Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779420 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4000 on: September 09, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
Meanwhile, Trump admitted to Bob Woodward he lied to the American people about the Coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump/2020/09/09/0368fe3c-efd2-11ea-b4bc-3a2098fc73d4_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-high_woodward-1210p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&fbclid=IwAR2NFomDlr38HBkfkK3aen_OY0gMC9pTLCHYPNjr4Hubrm96CTuu-6Tev2w

Outrageous, but unsurprising to anyone who's been paying attention.

Admitting that he knew it was a serious situation and still downplayed it will make him lose dozens of supporters.

LOL. Yup. If even that.

First reaction to this I’ve seen from a Trump supporter:

“He was just trying to prevent panic. He did, and is still doing, a great job.”

What was that line about Trump shooting someone on Fifth Avenue?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4001 on: September 09, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »
His supporters want to know why there isn't more widespread coverage of a controversial right wing politician nominating him for the Nobel Peace Prize. Only, they don't seem to know about the controversial right wing politician part...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4002 on: September 09, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
See also Trump stating that he would consider Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz for SCOTUS. They would never be confirmed ( I would hope) but it does provide a reminded to the conservative base that the next president will likely fill RBG's seat.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4003 on: September 09, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »
We know there's no moving members of the cult. That has already been proven and this won't sway them one bit. I think it could prove detrimental to any potential undecided swing voters and most definitely to family and friends of the almost 200,000 dead Americans....but yeah, judges and such. The next President may likely fill two seats as Clarence Thomas has gotta be close to retirement also.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4004 on: September 09, 2020, 02:28:32 PM »
See also Trump stating that he would consider Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz for SCOTUS. They would never be confirmed ( I would hope) but it does provide a reminded to the conservative base that the next president will likely fill RBG's seat.

While both have law degrees (J.D.), Cotton has done precious little in terms of practicing actual law.  Cruz did have a considerable legal career (~20+ years) before winning election to the senate, though he's never served as a judge.  Mind you, there's no constitutional requirement that a member of SCOTUS be a judge, or even have a law degree, though it would break with 70+ years of tradition.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4005 on: September 09, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »
This is floating around in my newsfeed today and I’m not sure how to take it. Canary in the coal mine? Overly alarmist?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/america-insurgency-chaos-trump-violence.html

“David Kilcullen is one of the world’s leading authorities on insurgencies. For decades he has studied them. As an infantry soldier in the Australian army and an adviser to the U.S. Army, he’s fought against them. His latest scholarly work has focused on their role in urban conflicts.

So when Kilcullen says that America is in a state of “incipient insurgency,” it’s worth sitting up, taking notice, and trembling just a little.”

“Kilcullen sees a pattern similar to the patterns that precipitated insurgencies in Colombia, Libya, and Iraq. The key factor is the rise of fear. He cites Stathis Kalyvas’ book The Logic of Violence in Civil War as observing that fear, not hate, drives the worst atrocities. “Every civil war and insurgency of the last 50 years has been driven by fear,” Kilcullen told me. Today’s politics and social tensions are dominated by three fears: fear of other social groups, fear that those other groups are encroaching on one’s territory, and fear that the state no longer has the ability to protect the people.”

And to tie it back to Trump...

“In other words, there is still time for political leaders—locally and nationally—to calm the storm, douse the flames, and stifle the violent provocateurs across the spectrum, while also addressing the underlying social, political, and racial issues that sparked the (legitimate) protests.

Unfortunately, President Donald Trump has no interest in calm. Instead, he is deliberately fanning the flames as part of a cynical election strategy.”

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4006 on: September 09, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
This is floating around in my newsfeed today and I’m not sure how to take it. Canary in the coal mine? Overly alarmist?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/america-insurgency-chaos-trump-violence.html

“David Kilcullen is one of the world’s leading authorities on insurgencies. For decades he has studied them. As an infantry soldier in the Australian army and an adviser to the U.S. Army, he’s fought against them. His latest scholarly work has focused on their role in urban conflicts.

