Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79354 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #250 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
Some people were never exposed to certain things as kids and have never acquired a taste for textures and flavors.

I have a friend who thinks everything is gross but has never tasted what she think she hates. She 'hated' lobster till she was in her 40's until her SO insisted she try lobster. Now she loves it. I think some of us have bad memories of what our mother's cooked that she prepared badly. Not all mothers are gourmet cooks and struggle to make things taste good.

My friend takes after her mother who was also a fuss pot and would never try anything.

When I was a kid I wouldn't eat green veggies. Of course everything came out of a can and was weird and mushy tasting. I developed a skin disorder and parentes brought me to the doctor. The doctor questioned whether I ate green veggies and it was a NO. He said I had to eat them. I had scurvy which compromises your immune system and your body’s ability to heal itself. Little by little I ate my veggies and got better.

I have an open mind on most food, spiders, snakes, bugs, ants, racoons, skunks, possums...NOPE!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: November 11, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »
Some people were never exposed to certain things as kids and have never acquired a taste for textures and flavors.

I have a friend who thinks everything is gross but has never tasted what she think she hates. She 'hated' lobster till she was in her 40's until her SO insisted she try lobster. Now she loves it. I think some of us have bad memories of what our mother's cooked that she prepared badly. Not all mothers are gourmet cooks and struggle to make things taste good.

My friend takes after her mother who was also a fuss pot and would never try anything.

This.

In fact, "people who express disgust and abomination for foods they have never tried" ranks pretty high on my list of things I hate.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

BLT?
I've never actually eaten one, but I'd assume acceptability in the same way as a burger.

Once you've been on the forums for awhile, you notice there's a few posters you seem agree with a lot and you think you have a lot in common-you guys know what I'm talking about. And then all of a sudden they say something like this and you don't know what to think anymore.

Never had a BLT? what?

Find a good tomato, thin slice it if you must.
Toast the bread in a pan with butter, both sides. Thick, chewy white bread is best.
Any lettuce but it should have some crunch.
Mayo, bacon, personally I like to add some green onion and maybe a little avocado.

Do yourself a favor. You won't regret it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »
Hell yeah, BLT rules...must have a big slater of mayo and giant slice of juicy tomato and lots of bacon. Never had it with avacado but I bet it is good!
DROOL...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

BLT?
I've never actually eaten one, but I'd assume acceptability in the same way as a burger.

Once you've been on the forums for awhile, you notice there's a few posters you seem agree with a lot and you think you have a lot in common-you guys know what I'm talking about. And then all of a sudden they say something like this and you don't know what to think anymore.

Never had a BLT? what?

Toast the bread in a pan with butter, both sides. Thick, chewy white bread is best.
Mayo, bacon, personally I like to add some green onion and maybe a little avocado.

I'll have to give it a shot.  Sans mayo, that shit's vile.  Definitely adding green onions and avocado.

When you say thick, chewy bread, do you mean like the kind you'd get separately at the bakery in a grocery store?  Like the kind of thing they probably use at Subway or whatever?

(from a guy who's entire past sandwich repertoire was either burgers or peanut butter sandwiches.  Italian beef a couple times too, but never made it myself.)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: November 12, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »
High horses.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »

BLT?

Never had a BLT? what?

I'll have to give it a shot.  Sans mayo, that shit's vile.  Definitely adding green onions and avocado.

When you say thick, chewy bread, do you mean like the kind you'd get separately at the bakery in a grocery store?  Like the kind of thing they probably use at Subway or whatever?

(from a guy who's entire past sandwich repertoire was either burgers or peanut butter sandwiches.  Italian beef a couple times too, but never made it myself.)

The avocado should fill the role of the mayo if you're one of those people :)

Any plain sliced bread will do but a thick, dense slice will hold up better. If you're not using mayo, it won't be as messy so I wouldn't worry about it.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Neighbors who play loud music late at night.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
Neighbors who play loud music late at night.

