Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79347 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
Celery

+1

+2

why does celery exist? And why do people pay money for it?

You people are monsters.  Celery with the little trench stuffed with peanut butter is one of the highlights of gourmet flavour.

EWWW NO.  Celery is fowl.  I'd be hesitant to even put it in my compost for fear it would contaminate my garden. 

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2018, 11:11:11 AM »
Cooked celery in chicken noodle soup is quite delicious. Raw celery is even worse than raw carrots, which are awful. Raisins are delightful, and I enjoy them immensely, mostly in trail mix or cooked in my oatmeal. Fruitcake is not food, so I feel no compulsion to comment upon its flavor.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
Celery

+1

+2

You people are monsters.  Celery with the little trench stuffed with peanut butter is one of the highlights of gourmet flavour.

EWWW NO.  Celery is fowl.  I'd be hesitant to even put it in my compost for fear it would contaminate my garden.

Celery is vegetable, not fowl.

:P

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
Celery is OK if it has cheez whiz on it. Why yes, yes I am a child of the 50s and 60s.  : )

Brussels sprouts are the worst thing ever.  I've refused to eat them since I left home over 40 years ago.  Don't tell me they're wonderful roasted, or buttered, or whatever.  Nope.  Awful.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
this will be controversial, but it's true:
i fucking LOVE fruitcake.  and i HATE bread pudding if it doesn't have raisins in it!  it must have raisins or it's shit.

No, you are exactly wrong.

Fruitcake is disgusting. Bread pudding is good ONLY if it does NOT have raisins in it.

Fight me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:28:48 PM by Kris »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »
i fucking LOVE fruitcake.  and i HATE bread pudding if it doesn't have raisins in it!  it must have raisins or it's shit.
Fruitcake is disgusting.

Maybe you aren't using enough rum? You'd be surprised how much rum a fruitcake can hold. They're like little rum sponges.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
While we're still on the topic of foods I'll say:
All this discussion of celery is actually giving me the chills.  I hate it so much.  I do use it for vegetable stock, but ONLY because it's so dang cheap.
Brussel Sprouts are so good.. they're in my top ten.  Sorry.

Here's a controversial one for this time of the year:  I hate pumpkin and I hate squash.  They are mush.  They are half sweet, but not sweet enough to be delicious sweet.  The smell of pumpkin sometimes makes me gag. 
Actually, I hate 'Thanksgiving' food.  All of it. 
My birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving and those were the worst ones. 
I hate: mashed potatoes, gravy, that red thing (cranberry sauce?), turkey, squash, pumpkin pie, green bean casserole, ALL OF IT.  THROW IT IN THE RIVER. 

Yeah, I said it.

:::BLECH:::

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
All this discussion of celery is actually giving me the chills.  I hate it so much.  I do use it for vegetable stock, but ONLY because it's so dang cheap.

Here's a controversial one for this time of the year:  I hate pumpkin and I hate squash.  They are mush.  They are half sweet, but not sweet enough to be delicious sweet.  The smell of pumpkin sometimes makes me gag. 
I hate: mashed potatoes, gravy, that red thing (cranberry sauce?), turkey, squash, pumpkin pie, green bean casserole, ALL OF IT.  THROW IT IN THE RIVER. 

Yeah, I said it.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
Ummm WHAT?? *SIPS PSL*

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
Fruitcake is disgusting.

Maybe you aren't using enough rum? You'd be surprised how much rum a fruitcake can hold. They're like little rum sponges.

You know what else holds a lot of rum?

A glass. Filled with rum.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
Fruitcake is disgusting.

You know what else holds a lot of rum?

A glass. Filled with rum.

