP members are opposing the electoral vote count today?  The only acceptable answer should be 0.  I kind of understand the politics of blindly getting behind your party leader when it suits you and the party, but never to this extreme.

Maybe a good chunk of the GOP are just a bunch of facist cunts at their core and are on board with attempting to steal an election?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #6312 on: January 06, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
Have any of you tracked what is going down in PA right now?
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2021/01/05/Pa-Senate-refuses-to-seat-McKeesport-s-Brewster-in-contentious-swearing-in-ceremony/stories/202101050125

Let's hope this is not a preamble to Jan 6 in DC. Regardless, it is some top-shelf scary bullshit. What happens when a legislative body simply stops following their constitution?

I never thought something like this could happen in the United States. I thought it was only for the third world banana republics. Wow, was I wrong. What a sad time this is for America.

If thought the political US wasn't a banana republic, you have missed an awful lot.

Only in banana republics sons of formers presidents become president themselves and only in banana republics half of the highest legislators have "inherited" their post or sit together with family members (In Germany there is afaik one - and for that reason quite famous - brother pair in the Bundestag for more than one period. And we do have a political class.)
surely the budget of the average MAGA cultist is stretched?
Seems you have never heard of Scientology.

Canada has Justin Trudeau, Prime minister (our highest political office) Son of Pierre Elliot Trudeau, another Prime minister.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6313 on: January 06, 2021, 11:39:52 AM »

How many house and senate GOP members are opposing the electoral vote count today?  The only acceptable answer should be 0.  I kind of understand the politics of blindly getting behind your party leader when it suits you and the party, but never to this extreme.

Maybe a good chunk of the GOP are just a bunch of facist cunts at their core and are on board with attempting to steal an election?

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6314 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
Yikes. Protestors are rushing past the barriers at the Capitol. Some of the federal office buildings are being evacuated.

Wtf are the troops?

Edit: McConnell finally grew a spine. Or he can read the tea leaves.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6315 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »

I fully agree that the appropriate number is zero.  But that's not my point.  The assertion made was that Trump will continue to control the GOP - and I'm not certain that's true. 
The house and senate members opposing the electoral count today are abhorent - but every one I believe is doing it because they think it is in their best political interests.  Right now that's probably true (for them) as they got elected in no small part thanks to Trump's rabid base.  But that base has also proven to be fickle towards the GOP outside of Trump, and I'd argue they aren't going to vote in such large numbers when Trump isn't on the ballot (see: 2018 midterms).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6316 on: January 06, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
Yikes. Protestors are rushing past the barriers at the Capitol. Some of the federal office buildings are being evacuated.

Wtf are the troops?

Finally a legitimate use for police brutality if I ever saw one.  Release the dogs.  Release the bees.  Release the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #6317 on: January 06, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »

Wtf are the troops?

Finally a legitimate use for police brutality if I ever saw one.  Release the dogs.  Release the bees.  Release the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you.
We are in the post 2020 world now it is murder hornets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6318 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:11 PM »

Wtf are the troops?

The evacuations were because of a pipe bomb threat.

The protestors are pushing against the Capitol police. There's a lot of mace (from both sides) and tear gas in the air.

The Senate went into recess. Protestors are inside the building.

The Revolution may, in fact, be televised.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6319 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »

Wtf are the troops?

The evacuations were because of a pipe bomb threat.

The protestors are pushing against the Capitol police. There's a lot of mace (from both sides) and tear gas in the air.

The Senate went into recess. Protestors are inside the building.

The Revolution may, in fact, be televised.

Reports are also saying that militia members have gathered outside the Georgia Capitol and they had to evacuate the Georgia secretary of state.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6320 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
These people deserve the same treatment the black lives matter protesters got when Trump wanted to disrespect a church.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6321 on: January 06, 2021, 12:37:34 PM »
These people deserve the same treatment the black lives matter protesters got when Trump wanted to disrespect a church.

They deserve worse.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6322 on: January 06, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »

Wtf are the troops?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6323 on: January 06, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »
Holy shit.

