Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779590 times)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #6050 on: December 15, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
Someone who got elected in my state. Honestly why they are letting these people shoot their mouth off and say basically treasonous things. Really bad and poisonous to our democracy to feed these stories.  https://www.wral.com/nc-senator-ok-with-suspending-civil-liberties-in-wake-of-trump-s-defeat/19431251/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6051 on: December 15, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »
Someone who got elected in my state. Honestly why they are letting these people shoot their mouth off and say basically treasonous things. Really bad and poisonous to our democracy to feed these stories.  https://www.wral.com/nc-senator-ok-with-suspending-civil-liberties-in-wake-of-trump-s-defeat/19431251/

"I hate conspiracy theorists. Now listen to my conspiracy theories." also "I'm just quoting somebody else's ideas. And I agree."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:10:00 PM by Travis »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6052 on: December 16, 2020, 05:06:48 AM »

It's interesting that he offered to take a psychiatric test out of the blue. The level of projection from Trump and his cult members is fascinating.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6053 on: December 16, 2020, 10:37:53 AM »
We're nowhere near out of the woods.

Former Houston Police Captain Arrested In Alleged Scheme To Prove ‘Voter Fraud’

A former Houston Police Captain was arrested Tuesday after allegedly running a man off the road and restraining him with a pistol in an attempt to prove a nonexistent massive voter fraud scheme in Harris County in exchange for more than $250,000, prosecutors said.

According to an affidavit describing the incident, Former Houston Police Capt. Mark Anthony Aguirre told police that he was a member of a group of private citizens called "Liberty Center for God & Country," and that he and his friends had been conducting 24-hour surveillance on the victim's home.
-----
Aguirre claimed to believe the victim was hiding about 750,000 fraudulent ballots within his truck and home, with Hispanic children being used to sign the ballots because their fingerprints would not appear in any databases, according to prosecutors.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6054 on: December 16, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »

A former Houston Police Captain was arrested Tuesday after allegedly running a man off the road and restraining him with a pistol in an attempt to prove a nonexistent massive voter fraud scheme in Harris County in exchange for more than $250,000, prosecutors said.

According to an affidavit describing the incident, Former Houston Police Capt. Mark Anthony Aguirre told police that he was a member of a group of private citizens called "Liberty Center for God & Country," and that he and his friends had been conducting 24-hour surveillance on the victim's home.
-----
Aguirre claimed to believe the victim was hiding about 750,000 fraudulent ballots within his truck and home, with Hispanic children being used to sign the ballots because their fingerprints would not appear in any databases, according to prosecutors.

Uh, Trump won Texas.  What exactly is he hoping to accomplish, even if he did uncover fraud in Harris county?  Have Trump win Texas even harder?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6055 on: December 16, 2020, 10:47:54 AM »

-----

Uh, Trump won Texas.  What exactly is he hoping to accomplish, even if he did uncover fraud in Harris county?  Have Trump win Texas even harder?

No idea. These people are not operating on a plane of reality.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6056 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »

-----

Whaaa?!? There are a couple things wrong with this story.

1) The claim was about an assembly line of kids signing fake ballots in an HVAC guy's house and the cops searched the victim's home and truck. Is that all it takes? Some former cop telling current cops some cray cray story and you're being frisked, held, and searched?

That's like customs searching incoming ships for ballots from North Korea based on a tweet from Sidney Powell.

2) Also, why did it take so long to arrest him?

I hope the HVAC guy sues the former cop for $250k.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6057 on: December 16, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »

-----

Whaaa?!? There are a couple things wrong with this story.

1) The claim was about an assembly line of kids signing fake ballots in an HVAC guy's house and the cops searched the victim's home and truck. Is that all it takes? Some former cop telling current cops some cray cray story and you're being frisked, held, and searched?

That's like customs searching incoming ships for ballots from North Korea based on a tweet from Sidney Powell.

2) Also, why did it take so long to arrest him?

