Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779343 times)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4500 on: October 02, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
To quote josh raby on Twitter this morning: I think it’s really depressing that the President of the United States can contract a deadly virus and all half of you can do is wonder if it’s a hoax meant to help his sagging Campaign rather than showing some humanity and simply enjoying the hell out of it like the rest of us.

This is where the sympathy ploy comes from though.  Once Trump miraculously gets better, he can re-invent himself as a sympathetic character that at least appears more humble and human and can swing some independents that see the 'evil left' as hoping for Trump's death.  It's called the 'Boris Johnson' maneuver, except Trump never actually had Covid.  And because of patient - doctor confidentiality, the American public will have to take him at his word.

hahahahahaha!!!!! at any sentence that includes both "Trump" and "humble".  The man is incapable of appearing humble.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4501 on: October 02, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
It's amazing how he sucks the air out of the room, whatever he does.  He's like P.T. Barnum on steroids.  He keeps everyone off balance wondering what's next, and makes people forget about things like the tax returns, damaging tell-all memoirs, etc. etc.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4502 on: October 02, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »
It's amazing how he sucks the air out of the room, whatever he does.  He's like P.T. Barnum on steroids.  He keeps everyone off balance wondering what's next, and makes people forget about things like the tax returns, damaging tell-all memoirs, etc. etc.

There is a reason this is the Trump Outrage of the Day thread.  Last week is ancient history with him, it gets buried so fast.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4503 on: October 02, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Favorite quip I've read so far:

“Justice Ginsberg successfully petitions God in her first appearance”.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4504 on: October 02, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »
To quote josh raby on Twitter this morning: I think it’s really depressing that the President of the United States can contract a deadly virus and all half of you can do is wonder if it’s a hoax meant to help his sagging Campaign rather than showing some humanity and simply enjoying the hell out of it like the rest of us.

This is where the sympathy ploy comes from though.  Once Trump miraculously gets better, he can re-invent himself as a sympathetic character that at least appears more humble and human and can swing some independents that see the 'evil left' as hoping for Trump's death.  It's called the 'Boris Johnson' maneuver, except Trump never actually had Covid.  And because of patient - doctor confidentiality, the American public will have to take him at his word.

I still come back to Occam's razor.
Which is simpler?  that - during a pandemic - a person who forgoes social distancing and comes into contact with dozens of unmasked people every day contracts the virus?   
or that he, Hope Hicks, his doctor, the first lady and who knows how many others are lying to reverse course on a disease they have spent 8+ months publicly downplaying in the hopes of gaining sympathy from a few without alienating his base that still refuse to wear makss and think this is a hoax only to somehow emerge in a couple weeks  with a new angle on Covid, all the while keeping in mind that Trump's tendency has always been to double and triple down when confronted with evidence that contradicts his statements (here:  Covid is a grave national threat).

The former is just probability of catching a highly communicable disease during a pandemic.

The latter involves coordinated lying (in itself legally dodgy), a multi-week political plan, a complete reversal of his rhetoric on Covid and a defiance of his base who overwhelmingly downplay the seriousness of Covid.

You could just as easily Occam the other way - Trump is losing after the first debate in almost every battleground state and after nominating his Supreme Court justice.  There really aren't any paths left to electoral college (much less popular vote) victory for the guy, just by holding rallies and only two debates left.  Parscale left, so his campaign is run by...  Trump?  Republicans might already be turning on him.

He's been living a 'risky' pandemic lifestyle (esp. not wearing masks) ever since this thing began and has maintained his bubble successfully, so it is LESS likely he caught the disease now than months ago. 

But a minor bout of Covid, maybe slowing him down for 6 days (aides are already calling it 'mild', with Trump continuing to work from the White House) will only help him re-boot his campaign.  Maybe he has to give up a few rallies with his committed base, that's about it.   