Reports are that they're trying to break into the House Chamber. Shots are being fired.

National Guard has been called.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6324 on: January 06, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
Storming the capital.  Watch our country get destroyed live on tv!

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/cnn-news-usa.html

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6325 on: January 06, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »

Did Trump learn his lesson, Susan?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6326 on: January 06, 2021, 01:06:15 PM »

Americans, I'm so sorry for you. I knew things were bad over there but I never thought it could truly happen that the President would send a violent mob waving Confederate flags to storm the Capitol. Today things may be resolved, but your country is much further on the way to becoming the next Venezuela than I would like to admit.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6327 on: January 06, 2021, 01:07:19 PM »
Holy shit.

Reports are that they're trying to break into the House Chamber. Shots are being fired.

Washington Post reporting that the DoD denied the DCPD's request to utilize the Guard.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6328 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
Holy shit.

Washington Post reporting that the DoD denied the DCPD's request to utilize the Guard.
what the hell?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6329 on: January 06, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
Holy shit.

what the hell?

Trump's cronies letting it play out or there are too many sympathizers?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6330 on: January 06, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »
Reports from Kansas say that protesters have also stormed the Kansas statehouse.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6331 on: January 06, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »
Reports from Kansas say that protesters have also stormed the Kansas statehouse.

What's the reasoning behind that?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6332 on: January 06, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »
I'm hearing similar reports from Georgia. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6333 on: January 06, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  Too much complacency in the USA for too long.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6334 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »
Extra sore LOSERS!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6335 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:42 PM »
Holy shit.

what the hell?

Is this coup supported by the military?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6336 on: January 06, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
Holy shit.

what the hell?

Is this coup supported by the military?

ABC is now reporting that the Guard is finally being activated. 

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6337 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
I'm hearing it's the Virginia National Guard being activated...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6338 on: January 06, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »

Yeah, color me confused. A ruby-red state which just elected a slate of GOP to congress is being stormed by right wing extremists?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6339 on: January 06, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »
There’s a Protester sitting in the Speaker’s chair in the Chamber.

Pelosi’s offices are being ransacked.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #6340 on: January 06, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
I hope this can serve as a wakeup call to some of these Republican congressman. Ted Cruz isn't stupid, but he supported the charade of objecting to the vote as a political game, knowing that it wouldn't lead anywhere. I wonder what he thinks now that this has put our democracy, not to mention himself and his colleagues, in danger.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6341 on: January 06, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »

Yeah, color me confused. A ruby-red state which just elected a slate of GOP to congress is being stormed by right wing extremists?
Trump has spent the last 5 years destroying fact and logic in 90% of Republicans.  Why are you confused about that now?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6342 on: January 06, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
I hope this can serve as a wakeup call to some of these Republican congressman. Ted Cruz isn't stupid, but he supported the charade of objecting to the vote as a political game, knowing that it wouldn't lead anywhere. I wonder what he thinks now that this has put our democracy, not to mention himself and his colleagues, in danger.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of:

"Hee hee hee . . . As long as my base is happy, who gives a shit."

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6343 on: January 06, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »

Pence and McConnell:

"Damn, should've waited a few more minutes before crossing Trump."

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #6344 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »

Pence and McConnell:

"Damn, should've waited a few more minutes before crossing Trump."

Well, at least now McConnell can say: "I told you so."

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6345 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
I expect about the same level of response as was taken in the Seattle CHOP protests.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6346 on: January 06, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
So, I guess the "outrage of the day" is inciting and supporting sedition and insurrection against the United States.

I'm confused because I thought he was supposed to stop that from happening, not do it himself. *shrug*

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6347 on: January 06, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »

The headlines I could googles said "protesters allowed in for peaceful protest" but all Kansas news outlet seem to lock me out due to GDPR...

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6348 on: January 06, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
Protest in Kansas is over. They cleared out.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6349 on: January 06, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
Thanks.  These news outlet GDPR blocks are really annoying.  For paywalls you can at least see the headline but the GDPR blocks are site-wide. :(