Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779176 times)

Norioch

• Bristles

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #2601 on: June 26, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
In many cases the popularity of the MAGA philosophy is the result of the US being inward looking
Plus, possibly some blowback against the excesses of the progressives, who are now so desperate to tear down and vandalise statues, they're going for monuments to African-American soldiers who fought for the Union, and men who literally gave their lives for the freedom of African-Americans.

https://www.wbur.org/artery/2020/06/03/16-statues-memorials-damaged

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-25/protesters-pull-down-wrong-us-statue/12390702

They may be Woke, but they weren't awake in history class, nor did they trouble themselves to take five minutes on wikipedia to look things up before vandalising them. You think Drumpf is stupid? You're right, he is. But this is who's most violently against him. And people react to that.

I agree this is stupid. Hasn't happened in my area but stupid is as stupid does.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2602 on: June 26, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
Trump Administration Freezes Funds Intended to Benefit Hong Kong Protesters
Took him long to find out such thing exists. I mean it would be an embarresment when his fans find out he is financing libtards, right?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2603 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
Trump Administration Freezes Funds Intended to Benefit Hong Kong Protesters
Took him long to find out such thing exists. I mean it would be an embarresment when his fans find out he is financing libtards, right?
That, or if Bolton's stories are credible, it is a favor to Xi. What would Trump get in return?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2604 on: June 26, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »
In many cases the popularity of the MAGA philosophy is the result of the US being inward looking
Plus, possibly some blowback against the excesses of the progressives, who are now so desperate to tear down and vandalise statues, they're going for monuments to African-American soldiers who fought for the Union, and men who literally gave their lives for the freedom of African-Americans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-25/protesters-pull-down-wrong-us-statue/12390702

They may be Woke, but they weren't awake in history class, nor did they trouble themselves to take five minutes on wikipedia to look things up before vandalising them. You think Drumpf is stupid? You're right, he is. But this is who's most violently against him. And people react to that.

I agree this is stupid. Hasn't happened in my area but stupid is as stupid does.

A mob always overreacts.

I am curious what excesses of progressives in 2016 and prior contributed to Trump, though. No one was pulling down statues of abolitionists (or *gasp* Jesus) then.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2605 on: June 26, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »

A mob always overreacts.

I am curious what excesses of progressives in 2016 and prior contributed to Trump, though. No one was pulling down statues of abolitionists (or *gasp* Jesus) then.
Clearly it was the War on Christmas (happy holidays!). It's one step from that to a godless sharia law. /s

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2606 on: June 26, 2020, 12:30:19 PM »

A mob always overreacts.

Clearly it was the War on Christmas (happy holidays!). It's one step from that to a godless sharia law. /s

You laugh but my parents put up a sign every year urging people to "Keep Jesus in Christmas!"

I may accidentally run over it this year.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:58:13 PM by bacchi »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2607 on: June 26, 2020, 12:56:22 PM »
The Baking-cakes-for-gay marriages thing?

The Clean Power plan thing?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2608 on: June 26, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
The creating a marketplace in which people who are too lazy to work can buy health insurance thing?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2609 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »

A mob always overreacts.

You laugh but my parents put up a sign every year urging people to, "Keep Jesus in Christmas!"

I may accidentally run over it this year.
The conflation of tradition and religion in Christmas is pretty amazing. Yule logs, christmas trees, excessive gift giving, and the like are pretty direct co-ops of northern european pagan [sic] traditions. The general celebration also owes a lot of roots to Saturnalia, which is a decidedly non-christian event in it's original form. I usually want to respond that we should keep the Saturn in Saturnalia when I hear the keep Jesus in Christmas, but hold my tongue. I have no problem with people celebrating Christmas, but find the cultural defensiveness around it to be a sad symptom of our culture wars. Some people just love a good low stakes martyrdom, I guess.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2610 on: June 26, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
The creating a marketplace in which people who are too lazy to work can buy health insurance thing?
I think the preferred approach is the Milton Friedman-esque market-based death panels. "Let the market bring efficiency to who is denied healthcare! Just look at the profits as evidence of how well it works!"

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2611 on: June 26, 2020, 01:19:21 PM »
What me always strikes as strange is that many people who are "fans" of Jesus are also strongly against communism (and nowadays arabs).

I mean, that guy is the most known radical leftist, communist, arab convicted criminal of the world!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2612 on: June 26, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
Can we stick with Trump's latest outrages and leave non-Trump commentary about religion out of this thread? 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2613 on: June 26, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
Can we stick with Trump's latest outrages and leave non-Trump commentary about religion out of this thread?

