Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 357317 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4900 on: October 21, 2020, 12:52:22 PM »

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4901 on: October 21, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
Why do so many big political names have so much baggage? Is it impossible to be "normal" and a politician at the same time?

Well there's like 550 political officials on the federal level and another 50 governors that can usually make national news as well. (State politicians can make the news, but it has to be realllly juicy.)

So I guess having 5 or so politicians a year make news for their baggage shouldn't be unexpected. What's surprising is when despite their baggage, they continue to be members of congress or the news cycle for years on end. Usually it seems the D's go into obscurity, but R's seem to hang around a lot longer despite their scandals.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4902 on: October 21, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »
Is it impossible to be "normal" and a politician at the same time?

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy may have captured it best:

The major problem - one of the major problems, for there are several - one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4903 on: October 21, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »
From the Associated Press:
How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantage

Such a very stable genius. A few gems of campaign spending:

Other questionable expenditures by Trump and the RNC that are included in campaign finance disclosures:

— Nearly $100,000 spent on copies of Donald Trump Jr.’s book “Triggered,” which helped propel it to the top of the New York Times bestsellers list.

— Over $7.4 million spent at Trump-branded properties since 2017.

— At least $35.9 million spent on Trump merchandise.

— $39 million in legal and “compliance” fees. In addition to tapping the RNC and his campaign to pay legal costs during his impeachment proceedings, Trump has also relied on his political operation to cover legal costs for some aides.

— At least $15.1 million spent on the Republican National Convention. The event was supposed to be in Charlotte, North Carolina, but Trump relocated it to Jacksonville, Florida, after a dispute with North Carolina’s Democratic governor over coronavirus safety measures. The Florida event was ultimately canceled, with a mostly online convention taking its place. Disclosures show the RNC still spent $1 million at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island, near Jacksonville.

— $912,000 spent on ads that ran on the personal Facebook pages of Parscale and Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson.

— A $250,000 ad run during Game 7 of the 2019 World Series, which came after Trump was booed by spectators when he attended Game 5.

— At least $218,000 for Trump surrogates to travel aboard private jets provided by campaign donors.

— $1.6 million on TV ads in the Washington, D.C., media market, an overwhelmingly Democratic area where Trump has little chance of winning but where he is a regular TV watcher.

He's such a savvy businessman. He hires the best people.

He's been openly using the RNC as his personal slush fund and keeping his properties afloat since day 1. None of this is new, and nobody in the RNC cares.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #4904 on: October 21, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »

Other questionable expenditures by Trump and the RNC that are included in campaign finance disclosures:

— Nearly $100,000 spent on copies of Donald Trump Jr.’s book “Triggered,” which helped propel it to the top of the New York Times bestsellers list.

— Over $7.4 million spent at Trump-branded properties since 2017.

— At least $35.9 million spent on Trump merchandise.

— $39 million in legal and “compliance” fees. In addition to tapping the RNC and his campaign to pay legal costs during his impeachment proceedings, Trump has also relied on his political operation to cover legal costs for some aides.

— At least $15.1 million spent on the Republican National Convention. The event was supposed to be in Charlotte, North Carolina, but Trump relocated it to Jacksonville, Florida, after a dispute with North Carolina’s Democratic governor over coronavirus safety measures. The Florida event was ultimately canceled, with a mostly online convention taking its place. Disclosures show the RNC still spent $1 million at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island, near Jacksonville.

— $912,000 spent on ads that ran on the personal Facebook pages of Parscale and Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson.

— A $250,000 ad run during Game 7 of the 2019 World Series, which came after Trump was booed by spectators when he attended Game 5.

— At least $218,000 for Trump surrogates to travel aboard private jets provided by campaign donors.

— $1.6 million on TV ads in the Washington, D.C., media market, an overwhelmingly Democratic area where Trump has little chance of winning but where he is a regular TV watcher.

He's been openly using the RNC as his personal slush fund and keeping his properties afloat since day 1. None of this is new, and nobody in the RNC cares.
Michael Steele seemed to care, though he is a few years out of RNC leadership.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-steele-former-rnc-chairman-endorses-joe-biden/

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4905 on: October 21, 2020, 04:40:11 PM »

<snip>

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-steele-former-rnc-chairman-endorses-joe-biden/

Will they they cut him loose in a few months? And will he form a 3rd party based on nationalism and Deep State conspiracies?