Interesting, I'm gonna go try that. Can I use a little celery as a garnish?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »
I totally hated pumpkin, especially in pie (waste of a pie crust if you ask me) but my SO recently decided to bake a pumpkin in the oven. She then scraped the innerds (left the "skin") and pureed it. Effing amazing stuff! Nothing required in terms of flavoring, no spices, no sugar, no salt. Had a buttery squashy flavor and more texture than a true puree. Made pumpkin bread with it and not sickly sugared frosting, but pecans on top. My new favorite thing. I encourage pumpkin haters to play around with em after Halloween.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2018, 04:30:09 AM »
My husband use to despise anchovies. I always loved them on pizza. There was a Rachael Ray recipe that instructed you to add olive oil and anchovies in the pot and sauté them with garlic. You then add hot Italian sliced sausage and sauté them adding more oil. Then you add cooked rigatoni to all of that then baby spinach. More oil if needed. He decided that anchovies are okay! Lately I have been making a Caesar salad with anchovy strips over the top and shredded parmesan cheese. He thinks that is great. So I have totally turned his anchovy hatred around! Now he wants anchovies on pizza too!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:04 AM »
I sometimes hate having too much choice. I desperately feel the need to always buy the best value for money product and too much choice takes a lot of time to compare the different products.

Currently I am spending way too much time on choosing a new phone. But earlier I have experienced the same feeling when seeing 20 different tomatoes in a grocery shop.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:19 AM »
i hate halloween.
i love thanksgiving because of the food.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »
Anchovies are my secret ingredient in sauteed spinach.  Along with pine nuts and sesame seeds.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2018, 06:52:19 AM »

Yeah, I said it.

You didn't mention the ONLY Thanksgiving food that I DON'T like: Stuffing (or dressing, depending on your region). Disgusting. But everything else...mmmmm.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
Anchovies are my secret ingredient in sauteed spinach.  Along with pine nuts and sesame seeds.

I am actually seeking MORE recipes using anchovies! I think they are addicting!

Spinach/anchovies sounds good! I have a whole bag of baby spinach in the fridge!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »
Celery

+1

+2

Celery is vegetable, not fowl.

Celery is not a vegetable any more than poison ivy greens. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Coconuts. The flavor is not good, the texture is terrible. I can eat most anything but its the one thing I put my foot down about.

Linda in Norway: avoid the review articles about phones. I found that they nitpicked details no normal person would worry about. Same as the car magazine articles about new cars. The article is a blend of the manufacturer's press release (the positives) and then perhaps one or two nit picky negative opinions that the writer relies on to prove that they are being objective.

If you want an Android device look at the Asus Zenfone series. I bought an older version 3. Its been great. Nice camera and display, good free apps from the manufacturer, long battery life, etc.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
Coconuts. The flavor is not good, the texture is terrible. I can eat most anything but its the one thing I put my foot down about.

Linda in Norway: avoid the review articles about phones. I found that they nitpicked details no normal person would worry about. Same as the car magazine articles about new cars. The article is a blend of the manufacturer's press release (the positives) and then perhaps one or two nit picky negative opinions that the writer relies on to prove that they are being objective.

If you want an Android device look at the Asus Zenfone series. I bought an older version 3. Its been great. Nice camera and display, good free apps from the manufacturer, long battery life, etc.

These are so frustrating. "Wellll, I really don't like the way you can see finger smudges on the metal backing so there's definitely some cons... but here's 17 AMAZING things about this phone!"

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »

These are so frustrating. "Wellll, I really don't like the way you can see finger smudges on the metal backing so there's definitely some cons... but here's 17 AMAZING things about this phone!"

Fun Fact: When you find one of those reviews that has one very miniscule negative point and then multiple positive points, it is likely a paid review.  They write them that way so as not to catch Amazon/Ebay/Whatevers attention but to still provide a ranking boost for the company who is paying them.

Maybe you were already saying this and I lost it in the thread, but I just thought I'd mention that.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »

Fun Fact: When you find one of those reviews that has one very miniscule negative point and then multiple positive points, it is likely a paid review.  They write them that way so as not to catch Amazon/Ebay/Whatevers attention but to still provide a ranking boost for the company who is paying them.

Maybe you were already saying this and I lost it in the thread, but I just thought I'd mention that.