I've never heard Occam used as a verb before.
Regardless, that doesn't seem simpler to me. Nor does it follow Trump's well-established nature to fight, to be the aggressor, and to show no weakness. He's routinely lied about his health and has lied about an unplanned (emergency?) medical visit to Walter Reed last November. To have open discussion among his staff about being ill is definitely not normal (for him).

The fact that his Chief of Staff has said Trump is already showing 'mild symptoms' is concerning, given he was (as best we can understand) exposed sometime in the last 72 hours.  Often it takes 10-14 days for the severity of the illness to become apparent in a patient.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4505 on: October 02, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »
Does anyone find it a bit strange that Donald tweeted he and wife had Covid-19 at 12:54 am, today, Oct. 2nd and shortly there after at 1:27 am Melania tweeted and also confirmed they had it.

Why did they feel it was necessary to announce this in the middle of the night?

When Donald went to the hospital last fall, we never found out why he went. It was a big secret. Now, he has Covid, that he has been down playing all year long as a hoax. As fast as he supposedly got the news he and she have it, they felt the need to announce it to the world.

Something seems fishy to me. This seems like a classic diversion tactic Donald would pull.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4506 on: October 02, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »
Does anyone find it a bit strange that Donald tweeted he and wife had Covid-19 at 12:54 am, today, Oct. 2nd and shortly there after at 1:27 am Melania tweeted and also confirmed they had it.

Why did they feel it was necessary to announce this in the middle of the night?

When Donald went to the hospital last fall, we never found out why he went. It was a big secret. Now, he has Covid, that he has been down playing all year long as a hoax. As fast as he supposedly got the news he and she have it, they felt the need to announce it to the world.

Something seems fishy to me. This seems like a classic diversion tactic Donald would pull.

I'm firmly in the camp that this is a ploy of some kind. I'm not machiavellin enough to figure it out, but I smell it. Perhaps a desperate attempt to boost his campaign (the Chinese virus is no biggie!); perhaps a way to excuse a loss (if only I didn't get sick...); perhaps how the GOP is orchestrating him exiting the race; etc.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4507 on: October 02, 2020, 10:59:59 AM »

I still come back to Occam's razor.
Which is simpler?  that - during a pandemic - a person who forgoes social distancing and comes into contact with dozens of unmasked people every day contracts the virus?   
or that he, Hope Hicks, his doctor, the first lady and who knows how many others are lying to reverse course on a disease they have spent 8+ months publicly downplaying in the hopes of gaining sympathy from a few without alienating his base that still refuse to wear makss and think this is a hoax only to somehow emerge in a couple weeks  with a new angle on Covid, all the while keeping in mind that Trump's tendency has always been to double and triple down when confronted with evidence that contradicts his statements (here:  Covid is a grave national threat).

The former is just probability of catching a highly communicable disease during a pandemic.

The latter involves coordinated lying (in itself legally dodgy), a multi-week political plan, a complete reversal of his rhetoric on Covid and a defiance of his base who overwhelmingly downplay the seriousness of Covid.

You could just as easily Occam the other way - Trump is losing after the first debate in almost every battleground state and after nominating his Supreme Court justice.  There really aren't any paths left to electoral college (much less popular vote) victory for the guy, just by holding rallies and only two debates left.  Parscale left, so his campaign is run by...  Trump?  Republicans might already be turning on him.

He's been living a 'risky' pandemic lifestyle (esp. not wearing masks) ever since this thing began and has maintained his bubble successfully, so it is LESS likely he caught the disease now than months ago. 

But a minor bout of Covid, maybe slowing him down for 6 days (aides are already calling it 'mild', with Trump continuing to work from the White House) will only help him re-boot his campaign.  Maybe he has to give up a few rallies with his committed base, that's about it.   

I've never heard Occam used as a verb before.
Regardless, that doesn't seem simpler to me. Nor does it follow Trump's well-established nature to fight, to be the aggressor, and to show no weakness. He's routinely lied about his health and has lied about an unplanned (emergency?) medical visit to Walter Reed last November. To have open discussion among his staff about being ill is definitely not normal (for him).

