Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779114 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #2050 on: May 26, 2020, 03:44:22 PM »
Ohio always seems so gettable to Democrats. It disappointed them in 2004, and it was out of reach in 2016.

If Biden wins it, he's probably winning so many places it won't matter.

The only Dems to win statewide in Ohio since 2008 are Obama and Sherrod Brown.  Until the population losses in the rural areas increase more, it's a very reddish state for now.  Population is increasing a lot in Columbus (heavily Dem area) and Cincinnati (Dem, but only slightly).

On the list of needed & winnable states, it probably goes:
-Pennsylvania
-Michigan
-North Carolina
-Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida
-Georgia
-Texas, Ohio

as my uneducated list, in terms of "gettability."  It may go Dem, but it's far down the list of where the resources are going to go.  PA, MI, NC, AZ are all much more likely to flip and WI and FL are virtual 50/50s.
Cincinnati Metro leans slightly Conservative. But Hamilton County continues to see a decline in Republican leaning voters. They saw a 10% drop from 2004 to 2016. In fact Dems lost the county by nearly 12% in 2000 but won the county by more than 10% in 2016. Unfortunately Ohio is also gerrymandered state favoring Republicans. Go figure!

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2051 on: May 26, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »
Speaking of Trump spending the weekend golfing and tweeting, his tweets included continuing to casually suggest that Joe Scarborough committed murder back in 2001. Even though this preposterous claim never had any merit and has been completely debunked, and the family of the young woman who died (the coroner determined she had a heart condition, fainted, and hit her head on the desk) has asked him to stop, Trump continues to push this hateful conspiracy.

Good thing the President of the United States has nothing more important going on.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/916338/trump-keeps-falsely-accusing-joe-scarborough-murder-long-past-weird

"A 28-year-old staffer in a local Florida congressional office of Joe Scarborough, then a Republican congressman, died at work in 2001, fatally hitting her head on a desk after fainting due to an undiagnosed "floppy" heart valve, the medical examiner ruled at the time. Local officials never suspected foul play in the death of Lori Klausutis, and Scarborough himself was 900 miles away in Washington, but Trump resumed baselessly accusing him of murder over the weekend, The Washington Post recounts.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2052 on: May 26, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »
Here's one of Trump's Very Presidential Tweetstm about then-Republican Congressman Joe Scarborogh:

"The opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough was not a Donald Trump original thought, this has been going on for years, long before I joined the chorus. In 2016 when Joe & his wacky future ex-wife, Mika, would endlessly interview me, I would always be thinking about whether or not Joe could have done such a horrible thing? Maybe or maybe not, but I find Joe to be a total Nut Job, and I knew him well, far better than most. So many unanswered & obvious questions, but I won't bring them up now! Law enforcement eventually will?"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2053 on: May 26, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »
Here's one of Trump's Very Presidential Tweetstm about then-Republican Congressman Joe Scarborogh:

"The opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough was not a Donald Trump original thought, this has been going on for years, long before I joined the chorus. In 2016 when Joe & his wacky future ex-wife, Mika, would endlessly interview me, I would always be thinking about whether or not Joe could have done such a horrible thing? Maybe or maybe not, but I find Joe to be a total Nut Job, and I knew him well, far better than most. So many unanswered & obvious questions, but I won't bring them up now! Law enforcement eventually will?"

If he weren't Trump, a libel suit would seem appropriate and necessary. I hope Joe and Mika have good personal security because the president just put targets on their backs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2054 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
Just off track a little more, if you are a Brit of certain years, a faggot was a non derogatory term for a foodstuff once.

DId you just liken cigarettes to “food”?  Phillip Morris wants to thank you from the bottom of their very deep pockets...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2055 on: May 26, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
Just off track a little more, if you are a Brit of certain years, a faggot was a non derogatory term for a foodstuff once.

DId you just liken cigarettes to “food”?  Phillip Morris wants to thank you from the bottom of their very deep pockets...

Turns out, fags are cigs, but faggots are offal meatballs....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2056 on: May 26, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »

I thought the cigarettes were called "fags"?  Not up on old British slang.

Going back far enough, faggots were definitely bundles of sticks.  Like the Latin fascia.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2057 on: May 26, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »

Huh.

English is such a bizarre language...

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2058 on: May 26, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »

If he weren't Trump, a libel suit would seem appropriate and necessary. I hope Joe and Mika have good personal security because the president just put targets on their backs.

