Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779148 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #3900 on: September 02, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »
That being said there are people that feel that way, and they're making a big splash with their violent actions/loud voices. So, if you disagree with them, it's probably a good idea to stop using phrases that can very easily be associated with it like defund the police. Just a thought...
In this case it's okay for me to call any MAGA idiot a Nazi because that phrase was one of Hitler's, right?

So the right wing kid who brings a gun and medical kit to the protests and spent his day standing in front of businesses so they don't get torched, washing off graffiti, carrying around a fire extinguisher and running away from aggressors whenever possible came with the intent to commit murder but the left wing guy who brought a gun and a medical kit to the protests was just prepared to defend himself should he be attacked?
Just for the sake of discussion, ignoring all other points especially objective truth:
In the case of the "left", he thinks is defending himself or his family from getting killed by police.
In the case of the right, he is defending property of someone else.

I am always dumbfounded by how many (esp. right) Americans seem to be more concerned over a property damage than about a human live.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:13:38 AM by LennStar »

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3901 on: September 02, 2020, 04:34:49 AM »
That being said there are people that feel that way, and they're making a big splash with their violent actions/loud voices. So, if you disagree with them, it's probably a good idea to stop using phrases that can very easily be associated with it like defund the police. Just a thought...
In this case it's okay for me to call any MAGA idiot a Nazi because that phrase was one of Hitler's, right?

You're not going to bother me, and I'm certainly beyond defending anything Trump does or Trump supporters, so have at it. If you'd made the statement I wouldn't have come close to generating enough internal energy to argue with you. However, to respond to your question since you asked directly, it's not really the same thing because with Hitler, you have something well known, sure, but that happened 70 years ago. With this, you have two simultaneously occurring movements, one of which liberals claim they don't agree with at all but that are using similar terminology. Might be worth expending a little energy to differentiate yourself.

That's great. I don't disagree with you that rank and file Democrats are not promoting anarchy/freeing everyone from prisons, immediately abolishing all police departments/etc.

Eh, haters gonna hate.

That is, people who would be persuaded by the tactic of "They want to defund the police! The suburbs are going to be run over by the blacks antifa!!11!" won't hear or won't believe that Biden and leftist Democrats don't want to 100%, totally, defund the police and set criminals free.

The Republican convention, though, continually tried to make Biden a radical. They couldn't do it directly because he's been a moderate Democrat his entire life so they're now trying to paint him as a tool for radicals.

tl;dr The lines are drawn. No Foxnews-watching Republican is going to change their mind because Biden's "defund" policy is a baby step.

You can take that position if you want, of course. I think it's a pretty cynical and actually an innacurate position. This movement is getting traction. I'm seeing apolitical people post about BLM and starting dialogues. I'm seeing conservative people being swayed where they're not automatically taking the side of the police.

It's ironic, liberal people defending things like the term "defund the police" are condescending of people criticizing it (not saying you were here but in general) with the critique, you need to just take some time and energy and dig into the issue. It's ironic because as a movement they're not taking the time and energy to properly articulate a phrase that means what they want it to mean, even when other simultaneous groups, as mentioned above, are literally promoting true defunding of the police where there is no money at all therefore no police and liberals can't be bothered to repudiate the phrase and promote what they're really wanting.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3902 on: September 02, 2020, 07:00:12 AM »
There's certainly violence going on in the protests across America right now.  I'm certain that some of the violence is coming from far left instigators.  I'm just as sure that there are also people who just want a chance to smash stuff.  There are undeniably a few far right instigators like the 17 year old who arrived at the protests in Wisconsin armed and with intent to commit murder - and was successful in his attempt..

So the right wing kid who brings a gun and medical kit to the protests and spent his day standing in front of businesses so they don't get torched, washing off graffiti, carrying around a fire extinguisher and running away from aggressors whenever possible came with the intent to commit murder but the left wing guy who brought a gun and a medical kit to the protests was just prepared to defend himself should he be attacked?

No, of course not!

Bringing a gun to a protest is a bad idea.  Full stop.  Why would political affiliation play into it?  It's probably a worse idea for a BLM protester to bring a gun given the number of murders that police commit against unarmed black folks . . . no need to provide extra reasons/excuses to be shot.  Bringing a gun to a protest is like bringing an angle grinder, or baseball bad, or 30 cans of spray paint - seems like someone is looking for trouble.  A gun is an offensive weapon - it's not defensive at all.  It is a violence escalator.  There is no way to shoot someone safely or defensively.

Are the armed right wing and left wing kids equal (beyond being equally misguided to bring a firearm to a protest)?  I dunno . . . we would have to look at their actions.  How many people did the left wing kid murder with his gun?  The right wing kid killed two.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3903 on: September 02, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
I cannot reconcile the concept of "peaceful" with carrying an assault-style firearm.  The latter inherently carries the threat of mortal harm.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3904 on: September 02, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
1. A change in Trump's demeanor will not help. Ted Wheeler has been on the rioters side since the beginning, even going out and getting tear gassed to show solidarity with them, and they still demand his resignation. What went right with Ted Wheelers approach?