Yes! For some reason we had this twice in the last week. Luckily my ear plugs helped sufficiently. DH had to listen to music on his phone to be block it out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »
Logging a software issue with customer support of a product that we use at work. I get a quick answer from a person who is trying to reproduce my steps, but needs more details. I write detailed steps. Get a new email that asks for detailed steps to reproduce.... I really don't know how much I will tolerate to do it even more. I will save it a bit for later this day.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2018, 01:01:34 AM »
Lazy navigation officers who dont mark chart shifts on the track line. It makes running the DR out so fucking irritating.

Additionally, tomatoes are gross. Particularly the small ones that spurt goo into your mouth when you chomp down. Vile.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2018, 06:52:52 AM »
Logging a software issue with customer support of a product that we use at work. I get a quick answer from a person who is trying to reproduce my steps, but needs more details. I write detailed steps. Get a new email that asks for detailed steps to reproduce.... I really don't know how much I will tolerate to do it even more. I will save it a bit for later this day.

I work in software QA at the moment.  When I log a problem now, I record detailed steps in text as bullet points.  For each step I take a screen shot of the step.  If a step has more than one part I take a screen shot of each substep.  If possible I'll take a video capture of the entire action.  Then I write out a detailed 'expected result/observed result' summary.  Yes, it's tedious and takes a long time . . . but I've found that it's still more efficient than ever assuming that the person at the other end is going to understand you.

:P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2018, 08:02:18 AM »
We have a full time neighbor who does the exact same thing. He moved from NY to CT to a fairly rural area and leaves his outside lights on all night long. It shines into my bedroom but I have blinds so it doesn't bother me but amazes me he has so many lights on. He went on a kick for a while and had no lights on but now they are back on again. He seems to forget to turn them off and they are on half the day too! Then I have another neighbor who never has lights on and it makes me wonder how on earth they live over there! Once in a while there are lights on and it is such an oddity and I have to gaze at it! LOL!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

I work in software QA at the moment.  When I log a problem now, I record detailed steps in text as bullet points.  For each step I take a screen shot of the step.  If a step has more than one part I take a screen shot of each substep.  If possible I'll take a video capture of the entire action.  Then I write out a detailed 'expected result/observed result' summary.  Yes, it's tedious and takes a long time . . . but I've found that it's still more efficient than ever assuming that the person at the other end is going to understand you.

This is exactly the bullshit I have to do with a certain software vendor for lab equipment I deal with all the time at work.  Write an outrageously verbose unambiguous explanation of the error like you describe, then compile it into an email and get an answer six weeks later, with a 30% chance the issue will be addressed a year later in their new version of the software that introduces different errors.

If it's not reproducible, I don't even bother.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »

This is exactly the bullshit I have to do with a certain software vendor for lab equipment I deal with all the time at work.  Write an outrageously verbose unambiguous explanation of the error like you describe, then compile it into an email and get an answer six weeks later, with a 30% chance the issue will be addressed a year later in their new version of the software that introduces different errors.

"Works on my computer"

GRRRAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!    :P

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »

"Works on my computer"

GRRRAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!    :P
My favorite ones are where they have hilariously unrealistic expectations about how the software will be used.

Me: Your software doesn't work on 64-bit Windows, and it's 2018.
Vendor: Use 32-bit.
Me: Your software doesn't work on 32-bit Windows 10, and it's 2018.
Vendor: Use Windows 7.
Me: Your software doesn't work on 32-bit Windows 7, and it's 2018.
Vendor: Try XP.
Me: ...
(That worked.  I dug out a piece of crap old XP laptop and threw the brand new laptop we bought for this purpose in a drawer. Gah. Turns out their "new" software literally relies on 16-bit DLLs with a "last modified" date of 1994.)

Me: Your software gives goofy results if you load it up on a machine other than the one the data was collected on.
Vendor: Don't do that.  Why do you have more than one computer in your 50-user business, what's wrong with you?