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4906 on: October 21, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4907 on: October 21, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
On my bingo card is trump using the phone/text emergency system for some stupid thing before he leaves office.

OzzieandHarriet

• Bristles
« Reply #4908 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »
He’s still hoping for a Comey-style October surprise. Isn’t this illegal or something?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-wray-biden-barr/2020/10/21/6ce69f02-13b0-11eb-ad6f-36c93e6e94fb_story.html

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4910 on: October 22, 2020, 06:59:34 AM »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4911 on: October 22, 2020, 07:28:45 AM »

<snip>

Will they they cut him loose in a few months? And will he form a 3rd party based on nationalism and Deep State conspiracies?

The RNC will start caring if/when they lose the Senate and WH. 
Almost everyone within the party has been fine with the Trump show so long as they got their judges and had McConnell as a steadfast fireblock from any Democratic legislation.  If that evaporates in January there's going to be a reckoning within the GOP, and I predict many within the party will turn on Trump, nad lots and lots of dirty laundry will be aired in public.

"Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan"

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4912 on: October 22, 2020, 08:02:32 AM »
What the actual fuck.

Voters In Florida And Alaska Receive Emails Warning 'Vote For Trump Or Else!'

It was Iran! https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/926445682/u-s-blames-iran-for-threatening-election-emails-says-russia-may-interfere-too

I wonder if Trump gave them something for their support, or if they just see that Trump is destroying America and want to keep the free gift going.

I don't understand this, because I cannot see how Trump continuing as President is good for Iran. They liked things better under the JCPOA much more than this shitshow.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4913 on: October 22, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
I don't understand this, because I cannot see how Trump continuing as President is good for Iran. They liked things better under the JCPOA much more than this shitshow.

I’m not saying what he told me in their briefing, I can tell you that from the briefing I had the strong impression it was much rather to undermine confidence in elections and not aimed at any particular figure, but rather to undermine the very wellspring of our democracy.

That was my strong impression at the meeting. I did not get the impression it was aimed at any political figure, and I’m surprised that DNI Ratcliffe said that at this press conference.

- Chuck Schumer

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4914 on: October 22, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
His team is still trying to fabricate another He’s still hoping for a Comey-style October surprise. Isn’t this illegal or something?

Remember, the 2016 one was a direct fabrication using a few legitimate data points (a laptop with some archived emails), the lack of transparency about what was actually in those emails or what other info was on the laptop (direct orders from the top to perform a forensic analysis of the laptop were delayed for 3 weeks I believe by local officials), and the relatively rogue NY FBI field office +Giuliani using this info to pressure Comey into getting ahead of the issue by announcing (and quickly "concluding") an investigation. Comey deserves scorn, but he was also being played by Trump operatives, and they've been trying (mostly unsuccessfully so far) to repeat their previous achievement.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4915 on: October 22, 2020, 09:58:21 AM »
His team is still trying to fabricate another He’s still hoping for a Comey-style October surprise. Isn’t this illegal or something?

Remember, the 2016 one was a direct fabrication using a few legitimate data points (a laptop with some archived emails), the lack of transparency about what was actually in those emails or what other info was on the laptop (direct orders from the top to perform a forensic analysis of the laptop were delayed for 3 weeks I believe by local officials), and the relatively rogue NY FBI field office +Giuliani using this info to pressure Comey into getting ahead of the issue by announcing (and quickly "concluding") an investigation. Comey deserves scorn, but he was also being played by Trump operatives, and they've been trying (mostly unsuccessfully so far) to repeat their previous achievement.

Yeah, it's a weak repeat of 2016. Not very creative and the setup feels rushed (although the initial email screenshot/PDF was made in Sept 2019, so there was some planning).

