Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779015 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #2350 on: June 09, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »
In the case of Ivanka Trump, the policies she favors tend to be pretty far left (I think of paid parental leave, or criminal justice reform as examples)
To this British and formerly also European citizen the idea of paid parental leave as "pretty far left" was a real double-take.  In the UK we've had paid maternity leave for decades and paid paternity leave first came in under a Conservative (technically coalition) government in 2011, with shared paid parental leave starting in 2015, also under the Conservatives.

USA politics is sometimes seriously out of whack with today's world.  As I believe you are just discovering as respects racism.

Indeed, the USA was pretty far to the right of the rest of the world in the 1970s. And--beginning then--we moved even farther right, as Ronald Reagan, Newt Gingrich, and Mitch McConnell executed their plans to shrink the Federal government drastically while stymying Democrats' attempts to expand social services and regulation in those moments when Democrats won power.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2351 on: June 09, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
I appreciate the effort to make these questions data driven (thank you for this database, @MDM ), but is left-right really the correct axis?

I thought Universities typically censor speakers for saying things that might endanger students (Doxxing critics, like Milo Yiannopoulis, or insulting them via hate speech or microaggressions, like Anne Coulter). Isn't there some other way of better measuring these tendencies than our traditional liberal-conservative matrix?
You're welcome.

Agreed that reality often does not conform to a one-dimensional line.  Some years back there were a few two-dimensional self-survey grids linked in this forum - don't recall the specific axis labels offhand.

Anyone inhabiting a mid-range on those measures is liable to be viewed by those on the extremes as "the other extreme," whether 1, 2, or N-dimensional, but again your point is good.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2352 on: June 09, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »
Getting back on topic, our wonderful shit head in chief is now tweeting out an unsubstantiated conspiracy that the gentleman in Buffalo, who was shoved to the ground by police and remains in serious condition, was some sort of ANTIFA provocateur. I feel like there isn't even a Republican party anymore. It's just a party full of conspiracy theorist. You have the Dems running against the tin-foil hat brigade. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:22:54 PM by MasterStache »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2353 on: June 09, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
Getting back on topic, our wonderful shit head in chief is now tweeting out an unsubstantiated conspiracy that the gentleman in Buffalo, who was shoved to the ground by police and remains in serious condition, was some sort of ANTIFA provocateur. I feel like there isn't even a Republican party anymore. It's just a party full of conspiracy theorist. You have the Dems running against the tin-foil hat birgade.

There are pics going around that claim his camera (water?) strap is actually a tube for fake blood. Yes, this Antifa protestor FAKED the fall and concussion...and no cops or medical staff noticed. Or maybe they were all in on it too?

At least 2 4 Texas county GOP chairs have claimed that the Floyd death was staged to discredit Trump among black voters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/texas-county-george-floyd-racist-post/index.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:30:08 PM by bacchi »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2354 on: June 09, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
Getting back on topic, our wonderful shit head in chief is now tweeting out an unsubstantiated conspiracy that the gentleman in Buffalo, who was shoved to the ground by police and remains in serious condition, was some sort of ANTIFA provocateur. I feel like there isn't even a Republican party anymore. It's just a party full of conspiracy theorist. You have the Dems running against the tin-foil hat birgade.

There are pics going around that claim his camera (water?) strap is actually a tube for fake blood. Yes, this Antifa protestor FAKED the fall and concussion...and no cops or medical staff noticed. Or maybe they were all in on it too?

At least 2 Texas county GOP chairs have claimed that the Floyd death was staged to discredit Trump among black voters.

Isn't it bad enough that they've had to gerrymander districts, purge voter rolls, block expanded absentee voting, and close precincts because otherwise they wouldn't win elections? This is a new low even for the GOP. Sick.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2355 on: June 09, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »

At least 2 Texas county GOP chairs have claimed that the Floyd death was staged to discredit Trump among black voters.

Isn't it bad enough that they've had to gerrymander districts, purge voter rolls, block expanded absentee voting, and close precincts because otherwise they wouldn't win elections? This is a new low even for the GOP. Sick.

He got it from an OANN story, which was reported by a computer voice with a Russian accent. No shit.

