Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779013 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #1500 on: April 15, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Tall texan: the taxes are lower because they are were rich in oil.

Apart from that, unsure.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1501 on: April 15, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
(about the oil) Ouch!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1502 on: April 15, 2020, 01:28:11 PM »
US is canada's neighbor to the south (exact same conditions)

Their population is 10x ours, and somehow have more than 20x our cases, and more than 20x our deaths, and it continues to separate even more.

One huge discrepancy is in testing. Canada has testing rate is half again as high as the US

Another is in population density. Canada doesn't have anything that compares to NYC. Given the weather, they probably don't have any Feb/March festivals that compare to Marid Gras or Spring Break...

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto all have very dense urban centers.  Certainly not as populated or even as dense as NYC, but still among the most densly populated cities in NA. 
Feb/March festivals?  QUebec's got Carnival.  Ottawa has Winterlude.  Basically Mardi Gras up north.   Both draw tens of thousands of tourists into a few city blocks and last for weeks.  In fact, Carnival is being blamed for why Quebec has among the highest rates of Covid in Canada.  Montreal has a huge St Patricks day parade (second only to NYC's in age and size)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1503 on: April 15, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
US is canada's neighbor to the south (exact same conditions)

Their population is 10x ours, and somehow have more than 20x our cases, and more than 20x our deaths, and it continues to separate even more.

One huge discrepancy is in testing. Canada has testing rate is half again as high as the US

Another is in population density. Canada doesn't have anything that compares to NYC. Given the weather, they probably don't have any Feb/March festivals that compare to Marid Gras or Spring Break...

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto all have very dense urban centers.  Certainly not as populated or even as dense as NYC, but still among the most densly populated cities in NA. 
Feb/March festivals?  QUebec's got Carnival.  Ottawa has Winterlude.  Basically Mardi Gras up north.   Both draw tens of thousands of tourists into a few city blocks and last for weeks.  In fact, Carnival is being blamed for why Quebec has among the highest rates of Covid in Canada.  Montreal has a huge St Patricks day parade (second only to NYC's in age and size)

And spring break, when parents and kids tired of winter go to Disney.

Plus Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver also have international airports.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1505 on: April 15, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »
So to recap, Trump has recently:

-Signed into law a law which explicitly included provisions for Congress to have oversight into how the administration spends a stimulus slush fund. Trump signed it with a signing statement basically saying, I won't obey the provisions requiring Congressional oversight.

-Fired Glenn Fine, the inspector general who was to oversee his administration's management of the stimulus funds

-Fired Michael Atkinson, the inspector general who notified Congress of the whistleblower complaint that led to Trump's impeachment, and openly acknowledged that the reporting of the whistleblower complaint was the reason for Atkinson's firing

-Has threatened to veto any bill that funds the postal service, while openly talking about how mail-in voting hurts Republicans' chances of being elected

-Is now threatening to adjourn Congress, an action no US president has taken

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1506 on: April 16, 2020, 12:36:50 AM »

And McConnell would most likely let him do it since he handed him the keys to the Republican Congress on Day 1.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1507 on: April 16, 2020, 04:27:35 AM »
Tall texan: the taxes are lower because they are rich in oil.

Apart from that, unsure.
The US is the biggest oil producing country in the world.
Canada barely manages 3 times per head as the US.

Not exactly Trump, but Trump&Friends:

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/11/republican-poll-watchers-vote-by-mail-voter-fraud/
CONSERVATIVE OPERATIVES FLOAT PLAN TO PLACE RETIRED MILITARY, POLICE OFFICERS AS GOP POLL WATCHERS ON ELECTION DAY

TL,DR:

Republicans astroturfing to promote "Intimidate and harass people that mostly vote Democratic and prevent mail voting".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:48:31 AM by LennStar »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1508 on: April 16, 2020, 06:04:50 AM »
We were talking about the western provinces of canada and oil.

They are much more sparsely populated (comparatively), so the amount of oil means that their taxes are much lower than every other province.