I hope the HVAC guy sues the former cop for $250k.

He needs to sue for a hell of a lot more in damages, and sue both the former cop and the group that paid him.

And cops tend to protect their own. Hence why it took so long for an arrest in George Floyd's broad-daylight murder.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #6058 on: December 16, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »

-----

Wow, these people are completely insane. The worst part might be that HPD proceeded to search the victim's property for evidence of this crazy theory.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6059 on: December 16, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »

-----

Wow, these people are completely insane. The worst part might be that HPD proceeded to search the victim's property for evidence of this crazy theory.
We will probably see more of this coming out of the fever swamps. Remember Pizzagate, where a guy shot up a pizza parlor believing that there was a sex trafficking ring being run out of the basement and associated with HRC? I think the growth and mainlining of platforms like Parler will breed a lot more of this, and worse.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6060 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Side note: I prefer for my group-think internet forums to encourage mustachianism.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6061 on: December 16, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »
We will probably see more of this coming out of the fever swamps. Remember Pizzagate, where a guy shot up a pizza parlor believing that there was a sex trafficking ring being run out of the basement and associated with HRC? I think the growth and mainlining of platforms like Parler will breed a lot more of this, and worse.

One of the funniest parts of that ridiculous story is that he tried to open a locked closet door with a butter knife because he thought it was the entrance to the basement. The knife didn't work so he shot the lock. (Inside the closet was the computer server handling pizza orders.)

There's certainly a "played too many FPS games" aspect of this movement.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6062 on: December 16, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
And in the "shot yourself in the foot there, buddy" news of the day:

Mar-a-Lago neighbors to Trump: Spend your post-presidency elsewhere

That message was formally delivered Tuesday morning in a demand letter delivered to the town of Palm Beach and also addressed to the U.S. Secret Service asserting that Trump lost his legal right to live at Mar-a-Lago because of an agreement he signed in the early 1990s when he converted the storied estate from his private residence to a private club. The legal maneuver could, at long last, force Palm Beach to publicly address whether Trump can make Mar-a-Lago his legal residence and home, as he has been expected to do, when he becomes an ex-president after the swearing-in of Joe Biden on Jan. 20.
------
The current residency controversy tracks back to a deal Trump cut in 1993 when his finances were foundering, and the cost of maintaining Mar-a-Lago was soaring into the multimillions each year. Under the agreement, club members are banned from spending more than 21 days a year in the club’s guest suites and cannot stay there for any longer than seven consecutive days. Before the arrangement was sealed, an attorney for Trump assured the town council in a public meeting that he would not live at Mar-a-Lago.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6063 on: December 16, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
I hope those Palm Beach people are going to fight for what is right. He knows the agreement but as usual, never wants to abide by the rules. From what I read somewhere else too, is that Melania's parents either live there now or will be living there. Same deal for them. Nobody is supposed to stay more than 21 days a year or more than 7 days in a row. The helicopter pad at Mara Lago is supposed to be ripped up as soon as he is done being president. The neighbors are sick of the noise. Knowing the way Trump is, he will refuse to have the pad ripped out.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6065 on: December 16, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »
You go, Trump! Seriously. Go. Now.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/with-five-weeks-left-in-his-term-trump-claims-victory-on-shower-head-pressure/ar-BB1bYGZX?ocid=msedgntp

I mean, I guess if I had to wash out that much hair spray and spray tan/stage makeup every day, I'd want high pressure too...

But I'm not that vain or spoiled.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6066 on: December 16, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »
A few more groups could be added to the list (QAnon, 'Deep-State' etc), but this seems as relevant today as it was in 2013:

Source: xkcd.com

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6067 on: December 16, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/with-five-weeks-left-in-his-term-trump-claims-victory-on-shower-head-pressure/ar-BB1bYGZX?ocid=msedgntp

I mean, I guess if I had to wash out that much hair spray and spray tan/stage makeup every day, I'd want high pressure too...

