Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79352 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Things you hate
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
I am despising shipping methods. I am trying to organize my house and I have been purchasing some different type of organizers. Some of the stuff is taking two weeks or more to get here. Some come directly from China and that takes weeks and weeks. This Smart Post delivery is the worst. By the time I get the items I have kind of forgotten what I bought them for. I did tracking on some of my packages and they made around 15 stops to get to CT. Seems we are going backwards in delivery service instead of forward. Like the stuff is coming by mule train. If companies use the Post Office I find the items arrive very quickly. Any other method is so slow!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:21:43 PM »
This seems like a weird thing to complain about. I can get almost anything I can imagine shipped directly to my door in 2 days! That's amazing!

The advantage to buying stuff directly from China is that it's usually cheaper. The disadvantage is that it can take a couple weeks to get it. Seems reasonable to me. And if you've forgotten what you needed something for two weeks after you ordered it, you don't need it.

What I do hate is stuff that gets shipped in excessively large packaging. Target is the worst about that. Like I'll buy a box of diapers and they'll put it inside another box that's twice as large and stuff the other half with plastic. I've been trying to cut down my online shopping primarily for that reason.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
Celery

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
Celery

This made me crack up for some reason.

Re:shipped goods - I hate when my order is completely wrong or damaged. I ordered some outdoor apparel and after hours of browsing to find what I was looking for, and waiting a week for it to arrive, the items came with holes and snags! Now I have to go through the hassle of sending it back, more research, and more waiting. I guess it's not THAT BIG of a hassle but still!

A different company sent me the wrong item entirely but my package slip was itemized with my intended order so I'm left in this limbo of keeping said item or dealing with a potential hassle with claims/customer service. The price difference was even quite substantial at $12 vs $80!

Sigh.

ETA: I guess I really hate hassles. And now the word has lost meaning since I've said it so many times. ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:57:54 PM by Free Spirit »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Goatheads. Enough to make a guy spit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

Ouch. And I hate prickly pear glochids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

An hour with tweezers and another few days for the last of them to fall out.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
Things I hate today:
Having to answer the phone waiting for job interviews and seems like 90% of these calls are either telemarketers, scammers, or pollsters...

Seems like my favorite cartoons are being destroyed. Rocky and Bullwinkle is a disaster, DuckTales is now unwatchable.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
If we're keeping it to petty things only: I hate that I have yet to settle on a work bag that I really like, but refuse to buy more.

If we're expanding to bigger issues in our lives: I hate that my volunteering has me stretched too thin, and I don't feel like I can resposibly drop any of it yet.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
Mobius strips. More of a love hate but they make my head hurt.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
mosquitos, cockroaches, coworker drama - all about equally

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
1.telemarketers
2. plastic shopping bags!!! Every time I step into the woods or get out on a stream I find a F^&*(^ wal-mart bag!!!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
Any kind of marketing that wastes my time.

If I am watching TV, I am already kind of wasting time, so whatever. Since I am currently watching things on the PBS app, they are short and to the point, anyway. But if the mail says "Important account information" from a place I have an account at, and turns out to be an ad? I want to sue for fraud and I have never sued anyone in my life. Telemarketers? I want to sue for harassment. THIS IS MY PHONE AND MY TIME STOP JUST STOP.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
The questions on some of these job applications are driving me crazy.  They are so dumb, I'm beginning to wonder if they are trick questions or something.  45 variations of "Will you be a good employee?"  Sample:

I never feel upset if things do not go my way.
Very strongly agree, I'm a robot!

And then there is stuff like this that confuses me.  There are 5 levels going from strongly agree to strongly disagree:
Getting along with all members of your work team is easy to do. 
No room to explain the answer.  Yes I agree, because I get along with my team members.  Or no, I disagree because getting along takes effort and I am willing to expend the effort.  Which way do I go???

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »
100 degrees outside nearing the end of September!

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
People who leave their cars idling in the parking lot. I've got a buddy who hates this too, and he'll actually open the door and turn the car off... if there's nobody in it, that is. I don't have the nerve to do that.

Valet parking. I HATE HATE HATE valet parking. Who wants to give their car and their car key to a complete stranger who parks it in some unknown location? And then, to top it all off, you have to tip them! God.

Crawlspaces

Mosquitos

Fixing broken shit. I know 90% of MMM people find fixing things to be life affirming, but I just consider it a pain in the ass. I'd always rather be playing music or reading.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:25:26 PM by El_Viajero »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »

Get what you can with tweezers, then smear Elmer's Glue (or similar) over the affected area in a thin layer. Wait for it to dry, then peel off. Should get most of the glochids -- you may decide to do a second pass.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »
I hate these damn phone calls I keep getting everyday that are trying to scam me out of money somehow. I have NOMOROBO but it still rings once until they intercept and block the call. However these jerks keep changing their phone numbers and it takes a while for NOMOROBO to catch up with them. I have noticed that the last 4 digits of the phone number 7191 seem to show up often. Does anyone else have a problem with these formerly Rachael calls that say they have been monitoring your accounts? Then for a while I got some Chinese guy who kept telling me he was from Microsoft and that my computer had a virus and he would help fix it. I told him more than once he was a scammer and he said he wasn't. I hung up and he called me back again! I hung up and he didn't call back.