In US terms, it would be like Texas being the only state with oil, and them deciding to not tax much (less than 1/4 the other states) because they get so much revenue from wells/shale.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1509 on: April 16, 2020, 06:13:48 AM »
Indeed, Texas is one of a handful of states with no state income tax. There is oil in Texas, but there is also a culture of minimal social services. Their legislature only meets in session every second year.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1510 on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Not a Trump outrage per se, but one from his mouthpiece:  Kellyanne thinks that there were 18 previous COVIDS:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/this-is-covid-19-not-covid-1-folks-kellyanne-conway-mistakenly-suggests-name-of-virus-means-multiple-versions/ar-BB12IQkZ

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1511 on: April 16, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
Not a Trump outrage per se, but one from his mouthpiece:  Kellyanne thinks that there were 18 previous COVIDS:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/this-is-covid-19-not-covid-1-folks-kellyanne-conway-mistakenly-suggests-name-of-virus-means-multiple-versions/ar-BB12IQkZ
The first 18 occurred during the Bowling Green massacre. And those are absolutely alternative facts!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: April 16, 2020, 03:25:37 PM »

-Signed into law a law which explicitly included provisions for Congress to have oversight into how the administration spends a stimulus slush fund. Trump signed it with a signing statement basically saying, I won't obey the provisions requiring Congressional oversight.

-Fired Glenn Fine, the inspector general who was to oversee his administration's management of the stimulus funds

-Fired Michael Atkinson, the inspector general who notified Congress of the whistleblower complaint that led to Trump's impeachment, and openly acknowledged that the reporting of the whistleblower complaint was the reason for Atkinson's firing

-Has threatened to veto any bill that funds the postal service, while openly talking about how mail-in voting hurts Republicans' chances of being elected

Realize I'm pissing in the mainstream in this thread, but I don't understand why liberals/media waste so much time and energy being "omg outrage!" at trump's statements like these? The guy is a severely brain damaged moron, who says whatever pops into his head, and believe whatever the last person told him. He's too spineless to really "mean" anything, and has no coherent policy or goals. I avoid hearing what he says at all costs, and it's definitely a waste of mental energy being angry about what he says.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1513 on: April 16, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »

Realize I'm pissing in the mainstream in this thread, but I don't understand why liberals/media waste so much time and energy being "omg outrage!" at trump's statements like these? The guy is a severely brain damaged moron, who says whatever pops into his head, and believe whatever the last person told him. He's too spineless to really "mean" anything, and has no coherent policy or goals. I avoid hearing what he says at all costs, and it's definitely a waste of mental energy being angry about what he says.

I mean, most of these things are actually actions with implications, not just words?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1514 on: April 16, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »

because he seems to do the crazy things when he doesn't get enough blow-back.

like cutting funding for the group that tries to prevent pandemics... during a pandemic.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: April 16, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »

like cutting funding for the group that tries to prevent pandemics... during a pandemic.

Uhm, and outrage coverage has prevented him from doing stupid things when? He craves attention, and loves angering his opponents. His presidency, and the reason his stupid hog fans voted for him was to "trigger the libs". They know he's screwing them over, but love him because he make liberals mad. So I'm pretty sure it will do nothing to stop him.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1516 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »

Uhm, and outrage coverage has prevented him from doing stupid things when? He craves attention, and loves angering his opponents. His presidency, and the reason his stupid hog fans voted for him was to "trigger the libs". They know he's screwing them over, but love him because he make liberals mad. So I'm pretty sure it will do nothing to stop him.

Whats the other option? Ignore him and hope he gets better?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1517 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
I mean, most of these things are actually actions with implications, not just words?

Sure, some administrative idiocy, but that's to be expected. And will just have to be cleaned up later. Fired this or that person; whatever. He's a corrupt idiot, we knew that already. Don't need any whistle-blowers.. And corruption would happen regardless, it always does.

But there are actually people worked up about trump saying he has "absolute authority", or even calling himself king! Lol! So what, stop listing to this dolt! 

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1518 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »

sure. all he wants is attention. Couldn't work any worse that what's going on now..

