Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 505360 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #7200 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »
A Trump cultist is starting to question her beliefs:

Lorraine went on to say that in the coming days, “we’re gonna know for sure — is Trump really the 5-D master chess player who is gonna just totally decimate the swamp and arrest all these deep state operatives, and everything we’ve seen up until now was just a massive — you know, all these brilliant chess moves … Is justice finally gonna be served? Are we finally gonna see that checkmate? Are we finally gonna see the traps closed? Or, we’re not. Or we’re gonna find out the truth. Maybe things failed. Maybe the QAnon operation wasn’t real. Maybe some things weren’t really the truth.”

https://deadstate.org/trump-cultist-starts-to-wonder-if-pro-trump-conspiracy-theories-are-fake-maybe-qanon-isnt-real/

Reality crashes down.

I'd love to see a debriefing from a few of these people.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7201 on: January 19, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »

I would like to think we have a system that has held together.

I assure you America has held together.

Tomorrow Biden will be inaugurated the 46th president of the United States according to constitutional methodology.

The nation's governmental architecture of checks and balances, dispersion of power, judicial review, and other revered institutions functioned as  the Founders and the Framers planned.

The United States of America will never be undone by an aberrant leader or institutional abnormalities.

I really doubt that. The system didn't survive two elections before it had to be amended!  They didn't plan on political parties taking over the elections and they didn't plan on us reaching a point where a handful of people could potentially say "I don't feel like signing off on these results." Lucky for us we didn't get to find out what happens after that. Next time we might not be so lucky. The gentleman in Pennsylvania who put his foot down and certified his state is being replaced.  Various governors, secretaries of state, and courts did their jobs, but a lot of legislatures, election boards, and a significant chunk of Congress looked real hard for any loopholes or places where they could interrupt the process.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7202 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
I have to imagine that that is why Trump seems to have some trepidation around pardoning himself or his children. His children would not have 5th amendment protections from tattling on their father. So even if Trump pardons his children, there's a potential for them to run into obstruction charges if they don't out their father.

Trump on the other hand has to see a self-pardon as a dangerous thing as well. It would basically be an admission of guilt. So he would end up having a whole slew of Civil cases opened up against him and likely would lose a lot of money. And then at the end of it, it likely wouldn't even be upheld. If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.

The "pardoned people don't have 5th amendment protections" thing is blown a bit out of proportion.  Because of our federalist system, the same one the same people are excited to know that anyone pardoned by Trump is only getting out of federal crimes and not state crimes, and the strength of 5th amendment protections in our jurisprudence, it's likely that Trump children who were pardoned would still maintain 5th amendment protections for nearly everything because of their potential vulnerability to legal action at the state level.  I have heard many smart legal scholars opine that attempts to invoke the 5th Amendment by these parties would be likely to be successful in just about any court.

Well, it looks like Trump has been convinced not to pardon GOP members, himself, or his children. Looks like at least the GOP lawyers see it as a likely outcome that he would be legally vulnerable. (But my guess is that it would likely end up hurting him financially.)

He still has about 12 hours. We'll see tomorrow.

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7203 on: January 19, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
I have to imagine that that is why Trump seems to have some trepidation around pardoning himself or his children. His children would not have 5th amendment protections from tattling on their father. So even if Trump pardons his children, there's a potential for them to run into obstruction charges if they don't out their father.

Trump on the other hand has to see a self-pardon as a dangerous thing as well. It would basically be an admission of guilt. So he would end up having a whole slew of Civil cases opened up against him and likely would lose a lot of money. And then at the end of it, it likely wouldn't even be upheld. If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.

The "pardoned people don't have 5th amendment protections" thing is blown a bit out of proportion.  Because of our federalist system, the same one the same people are excited to know that anyone pardoned by Trump is only getting out of federal crimes and not state crimes, and the strength of 5th amendment protections in our jurisprudence, it's likely that Trump children who were pardoned would still maintain 5th amendment protections for nearly everything because of their potential vulnerability to legal action at the state level.  I have heard many smart legal scholars opine that attempts to invoke the 5th Amendment by these parties would be likely to be successful in just about any court.

