Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779739 times)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #5500 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
I think this will die out after thanksgiving because the lawsuits will be dismissed and Turkey Day!!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5501 on: November 11, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5502 on: November 12, 2020, 03:59:09 AM »
It was a hoax anyway and I never did it!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5503 on: November 12, 2020, 06:22:24 AM »
The fake news media isn't reporting the real story. That's Hillary Clinton's emails.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5504 on: November 12, 2020, 06:40:49 AM »
The fake news media isn't reporting the real story. That's Hillary Clinton's emails.

Benghazi !!!!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5505 on: November 12, 2020, 06:44:32 AM »

Benghazi !!!!!

Pizzagate!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5506 on: November 12, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
Both things can be true:

• The varied actions that team Trump is taking to build a narrative that Trump didn't lose are so weak that Trump won't stay President, and
  • They still undermine the incoming President's ability to build and focus public attention the way he needs to lead

Pres. Biden will have an unusual challenge trying to do the job while there's a shadow President like Trump. I wonder if it was like this for Taft once Teddy Roosevelt started openly criticizing him.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5507 on: November 12, 2020, 07:03:08 AM »
Yes, as I said they can refuse. And probably should. But the decision is still in the client. I don't know how it is in the US, but at least at lower courts you should be able to go without lawyer, so even if all lawyers say no you can sue. 

And if a lawsuit is frivolous is decided by the judge, not the lawyer (who of course has his opinions). Especially in case law systems there seems to be everything possible.

I mean even in Germany, if it is something about the press and you want a common sense defying judging, you go to LG Hamburg. There is even a website named after the president of that court chamber with a list of awkward rulings.

This may clarify some of the issue with Trump's frivolous, unfounded lawsuits: https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/lawyers-litigating-for-trump-suddenly-remember-their-licenses-are-on-the-line-if-they-lie-to-a-judge/ (link provided by a US lawyer of my acquaintance).

I can't imagine someone serious about the law and good at their job would be expected to file such a case with no basis. Perhaps they should be sanctioned. They're wasting the court's time and taxpayers' money.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5508 on: November 12, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »

What if we spray bleach on it?

Edited to add: a person IRL made a point to remind me yesterday that Biden is a pedophile...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:34:04 AM by Just Joe »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5509 on: November 12, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »
Twist: that person who thought Biden was a pedophile voted for him anyway because he wanted a democratic President to be a check on McConnell's ambitions.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5510 on: November 12, 2020, 08:04:16 AM »
Twist: that person who thought Biden was a pedophile voted for him anyway because he wanted a democratic President to be a check on McConnell's ambitions.

Double Twist: That person was M. Night Shyamalan

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5511 on: November 12, 2020, 08:24:08 AM »

Has Trump done nothing outrageous today to warrant conversation?

Oh, here's something - now he's claiming there's a "Medical Deep State" which is out to get him.  The apparent 'evidence' here is that Pfizer announced the results of its preliminary vaccine trials a week AFTER the election, thereby 'stealing' it from him.

Doesn't take much to sink this notion.  While Pfizer is participating in the government's distribution efforts, they didn't sign on to 'Project Warp Speed's' vaccine development.  So basically Trump's own government-funded effort to develop a vaccine "in record time" failed to outpace private industry. And a quick glance at Pfizer's trial results nothing nefarious about the timing... the company announced its results as soon as it could, and by 'typical' vaccine standards actually rushed the announcement.  The data wasn't available to make an announcement before Nov 3rd.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5512 on: November 12, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
He acts like he is the inventor and has not been given credit for inventing the vaccine.

Glad they didn't announce results till after the election! Hahaha! They probably did do that on purpose to not interfere with the election. Trump would have been pounding his chest like King Kong taking credit!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5513 on: November 12, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »

He's been uncharacteristically quiet. His followers, on the other hand, not so much.

For example, I'm sure this event on Saturday will go well, with absolutely no violence and no calls for outright sedition and treason:

Politico: MAGA nation tries to rally around Trump with MAGApalooza

Notably, organizers have not filed for permits, according to a spokesperson for the D.C. Metropolitan Police.

------

Rhodes, the Oath Keeper leader, has vowed to station armed “special warfare veterans” outside the city on Saturday, placing them outside the jurisdiction of Washington’s gun control laws. But he has made similar pledges before that have not materialized.

Regardless of what they do, Rhodes’ sentiment — and those of his fellow MAGA pilgrims — is clear: “We must refuse to EVER recognize this as a legitimate election, and refuse to recognize Biden as a legitimate winner, and refuse to ever recognize him as the president of the United States.”
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:39:46 AM by OtherJen »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5514 on: November 12, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
He acts like he is the inventor and has not been given credit for inventing the vaccine.

