Author Topic: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't  (Read 128794 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2015, 11:02:28 PM »
Foreign travel. There, I said it.
Crowds
Loud music
Meeting several new people at once. One at a time, please.
Kale
Smoothies
New-car smell (yech!)
Camping, specifically, cooking and cleaning up.
Having my hair cut. I can't stand being groomed by someone else.

You guys who hate cake frosting, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
Kale?

Multiple mentions of this one.

Isn't Kale supposed to be healthful and gross?

A lot of people like it now because the bar of expectation was set so low.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
New Anything.  Maybe it's from growing up poor, but for some reason I hate having new clothes/shoes/car/etc.  I remember getting new shoes in the 2nd grade and scuffing them on the way to school so nobody would notice.  It certainly helps with living a mustachian life but it seems like it is at odds with the majority.
Oh wow, the second grade story is great!

The Matrix. I'm a life long Sci-Fi fan, but I've never been able to get past the opening scenes of that famous movie.
I've never watched it in whole, much less remember the beginning, but what if you skipped the beginning? :)

mpcharles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2015, 02:58:38 AM »
Babies, anything from China, family, the disabled, mothers, afro-amer culture, the heat.

A chinese disabled baby with an afro mother on a hot day... just the worst
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:00:46 AM by mpcharles »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »
Babies, anything from China, family, the disabled, mothers, afro-amer culture, the heat.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:26 AM »

Do you feel disdain every time you type on your computer/cellphone/tablet/electronic device, drive your car, or use anything electronic?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
Finally people have been offended! We have a winner! Congratuations, mpcharles.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »

Do you feel disdain every time you type on your computer/cellphone/tablet/electronic device, drive your car, or use anything electronic?

I do. Disdain for me.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
As a Canadian we're 'supposed' to like...

- Hockey (HUGE here), don't play and hardly watch (unless company pays for seats), don't care
- Baseball, again same thing as hockey
- Skiing/Snowboarding, now i'm the rare guys who actually don't mind the winter (not extreme winters) but I don't care for either activities.
- TV, i get a glazed eye look when people talk about "popular" TV shows.  I'm not immune to media... I'll watch Netflix and such but hardly ever any general TV "with commercials".
- Clubbing/nightlife, I'm pretty much over that age now (36) but can't stand it.  Too loud, too expensive, too stupid.
- Social Media, never got into it, never will... funny I've had a career in IT my entire life.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
Kale.  Pickled beets.  Sushi.   Healthy stuff but just can't stand it. 

Shopping.  To me, it is a necessary chore not a form of entertainment.  Husband loves to shop though which works well for us. 

Idiotic high-heeled shoes and your toes are all jammed in.  Crazy. 

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
Games. I have a friend who always wants to get together and play games. He likes Corn Hole, card games, settlers of catan, etc. I really can't stand playing games. I'd be plenty happy to just get together and shoot the sh*t over a beer or something but he's always needing this extra thing to play. Ugh. He's a poor conversationalist though so that might make sense.

Oh, man, you and me both. Ugh. Every time I'm with people and someone suggests playing a game... Instat panic reaction. Nooooo... Don't make me do it!  I will happily sit at the same table and read a book while you guys play, but... Please do me a favor and count me out.
Me too! I have sat and read a good book or had a conversation with another like-minded person, while others played games...

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Btw, for the folks who do not like oatmeal - not that you have to- but try steel cut. Soak it at night, microwave for a few minutes in the am. I barely need anything in this except a pinch of salt and a shake of cinnamon. Very different texture than any other type of oatmeal.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »

Nice to meet you Mr Kaczynski.

Welshrabbit

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
I need to phrase this correctly otherwise I will come off as a monster:

I do not like the lifestyle that comes with being a parent of young children.  I love my kids, they are awesome little people and I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's. 

HOWEVER...I do not like waking up early, I do not like having zero time to myself, I do not like the constant noise, and I do not like the complete lack of freedom that comes with the responsibility.

Alright...ready to be told how awful I am.  Flame on!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »

I do not like the lifestyle that comes with being a parent of young children.  I love my kids, they are awesome little people and I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's. 

HOWEVER...I do not like waking up early, I do not like having zero time to myself, I do not like the constant noise, and I do not like the complete lack of freedom that comes with the responsibility.

No one likes that part. No one thinks you should like that part. Everyone hates that part - you are not alone. Sleep deprivation, waking up in a pool of little kid pee, and being told "I'm hungry!" for the 97th time in 2 hours is flat out NOT fun, even if you generally love having children. I see no awfulness.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »

you're not awful! you just described exactly the reason i never wanted to have kids! my dad and stepmom had little ones when i was in high school so i knew what it was about and just ... didn't want to do it.

i'm sure if i had kids i would love them and also dislike the lifestyle, just like you.

i hope you don't feel bad for just speaking the truth. you said it very diplomatically. :)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
A short list (in no particular order):

Beer
Sushi
Coffee
Babies
With a few exceptions, Bruce Springsteen's music

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »
Concerts (among other reasons, the music is usually better on the recorded track).