Me: Your "21 CFR Part 11 compliant" software crashes if we try to save to a network location with permissions in compliance with 21 CFR Part 11.
Vendor: Don't use a network drive.
Me: Your "21 CFR Part 11 compliant" software crashes if we try to save to a local drive with permissions in compliance with 21 CFR Part 11.
Vendor: Loosen up the permissions.  Give all users delete rights and local admin access.

Me: If a user clicks print and selects a different record afterwards, it prints that one instead.
Vendor: Don't do that.
(This one was at least badly fixed in the next version.)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »

This.

In fact, "people who express disgust and abomination for foods they have never tried" ranks pretty high on my list of things I hate.

+1  I can accept somebody not liking a flavor or texture, but I can't stand people that either won't try a food or try it with no intent to give it a fair chance. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »
Yes, agree. Food isn't always something that you like the first time. Just like babies, not all foods are liked the first try but after several times flavors and textures become more tolerant. Refusing to try and declaring it is gross and they hate it does not makes sense.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
I do not accept "texture" as a reason not to like something.  Flavour, sure . . . but everything turns to mush after you chew it anyway.  There are zero foods that I avoid because of texture.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
Okra is something I have only eaten a few times in gumbo and that texture is pretty gross and slimy. That is one food I would avoid. I don't recall it having any flavor either.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »
I do not accept "texture" as a reason not to like something.  Flavour, sure . . . but everything turns to mush after you chew it anyway.  There are zero foods that I avoid because of texture.
I would normally agree with this... but try making chicken or turkey soup in a blender. It doesn't taste too bad, but it sticks to your teeth and the roof of your mouth, ugh.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »
Then take a nice long sip of olive oil and let me know what you think. :P

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
Yes, agree. Food isn't always something that you like the first time. Just like babies, not all foods are liked the first try but after several times flavors and textures become more tolerant. Refusing to try and declaring it is gross and they hate it does not makes sense.

Exactly.

I've always been a reasonably adventurous eater (and would today say I am very adventurous) and there are foods that I love now that I used to hate.

Case in point: blue cheese. The story of how I learned to love it is an object lesson to me to always try things more than once. I lived and worked in France for a couple of years in my mid-twenties, and though I loved most kinds of cheese, I could not abide blue cheese. I had a teaching job at a university, and my boss scheduled weekly lunches with me and another colleague to talk about the classes we were teaching. Well, these meetings were at noon on Fridays, and my schedule on those days were four classes back to back at 8, 9, 10, and 11. So, by noon, I was starving and also didn't have a lot of time before my next class, so my boss decided to help me out by buying our lunches and getting a table for us so as to not waste time.

Well, one Friday, he bought us roquefort sandwiches. Roquefort cheese on a baguette. That's it.

I was horrified, but: a) I certainly did not want to act like a picky baby in front of my boss; and b) I was famished. So, I just took the sandwich, forced myself to eat it, and tried to put it behind me.

Except that next week, he did the same thing. Stupid me, because I never told him I didn't like roquefort. Once again, I forced myself to choke it down, and mentally berated myself for not being up-front last week.

Funny thing happened, though. The third time my boss bought us roquefort sandwiches, I kinda liked it. And today, blue cheeses of all kinds are among my very favorite cheeses -- roquefort in particular is easily in my top five. So, the moral of the story for me is, food ought to be appreciated for its uniqueness, and food that is "strange" might just take some time to get used to. And often, taking that time is very much worth it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »

I've taken shots of olive oil in the morning as an appetite suppressant when cutting weight for wrestling.  Nothing wrong with the texture, but the taste is very strong and seems to cling to your mouth for ages.  I found that you have to chase it with cream or milk to cleanse your palette.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »

I've taken shots of olive oil in the morning as an appetite suppressant when cutting weight for wrestling.  Nothing wrong with the texture, but the taste is very strong and seems to cling to your mouth for ages.  I found that you have to chase it with cream or milk to cleanse your palette.

Clings to your mouth?  Why?  Due to some kind of texture that you don't enjoy, perhaps?