Well, it looks like Trump has been convinced not to pardon GOP members, himself, or his children. Looks like at least the GOP lawyers see it as a likely outcome that he would be legally vulnerable. (But my guess is that it would likely end up hurting him financially.)

Yep. The same thing I read that says he was reconsidering these high profile pardons said we'd get the news today. So now I guess he'll either dump them in time to try to divert attention from the inauguration, or to try to slip them under the radar. He wins either way.  Still possible it won't include the incendiary ones, but I don't trust him. 

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Bristles
« Reply #7204 on: January 19, 2021, 08:49:30 PM »
Trump's "America first" rhetoric leaves me cold.

I cannot fathom any political movement or party that would subscribe to patriotism or nationalism as a founding principle (nb I am aware this is most parties). It just seems so...old school, and pig-headed. Kind of like organising your classroom syllabus based on what football team you follow.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #7205 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »

Yep. The same thing I read that says he was reconsidering these high profile pardons said we'd get the news today. So now I guess he'll either dump them in time to try to divert attention from the inauguration, or to try to slip them under the radar. He wins either way.  Still possible it won't include the incendiary ones, but I don't trust him.

... And so the soiree begins. Trump just pardoned Bannon, who hasn't even gone to court yet.

OzzieandHarriet

• Bristles
« Reply #7206 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:46 PM »

... And so the soiree begins. Trump just pardoned Bannon, who hasn't even gone to court yet.

Guaranteed most of these people he’s pardoning will get in trouble for something else soon enough.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7208 on: January 20, 2021, 12:14:27 AM »
A Trump cultist is starting to question her beliefs:

Lorraine went on to say that in the coming days, “we’re gonna know for sure — is Trump really the 5-D master chess player who is gonna just totally decimate the swamp and arrest all these deep state operatives, and everything we’ve seen up until now was just a massive — you know, all these brilliant chess moves … Is justice finally gonna be served? Are we finally gonna see that checkmate? Are we finally gonna see the traps closed? Or, we’re not. Or we’re gonna find out the truth. Maybe things failed. Maybe the QAnon operation wasn’t real. Maybe some things weren’t really the truth.”

https://deadstate.org/trump-cultist-starts-to-wonder-if-pro-trump-conspiracy-theories-are-fake-maybe-qanon-isnt-real/
This is like that movie, inception where every level contains new thoughts and secrets. But in real life, it's just more stupidity and lies...

The list of pardons

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-executive-grants-clemency-012021/

I also saw Anthony Levandowski on the list, I was pretty surprised by that since he was sentenced this year because he stole files from his former employer (Google's Waymo), started his own company and let himself bought by Uber. Seems like the earlier posts that Rudi getting paid to arrange pardons might not have been that far off.
If I recall correctly, he's still got an active lawsuit basically claiming Uber Freight because they didn't uphold the indemnification agreement when they took him on.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7209 on: January 20, 2021, 12:14:58 AM »
Has Trump just started “The Patriot Party”?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7210 on: January 20, 2021, 05:53:30 AM »
Elliot Broidy is an interesting name on the pardons list - former Republican Party Finance chair and client of Michael Cohen who helped him pay off a woman he allegedly had an affair with, also someone who may have been helping the FBI with their enquiries into Trump.

There are quite a few names who look as though they are corrupt businessmen cronies of the Republican Party, but others who look like traditional and righteous cases for pardon.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7211 on: January 20, 2021, 06:03:20 AM »
Well, he commuted the sentence of disgraced former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who will now leave prison 20 years early.

Of course, this doesn't erase the guilty plea or his restitution debts. I'm not sure Trump did this guy a favor. It may have been done to flip the bird at Michigan, particularly Detroit.

Meanwhile, Kilpatrick is facing a mountain of debt when he gets out of prison — about $11 million, according to court records. His debts include:

$552,862 judgement for accepting private jet travel to Vegas, golf outings, Prince tickets and massages from an investor who was trying to close a $117-million deal with the city's pension funds.
$7.4-million judgement issued to a minority contractor who sued Kilpatrick and his convicted contractor friend Bobby Ferguson, claiming water contracts were unfairly steered to Ferguson.
$852,000 in restitution to the City of Detroit stemming from the text message scandal. His last payment was made in 2013 — the year of his federal conviction.
$1.5 million in restitution to the Detroit water department stemming from his 2013 federal conviction, which involved steering lucrative contracts to Ferguson, who got 21 years in prison for his crimes.
$195,000 to the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid taxes.

