Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779118 times)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #5150 on: November 01, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »
I had a MAGAtard caravan roll through my street today, about 6 or 7 pickups with flags honking horns and they circled a few times.  Of course I went out and flipped them off.  Then it started to rain, on their parade, LOL.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5151 on: November 02, 2020, 02:13:06 AM »
I had a MAGAtard caravan roll through my street today, about 6 or 7 pickups with flags honking horns and they circled a few times.  Of course I went out and flipped them off.  Then it started to rain, on their parade, LOL.
(This post also belongs in the Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance thread.)

Thank you for standing up to the bullies.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5152 on: November 02, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »
I don't live where such a thing accurs.
I always have wanted to blast the Star Wars Imperial March at the neonazi "concerned citizens" when they march down a street.

In case you are not sure what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv5sPu0C1E

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5153 on: November 02, 2020, 04:36:47 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/01/us/elections/trump-defends-texas-drivers-who-surrounded-biden-bus-while-presidents-supporters-block-traffic-in-new-york-and-new-jersey.html

I got lucky yesterday and the Trump train must've turned around, because I was heading north to go buy a used stove and the southbound lane of the bridge was utterly packed with many dozens of Trump-flag-bearing vehicles, numerous vehicles displaying red/blue emergency lights, and fire trucks with flags/etc.

I didn't know it was legal for tax-funded emergency vehicles to be rolling down the highway displaying Trump flags.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5154 on: November 02, 2020, 05:00:42 AM »
I don't live where such a thing accurs.
Neither do I, my area is NOT Trump country.  They probably got back from blocking the bridge/turnpike and decided to continue it.  The blue line flags are creepy as hell and scream proto-fascist.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:44:44 AM by jim555 »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5155 on: November 02, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
That Texas bus incident on I-35 was pretty bad, though. I am a registered Republican--who grew up in the county where it happened--and I disavow it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5156 on: November 02, 2020, 07:06:18 AM »
I didn't know it was legal for tax-funded emergency vehicles to be rolling down the highway displaying Trump flags.

. . . are we still getting upset about the legality of things any more?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5157 on: November 02, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »

. . . are we still getting upset about the legality of things any more?

Seriously. It's only illegal when the other side does it. If Trump's cult followers do it, it's totally fine in MAGA-land. He's got the full backing of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Gee, I feel safe. Can't wait to fend off armed Trump-bots as a poll worker tomorrow. They're acting under encouragement from their leader.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5159 on: November 02, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
I'm seeing lots of new trump signs go up recently, especially the "Trump 2020.  No more bullshit!"

Such an odd slogan for an incumbent.  Come to think of it so is "Make America Great Again!" and "Make America Great Again, Again!"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5160 on: November 02, 2020, 07:59:50 AM »
I'm seeing lots of new trump signs go up recently, especially the "Trump 2020.  No more bullshit!"

Such an odd slogan for an incumbent.  Come to think of it so is "Make America Great Again!" and "Make America Great Again, Again!"

Yep. Probably also used proudly by the same people who figuratively clutched their pearls, fainted, and blathered about morality when my district's rep swore in public in early 2019.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5161 on: November 02, 2020, 08:17:40 AM »
I cannot help but feel like Team Trump was trying to time things so that the surge would happen during the weekend and through tomorrow.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5162 on: November 02, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »
Until the last presidential election, I had never felt that a particular result would fundamentally shift the way people viewed the office of the presidency.  Had McCain, Romney, Gore, Kerry, Dole, Perot or Dukakis won, it never occurred to me that the presidency itself would be much different.  Sure, policies and priorities would shift, but I had no reason to suspect the office would function differently. Even after Bush v Gore I never thought that a candidate would refuse to concede after an obvious defeat.

