Author Topic: Things You Like That Most Other People Might Not  (Read 41125 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Things You Like That Most Other People Might Not
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
I prefer imitation crab meat to real crab meat.  I also prefer fully artificial Aunt Jemima to that gross syrup that comes from trees.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
I also prefer fully artificial Aunt Jemima to that gross syrup that comes from trees.

Agreed!

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
Hang the washing out to dry at the break of dawn.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
OK, that revoking Canadian citizenship law is going to come in handy - traitors.

I took maple syrup to New Zealand as a hostess gift - have you ever tried explaining that it is boiled tree sap to someone who has never heard of it but has control over whether you can bring it into the country or not?  Surreal experience.  Of course it is not as bad as explaining how bees make honey.

OK, just joking about the citizenship.  But I worry about your taste buds, or the quality of maple syrup you have been getting. 

I also prefer fully artificial Aunt Jemima to that gross syrup that comes from trees.

Agreed!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »
Whatever man, you enjoy your bizarre tortured tree blood.  My syrup is chemically designed superior.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
^ Blackstrap molasses is better than both of your favorites.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
OK, that revoking Canadian citizenship law is going to come in handy - traitors.

I took maple syrup to New Zealand as a hostess gift - have you ever tried explaining that it is boiled tree sap to someone who has never heard of it but has control over whether you can bring it into the country or not?  Surreal experience.  Of course it is not as bad as explaining how bees make honey.

OK, just joking about the citizenship.  But I worry about your taste buds, or the quality of maple syrup you have been getting. 

Agreed!

Personally I am an American and therefore may only eat corn, nothing but corn.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
Holding a snake in my hands.  There is nothing more alive feeling than a small snake.  As a little girl I lived in a place where there were no poisonous snakes so I was encouraged to "play with" i.e. catch, hold for a minute and release garter snakes by my Dad.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »

+1. We always feed a blackstrap, milk, and oat gruel to sick chickens. When I was a kid, I would steal bites before I took it out to the birds.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
Starlings.

Because they're so common in my city people think of them as trash birds. And I get that they're an invasive species, but that ship has sailed. What I like is their singing, very beautiful and interesting.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
Eating alone. Seriously, guys, it isn't horrible to eat by yourself. Some people actually like doing it! Like me! It's my alone time, to destress and recharge without being distracted by conversation.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
Eating alone. Seriously, guys, it isn't horrible to eat by yourself. Some people actually like doing it! Like me! It's my alone time, to destress and recharge without being distracted by conversation.

I go to theater by myself all the time.  Plays, not movies.  A good play is like a religious experience for me; I can really lose myself in it.

But I hate to eat out alone :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

+1. We always feed a blackstrap, milk, and oat gruel to sick chickens. When I was a kid, I would steal bites before I took it out to the birds.

Try it on pancakes. Or, better yet, make some biscuits with lard and sop it up. The iron supplement in the molasses offsets the artery hardening effects of the lard, I swear...

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »

I remember having a cat that smelled just like a stuffed animal, or the stuffed animal smelled like her. Some dogs smell very nice, especially when they haven't been hit by a skunk in the recent year.

Apparently I loved Tom Waits when I was 4 or 5 and wanted to re-listen to Bone Machine over and over. I still do love his music haha. Apparently my musical tastes didn't change much. I also love the soundtracks from the first two Silent Hill games. I have fond memories of evil washing machine screechy sound music.

[/quote]

when DD was around 3 1/2 she heard the Talking Heads Psycho Killer, she asked for that over and over and she would jump on the bed and sing  "Psycho Killer....Fafafafa fafa".  Happy she liked Talking Heads and scared she'd be at birthday party and burst into song and dance, CPS dragging me away.  Followed by Elvis Costello's Alison, on repeat until she fell asleep, at least the innuendo is more subtle with that one and who doesn't think a 3 yr old singing "Alison" is cute? Psycho Killer, not so much. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
Sleeping to the sound of frogs. It just makes me think of summers with the frogs in the swamp behind our housing drowning the sounds of everything else out.
This one cracks me up! I learned when visiting Puerto Rico that when their kids head out for college, they take recordings of the Coqui frog with them to play at night, because they can't sleep without the familiar and omnipresent sound. Totally understandable. (Cue Chicago "We Both Reached For The Gun" chorus.)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
Totally understandable. (Cue Chicago "We Both Reached For The Gun" chorus.)

AHAHAHA

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2015, 07:15:08 AM »
1. Hyper-organizing my things (alphabetized, by order of size or use, symmetrically - or all applicable combinations depending on the objects).
2. Personal finances
3. The Lord of the Rings (books, movies, all of it).
4. Solitude as well
5. My family (most people say things like «ugh, my parents are coming to town», whereas I'm uber excited when they come).
6. Making lists (clearly)
7. Being in the woods, camping, not showering

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
splitting FIREwood by hand and stacking it

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
Holding a snake in my hands.  There is nothing more alive feeling than a small snake.  As a little girl I lived in a place where there were no poisonous snakes so I was encouraged to "play with" i.e. catch, hold for a minute and release garter snakes by my Dad.

That blows my mind. If you ever visit my country, yeah, do not do this. From a young age, we're taught how to make sure we don't accidentally step on a snake, don't put your fingers in anything in the bush, don't play with spiders. Cos yeah, our stuff kills. Eastern brown snakes are pretty common where I live (and have even had one try to bit me in my yard once) and... are the second most venomous snakes in the world.

I have held a python once (non-venomous) and that was pretty cool.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »

That blows my mind. If you ever visit my country, yeah, do not do this. From a young age, we're taught how to make sure we don't accidentally step on a snake, don't put your fingers in anything in the bush, don't play with spiders. Cos yeah, our stuff kills. Eastern brown snakes are pretty common where I live (and have even had one try to bit me in my yard once) and... are the second most venomous snakes in the world.