Heh.  I'm the exact opposite.  I pretty much never listen to a studio album.  I don't give a shit if you can perform in a studio.  I want to hear you do it live.  I want to hear how the music has changed over 6 months.  I want to hear improvised solos that change every time they're played.  Plus, the stage banter is way better. :)

The fact that sites like the Live Music Archive exist means that I'll never run out of cool shit to listen to.

Thanks for the archive!  I'm a live music lover too.  I dig stage banter.  I think more emotion comes through the music -- even when it's not perfect.  And I love to hear a crowd react.

Welshrabbit

« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »

you're not awful! you just described exactly the reason i never wanted to have kids! my dad and stepmom had little ones when i was in high school so i knew what it was about and just ... didn't want to do it.

i'm sure if i had kids i would love them and also dislike the lifestyle, just like you.

i hope you don't feel bad for just speaking the truth. you said it very diplomatically. :)

Thanks madge, I appreciate it :)  I really do love my kids with all my heart, I just had no idea parenting would be so damn difficult!

On a side note: I really applaud those of you who are self-aware enough to know that kids are not for you.  I think too many people have kids because they think they are "supposed to" or get pressure from relatives to.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
Coffee
Peanut butter
Bananas
Bacon
Hot Dogs
Anything else made from pig
Mixing meats on one sandwich or in one dish
Loud noises of any kind - in particular I hate being in loud places like bars or concerts, I even wear earplugs to vacuum
Apple pie
Running (WTF is up with this fad anyways?)
Listening to music in general - I prefer to listen to the world and to myself think
Beer of any kind, just yuck!  (But really, try this one!  How about no.)
Sit coms, pretty much all of them

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
Star Wars
Pumpkin Spice __________
Diamonds
Apple things (Macs, iPhone, the watch... why?)

Presents. Rarely something I actually wanted unless the person ordered it off my wish list, in which case I would probably like it better if I bought when I was ready. Also they usually make me feel more guilty than anything else. Especially if I wind up getting rid of it.

Yes! I hate to be given gifts and can totally relate to the guilt thing.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
I should have liked being engaged/planning my wedding/being a princess or whatever. I was SO RELIVED to be done with it all. Thrilled I'm married, but I did not enjoy getting there. (I did have a bit of fun picking my dress though, so there you go. And I ACTUALLY enjoyed writing the ceremony with DH, so that was fine).

So much this.  I HATED wedding planning.  It was stressful and yet, somehow, mind-numbingly tedious all at the same time.  And I had a fairly simple wedding.  I don't feel that I can complain too much, though, because the actual day itself was super fun, and being married to my husband has been worth every second of aggravation.  :)

For food: bananas, frozen mixed vegetables (my family claims that I'm "bizarre" for not liking them), and green peppers.  I can taste those bad boys any way you prepare them and it's so hard not to spit out my food when I do.

Also, marijuana.  Even the smell makes me want to gag, and the few times I've forced myself to get past that and actually try it were miserable.  Paranoia with a side of boneless exhaustion followed by throwing up, anyone?  Lovely.

I'll second marijuana and bananas! I want so badly to like bananas, considering how cheap and easy they are... but just no. I hate the smell, the texture, the taste... all of it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
Cheese.

I don't hate it. I just kind of don't get it.

Oh man, will you please for the love of mercy trade with me? I'm viciously allergic* to milk products, and I miss cheese soooo muuuuuch. I'll give all the good stuff my mom packed in my lunch, I swear. Just trade me your cheese indifference!

*Yes, allergic to the casein molecule. No, not intolerant of the lactose molecule. Holding strong with butter, tho. Mmmm, butter.
I am too, and I can't even have the butter.  I love cheese so much, but haven't touched any for years, well not on purpose anyways.  My butter substitute, which is actually really good, is the Earth Balance Soy Free, cause I'm also allergic to soy.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »
  • Arrested Development. Clever, not funny. It's painful to watch.
  • Acapella/Barbershop harmony. Nails. On. Chalkboard... to me. Seriously makes me ANGRY to hear. No idea why... it's Pavlovian. You want to watch my blood boil, do that shit in earshot of me.
  • Watching sports. (with some exceptions, like the Olympics)
  • Live Music. I like my headphones. I hate putting up with crowds of "fans." Maybe that's why I don't like watching sports.
  • Booze. I'd rather just have a diet soda. An unopened bottle of rum has been in my fridge since I received it as a gift a year ago.
  • Foreign travel.* Fuck. Travel. Where you are is somebody else's "awesome travel destination."