I think we were talking about reviews in article or video format, but yes, this tactic can be found in Amazon reviews as well. No one is safe.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
I hate kale.  Who decided that kale was the next big thing?  I like most of the other greens, just not kale.  Chard is probably my fave.  Kale sucks.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
I hate it when you call a company and they keep calling you by your first name. After you tell them your complaint or whatever they repeat what you said back and first say So this is what you said Olive...Now Olive, can you give me your address...Olive is this the correct address, let me repeat it back to you...Olive, our product is meant to be used...Olive, where did you buy the product...Olive, can you give me the bar code on the box...ACKKKKKKK

OMG! Just drive me to the nuthouse!

How stupid can you get! Can't they just ask the questions without saying your first name a thousand times?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
I hate it when you call a company and they keep calling you by your first name. After you tell them your complaint or whatever they repeat what you said back and first say So this is what you said Olive...Now Olive, can you give me your address...Olive is this the correct address, let me repeat it back to you...Olive, our product is meant to be used...Olive, where did you buy the product...Olive, can you give me the bar code on the box...ACKKKKKKK

OMG! Just drive me to the nuthouse!

How stupid can you get! Can't they just ask the questions without saying your first name a thousand times?
I bet they are trained to do that. Probably some bullshit about creating rapport with the client or something. Super annoying though, especially for me because they never pronounce my name right.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
Yes, I am sure they are trained like monkeys to do that routine. If anyone watched Young Sheldon (TV show) he was trying to learn how to make friends and found a book that specifically told the reader to say the person's name a lot. Hahaha!

Stuff like that is just so unnecessary and annoying! The cashier at the grocery store drove me nuts with her crazy conversation last week. She kept asking me if she was doing okay and was I pleased with her and what she was doing. OMG, She was slow, slow, slow and beyond gabby with stupid gibberish. I just about screamed and ran out the door. I bought some shower nylon scrubbies and she was picking them up by the string like EWWWW and telling me to wash them because they had germs from people touching them and being dropped on the floor. She kept asking me a million questions on how she was packing the groceries. NOOOOO!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:38:05 AM by Roadrunner53 »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
I rarely go to Whole Foods, but occasionally I need something I can't find elsewhere. I assume it's some sort of corporate rule, because in two different states now, the cashiers have asked me if I "have any fun plans for today/tonight/this weekend." Typically it's just a regular day for me, so no, I don't. I almost feel like I should make something up! "The Queen is coming to dinner" or "Yes, I'm so excited to go home and organize my sock drawer!" I understand they're trying to be friendly, but it feels like prying. "Hello" would be sufficient.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »
I rarely go to Whole Foods, but occasionally I need something I can't find elsewhere. I assume it's some sort of corporate rule, because in two different states now, the cashiers have asked me if I "have any fun plans for today/tonight/this weekend." Typically it's just a regular day for me, so no, I don't. I almost feel like I should make something up! "The Queen is coming to dinner" or "Yes, I'm so excited to go home and organize my sock drawer!" I understand they're trying to be friendly, but it feels like prying. "Hello" would be sufficient.

You could try the response I would use:

"Nope."

99.9% effective . . . 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »
I hate standing in the baking aisle at the grocery store minding my own business and looking at vanilla extract only to be interrupted by someone walking past saying "Jesus loves you."  Uh, fine bro, you do you, but why was that necessary?

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure a mistranslation is responsible for water chestnuts being considered a food item.

And for the record: Celery is good. Celery with peanut butter is great. Celery with peanut butter and raisins is terrible. It takes all kinds.

I hate vandals. I also hate thieves but at least I understand the motivation. People who just destroy other peoples' perfectly good stuff for fun deserve all kinds of misery.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:01:13 PM by Samuel »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
I hate standing in the baking aisle at the grocery store minding my own business and looking at vanilla extract only to be interrupted by someone walking past saying "Jesus loves you."  Uh, fine bro, you do you, but why was that necessary?

Respond with 'Salaam Alaikum'.
1 - It's a nice thing to say
2 - It's likely to piss off the sort of person who would say 'Jesus loves you' at people for aggressively dickish reasons

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
I rarely go to Whole Foods, but occasionally I need something I can't find elsewhere. I assume it's some sort of corporate rule, because in two different states now, the cashiers have asked me if I "have any fun plans for today/tonight/this weekend."