So when Kilcullen says that America is in a state of “incipient insurgency,” it’s worth sitting up, taking notice, and trembling just a little.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/04/white-supremacists-terror-threat-dhs-409236

Quote from: Homeland Security
Among these groups, we assess that white supremacist extremists – who increasingly are networking with likeminded persons abroad – will pose the most persistent and lethal threat.

So, yeah, if Trump loses -- and I expect he will -- there may very will be an insurgency in more rural parts of the country. It may be like the Oregon BLM stand-off or it might be more violent. Either way, there's a lot of anger out there.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4007 on: September 09, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »

Bush the Younger floated the idea of his personal lawyer as SCOTUS and the Republican Senate leadership laughed him out of the room. It was a different time then, though.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4008 on: September 09, 2020, 05:49:18 PM »

While both have law degrees (J.D.), Cotton has done precious little in terms of practicing actual law.  Cruz did have a considerable legal career (~20+ years) before winning election to the senate, though he's never served as a judge.  Mind you, there's no constitutional requirement that a member of SCOTUS be a judge, or even have a law degree, though it would break with 70+ years of tradition.

They're his biggest supporters to counter this summer's protests. Cotton's the one who demanded that the 101st go into NYC guns a-blazing.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4009 on: September 09, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/04/white-supremacists-terror-threat-dhs-409236

Among these groups, we assess that white supremacist extremists – who increasingly are networking with likeminded persons abroad – will pose the most persistent and lethal threat.

So, yeah, if Trump loses -- and I expect he will -- there may very will be an insurgency in more rural parts of the country. It may be like the Oregon BLM stand-off or it might be more violent. Either way, there's a lot of anger out there.
The reason I ask is that my family thinks it is a significant enough of a threat that they are working Plan Bs such as applying for dual citizenship, looking into a spousal extended stay visa for the person married to a dual citizen, one is actively job hunting overseas. I can’t quite tell if they are just more informed than me or scaring themselves unnecessarily.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4010 on: September 09, 2020, 06:05:01 PM »

The reason I ask is that my family thinks it is a significant enough of a threat that they are working Plan Bs such as applying for dual citizenship, looking into a spousal extended stay visa for the person married to a dual citizen, one is actively job hunting overseas. I can’t quite tell if they are just more informed than me or scaring themselves unnecessarily.

Regardless of an actual insurgence, this isn't a great time to be a minority in the US. My husband has expressed significant discomfort with the current climate, including things happening in our own neighborhood. We are exploring the possibility of other options. He has Canadian citizenship. If you would have asked me about this four years ago, I would have laughed you out of the room.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4011 on: September 09, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »

Regardless of an actual insurgence, this isn't a great time to be a minority in the US. My husband has expressed significant discomfort with the current climate, including things happening in our own neighborhood. We are exploring the possibility of other options. He has Canadian citizenship. If you would have asked me about this four years ago, I would have laughed you out of the room.

On the other hand, my cousins were arming themselves in 2016 (and there were runs on ammo) because obviously if Obama won, the blacks (sic) were going to start something.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4012 on: September 09, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »

On the other hand, my cousins were arming themselves in 2016 (and there were runs on ammo) because obviously if Obama won, the blacks (sic) were going to start something.

True but the President is actively encouraging one side this time. He's suggesting that people vote twice and that, if he loses, he wuz robbed. These are people who think that wearing a mask is taking away their fundamental freedoms. QAnon, which advocates for abolishing the Deep State worldwide child-sex ring, has seeped into high levels of the government.

1) Angry and scared people
1a) with guns
2) that are gullible
3) and encouraged by their leader, who happens to be the President

= Danger Will Robinson!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4013 on: September 09, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »

Right. And then there was the talk of moving to Canada back when W was starting up wars. But nothing came of that.

The difference this time is I see people actually moving overseas, not just talking about it.