Okay.

What me always strikes as strange is that many people who are "fans" of Trump (or he himself, see his bible stunt) say they are fans of Jesus and are also strongly against communism (and nowadays arabs).

I mean, that guy is the most known radical leftist, communist, arab convicted criminal of the world!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2616 on: June 27, 2020, 07:56:58 AM »
Straight-up gaslighting from Pence: WaPo: Pence tries to put positive spin on pandemic despite surging cases in South and West

Pence offered no new strategies to combat the rapidly spreading virus and minimized record daily case counts in several states as “outbreaks in specific counties.”

“As we stand here today, all 50 states and territories across the country are opening up, and safely and responsibly,” Pence said, a point that was undermined as Florida and Texas on Friday began to scale back or reverse their reopening plans because of growing outbreaks.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2617 on: June 27, 2020, 08:02:05 AM »
Straight-up gaslighting from Pence: WaPo: Pence tries to put positive spin on pandemic despite surging cases in South and West

Pence offered no new strategies to combat the rapidly spreading virus and minimized record daily case counts in several states as “outbreaks in specific counties.”

“As we stand here today, all 50 states and territories across the country are opening up, and safely and responsibly,” Pence said, a point that was undermined as Florida and Texas on Friday began to scale back or reverse their reopening plans because of growing outbreaks.

Ironically, CA was the one with supporting evidence, as they shut one country back down. That one county had already filled its two hospitals weeks ago!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2618 on: June 27, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
I think this qualifies as an outrage.

My God. I can’t even bear to summarize it. Just read today’s installment of historian Heather Cox Richardson’s “Letters From an American.”

https://email.mg2.substack.com/c/eJxtUku3mjAY_DWw0wOEhyxYtFot3gt3UbW2Gw4knxKFBPOQwq9vUO-i5_ScZDOZZPLNDC4VnLkYko5LZWsJoqAkWfjBIgiRTRKfuItgYVNZnARAW9ImUUKD3emqobhUlLPpgucECNl1QhxwqsCPUeQGJ3BwFJ1OyC-94ITjKKpKe5IpSk0oMAwJ3EEMnIHdJLVSnbTQF8tbm1VDqWoQmP8RFNelIJKzudSVVCW-zjFvDacz-6IZzLxw5jmeY6G14ldgFlrBsHWxdxiOXnNNL9zPV3s_3_0a35fbvkK588Ldj102fuzOMm2bmizTMNvtg2xMnWyVjdnQ0_KYj4ZH8fcDfd-lfW74Ke0pRgf6wDfxSJbu8Pvn-kI2zb2i23herHR9-FrIohXn1Xp8u6Mb1j9mt71_m21lntbHt-64Wd6_DVfLC7VqC8m1wGD-_TnhC2-BUN1O80zGv0DMmQKmJrYxBgxa4imGT8CmyeSGE3qRE_omlrk7r-8dUnWvh9jynfbs_WOlLZKroFJRBpVWDQjDOU-Cj0MTtJFsW82oGgpgZdUAeXZAPUvziFQNHSQMetmAUiCeoClGECMUL2yjR7h5kyX_S_YvonngDA
Trump's the best investment Putin has ever made.  In the movies there's always been a hero there to save us, too bad this isn't a movie.
This is also in the historical context of the US having directly supplied arms to the Muhajadeen (aka, Taliban) to use against the Russians when they were occupying Afghanistan in the 80s. This isn't to diminish the Trump admin's willful disregarding of it, but rather place in a context of how proxy wars work. In no sense is Russia our friend or ally.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2619 on: June 27, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
I think this qualifies as an outrage.

My God. I can’t even bear to summarize it. Just read today’s installment of historian Heather Cox Richardson’s “Letters From an American.”