This was obviously a much bigger priority than working on some sort of covid response.  And look at the results!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6068 on: December 16, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »

This was obviously a much bigger priority than working on some sort of covid response.  And look at the results!

Who flushes the toilet 10, 15 times?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6069 on: December 16, 2020, 02:26:14 PM »

Well . . . if you survive on burger king and KFC . . .

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6070 on: December 16, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6071 on: December 16, 2020, 02:36:32 PM »

Yeah, I think Trump might be telling on himself with this one...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6072 on: December 16, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »
All he does is project.  You can all but guarantee that anytime he rails about anything it's directly related to him.  "people" are flushing 10, 15 times?  That means he does.  Biden's family is corrupt? That means his is corrupt.  The election is rigged and democrats stole it?  That means he cheated and tried to rig it, and now he's pissed that despite that he still lost. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6073 on: December 16, 2020, 03:48:00 PM »
"We want them infected."
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

See also: Trump admin downplaying of virus, muzzling of the scientific community, pushes to open schools early, etc. 15,000 Americans are dying of this every week. How's that working our for us? I don't know if outrageous even comes close to describing their handling of the pandemic.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6074 on: December 16, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »

Agreed. When you're as full of shit as he is, it probably takes 10-15 flushes.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6075 on: December 16, 2020, 05:12:22 PM »

Agreed. When you're as full of shit as he is, it probably takes 10-15 flushes.
.... and does he yell, "Drain the swamp!" every time he pushes the lever?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6076 on: December 16, 2020, 05:54:53 PM »

-----

Waiting to hear when the governor/Lt governor offers Aguirre a medal or to pay his legal fees.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6077 on: December 17, 2020, 04:25:15 AM »

Japanese women before the invention of the sound princess (otohime).

I don't know if Trump has one, but if he has, with all his shit the poor lady has to be freed because of overtime violations.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #6078 on: December 17, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »

Japanese women before the invention of the sound princess (otohime).

I don't know if Trump has one, but if he has, with all his shit the poor lady has to be freed because of overtime violations.
Had no idea what a sound princess was.

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/japanese-sound-princess/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #6079 on: December 17, 2020, 03:07:16 PM »
Finally, some good news!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/17/nuclear-agency-hacked-officials-inform-congress-447855

Oh wait, that's bad news.

Maybe Trump should have appointed someone to head the DOE who didn't advocate for it to be abolished.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6080 on: December 17, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
Finally, some good news!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/17/nuclear-agency-hacked-officials-inform-congress-447855

Oh wait, that's bad news.

Maybe Trump should have appointed someone to head the DOE who didn't advocate for it to be abolished.

Tens of thousands of govt agencies and private companies compromised in the same attack.  Scary nonetheless.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6081 on: December 18, 2020, 07:36:09 AM »

I think very little of the blame can be allocated to Trump or his appointees in this case. Supply-chain attacks are incredibly difficult for the end user to defend against or detect, and this sounds like a very sophisticated one.

A supply-chain attack is when a legitimate company that you buy software from is compromised, and then they ship something to you to that lets the hacker into your system too. Imagine Microsoft was hacked and then one of the Windows Updates included the hacker's code that let them in to your computer. How would you even know anything was wrong? You were doing everything right, even keeping your system up to date with security updates.

Edit: Of course, the fact that the White House seems to be completely uninterested in doing anything about it can be blamed on Trump. "Stunning", according to Mitt Romney.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:40:43 AM by sherr »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6082 on: December 18, 2020, 07:40:20 AM »
curiously, lots of Trump supporters believe that the SCOTUS is in on the steal as well.

“It’s clear the election has been stolen,” said Mark Paul Jones of Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania, who sported a tricorner Revolutionary War hat as he walked toward the Supreme Court with his wife.

Trump “is being railroaded out of office,” he said, adding that Biden won with the complicity of the Supreme Court, FBI, Department of Justice and CIA. The Supreme Court “didn’t even take the time to hear the case,” Jones said.