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1519 on: April 16, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »

sure. all he wants is attention. Couldn't work any worse that what's going on now..

I'll take that bet.10$ charity bet to the charity of the winner's choice. If he remains the same, you win, if he gets worse I win :D

(I'm curious as to what happens the moment next election is over: Does he A) Stop giving a shit because he lost, but is still president for three months, or B)Not give a shit anymore because he won, and there is no third term allowed)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1520 on: April 16, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »

I'll take that bet.10$ charity bet to the charity of the winner's choice. If he remains the same, you win, if he gets worse I win :D

(I'm curious as to what happens the moment next election is over: Does he A) Stop giving a shit because he lost, but is still president for three months, or B)Not give a shit anymore because he won, and there is no third term allowed)
Either way, there is going to be a lot of clemency and sentence commutation. Flynn, Stone, Manfort, etc...

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1521 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »

You think he gives a shit now?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1522 on: April 16, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »

There have been a number of times when blowback has forced him to walk back comments and actions, but usually when the reaction is strong enough to elicit a response from more than just the Never Trump crowd.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1523 on: April 16, 2020, 05:22:15 PM »

You think he gives a shit now?

Yup. I'm awaiting much more impressive stuff to come.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1524 on: April 16, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »

There have been a number of times when blowback has forced him to walk back comments and actions, but usually when the reaction is strong enough to elicit a response from more than just the Never Trump crowd.
Like I said I try to avoid hearing much about what he says or does, for the sake of my mental health. But doesn't seem like he got much better in the last few years,rather the opposite..

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1525 on: April 17, 2020, 06:31:26 AM »

Trump (and Conway and Giuliani) say these outrageous and contradictory things to win the news cycle. They recognize that the total volume of collective attention is limited, so they shift it to these outrages and away from other things.

Right now, Trump is successfully shifting attention away from the fact that he failed to prepare our country for this properly during Jan and Feb (as was reported in the NY Times). All of these outrageous statements--like about having unlimited authority and a great plan to reopen the economy, when he clearly has none--shift attention away from a thing that is actually damaging to something that will be quickly forgotten.

So, you're right. We (individually) can ignore them, but we (collectively) cannot withstand the damage because our (collective) attention is what builds consensus for collective public solutions.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1526 on: April 17, 2020, 06:42:18 AM »

Right now, Trump is successfully shifting attention away from the fact that he failed to prepare our country for this properly during Jan and Feb (as was reported in the NY Times). All of these outrageous statements--like about having unlimited authority and a great plan to reopen the economy, when he clearly has none--shift attention away from a thing that is actually damaging to something that will be quickly forgotten.

Anyone else notice how absurd it was that on Wednesday Trump was declaring to have absolute authority and would force governors to comply with orders to reopen the economy, and then on Thursday he essentially said: It's up to the governors, our plan is just a guideline... ?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1527 on: April 17, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
Indeed it was a logical absurdity.

It was media savvy.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1528 on: April 17, 2020, 07:19:41 AM »

Trump (and Conway and Giuliani) say these outrageous and contradictory things to win the news cycle. They recognize that the total volume of collective attention is limited, so they shift it to these outrages and away from other things.

So, you're right. We (individually) can ignore them, but we (collectively) cannot withstand the damage because our (collective) attention is what builds consensus for collective public solutions.
Exactly. Trump is obviously a dullard, but he is able to understand when his corruption or incompetence comes too far into the open so his room-temperature IQ base supporters might start to notice (though they never really care). Then he'll distract by freaking out the liberal media with something outrageous, fox et al jumps to his defense, and he gets to play the victim with how "unfairly" he's treated. Of course he's too spineless to actually sell Rhode island to pay for the wall or whatever, but by the time MSNBC has spent three days with legal scholars seriously discussing it, and how this is the end of democracy, nobody remember the now-minor corruption scandal. And repeat.

You'd think that after nearly 5 years the media would be tired of being played like this, but I guess if it gets ratings they don't care.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1529 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:46 AM »
Movie theaters, sports venues and places of worship should be the first things to reopen...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1530 on: April 17, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
Indeed it was a logical absurdity.