In 2016 I was nervous about how each State's vote totals would unfold. HRC was ahead in national polling, but the race was close enough in enough states to make me feel uneasy on election night. My fear about a HRC loss was that it would be legitimate, divisive and ultimately put an individual (Trump) who didn't care about the role of the presidency in the White House.  I was certain that Trump would be vindicitive, divisive and

in 2020 (and for the first time ever) I am concerned less with the vote totals and more with people's reactions afterward. I'm skeptical that either side will accept the results as legitimate, and I fear intimidation will continue through January 20th. Should Biden win (which seems likely), I don't think Democrats will avoid the temptation to continue to investigate and prosecute him and his administration as much as their power allows.  That would bust yet another political norm in this country, and make it difficult to move on.  Should Trump win another term I suspect he will be vindictive and leverage the government to do his bidding in ways far beyond what he's already done. His base will feel re-affirmed and conduct like what we've seen above may intensify.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5163 on: November 02, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
I cannot help but feel like Team Trump was trying to time things so that the surge would happen during the weekend and through tomorrow.

That would require a level of coordination and control over the pandemic that this administration has utterly lacked.
It also disproves his mantra that the virus is "going away" and "almost gone" and that we have "turned the corner".

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #5164 on: November 02, 2020, 08:26:04 AM »

I saw a "Thank You Trump For Space Force!" sign out in PA a few weeks ago. That might be my favorite so far. Because the Space Force has positively impacted the lives of so many Americans... God bless those brave space cadets!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5165 on: November 02, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »

I saw a "Thank You Trump For Space Force!" sign out in PA a few weeks ago. That might be my favorite so far. Because the Space Force has positively impacted the lives of so many Americans... God bless those brave space cadets!

"It's great to be black on the moon"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5166 on: November 02, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »

How many Martian invasions have you had to deal with?  You're welcome. . .

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5167 on: November 02, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »

That would require a level of coordination and control over the pandemic that this administration has utterly lacked.
It also disproves his mantra that the virus is "going away" and "almost gone" and that we have "turned the corner".

Apologies for not being clear: I was referring to a "surge" in enthusiasm, not a "surge" in virus spread.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5168 on: November 02, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »

Apologies for not being clear: I was referring to a "surge" in enthusiasm, not a "surge" in virus spread.

Ah, understood.  I was thinking to myself "there's no way this administration is coordinated enough to time a surge in cases to an exact weekend, even if they wanted to!"  [though his rally events might be a good vector for sparking outbreaks]

Yes, given Trump's escallating rhetoric during these last few weeks, it does seem like he's trying to drum up enthusiasm (and intimidation tactics) specifically timed for this particular week.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5169 on: November 02, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
I wonder how likely the Dems are to getting control of the Senate?  That seems as important as sending Trump packing.  I mean if Mitch still has the Senate & is backed by SCOTUS how much can Biden repair?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5170 on: November 02, 2020, 09:41:08 AM »

Every time I see a "Keep America Great" sign, I want to ask, "in what way is America greater now than it was 4 years ago?!?!"

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5171 on: November 02, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »

Every time I see a "Keep America Great" sign, I want to ask, "in what way is America greater now than it was 4 years ago?!?!"

We're #1 in covid cases and in flags per capita.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5172 on: November 02, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
I wonder how likely the Dems are to getting control of the Senate?  That seems as important as sending Trump packing.  I mean if Mitch still has the Senate & is backed by SCOTUS how much can Biden repair?

The answer is 'nothing'.

McConnel has proven that a senate under him will refuse any kind of working together in favour of full obstruction of any policy change until the Democrats are no longer in power.  The Democrats need to win the senate.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5173 on: November 02, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »

[/b]

Living in 'Trump Country' this question has been asked of his supporters many times. 
Common answers include the cutting of regulation (particularly environmental protection), the reduction in [business] taxes, tariffs on foreign goods (note: many agree with putting tariffs on foreign goods but consider tit-for-tat measures by other countries to be 'unfair'), increased support for our soldiers and law enforcement, more conservative judges and an end to 'foreign entanglements' like the TPP, Paris Climate Accord or the JCPOA.

Mind you... I am personally against all of these in some way, and I don't think they benefit our country in the manner that his supporters suppose they do (in particular things like ending the TPP/JCPOA and tariffs... but his supporters frequently point to these as way our country is "better" than it was in 2015.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5174 on: November 02, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
I wonder how likely the Dems are to getting control of the Senate?
538 says 75%.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5175 on: November 02, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
538 says 75%.

Colorado and Arizona are safe bets.

Then there's Georgia x2, Maine, Iowa (not looking so good anymore), and North Carolina.