I've have to wonder if the US will split in half somehow.    As long as the smaller population in rural states can enable control of the senate for the Republicans the US seems to be stuck in this gridlock.

If the mid-Atlantic, New England, and West Coast seceded, the US would once again become the best country in the world. You could donate the remaining states to Mexico. Allow free movement for 30 days before the secession so that people can cross to their preferred areas first.

That would make homeowners really happy. Tied down and 30 days until a national reorganization? That fictional situation ought to make anyone with a job twitchy too. How would you know that you'd have a job on the "other side"?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6083 on: December 18, 2020, 08:39:40 AM »
curiously, lots of Trump supporters believe that the SCOTUS is in on the steal as well.

“It’s clear the election has been stolen,” said Mark Paul Jones of Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania, who sported a tricorner Revolutionary War hat as he walked toward the Supreme Court with his wife.

Trump “is being railroaded out of office,” he said, adding that Biden won with the complicity of the Supreme Court, FBI, Department of Justice and CIA. The Supreme Court “didn’t even take the time to hear the case,” Jones said.

I've have to wonder if the US will split in half somehow.    As long as the smaller population in rural states can enable control of the senate for the Republicans the US seems to be stuck in this gridlock.

If the mid-Atlantic, New England, and West Coast seceded, the US would once again become the best country in the world. You could donate the remaining states to Mexico. Allow free movement for 30 days before the secession so that people can cross to their preferred areas first.

That would make homeowners really happy. Tied down and 30 days until a national reorganization? That fictional situation ought to make anyone with a job twitchy too. How would you know that you'd have a job on the "other side"?

It's a pretty harsh idea altogether.

Mid-Atlantic, New England, and the West coast . . . that's the most productive area in America.  The rest of the US would rapidly devolve into a third world country.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6084 on: December 18, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
All these Russian hacking attacks - maybe this is Trump's equivalent to breaking all the furniture and dishes on his way out.

I'm 50/50 on whether he is a Russian operative or has some obligations to the Russians.

I'm not a conspiracy nut and I'm perfectly patient to wait 10-15 years for Trump to get old and die, and see if the rest of the story will come out.   

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6085 on: December 18, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
All these Russian hacking attacks - maybe this is Trump's equivalent to breaking all the furniture and dishes on his way out.

I'm 50/50 on whether he is a Russian operative or has some obligations to the Russians.

I'm not a conspiracy nut and I'm perfectly patient to wait 10-15 years for Trump to get old and die, and see if the rest of the story will come out.

Putin is a dictator who doesn't take shit from anyone and makes decisions without the pesky courts interfering. He enriches himself and his friends. He's feared around the world.

The simplest explanation is that Putin is everything that Trump wants to be.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:04:06 AM by bacchi »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6086 on: December 18, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
They forgot to mention that Trump is being railroaded out of office with the complicity of the American public. Basically there are millions in on this conspiracy, all the people who voted trump out. The rest of the "complicity" is simply gov arms letting the will of the public prevail, and not intervene by propping up the losing incumbent prez. Maybe that's not as exciting to say...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:16:38 AM by partgypsy »

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #6087 on: December 18, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »

I think very little of the blame can be allocated to Trump or his appointees in this case. Supply-chain attacks are incredibly difficult for the end user to defend against or detect, and this sounds like a very sophisticated one.

A supply-chain attack is when a legitimate company that you buy software from is compromised, and then they ship something to you to that lets the hacker into your system too. Imagine Microsoft was hacked and then one of the Windows Updates included the hacker's code that let them in to your computer. How would you even know anything was wrong? You were doing everything right, even keeping your system up to date with security updates.

Edit: Of course, the fact that the White House seems to be completely uninterested in doing anything about it can be blamed on Trump. "Stunning", according to Mitt Romney.