Can you point to a time where Trump changed his demeanor towards the protesters that proves your claim here?

1. One guy gives into their demands and is still reviled. Why do you think Trump doing the same would help?

I didn't say that he has to give in to their demands.  Where are you getting that?  I believe that a change in Trump's demeanor would be a help in the situation.  It certainly has not been tried thus far by the president.

Since the protests started he has been extremely aggressive, both in his rhetoric and in his actions.  This approach has increased rather than reduced tensions.  You appear to be advocating for more of the same failed approach.  If it has been proven to not work, why do you think more of the same will suddenly start working?  To me this makes little sense.  Perhaps you could explain your reasoning on this.

3. You decide to try and refute my point about media manipulation with talking points from media manipulation. At this point with videos being available and a statement from his defense attorney explaining his side, you use your mind reading powers to understand his motives.

Media manipulation has little to do with it.  I believe that the motives of a man who brings an assault rifle to a protest because he violently disagrees with the protesters does indeed have bad intentions.  This seems to have been corroborated by his (very predictable) actions.  But you're right, this is not what the statements he released to the press after the fact to prove his innocence indicate that he was thinking.

3. If two videos showing him being chased and a witness saying the AntiFa side started it can't convince you, there is no helping you.

The teenager who committed the murders was certainly chased by protesters after he shot and killed the first time.  That's on video and is very clear.  I don't consider running to try and stop a gunman who has just shot another person to be an unreasonable act of violence.  There we do appear to differ.

Can you provide the source that you're using that describes the protesters involved as AntiFa please?

So, by that token . . . you've repeatedly claimed that Ted Wheeler and Kate Brown want the president to march his jackbooted thugs into town without authorization.  Can you point to the times they've been quoted saying this?  Or are you using media driven talking points and mind reading powers to understand their motives?

As for the mayor and Governor, well, they have a duty to uphold the law, correct? They have to make sure the city and state stays functional so people can go about their daily lives. It sounds like they have abandoned their duties.

Nor is this an isolated incident. Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Kenosha, New York, all these places has had violent riots. What else could be the common factor? Seems like Democratic strong holds. Why would Democrats all of a sudden decide their cities needed a taste of lawlessness?

So, again . . . I've got to ask you . . . are you using media driven talking points and mind reading powers to understand the motives of others?  Or do you have evidence that supports the very serious allegations you're making?  Having this evidence was very important to you in this very conversation just a few posts ago.

FWIW, I think that it's reasonable to look at a situation and infer what people think by their actions.

Are Democrats letting situations escalate out of control and causing violence on their own?  Maybe.  But there are certainly other reasons why these areas might get violent.  You mention New York . . . New York has a long history of race based policing, of unarmed black men being killed by police without cause, and of the police officers involved in the deaths never being held accountable.  Chicago the same.  So if you ask me why violent protests broke out there, the answer seems pretty obvious.

Then we have the situations that don't fit the 'Trump-hating Democrat' narrative at all.  Like Kenosha.

Kenosha is yet another place where police used unreasonable force when dealing with a black man.
 It makes sense that there were violent protests there.  It is represented by Republican Bryan Steil in the House of Representatives, and by Republican Ron Johnson and Democrat Tammy Baldwin in the senate.  The mayor of Kenosha requested that the national guard be brought in when protests became violent.  None of this appears to play into the narrative that Democrats are masterminding a way to make Trump look bad and refusing to call in support when needed.

4.  The instigators are using the protests as cover. Bad actors are slapping "PRESS" on their shirts. The protesters will have to help root out troublemakers.

In your opinion . . . if one bad person puts 'PRESS' on their shirt who doesn't work for the press . . . the police should be given free reign to attack the press forevermore?  This includes when the people the police are attacking are:
- clearly marked as press
- obviously not criminal / performing any misdeeds
- obviously not a threat of any kind
- are displaying visible press cards and identification
?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1266546753182056453
https://twitter.com/i/status/1266925551941541890
https://twitter.com/i/status/1266945268567678976
https://twitter.com/i/status/1266910910137995264
https://twitter.com/i/status/1267294124123750402
https://twitter.com/i/status/1266919447970942986

I can find hundreds of video clips of police purposely targeting press who were clearly doing their jobs and not a threat.  Leaving aside the question of whether or not 'fake press' is really a thing as you're claiming . . . do you really argue that this is no problem?

4. Were they told that an "unlawful assembly" had been declared? Having a press badges does not allow you to ignore police instructions. Does having a press padge mean laws suddenly don't apply to you?

From this comment it appears you didn't actually watch the video that was taken.  The police fired rubber bullets and tear gas upon people clearly marked as press from a distance, without giving any instructions, and without warning.