Glad they didn't announce results till after the election! Hahaha! They probably did do that on purpose to not interfere with the election. Trump would have been pounding his chest like King Kong taking credit!
The CEO of Pfizer answered that question on national TV and said it was released when the science said they had enough data and was not timed around the election.  This forum is a great place.  Let's not let it be the start of new conspiracy theories.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5515 on: November 12, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »

He's been uncharacteristically quiet. His followers, on the other hand, not so much.

For example, I'm sure this event on Saturday will go well, with absolutely no violence and no calls for outright sedition and treason:

MAGA nation tries to rally around Trump with MAGApalooza
He is silent because he is fuming.  That much has been coming out through aides.  Every legal challenge is being dismissed in 48-72 hours and they are running out of time for his narrative to fulfill itself.  As more states certify suits cannot really be effective and eventually cases will be dismissed simply for lack of standing, as no harm can come for a person who has already lost with certified results.  Unless they could produce enough actual evidence to overturn a state, which they cannot because there is none, this is over. 

The bad part is he is not even doing the pitiful job he was doing as president.  His public schedule shows nothing of actual work.  All he is doing is fixating on this narrative that he can do the impossible.  We are glad the supporters are rallying around the baby in chief so they can make him feel better.  Very sad that needs to happen with a 74 year old man.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5517 on: November 12, 2020, 09:04:25 AM »
How about turning up half an hour late for the 11 o'clock two minute silence at Arlington cemetary?

https://www.metro.news/late-arrival-donald-trump-carries-on-his-tirade-on-veterans-day/2217804/

Pitiful.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5518 on: November 12, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
How about turning up half an hour late for the 11 o'clock two minute silence at Arlington cemetary?

https://www.metro.news/late-arrival-donald-trump-carries-on-his-tirade-on-veterans-day/2217804/

Pitiful.

This shouldn't even be slightly surprising given Trump's past comments.

"Why should I go to that cemetery? It's filled with losers." - President Trump, pride of Republicans

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5519 on: November 12, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »

Pitiful.

"Why should I go to that cemetery? It's filled with losers." - President Trump, pride of Republicans

Let's not forget that attacks on mail.in ballots are attacks on military voters:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/11/10/gop-list-of-alleged-voter-fraud-nevada-contains-hundreds-of-military-addresses.html

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5520 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
Rhodes, the Oath Keeper leader, has vowed to station armed “special warfare veterans” outside the city on Saturday, placing them outside the jurisdiction of Washington’s gun control laws. But he has made similar pledges before that have not materialized.

Regardless of what they do, Rhodes’ sentiment — and those of his fellow MAGA pilgrims — is clear: “We must refuse to EVER recognize this as a legitimate election, and refuse to recognize Biden as a legitimate winner, and refuse to ever recognize him as the president of the United States.”
[/quote]

So the Oath keeper lied? Surely not... ;)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5521 on: November 12, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »

Pitiful.

Let's not forget that attacks on mail.in ballots are attacks on military voters:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/11/10/gop-list-of-alleged-voter-fraud-nevada-contains-hundreds-of-military-addresses.html

My cross post from another thread:

At least one of Trump's lawsuits seeks to throw out a few thousand votes in Nevada because the voters postmarked their ballots from Pearl Harbor. You know, that place with thousands of military service members who move a lot.

Yes, ballots legally cast by service members who were in Nevada, and then got transferred elsewhere because military.  He's suing to throw out those legal ballots.  On Veterans Day.  This timeline is so fucking surreal.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5522 on: November 12, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »

Pitiful.

Yes, and last week when Philly only had Military ballots left to count and he and his supporters were shouting “Stop The Count!” he was effectively trying to disenfranchise the troops.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5523 on: November 12, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »
Maybe an unarmed military ought to march on the WH and protest real obnoxiously? ;)

Or better yet, remember this clearly and vote for someone else next time. Meanwhile give the rest of the GOP an ear full.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5524 on: November 12, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »
Here's your daily WTF. You cannot make up this shit.

Reuters: Trump campaign surveys supporters over perceived attack by Fox News

The campaign surveys, which were emailed to supporters and available on its website this week, includes questions such as “Do you agree Fox News should recall their Arizona projection for Joe Biden?” and “Do you agree media outlets, such as Fox News, should be held accountable for misleading the public?”

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5525 on: November 12, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »
And here's a real outrage:

Bridge Magazine: Five suits now target Michigan’s election. One seeks to toss out 1.2M votes.