Of course Trump knows how to skirt libel laws (and many others laws) by coming this close to saying something, but not actually saying it. His favorite "go to" is "a lot of people are saying..." See, Trump didn't say it, "a lot of people" did, and Trump's just stating that. Or inviting "law enforcement to look into it" without flat-out stating "Joe Scarborough committed murder."

As far as inciting some crazy person to play vigilante at Joe Scarborough or Mika B., even though neither one of them could have had anything to do with the young woman's death --- yup, Trump's a pro at that, too.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2059 on: May 26, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
While I enjoy hearing Coulter calling out Trump’s many faults, her word choice is despicable.  She just throws her own schoolyard insults tinged with homophobia and intolerance: he is a ‘fruitcake’ and ‘retard’.  He is not a [real] ‘MAN’.

I'm totally down with calling someone a fruitcake. It's been around as a term for a nutter for a hell of lot longer than Rechy and his fruit salad.

Perhaps it has a different meaning in New Zealand.  Here it’s often used as a derogatory term for a homosexual, e.g. “he’s a fruitcake, a faggot, a queer’.

I definitely would not allow one of my students to refer to another as a “fruitcake”.

It's a very old English phrase, "as nutty as a fruitcake". I wouldn't allow people to refer to others as fruitcakes if they were meaning gay, either. If they mean crazy, which it does here, all good.

I'm not at all fond of the phrase "it's so gay" meaning bad, either. Stupid thing to say.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2060 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:39 PM »
While I enjoy hearing Coulter calling out Trump’s many faults, her word choice is despicable.  She just throws her own schoolyard insults tinged with homophobia and intolerance: he is a ‘fruitcake’ and ‘retard’.  He is not a [real] ‘MAN’.

I'm totally down with calling someone a fruitcake. It's been around as a term for a nutter for a hell of lot longer than Rechy and his fruit salad.

Perhaps it has a different meaning in New Zealand.  Here it’s often used as a derogatory term for a homosexual, e.g. “he’s a fruitcake, a faggot, a queer’.

I definitely would not allow one of my students to refer to another as a “fruitcake”.

I know we are going OT but to me fruitcake is still a nut case.  Because good fruitcakes have got nuts in them?  I won't miss this subversion as much as I miss gay, because there really is no one word replacement for the 40s/50s meaning of gay.
What about jolly, from the french jolie?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2061 on: May 26, 2020, 06:14:34 PM »

Huh.

FYI- the association of faggot with gay is from the historical practice of burning homosexuals at the stake (along with anyone else deemed a bit different, heretical, or you just were willing to turn them in to the inquisition to get their land). The faggots were the bundles of sticks used as fuel for the fire. When used in a derogatory sense, faggot is a really, really ugly phrase. And if that seems t0o fantastical, remember that Turing was chemically castrated shortly after WWII for being homosexual despite having been a driving force in the Allies winning the war through his codebreaking (and groundbreaking) early computer.

A fag as a cigarette is a little burning stick you put in your mouth.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #2062 on: May 26, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »

Huh.

FYI- the association of faggot with gay is from the historical practice of burning homosexuals at the stake (along with anyone else deemed a bit different, heretical, or you just were willing to turn them in to the inquisition to get their land). The faggots were the bundles of sticks used as fuel for the fire. When used in a derogatory sense, faggot is a really, really ugly phrase. And if that seems t0o fantastical, remember that Turing was chemically castrated shortly after WWII for being homosexual despite having been a driving force in the Allies winning the war through his codebreaking (and groundbreaking) early computer.

A fag as a cigarette is a little burning stick you put in your mouth.

FYI - you have the etymology of 'faggot' wrong:

"male homosexual," 1914, American English slang, probably from earlier contemptuous term for "woman" (1590s), especially an old and unpleasant one, in reference to faggot (n.1) "bundle of sticks," as something awkward that has to be carried (compare baggage "worthless woman," 1590s). It may also be reinforced by Yiddish faygele "homosexual" (n.), literally "little bird." It also may have roots in British public school slang noun fag "a junior who does certain duties for a senior"