Having a press badge certainly doesn't mean that laws no longer apply.  But there appears to be some confusion about what "unlawful assembly" means.

Here's a direct quote from New York state's legal code about unlawful assembly:
240.10 Unlawful assembly.
A person is guilty of unlawful assembly when he assembles with four or
  more  other  persons  for the purpose of engaging or preparing to engage
  with them in tumultuous and  violent  conduct  likely  to  cause  public
  alarm,  or  when,  being  present  at  an  assembly  which either has or
  develops such purpose, he remains there  with  intent  to  advance  that
  purpose.

As you can see, declaring 'unlawful assembly' does not apply to press covering the story in New York as they are not remaining with an intent to advance the purpose of tumultuous or violent conduct.  I suspect that the rules are similar in other states as well, but feel free to check on your own.

Either way, you have not answered my question.  Is it acceptable in your eyes for police to aggressively attack those who are:
- clearly marked as press
- obviously not criminal / performing any misdeeds
- obviously not a threat of any kind
- are displaying visible press cards and identification
?

The protesters will have to help root out troublemakers.

If the police rooted out troublemakers, there wouldn't be any protests to begin with.  Why do you believe that protesters have to be held to a much higher standard than police officers?

5. The violence detracts from the message. Protesters should report anyone that is instigating violence or is looting. I believe they have agency of their own to do such things.

I agree with you.  Violence does detract from the message.  I also agree that protesters should report anyone instigating violence or looting.  Indeed, many did just that in different occasions (https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-george-floyd-protests-police-and-protesters-try-to-stop-looting-11591377543, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protesters-condemn-opportunistic-looting-violence).  Could more be done on this front?  Probably.

But again . . . it's important to hold police to the same high standard we hold protesters to.  Police violence and lawlessness detracts from the message that the police want people to follow rules and behave peacefully.  Regardless of the number of protesters who report looting - I fear that the looting will likely continue while the police continue to behave lawlessly.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3905 on: September 02, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
You can take that position if you want, of course. I think it's a pretty cynical and actually an innacurate position. This movement is getting traction. I'm seeing apolitical people post about BLM and starting dialogues. I'm seeing conservative people being swayed where they're not automatically taking the side of the police.

It's ironic, liberal people defending things like the term "defund the police" are condescending of people criticizing it (not saying you were here but in general) with the critique, you need to just take some time and energy and dig into the issue. It's ironic because as a movement they're not taking the time and energy to properly articulate a phrase that means what they want it to mean, even when other simultaneous groups, as mentioned above, are literally promoting true defunding of the police where there is no money at all therefore no police and liberals can't be bothered to repudiate the phrase and promote what they're really wanting.

We've discussed the term before on this very forum and you may have posted in that thread. Most (all?) think it's a bad phrasing. The originators needed some marketing. Unfortunately, that train has left the station.

My point is that it doesn't matter. Biden's plan is out there and in no way defunds (per the dictionary definition) the police but the GOP is going to use it as an attack anyway.

Is it a poor choice of words? Definitely.
Have the Democrats promoted what they really wanted? Yes, in both Biden's plan and in actual cities where they're looking at "defunding" the police.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-biden-defund-the-police-position

Quote from: foxnews
In June, when "defund the police" became a rallying cry for many of the protesters demanding justice for George Floyd, Biden called for police reform but said he did not support defunding police departments.

Meanwhile, Republican US Representatives are posting doctored videos.

That video interview resurfaced this week when Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., removed an edited video of Biden and Barkan he posted on Twitter after backlash that the clip was "doctored" to portray the Democratic presidential nominee as supporting the defunding of police.
[...]
The context of the original exchange made clear that Barkan was talking about redirecting police funding, but the edit drew strong criticism nevertheless.
(bolded)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3906 on: September 02, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
I think one factor at play in the escalation of protests and Trump's continued flaming of these situations, is that this narrative seems to play into one (of the seemingly endless) re-election themes that he's the "LAW AND ORDER" president. He has no vested interest in deescalating tensions in any of these situations and doing so would not only go completely against his character, but would undercut his message that he alone can save everyone from "Biden's America"...nevermind that all of this is currently happening in Trump's America.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3907 on: September 02, 2020, 08:06:10 PM »
OK, this one is incredibly outrageous - Trump appears to encourage North Carolinians to vote twice to test the system

The f-ing President of the United states is asking citizens to commit a crime.  Either way, HE wins - it sows doubt about the election outcome if they don't, and it also might get him some more votes, or get people arrested which is THEIR problem...  The high-stakes deterrent was put there to discourage the idea of trying it, not to turn how-ever-many Trump loyalists in to criminals, or blow up the election...  *Giant face-palm followed by banging head against the wall*  This really cannot be happening.  November is coming way too late this year...