*Disclosure: lived in Europe for five years, have been to over two dozen countries - I'd still like to see Asia but I'll go live there for a year or three when I'm retired, not as an annoying itinerant westerner

http://www.amazon.ca/When-Wanderers-Cease-Roam-Travelers/dp/1596914610
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:22:08 AM by cjottawa »

ReadyToStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
Game of Thrones TV show. Loved the books but the show is terrible.
Coffee.
Mama's home cooking.

And to keep with the theme, I despise Amy Schumer.

mpcharles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
Finally people have been offended! We have a winner! Congratuations, mpcharles.
I thought that was the point? Seriously noone dislikes babies?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
Winner winner chicken dinner. You are either a troll or a racist. Congrats!

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
The Beatles.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

The Beatles.

You really should like them. You are right.

(That's a great one.)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

No one likes that part. No one thinks you should like that part. Everyone hates that part - you are not alone. Sleep deprivation, waking up in a pool of little kid pee, and being told "I'm hungry!" for the 97th time in 2 hours is flat out NOT fun, even if you generally love having children. I see no awfulness.

Yeah, no kidding. The reason my wife and I have three kids so close in age (well, one is still a bun in the oven) is so we could get over the hard part as quickly as possible. No use dragging it out any more than necessary :)

Welshrabbit

« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »

Yeah, no kidding. The reason my wife and I have three kids so close in age (well, one is still a bun in the oven) is so we could get over the hard part as quickly as possible. No use dragging it out any more than necessary :)

Thanks guys.  I was feeling like a really crappy parent.

I hear ya about getting it over as quick as possible.  My youngest just turned two and it's going to be time to go for three or go get snipped.  You can guess which way I'm leaning...

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

The Beatles.

(That's a great one.)

Thanks. I have tried, I promise. But they just grate on me the wrong way.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
As a woman I should like make-up, but I actually hate it. Also I don't like clothes. It's not that I prefer walking naked, but I just don't care about fashion and stuff like that. I love my Yoga pants and a t-shirt. That's good enough for me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
I'll second marijuana and bananas! I want so badly to like bananas, considering how cheap and easy they are... but just no. I hate the smell, the texture, the taste... all of it.

Maybe you just need to combine them?  Of course, you'd probably end up dipping that banana in chocolate with sprinkles and gummy bears, but it'd be delicious anyway.  Nomnomnom. 

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
Beer
Wine
Liquor
Coffee
Tea

I do not enjoy the act or social setting of drinking things. I'm a snacker (I prefer my empty calories in a donut). Every single one of those liquids has a "culture" around it and so many people (my family, friends, and most strangers) are into one or all of those items that I am constantly struggling with feigning interest in everyday conversations. I hate the "let's go grab a coffee" or "let's go hang out at the bar" mentality of work/friends/everything because (#1) I hate coffee/alcohol, and (#2) I hate being in social situations that pressure me to or assume I will spend money on things I hate.

It is also frustrating to get pushback from people who "can't believe" I don't like coffee/tea/alcohol, ask me if I am pregnant if I refuse alcohol, or gift me fancy teas.  I'M SORRY, I JUST DON'T LIKE IT. I am turning into a judgmental hard-headed person who will now not drink anything ever or buy drinks out because I've gotten my panties in a bunch, and who silently rolls her eyes and manipulatively changes the conversation whenever drink shop talk comes up.

Phew, that was really cathartic. Thanks thread!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
The first one that comes to mind is hoppy beer (IPA, etc.). I love good beer, so I ought to have cultivated an appreciation for hoppy beer by now, given how many craft brewers specialize in it. And I generally love strong flavors, including super-pungent curries, chile peppers (ghost pepper FTW!) and horseradish. But the bitterness of strong hop concentrations just puts me off, and I've never really gotten used to it.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
Beer
Wine
Liquor
Coffee
Tea

I do not enjoy the act or social setting of drinking things. I'm a snacker (I prefer my empty calories in a donut). Every single one of those liquids has a "culture" around it and so many people (my family, friends, and most strangers) are into one or all of those items that I am constantly struggling with feigning interest in everyday conversations. I hate the "let's go grab a coffee" or "let's go hang out at the bar" mentality of work/friends/everything because (#1) I hate coffee/alcohol, and (#2) I hate being in social situations that pressure me to or assume I will spend money on things I hate.

It is also frustrating to get pushback from people who "can't believe" I don't like coffee/tea/alcohol, ask me if I am pregnant if I refuse alcohol, or gift me fancy teas.  I'M SORRY, I JUST DON'T LIKE IT. I am turning into a judgmental hard-headed person who will now not drink anything ever or buy drinks out because I've gotten my panties in a bunch, and who silently rolls her eyes and manipulatively changes the conversation whenever drink shop talk comes up.