https://email.mg2.substack.com/c/eJxtUku3mjAY_DWw0wOEhyxYtFot3gt3UbW2Gw4knxKFBPOQwq9vUO-i5_ScZDOZZPLNDC4VnLkYko5LZWsJoqAkWfjBIgiRTRKfuItgYVNZnARAW9ImUUKD3emqobhUlLPpgucECNl1QhxwqsCPUeQGJ3BwFJ1OyC-94ITjKKpKe5IpSk0oMAwJ3EEMnIHdJLVSnbTQF8tbm1VDqWoQmP8RFNelIJKzudSVVCW-zjFvDacz-6IZzLxw5jmeY6G14ldgFlrBsHWxdxiOXnNNL9zPV3s_3_0a35fbvkK588Ldj102fuzOMm2bmizTMNvtg2xMnWyVjdnQ0_KYj4ZH8fcDfd-lfW74Ke0pRgf6wDfxSJbu8Pvn-kI2zb2i23herHR9-FrIohXn1Xp8u6Mb1j9mt71_m21lntbHt-64Wd6_DVfLC7VqC8m1wGD-_TnhC2-BUN1O80zGv0DMmQKmJrYxBgxa4imGT8CmyeSGE3qRE_omlrk7r-8dUnWvh9jynfbs_WOlLZKroFJRBpVWDQjDOU-Cj0MTtJFsW82oGgpgZdUAeXZAPUvziFQNHSQMetmAUiCeoClGECMUL2yjR7h5kyX_S_YvonngDA
Trump's the best investment Putin has ever made.  In the movies there's always been a hero there to save us, too bad this isn't a movie.
This is also in the historical context of the US having directly supplied arms to the Muhajadeen (aka, Taliban) to use against the Russians when they were occupying Afghanistan in the 80s. This isn't to diminish the Trump admin's willful disregarding of it, but rather place in a context of how proxy wars work. In no sense is Russia our friend or ally.

And we can make our own Vodka!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2620 on: June 29, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
You see this in his reactions to protesters, particularly kneeling during the national anthem.  To Trump, this is disrespectful to the country, a sign that the protester does not love the United States, and those who perform such an act ougth to be cast out (see my response to ixtap above).  To the protesters, they are trying to acknowledge our faults in the hopes that we can fix them and make our country better.

Why would a protester love a country that doesn't love them? Respect is not a one way street.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2621 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:58 AM »
I feel as though it takes a big intellectual leap to distinguish: Love of the right to protest peaceably (an American value) versus the cause that is being highlighted by the protests.

Someone who loves American should appreciate that we all have that right to protest, even if zHe doesn't think our law enforcement agencies are producing unfair outcomes.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2622 on: June 29, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
You see this in his reactions to protesters, particularly kneeling during the national anthem.  To Trump, this is disrespectful to the country, a sign that the protester does not love the United States, and those who perform such an act ougth to be cast out (see my response to ixtap above).  To the protesters, they are trying to acknowledge our faults in the hopes that we can fix them and make our country better.

Why would a protester love a country that doesn't love them? Respect is not a one way street.

I'm not even sure if this is a serious comment.  One can love something that is imperfect, even deeply flawed.  People do it all the time both in their personal lives and regarding their country.  Countless people of color have fought and died for their country even while fully aware of its many faults - often directed at them. Parents love their children and people their spouses even after they've committed crimes against them.
At the heart of it is a desire to see flawed institutions and flawed individuals realize their potential and acknowledge there is often a great deal of good amongst the bad.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2623 on: June 29, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
not something I',m outraged at, but...

reddit has shut down r/The_Donald after thousands and thousands of forum violations.

I'd occasionally pass through there during some major DJT news story just to see how his biggest internet fans were taking it.  It was an amazing display of cognitive dissonance.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2624 on: June 29, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
No one has yet mentioned another latest outrage, namely retweeting a video of a white man in a Trump-loving parade of golf carts yelling "White Power! White Power!" at protesters, and Trump calling said golf-cart paraders "great people"?!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2625 on: June 29, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
No one has yet mentioned another latest outrage, namely retweeting a video of a white man in a Trump-loving parade of golf carts yelling "White Power! White Power!" at protesters, and Trump calling said golf-cart paraders "great people"?!

He took down the tweet a few hours later claiming "I didn't hear him."

In the latest episode of goal-post moving, Trump claims he didn't know about the Russian/Taliban bounty thing. Then he claims it simply wasn't credible and is a fake new fabrication.  I can't wait to hear the next iteration.  I only got this from one source, but allegedly he's going to brief the House in two separate meetings talking to Republicans and Democrats alone - for some reason. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2626 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »

In the latest episode of goal-post moving, Trump claims he didn't know about the Russian/Taliban bounty thing. Then he claims it simply wasn't credible and is a fake new fabrication.  I can't wait to hear the next iteration.  I only got this from one source, but allegedly he's going to brief the House in two separate meetings talking to Republicans and Democrats alone - for some reason.
If he does intend to address D and R separately on this, then it is even more of an outrage. Why make a 3rd party foreign policy issue so partisan unless distraction and division is the goal?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2627 on: June 29, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »

If he does intend to address D and R separately on this, then it is even more of an outrage. Why make a 3rd party foreign policy issue so partisan unless distraction and division is the goal?