The President later told people to send in their ballots, saying, "Send them in strong, whether it's solicited or unsolicited. The absentees are fine. You have to work to get them, you know."
"And you send them in, but you go to vote. And if they haven't counted it, you can vote. So that's the way I feel," he said.
Trump essentially encouraged voters to test the state's voting system.
According to North Carolina law, it's a felony "for any person with intent to commit a fraud to register or vote at more than one precinct or more than one time, or to induce another to do so, in the same primary or election, or to vote illegally at any primary or election."

Clearly, if you send in an absentee or mail-in ballot, do not try to vote in person also, 'just in case'.  The President should know that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:08:40 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3908 on: September 02, 2020, 08:21:04 PM »
OK, this one is incredibly outrageous - Trump appears to encourage North Carolinians to vote twice to test the system

The f-ing President of the United states is asking citizens to commit a crime.  Either way, HE wins - it sows doubt about the election outcome if they don't, and it also might get him some more votes, or get people arrested which is THEIR problem...  The high-stakes deterrent was put there to discourage the idea of trying it, not to turn how-ever-many Trump loyalists in to criminals, or blow up the election...  *Giant face-palm followed by banging head against the wall*  This really cannot be happening.  November is coming way too late this year...

The President later told people to send in their ballots, saying, "Send them in strong, whether it's solicited or unsolicited. The absentees are fine. You have to work to get them, you know."
"And you send them in, but you go to vote. And if they haven't counted it, you can vote. So that's the way I feel," he said.
According to North Carolina law, it's a felony "for any person with intent to commit a fraud to register or vote at more than one precinct or more than one time, or to induce another to do so, in the same primary or election, or to vote illegally at any primary or election."

Clearly, if you send in an absentee or mail-in ballot, do not try to vote in person also, 'just in case'.  The President should know that.

If the systems are in place, they will not be able tocommit a crime. They will cast a provisional ballot in person, that will be matched up with their mail in ballot, and only the mail in ballot will be counted.

What it will do is gum up the whole process if they have to process thousands of provisional ballots that were cast just to test it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3909 on: September 02, 2020, 08:33:50 PM »

If the systems are in place, they will not be able tocommit a crime. They will cast a provisional ballot in person, that will be matched up with their mail in ballot, and only the mail in ballot will be counted.

What it will do is gum up the whole process if they have to process thousands of provisional ballots that were cast just to test it.

If they don't tell the poll workers that they've already voted, does the mail-in ballot take precedence?

It could delay the results, which also helps Trump's "stolen election" theme.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3910 on: September 02, 2020, 09:04:43 PM »
The hypocrisy really is astounding

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3911 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:17 AM »

If they don't tell the poll workers that they've already voted, does the mail-in ballot take precedence?

It could delay the results, which also helps Trump's "stolen election" theme.

Yes the mail in ballot takes precedence. The provisional ballot is only counted if there is no other ballot and the voter is confirmed eligible to vote.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3912 on: September 03, 2020, 06:36:20 AM »
It's incredibly sad to watch our democracy be stolen and stomped to death in real time...with 40%+ of the population cheering it on

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3913 on: September 03, 2020, 07:04:20 AM »
It's incredibly sad to watch our democracy be stolen and stomped to death in real time...with 40%+ of the population cheering it on

Unfortunately, in a democracy the people get the government they deserve.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3914 on: September 03, 2020, 07:22:16 AM »

In my small town we use paper ballots. I check in to vote, then check out after voting, but there are no identifying marks on my actual ballot to connect my specific ballot to me. Is this unsual? How on earth would a system like this match a mail-in ballot to a provisional one?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3915 on: September 03, 2020, 07:35:09 AM »

In my small town we use paper ballots. I check in to vote, then check out after voting, but there are no identifying marks on my actual ballot to connect my specific ballot to me. Is this unsual? How on earth would a system like this match a mail-in ballot to a provisional one?

The provisional ballot goes into an envelope, similar to the mail in ballot. The information on the envelope is verified, and checked against mail in ballots, as well as other provisional ballots. They decide whether or not this particular ballot will be counted without ever looking at the ballot. If it is to be counted, it gets put with the rest of the ballots for a fair election.

Check with your local election board for specific details.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3916 on: September 03, 2020, 07:37:27 AM »

I’m pretty sure after the last election I read about a person who was caught submitting their mail-in ballot (universal mail in ballots in CO) and then voting in person as well. I’m too lazy to look it up right now but if I remember correctly it was a female, a Trump voter, and she was prosecuted for voter fraud. I feel like anyone who knowing tries to vote twice should be prosecuted - not just have their duplicate ballot thrown out.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3918 on: September 03, 2020, 08:26:02 AM »

In Michigan, the clerks maintain e-pollbooks, which are updated the night before election day to reflect all the validly registered voters in each precinct, as well as which voters have been issued an absentee ballot and those whose absentee ballots have already been returned and logged in the system. When a voter who has received but not voted an absentee ballot tries to check in at the precinct, we get an alert on the e-pollbook computer. They have three options at that point: surrender the absentee ballot onsite and receive a standard ballot, use the absentee ballot and turn it into the clerk's office, or apply for a provisional ballot. In the latter case, if the person who applied for the provisional ballot had already voted, the second in-person ballot doesn't count.