(Source: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2021/01/20/kwame-kilpatrick-pardoned-donald-trump-detroit-mayor/4217253001/)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7212 on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
Trump has left the White House on Marine One - perhaps for the last time ever.

This has been a very long four years.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7213 on: January 20, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »

His farewell speech was everything I expected it to be.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7214 on: January 20, 2021, 06:47:18 AM »
Soon we can replace our "doom-scrolling" with "glee-freshing".

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7215 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »

His farewell speech was everything I expected it to be.

It was more upbeat than I expected, and to his credit he did wish the incoming administration well (while pointedly saying he had set them up for success).  The normal Trump bluster about having accomplished "incredible things" that "no one thought possible."
Surprisingly the only mention of the election was about his 74MM votes (and nothing about Biden's 81MM), and only an oblique suggestion he might run again ("we'll be back in some form").

His comment that "no one worked harder" than he and his family in-Trumpspeak suggests he realizes he's been outworked by both previous and incoming administrations.
Frankly Trump seemed tired and almost...relieved?... to be leaving office.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7216 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
The list of pardons

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-executive-grants-clemency-012021/

As terrible a human being as Trump is . . . some of these pardons seem pretty reasonable.

Robert Francis – President Trump commuted the sentence of Robert Francis. Mr. Francis has served 18 years of a life sentence for non-violent drug conspiracy charges. Mr. Francis has a spotless disciplinary record in prison and has been active in his efforts toward rehabilitation. Upon release, Mr. Francis, a father of 3, will live with his sister in Houston, Texas.

Brian Simmons – President Trump commuted the sentence of Brian Simmons. Mr. Simmons has served 5 years of a 15 year sentence for a non-violent conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana. Mr. Simmons has had an exemplary prison record and upon release will have strong support from his fiancée and his community.

Derrick Smith – President Trump commuted the sentence of Derrick Smith. Mr. Smith is a 53 year-old who has served more than 20 years of a nearly 30 year sentence for distribution of drugs to a companion who passed away. Mr. Smith is deeply remorseful for his role in this tragic death and has had an exemplary record while incarcerated. Mr. Smith intends to secure a construction job, care for his mother and his son, and rebuild his relationship with his two other children.

etc. 

It's important to remember that when they're not done for bribes, presidential pardons do serve a purpose in the US justice system.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #7217 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:48 AM »

Cue applause and cheers... to be followed by a thoughtul and wary silence...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7218 on: January 20, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »
Elliot Broidy is an interesting name on the pardons list - former Republican Party Finance chair and client of Michael Cohen who helped him pay off a woman he allegedly had an affair with, also someone who may have been helping the FBI with their enquiries into Trump.

There are quite a few names who look as though they are corrupt businessmen cronies of the Republican Party, but others who look like traditional and righteous cases for pardon.

Revoked his ethics EO last night which means his administration can go back to a two year waiting period to be lobbyists instead of the five years the EO stipulated. He was highly critical of Clinton when he revoked his own ethics order and pointed out how much more righteous his was compared to Obama's.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7219 on: January 20, 2021, 06:59:28 AM »

I've said it before, but my biggest hope is that the incoming and future administrations are predictable, stable and boring. I don't want to read about the President's latest tweet-storm nor do I really want the WH press secretary or chief of staff to be newsworthy themselves.  When the President goes abroad I don't want to worry his/her conduct will spark an international outrage, and I want his trips summarized in the news in 2-3 sentences, max. 

Above all I want the executive branch to be run by career workers who are competent, dedicated to its mission and are given the leeway to run their department as they see fit. I don't want a micro-managing chief executive that fires via tweet and installs "acting heads" who have neither the experience nor good will of the employees they oversee. 