I think this attack was probably years in the making, so nothing Perry could have done to prevent it, even if he had been doing his job. It also seems to be quite widespread. The lack of reaction though, as Romney put it, is stunning.

I imagine the Trump administration's stance on Russia over the past few years has also made them more comfortable with carrying out such attacks. We have a president who openly sides with Putin against his fellow countrymen, dismissing reports and warnings and basically displaying a total lack of any balls whatsoever.

This aged well:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/817748207694467072
Having a good relationship with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. Only "stupid" people, or fools, would think that it is bad!

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #6088 on: December 18, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
This is quite the report. I might pay for BI to read the whole thing:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/12/bombshell-report-jared-kushner-set-up-shell-company-that-diverted-campaign-cash-to-trump-family-members/

Jared Kushner helped set up a shell company that secretly paid President Donald Trump’s family members and spent nearly half of his 2020 campaign’s funds.

The president’s son-in-law and White House senior adviser directed his sister-in-law Lara Trump, Vice President Mike Pence’s nephew John Pence and Trump campaign CFO Sean Dollman to sit on the shell company’s board, a source familiar with the operation told Business Insider.

The company, which was incorporated as American Made Media Consultants Corporation and American Made Media Consultants LLC, spent $617 million of the campaign’s $1.26 billion war chest, according to campaign finance records.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6089 on: December 18, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »
This is quite the report. I might pay for BI to read the whole thing:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/12/bombshell-report-jared-kushner-set-up-shell-company-that-diverted-campaign-cash-to-trump-family-members/

Jared Kushner helped set up a shell company that secretly paid President Donald Trump’s family members and spent nearly half of his 2020 campaign’s funds.

The president’s son-in-law and White House senior adviser directed his sister-in-law Lara Trump, Vice President Mike Pence’s nephew John Pence and Trump campaign CFO Sean Dollman to sit on the shell company’s board, a source familiar with the operation told Business Insider.

The company, which was incorporated as American Made Media Consultants Corporation and American Made Media Consultants LLC, spent $617 million of the campaign’s $1.26 billion war chest, according to campaign finance records.

Holy cow, half of their campaign funds? Advertising and rallies and such may not be able to buy many votes, but they can probably buy some. Given how close the election was in the tipping point state I'd wager that would have almost certainly pushed them over the edge.

But maybe not, maybe literally everyone already had their opinions set on Trump and nothing would convince them otherwise. Besides, the point of the Presidency has always been to put as much money in Trump Family pockets as possible, so who's to say that a second term would have been more profitable for them than $600 mil?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6090 on: December 18, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »
Isn't there quite a bit of evidence that campaign spending doesn't do much to change the outcome of an election because more viable candidates tend to raise more money than crappy ones?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6091 on: December 18, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
Just as a reminder of exactly how long this last year has been, today is the one year anniversary of Trump's impeachment in the House. It seems like an eternity ago.
https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hres755/BILLS-116hres755enr.pdf

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6092 on: December 19, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
Just as a reminder of exactly how long this last year has been, today is the one year anniversary of Trump's impeachment in the House. It seems like an eternity ago.

I feel like the time would have gone quicker if there had been any consequence or repercussion at all for the impeachment.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6093 on: December 19, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »

I feel like the time would have gone quicker if there had been any consequence or repercussion at all for the impeachment.
But he learned his lesson!  - Sen Susan Collins

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6094 on: December 19, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
I read a reasonably crappy book (Total Power by Kyle Mills) a few weeks ago about this guy who hacked the US electric grid and tried to sell it around, eventually partnering with some middle eastern terrorists to actually bring down the grid. Chaos ensues, violence, looting, government on the verge of collapse, the usual fiction stuff. The premise seemed plausible and then the rest of the book went downhill.

In any case the author had a note at the end in which he commented that he was surprised how vulnerable our grid is as part of the research he did for his writing.

Now we have proof that we have been hacked and much more than what the book imagined, and I’m thinking back to what the author had imagined happening to our society should do one actually choose to pull the plug.

