Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79378 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
The fashionable late or People that dont follow up with things.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #501 on: January 24, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
I HATE the Peloton commercials.

Every single day hundreds of the same commercial. UGH!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: January 24, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
I bought (4) 10-packs of wooden pencils.

The yellow ones that are ubiquitous.

The lead is broken but cannot be seen so after I sharpen them and use them a little bit the lead falls out because it's already broken.

What's odd is that 3 different brands have the broken lead.

I hate it it when the already broken lead falls out.

It annoys me.

So I threw all of them in the trash bag and bought a 5-pack of mechanical lead pencils.

With them I'm happy.

No more wooden pencils for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:39:35 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: January 24, 2020, 02:43:47 PM »
Things I hate today:

Politics. But that’s no different from any other day.

Overpriced beer. Cigarettes. Morbid obesity. And Lima beans.

I hate mendacious politicians.

Oops!

Is that a redundancy?

When I make  bean soup I'll throw in a a handful of lima beans.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:46:06 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29:56 AM »
I bought (4) 10-packs of wooden pencils.

The yellow ones that are ubiquitous.

The lead is broken but cannot be seen so after I sharpen them and use them a little bit the lead falls out because it's already broken.

What's odd is that 3 different brands have the broken lead.

I hate it it when the already broken lead falls out.

It annoys me.

So I threw all of them in the trash bag and bought a 5-pack of mechanical lead pencils.

With them I'm happy.

No more wooden pencils for me.

Love, love, love my mechanical pencils! I get the really good hard plastic Pentel ones...I have the refill lead and refill erasers!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2020, 07:02:25 AM »

Love, love, love my mechanical pencils! I get the really good hard plastic Pentel ones...I have the refill lead and refill erasers!

Mine have erasers too.

I also have the mechanical pencils architects use.

They use very thick leads that are ~5 " long that can be sharpened to a very fine point.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2020, 01:33:22 PM »
Cooking raw meat. Yuck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #507 on: January 25, 2020, 01:52:48 PM »
Cooking raw meat. Yuck!

You prefer cooking cooked meat?

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: January 25, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
Ok...dealing with raw meat that I am cooking...better?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: January 25, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »

Just get surgical gloves thru walmart or almost anywhere to handle the meat. No biggie.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
Great idea...thx!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2020, 05:59:56 AM »
Right about now, I really hate the coronavirus and having to stock up on non perishable food and disinfectant and face masks (which were sold out, luckily, I have a friend who stocked up and gave us some). And I hate reading the Chinese news of all the people dying and the doctors in Wuhan dying and not having food while working 24/7 to save lives because the food delivery people won’t go near the hospital, and because the doctors themselves are under quarantine and the transportation system is shut down, they can’t go home.  And the major Wuhan hospitals have run out of basic medical supplies like face masks and the kits needed to test for the virus. (Red Cross and Alibaba have reportedly stepped in to make sure the doctors are fed and they are trying to source medical supplies from other parts of China and from medical manufacturers that sell on the Alibaba platform. Alibaba will pay for the goods and ship things for free to the Wuhan hospitals.)

And a coworker just sent a message that people are going through the trash looking for used face masks to resell, so she recommends cutting up the face masks before throwing them away. It’s ridiculous. If I were the swearing kind of person, this would be an appropriate time to break out a few expletives.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »
Right about now, I really hate the coronavirus and having to stock up on non perishable food and disinfectant and face masks (which were sold out, luckily, I have a friend who stocked up and gave us some). And I hate reading the Chinese news of all the people dying and the doctors in Wuhan dying and not having food while working 24/7 to save lives because the food delivery people won’t go near the hospital, and because the doctors themselves are under quarantine and the transportation system is shut down, they can’t go home.  And the major Wuhan hospitals have run out of basic medical supplies like face masks and the kits needed to test for the virus. (Red Cross and Alibaba have reportedly stepped in to make sure the doctors are fed and they are trying to source medical supplies from other parts of China and from medical manufacturers that sell on the Alibaba platform. Alibaba will pay for the goods and ship things for free to the Wuhan hospitals.)

And a coworker just sent a message that people are going through the trash looking for used face masks to resell, so she recommends cutting up the face masks before throwing them away. It’s ridiculous. If I were the swearing kind of person, this would be an appropriate time to break out a few expletives.

Wow that really sucks.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2020, 12:53:51 PM »
On a lighter note I really hate the electric seat mover in my husband's car.  It is slow to begin with and even slower when it's cold out.  A manual one would be much faster and more convenient.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: January 27, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »

Just get surgical gloves thru walmart or almost anywhere to handle the meat. No biggie.