Kristian Rouz, the "reporter," used to write for Sputnik, a Russian propaganda network.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:40:06 PM by bacchi »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2356 on: June 09, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »

He got it from an OANN story, which was reported by a computer voice with a Russian accent. No shit.

Seriously, I can no longer distinguish reality from The Onion or The Borowitz Report.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2357 on: June 09, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
This reeks of desperation...

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2358 on: June 09, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »
I think it's most definitely desperation. He's falling further and further behind in the polls and it's driving him insane

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2359 on: June 09, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »

Seriously, I can no longer distinguish reality from The Onion or The Borowitz Report.

Ok, where is this headline from?   (no googling)

Police Chief Vows To Take Concrete Steps To Better Cover Up Violence

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2360 on: June 09, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »

Ok, where is this headline from?   (no googling)

Police Chief Vows To Take Concrete Steps To Better Cover Up Violence

Honestly, I can't tell.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2361 on: June 09, 2020, 04:45:03 PM »

Kristian Rouz, the "reporter," used to write for Sputnik, a Russian propaganda network.

You should check out more of her reporting. OAN is unapologetically Trump's propaganda machine. They make Fox News look respectable. They actively kiss each other's asses right there in the press room.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2362 on: June 09, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
Oooohhhh!!!  This can be a new game!  “Is this headline real or satire?”

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2363 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
Oooohhhh!!!  This can be a new game!  “Is this headline real or satire?”

I have played that game. It tends to get depressing real fast.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2364 on: June 09, 2020, 05:00:28 PM »
Lately, it has seemed to me that we all appear to be participating in an extended game of Calvinball with life and death stakes.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2365 on: June 09, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »
Lately, it has seemed to me that we all appear to be participating in an extended game of Calvinball with life and death stakes.
News Rule!  The next time police hit a minor in the face with a tear gas canister all GOP legislators have to say “The CDC causes cancer” in their very next interview! And painted letters on the street are now lava!”

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2366 on: June 09, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
Trump's tweet on the matter.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2367 on: June 09, 2020, 07:36:57 PM »
Is there any chance it is just rumormongering that Stephen Miller is writing a speech on race relations??

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2368 on: June 09, 2020, 08:32:55 PM »
Is there any chance it is just rumormongering that Stephen Miller is writing a speech on race relations??

Probably not. The Trump administration is 1) sufficiently tone-deaf and 2) intrinsically cruel enough that they probably think it's a good idea. Even if letting Miller write it is akin to letting Goebbels write a speech on race relations in 1932.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2369 on: June 09, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »

Probably not. The Trump administration is 1) sufficiently tone-deaf and 2) intrinsically cruel enough that they probably think it's a good idea. Even if letting Miller write it is akin to letting Goebbels write a speech on race relations in 1932.

Understatement of the week. The President wants to hold some kind of forum or discussion on policing. This from the same President who considers everyone with a contrary opinion on this matter a terrorist, repeatedly encourages the police be more violent, and threatened lethal force against tens of thousands of unarmed people last week.  I'm expecting his next public statement on the subject to be that we should be thanking him for his bravery.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2370 on: June 10, 2020, 06:36:11 AM »
Agreed...I can almost see the topics of discussion at the forum being centered on how we need to increase funding to the police, funnel more military-grade gear and weapons to them, and remove all those pesky "restrictions" that keep them from really dominating like Trump wants them to

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2371 on: June 10, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »
He believes that standing behind law enforcement is part of the path to holding his coalition together for re-election. Indeed it could be true.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2372 on: June 10, 2020, 07:20:27 AM »
I feel like our approach to policing and our approach with the military are very similar.  The underlying presumption seems to be "if we have the most advanced equipment, the most firepower and the most funding, we'll win!"

Not coincidentally, this approach has led to similar problems.  We've been unable to drone-strike our way complete submission in foreign nations, and overwhelming force against civilians in domestic cities has not ended crime.  Both likely have contributed to continuous (and largely warranted) distrust and resentment.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2373 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:58 AM »
But crime is much lower today than in 1990. That doesn't mean that it's because of militarized police.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2374 on: June 10, 2020, 07:35:46 AM »
I feel like our approach to policing and our approach with the military are very similar.  The underlying presumption seems to be "if we have the most advanced equipment, the most firepower and the most funding, we'll win!"