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
Okra is something I have only eaten a few times in gumbo and that texture is pretty gross and slimy. That is one food I would avoid. I don't recall it having any flavor either.
The only way to eat okra is fried.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
Just about anything fried is delicious!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »

Clings to your mouth?  Why?  Due to some kind of texture that you don't enjoy, perhaps?

No, it's just that it's oil.  The saliva in your mouth doesn't wash it away.  You need something with some fat content to do it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »

No, it's just that it's oil.  The saliva in your mouth doesn't wash it away.  You need something with some fat content to do it.
Now I'm just being an ass, but clearly it's the oily texture of the oil that's the problem. :P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2018, 03:40:23 PM »

Now I'm just being an ass, but clearly it's the oily texture of the oil that's the problem. :P

But if it tasted good, I wouldn't care about it hanging around in my mouth for longer.  Natural peanut butter gets stuck in my mouth and is hard to wash away too, but I like the flavour so it doesn't bug me.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
You know when you're sick with all kinds of chest congestion and cough up a bunk of junk. That is the texture of raw oysters. For me, texture is as much a characteristic of a food as flavor, and there are some that are revolting. But cooked oysters, clams and mussels are delightful!

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:40 AM »
olive oil is fine for keto or weight loss, but try the MCT oil you can get these days.  it's completely flavorless and goes down like water.

(medium chain triglycerides)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
how can olive oil or mct oil help with weight loss? Oil has calories!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

I found that it made me uninterested in eating more food (thanks to it being gross tasting), and also kept me full for a long time.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
MCT oil is known for satiety/appetite suppression too.  GF has used it in coffee sometimes, usually when traveling.  Sure, it has calories, all food does, but the benefits outweigh the costs for some people in some use cases.  GF is 77lbs lighter than she was a year ago, and she's consumed plenty of oils along the way.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
Yes! Tastes can definitely change. I love all sorts of things that I used to hate. I often ask picky (adult) eaters if they adored the taste of coffee or beer the very first time they took a sip.

Apparently there are also studies that show that you tend to crave later what you eat now. Or at least not hate it so much. Seems to have a lot to do with your microbiome, which can adjust rapidly.

I listened to a podcast that discussed getting kids used to new foods that they don't initially like by having them eat a pea-sized bite of the food every day for a week or two, with a non-food reward at the end of that time. Just that amount is enough to get the gut bacteria going, "Hey, maybe this stuff is okay after all." Then that information gets passed along to the taste buds, which decide maybe it actually does taste pretty good. I think where a lot of parents screw up (including mine, and I'm sure I would have, too, if I had kids) is by forcing kids to eat, say, a big pile of cooked spinach.

More directly on topic... I hate beets. I've tried them a zillion different ways, and I just can't get past the fact that they taste the way dirt smells. Maybe I need to treat myself like a kid and eat a tiny pea-sized bite every day for two weeks. :-)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
Yes! Tastes can definitely change. I love all sorts of things that I used to hate. I often ask picky (adult) eaters if they adored the taste of coffee or beer the very first time they took a sip.

Apparently there are also studies that show that you tend to crave later what you eat now. Or at least not hate it so much. Seems to have a lot to do with your microbiome, which can adjust rapidly.

I listened to a podcast that discussed getting kids used to new foods that they don't initially like by having them eat a pea-sized bite of the food every day for a week or two, with a non-food reward at the end of that time. Just that amount is enough to get the gut bacteria going, "Hey, maybe this stuff is okay after all." Then that information gets passed along to the taste buds, which decide maybe it actually does taste pretty good. I think where a lot of parents screw up (including mine, and I'm sure I would have, too, if I had kids) is by forcing kids to eat, say, a big pile of cooked spinach.

More directly on topic... I hate beets. I've tried them a zillion different ways, and I just can't get past the fact that they taste the way dirt smells. Maybe I need to treat myself like a kid and eat a tiny pea-sized bite every day for two weeks. :-)

Ha! I used to despise them. And then one day about 8-10 years ago, there happened to be beets in something I ate and I thought, "hmmm, these aren't as revolting as I remember!"