The explanation that male homosexuals were called faggots because they were burned at the stake as punishment is an etymological urban legend. Burning sometimes was a punishment meted out to homosexuals in Christian Europe (on the suggestion of the Biblical fate of Sodom and Gomorrah), but in England, where parliament had made homosexuality a capital offense in 1533, hanging was the method prescribed. Use of faggot in connection with public executions had long been obscure English historical trivia by the time the word began to be used for "male homosexual" in 20th century American slang, whereas the contemptuous slang word for "woman" (in common with the other possible sources or influences listed here) was in active use early 20c., by D.H. Lawrence and James Joyce, among others.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/faggot

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2063 on: May 26, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
I'm glad we got that settled. But yes "fruitcake" refers to someone who is crazy aka nutty aka he's "nuttier than a fruitcake" I've never heard a gay person referred to as a fruitcake but have heard at least somewhere described as a fruit.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:20:20 PM by partgypsy »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2064 on: May 26, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
Reuters: Twitter fact-checks Trump tweet for the first time

Predictably,

Trump lashed out at the company in response, accusing it - in a tweet - of interfering in the 2020 presidential election. “Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!” he said.

Flail away, spoiled Oompa-Loompa toddler. The so-called “leader of the free world,” throwing yet another public tantrum. Is America great yet?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:30:35 PM by OtherJen »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2065 on: May 26, 2020, 09:24:45 PM »

Predictably,

Trump lashed out at the company in response, accusing it - in a tweet - of interfering in the 2020 presidential election. “Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!” he said.

Flail away, spoiled Oompa-Loompa toddler. The so-called “leader of the free world,” throwing yet another public tantrum. Is America great yet?

Ha. Twitter should fact-check that tweet.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2066 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:53 AM »

Predictably,

Just remember a portion of the country thought Trump's behavior and qualities would make a god leader.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2067 on: May 27, 2020, 05:37:17 AM »
Just remember a portion of the country thought Trump's behavior and qualities would make a god leader.
I cannot decide if that is a typing error or a correct description.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2068 on: May 27, 2020, 06:11:50 AM »

I know we are going OT but to me fruitcake is still a nut case.  Because good fruitcakes have got nuts in them?  I won't miss this subversion as much as I miss gay, because there really is no one word replacement for the 40s/50s meaning of gay.
What about jolly, from the french jolie?

Sort of, not really.  Gay was so lighthearted.  Can you replace it with jolly in this song?  Ignoring the mess it makes of scansion, just thinking of meaning.

I'm as trite and as gay as a daisy in May,
A cliche coming true!
I'm bromidic and bright
As a moon-happy night
Pouring light on the dew!

And the new meaning of gay definitely doesn't work in this song, considering she is proclaiming her love for a man.  Anyone not knowing the original meaning would be so confused by this song.  ;-)  And yes, I have the vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:13:46 AM by RetiredAt63 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2069 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:13 AM »

Predictably,

And still thinks so.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2070 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:26 AM »
I cannot decide if that is a typing error or a correct description.
Pun intended ( ;

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2071 on: May 27, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
I'm glad we got that settled. But yes "fruitcake" refers to someone who is crazy aka nutty aka he's "nuttier than a fruitcake" I've never heard a gay person referred to as a fruitcake but have heard at least somewhere described as a fruit.

I always preferred fruitloop to describe an idiot. Avoids the gay slur connotation but still gets the point across (at least I hope so).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2072 on: May 27, 2020, 06:44:42 AM »

Predictably,

And he’s doubling down. Reuters: Trump threatens to shutter social media companies after Twitter warning

Also predictably,

Trump, without offering any evidence, reiterated his accusations of political bias by such technology platforms, tweeting: “Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

Translation: “Waaaaah, I don’t like hearing the truth so you’re MEAN. I’m going to break your toys and go home!”

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2073 on: May 27, 2020, 07:04:48 AM »

Predictably,

And he’s doubling down. Reuters: Trump threatens to shutter social media companies after Twitter warning

Also predictably,

Trump, without offering any evidence, reiterated his accusations of political bias by such technology platforms, tweeting: “Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

Translation: “Waaaaah, I don’t like hearing the truth so you’re MEAN. I’m going to break your toys and go home!”

Republican definition of "free speech": "No one is allowed to point out our lies, and if they do we'll use the GOVERNMENT to SHUT THEM DOWN!"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2074 on: May 27, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »
Interesting take on the 'Biden wore a mask / Trump refuses'.

Wearing a mask is about personal responsibility.  It's primary function is to protect others.  Given that we lack good contact tracing and this virus results in a whole lot of asymptomatic spreaders wearing a mask continues to be a central tenant of limiting the spread in public.