All returned, completed absentee ballots received by the clerk's office are logged in the pollbook and checked to make sure that the signature on the outside of the ballot matches both the signature on file for that registered voter and the signature used on the absentee ballot application. Currently registered voters cannot apply for and receive an absentee ballot on election day; at that point, they are required to vote in person at their precinct. This is a safeguard against someone voting twice by waiting until the precinct e-pollbooks are locked.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3919 on: September 03, 2020, 09:42:15 AM »
It is almost as if going to an all mail-in system would solve a lot of problems... I'm glad I live in a state where that is the case.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3920 on: September 03, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »
The signature thing worries me. How many people sign exactly the same way every time? I know my own signature has changed since I registered for my current address 20 years ago.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #3921 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
The signature thing worries me. How many people sign exactly the same way every time? I know my own signature has changed since I registered for my current address 20 years ago.

I'm assuming that they have pretty liberal standards as to checking what a signature looks like. My guess is that a program of some sort does an initial filter/automation, then people review the for any obvious errors on the machine part, the signatures are then reviewed by a bi-partisan panel.

Some places will likely contact you if your signature couldn't be verified.

Here is the law written for WA voting signature verification standards: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=29A.40.110

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3922 on: September 03, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »

I'm assuming that they have pretty liberal standards as to checking what a signature looks like. My guess is that a program of some sort does an initial filter/automation, then people review the for any obvious errors on the machine part, the signatures are then reviewed by a bi-partisan panel.

Here is the law written for WA voting signature verification standards: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=29A.40.110
Given the current litigious attitude of the Republican Party I wouldn't bet on liberal standards for a valid signature, particularly in a swing district.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3923 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:08 AM »

Yes. Our local clerks call people if there are issues with the returned absentee ballots. Apparently forgetting to sign the envelope is a recurring issue. We have to apply for absentee ballots before each election (default is still voting in person), and your signature gets checked both at that stage and when you return the ballot.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3924 on: September 03, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »
It is almost as if going to an all mail-in system would solve a lot of problems... I'm glad I live in a state where that is the case.

I certainly see the advantages, but I and many others would miss the option to vote in person. I had a blast working the polls in August, and I've learned so much about election processes and security from talking to our local clerks over the past year. Some people don't trust the security of the mail or drop boxes or the absentee ballot counting process and want to put their own ballots in the tabulator.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3925 on: September 03, 2020, 11:01:23 AM »

Given the current litigious attitude of the Republican Party I wouldn't bet on liberal standards for a valid signature, particularly in a swing district.

Last year I got sick of my scrawled signature and have been experimenting with trying to make it look like my actual name. I’m not sure what my original even looked like. I may be in trouble here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90534923/voting-by-mail-is-secure-but-it-has-a-seriously-low-tech-downside-your-signature
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:08:47 AM by OzzieandHarriet »

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3926 on: September 03, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
Interesting opinion piece on how Democrats may need to be careful of what they wish/push for when it comes to voting by mail.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/09/02/democrats-mail-in-voting-407939

No matter what anyone says or does, there is inevitably going to be more mail-in voting this fall, given fears of the coronavirus. States and localities should prepare as early and as best as they can. But in-person voting is superior. Only about one-hundredth of 1 percent of in-person votes are rejected, whereas rejection rates of 1 percent are common with mail-in votes, and many states exceeded that during their primaries this year.

This should be a five-alarm worry for Democrats. According to polling, almost twice as many Biden supporters as Trump supporters say they’ll vote by mail this year. According to NPR, studies show “that voters of color and young voters are more likely than others to have their ballots not count.” In another universe, if Trump were urging Democrats to stay away from the polls and instead use the method much more likely to get their votes discarded, it’d be attacked as a dastardly voter-suppression scheme.

In its primaries, New York state delivered up the perfect storm of ramped-up mail-in voting, inadequate preparation and bureaucratic ineptitude. In the 12th Congressional District, more than half of the votes were absentee. It took weeks to declare a winner and the number of rejected mail ballots was roughly three times Rep. Carolyn Maloney’s 3,700-vote margin of victory over challenger Suraj Patel.

If this had happened in Georgia in a race a Republican narrowly won over a Democrat, it would be it considered a notorious offense against democracy itself.