Now? Borscht, beet salad.... MMMMMMM!!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Yes, beets always taste like dirt any way that they're prepared.  I am only able to choke them down because it makes me giggle to see red pee four or five hours later.  (Also they're pretty good for you.)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2018, 12:14:22 PM »

I'm not sure what my parents could have done differently, but I was a mess in this department.

As a kid, I was incredibly stubborn about food.  I don't know exactly when it started, but as long ago as I can remember (at the very least going back to kindergarten/first grade), 95+% of what I ate was Cheerios, Wheat Chex, skim milk, apple juice, apple sauce, peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly), or pasta with ketchup.  The other <5% was occasional things like "snacky" food (candy, individual fruit, etc.), pancakes, french fries, hot dogs, or burgers from McDonald's (and burgers from nowhere else).  If a restaurant didn't have pancakes or a hot dog and fries as an option, I basically wouldn't eat there, so I did very very little eating out (that part was a plus, at least, though limiting socially and for family events, which were often just me sitting there with an empty plate or a peanut butter sandwich brought from home).

My parents tried.  Sometime around age 8 I at least remember specific times where they'd want me to try "just a bite" of some "new food" every day with my boring dinner.  I either refused, choked it down talking about how gross it was, or spit it out (I honestly don't remember the distribution there) for enough days in a row that they gave up. I'm sure there were other attempts along the way, but at some point they basically just let me do my own thing.  I prepared (obviously there wasn't much to it beyond putting sandwiches together and boiling water for pasta) all of my own food pretty much from age 10 on as a result.  I took a multivitamin every day.  Maybe that helped.

This continued for quite a while. 

My first sign of progress was at age 19 (yup).  I was spending a weekend with some friends in Wisconsin, and we went to Famous Dave's, and I ate a burger from Famous Dave's.  That sounds like a pretty pathetic kind of progress, but it was indeed a big step for me.  My first ever burger from somewhere other than McDonald's.  And I actually enjoyed it.  The only reason this happened was social pressure (not deliberate on their part - I had met most of these people online and was meeting them for the first time in-person and most of them as a result had no idea about my food issues).

The about a year and a half later (age 20) I had another breakthrough when I was going to meet my now-GF for steak and eggs at her favorite restaurant near her.  I asked my dad about it and he leaped at the opportunity to cook steak and eggs for me.  I had it well-done and with ketchup (I've since atoned for this), but I enjoyed it, never having eaten it ever before.

At 21, we bought our first house and lived with GF's sister and GF's sister's boyfriend.  Naturally, my life changed a lot.  The four of us would often cook together, and while at first it was me standing around while they cooked, I eventually started figuring stuff out.  I'd still make peanut butter sandwiches and pasta with ketchup quite a lot for myself, but I ate more and more with them, going from eggs to bacon and eggs to breakfast burritos to baked potatoes to meatloaf to actual fucking vegetables.  Later that year, I read some of books and did a lot of research into healthy eating for the first time, making me want to actually be the one to take initiative and try lots of new foods for health reasons.

And sometime at 22, I had my last peanut butter or pasta filled week, switching entirely to eating real food.  I became the primary cook in the household.  Since that fall, GF and I have been eating what I'll call "vegetable-heavy paleoish" and things have been great.  Now there are literally no foods I'm not at least open to trying (I have preferences of course), with the sole exception of anything cheese-based (sorry, still gross if it's present enough that I can taste or smell it - small doses of shredded mixed into something can be ok).

So tl;dr: factors that went into fixing my stubborn/picky eating habits:
I grew the fuck up.
Social pressure from friends unaware of my issues.
A woman.
Learning about healthy eating.
Cooking my own food.

It's possible my parents could have inspired some of it had they done things differently, but I really have no idea what could have worked.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Wow. I gave you a hard time for never having eaten a BLT... I had no idea.

Does the idea of pasta with ketchup still sound appealing to you or have your tastes completely flipped?