@MaybeBabyMustache - I am surprised and disappointed to hear that your husband is seeing things that make him uncomfortable in your own neighborhood. I expected better for where you live.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4014 on: September 09, 2020, 10:58:29 PM »
As a minority person with significant resources and specific skills that are useful everywhere, I have looked into cash for residency arrangements. I expect some governmental agency to deal with the thugs who pull out guns or burn things after the election since then it’s bad for business. For the most part I expect little change to my life if Trump wins, and will just continue to donate to opposition groups. My real trigger to leave is if we show signs of slipping back to an apartheid or letting domestic terrorist organizations roam free. I grew up in an intensely racist town as an immigrant, and am not interested in my children or wife experiencing that. We lived in large cities so are mostly shielded from it, but who knows how state and federal controls on local racism and anti-immigrant bias will hold up as the economic crisis grinds on.
America doesn’t deal well with domestic crises in constructive ways until they’ve tried the chaos approach first. Overall I think our underlying laziness and complacency will lull whatever side loses back to a baseline whining and politics, but who knows how long that’ll take.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:08:21 PM by Abe »

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4015 on: September 10, 2020, 06:52:58 AM »
Perhaps we need a poll about interest in getting Canadian citizenship.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4016 on: September 10, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
You can't come to Canada.  We're building a wall to keep you out . . . and a great source (the best really) has told me that America will pay for it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4017 on: September 10, 2020, 06:57:32 AM »
You can't come to Canada.  We're building a wall to keep you out . . . and a great source (the best really) has told me that America will pay for it.
We already did and we are paying for it. I believe the cost has been some 200k lives and counting.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4018 on: September 10, 2020, 07:01:33 AM »

Saw a Tweet last week and immediately thought of you. It was a guy breaking down the spectrum of Far Left, Centrist, Far Right, and levels in between. He pointed out how in the US what the Republicans call politicians that represent "the Radical Left" are people whose chief concerns are that they simply don't want you to die from medical bills and how in any other country they'd be called Centrists.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4019 on: September 10, 2020, 08:16:11 AM »
@ysette9 - I've lost a lot of faith over the past month.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4020 on: September 10, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
@ysette9 - I've lost a lot of faith over the past month.
I’m really sorry. ~hugs~

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4021 on: September 10, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Interesting turn to the conversation. I work with veterans, and speaking to a veteran the other day he brought up his concerns.  That he served abroad in a number of third world countries (listing a whole list of countries) that had authoritarian governments and poor civil rights (soldiers walking in the street with rifles). Each time he served and came back he was thankful to be in the US and back home and safe. He never thought he'd say this, but changes to the US remind him of what he saw in those third world countries...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4022 on: September 10, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
Interesting turn to the conversation. I work with veterans, and speaking to a veteran the other day he brought up his concerns.  That he served abroad in a number of third world countries (listing a whole list of countries) that had authoritarian governments and poor civil rights (soldiers walking in the street with rifles). Each time he served and came back he was thankful to be in the US and back home and safe. He never thought he'd say this, but changes to the US remind him of what he saw in those third world countries...
That's no wonder at all. Trump behaves like a dictator, and if he wins again, he may really be one after 4 more years.

Not that nobody warned you about that. I know I did 4 years ago.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4023 on: September 10, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
We already did and we are paying for it. I believe the cost has been some 200k lives and counting.

The westcoast and northeast states can split off and join Canada to become the new world superpower.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4024 on: September 10, 2020, 03:41:42 PM »
Hey! What about the northern Midwest states like wisconsin and Michigan?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4025 on: September 10, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »

The westcoast and northeast states can split off and join Canada to become the new world superpower.

Then the remaining states can form a new country called Ameristan.    They will receive aid from Russian and China who will encourage them to attack the new player on the world stage.

We should write a thriller!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4026 on: September 10, 2020, 03:55:21 PM »

Then the remaining states can form a new country called Ameristan.    They will receive aid from Russian and China who will encourage them to attack the new player on the world stage.