Can someone give me reasons why I shouldn’t think we could have things collapse around us should whoever holds the keys to the kingdom now think it would be fun to watch us struggle?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6095 on: December 19, 2020, 04:17:32 PM »
I read a reasonably crappy book (Total Power by Kyle Mills) a few weeks ago about this guy who hacked the US electric grid and tried to sell it around, eventually partnering with some middle eastern terrorists to actually bring down the grid. Chaos ensues, violence, looting, government on the verge of collapse, the usual fiction stuff. The premise seemed plausible and then the rest of the book went downhill.

In any case the author had a note at the end in which he commented that he was surprised how vulnerable our grid is as part of the research he did for his writing.

Now we have proof that we have been hacked and much more than what the book imagined, and I’m thinking back to what the author had imagined happening to our society should do one actually choose to pull the plug.

Can someone give me reasons why I shouldn’t think we could have things collapse around us should whoever holds the keys to the kingdom now think it would be fun to watch us struggle?

Someone more knowledgeable will likely chime in...  but I know enough to know that our electrical grid is very vulnerable and in need of hardening.  It is a significant amount of money but we would be DOA without the grid.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6096 on: December 19, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »

This is the sector I work in and a few weeks into the job I came home and told my wife that we need to buy a generator. We all go around fat dumb and happy when we flip the switch and the light comes on but few people realize how insecure and how quick it could change.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6097 on: December 19, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »

Someone more knowledgeable will likely chime in...  but I know enough to know that our electrical grid is very vulnerable and in need of hardening.  It is a significant amount of money but we would be DOA without the grid.
I can say we have made great progress in the last ~ 5 years, I was appalled when I first started some of the most simple security considerations were not even in place but it has been a fast and furious transformation where I am but it has been a bunch of hard work and a complete change in culture.

Lots of attention being paid to the ICS cyber security side of things now days and expect that it will take an even bigger role after last week.

CISA has some great training that is free. The ones for managers are a great general overview of cyber security and ICS.

https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics/Training-Available-Through-ICS-CERT

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6098 on: December 19, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »

This is the sector I work in and a few weeks into the job I came home and told my wife that we need to buy a generator. We all go around fat dumb and happy when we flip the switch and the light comes on but few people realize how insecure and how quick it could change.

On the occasional time where the grid does go down in Australia, much of the usual right-wing suspects blames renewables. Even when you can quite clearly point to photos of downed transmission towers that have been knocked over in the storm, the pro-coal lobby will come out and say "See! Wind power is bunkum".

The past decade our state governments have been selling off the generation assets to private operators. A certain oriental country was up in arms about being knocked back from buying them.

I have few issues selling to a private consortium of investors. Most of us draw a line when that investor has links to a foreign authoritarian government.

But heaven help us if a cyber attack does occur ... everyone will shout at governments to "do something" but what can they do when they don't own any of the assets?

Having off-grid solar with battery backup sounds like a necessity as time goes on.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #6099 on: December 19, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »

On the occasional time where the grid does go down in Australia, much of the usual right-wing suspects blames renewables. Even when you can quite clearly point to photos of downed transmission towers that have been knocked over in the storm, the pro-coal lobby will come out and say "See! Wind power is bunkum".

The past decade our state governments have been selling off the generation assets to private operators. A certain oriental country was up in arms about being knocked back from buying them.

I have few issues selling to a private consortium of investors. Most of us draw a line when that investor has links to a foreign authoritarian government.

But heaven help us if a cyber attack does occur ... everyone will shout at governments to "do something" but what can they do when they don't own any of the assets?

Having off-grid solar with battery backup sounds like a necessity as time goes on.

Here in the US most of it is owned by companies or cooperatives so while the government does not own the assets they provide regulation (EPA, NERC, FERC and CIP compliance for example) as well as education, monitor for threats at various agencies, provide early alerts and assistance in dealing with cyber and other threats so they do have a role here.