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
I love that your username is ketchup. Was that a nickname in school? It would have been if you went to my school!  ;-)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »

Does the idea of pasta with ketchup still sound appealing to you or have your tastes completely flipped?
It still sounds appealing from the easy-as-fuck-and-a-box-of-pasta-is-$1 perspective, but I'll only do that these days if I'm in super lazy bachelor-chow mode when GF is out of town for like a week.  I've had it maybe ten times total in the past five years now.  Physically, it doesn't make me feel awesome.
I love that your username is ketchup. Was that a nickname in school? It would have been if you went to my school!  ;-)
I've used it or variants of it as my online handle since well before my high ketchup consumption ended. :P

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
the smell of patchouli oil is like ancient death - probably how King Tut's tomb smelled when it was first opened

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2018, 01:29:48 AM »

It still sounds appealing from the easy-as-fuck-and-a-box-of-pasta-is-$1 perspective, but I'll only do that these days if I'm in super lazy bachelor-chow mode when GF is out of town for like a week.  I've had it maybe ten times total in the past five years now.  Physically, it doesn't make me feel awesome.

As a child I grew up with a dish: macaroni with ham and cheese. We could add ketchup to that on our plate. This was my mother's easiest dish. I think we ate it once every 1 or 2 weeks. As an adult I have never eaten it, because of the lack of vegetables. But tonight I am home alone and I have a chunk of ham in the fridge. I might just for once do something silly and eat this. Maybe I'll fry some of my dried mushrooms to go with it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2018, 04:05:22 AM »
I hate touching the refrigerator and freezer handles in the grocery store. Plus, the other day I was in the grocery store and so many people were coughing with colds or worse yet maybe the flu! If I have a long sleeve stretchy shirt on I will pull it over my fingers to open the doors to the refrigerators and freezers! GROSS!

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »

I found that it made me uninterested in eating more food (thanks to it being gross tasting), and also kept me full for a long time.

agree with that and i'll add that mct are highly available to your body as fuel.  your body doesn't have to do much or anything to process/digest them before they can be used, therefore you get a very quick boost that satisfies your energy requirements and kills the hunger pang.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:42 AM »
CATALOGS!!!!!

Good LORD, I cannot believe how many catalogs show up in my mailbox. I am not even a big consumer. I meticulously go online and submit requests to be removed from people's mailing lists -- several times a week, it seems -- but since businesses so routinely sell their lists to one another, there are days when I feel like I'll never, ever get to the end of it.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
It's possible my parents could have inspired some of it had they done things differently, but I really have no idea what could have worked.

I'm no parenting expert (far from it), but it seems that the "This is what we're eating, and you will eat it too, if you're hungry" approach tends to work for kids. I mean, you don't see kids in third world countries starving to death because they don't like whatever awful food happens to be available.

Which leads me to... I hate the fact that our culture has become one of constant eating. I love food, but I really try to eat only when hungry and not use food as entertainment. The average American's day is pretty much one giant meal occasionally interrupted by an activity. We're surrounded by food, smells of food, discussions of food, and photos of food in ads. I've actually had to explain to people that they will be just fine if their next meal is delayed by a few hours. It won't do any physical harm! People panic when they start to feel real hunger because they're not used to feeling it and think something must be going very wrong!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
CATALOGS!!!!!

Good LORD, I cannot believe how many catalogs show up in my mailbox. I am not even a big consumer. I meticulously go online and submit requests to be removed from people's mailing lists -- several times a week, it seems -- but since businesses so routinely sell their lists to one another, there are days when I feel like I'll never, ever get to the end of it.

Not just catalogues.  Junk mail of all kind always makes me kinda angry.  I pick up my mail, go through all the stuff that's not addressed to me, and dump it straight in the recycle bin.  Then I go through the stuff that's addressed to me and dump all the ads straight in the recycle bin.  It's incredibly wasteful.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »
The old saying:

You have two choices for dinner

1. Take it
2. Or leave it