It was media savvy.

A common narrative is that Trump has somehow 'mastered' the news cycle by dominating the news cycle saying one controversial or uninformed thing after another.  I don't think this is truly the case.  Yes, he can keep everyone talking about the latest outrageous thing he has said, but it has cost him - dearly - in building broadscale support. His support levels keep reverting to ~42%, even during the most favorable of circumstances... a roaring market rising wages and a big tax cut.  When tragedies/national-emergencies hit the normal bump ("rally around the flag") has been noticeably tiny and short-lived.

I think his constant bombardment of insane asnd inept things DOES draw suck all the air out of the room, but its a short term gain for the WH but a long-term and additive loss for him as well.  We got a glimpse of the consequences during the 2018 "blue tidal wave", which wound up being one of the largest changes ever, despite some of the best economic conditions and favorable business regulations we had seen.

The 2020 election is going to get much uglier, but to me he has always seemed extremely vulnerable (based largely on polling and the previous election) even when conditions should have made it a cakewalk. The GOP will spend record amounts to defend an incumbent... most likely far more than in any other election in history.  Down-ballot races are similarly competitive even in districts where they ought not to be.

Don't underestimate the long-term consequences of people being so disgusted of all the outrageous s**t he says on a daily basis.  It might saturate the airwaves and suck out all the oxygen and divert from other scandals, but it's still a net-negative for them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1531 on: April 17, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »
Movie theaters, sports venues and places of worship should be the first things to reopen...
Is this a quote from Trump, or your own thoughts, or dark humor?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1532 on: April 17, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »
Apparently the Trumpster posted a false claim about Nanci Pelosi deleting a Twitter post encouraging people to visit Chinatown.  The 'post' is actually local news coverage from San Francisco before the lockdown, probably similar to what was going on in Houston in February when there were no known cases and yet people were refusing to eat at Asian restaurants.  And, of course, there is no evidence that Pelosi posted the video to Twitter. 

So Trump is so desperate to make 'lost February' look better that he is trolling the politicians he most needs to bring together?  What's next, a video with Schumer's face cropped over the 'spring break' party dude?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:55:30 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1533 on: April 17, 2020, 08:00:35 AM »
Regarding Trump's laughable idea to open the border with Canada:

Hospitals in Canada are not overwhelmed to the same degree as what is seen in the States. That, to me, is the most significant difference. Canada is doing a far better job at managing the outbreak since it can't be contained easily at this point regardless of levels of testing.

Admittedly our ability to take care of residents of long-term care homes has been a shit show.

I live in a province where we have no evidence of community transmission despite plenty of testing and all of our 26 cases were either from international or interprovincial travel. All of these people followed the 14-day self-isolation edicts. Not one of our cases has required hospitalization and all but three have recovered. Where I live is also a tourist destination. Plenty of Americans spend at least part of the summer here.

I hope Trudeau keeps the border shut. On March 13 while Trump was declaring a national day of prayer, Trudeau said his decisions would be determined by science. I was grateful for that. And don't get me started on the "Democrat Hoax" denial.

I feel bad for Americans who have had to deal with chaotic "leadership" during this time and when I see those idiot protestors demanding that the US stop with the social distancing measures, I think, "Wow. Perfect example of Idiocracy in action." The last thing we need is for our border open to American citizens.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1534 on: April 17, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
I cannot help but feel like Canada has stayed on top of this better because summer is precious there, and Canadians sure as fuck don't want to lose it. All seven weeks.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1535 on: April 17, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
I cannot help but feel like Canada has stayed on top of this better because summer is precious there, and Canadians sure as fuck don't want to lose it. All seven weeks.

low blow @talltexan.  We get a full TEN weeks of summer in Quebec, and loooong days,
Fall is absurdly beautiful here, too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1536 on: April 17, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »

We're getting seven weeks this year????

