Author Topic: Tracking Identity of a 70's (?) Song with Female Chorus in background.  (Read 1386 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Definitely off topic.   I was listening to some old vinyl (that my ex wife left behind) and one of the songs had a really beautiful, touching, soft  background vocal which sounded like three young women. There was a male lead singer (I think).

I  wanted to hear it again, so I replayed all the vinyl I had played in the last week or so. Can't find anything with the female background vocals. 

The albums were : Cat Stevens 'Tea for the Tillerman',  James Taylor 'In the Pocket', Hall and Oates (favorite hits or something) and Simon and Garfunkle 'Bookends'.  Oh, and Bonnie Raitt something. And Linda Ronstadt and Stone Ponies something.

At first I thought it must have been one of the Simon and Garfunkle songs, maybe the one with the 'All gone to look for America' lyrics. But nope, played it and no female chorus. Dang.     

May have had one too many microbrews and added the chorus myself, in my mind. Ha Ha.

Grasping at straws.   

Maybe I have the record lying around, underneath something.

Maybe someone can name an album of the seventies like the ones I mentioned, pop-rock I guess is the category, that has beautiful female background vocals.  It was a slow song.

Thanks

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Tracking Identity of a 70's (?) Song with Female Chorus in background.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Definitely off topic.   I was listening to some old vinyl (that my ex wife left behind) and one of the songs had a really beautiful, touching, soft  background vocal which sounded like three young women. There was a male lead singer (I think).

I  wanted to hear it again, so I replayed all the vinyl I had played in the last week or so. Can't find anything with the female background vocals. 

The albums were : Cat Stevens 'Tea for the Tillerman',  James Taylor 'In the Pocket', Hall and Oates (favorite hits or something) and Simon and Garfunkle 'Bookends'.  Oh, and Bonnie Raitt something. And Linda Ronstadt and Stone Ponies something.

At first I thought it must have been one of the Simon and Garfunkle songs, maybe the one with the 'All gone to look for America' lyrics. But nope, played it and no female chorus. Dang.     

May have had one too many microbrews and added the chorus myself, in my mind. Ha Ha.

Grasping at straws.   

Maybe someone can name an album of the seventies like the ones I mentioned, pop-rock I guess is the category, that has beautiful female background vocals.  It was a slow song.

Thanks

“Crystal” by Fleetwood Mac? Male lead, layered female voices, slow and dreamy. Circa 1975, on the album simply titled “Fleetwood Mac”. (The whole album is worth a listen.)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »

Grasping at straws.   

Thanks

“Crystal” by Fleetwood Mac? Male lead, layered female voices, slow and dreamy. Circa 1975, on the album simply titled “Fleetwood Mac”. (The whole album is worth a listen.)

Thanks for the recommendation. But it wasn't that one.  Big Fleetwood Mac fan, especially Bare Trees era.  And Rumors.   

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
Linda Ronstadt used to do all sorts of backup vocals and most of the time never credited. She and Crystal Gayle, Emmylou Harris, and Dolly Parton all did soooo much background vocal magic... I'd definitely look hard at any country album that mention any of those ladies 1960-70s for your song. They worked on albums by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Guy Clark, The Band, and other big name country bands, so if there are any by those folks (looking hard at any by The Band) won't be painful.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:40:05 PM by Frankies Girl »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »
Linda Ronstadt used to do all sorts of backup vocals and most of the time never credited. She and Crystal Gayle, Emmylou Harris, and Dolly Parton all did soooo much background vocal magic... I'd definitely look hard at any country album that mention any of those ladies 1960-70s for your song. They worked on albums by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Guy Clark, The Band, and other big name country bands, so if there are any by those folks (looking hard at any by The Band) won't be painful.

Thanks for the ideas and recommendations. My latest theory is that I was listening to Cat Stevens'  "Father and Son" which has background vocals by Alun Davies, a male,  and I must have thought his voice sounded female. Ha.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!