I hate wasting plastic :)

Really though, the meat won't hurt you. I grew up with the notion that raw meat should be handled as if it's poison until it's cooked, but it's not nearly as dangerous as some people would have you believe. Putting on a new pair of gloves every time you touch it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me and gloves with meat juice on them will make your trash stink the next day.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:59:31 AM by Davnasty »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
I do too. Was thinking about looking for something reusable (if such a thing exists (and is safe for food prep).

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
I've seen these, but they seem to be for cleaning. Is there a version for prepping meat that anybody uses?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
Biodegradable looks interesting...I'd prefer re-usable, but that's probably less safe. Thanks!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:01 AM »
people that leave their cars idling while they run in the store.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
People who park on the sidewalk.

Just saw a mom & stroller that had to go into the street to get by. All because someone wants to avoid the low possibility that their car gets sideswiped on the street.
Metal scratches are more important than people? I don't get it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:14:33 PM by GreenToTheCore »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
Biodegradable looks interesting...I'd prefer re-usable, but that's probably less safe. Thanks!
What is the purpose of reusable gloves for preparing meat? Rather than sanitizing a pair of gloves between uses, wouldn't it be easier to just sanitize your hands?

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Of course...if it didn't make me gag to handle it. It's not logical - just something I hate!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
Pharmaceutical commercials, especially the ones with a line like "Don't use [drug name] if you are allergic to [drug name]."

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #525 on: February 04, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
...lists about things I hate...

Just kidding... Someone already used that joke upthread I'm sure....

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
people who are chronically late. disrespectful.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: March 05, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
people who bring their sick kids to work.
there's a sick kid wandering around our office right now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
I don't like it when there's a bike lane, and automobiles drive half in it/half in their own lane.  Yelled at a lady this morning who was sliding into the bike lane I was occupying.  Probably not her fault, it's hard to concentrate on driving while texting with the phone on your lap.  :P

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
I don't like it when there's a bike lane, and automobiles drive half in it/half in their own lane.  Yelled at a lady this morning who was sliding into the bike lane I was occupying.  Probably not her fault, it's hard to concentrate on driving while texting with the phone on your lap.  :P
i see it every day on my way to work. hate it.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #530 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
hate the dipshits driving with phones in their hands and looking at social media at 0600... what the fuckity fuck.. go get a coffee and check your noggin-garbage-feeds while you wait.
and move bitch*, get out the way.

(* refers to males too, i'm an equal opportunity offender)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »
I don't know how many people, with a phone glued to their ear, that I have avoided hitting with my car because they step out to cross the street NOT even looking to see if traffic is coming their way. What is so important that people can't put their phones down while walking or driving?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2021, 04:59:12 AM »
Yesterday, for about 3 1/2 hours there was a kid on a mini motorcycle circling his house a million times. I think he went down the shared driveway and then looped back to drive around the house. The house is two houses away from me but I could see the kid riding around his house. I do not know the neighbors or their name. The kid is a maniac and is disturbing the peace in my neighborhood. Then I ask myself, where are his stupid parents? He is circling THEIR house and they have to be able to hear the constant roaring for hours on end. This racket has got to be bothering the other two neighbors even more than me because they are closer. This happened for the first time last fall. Just one day of the noise, 3-4 hours, then cold weather came and didn't hear any more of this nonsense. Now the weather is warming up and the maniac is back at it.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #533 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
Just read back to the poster complaining about how dogs are 'dangerous' and got a kick out of that.  They are incredibly beneficial to society, if not just being great companions.  Their personalities and tendencies are mostly due to training and upbringing anyway (although breeds tend to exhibit certain traits over other breeds).  Maybe I won the lottery, but I like to think I trained my dog well.  I've never seen another dog that can "read a room" like she can.  She is a very energetic and bouncy 65 lb. ball of fur but so gentle with puppies (and human kids) and senior dogs (and old people).  I specifically taught her the "gentle" command which basically translates to "cool your jets dude".  If other dogs are getting a little feisty/fighting with each other, she stays out of it.  But at the same time she wrestles HARD with other dogs lol, as long as they're into it too.

Thing I hate:  when you're trying to turn right on a red, and some dipshit in the lane beside you keeps creeping out past the stop line into the crosswalk so you can't see traffic around them.  Drives me insane.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #534 on: April 08, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
Yesterday, for about 3 1/2 hours there was a kid on a mini motorcycle circling his house a million times. I think he went down the shared driveway and then looped back to drive around the house. The house is two houses away from me but I could see the kid riding around his house. I do not know the neighbors or their name. The kid is a maniac and is disturbing the peace in my neighborhood. Then I ask myself, where are his stupid parents? He is circling THEIR house and they have to be able to hear the constant roaring for hours on end. This racket has got to be bothering the other two neighbors even more than me because they are closer. This happened for the first time last fall. Just one day of the noise, 3-4 hours, then cold weather came and didn't hear any more of this nonsense. Now the weather is warming up and the maniac is back at it.