The fact that his Chief of Staff has said Trump is already showing 'mild symptoms' is concerning, given he was (as best we can understand) exposed sometime in the last 72 hours.  Often it takes 10-14 days for the severity of the illness to become apparent in a patient.

Just quickly pointing out that is not a correct time to apply Occam's Razor.  We have been told repeatedly (and shown in numerous scandals) that Trump will do anything in order to win this election.  His currently ploy to cast doubt on voting and stir up distrust in the outcome of the election, quite possibly to get it into the courts, shows that.

Occam's Razor is for when you have all of the facts and clarity around what happened / is happening.  Throw in even one lie and Occam's Razor can be especially misleading (e.g. it could contribute to the simplest explanation, although it is a lie).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:02:39 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4508 on: October 02, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
Here is some more food for thought. Donald has to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Biden just tested negative for Covid-19.

Does that mean because Biden was exposed to the virus, via Donald, does that mean he has to quarantine for 2 weeks as well? If so, that could be part of the ploy. Biden is supposed to be in Grand Rapids, Michigan today. I wonder if he will have to cancel.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4509 on: October 02, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »

Does that mean because Biden was exposed to the virus, via Donald, does that mean he has to quarantine for 2 weeks as well? If so, that could be part of the ploy. Biden is supposed to be in Grand Rapids, Michigan today. I wonder if he will have to cancel.

well, first, they are guidelines, not laws.  People (including Biden and Trump) are still free to do what they want, regardless of the recommendations.

Second, at least in my state ) a negative Covid test 2 days after suspected exposure can be used in lieu of a 14-day quarantine period.

Lastly, it's not even clear that Biden meets the CDC definition of what constitutes "potential exposure", which is: a close contact is anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes.  Other than very briefly (a few seconds), I'm not sure that Biden ever came within 6 feet of Trump.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4510 on: October 02, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »

well, first, they are guidelines, not laws.  People (including Biden and Trump) are still free to do what they want, regardless of the recommendations.

Second, at least in my state ) a negative Covid test 2 days after suspected exposure can be used in lieu of a 14-day quarantine period.

Lastly, it's not even clear that Biden meets the CDC definition of what constitutes "potential exposure", which is: a close contact is anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes.  Other than very briefly (a few seconds), I'm not sure that Biden ever came within 6 feet of Trump.

Trump, admitting covid, also stands to lose more than Biden. They both have to sit out but Trump has been the "immune" alpha male who eschews masks.

1) If he kept it secret and continued to go to events, that would look really bad when it leaked. He would've been knowingly endangering people.
2) If he kept it secret and canceled/delayed events, it would look very suspicious. He'd either become a cowering President, afraid to go to the debates, or everyone would know he has covid. Or worse.

The only good option for Trump was to release the news and then play it off as no big deal.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4511 on: October 02, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
On to the next outrage!

After learning that Hope Hicks had tested postive for Covid, Trump decided to go ahead with a fundraiser in NJ Wednesday evening.  This despite having spent considerable time with Ms Hicks over the previous several days.

Basically, after learning that he was potentially exposed he rejected the CDC's guidelines and 1) traveled to 2) meet with supporters while 3) not wearing a mask.

Trump the super-spreader?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4512 on: October 02, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
Guys, this is not some massive conspiracy/deception.  Hope Hicks got it, Trump + first lady got it, some RNC lady announced she has it, and Senator Mike Lee has just announced he has it.  It's a bunch of people hanging out together not wearing masks during a pandemic.  Totally predictable consequence, and I expect more positives to follow.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4513 on: October 02, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
Guys, this is not some massive conspiracy/deception.  Hope Hicks got it, Trump + first lady got it, some RNC lady announced she has it, and Senator Mike Lee has just announced he has it.  It's a bunch of people hanging out together not wearing masks during a pandemic.  Totally predictable consequence, and I expect more positives to follow.