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4916 on: October 22, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
Haven't watched it, but he followed through on his threat to post his video of the 60 Minutes interview (and apparently broke his agreement with CBS in doing so):

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522254-trump-posts-full-60-minutes-interview-showing-him-walking-out

Good times. What's the over/under on his participation in the debate tonight? He's still squawking about how tonight's moderator is far worse than Lesley Stahl.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4917 on: October 22, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
Haven't watched it, but he followed through on his threat to post his video of the 60 Minutes interview (and apparently broke his agreement with CBS in doing so):

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522254-trump-posts-full-60-minutes-interview-showing-him-walking-out

Good times. What's the over/under on his participation in the debate tonight? He's still squawking about how tonight's moderator is far worse than Lesley Stahl.

Interesting. I just watched the last couple minutes of the video. He sounds really awful (Covid is clearly still affecting his throat), and he looks like a petulant child, of course.

My guess? He'll do the debate tonight but spend a ton of time whining/bitching at/to the moderator about how awful she is, how unfair she is to him, how unfair Leslie Stahl was, "And if you look at the video, and if you look at all the horrible, horrible things, and how unfairly I'm treated by..." etc. etc.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4918 on: October 22, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »

With Trump, it’s gotten to the point where anytime he spends time calling someone “terrible” or other similar, negative superlative I think to myself: Now that’s someone who’s probably worth paying attention to!

“Insulted by Trump” should be listed on many CVs in the near future.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4919 on: October 22, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
And now this.

A Dutch hacker was able to guess Trump's Twitter password and access his account in seven tries.

https://dutchreview.com/news/dutch-hacker-guesses-trumps-twitter-password-in-7-tries

His password was -- wait for it -- "maga2020".

Any guesses as to whether his security people are now scrambling like mad to change his passwords on all his other accounts?

This is the second time in as many days that Trump or a member of his close circle has proven himself far too stupid and gullible to be in a position of national power. The security risks are massive. It's unconscionable.

Vote blue. For country over party.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4920 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa, give him some credit- it was actually "maga2020!" - that ! at the end makes it way more secure. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4921 on: October 22, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa, give him some credit- it was actually "maga2020!" - that ! at the end makes it way more secure.

You're right, my apologies. I guess it was just my Trump Derangement Syndrome blinding me.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4922 on: October 22, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »
Well, to be fair, Trump’s twitter password was waaaaay more secure than Kayne’s iPhone log-in.
Spoiler: show
0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4923 on: October 22, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
And now this.

A Dutch hacker was able to guess Trump's Twitter password and access his account in seven tries.

https://dutchreview.com/news/dutch-hacker-guesses-trumps-twitter-password-in-7-tries

Any guesses as to whether his security people are now scrambling like mad to change his passwords on all his other accounts?

This is the second time in as many days that Trump or a member of his close circle has proven himself far too stupid and gullible to be in a position of national power. The security risks are massive. It's unconscionable.

omg.

I ran that through a security estimator site which said it could be cracked by a computer in 16 hours.

I then ran my Twitter password....which would apparently take 500 septillion years to crack.  I guess I'm qualified to be Trump's new director of cyber security! I could see the nomination now -- "This guy, he has the greatest of passwords - people say it'd take a computer many septillion years to crack! Most people don't even know what a septillion is - I do of course, I'm very good with numbers, but most people don't even know how long that is, it's truly an astonishing number, I myself might not even live long enough to see it!"

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4924 on: October 22, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
And now this.

omg.

I ran that through a security estimator site which said it could be cracked by a computer in 16 hours.

I then ran my Twitter password....which would apparently take 500 septillion years to crack.  I guess I'm qualified to be Trump's new director of cyber security! I could see the nomination now -- "This guy, he has the greatest of passwords - people say it'd take a computer many septillion years to crack! Most people don't even know what a septillion is - I do of course, I'm very good with numbers, but most people don't even know how long that is, it's truly an astonishing number, I myself might not even live long enough to see it!"
The best social media password is no social media account ( :

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4925 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
And now this.

omg.

The best social media password is no social media account ( :

I use mine for yelling at companies. I was impacted by a flight change that Chase Travel never told me about (I show up for my flight and they told me it was yesterday) - turns out the system that was supposed to communicate itinerary updates between Air Canada and Chase wasn't working (I think they found out when I called them).  They did nothing for me over the phone, so I hit them on Twitter -- I got 10k extra UR points and a refund for the flight.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4926 on: October 22, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
I'd much rather he have too easy a password than too hard.