I have held a python once (non-venomous) and that was pretty cool.

The part of my state that I grew up in, there are literally NO poisonous snakes. There's only rattlesnakes in the state for that, and they're on the other side of the mountain range (usually). Crazy, right? I had an Aussie exchange student in my high school and it blew her mind. She had your response to snakes when we showed her the little "garden snakes" we have.

We do have some spiders and plants with bad attitudes, but nothing like what you guys have. Or Florida. Or Arizona. All in all, the PNW of the US is a pretty calm place.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2015, 12:27:04 AM »
Quote from: Pigeon on October 11, 2015, 09:01:49 PM

Fashion: panty lines -- I mean, it's not that I like them per se, but I don't understand at all why they are a fashion faux-pas, they are so inoffensive to me.

It is a mystery to me why it is so horrible that people suspect you are wearing underwear.

Also, pubic hair.  I don't understand why that has become verboten these days.  Shaving and waxing, what misery.

Oh, this. Why is it considered so un-sexy to have a physical characteristic that shows you've gone through puberty? Surely being post-pubescent is a GOOD thing in a sexual partner?

Here's the answer. The comments are interesting too, if you have time. http://www.feministcurrent.com/2015/09/28/youve-heard-of-rape-culture-but-have-you-heard-of-pedophile-culture/

My own preference for less public hair has more to do with cunnilingus and not having to pick errant hairs out of my teeth.  TMI and YMMV. . .

Cunnilingus is a big part, plus the role that it has as a buildup to sex, both in the partner who shaved actively doing something to get ready, and in the other partner getting to appreciate the fact of that. Having said that: that second, and much more significant reason, is the same independent of gender.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2015, 12:35:27 AM »
I'm a man of science and reason, surrounded by a world that still largely believes in primitive religious superstition.

I like fairy tales as much as the next guy, but I don't run my life based on them.

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2015, 01:57:26 AM »
Moving house.

Relatedly, the only parties I really enjoy throwing are housewarmings.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
Moving house.

Yes! And I like packing for trips.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
I like doing our taxes. Gives me a good end to another year. 2015 won't really be over, for me, until I file our taxes. Of course, I didn't like it last year because our bank messed up our tax forms and I had to file an amendment from a foreign country without a stable address in any country.

I like reading nonfiction. And reading in general. Something I share with my dad, we're the odd balls within the extended family.

I like cross stitch and hand embroidery. I get a bit ambitious about what I can complete. My project for this Christmas will not be done in time unless I dropped everything else. So next year it is!

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »

Oh, YES! So very much optimization to be done. I often give myself a review after the trip: 'Did I nail it??'

You probably know this great old site - Minimalists, also take note: http://www.onebag.com/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:41:37 PM by Boganvillia »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
I like kipper snacks and sardines! Fish breathhhh.... ;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »

My husband LOVES sardines, and will chase me down to give me kisses after eating them. I, of course, oblige by a- running, b- trying to get him to kiss the dog instead (the dog approves of that idea- mmmmm fish breathhhhh), and c- making noises resembling a tea kettle whistling.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »

Oh, YES! So very much optimization to be done. I often give myself a review after the trip: 'Did I nail it??'

You probably know this great old site - Minimalists, also take note: http://www.onebag.com/

Glad I'm not the only one who debriefs after a trip. Two weeks in France earlier this year, I got away with taking just a backpack. Should have left the dress at home and taken shorts instead, but now I know for next time. Must. Continually. Perfect!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »

My husband LOVES sardines, and will chase me down to give me kisses after eating them. I, of course, oblige by a- running, b- trying to get him to kiss the dog instead (the dog approves of that idea- mmmmm fish breathhhhh), and c- making noises resembling a tea kettle whistling.
Hahah! ngl, part of my enjoyment of them is for the nostalgia. My dad loooved them growing up, but my mom hated the smell like none other and would pretty much only allow him to eat them a certain number of times a year. XD Or, well, she'd just put up a stink (get it?) about it whenever he bought them on his own. Oddly fond memories. :)
I also think folks just have weird and different taste pallets. I also love black licorice, raw cocoa, and other not so delicious sounding things.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
The feeling of warm blood on my frozen hands. Back in the eighties, I lived in a small and isolated Inuit village in the High Arctic and was invited to go hunting with my Inuit friends practically every weekend. The first time I killed an animal and felt the warmth of the still-hot blood of the animal's entrails on my frozen hands, I felt in complete unison with nature.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »

I go to theater by myself all the time.  Plays, not movies.  A good play is like a religious experience for me; I can really lose myself in it.

But I hate to eat out alone :)

I don't have a problem eating alone, per se. But the more people you eat with, the more dishes you can try, and that is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »
Two weeks in France earlier this year, I got away with taking just a backpack.

Kudos! I did three weeks there with 9kg - and even so I jettisoned 2 x long sleeved T shirts which were aggravating me by their uselessness.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
Two weeks in France earlier this year, I got away with taking just a backpack.

Kudos! I did three weeks there with 9kg - and even so I jettisoned 2 x long sleeved T shirts which were aggravating me by their uselessness.

Impressive. (And I love that you weren't afraid to toss what you didn't need.)

When my husband mentioned to his mum that I was only taking a backpack, she assumed I was also lugging over an entire empty suitcase to fill with shopping. I couldn't think of anything worse!

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
Moving house.

Yes! My DH thinks I'm crazy but I love getting ready for trips! I usually pack several weeks in advance.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
I love the smell of ozone

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
I love the smell of ozone

...in the morning? Oh, wait...