I'll believe it in 1 - 2 weeks time.  Trump has lied to me enough that I deserve the right to reserve trusting him until reality plays out.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4514 on: October 02, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
You guys are disgusting! No empathy at all! It needs a German to help Trump with some Thoughts and Prayers!

https://twitter.com/PoLILYtik/status/1312062828514246659

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4515 on: October 02, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
He's routinely lied about his health and has lied about an unplanned (emergency?) medical visit to Walter Reed last November. To have open discussion among his staff about being ill is definitely not normal (for him).

Not really related, but I feel it important to remind everyone that not only does Trump have a history of lying about his health, he does it in hilarious and unconvincing ways.

[Media]: We have uncovered that Trump was recently taken to Walter Reed Medical Center for unknown reasons.

[Trump]: No I did NOT just have a series of mini-strokes! The fake news media is lying about me again!

[Everyone]: ???

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4516 on: October 02, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
You guys are disgusting! No empathy at all! It needs a German to help Trump with some Thoughts and Prayers!

Far from disgusting. Thoughts and prayers are given to those who deserve it.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4517 on: October 02, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »

I'll believe it in 1 - 2 weeks time.  Trump has lied to me enough that I deserve the right to reserve trusting him until reality plays out.

Fair enough; he is an incorrigible liar.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4518 on: October 02, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »
Trump is a firm believer in "any publicity is good publicity".  I think it's a publicity stunt.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4519 on: October 02, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »

Far from disgusting. Thoughts and prayers are given to those who deserve it.

You missed the sarcasm. Many here see americans always  posting about thoughts and prayers as a response to any catastrophe and then not doing anything else, such as changing legislation to prevent mass shootings or giving relief help. I guess the germans have a similar view of your habits.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4520 on: October 02, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
Many here in the US see that as well. Mostly the conservatives that do that, although we basically don't have a left wing in this country, let alone one that has gotten power recently.

That's conservatism in the United States today - except for cutting taxes and fucking over marginalized groups every way they can think of, "welp we can't do much".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:17:10 PM by dandarc »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4521 on: October 02, 2020, 12:15:58 PM »
On to the next outrage!

After learning that Hope Hicks had tested postive for Covid, Trump decided to go ahead with a fundraiser in NJ Wednesday evening.  This despite having spent considerable time with Ms Hicks over the previous several days.

Basically, after learning that he was potentially exposed he rejected the CDC's guidelines and 1) traveled to 2) meet with supporters while 3) not wearing a mask.

Yep. It seems like he was in the most contagious presymptomatic phase at Bedminster and knew he'd been directly exposed. The level of irresponsibility and disregard for others would be appalling in anyone else. In him, it's just Thursday.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4522 on: October 02, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
On to the next outrage!

Yep. It seems like he was in the most contagious presymptomatic phase at Bedminster and knew he'd been directly exposed. The level of irresponsibility and disregard for others would be appalling in anyone else. In him, it's just Thursday.
All true, but also I suspect that it shows just how desperate for money his campaign is, that he felt he couldn't afford not to go to the fundraiser.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4523 on: October 02, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
I think by assuming very few actually watch the debates to learn anything we are letting our own, politically active experiences bias our views.  Most Americans simply don’t pay attention to politics most of the time. It’s shocking (to us politically minded folks), but a large percentage can’t name the latest Supreme Court nominee, or a single cabinet member, or even who the VP is.
I agree my own experiences would be biasing my view for sure.  I still don't think many watch the debate because they actually want to know the thoughts, views, and policy platforms of the candidates.  As you say, most Americans don't pay attention to politics most of the time.  The ones that actually do care about what the candidates have to say are the ones paying attention.  The rest are tuning in for other reasons.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4524 on: October 02, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4525 on: October 02, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
So how do the rest of us get this shot?

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/trump-infused-with-polyclonal-antibodies-to-fight-covid-19/

You just need to be born with a multi-billionaire father, fail at every business you ever started, and then get elected president.