One new federal lawsuit, filed Wednesday with the U.S. District Court in west Michigan on behalf of four Michigan voters, contains no original allegation and rehashes other lawsuits as well as tweets and blog posts. It seeks to eliminate all of the votes in Wayne, Washtenaw and Ingham counties.

That would mean invalidating over 1.2 million votes from the election — or over 20 percent of the record 5.5 million votes cast in Michigan. It would also mean Trump, rather than losing by 147,000 votes, would win by over 322,000 votes.

(That includes my county, by the way. Shit is getting personal.)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #5526 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:18 AM »

Oh, here's something - now he's claiming there's a "Medical Deep State" which is out to get him.  The apparent 'evidence' here is that Pfizer announced the results of its preliminary vaccine trials a week AFTER the election, thereby 'stealing' it from him.

Doesn't take much to sink this notion.  While Pfizer is participating in the government's distribution efforts, they didn't sign on to 'Project Warp Speed's' vaccine development.  So basically Trump's own government-funded effort to develop a vaccine "in record time" failed to outpace private industry. And a quick glance at Pfizer's trial results nothing nefarious about the timing... the company announced its results as soon as it could, and by 'typical' vaccine standards actually rushed the announcement.  The data wasn't available to make an announcement before Nov 3rd.
To be fair, the BioNtech-Pfizer cooperation got funded through Germany and the EU: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2081

So I wouldn't call it private industry but publicly funded private industry. This is not all that uncommon in the EU because when private industry finances something like this by itself, the cost for the medicine is usually prohibitively high.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5527 on: November 13, 2020, 08:46:39 AM »
So I wouldn't call it private industry but publicly funded private industry. This is not all that uncommon in the EU because when private industry finances something like this by itself, the cost for the medicine is usually prohibitively high.

In the US, when an NIH government grant helps research medicine, the cost for the medicine is still usually prohibitively high.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5528 on: November 13, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »

Bridge Magazine: Five suits now target Michigan’s election. One seeks to toss out 1.2M votes.

One new federal lawsuit, filed Wednesday with the U.S. District Court in west Michigan on behalf of four Michigan voters, contains no original allegation and rehashes other lawsuits as well as tweets and blog posts. It seeks to eliminate all of the votes in Wayne, Washtenaw and Ingham counties.

That would mean invalidating over 1.2 million votes from the election — or over 20 percent of the record 5.5 million votes cast in Michigan. It would also mean Trump, rather than losing by 147,000 votes, would win by over 322,000 votes.

Snort. The Judge should penalize the lawyer for filing a frivolous suit.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5529 on: November 13, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
Were Trump's flurry of political rallies before the election "super-spreader events"?  Early signs point to an emphatic YES

More than 130 secret service officers are currently infected with Covid and/or quarantining due to exposure from Trump's rallies the final week of his campaign.

Hooollllllyy Crap.
Meanwhile, the US has hit new records for daily cases 4 days in a row. 
Wrong direction people!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5530 on: November 13, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »

I’m hoping that will happen. Isn’t there a glut of people with JDs? Maybe it’s time to disbar the ones filing these suits.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5531 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
Were Trump's flurry of political rallies before the election "super-spreader events"?  Early signs point to an emphatic YES

More than 130 secret service officers are currently infected with Covid and/or quarantining due to exposure from Trump's rallies the final week of his campaign.

Hooollllllyy Crap.
Wrong direction people!!
The human toll of Trump's incompetence and willful disregard are continually shocking and saddening. Shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave and try to get away with it? Why set the bar at killing so few people and get away with it? Coming into the holidays with hospital capacity in rural areas already strained, I am scared for what the rest of 2020 has in store.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5532 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »

I’m hoping that will happen. Isn’t there a glut of people with JDs? Maybe it’s time to disbar the ones filing these suits.

Attorneys can in fact be disbarred for filing disingenuous litigation.  However, the standards are so permissive that typically they must be filing motions which run contrary to the facts known to the attorney at the time of filing. Here the law firms would have to be filing litigation based on evidence they themselves know to be demonstrably untrue.

It will be interesting to see if any are taken to task for exactly this in the years to come (bar reviews tend to move very slowly).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5533 on: November 13, 2020, 09:19:14 AM »

Hooollllllyy Crap.
Wrong direction people!!
The human toll of Trump's incompetence and willful disregard are continually shocking and saddening. Shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave and try to get away with it? Why set the bar at killing so few people and get away with it? Coming into the holidays with hospital capacity in rural areas already strained, I am scared for what the rest of 2020 has in store.