NC looks pretty good and at least one Georgia seat is likely. The GA special will probably head to a runoff.

Multiple paths.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5176 on: November 02, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
538 says 75%.

Then there's Georgia x2, Maine, Iowa (not looking so good anymore), and North Carolina.

NC looks pretty good and at least one Georgia seat is likely. The GA special will probably head to a runoff.

Multiple paths.

Here's a fun vignette to the not-so-distant future. 
In 2022 the Class 3 senators up for re-election will include 12 current democrats and 20 current GOP. 

Obviously some may retire and a couple might be replaced (resignation/death) - but just as 2020 requires the GOP to play substantial defense, 2022 is also a very hard map for them.
Of the two who have already announced their retirement, both are GOP senators in purple states (Burr - N.C. and Toomey - PA).

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5177 on: November 02, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
538 says 75%.

Multiple paths.

In 2022 the Class 3 senators up for re-election will include 12 current democrats and 20 current GOP. 

Obviously some may retire and a couple might be replaced (resignation/death) - but just as 2020 requires the GOP to play substantial defense, 2022 is also a very hard map for them.
Of the two who have already announced their retirement, both are GOP senators in purple states (Burr - N.C. and Toomey - PA).

Wanted to confirm you are still okay gaslighting people with whom you disagree

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5178 on: November 02, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »

Dude, you might be on the block list.

It could be another "I'm just an independent" poster, though. It's hard to remember.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5179 on: November 02, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »

Dude, you might be on the block list.

It could be another "I'm just an independent" poster, though. It's hard to remember.
Reviewed the last few posts from this user, added them to the ignore list. Been a banner year for my ignore list growth. If only the market had done so well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5180 on: November 02, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
538 says 75%.

Multiple paths.

lol are you seriously chasing people throughout various threads accusing them of gaslighting based on a post three weeks ago?

It might be time to take a vacation.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5181 on: November 02, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
538 says 75%.

Multiple paths.

lol are you seriously chasing people throughout various threads accusing them of gaslighting based on a post three weeks ago?

wait, what?  I'm being chased?
There are some posts I simply cannot see.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5182 on: November 02, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »

Simply asking he do the decent thing. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5183 on: November 02, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
wait, what?  I'm being chased?
There are some posts I simply cannot see.

Quite persistently, in fact.  Your blissful ignorance of it brings me some small joy in these convoluted times :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5184 on: November 02, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
Mind you... I am personally against all of these in some way, and I don't think they benefit our country in the manner that his supporters suppose they do (in particular things like ending the TPP/JCPOA and tariffs... but his supporters frequently point to these as way our country is "better" than it was in 2015.
Just want to point out that TPP failed because of EU street resistance, and it certainly was not good for the US - if by good you mean for the economy.

btw. just now the 3rd low flying plane in an hour just crossed above my head (old German-German border is used because low density of people), and I wonder if they train for something after your election...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5185 on: November 02, 2020, 11:45:43 AM »
Just want to point out that TPP failed because of EU street resistance, and it certainly was not good for the US - if by good you mean for the economy.

btw. just now the 3rd low flying plane in an hour just crossed above my head (old German-German border is used because low density of people), and I wonder if they train for something after your election...

Curious what you mean when you say that the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) failed because of EU street resistence.  To my knowledge it never included any EU nations.

I'm referencing how Trump pulled out of the TPP by executive order in his first week of the presidency, less than a year after it was signed and before any of its provisions really took hold. 

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5186 on: November 02, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »

I like to imagine this as a scene in a western where you are a petticoated and bonnet wearing school marm who was caught dancing with someone for two reels in a row and now must marry due to rumors of tarnished virtue.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5187 on: November 02, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »

Are you from the same mountain as me?

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5188 on: November 02, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »

On the mountain I am from, if you tell someone they are off by nearly two orders of magnitude, a reputable person would have no problem demonstrating why, or admitting error.  You tell me if we’re on the same mountain

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5189 on: November 02, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »

On the mountain I am from, if you tell someone they are off by nearly two orders of magnitude, a reputable person would have no problem demonstrating why, or admitting error.  You tell me if we’re on the same mountain

I was just wondering because it reminds me of how people from my mountain would follow cars home if they flipped them off on the highway.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5190 on: November 02, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
Can we spend less time on mountains and more time on freeways where armed Trump supporters are disrupting traffic and intimidating Biden campaign busses?

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5191 on: November 02, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Can we spend less time on mountains and more time on freeways where armed Trump supporters are disrupting traffic and intimidating Biden campaign busses?

Sure. Do we know if anyone from the Biden campaign accused any of those trump supporters of making an arithmetic mistake? Maybe they were just demanding satisfaction?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5192 on: November 02, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »
I bet someone said something like "Trump cannot win the electoral college without Texas", and the domestic terrorists took offense, because obviously the Donald can win without Texas! MATH PEOPLE! - 538 electoral votes and Texas is only about 40 of them!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5193 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
I was born during the Carter Presidency and lived in Texas from 1982-2002. The idea of Texas being in play is simply unthinkable to me. They haven't elected a Democrat state-wide since 1992.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5194 on: November 02, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
Once per century levels of both evil and incompetence from the current president can change stuff that would under anything close to normal circumstances seem impossible. Already surpassed the number of votes in 2016 in Texas.

I doubt Texas will go for Biden, but wouldn't be completely shocked if it did.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5195 on: November 02, 2020, 01:59:01 PM »
The Democratic Party ground game seems particularly on point in Texas (Beto O'Rourke) and Georgia (Stacy Abrams) which may make them better bets than Florida.  I'm hoping a win for Biden in either or both, declared early, would put a serious dent in Trump's attempts to steal votes through the courts and dampen the spirits of his supporters for any shenanigans after polls close.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5196 on: November 02, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »
I...what? I think I agree with the blogger Gin and Tacos: at this point, POTUS is spraying verbal diarrhea to see what sticks.

Joe Biden is promising to delay the vaccine and turn America into a prison state—locking you in your home while letting far-left rioters roam free. The Biden Lockdown will mean no school, no graduations, no weddings, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas, no Fourth of July, and...

...no future for America’s youth. A vote for Biden is a vote for Lockdowns, Layoffs and Misery. Get out and VOTE tomorrow!

(Sources: Twitter part 1, Twitter part 2)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5197 on: November 02, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
I...what? I think I agree with the blogger Gin and Tacos: at this point, POTUS is spraying verbal diarrhea to see what sticks.

Joe Biden is promising to delay the vaccine and turn America into a prison state—locking you in your home while letting far-left rioters roam free. The Biden Lockdown will mean no school, no graduations, no weddings, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas, no Fourth of July, and...

...no future for America’s youth. A vote for Biden is a vote for Lockdowns, Layoffs and Misery. Get out and VOTE tomorrow!
The problem is that it is sticking with about 40% of the electorate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5198 on: November 02, 2020, 03:36:04 PM »
It is domestic terrorism, using forceful means to interfere in the election.  Nazi brownshirts of 2020.

And yet, I’m pretty sure nothing happened to them. And it won’t because they’re Trump supporters in Texas, which is still tightly controlled by the GOP (who are also seeking to invalidate 100,000 ballots).. Imagine if staffers on Biden’s bus had opened fire. Or if the situation were reversed and a bunch of terrorists flying Biden-Harris flags had tried to run a bus off the road.

I’m starting to wonder if we should take down our Biden sign. Our neighbors down the street did yesterday. A couple more Trump signs have gone up, and I can’t assume that those neighbors aren’t in favor of partisan violence. Their cult leader is literally encouraging it. The sign is definitely coming down when I leave for the polls early Tuesday morning. We’re four blocks from a polling place and I don’t want any of Trump’s armed “poll watchers” deciding to retaliate while driving through the neighborhood.

That is exactly why we didn't put up a sign. We can't protect the house when we are away. And we don't want to attract trouble when our youngest is home alone schooling online. Our non-existent sign is unlikely to sway any voters. And we're firmly in a red state.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:51:52 PM by Just Joe »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5199 on: November 02, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »

The problem is that it is sticking with about 40% of the electorate.

I think my parents believe it.

"No, mom, Biden is not going to take your dog, your bible, or your house. Ffs."