Mask-wearing in public has bizarrely become an issue split among party lines.  Republicans - who once claimed to be the party of self-responsibility - have instead adopted the reactionary position.  Now wearing a mask is viewed by many as an infringement on their personal freedom, regardless of whether it helps save lives and requires a paltry amount of 'sacrifice' (temporary and minor discomfort).

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2075 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:47 AM »

Wearing a mask is about personal responsibility.  It's primary function is to protect others.  Given that we lack good contact tracing and this virus results in a whole lot of asymptomatic spreaders wearing a mask continues to be a central tenant of limiting the spread in public.

Mask-wearing in public has bizarrely become an issue split among party lines.  Republicans - who once claimed to be the party of self-responsibility - have instead adopted the reactionary position.  Now wearing a mask is viewed by many as an infringement on their personal freedom, regardless of whether it helps save lives and requires a paltry amount of 'sacrifice' (temporary and minor discomfort).

Republican personal responsibility always meant take care of yourself and everyone else be damned.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2076 on: May 27, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »

It makes perfect sense.

Helping others is a communist idea.  Good little capitalists stab others in the throat and then walk over their burbling bodies if it gets them one ahead in the queue.  It's what the free market dictates.  A capitalist never sacrifices anything for anyone else.  You're not a dirty commie are you?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2077 on: May 27, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »

Of course Trump knows how to skirt libel laws (and many others laws) by coming this close to saying something, but not actually saying it. His favorite "go to" is "a lot of people are saying..." See, Trump didn't say it, "a lot of people" did, and Trump's just stating that. Or inviting "law enforcement to look into it" without flat-out stating "Joe Scarborough committed murder."

As far as inciting some crazy person to play vigilante at Joe Scarborough or Mika B., even though neither one of them could have had anything to do with the young woman's death --- yup, Trump's a pro at that, too.

It's truly remarkable that the President of the United States can make this accusation, and yet it's so unimportant. It really shows how Trump has changed the office.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2078 on: May 27, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »

But yes "fruitcake" refers to someone who is crazy aka nutty aka he's "nuttier than a fruitcake." I've never heard a gay person referred to as a fruitcake but have heard at least somewhere described as a fruit.

+1

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2079 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »

I always preferred fruitloop to describe an idiot. Avoids the gay slur connotation but still gets the point across (at least I hope so).
I've heard the term "fruitloop" used in a derogatory anti-gay context.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2080 on: May 27, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »

Huh. I’ve never been aware that either “fruitcake” or “fruit loop” was an anti-gay slur.

“Fruit,” yes, but I haven’t heard that since like 1980.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2081 on: May 27, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »

Huh. I’ve never been aware that either “fruitcake” or “fruit loop” was an anti-gay slur.

In cockney rhyming slang 'fruit' mean your mate - fruit gum = chum.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2082 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
It's truly remarkable that the President of the United States can make this accusation, and yet it's so unimportant. It really shows how Trump has changed the office.
The madness of King George III and the mourning period of Victoria created periods of great advancement in British democracy. A weakened executive leads to a strengthened legislative and people. Welcome it! DRUMPF 2024!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2083 on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:45 AM »
@Kyle Schuant , many principled conservatives were predicting that the Trump Presidency would lead to a strengthened legislative branch. But then Democrats won the House majority, and Bill Barr re-appeared with his theory of the "unitary executive", and I'm not hearing about that much anymore. It feels like conservatives support more power going to whichever branches of government they control, which I don't think is conservative at all.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2084 on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
@Kyle Schuant , many principled conservatives were predicting that the Trump Presidency would lead to a strengthened legislative branch. But then Democrats won the House majority, and Bill Barr re-appeared with his theory of the "unitary executive", and I'm not hearing about that much anymore. It feels like conservatives support more power going to whichever branches of government they control, which I don't think is conservative at all.

Republicans support more power for themselves by any means necessary. That party has not been conservative for a long time.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2085 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:00 AM »
many principled conservatives were predicting that the Trump Presidency would lead to a strengthened legislative branch. But -
It's a process. Britain didn't go from an absolute monarch to responsible government in a few months. One day you may have a democracy. Drumpf is doing you a great service by helping it along.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2086 on: May 28, 2020, 08:48:46 AM »
Trump is planning an executive order against social media companies and specifically Twitter. He wants to make it easier to sue under the CDC due to bias.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/trump-twitter-social-media-executive-order/index.html

In a regularly functioning US, this would be a non-starter. The FTC is independent but we saw how that worked with the Feds; the CDC is a law but executive orders are the new laws and can alter laws on a whim; and there is no censorship but the courts might favor Trump's interpretation of "censorship."