It’s easy to see how what happened in New York easily could preview a close general election. NPR notes that more than 23,000 absentee ballots were rejected in Wisconsin’s primary this year, exceeding Trump’s margin in the state in 2016. Nearly 40,000 were rejected in Pennsylvania, where Trump won by 44,000 votes in 2016.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3927 on: September 03, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »

Last year I got sick of my scrawled signature and have been experimenting with trying to make it look like my actual name. I’m not sure what my original even looked like. I may be in trouble here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90534923/voting-by-mail-is-secure-but-it-has-a-seriously-low-tech-downside-your-signature

Bring a photo ID to your clerk's office and update your signature on file in person. I'm trying to improve my chicken scratch and will probably have to do the same thing.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3928 on: September 03, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
There are times laws get broken, and commentators mention that no one has actually ever been prosecuted for breaking that law.

This doesn't seem to be the case for voting twice (note: date on the article is two years ago): https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/arrested-voting-north-carolina.html

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3929 on: September 03, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »
The voting regulation details matter, and will likely be legal hot points in mid-November, but the overall Trump strategy appears to be to create as much smoke and chaff around the voting process itself that he has additional room to sue over any result he doesn't like or attempt to use the courts to affect the counting process. The lessons of 2000 are strong and he is more than willing to do unethical things to get a result he wants. And this is happening within the context of the GOP (mostly McConnell) repeatedly blocking attempts to increase election security. This is in part due to GOP reluctance to anger Trump, who would view (or at least tweet) it as being an admission that Russia interfered on his behalf in 2016 (which every legitimate investigation, including by GOP led committee has shown to be the case).

Ugh.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3930 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
There are times laws get broken, and commentators mention that no one has actually ever been prosecuted for breaking that law.

This doesn't seem to be the case for voting twice (note: date on the article is two years ago): https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/arrested-voting-north-carolina.html

I absolutely endorse arresting someone for voting twice.  It sends the correct message that, if allowed to 'slide' and become endemic, it subverts democracy.  Not even Trump's vote is worth more than anyone else's.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3931 on: September 03, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »

We've discussed the term before on this very forum and you may have posted in that thread. Most (all?) think it's a bad phrasing. The originators needed some marketing. Unfortunately, that train has left the station.

My point is that it doesn't matter. Biden's plan is out there and in no way defunds (per the dictionary definition) the police but the GOP is going to use it as an attack anyway.

Is it a poor choice of words? Definitely.
Have the Democrats promoted what they really wanted? Yes, in both Biden's plan and in actual cities where they're looking at "defunding" the police.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-biden-defund-the-police-position

In June, when "defund the police" became a rallying cry for many of the protesters demanding justice for George Floyd, Biden called for police reform but said he did not support defunding police departments.

Meanwhile, Republican US Representatives are posting doctored videos.

That video interview resurfaced this week when Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., removed an edited video of Biden and Barkan he posted on Twitter after backlash that the clip was "doctored" to portray the Democratic presidential nominee as supporting the defunding of police.
[...]
The context of the original exchange made clear that Barkan was talking about redirecting police funding, but the edit drew strong criticism nevertheless.
(bolded)
That's fair. I'm probably projecting because I've talked to people recently who truly want to eliminate police. I'm glad that Biden is coming down against that idea. It's worth coming down strongly against.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3932 on: September 03, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
It's starting to get boring watching Barr act as the President's personal attack dog, body guard, lawyer, and bullshitter. I've completely forgotten what an Attorney General is supposed to do.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: September 03, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »
Trump is trying really hard to change perceptions of Biden to make him look like he's under the influence of crazy left-wing radicals, but Biden is from the New Democrat faction of the Democratic Party. That's the faction of the party that is centrist, socially liberal, economically conservative, and quite moderate. Other New Democrats include people like Obama, the Clintons, former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson, and former Texas governor Ann Richards.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #3934 on: September 03, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

Yeaaa, but that’s not what we’ve got in the US. Every facet of our system benefits one party:
- In Presidential elections, Democrats must get ~3-4% more votes to win, thanks to the electoral college
- It is virtually impossible for Democrats to get a 60 seat majority (necessary to do anything meaningful to actually improve this system) in the senate. Half of the Senate represents just ~20% of the US population.
- The house has far too few representatives to proportionately represent US districts. Small states, again, have more representation than states with large populations.
- The courts... presidents appoint judges, and every Republican President in 30 years has lost the popular vote. Yet 5 of the 9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. Which says nothing of lower courts.

We have a huge mess. I don’t know how this gets resolved. Republicans will not give any inch to fix any of this while it benefits them.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3935 on: September 03, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
This is the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes. Yet 30% of Americans think the economy is fine

It really is amazing that Trump and a significant number of Americans are talking about how great this year is going!  I guess, if you only look at the stock market and live in an insular bubble, things look pretty good?