That's so weird. I've shopped at Whole Foods probably 500+ times and no one ever asked me that! Maybe you just look like you have a lot of fun (or maybe I look like I don't).

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

I have never experienced this at Whole Foods, but a chain of coffee places "Dutch Bros" does this and it is so annoying to me! It's a drive through coffee place, and while you're waiting for your coffee, some ultra-chipper college kid is like "what exciting things do you have going on today! where'd you come from, where are you going"?" it always catches me way off guard, I just hate random small talk like that. Thankfully I visit this place about 2 times a year, but I am always grumpily reminded of how annoying I find it when I go.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure a mistranslation is responsible for water chestnuts being considered a food item.

And for the record: Celery is good. Celery with peanut butter is great. Celery with peanut butter and raisins is terrible. It takes all kinds.

I feel like the universe is playing some kind of funny trick right now...  I’m one of those people from above who hate celery aggressively ... aaaand, also water chestnuts are my favorite food.
What
Is
Happening

I hate vandals. I also hate thieves but at least I understand the motivation. People who just destroy other peoples' perfectly good stuff for fun deserve all kinds of misery.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2018, 05:22:42 AM »
I hate it when I am trying to read an on line paper and these damn pop ups keep interrupting me! STUPID advertisements. I will never to go to the restaurants that pop up. Or when they force you to watch an advertisement for 30 seconds before you can 'skip' out of it! I refuse to watch it! STUPID!

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
Water chestnuts and coconut have the same texture as Styrofoam. I can't do it. Gross.

Something that drives me bonkers is spelling out abbreviates, but not with the words the abbreviations originally shortened. Examples: DJ spelled as deejay, when it really means disk jockey and MC spelled as emcee which is really  master of ceremonies.  Why are you making up words?! Could also just be the wedding planning PTSD talking...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2018, 07:20:08 AM »
Water chestnuts and coconut have the same texture as Styrofoam. I can't do it. Gross.

Something that drives me bonkers is spelling out abbreviates, but not with the words the abbreviations originally shortened. Examples: DJ spelled as deejay, when it really means disk jockey and MC spelled as emcee which is really  master of ceremonies.  Why are you making up words?! Could also just be the wedding planning PTSD talking...

You mean pee tee ess dee?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
I hate it when I am trying to read an on line paper and these damn pop ups keep interrupting me! STUPID advertisements. I will never to go to the restaurants that pop up. Or when they force you to watch an advertisement for 30 seconds before you can 'skip' out of it! I refuse to watch it! STUPID!

Install a popup blocker in your browser.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
JUUL’s. And the jerks that claim that they are for helping smokers. Just ask my junior high child and his friends

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
Oh, and I hate rum raisin ice cream. What spawn of Satan came up with that flavor???

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
I know that this is not a popular one but Reece's Peanut Butter cups.  Bleugh.  And rum raisin ice cream - that is just gross.  Also fig newtons.

EricL

« Reply #242 on: November 10, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: November 10, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
Raw onions. All of them.

White and yellow onions I dislike but can tolerate somewhat. Green onions have a gritty texture and taste like dirt, so again unpleasant but tolerable. Red onions are a gift to humanity from Satan.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
I hate putting things into perspective and relaxing. Fuck that shit is so annoying.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: November 11, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

BLT?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: November 11, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »
Sorry, but I love raw tomatoes and there is nothing more wonderful than to pick a fresh tomato off the vine, bring a salt shaker and eat it like an apple! Drooling! But I hate it when they get worm holes or black bottoms while growing.

EricL

« Reply #248 on: November 11, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
Sorry, but I love raw tomatoes and there is nothing more wonderful than to pick a fresh tomato off the vine, bring a salt shaker and eat it like an apple! Drooling! But I hate it when they get worm holes or black bottoms while growing.

It’s a slightly unusual thing to dislike. Most people are OK with or even like tomatoes. Even store bought ones. 

I’m not one of them though.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »

BLT?
I've never actually eaten one, but I'd assume acceptability in the same way as a burger.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!