We should write a thriller!

Then Wilfred Laurier would have been almost right, just the wrong century.   ;-)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4027 on: September 10, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »

I've always liked the idea of Cascadia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(independence_movement)

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4028 on: September 10, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
I live in BC and would prefer to remain part of Canada, so Washington, Oregon and California would need to join Canada.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4029 on: September 10, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
I live in BC and would prefer to remain part of Canada, so Washington, Oregon and California would need to join Canada.
As a Californian currently living in Washington, I support this plan

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4030 on: September 10, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »

Those of us in the rest of Canada would also like BC to remain part of Canada.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4031 on: September 10, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »

Can Texas become the 'Alaska' of Canada?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4032 on: September 10, 2020, 07:10:40 PM »

Are you willing to give up a lot of your guns, and have state-run health insurance?  Plus shift to the Parliamentary system?

And can you talk the rest of the country into letting you go?  Canadians don't get into fights until we have talked everything to death.  After all, Pierre Laporte was killed in 1970 and Quebec is still part of Canada.  Complete with a separatist party sitting in the Federal Parliament.  You might find us a bit odd to be part of.   ;-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4033 on: September 10, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »

Are you willing to give up a lot of your guns, and have state-run health insurance?  Plus shift to the Parliamentary system?

And can you talk the rest of the country into letting you go?  Canadians don't get into fights until we have talked everything to death.  After all, Pierre Laporte was killed in 1970 and Quebec is still part of Canada.  Complete with a separatist party sitting in the Federal Parliament.  You might find us a bit odd to be part of.   ;-)

That sounds so refreshingly..... adult-like.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4034 on: September 10, 2020, 09:04:11 PM »

Can't guarantee the rest, but we do have a Democratic contender, MJ Hegar, that wants to do away with 'open carry' (allowing people with long guns to walk around with them, which, surprisingly, leads to escalation and shootings)...  I think I'll take Trump's advice and vote twice for her :)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4035 on: September 11, 2020, 12:56:12 AM »

Did he say anything more specific about which US changes that made him say this?

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4036 on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
The west coast and northeast states can split off and join Canada to become the new world superpower.

Nice idea. The population of the proposed regions in what is now the US is about 60 millions, increasing the population of Canada to about 90 M. Enlarged Canada could send aid to the truncated United States.

This could play well for Trump, because the defection of liberal pointy heads will appeal to his base.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4037 on: September 11, 2020, 07:28:07 AM »
The west coast and northeast states can split off and join Canada to become the new world superpower.

Nice idea. The population of the proposed regions in what is now the US is about 60 millions, increasing the population of Canada to about 90 M. Enlarged Canada could send aid to the truncated United States.

This could play well for Trump, because the defection of liberal pointy heads will appeal to his base.

We could trade Alberta for those areas.  Alberta is pretty much American already.  They like oil, conservatives, guns, and polluting the environment.  :P

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4038 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:31 AM »

We could trade Alberta for those areas.  Alberta is pretty much American already.  They like oil, conservatives, guns, and polluting the environment.  :P

I was just about to say that my cousins from rural Alberta wouldn't really appreciate to be in a nation that embraced California, Oregon and Washington.  :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4039 on: September 11, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »

But we need a land connection to BC. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4040 on: September 11, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »

Did he say anything more specific about which US changes that made him say this?

He didn't get into details but he did mention military open carrying on the streets. As an employee I'm not actually supposed to talk about politics. I listen but I don't expand on those conversations. I do think it's interesting in that he had more experience than most what it's like to live in those countries, and he feels the US is moving in that direction.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:10:53 AM by partgypsy »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4041 on: September 11, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »

NWT -> Yukon -> BC

I mean, I know everyone hates the north but can't we just go around?

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4042 on: September 11, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
I know the whole "let's just join Canada is done tongue-in-cheek", but I think you guys really underestimate the "patriotism" in at least the East Coast US (yes, I am fully aware that I used that loaded word).