Can you imagine when Reagan got shot, and his PR team would have needed to crack his passwords to try to get updates out on Twitter?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4927 on: October 22, 2020, 11:46:28 AM »

Can you imagine when Reagan got shot, and his PR team would have needed to crack his passwords to try to get updates out on Twitter?

No.  Twitter is a terrible way for politicians to communicate with people, and there would be no reason for them to use it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4928 on: October 22, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »

Um...

What?!

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4929 on: October 22, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
I should have put more thought into this, especially given that people are here to criticize Trump. Let me try to add a thought:

The President is such a public figure, that--if a bad actor puts out a fraudulent statement on twitter--it'll be easy to determine quickly that the statement was not authentic. So really he's his own password. Media would determine quickly enough that the activity on his account was illegitimate.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4930 on: October 22, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
I should have put more thought into this, especially given that people are here to criticize Trump. Let me try to add a thought:

The President is such a public figure, that--if a bad actor puts out a fraudulent statement on twitter--it'll be easy to determine quickly that the statement was not authentic. So really he's his own password. Media would determine quickly enough that the activity on his account was illegitimate.

I can't tell if you're fucking with us or not

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4931 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
Wait - you're saying the media can tell what is legitimate and what isn't WRT Trump's twitter?

I mean the DOJ is in court arguing the president's words on twitter cannot be taken seriously. Hasn't taken down that satire link that got so much play last week and may have been posted by the Dutch hacker. But people other than Trump can just tell if it was him or some unauthorized person?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4932 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:41 AM »

Yeah  . . .  not sure that theory works so well when the president himself regularly puts out fraudulent statements on twitter that make him look like an idiot.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4933 on: October 22, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »

What if he tweeted that he was declaring war or that nuclear weapons were headed toward NYC? These tweets would have repercussions even if they were determined to be fake within minutes.

If someone had access to his account they could buy up lots of stock in company X and then announce a huge government contract with them. Sell in a few minutes and done.

And as others have pointed out, there is nothing that could come from his account that would be so outrageous to be obviously fake.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4934 on: October 22, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »

Yeah  . . .  not sure that theory works so well when the president himself regularly puts out fraudulent statements on twitter that make him look like an idiot.

Although, to be fair, it used to be reasonably easy to tell when his aides would take away his phone. The level of correct spelling and grammar would increase considerably until his time-out was over.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4935 on: October 22, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »

What if he tweeted that he was declaring war or that nuclear weapons were headed toward NYC? These tweets would have repercussions even if they were determined to be fake within minutes.

If someone had access to his account they could buy up lots of stock in company X and then announce a huge government contract with them. Sell in a few minutes and done.

And as others have pointed out, there is nothing that could come from his account that would be so outrageous to be obviously fake.
Yup.  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-twitter-china-chaos-trades-stock-bet-market-a9162251.html

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4936 on: October 22, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »

@Davnasty , that is a pretty persuasive argument about the stock trading. I appreciate the chance to air my more wild thoughts for this group, but it's clear this current one wasn't well-thought-out.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4937 on: October 22, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »

Someone obviously hacked Talltexan's account.  No way he would put out something so laughable.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4938 on: October 22, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »
Actually, following mustachian principles means that I am frequently able to make posts from Europe myself ;-)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4939 on: October 22, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
I remember all the cries about national security and other criticisms leveled against Obama because he wanted to keep his blackberry.

OzzieandHarriet

• Bristles
« Reply #4940 on: October 22, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »

I saw the following in a comment on the WaPo article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/22/trump-60-minutes-breaks-agreement-cbs-stahl/#comments-wrapper) about this:

I understand the problem. Here are some examples of questions that Trump would find acceptable:
Why are you the greatest president of all?
How old were you when you first realized that you are a calm and stable genius?
You did such a wonderful job during your first term. What can you do to top that in your second, third and fourth terms?
Is voting for Joe Biden treason or sedition?
Why haven’t you deported Black Americans back to where they came from? (Okay, this is a trick question; the US is where Black Americans came from! 😂)
Do the Russians pay in rubles or dollars?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:56:00 PM by OzzieandHarriet »

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4941 on: October 22, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
I was pondering the past year since this thread began. That incredible Thursday--October 17, 2019--it truly seemed like there would be no bottom.