It's a completely fair procedure.  Everyone who meets the above qualifications gets it.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4526 on: October 02, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/trump-infused-with-polyclonal-antibodies-to-fight-covid-19/

You just need to be born with a multi-billionaire father, fail at every business you ever started, and then get elected president.

It's a completely fair procedure.  Everyone who meets the above qualifications gets it.

Does he drink the bleach before or after the shot?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4527 on: October 02, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »

The President is taking a medication that has only been tested on 275 people?  I thought for sure he'd be on Remdesivir or Convalescent Plasma...

Of course, what I read about REGN-COV2 fits well with a story of Trump recovering before the end of next week in an outpatient setting.

I also particularly liked Putin's telegram to Trump -
I am certain that your inherent vitality, good spirits and optimism will help you cope with this dangerous virus
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:55:31 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4528 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »
Huh. He’s at Walter Reed.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4529 on: October 02, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
He also stopped tweeting - it's real bad folks.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4530 on: October 02, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »

I really should hold my judgement on the veracity of this until the end of next week.  The initial details are incredibly sketchy - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/02/trump-tests-positive-coronavirus-reader-questions-answers/5893893002/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4531 on: October 02, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »

That just means he's in his private suite.  The President goes to WR for all medical care.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4532 on: October 02, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »

That just means he's in his private suite.  The President goes to WR for all medical care.
Yeah, but less than 12 hours before moving to WR the white house stated they'd be convalescing at the white house. So, that changed in a hurry. Not that it is a bad idea to be at the hospital for a septuagenarian with some complicating factors who is having symptoms bad enough to warrant an experimental treatment.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4533 on: October 02, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
The White House is capable of providing care up to a classified level, but likely equivalent to an icu if needed. This is based on a lecture given during my training by a former White House medical unit staff member in preparation for when President Obama visited Chicago since we would be the receiving unit for any trauma involving presidents visiting the city. I’m not sure if that is still the case. However the president will generally go to Walter Reed for inpatient care in non-crisis situations. They will not go for outpatient visits since the White House medical unit can handle those things. The confusion and abrupt change in plans is par for the course with this administration, and with covid treatment in general, so I wouldn’t read much into it. However, it is very concerning given his age and obesity. Most likely he will survive, given the resources at disposal. Whether he will be in a state to lead the country is a big question. Ugh, 2020 sucks.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4535 on: October 03, 2020, 12:49:27 AM »
He's routinely lied about his health and has lied about an unplanned (emergency?) medical visit to Walter Reed last November. To have open discussion among his staff about being ill is definitely not normal (for him).

Not really related, but I feel it important to remind everyone that not only does Trump have a history of lying about his health, he does it in hilarious and unconvincing ways.

[Media]: We have uncovered that Trump was recently taken to Walter Reed Medical Center for unknown reasons.

[Trump]: No I did NOT just have a series of mini-strokes! The fake news media is lying about me again!

[Everyone]: ???

The all-time favorite of the overspecific denial.

The most famous one in Germany is that of Ulbricht I think 2 weeks before they build the Berlin Wall.
He was asked about a possible "border at the Brandenburger Tor" and his answer was
"nobody has the intention to build a wall".

btw. it was the only woman under the journalists who asked that.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:52:07 AM by LennStar »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4536 on: October 03, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
Interesting article regarding "depraved indifference" and potential for a "reckless manslaughter" charge in NJ.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/when-did-trump-get-19-and-when-did-he-know-it/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4537 on: October 03, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »
Interesting article regarding "depraved indifference" and potential for a "reckless manslaughter" charge in NJ.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/when-did-trump-get-19-and-when-did-he-know-it/