I can't really speak for California and Oregon and Washington because I have never lived there. But us New-Englanders do consider ourselves to be the "True American's". We are just too snooty to vocalize it in the crude ways that Trumpers do!!

I presume California/Oragon/Washington may be less "patriotic" because they lack the historical background that the East Coast has. But I don't quite see a world where California decides to sail out on it's own without the north-east. It's just too closely wedded to the East Coast economically and ideologically.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4043 on: September 11, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »
I know the whole "let's just join Canada is done tongue-in-cheek", but I think you guys really underestimate the "patriotism" in at least the East Coast US (yes, I am fully aware that I used that loaded word).

I can't really speak for California and Oregon and Washington because I have never lived there. But us New-Englanders do consider ourselves to be the "True American's". We are just too snooty to vocalize it in the crude ways that Trumpers do!!

I presume California/Oragon/Washington may be less "patriotic" because they lack the historical background that the East Coast has. But I don't quite see a world where California decides to sail out on it's own without the north-east. It's just too closely wedded to the East Coast economically and ideologically.

The North-east was the original 13 colonies.  You have rights to the name.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4044 on: September 11, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »

NWT -> Yukon -> BC

Northern routes are more difficult.  I'm sure some of the First Nations in Alberta would expect to have a say.  The Cree did with Quebec. 

Oops, we are sounding almost serious.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4045 on: September 11, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »

NWT -> Yukon -> BC

Northern routes are more difficult.  I'm sure some of the First Nations in Alberta would expect to have a say.  The Cree did with Quebec. 

Oops, we are sounding almost serious.

Everyone hates the north? I love the north. We gotta keep Alberta, they provide good diversity and differences of opinion which is healthy. Plus the whole anti-environmental piece is overplayed, in general I've always found that Albertans are passionate about the environment but they also recognize that their provinces economy relies on oil right now. There's lots of initiatives happening to shift that reliance but they won't do it overnight, nor should they. Let's not get down on our fellow Albertans.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4046 on: September 11, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »

No.  Canada already has Quebec (aka the "Texas of Canada").

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4047 on: September 11, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »

Quebec is the Texas of Canada?  Huh?  It's big and it's different but Texas?  I've heard Alberta called the Texas of Canada, because of the oil.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4048 on: September 11, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »

Quebec is the Texas of Canada?  Huh?  It's big and it's different but Texas?  I've heard Alberta called the Texas of Canada, because of the oil.

How is Quebec like Texas? (or:  how is Texas like Quebec?)
(This is in jest - though certainly someone will take offense...)
  • Very large geographically, large economy with some big cities
  • Constantly refers to themselves as their own 'nation'
  • Often considered "most annoying State/Provence" by people from the rest of the country
  • Residents frequently talk of succession even while taking in a large amount of federal tax monies (Texas was it's own sovereign nation, and succeeded from the US in 1861)
  • People from there tend to be very, very proud of where they are from
  • They are Texas/Quebeçois first, and Americans/Canadians only when it suits them
  • Visitors feel like the locals speak a completely different language
  • They're taught a unique view of national history the rest of us don't learn in elementary school

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4049 on: September 11, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »

How is Quebec like Texas? (or:  how is Texas like Quebec?)
(This is in jest - though certainly someone will take offense...)
  • Very large geographically, large economy with some big cities
  • Constantly refers to themselves as their own 'nation'
  • Often considered "most annoying State/Provence" by people from the rest of the country
  • Residents frequently talk of succession even while taking in a large amount of federal tax monies (Texas was it's own sovereign nation, and succeeded from the US in 1861)
  • People from there tend to be very, very proud of where they are from
  • They are Texas/Quebeçois first, and Americans/Canadians only when it suits them
  • Visitors feel like the locals speak a completely different language
  • They're taught a unique view of national history the rest of us don't learn in elementary school

Umm, there are parallels.  ;-)