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2087 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:15 AM »

Same. I use "fruitloop" a lot, mostly to refer to my cats when they are acting crazy.  I always picture the cereal when I picture anything particular associated with that term at all.  Certainly not gay people.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2088 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

Same. I use "fruitloop" a lot, mostly to refer to my cats when they are acting crazy.  I always picture the cereal when I picture anything particular associated with that term at all.  Certainly not gay people.
We can say anything you like to cats if they are the only people hearing (I do to my dog) but our language is in the ear of the hearer and the fact that someone doesn't know or mean or intend offence doesn't mean that offence isn't caused.  I for one will be avoiding any fruit-based references from now on.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #2089 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
Welp, Trump retweeted a cowboy who stated "I've come to the conclusion that the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat" to much cheering and applause. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=20

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2090 on: May 28, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »
Meh, just a little incitement by the President of the United States to the murder of ordinary citizens of the opposite political party. Big deal, inciting murder never hurt anyone. Oh, wait...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2091 on: May 28, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Welp, Trump retweeted a cowboy who stated "I've come to the conclusion that the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat" to much cheering and applause. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=20
Just business as usual in the Trump party.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2092 on: May 28, 2020, 11:54:48 AM »

After all, it's the party of *giggle* personal responsibility.

lol

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2093 on: May 28, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

After all, it's the party of *giggle* personal responsibility.

lol

Oh...and fiscal responsibility! And conservatism! And family values! lmao

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2094 on: May 28, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »
Maybe Twitter should freeze the RealDonaldTrump account for a few weeks.   Inciting homicide.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2095 on: May 28, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »
Maybe Twitter should freeze the RealDonaldTrump account for a few weeks.   Inciting homicide.
Demicide, more precisely.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2096 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Just so we are all aware, the President just threatened to send in the military to unconstitutionally murder citizens suspected of committing property crimes.

"When the looting starts, the shooting starts" is a phrase famously coined by Police Chief Walter Headley during the 60s race riots. He also famously said "We don't mind being accused of police brutality. They havn't seen anything yet."

The same man who was Chief when two of his officers stripped a 17-year old black kid to his underwear and dangled him by the heels from an overpass because he "abused them with sarcasm" when they found he was carrying a knife during a "routine shakedown". After public outrage he fired them, but did not press charges.

Republicans rate Trump as the Best President of All Time. And at the beginning of the month had an in-party approval rating of 92%, which is among the highest for any president ever.

Trump is the closest thing that Republicans have ever found to the living, beating heart of the Republican party, and they adore him for it. Remember it in November.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:22:17 AM by sherr »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2097 on: May 29, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
So, Trump and the White House are soon going to restrict and deny entry to H-1B (highly skilled worker) visas.
How exactly is this  supposed to help US businesses, our universities and research, and general American economy? How is this anything other than straight up racist?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/05/28/high-skill-immigration-restrictions-expected-soon-from-trump/#65ba77e16a89

Here is Trump saying we need more immigrants to this country, and he welcomes legal immigrants, just not immigrants entering illegally. Yet his admin seems to be doing everything in their power to stop legal immigration as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/06/immigration-trump-says-he-wants-more-legal-migrants-u-s/2792732002/

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2098 on: May 29, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
So, Trump and the White House are soon going to restrict and deny entry to H-1B (highly skilled worker) visas.
How is this anything other than straight up racist?
Because it says nothing about race.  One could call it "nationalist."

Whether it is a good idea is a different question.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2099 on: May 29, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »
How is this anything other than straight up racist?
Because it says nothing about race.  One could call it "nationalist."

Whether it is a good idea is a different question.

Yeah, I tend to agree. We know that Trump favors people from Nordic countries but this is more of a "they're taking our jobs" decision.*

It appeals to a certain segment of his base but corporations won't like it. The GOP is leaning away from being a business party, though, and more towards being a nationalist and rural party.

* But there's no doubt that excluding colored people is a bonus in Miller's eyes.