After enjoying some relaxation and returns to quasi-normalicy, we are going back into full lockdown in our family, at least until case loads drop down to more reasonable levels in our region.  Unfortunately, we're in an exponential growth phase here (as is much of hte country).  Given the delays between detection and peak symptoms, I do not see how thanksgiving-weekend will be anything but a total and utter poo-storm here.  Decemeber has the dubious potential of being much worse unless people start acting a lot more responsibly very soon.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5534 on: November 13, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »

USA is #1! USA is #1!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:23:50 AM by frugalnacho »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5535 on: November 13, 2020, 11:05:21 AM »

Hooollllllyy Crap.
Wrong direction people!!

To be fair, practically everyone is going up hard at the moment. Not least my Germany.
In my local kindergarden a uh.. teacher?? had gone to work with smyptomes, thinking it wouldn't be Covid since we had nearly no cases all the time. (Still even with just a cold, going to work, not least a kindergarden - haaa???)
Well, 2 children got it from her and the kindergarden is closed. Or was until today I think. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5536 on: November 13, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
How is there basis for disenfranchising 1.2 million votes? This is crazy (and scary)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5537 on: November 13, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
@partgypsy - there is not any basis and Jim Bopp among others should be disbarred for suggesting this without evidence.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5538 on: November 13, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
How is there basis for disenfranchising 1.2 million votes? This is crazy (and scary)

Immaculate deception: you just have to believe that these votes are invalid. Asking for proof is heretical.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5539 on: November 13, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
Sources indicate that Trump campaign is giving up on contesting Arizona.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5540 on: November 13, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
Sources indicate that Trump campaign is giving up on contesting Arizona.
Personally I'm not outraged to see them give up on contesting Arizona ;-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5541 on: November 13, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »

There's no basis. I'm >99% certain that this will get laughed out of court like all the rest so far. I'm disgusted at the audacity of Trump and co. wanting to throw out so many of our votes just because he's throwing a tantrum. Good lord.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5542 on: November 13, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
I imagine the case will go exactly like it does when I tell my 3 year old he can't do stupid and dangerous shit.

What's the basis of this suit to throw out 1.2M ballots?

I want to.

Ok that's not a real reason.  You can't throw just out any votes without a valid reason.  That's not how this works.

But I want to.

Ok, again, you can't just throw votes out you don't like, it doesn't work like that.  We have to follow the rules.  I don't care what you want, you need evidence and a compelling reason.

But I want to!

Ok, send the president to bed, he's obviously over tired.

*Frantic tantrum tweeting on way to time out*

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5543 on: November 13, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
I imagine the case will go exactly like it does when I tell my 3 year old he can't do stupid and dangerous shit.

I want to.

Ok that's not a real reason.  You can't throw just out any votes without a valid reason.  That's not how this works.

But I want to.

Ok, again, you can't just throw votes out you don't like, it doesn't work like that.  We have to follow the rules.  I don't care what you want, you need evidence and a compelling reason.

But I want to!

I mean, no one has ever told him “No” before (or if they did, he steamrolled over them, did what he wanted, and got away with it). He needs a timeout. On Supernanny, toddlers always throw the most epic tantrums in the first-ever timeout because no one had ever bothered to discipline them properly and it becomes a battle for control. I’m amazed that someone can get to 74 before hitting this wall. What a coddled life he’s led.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5544 on: November 13, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »

I want to.

But I want to.

But I want to!

Pro parenting tip:  Make sure you take away all screens before sending them to their room.  Otherwise they'll just spend hours on social media.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5545 on: November 13, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »
Well, Georgia has been called for Biden. Recount highly unlikely to change that. The electoral college and popular vote have both spoken pretty clearly. At what point does this type of election-undermining activity become legally problematic for Trump?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5546 on: November 13, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
The judges could start sanctioning the lawyers for filing frivolous, baseless lawsuits. Hopefully the lawyers' names become widely known. I wouldn't ever hire someone willing to trash their profession like that.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #5547 on: November 13, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »
Just turned on the TV and noticed there was a live Trump speech and thought let me see what this is about maybe it is his concession speech.

It was about the vaccines and operation warp speed but he said something that made me stop and rewind.

He said that it will be going out to everywhere in the US except New York because the governor has said he does not trust it and has said bad things in the press.

Did the governor of NY actually refuse it or is this just Trump playing politics and withholding it because he did not kiss trumps ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5548 on: November 13, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
If Trump said it, assume it is a lie. Saves a lot of time, and that statement seems like something that would play to his base off hand.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #5549 on: November 13, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
If Trump said it, assume it is a lie. Saves a lot of time, and that statement seems like something that would play to his base off hand.
Agreed, it was just so insane hearing it that I had to do a double take and was like why would the leader of the country say such a thing.

Then I remembered it was Trump. Guess I let my guard down since it has been pretty quiet for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk