Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779537 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4900 on: October 22, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
And now this.

A Dutch hacker was able to guess Trump's Twitter password and access his account in seven tries.

https://dutchreview.com/news/dutch-hacker-guesses-trumps-twitter-password-in-7-tries

His password was -- wait for it -- "maga2020".

Any guesses as to whether his security people are now scrambling like mad to change his passwords on all his other accounts?

This is the second time in as many days that Trump or a member of his close circle has proven himself far too stupid and gullible to be in a position of national power. The security risks are massive. It's unconscionable.

Vote blue. For country over party.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4901 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa, give him some credit- it was actually "maga2020!" - that ! at the end makes it way more secure. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4902 on: October 22, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa, give him some credit- it was actually "maga2020!" - that ! at the end makes it way more secure.

You're right, my apologies. I guess it was just my Trump Derangement Syndrome blinding me.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4903 on: October 22, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »
Well, to be fair, Trump’s twitter password was waaaaay more secure than Kayne’s iPhone log-in.
Spoiler: show
0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4904 on: October 22, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
And now this.

A Dutch hacker was able to guess Trump's Twitter password and access his account in seven tries.

https://dutchreview.com/news/dutch-hacker-guesses-trumps-twitter-password-in-7-tries

Any guesses as to whether his security people are now scrambling like mad to change his passwords on all his other accounts?

This is the second time in as many days that Trump or a member of his close circle has proven himself far too stupid and gullible to be in a position of national power. The security risks are massive. It's unconscionable.

omg.

I ran that through a security estimator site which said it could be cracked by a computer in 16 hours.

I then ran my Twitter password....which would apparently take 500 septillion years to crack.  I guess I'm qualified to be Trump's new director of cyber security! I could see the nomination now -- "This guy, he has the greatest of passwords - people say it'd take a computer many septillion years to crack! Most people don't even know what a septillion is - I do of course, I'm very good with numbers, but most people don't even know how long that is, it's truly an astonishing number, I myself might not even live long enough to see it!"

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4905 on: October 22, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
And now this.

omg.

I ran that through a security estimator site which said it could be cracked by a computer in 16 hours.

I then ran my Twitter password....which would apparently take 500 septillion years to crack.  I guess I'm qualified to be Trump's new director of cyber security! I could see the nomination now -- "This guy, he has the greatest of passwords - people say it'd take a computer many septillion years to crack! Most people don't even know what a septillion is - I do of course, I'm very good with numbers, but most people don't even know how long that is, it's truly an astonishing number, I myself might not even live long enough to see it!"
The best social media password is no social media account ( :

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4906 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
And now this.

omg.

The best social media password is no social media account ( :

I use mine for yelling at companies. I was impacted by a flight change that Chase Travel never told me about (I show up for my flight and they told me it was yesterday) - turns out the system that was supposed to communicate itinerary updates between Air Canada and Chase wasn't working (I think they found out when I called them).  They did nothing for me over the phone, so I hit them on Twitter -- I got 10k extra UR points and a refund for the flight.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4907 on: October 22, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
I'd much rather he have too easy a password than too hard.

Can you imagine when Reagan got shot, and his PR team would have needed to crack his passwords to try to get updates out on Twitter?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4908 on: October 22, 2020, 11:46:28 AM »

Can you imagine when Reagan got shot, and his PR team would have needed to crack his passwords to try to get updates out on Twitter?

No.  Twitter is a terrible way for politicians to communicate with people, and there would be no reason for them to use it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4909 on: October 22, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »

Um...

What?!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4910 on: October 22, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
I should have put more thought into this, especially given that people are here to criticize Trump. Let me try to add a thought:

The President is such a public figure, that--if a bad actor puts out a fraudulent statement on twitter--it'll be easy to determine quickly that the statement was not authentic. So really he's his own password. Media would determine quickly enough that the activity on his account was illegitimate.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4911 on: October 22, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
I should have put more thought into this, especially given that people are here to criticize Trump. Let me try to add a thought:

The President is such a public figure, that--if a bad actor puts out a fraudulent statement on twitter--it'll be easy to determine quickly that the statement was not authentic. So really he's his own password. Media would determine quickly enough that the activity on his account was illegitimate.

I can't tell if you're fucking with us or not

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4912 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
Wait - you're saying the media can tell what is legitimate and what isn't WRT Trump's twitter?

I mean the DOJ is in court arguing the president's words on twitter cannot be taken seriously. Hasn't taken down that satire link that got so much play last week and may have been posted by the Dutch hacker. But people other than Trump can just tell if it was him or some unauthorized person?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4913 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:41 AM »

Yeah  . . .  not sure that theory works so well when the president himself regularly puts out fraudulent statements on twitter that make him look like an idiot.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4914 on: October 22, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »

What if he tweeted that he was declaring war or that nuclear weapons were headed toward NYC? These tweets would have repercussions even if they were determined to be fake within minutes.

If someone had access to his account they could buy up lots of stock in company X and then announce a huge government contract with them. Sell in a few minutes and done.

And as others have pointed out, there is nothing that could come from his account that would be so outrageous to be obviously fake.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4915 on: October 22, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »

Yeah  . . .  not sure that theory works so well when the president himself regularly puts out fraudulent statements on twitter that make him look like an idiot.

Although, to be fair, it used to be reasonably easy to tell when his aides would take away his phone. The level of correct spelling and grammar would increase considerably until his time-out was over.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4916 on: October 22, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »

What if he tweeted that he was declaring war or that nuclear weapons were headed toward NYC? These tweets would have repercussions even if they were determined to be fake within minutes.

If someone had access to his account they could buy up lots of stock in company X and then announce a huge government contract with them. Sell in a few minutes and done.

And as others have pointed out, there is nothing that could come from his account that would be so outrageous to be obviously fake.
Yup.  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-twitter-china-chaos-trades-stock-bet-market-a9162251.html

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4917 on: October 22, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »

@Davnasty , that is a pretty persuasive argument about the stock trading. I appreciate the chance to air my more wild thoughts for this group, but it's clear this current one wasn't well-thought-out.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4918 on: October 22, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »

Someone obviously hacked Talltexan's account.  No way he would put out something so laughable.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4919 on: October 22, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »
Actually, following mustachian principles means that I am frequently able to make posts from Europe myself ;-)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4920 on: October 22, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
I remember all the cries about national security and other criticisms leveled against Obama because he wanted to keep his blackberry.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4921 on: October 22, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »
Haven't watched it, but he followed through on his threat to post his video of the 60 Minutes interview (and apparently broke his agreement with CBS in doing so):

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522254-trump-posts-full-60-minutes-interview-showing-him-walking-out

Good times. What's the over/under on his participation in the debate tonight? He's still squawking about how tonight's moderator is far worse than Lesley Stahl.

I saw the following in a comment on the WaPo article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/22/trump-60-minutes-breaks-agreement-cbs-stahl/#comments-wrapper) about this:

I understand the problem. Here are some examples of questions that Trump would find acceptable:
Why are you the greatest president of all?
How old were you when you first realized that you are a calm and stable genius?
You did such a wonderful job during your first term. What can you do to top that in your second, third and fourth terms?
Is voting for Joe Biden treason or sedition?
Why haven’t you deported Black Americans back to where they came from? (Okay, this is a trick question; the US is where Black Americans came from! 😂)
Do the Russians pay in rubles or dollars?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:56:00 PM by OzzieandHarriet »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4922 on: October 22, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
I was pondering the past year since this thread began. That incredible Thursday--October 17, 2019--it truly seemed like there would be no bottom.

Yet here we are, 370 days and 300,000 American deaths added on to that point. I have to admit, it's gone worse than I expected.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4923 on: October 22, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
Haven't watched it, but he followed through on his threat to post his video of the 60 Minutes interview (and apparently broke his agreement with CBS in doing so):

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522254-trump-posts-full-60-minutes-interview-showing-him-walking-out

Good times. What's the over/under on his participation in the debate tonight? He's still squawking about how tonight's moderator is far worse than Lesley Stahl.

I saw the following in a comment on the WaPo article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/22/trump-60-minutes-breaks-agreement-cbs-stahl/#comments-wrapper) about this:

I understand the problem. Here are some examples of questions that Trump would find acceptable:
Why are you the greatest president of all?
How old were you when you first realized that you are a calm and stable genius?
You did such a wonderful job during your first term. What can you do to top that in your second, third and fourth terms?
Is voting for Joe Biden treason or sedition?
Why haven’t you deported Black Americans back to where they came from? (Okay, this is a trick question; the US is where Black Americans came from! 😂)
Do the Russians pay in rubles or dollars?

Time to visit old Rushbo, then!

Fox News is out. Trump was tantruming over their recent polls.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4924 on: October 22, 2020, 05:10:17 PM »
I was pondering the past year since this thread began. That incredible Thursday--October 17, 2019--it truly seemed like there would be no bottom.

Yet here we are, 370 days and 300,000 American deaths added on to that point. I have to admit, it's gone worse than I expected.

I’ve always had grim expectations with this administration, yet they continue to do even worse than I feared.

And now Covid has killed Santa. I’m blaming that on trump and hours failed response too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4925 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:42 PM »
I’ll admit - I’m kinda shocked that Trump didn’t stage some elaborate media-circus for the last debate, like when he held a ‘press conference’ with women who had previously accused Bill Clinton of inappropriate sexual behavior right before his debate with Hillary.
The debate itself was rather low-key, at least for this particular president.  Trump seemed downright meek for the first twenty minutes or so.

Frankly very little from Trumps campaign has seemed well orchestrated in the past few weeks. They’re calling the same exact plays from 2016 (secret emails! FBI Investigation! Lock him/her up!) but seem surprised that Biden and the DNC is well prepared this time around. I still fear what norm-busting maneuver Trump might pull in these final weeks of voting.  Maybe he might actually go through with firing Wray, and perhaps Barr for good measure.  Make Kushner ‘acting’ head of the DOJ for a few weeks? 
Time will tell...

ETA: I guess trump invited Hunter Biden’s former business partner to the debate? So basically it’s the same syndicated move as in 2016: surprise guest to psych out opponent! Seems this year the media largely ignored it
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:59:03 AM by nereo »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4926 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:00 PM »
No.  Twitter is a terrible way for politicians to communicate with people, and there would be no reason for them to use it.

Fixed that for you.  :)

I've yet to regret killing my Twitter account a couple of years ago. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4927 on: October 23, 2020, 04:54:50 AM »

Although, to be fair, it used to be reasonably easy to tell when his aides would take away his phone. The level of correct spelling and grammar would increase considerably until his time-out was over.
There is actually (for a long time) a twitter bot retweeting and putting a % chance it was a real Trump post to it.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4928 on: October 23, 2020, 05:09:23 AM »

“Insulted by Trump” should be listed on many CVs in the near future.

+1

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4929 on: October 23, 2020, 05:13:37 AM »
What the actual fuck.

Voters In Florida And Alaska Receive Emails Warning 'Vote For Trump Or Else!'

It was Iran! https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/926445682/u-s-blames-iran-for-threatening-election-emails-says-russia-may-interfere-too

I wonder if Trump gave them something for their support, or if they just see that Trump is destroying America and want to keep the free gift going.

Even Trump cannot bribe a government the size of Iran. Iran, and Russia, see that Trump is bad for America. Standard power politics: weaken your rival nation.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4930 on: October 23, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Here's an outrage from last night I'm not seeing mentioned: as Trump was walking off the stage with Melania she took her hand out of his, needing a bit of effort to do it, and Trump retaliated by pushing her in the back.

If he does that in front of millions of TV watchers what does he do in private?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4931 on: October 23, 2020, 06:31:10 AM »
When you're a star, they let you do it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4932 on: October 23, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
Here's an outrage from last night I'm not seeing mentioned: as Trump was walking off the stage with Melania she took her hand out of his, needing a bit of effort to do it, and Trump retaliated by pushing her in the back.

I have trouble feeling too bad for Melania.  The marriage was a financial transaction.  There's a reason that Trump buys his wives from Eastern Europe - it's so he can exert more control over them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4933 on: October 23, 2020, 07:17:25 AM »

In the opening months of his presidency, Melania delayed moving into the White House with their son.  Reportedly, she used that as leverage to re-negotiate her prenuptial contract to a considerable degree.

Melania has made a habit out of publicly pushing away her husband in subtle ways, from pushing his hand away to refusing to be at his side when decorum requires it.  I won't pretend to know Melania's motivations and Donald's infidelity and sexual assaults are well documented. My point is - this behavior between them is enigmatic, but certainly nothing new.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4934 on: October 23, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »
The entire debate I kept waiting for Biden to react to Trump like this:

I was slightly disappointed that he didn't.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4935 on: October 23, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »
Absolutely. Delivered just right (calmly) it could be devastating to Trump for a little while. Might push Trump to lose control of himself. I wouldn't mind a little coarse language from Biden aimed at Trump.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4936 on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:11 AM »

I can't say I understand their marriage nor at this point so I care. It's obvious she's doing this of her own free will, so whatever.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4937 on: October 23, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
Absolutely. Delivered just right (calmly) it could be devastating to Trump for a little while. Might push Trump to lose control of himself. I wouldn't mind a little coarse language from Biden aimed at Trump.

I think Biden handled it well.  Remember, he doesn't need to convince his supporters that what Trump says is a garbage-disposal of randomly mashed up lies. Those voters aren't likely to jump onto the Trump Train.  But Biden does want to push those voters who are hesitant to support any Democrat (i.e. identity-Republicans) but who have been uncomfortable about Trump's conduct from day-1.  To these people, harshly calling out a sitting President is seen as disrespectful of the office itself.  Yelling at Trump would make Biden no better than the president. Wallowing in Trump's muck just turns them off entirely.

There's some evidence that some of these voters were off-put by hearing Biden say "will you shut up man!" in the first debate (again, because it's seen as disrespectful). Biden did as good a job as I think he could have calling out Trump's falsehoods and empathizing with regular families while not crossing the line into being disrespectful and foul-mouthed.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4938 on: October 23, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Indeed people seem to hope that Trump family members will suddenly "get it".

They get that having their patriarch win power and wealth is in their best interests, as long as he can keep that power to protect them from sanction for their own corrupt business ventures.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4939 on: October 23, 2020, 09:08:45 AM »
Indeed people seem to hope that Trump family members will suddenly "get it".

They get that having their patriarch win power and wealth is in their best interests, as long as he can keep that power to protect them from sanction for their own corrupt business ventures.
I'm sure that Trump's family members, including his wives, have made their own calculations on the value of the relationship.  But an advert showing that push at Melania would surely put paid to any chance of Trump getting back the votes of those "suburban housewives" he needs.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4940 on: October 23, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
The entire debate I kept waiting for Biden to react to Trump like this:

I was slightly disappointed that he didn't.
Also applicable:

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4941 on: October 23, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
The debate, for me personally, brought in to focus that we have a President that can say anything he wants ("I was the best thing that ever happened to the Black community, probably even better than Lincoln", "I pre-paid my taxes", "everyone is going to get Regeneron for free") vs. a man running on his integrity.  It's like having a step Dad that tells you that eating fast food and candy all day is just fine vs. a caring father that forces you to eat a balanced diet with vegetables.   It really is a mess, especially when the neighbors dislike your family and are willing to meddle in your affairs on your step-Dad's behalf.  And your step-Dad has a TV channel that tells you how great he is and how terrible eating vegetables would be...  I could go on and on.

I'm hoping that Americans have had enough of the candy-eating lifestyle (which has now made them sicker than they otherwise should be) and are willing to consider the latter for a more  sustainable, healthy future.  I have to hope that the majority of Americans are smart enough to see through Trump's façade of false promises and outright lies, as well as the unsustainable gains from removing environmental standards and industry regulations, jacking up the national debt with tax cuts, backing out of agreements with allies and starting tariff wars... 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4942 on: October 23, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
I voted as early as I could (which was very easy in my state). At this point living with Trump and his cohort just feels like falling down stairs and wondering if I'll stop at the next landing on Nov 3, or just keep rolling and wondering where the bottom is. I have not watched any of the debates. They will not change my opinion on much at this point and if it was important enough to change my mind, it would surface in all of the other news I digest anyways. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4943 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
I want to at least vote intelligently for my local races, which is part of why I'm procrastinating.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4944 on: October 23, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »
I want to at least vote intelligently for my local races, which is part of why I'm procrastinating.
Local races are soooo important. I spent a lot of time reading and researching as I cast those votes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4945 on: October 23, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »
Local races are soooo important. I spent a lot of time reading and researching as I cast those votes.

VOTE411.org!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4946 on: October 23, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »

I was a bit dissapointed at our local elections (as in county/city level).  Two of the positions the candidate was running un-opposed, and the third pitted a bat-s&*t crazy against a retired school-teacher centrist who's main/only plank was a bond measure for our local HS.  There was nothing for me to even consider.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4947 on: October 23, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »

I was a bit dissapointed at our local elections (as in county/city level).  Two of the positions the candidate was running un-opposed, and the third pitted a bat-s&*t crazy against a retired school-teacher centrist who's main/only plank was a bond measure for our local HS.  There was nothing for me to even consider.
Election schedules vary - a lot of our local offices here wound up decided in the August primary. Some items wound up proceeding to be on the general election ballot, but in other cases, they won by a wide enough margin August to win.

We had one race on the November ballot though - a seat on the soil and water board - where neither candidate so much as created a Facebook page for their campaign. Went with "not a real estate developer" on that one.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4948 on: October 24, 2020, 03:54:09 AM »
We had one race on the November ballot though - a seat on the soil and water board - where neither candidate so much as created a Facebook page for their campaign. Went with "not a real estate developer" on that one.
Maybe they just didn't want their voters personal data sold all over the US?

Ah, I know that is wrong, but would be nice if it were actually true.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4949 on: October 24, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »
The local election was pretty easy I had a voter guide to use. It actually (for those affiliated ) a straight ticket except for voting out one commisoner.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!