Not coincidentally, this approach has led to similar problems.  We've been unable to drone-strike our way complete submission in foreign nations, and overwhelming force against civilians in domestic cities has not ended crime.  Both likely have contributed to continuous (and largely warranted) distrust and resentment.

It doesn't win wars either.  Its amazing how much people distrust you when you tell them they're the enemy AND you're also there to serve and protect them.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2375 on: June 10, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »

It doesn't win wars either.  Its amazing how much people distrust you when you tell them they're the enemy AND you're also there to serve and protect them.

Shocking.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2376 on: June 10, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
How much does your US city (or the nearest big one) pay for police? I have seen some shocking screens (like police the highest budget point) and just can't believe it.

I want to compare that to Berlin, a well known hotspot of leftist extremists, thanks to whom you can for example look at this fantasic budget plan.
https://www.berlin.de/sen/finanzen/haushalt/haushaltsplan/artikel.5697.php (only German though it seems, but look how it could be)
If you wonder where "police" is, it's under "Inneres und Sport", and amounts to roughly 1.5 billion Euro or 7%. (Or 8% if you include safety costs for capital city)
The budget combines both city and state costs for police, which is I think fairer since in the US police is city only responsibility, right? Germany it's mostly state level.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2377 on: June 10, 2020, 02:39:54 PM »
So it sounds as though Trump is really digging in his heals about the naming of certain military bases. In particularly the ten that are named after Generals who fought for the Confederacy. Since Trump likes winning (the Confederacy didn't do this), I wonder what aspect of the CSA he finds so worthy of commemoration.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2378 on: June 10, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »
He believes that standing behind law enforcement is part of the path to holding his coalition together for re-election. Indeed it could be true.

That's contingent on one of the following - either:

A) Protest violence turns off voters (seems unlikely - protests have been turning less violent over time from what I can tell, which should help liberals/hurt Trump)
B) Biden/Democrats overplay their hand.  So far Biden's avoided that trap in interviews when asked about "defund the police" - and answered the question very effectively(in my opinion).  But there's still time for the Dems to screw this one up.

I'd take a different view - while Trump is a shameless narcissistic opportunist in most things, heavy-handed law enforcement is one of his few consistent, sincerely-held beliefs, dating all the way back to the Central Park five.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2379 on: June 10, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
So it sounds as though Trump is really digging in his heals about the naming of certain military bases. In particularly the ten that are named after Generals who fought for the Confederacy. Since Trump likes winning (the Confederacy didn't do this), I wonder what aspect of the CSA he finds so worthy of commemoration.

His position is that because modern heroes deploy from these bases, they're symbols of winning. He's making it a "support our troops" issue.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2380 on: June 10, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »

His position is that because modern heroes deploy from these bases, they're symbols of winning. He's making it a "support our troops" issue.

Then we should just name all of them after the defeated parties. Fort Hitler, Fort Taliban...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2381 on: June 10, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »

Then we should just name all of them after the defeated parties. Fort Hitler, Fort Taliban...

The Navy is getting out in front of him and banning Confederate symbols on its own authority. Even NASCAR!! just banned Confederate flags.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2382 on: June 10, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »

The Navy is getting out in front of him and banning Confederate symbols on its own authority. Even NASCAR!! just banned Confederate flags.

Literally the only case in which a coherent argument (not convincing, but coherent, nonetheless) could be made for not banning it. AND THEY STILL BANNED IT!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: June 10, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »

Yeah, but they’re named after men who fought for a failed, treasonous state. Plenty of US military legends didn’t fight on the side that wanted to keep buying and selling people as livestock.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2384 on: June 10, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »

Yeah, but they’re named after men who fought for a failed, treasonous state. Plenty of US military legends didn’t fight on the side that wanted to keep buying and selling people as livestock.

I'm not disagreeing with you. While the rank and file are split on this issue, those in favor have had a dozen potential candidates for years.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2385 on: June 10, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with you. While the rank and file are split on this issue, those in favor have had a dozen potential candidates for years.