A new study from the Pew Research Center says 69% of Americans think the current economic situation is bad, while 30% think it's good. By comparison, only 17% thought the economy was in good shape in 2009, the worst year of the Great Recession.
That's striking, because by a lot of metrics, the current downturn is a lot worse than the years following the financial crisis: Far more jobs were lost, unemployment is higher, the economy contracted more sharply and the government is spending more.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3936 on: September 03, 2020, 09:33:29 PM »

Yeaaa, but that’s not what we’ve got in the US. Every facet of our system benefits one party:
- In Presidential elections, Democrats must get ~3-4% more votes to win, thanks to the electoral college
- It is virtually impossible for Democrats to get a 60 seat majority (necessary to do anything meaningful to actually improve this system) in the senate. Half of the Senate represents just ~20% of the US population.
- The house has far too few representatives to proportionately represent US districts. Small states, again, have more representation than states with large populations.
- The courts... presidents appoint judges, and every Republican President in 30 years has lost the popular vote. Yet 5 of the 9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. Which says nothing of lower courts.

We have a huge mess. I don’t know how this gets resolved. Republicans will not give any inch to fix any of this while it benefits them.

The manner in which we implement our elections is broken. I'm not as concerned about the Electoral College in principle, but we have 50 separate methods for holding an election that are expected to align and contribute to a shared outcome, and as we've discovered the last few months it only takes a few people to derail the entire process. 

Trump is trying really hard to change perceptions of Biden to make him look like he's under the influence of crazy left-wing radicals, but Biden is from the New Democrat faction of the Democratic Party. That's the faction of the party that is centrist, socially liberal, economically conservative, and quite moderate. Other New Democrats include people like Obama, the Clintons, former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson, and former Texas governor Ann Richards.

Maybe his team crafted anti-Sanders talking points early on and then had nothing for Biden and said "screw it, use what we've got."

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3937 on: September 04, 2020, 02:50:31 AM »
Here's the Atlantic story on Trump calling America's war dead "losers" and "suckers" -

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

A great uncle of mine was conscripted into the British Army in WW1 and was killed in action not that far away from Belleau Wood.  When you see pictures of those rows of white gravestones in military cemetaries one of those gravestones could be his.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3938 on: September 04, 2020, 05:35:50 AM »
This is the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes. Yet 30% of Americans think the economy is fine

It really is amazing that Trump and a significant number of Americans are talking about how great this year is going!  I guess, if you only look at the stock market and live in an insular bubble, things look pretty good?

A new study from the Pew Research Center says 69% of Americans think the current economic situation is bad, while 30% think it's good. By comparison, only 17% thought the economy was in good shape in 2009, the worst year of the Great Recession.
That's striking, because by a lot of metrics, the current downturn is a lot worse than the years following the financial crisis: Far more jobs were lost, unemployment is higher, the economy contracted more sharply and the government is spending more.

With regards to the economy, people are most influenced by their own personal situation and those of their immediate family.  Another facet of this was how many people surveyed thought we were still in a recession in 2010 (well into the recovery), because their personal reality was one of recent economic instability.

Absolutely by most quantitative metrics the economy is anything but “fine”.  The newly-unemployed, long-term unemployed and business bankruptcies are all drastically bad.  But if you and your kin have retained their jobs and have any money in the stock market (e.g. 401k) you are likely to have a much better opinion on the ‘economy’ than someone who’s been furloughed or laid-off since April.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3939 on: September 04, 2020, 06:26:45 AM »

With regards to the economy, people are most influenced by their own personal situation and those of their immediate family.  Another facet of this was how many people surveyed thought we were still in a recession in 2010 (well into the recovery), because their personal reality was one of recent economic instability.

Most of my friends have no idea that there's an actual book definition for recession. They all just think it means "the job market sucks" in some loosely defined meaning of the phrase.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3940 on: September 04, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »

Maybe his team crafted anti-Sanders talking points early on and then had nothing for Biden and said "screw it, use what we've got."

This has been tossed out for the better part of the last two weeks as what happened.  They expected Sanders to be the winner.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3941 on: September 04, 2020, 06:49:25 AM »

This has been tossed out for the better part of the last two weeks as what happened.  They expected Sanders to be the winner.

Seriously? I was just trying to be a smart ass.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3942 on: September 04, 2020, 06:59:54 AM »

Seriously? I was just trying to be a smart ass.
Seriously.  They were expecting Sanders or Warren or someone who they could clearly attack as a socialist to take the vote as I believe they felt, like on the Republican side, that the majority of voters were far left, as they like to portray the party.  I find this hilarious for a guy who ran on the "forgotten".  Both parties have forgotten there are a lot of us who are in the middle and not far wing in our beliefs.  That's a lot of the conversations around here is that neither party represents the middle any more and that is getting a large portion of the voting base irritated.   Voting for Biden is a way to show that radical views are not what is needed or supported.  Democracy, working as it should, is a slow plod of progress, not a massive shift.  I understand that for the areas we need to impact that is frustrating but that is how it works.  The people who really felt Trump could blow up the system saw him unable to do anything of note because the system is built to not work that way no matter how much someone tweets or lies or blusters to the camera.  You've got to sit down at a table across from people who think differently than you and work out a compromise. 