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1537 on: April 17, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »

We're getting seven weeks this year????
Global warming - it ain't all bad.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1538 on: April 17, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
I don't live in Texas anymore, but a 100-degree day (39 Celsius) is possible in any of the months April through October. So seven month summer.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1539 on: April 17, 2020, 10:25:46 AM »
I don't live in Texas anymore, but a 100-degree day (39 Celsius) is possible in any of the months April through October. So seven month summer.

39C is not summer, it is inferno.  Or sauna if you have high humidity.

We had flurries yesterday and today. That's spring.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #1540 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
..idiot protestors demanding that the US stop with the social distancing measures, I think, "Wow. Perfect example of Idiocracy in action." ..

if I'm really evil, i would hope the virus kills all these fu.kers

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1541 on: April 17, 2020, 10:59:58 AM »
On Trump outrage and the rural-urban divide, this was a pretty interesting read. Not ready to just take it at face value, but an interesting take.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/covid-trump-pandemic/610075/

Certainly jives with the MI protests and reopening fiascos.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1542 on: April 17, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
On Trump outrage and the rural-urban divide, this was a pretty interesting read. Not ready to just take it at face value, but an interesting take.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/covid-trump-pandemic/610075/

Certainly jives with the MI protests and reopening fiascos.

If AZ flipped, it would really pull out the conspiracy theorists.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1543 on: April 17, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »

Those are specifically mentioned as stage one openings on the official White House document.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1544 on: April 17, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

Those are specifically mentioned as stage one openings on the official White House document.
Why not just add clown cars to the list for good measure? Jeebus.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1545 on: April 17, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »

Sounds like they're trolling people.  Object to the absurdity of prioritizing entertainment venues and they'll counter with: Those Godless Libs want to keep centers of worship closed!

I'd have to be paid a substantial amount of money to sit in a theatre or stadium for several hours with a bunch of untested strangers.  And even then I'm wearing a full biosuit and respirator.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1546 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
Cherry-picking from the phase one recommendations for employers from the document:

"LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of
worship) can operate under strict physical distancing protocols."

Seems to contradict this one from same list:

"SCHOOLS AND ORGANIZED YOUTH ACTIVITIES (e.g., daycare, camp) that are
currently closed should remain closed. "

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1547 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »

Sounds like they're trolling people.  Object to the absurdity of prioritizing entertainment venues and they'll counter with: Those Godless Libs want to keep centers of worship closed!

I'd have to be paid a substantial amount of money to sit in a theatre or stadium for several hours with a bunch of untested strangers.  And even then I'm wearing a full biosuit and respirator.

The first covid cluster traced to a crowded stadium will shut them down again.

Look what happened at Smithfield Foods in South Dakota. The owners found out that being in a conservative state is not a vaccine (or they didn't care because profit>employee health).

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1548 on: April 17, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »
I actually think what they are trying to say with that one is "locations large enough to physically separate people sufficiently should re-open and do that strict physical separation in place".

Notice they are also included in phase 2:
"LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of
worship) can operate under moderate physical distancing protocols."

Phase 3:
"LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places
of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1549 on: April 17, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
I actually think what they are trying to say with that one is "locations large enough to physically separate people sufficiently should re-open and do that strict physical separation in place".
[snip]

Possibly, but in practice it's so absurd to be un-implimentable.

Consider a sports stadium.  In a modern sports arena the seats are about 20" wide, and each aisle is about 3' apart.  That basically means for each section you have have three (possibly four) empty seats between each person in a row, and two out of every three rows will be empty.  if a section holds 200 people (ten rows of 20 seats) you're fitting 12-15 people in a space designed for 200.  Some geometric modeler can probably squeeze 20 in there by staggering people amongst rows, but we're still talking ~10% of capacity.  Then there's the whole problem of people needing to pee... how do you ensure seperation when the stairways are so narrow that you have to decide "ass or crotch" each time you pass over another patron to exit your row.  Think of how incredibly annoying it would be to sit in the nosebleeds when there are several thousand empty seats at field level.

I'm aware that many stadiums and theatres already have showings with this few people, but those aren't profitable.  Businesses need high capacity events to pay the bills.