There's quite a bit of bipartisan concern about this. He's worrying that his cheerleaders are jumping ship and he needs this to be an R vs D issue.  Even FoxNews is having an increasingly difficult time covering for him.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2628 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/trump-phone-calls-national-security-concerns/index.html
(CNN) - In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

More of the same, but still tragic and painful.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2629 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:17 AM »
Latest I've read on bountygate is that Trump was aware this was occurring sometime in 2019. It's bad enough if he knew in March 2020 and did nothing...but even further back than that with no statements or actions? It's almost like he's trying to lose the election at this point. It's so horrifying that it's almost comical. If you wrote a playbook for things not to do whilst trying to win reelection, it would read like the news feed of everything Trump is currently doing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2630 on: June 30, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »
Latest I've read on bountygate is that Trump was aware this was occurring sometime in 2019. It's bad enough if he knew in March 2020 and did nothing...but even further back than that with no statements or actions? It's almost like he's trying to lose the election at this point. It's so horrifying that it's almost comical. If you wrote a playbook for things not to do whilst trying to win reelection, it would read like the news feed of everything Trump is currently doing.

This is literal treason.

Imagine the cognitive dissonance required of the “Support our troops” MAGAs to close their eyes to this.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2631 on: June 30, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »

This is literal treason.

Imagine the cognitive dissonance required of the “Support our troops” MAGAs to close their eyes to this.
Please enlighten me puzzling foreigner.

If I got that right, "Bountygate" is that Russia paid Taliban for each kill they achieved of US soldiers, right?

Putting aside that this a reasonably usual strategy, no surprise tactics... why is the US enraged about this?
It was the US that financed, trained and equipped the Taliban to fight against an invasion in their country - done by Russia.
So why it is that rage inducing when Russia pays Taliban to fight against an invasion in their country, this time done by the US? Nothing more than quid pro quo, you could say.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2632 on: June 30, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
Trump claims he didn't know about the Russian/Taliban bounty thing. Then he claims it simply wasn't credible and is a fake new fabrication.
I believe him, in this case.

Demanding Afghanistan hand over Bin Laden, the US refused a Taliban offer to give him up to an international tribunal, and invaded Afghanistan 19 years and 8 months ago, toppling their regime, and causing the deaths of some 360,000 Afghans, tossing billions of dollars at corrupt warlords in the meantime. This war is ongoing.

I don't think they need a cash incentive to want to kill US troops.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2633 on: June 30, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
Trump claims he didn't know about the Russian/Taliban bounty thing. Then he claims it simply wasn't credible and is a fake new fabrication.

Demanding Afghanistan hand over Bin Laden, the US refused a Taliban offer to give him up to an international tribunal, and invaded Afghanistan 19 years and 8 months ago, toppling their regime, and causing the deaths of some 360,000 Afghans, tossing billions of dollars at corrupt warlords in the meantime. This war is ongoing.

I believe that he didn't know, because he seems to know very little and to have very little interest in changing that status. But he's the President and Commander in Chief of the armed forces. It is literally his job to know, especially when it appears that national intelligence brought it to him a year ago. There's no excuse for his intellectual and overall laziness and outright refusal to do his job even at a minimal level.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2634 on: June 30, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
I'm sure he's given at least a dozen "maybe so-and-so is doing such-and-such" a week. Nobody's going to remember them all.

Again, I think it's bullshit. Thinking the Taliban need some cash incentive to kill American troops really underestimates the resolve of the Afghan enemy. Of course, such deluded underestimations may be a partial explanation as to why you've been unable to defeat them in close on two decades.

You don't need to make up this sort of nonsense to have contempt for old Drumpf, he's done plenty of dumb shit. Focus on that if you want to have any hope of knocking him out of the White House. Don't be distracted by made-up crap like this, it strengthens him.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2635 on: June 30, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »

I believe that he didn't know, because he seems to know very little and to have very little interest in changing that status. But he's the President and Commander in Chief of the armed forces. It is literally his job to know, especially when it appears that national intelligence brought it to him a year ago. There's no excuse for his intellectual and overall laziness and outright refusal to do his job even at a minimal level.
Sure it's possible the President didn't know, because he doesn't like to read. The intelligence community specifically stated Trump was in fact informed via written briefing in late February and possibly again later on. Kayleigh McEnany, when pressed, simply said "the President was not personally briefed." Gotta love the spin on this one. I would say they are playing the "idiot card," but Trump truly is an idiot.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2636 on: June 30, 2020, 09:14:30 AM »
I'm sure he's given at least a dozen "maybe so-and-so is doing such-and-such" a week. Nobody's going to remember them all.