Trump has always, and was planning, on running on fear.  Except that is hard to do when you are in charge and the things you are asking people to be afraid of occurred when you had the power to do something and failed.  This is so hilarious to be because all the things he accused Obama of, the executive orders, the lack of negotiation, and that he promised to wow the American people with have been nothing but a blowhard meeting his match in a system that he is not the CEO of and therefore cannot bully around or fire on a whim.  Hard to lead when the only way you know to do that is by intimidation and authority in a system where most people you need to influence do not report to you and you have little to no authority over.  If we want a "business person" to run the country you need to hire (elect) a project manager not an executive.  Those are the people that know how to get things done without any authority.  A CEO is a poor model for a president.  It's not remotely the same power structure or system of getting things done.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3943 on: September 04, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »

It's true that the US system is unfairly and severely slanted towards the Republican party (and is an issue).  But 40% of your country not only approves of Donald Trump . . . but thinks he's doing a fantastic job.

Let's say you're one of five lost at sea in an inflatable life raft.  When one guy keeps stabbing holes in the bottom and another guy keeps giggling and telling him to stab faster, eventually everyone's going to end up paying for it.  Even if the majority just wants to ignore them and try to survive.

Here's the Atlantic story on Trump calling America's war dead "losers" and "suckers" -

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

A great uncle of mine was conscripted into the British Army in WW1 and was killed in action not that far away from Belleau Wood.  When you see pictures of those rows of white gravestones in military cemetaries one of those gravestones could be his.

Let's be fair to Trump.  You have to look at it from his point of view.

Veterans are all losers who weren't smart enough to have their rich daddy own the building of a doctor who could diagnose their perfectly healthy, athletic child (who had managed to avoid the draft for four years in university already) with "ankle spurs" to avoid fighting for their country.  Those other suckers just didn't win at the free market economy!

And it's even worse if there isn't a draft going on.  What kind of idiot would voluntarily sign up to serve in the military when they could just take a couple million from daddy to fail at playing businessman?  Makes no sense at all.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3944 on: September 04, 2020, 07:36:13 AM »

Absolutely by most quantitative metrics the economy is anything but “fine”.  The newly-unemployed, long-term unemployed and business bankruptcies are all drastically bad.  But if you and your kin have retained their jobs and have any money in the stock market (e.g. 401k) you are likely to have a much better opinion on the ‘economy’ than someone who’s been furloughed or laid-off since April.

Agreed. I also think the fall-out will become much more apparent on a wider scale in the next 6-12 months.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3945 on: September 04, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »

Most of my friends have no idea that there's an actual book definition for recession. They all just think it means "the job market sucks" in some loosely defined meaning of the phrase.

Ultimately, we rely not on books, but on people (specifically the Business Cycle Dating Committee of the NBER) to declare our economy is in recession.

And you know what makes up that economy? Also people.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3946 on: September 04, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »

It's true that the US system is unfairly and severely slanted towards the Republican party (and is an issue).  But 40% of your country not only approves of Donald Trump . . . but thinks he's doing a fantastic job.

Let's say you're one of five lost at sea in an inflatable life raft.  When one guy keeps stabbing holes in the bottom and another guy keeps giggling and telling him to stab faster, eventually everyone's going to end up paying for it.  Even if the majority just wants to ignore them and try to survive.

Veterans are all losers who weren't smart enough to have their rich daddy own the building of a doctor who could diagnose their perfectly healthy, athletic child (who had managed to avoid the draft for four years in university already) with "ankle spurs" to avoid fighting for their country. 

If Trump has any public comments that can possibly make these private comments seem possible for him, I'll take this scandal more seriously.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3947 on: September 04, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »

Veterans are all losers who weren't smart enough to have their rich daddy own the building of a doctor who could diagnose their perfectly healthy, athletic child (who had managed to avoid the draft for four years in university already) with "ankle spurs" to avoid fighting for their country. 

If Trump has any public comments that can possibly make these private comments seem possible for him, I'll take this scandal more seriously.

Funny, I don't care about this scandal precisely because he has already said it in public - McCain was a loser, because he was a POW. His supporters and most undecideds didn't care then and they don't care now. I will save my energy for something that might make a difference.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3948 on: September 04, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »

Funny, I don't care about this scandal precisely because he has already said it in public - McCain was a loser, because he was a POW. His supporters and most undecideds didn't care then and they don't care now. I will save my energy for something that might make a difference.

Let's not forget how he treated Col. Vindman. And his brother.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3949 on: September 04, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
Given that Trump folks are usually delighted when Trump upsets people, I've decided to just not give a crap anymore. Occasionally I'll outright agree/repeat stuff to them just to watch the consternation. Trying out the "soldiers are all a bunch of pathetic losers, I hate the military" should be a fun one.

-W