To that end I think Biden is doing everything right with setting up his administration.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7220 on: January 20, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »

Amen. And much as I love and admire our very own @arebelspy, I am so relieved his very early prediction of a second term did not come to pass. I have been background stressing about that since the first election. I am positive I could not have stood the shitshow that constantly surrounded the last administration for a second term. I hope I can stop holding my breath now. Everything cross-able is crossed for an uneventful transition today,
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:10:01 AM by Dicey »

Omy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7221 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:47 AM »
Does anybody know where Barron is? Is it an outrage not to bring your youngest child with you?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7222 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
Does anybody know where Barron is? Is it an outrage not to bring your youngest child with you?

If I had spent years whipping up an angry mob and then let them down, I would probably send my offspring ahead.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7223 on: January 20, 2021, 07:49:15 AM »

Barron was standing there next to all the other (adult) Trump children during his send-off speech.  The cameras showed a brief segment of him spinning around while a staffer attempted to pull him back in line.  No idea who he left with - probably his security detail and one of his siblings. He wasn't shown getting on Marine One (though to be fair it seems an unnecessary risk to put a child on board for what was probably a very short flight to Andrews AFB)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7224 on: January 20, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »

I've said it before, but my biggest hope is that the incoming and future administrations are predictable, stable and boring. I don't want to read about the President's latest tweet-storm nor do I really want the WH press secretary or chief of staff to be newsworthy themselves.  When the President goes abroad I don't want to worry his/her conduct will spark an international outrage, and I want his trips summarized in the news in 2-3 sentences, max. 

Above all I want the executive branch to be run by career workers who are competent, dedicated to its mission and are given the leeway to run their department as they see fit. I don't want a micro-managing chief executive that fires via tweet and installs "acting heads" who have neither the experience nor good will of the employees they oversee. 

To that end I think Biden is doing everything right with setting up his administration.

Hear, hear for boring.  Maria Butina's boyfriend Paul Erickson was also pardoned, I wonder if his and the Briody pardon are related to Trump's money & banking troubles.
I hope some state AG (or multiple) bring state charges against Bannon, the pardon was only for fed charges.   

rab-bit

• Stubble
« Reply #7225 on: January 20, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »
No offense to anyone here, but with Biden having just been sworn in, I'm looking forward to ignoring this thread from now on.

megaschnauzer

• Bristles
« Reply #7226 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
No offense to anyone here, but with Biden having just been sworn in, I'm looking forward to ignoring this thread from now on.

now on to the 'biden outrage of the day' thread

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7227 on: January 20, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
If he puts on a tan suit I'm fully prepared to fly to DC and join the protests. 

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #7228 on: January 20, 2021, 10:10:54 AM »

Hear, hear! I'm so looking forward to Trump's outrages sliding into the background and becoming irrelevant. I hope that's not just wishful thinking, given that he has received 100's of millions of dollars in donations supporting his bid for the Imperium.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #7229 on: January 20, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »

Don’t even get me started if Biden uses Dijon mustard! 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7230 on: January 20, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
Today is my birthday.  I can't think of anything I wanted more than a new president.  I have taken a half day and will be leaving work shortly, and will be celebrating heavily.  Cheers America.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7231 on: January 20, 2021, 10:25:51 AM »

God help us if he likes arugula.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #7232 on: January 20, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »

Biden has a Peloton bike. That raises issues at the White House.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7233 on: January 20, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »

Hear, hear! I'm so looking forward to Trump's outrages sliding into the background and becoming irrelevant. I hope that's not just wishful thinking, given that he has received 100's of millions of dollars in donations supporting his bid for the Imperium.

Y'all have an optimism I don't possess. 
I'd bet money that we're not past Trump doing something outrageous, and probably on fairly frequent basis.  He's still got hold of the conservative and right-wing media, he's got millions of rabid followers and - oh right! - an impeachment trial in the coming days.