Again, I think it's bullshit. Thinking the Taliban need some cash incentive to kill American troops really underestimates the resolve of the Afghan enemy. Of course, such deluded underestimations may be a partial explanation as to why you've been unable to defeat them in close on two decades.

You don't need to make up this sort of nonsense to have contempt for old Drumpf, he's done plenty of dumb shit. Focus on that if you want to have any hope of knocking him out of the White House. Don't be distracted by made-up crap like this, it strengthens him.

So bounties on American troops is apparently not "memorable" enough? And it's all "fake news." Gotcha! Seems every time you comment you are talking about what continues to "strengthen Trump" yet Trump's support keeps eroding. Same rhetoric I see from Trump supporters.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
Perhaps Trump wants Russia included at the G-7 (and personally visiting his Doral property for the next G-7 meeting) so that he can personally admonish Putin and the Russian delegation over this "bounty" practice? Two things that looked scandalous actually aren't, because they're linked.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2638 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:51 AM »
These are the same Taliban that the CIA payed, gave weapons to, and trained in guerrilla tactics under Reagan?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2639 on: June 30, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
Perhaps Trump wants Russia included at the G-7 (and personally visiting his Doral property for the next G-7 meeting) so that he can personally admonish Putin and the Russian delegation over this "bounty" practice? Two things that looked scandalous actually aren't, because they're linked.

why does he need to wait until the G-7 G-8 (which might not happen) to personally admonish Putin?  He could do that right now. Instead he's stayed mum on the matter.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2640 on: June 30, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »

why does he need to wait until the G-7 G-8 (which might not happen) to personally admonish Putin?  He could do that right now. Instead he's stayed mum on the matter.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2641 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »

Nope, that's a cop-out. It's literally his job as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces to take things like this seriously. If he is unable or unwilling to do so, he should not hold the office.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2642 on: June 30, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »

Nope, that's a cop-out. It's literally his job as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces to take things like this seriously. If he is unable or unwilling to do so, he should not hold the office.

Exactly. That is one HELL of a thing to forget. If he did forget, he's incompetent and should be removed from office.

If he got a written briefing and just didn't read it, he's incompetent and should be removed from office.

If he didn't forget, he is a traitor and should be removed from office.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:39:59 AM by Kris »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2643 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
Again, I think it's bullshit. Thinking the Taliban need some cash incentive to kill American troops really underestimates the resolve of the Afghan enemy
If that payment is real, it does make sense. It has nothing to do with incentive to kill US troops. But it has a lot to do with actually do the killing. A head bounty is simply a sure way to get what you pay for. A very darwinist-capitalistic approach: If someone proved he was good enough to achieve one hit, pay them so they ca get better equipped for the next one.

In contrast the US payed Pakistan billions over years to fight Taliban and nothing much happened. After all, for the Pakistani leaders, the Taliban may be a PITA, but not a threat. They could even be utilized to strengthen control over the 90% of the country they weren't in.

When the US changed the war bounty to a head bounty, there was at least some effort by the Pakistani troops, and a few months later US troops were allowed to attack Osama bin Laden.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2644 on: June 30, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
It seems to me paying Taliban soldiers to kill US troops would shift them from a religious-based militant organization to Russian mercenaries.

It concerns me deeply that Russia is paying mercenaries to kill US troops.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2645 on: June 30, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
It seems to me paying Taliban soldiers to kill US troops would shift them from a religious-based militant organization to Russian mercenaries.

Paying bounties to kill American soldiers is an action that no president should leave unanswered.

If our adversaries around the world see that American soldiers can be killed in this way with no real response, they're likely to adopt similar tactics.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2646 on: June 30, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »

Paying bounties to kill American soldiers is an action that no president should leave unanswered.

If our adversaries around the world see that American soldiers can be killed in this way with no real response, they're likely to adopt similar tactics.

I agree.  But my broader point is simply that once another country is paying bounties, that country is attacking US soldiers. 

This is no longer the Taliban attacking and killing US soldiers.  This is Russia attacking US troops with hired soldiers. The Taliban is simply an intermediary: mercenaries for Russia.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2647 on: June 30, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

I agree.  But my broader point is simply that once another country is paying bounties, that country is attacking US soldiers. 

This is no longer the Taliban attacking and killing US soldiers.  This is Russia attacking US troops with hired soldiers. The Taliban is simply an intermediary: mercenaries for Russia.

Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2648 on: June 30, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »

Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you.
Agreed.  you and I are agreeing.  We are not disagreeing.
;-)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2649 on: June 30, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Agreed.  you and I are agreeing.  We are not disagreeing.
;-)

Sometimes you just have to agree to agree.