Phew, that was really cathartic. Thanks thread!
WOAH! I've finally found someone who thinks the same way about drinks/snacks that I do; rarely do I ever hear of someone else disliking tea, alcohol, and coffee! I absolutely refuse to pay for drinks of any kind, and usually choose water even when other options are available at no additional cost simply because I'd rather get my wasteful calories from snacks like donuts! I don't know about everyone else here with this situation, but I very quickly shoot down any notion that I will drink alcohol with them (or anything, really) very early on. Even to close friends, I'm like, "Hmm... Kitty doesn't drink -or- KittyCat doesn't like to spend money on drinks; let's meet up and do something else!" (btw, I'm one of those people who will refer to themselves in the third person). It's never been a problem for me, and I do not feel uncomfortable when I turn them down nor do others seem put off by it (at least, they're not showing it).

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Camping. I want to like it. I do. But I just don't, and camping can tell when I'm faking it.

Solidarity behind the anti-baby folks. I don't even particularity like the ones I'm related to, though I love them desperately.

I am too, and I can't even have the butter.  I love cheese so much, but haven't touched any for years, well not on purpose anyways.  My butter substitute, which is actually really good, is the Earth Balance Soy Free, cause I'm also allergic to soy.

Hey Zaga, nice to meetcha. Sad that you don't even get butter. My dairy thing kicked around age 30, and snuck up slow. I managed the symptoms for a couple years but then, once upon an otherwise lovely date evening the reaction kicked in so fast I kinda accidentally sort of vomitedonmygirlfriend'sshoes. And that was the end of cow/sheep/goat/gorilla juice products for me.

Liquid soy makes me feel off, but I can eat tofu. Have you discovered the Daiya brand of cheese substitute? It's great, but expensive. A treat, not a staple.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
Camping. I want to like it. I do. But I just don't, and camping can tell when I'm faking it.

Solidarity behind the anti-baby folks. I don't even particularity like the ones I'm related to, though I love them desperately.

Hey Zaga, nice to meetcha. Sad that you don't even get butter. My dairy thing kicked around age 30, and snuck up slow. I managed the symptoms for a couple years but then, once upon an otherwise lovely date evening the reaction kicked in so fast I kinda accidentally sort of vomitedonmygirlfriend'sshoes. And that was the end of cow/sheep/goat/gorilla juice products for me.

Liquid soy makes me feel off, but I can eat tofu. Have you discovered the Daiya brand of cheese substitute? It's great, but expensive. A treat, not a staple.
I've heard of it, but have so far resisted trying it out.  Honestly I can live without cheese.

My allergy also creeped up on me around the same age.  Sucked, but not having dairy or soy (I can do soybean oil and hydrolyzed soy protein, but that's it) means that I can do life and feel healthy, so it's worth it.

Silver lining?  I often turn down restaurant invites, and it also makes it much easier to resist buying food out in general, cause I know my home cooked food won't try and kill me.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »

The Beatles.

(That's a great one.)

Thanks. I have tried, I promise. But they just grate on me the wrong way.
I agree, I don't like the beatles either. I love Zeppelin and The Who, bands from around the same era, but just can't stand the Beatles.

zoltani

« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
I think you can tell a lot about a person by their answer to this question: Do you prefer the beatles or the stones?

As for me, I don't have anything I can add to this thread, I love everything. Or maybe I just don't dwell on this topic much, IDK.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
I think you can tell a lot about a person by their answer to this question: Do you prefer the beatles or the stones?

Drop them both in the ocean. I dislike them both equally.

zoltani

« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »

Drop them both in the ocean. I dislike them both equally.

Then you do not even exist in the world, don't cha know.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
This thread title...is flawed. Why should we like things we don't? I get it - if you made the title simply "Things you don't like" then it wouldn't have been as interesting.

Nevertheless, I'll play:

Coffee
Most books
All sports
Concerts
Parties

Never once have I felt like I "should" like these things though - I just simply don't.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »

Nope, not awful.   I've been home for much of the summer acting as a SAHP for my daughter and I'm super excited about her starting preschool, even though it means me going back to work (how very un-mastachian).   

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

I really don't like either.   Although, I'm not sure if I can name more than 1 or 2 of each of their songs.   Not sure what you could really tell about me from this.

zoltani

« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
Just figured one out, something I don't like:

People that take themselves too seriously.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »

As for me, I don't have anything I can add to this thread, I love everything. Or maybe I just don't dwell on this topic much, IDK.

What's your theory Zoltani?

And does if rise to the level of law?  If so, please share here!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=42136

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2015, 05:56:07 PM »

I think it is barely a hypothesis at this stage! Needs some serious experimental design work to properly test with any hope of statistical validity.  ;)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »

I think it is barely a hypothesis at this stage! Needs some serious experimental design work to properly test with any hope of statistical validity.  ;)

Don't overestimate the standards of the attached journal!