We have a guy in our neighborhood that we refer to as "leaf blower guy." Should even a single stray leaf find its way into his perfectly maintained yard, he whips out his gas powdered leaf blower to blast that thing to kingdom come for a few hours. He's out there every weekend day it seems for a few hours blowing stuff around his yard.  He's been out there in the sun, in the rain, even in the snow.  To say that it's irritating is an understatement. 

Karma came for him one day though. I don't know what he is doing, but he had several dump truck loads of dirt/sand delivered into his backyard over the course of several days.  Well one of those days it happened to be raining and his perfect yard was quite saturated.  So much so that one of these huge dump trucks got stuck.  Its wheels spun and spun while the driver tried to get it out, digging trenches in the perfect yard. Then leaf blower guy tried to pull out the dump truck with his half ton truck (comical to say the least) which dug another set of trenches. Eventually a tow truck was called, and that guy had the good sense to winch from the roadway. As the dump truck was slowly dragged out, leaf blower guy was walking behind trying to tamp the remnants of his formerly pristine yard back into place to fill in the trenches.  We watched this happened from our living room window like a sit-com.  It felt to satisfying after listening to that leaf blower for weekends.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: April 08, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »

FindingFI Great story! I have one more story. My next door neighbor has a burn barrel and for years and years burns leaves, branches and I think even tires. It always seems to be a slow smoldering burn so we get the stink and some smoke. So, we can't sit on our deck because it gags us. Recently, in our area, they issued a no burn warning and even for those who have permits. This guy has never had a permit. Anyway, on this particular weekend, the jerk starts to burn in the barrel and he created quite a bit of smoke. Another neighbor called the fire department and volunteers were swarming the area looking for the source of smoke then a fire truck came roaring up burning mans driveway. Well, I think he got caught with his pants around his ankles and I am sure they read him the riot act! I witnessed this whole thing going down! It was such a happy day and I am hoping this put the scare of the devil into him and he won't be burning anymore.

We have a guy in our neighborhood that we refer to as "leaf blower guy." Should even a single stray leaf find its way into his perfectly maintained yard, he whips out his gas powdered leaf blower to blast that thing to kingdom come for a few hours. He's out there every weekend day it seems for a few hours blowing stuff around his yard.  He's been out there in the sun, in the rain, even in the snow.  To say that it's irritating is an understatement. 

Karma came for him one day though. I don't know what he is doing, but he had several dump truck loads of dirt/sand delivered into his backyard over the course of several days.  Well one of those days it happened to be raining and his perfect yard was quite saturated.  So much so that one of these huge dump trucks got stuck.  Its wheels spun and spun while the driver tried to get it out, digging trenches in the perfect yard. Then leaf blower guy tried to pull out the dump truck with his half ton truck (comical to say the least) which dug another set of trenches. Eventually a tow truck was called, and that guy had the good sense to winch from the roadway. As the dump truck was slowly dragged out, leaf blower guy was walking behind trying to tamp the remnants of his formerly pristine yard back into place to fill in the trenches.  We watched this happened from our living room window like a sit-com.  It felt to satisfying after listening to that leaf blower for weekends.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:03:23 AM by Roadrunner53 »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2021, 07:31:06 AM »
Junk fees on your bill.

Like "dial tone"  $7.95  on your monthly landline phone bill. Ummmm, isn't a ****ing dial tone included?   

Or,    $15 fee added to your water bill for "stormwater runoff".  Same question "Ummmmm, isn't that already part of your ****ing job?" Just a money grab.     

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: April 13, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
What city do you live in with the "storm water" runoff?

The EPA was issuing a series of consent decrees on older cities (Cincinnati is an example) mandating that they spend $billions to update combined stormwater/sewer systems. While the goal is laudable, the cost was stratospheric. Cities often had to add a new tax somewhere to raise the money that was needed for this large scale of infrastructure spending. In the example of Cincinnati, a city with an annual budget below $300 million was taking on a project that would cost $3,000 million.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: April 13, 2021, 03:32:29 PM »
What city do you live in with the "storm water" runoff?

The EPA was issuing a series of consent decrees on older cities (Cincinnati is an example) mandating that they spend $billions to update combined stormwater/sewer systems. While the goal is laudable, the cost was stratospheric. Cities often had to add a new tax somewhere to raise the money that was needed for this large scale of infrastructure spending. In the example of Cincinnati, a city with an annual budget below $300 million was taking on a project that would cost $3,000 million.

Don't want to blow my cover by identifying the city. It's a medium size city in one of the midatlantic states. 

A lot of things about this fee gall me.