Oh, sorry. I know we're in agreement. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the insanity that is Trump's decision-making. I really need to stop doing that.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2386 on: June 10, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
White supremacist, err I mean Trump campaign, rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth.

SICK FUCKERS!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2387 on: June 10, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »

SICK FUCKERS!

Wow, this reeks of Stephen Miller.

I wonder if the City of Tulsa knows that they've just agreed to give him a rally on their dime, since the Trump campaign has a long history of not paying for its rallies.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2388 on: June 10, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »

SICK FUCKERS!

Wow, this reeks of Stephen Miller.

I wonder if the City of Tulsa knows that they've just agreed to give him a rally on their dime, since the Trump campaign has a long history of not paying for its rallies.

How did Tulsa vote last time? Trump took the state by a large margin.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2389 on: June 11, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »

I actually think this is brilliant. Oh, the bombers that levelled Wilhelmshaven left from here? Well, that's what we're naming it!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2390 on: June 11, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

I actually think this is brilliant. Oh, the bombers that levelled Wilhelmshaven left from here? Well, that's what we're naming it!!!

The Taliban weren't defeated.  The invasion of Afghanistan overthrew them, but they have steadily re-taken control of the country.  Currently they're running about 10-20% and contesting another 25% most estimates I've seen.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2391 on: June 11, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »

The Taliban weren't defeated.  The invasion of Afghanistan overthrew them, but they have steadily re-taken control of the country.  Currently they're running about 10-20% and contesting another 25% most estimates I've seen.

That did occur to me, but it made the renaming all the more brilliant on the FFS (for fucks'* sake) scale.

*As long as we are being pedantic, how many fucks are we forsaking? Just one or all of them?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2392 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
...technically Mississippi never surrendered at the end of the civil war.  Many there argue that they, too, were never "defeated".

And I think we should never foresake more than half of our fucks, at any one time.  Too risky, otherwise.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2393 on: June 11, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »

That did occur to me, but it made the renaming all the more brilliant on the FFS (for fucks'* sake) scale.

*As long as we are being pedantic, how many fucks are we forsaking? Just one or all of them?

I'm sure that Fort Bin Laden would be a very popular naming choice.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2394 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »

That is another country though. The Bin Ladens are Saudi, which is why they were the only ones allowed to fly (away) after 9/11.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2395 on: June 11, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »

That is another country though. The Bin Ladens are Saudi, which is why they were the only ones allowed to fly (away) after 9/11.

Yes, thanks, I'm very aware that Bin Laden was not American. That was the point. Neither were the Confederate generals when their states had seceded from the Union and waged war against its soldiers. If we're going to name US military forts after generals from the defeated enemy Confederate state, why not other types of defeated generals?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2396 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
I grew up in the South, and the naming of stuff after Confederate heros was so commonplace I rarely gave it much thought.
BUT... let's not forget that this is not limited to ten military bases.  Growing up, the pool I used to swim at was named for Robert E Lee; our rival highschool was Thomas (stonewall) Jackson, my sister went to JEB Stuart middle school and there was a statue of Jefferson Davis nearby.  You coudln't take a road trip without getting on some highway or byway named for a confederate.  We even had an official state holiday, the baffling "Lee-Jackson-King day" (which merged MLK Jr. day with the birthdays of Robert E Lee and Thomas Jackson).

Point is - the naming of **** after confederates is systemic in large swaths of the US.  Fair credit, several of the places of my youth have been re-named.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2397 on: June 11, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
I wonder how long it will take Trump to see the opportunity of renaming all these places after himself, his crooked cronies, and his family? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2398 on: June 11, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
I wonder how long it will take Trump to see the opportunity of renaming all these places after himself, his crooked cronies, and his family?

Every president I can think of has a slew of public buildings named after them somewhere.  I’m sure Trump will be no exception.

I cannot think of a president who tried to name a place after himself while in office, but Trump hasn’t been constrained by the norms from other presidencies...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2399 on: June 11, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »

Every president I can think of has a slew of public buildings named after them somewhere.  I’m sure Trump will be no exception.

I cannot think of a president who tried to name a place after himself while in office, but Trump hasn’t been constrained by the norms from other presidencies...

we have a landfill in our area that needs a name. trump dump.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!