Yet here we are, 370 days and 300,000 American deaths added on to that point. I have to admit, it's gone worse than I expected.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4942 on: October 22, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »

I saw the following in a comment on the WaPo article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/22/trump-60-minutes-breaks-agreement-cbs-stahl/#comments-wrapper) about this:

I understand the problem. Here are some examples of questions that Trump would find acceptable:
Why are you the greatest president of all?
How old were you when you first realized that you are a calm and stable genius?
You did such a wonderful job during your first term. What can you do to top that in your second, third and fourth terms?
Is voting for Joe Biden treason or sedition?
Why haven’t you deported Black Americans back to where they came from? (Okay, this is a trick question; the US is where Black Americans came from! 😂)
Do the Russians pay in rubles or dollars?

Time to visit old Rushbo, then!

Fox News is out. Trump was tantruming over their recent polls.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4943 on: October 22, 2020, 05:10:17 PM »
I was pondering the past year since this thread began. That incredible Thursday--October 17, 2019--it truly seemed like there would be no bottom.

Yet here we are, 370 days and 300,000 American deaths added on to that point. I have to admit, it's gone worse than I expected.

I’ve always had grim expectations with this administration, yet they continue to do even worse than I feared.

And now Covid has killed Santa. I’m blaming that on trump and hours failed response too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4944 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:42 PM »
I’ll admit - I’m kinda shocked that Trump didn’t stage some elaborate media-circus for the last debate, like when he held a ‘press conference’ with women who had previously accused Bill Clinton of inappropriate sexual behavior right before his debate with Hillary.
The debate itself was rather low-key, at least for this particular president.  Trump seemed downright meek for the first twenty minutes or so.

Frankly very little from Trumps campaign has seemed well orchestrated in the past few weeks. They’re calling the same exact plays from 2016 (secret emails! FBI Investigation! Lock him/her up!) but seem surprised that Biden and the DNC is well prepared this time around. I still fear what norm-busting maneuver Trump might pull in these final weeks of voting.  Maybe he might actually go through with firing Wray, and perhaps Barr for good measure.  Make Kushner ‘acting’ head of the DOJ for a few weeks? 
Time will tell...

ETA: I guess trump invited Hunter Biden’s former business partner to the debate? So basically it’s the same syndicated move as in 2016: surprise guest to psych out opponent! Seems this year the media largely ignored it
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:59:03 AM by nereo »

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4945 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:00 PM »
No.  Twitter is a terrible way for politicians to communicate with people, and there would be no reason for them to use it.

Fixed that for you.  :)

I've yet to regret killing my Twitter account a couple of years ago. 

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4946 on: October 23, 2020, 04:54:50 AM »

Although, to be fair, it used to be reasonably easy to tell when his aides would take away his phone. The level of correct spelling and grammar would increase considerably until his time-out was over.
There is actually (for a long time) a twitter bot retweeting and putting a % chance it was a real Trump post to it.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4947 on: October 23, 2020, 05:09:23 AM »

“Insulted by Trump” should be listed on many CVs in the near future.

+1

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4948 on: October 23, 2020, 05:13:37 AM »
What the actual fuck.

Voters In Florida And Alaska Receive Emails Warning 'Vote For Trump Or Else!'

It was Iran! https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/926445682/u-s-blames-iran-for-threatening-election-emails-says-russia-may-interfere-too

I wonder if Trump gave them something for their support, or if they just see that Trump is destroying America and want to keep the free gift going.

Even Trump cannot bribe a government the size of Iran. Iran, and Russia, see that Trump is bad for America. Standard power politics: weaken your rival nation.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4949 on: October 23, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Here's an outrage from last night I'm not seeing mentioned: as Trump was walking off the stage with Melania she took her hand out of his, needing a bit of effort to do it, and Trump retaliated by pushing her in the back.

If he does that in front of millions of TV watchers what does he do in private?