You can charge him with whatever you want, but the president is above the law as long as the senate is made up of Republicans who refuse to hold him accountable.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4538 on: October 03, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
Does anyone reckon there's a chance that the lack of news coming out means that Trump might have deteriorated and be near death's door?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4539 on: October 03, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
I was suspicious at first but now believe it.  Too many people would need to be involved and that never goes well.  I also think that he is worse off than stated. Not shedding any tears considering he called soldiers losers and suckers and people that died from the virus “nobody’s” which are only 2 of the horrible things he has done.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4540 on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »
Does anyone reckon there's a chance that the lack of news coming out means that Trump might have deteriorated and be near death's door?
Thought crossed my mind, but then video of him walking to the helicopter to go to the hospital. More likely dude is just scared shitless (Trump is a bit of a germaphobe, and he now has contracted a disease that he knows could well kill him in relatively short order), and he really, really doesn't want to be shown on TV with even the sniffles.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4541 on: October 03, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
Thought crossed my mind, but then video of him walking to the helicopter to go to the hospital. More likely dude is just scared shitless (Trump is a bit of a germaphobe, and he now has contracted a disease that he knows could well kill him in relatively short order), and he really, really doesn't want to be shown on TV with even the sniffles.

Hmm. I have my fingers crossed.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4542 on: October 03, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
Well, according to a doctors update, Trump is doing well. Mmmmm...

https://nypost.com/2020/10/03/trump-fever-free-and-doing-very-well-in-covid-19-battle-doctor/

Now Chris, Christy had Covid-19!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4543 on: October 03, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
It's spreading in the GOP like it's a frat party or something. I don't really wish covid on anyone, because it seems to genuinely suck. But the schadenfreude is a bit difficult to suppress given the callousness the GOP has shown towards the covid impacts to others. Jeebus is this a screwy year to live through.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4544 on: October 03, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »

Many  people of Trump's age  have died within a few days of  becoming infected so it's not far-fetched to speculate that Trump may have been  near death prior to this morning's  reportage about his condition.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4545 on: October 03, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »
It's spreading in the GOP like it's a frat party or something. I don't really wish covid on anyone, because it seems to genuinely suck. But the schadenfreude is a bit difficult to suppress given the callousness the GOP has shown towards the covid impacts to others. Jeebus is this a screwy year to live through.

Look at the Barrett press conference. Everyone is seated close together and maybe 80% aren't wearing masks.

These are educated people, too. They apparently bought the line that it's all a hoax; or maybe there's so much pressure from the top that they're willing to take the risk.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4546 on: October 03, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
I wonder why, when the Prez was only in the hospital less than 24 hours they had a whole gaggle of doctors and other medical people giving updates on him? Isn't it a bit premature to give updates when Covid takes time to either get better or get worse?

Not sure what to think about this. A political ploy?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4547 on: October 03, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
I wonder why, when the Prez was only in the hospital less than 24 hours they had a whole gaggle of doctors and other medical people giving updates on him? Isn't it a bit premature to give updates when Covid takes time to either get better or get worse?

We've always been at war with Eastasia.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4548 on: October 03, 2020, 12:07:52 PM »

Maybe not.

NY Times: ‘We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery,’ a person familiar with the president’s health said.

President Trump’s vital signs on Saturday were concerning as doctors mounted an aggressive effort to treat him and he was not out of danger, a person close to the situation said, even as the coronavirus infected an ever widening swath of the president’s aides and allies.

While doctors maintained during a televised briefing that Mr. Trump was “doing very well” after a night at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, they refused to provide critical details and left open the impression that the president was known to be sick a day earlier than previously reported.

Shortly after the upbeat briefing by the doctors, a person familiar with the president’s health gave a more sober assessment to reporters at Walter Reed on the condition of anonymity. “The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” this person said. “We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”

Two people close to the White House said in separate interviews with The New York Times that the president had trouble breathing on Friday and that his oxygen level dropped, prompting his doctors to give him supplemental oxygen while at the White House and decide to transfer him to Walter Reed where he could be monitored with better equipment and treated more rapidly in case of trouble.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4549 on: October 03, 2020, 12:09:47 PM »
Thank you OtherJen for that update!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!