I have zero runoff from my property. I wish I had runoff, since then maybe I wouldn't have those permanent wet spots in my yard all year. So I get to pay for runoff, which I don't even have. And no, I don't want to spend 20 grand to have my yard regraded, so the wet spots go away, but thanks for the suggestion, in advance.  :) 

They should be taxing new construction, especially the huge new warehouses, with huge parking lots, which is the cause of the problem. Yes, they are taxing them, and at a higher rate than just a fee, but they should pay for all of it. It's the purposeful overdevelopment that is causing the problem. It's a classic case of rich folks causing a problem which the average Joe and Jane taxpayers have to solve for them with higher taxes and/or fees.

The burden should not be put on Joe and Jane Homeowner, most of whom have little to no runoff. And even if they do have significant runoff, it wasn't a problem until the overdevelopment was allowed and encouraged.

City planners allow the overdevelopment and the horrible traffic congestion and downgrade in quality of life, and guess what, your taxes are going up because of it. Yippee !!!

Finally, I had no idea that this fee was in the works. Now I see that the City Council advertised it in a few local papers, and had discussions about it at city council meetings. But everyone was obsessed with the election and missed it.

How hard would it have been to add a line to the quarterly water bill (where the fee will be charged) informing everyone about it their intentions? No, if they did that, there would have been an angry mob at every meeting, protesting. Can't have that, no no. 

Rant mode off. (hey, this is the things we hate thread, no?)  lol.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: April 13, 2021, 03:38:28 PM »
I hate overpriced beer, too. Someone mentioned that before.

But I want to say I like buying craft beer on sale for 50% off, at my local beer store, when it's there.

Just felt like saying something positive after my previous rant, lol.   

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: April 14, 2021, 08:16:23 AM »
Kidney disease in my dog. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #541 on: April 14, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
I hate COVID for all the usual reasons but also because it seems to be affecting some of my work place team making it more difficult to get things done as quickly and efficiently as before.

its probably simple distraction by life but still sometimes its like people are a little bit more befuddled than they were in the past. Not everyone. Just some.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #542 on: April 14, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »
I hate COVID for all the usual reasons but also because it seems to be affecting some of my work place team making it more difficult to get things done as quickly and efficiently as before.

its probably simple distraction by life but still sometimes its like people are a little bit more befuddled than they were in the past. Not everyone. Just some.

About 10% of them maybe?

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/covid-19-long-haulers.html

:P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #543 on: April 14, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »

My dog too. Do you have your dog on prescription dog food? Mine is on Hills KD canned dog food. He was on lamb but now on the chicken stew. He hates dry food. He is doing pretty good at almost 17 1/2 years old!

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: April 14, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »

My dog too. Do you have your dog on prescription dog food? Mine is on Hills KD canned dog food. He was on lamb but now on the chicken stew. He hates dry food. He is doing pretty good at almost 17 1/2 years old!

She was, for about 16 months, but once things really started to go south in January she became super picky about her food.  We are in end days now, so I have given up on any pretext of a special diet and feed her whatever she is inclined to eat, some days that means putting out a smorgasbord of options ranging from fresh fruit, yogurt, chicken etc.  She is only turned 10 two weeks ago, and was first diagnosed due to routine blood work for a dental cleaning 18 months ago. 

My heart is broken. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: April 14, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »

She was, for about 16 months, but once things really started to go south in January she became super picky about her food.  We are in end days now, so I have given up on any pretext of a special diet and feed her whatever she is inclined to eat, some days that means putting out a smorgasbord of options ranging from fresh fruit, yogurt, chicken etc.  She is only turned 10 two weeks ago, and was first diagnosed due to routine blood work for a dental cleaning 18 months ago. 

My heart is broken.

My dog was diagnosed about two years ago but it was so minor, the vet said if they had not used this new test, they wouldn't have even known. I still feed him some meat. He has always been a picky eater his whole life. At his age, I just hope for the best.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog! It is the hardest thing ever. I had a Pomeranian for about 10 years and for the last few years of his life he had cancer. He had 4 surgeries, chemo and was on some horrid cancer drugs that cost a small fortune. I didn't care about the money but nothing helped after a while. We had to put him to sleep last October and I am still heartbroken. He also became a terrible eater and also had to take a ton of pills each day. It was so hard. I rotated his food one day chicken, then beef, hot dogs, hamburger, even fish but after a while he just would eat a little and walk away.

We can rejoice in what they gave us, unconditional love.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #546 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »

My heart is broken.

I hate that you are going through this

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: April 14, 2021, 08:31:52 PM »
I hate this for you, @FIRE Artist.

We have a 16 year old cat currently going through kidney disease. He is doing OK on the KD diet. But the day will come when he won't. Older animals are so sweet.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:16 AM »
Thanks all.  Their lives are so short, it is so hard to accept, even though we bought into the future heart break the day we brought them home. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #549 on: April 19, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »

About 10% of them maybe?

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/covid-19-long-haulers.html

:P

Perhaps. I didn't think of the connection but perhaps...