Plus, now that he's "Private Citizen Trump" we'll be getting a steady drip-drip-drip of revelations from at least four major lawsuits which can now proceed.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7234 on: January 20, 2021, 10:51:16 AM »

Well, Obama had his Blackbarry: https://www.electrospaces.net/2013/04/how-obamas-blackberry-got-secured.html

Wonder what Trump had that the whitehouse didn't like? Oh yeah, Twitter...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7235 on: January 20, 2021, 10:53:13 AM »

I have confidence the NSA can find a solution.  Making the WH Gym a "non-secure" area where there is no classified material sounds like an obvious strategy (i.e. "sandboxing").

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7236 on: January 20, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »

I have confidence the NSA can find a solution.  Making the WH Gym a "non-secure" area where there is no classified material sounds like an obvious strategy (i.e. "sandboxing").

Michelle Obama had a custom made Peloton in the residence with the same concerns in mind.  A pair of wire cutters can fix that security issue.  I'll be happy if he sticks to the bike. I'm tired about hearing about golfing presidents. There are other sports out there and ways to exercise.

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7237 on: January 20, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
Today is my birthday.  I can't think of anything I wanted more than a new president.  I have taken a half day and will be leaving work shortly, and will be celebrating heavily.  Cheers America.

Happy birthday! 

I'm exhausted in that good, "I just ran my first marathon" way.  Except that all I've done today is cry and drink cheap prosecco from Trader Joe's.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7238 on: January 20, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »

Y'all have an optimism I don't possess. 
I'd bet money that we're not past Trump doing something outrageous, and probably on fairly frequent basis.  He's still got hold of the conservative and right-wing media, he's got millions of rabid followers and - oh right! - an impeachment trial in the coming days.

Plus, now that he's "Private Citizen Trump" we'll be getting a steady drip-drip-drip of revelations from at least four major lawsuits which can now proceed.

I'm not an optimist, but I'd like to see this thread turn into the "Trump justice of the day."  The NY AG office is going to be on his and his friends' asses for the rest of the year not to mention GA and a number of private lawsuits.

DW's birthday today as well.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7239 on: January 20, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »

Happy birthday! Can't think of a better way to celebrate. If I didn't have an early work meeting tomorrow (I'm the only American on the team), I'd also be celebrating heavily.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7240 on: January 20, 2021, 11:23:51 AM »
OP Here.

I plan to ignore this forum, and I invite you to join me.

Part of how we cleanse ourselves of our former-President is to be very disciplined in not clicking on links with his name. That is how media--who print the name because it used to attract eye-balls--will get the signal to move on.

And a "Trump Justice and lawsuit" thread would be totally welcome, although I do not plan to start one.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7241 on: January 20, 2021, 11:26:13 AM »

holy crap!  Your birthday wish made this happen!
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7242 on: January 20, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
I am very happy to say this is my last on this thread.  I look forward to a Trump on Trial thread or whatever y'all call it.  Thanks for all the great information and reading!

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7243 on: January 20, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread. It was something that at least for me, helped have as an outlet, and sanity check.

megaschnauzer

• Bristles
« Reply #7244 on: January 20, 2021, 11:45:41 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread. It was something that at least for me, helped have as an outlet, and sanity check.

+1

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
  • Here to learn.
« Reply #7245 on: January 20, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
+1 for the reasons Megaschnauzer said.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7246 on: January 20, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
This is officially the last time I will visit this thread.  It's been a ride.  I am purposefully avoiding it because Trump should have nothing to do with my daily life or concerns ever again.

Taran Wanderer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7247 on: January 20, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »
This thread has been a welcome zone of sanity about the insanity of tRump. I especially appreciated how even when y’all disagreed on some things, you generally weren’t disagreeable. Looking forward to discovering the new Trump Justice of the Day thread.  ¡Adios!

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7248 on: January 20, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »

+1

+2. I have to remain publicly nonpartisan, and that's been really f-ing hard to do lately. So thank you for this outlet.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7249 on: January 20, 2021, 01:34:18 PM »
I have a beautiful dinner planned and a bottle of champagne chilling to celebrate!

This was one of the best days ever! Not seeing Trump's ugly mug at the inauguration was definitely a plus! Thanks Donnie for NOT showing up! The event was first class and most of all, Presidential! Thank you Joe Biden and Kamala Harris! Hopefully, we are on the road to recovery in more ways than one!