I had this septic additive company keep calling and wanting us to buy this product. They would call day after day. Their phone is located in Bristol, CT. Every single day I would have at least 4 calls on caller ID from them. I finally answered the phone and told them to STOP calling. The woman was nasty and I told her I wouldn't buy her stuff ever so don't call anymore.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 04:08:51 AM »
I bought these little chrome shelves for my bathroom to get items off the vanity. So, I hang the one little shelf on my ceramic tile with Command Hooks and within minutes it fell off. I had some other double sided heavy duty tape and redid the hooks with it. It lasted a day and the hook fell off. I cleaned the tile with alcohol and dried it before applying the hooks. I do not want to drill holes in the ceramic tile. I bought some different stick on hooks from Amazon. Hope they work. GRRRRR!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »
Loud noise at night when I try to sleep. I have the last 2 weeks experienced this a lot, both on a campsite and on a city trip. You learn to value your own bedroom.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 05:09:12 AM »
I hate it when my neighbor burns brush and the smoke wafts over to my house and I have to close my windows. I doubt he has a burn permit either. Wouldn't you think the smoke would be going into his house?

His kid also has a mini scarp yard over there and makes lots of banging noises, metal grinding and typical noises you'd hear at a commercial garage. This is a neighborhood, not a commercial place to do this kind of work.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 06:25:46 AM »
Autocad. Especially Civil 3D.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »
I am despising shipping methods. I am trying to organize my house and I have been purchasing some different type of organizers. Some of the stuff is taking two weeks or more to get here. Some come directly from China and that takes weeks and weeks. This Smart Post delivery is the worst. By the time I get the items I have kind of forgotten what I bought them for. I did tracking on some of my packages and they made around 15 stops to get to CT. Seems we are going backwards in delivery service instead of forward. Like the stuff is coming by mule train. If companies use the Post Office I find the items arrive very quickly. Any other method is so slow!
But Smartpost is very cheap! It's generally the cheapest shipping option possible for the seller, saving several $ per package over the next fastest service. UPS Surepost is somewhat better since it often travels in their ground network anyway.

My list:

when a sock or something like that falls behind my clothes drier and requires fishing skills to recover

the impersonal messages left on birthday cards passed around the office

when you discover a gas station pump is broken after you've parked and shut off the car

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 04:51:55 AM »
But Smartpost is very cheap! It's generally the cheapest shipping option possible for the seller, saving several $ per package over the next fastest service. UPS Surepost is somewhat better since it often travels in their ground network anyway.

My list:

when a sock or something like that falls behind my clothes drier and requires fishing skills to recover

the impersonal messages left on birthday cards passed around the office

when you discover a gas station pump is broken after you've parked and shut off the car

Surepost and Smartpost both suck! It might be good for the seller but it should be all about the buyer. When I buy something I want it in a reasonable amount of time. Both of those methods take forever and ever to receive. It is a JOKE! One step up from mule train.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 03:31:45 AM »

Get a good pair of work gloves, and you will get very few of them stuck in your hand.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
I hate these damn phone calls I keep getting everyday that are trying to scam me out of money somehow. I have NOMOROBO but it still rings once until they intercept and block the call. However these jerks keep changing their phone numbers and it takes a while for NOMOROBO to catch up with them. I have noticed that the last 4 digits of the phone number 7191 seem to show up often. Does anyone else have a problem with these formerly Rachael calls that say they have been monitoring your accounts? Then for a while I got some Chinese guy who kept telling me he was from Microsoft and that my computer had a virus and he would help fix it. I told him more than once he was a scammer and he said he wasn't. I hung up and he called me back again! I hung up and he didn't call back.

I had this septic additive company keep calling and wanting us to buy this product. They would call day after day. Their phone is located in Bristol, CT. Every single day I would have at least 4 calls on caller ID from them. I finally answered the phone and told them to STOP calling. The woman was nasty and I told her I wouldn't buy her stuff ever so don't call anymore.

I hate those, too.  I stopped answering the phone a long time ago unless the caller is identified by my phone as someone I know.  You can also setup the phone so it only rings from numbers in your contacts.

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Waiting. Patience has never been my strenght.

When a machine breaks down or something doesn't go as planned.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
I know I've mentioned it before, but the job getting process is extremely annoying. With all this tech and all these companies out there you'd think there was a way not to fill out your name, address, and qualifications Every. Single. Freaking. Time.

Ziprecruiter seems to have a halfway decent platform with one click application but jobs are mostly through agencies. Out of maybe 30 warehouse postings, 2 are directly from a company, the rest from agencies. What the hell?!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:59 AM »
If you have to go to several doctors or have medical tests, they make you fill out basically the same paperwork over and over and your prescription drugs, how much you take and strength. Why can't these places have one form you fill our and bring it to each doctor or hospital instead of filling out the paperwork a million times. When my mother was sick, I had to fill out all of the stupid paperwork to the point I had to have a 3 ring notebook to remember everything!

Seems in this computer world there should be a better way.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
I hate scam / telemarketer phone calls.  They just don't stop.   I usually answer and hang up on them.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
I hate scam / telemarketer phone calls.  They just don't stop.   I usually answer and hang up on them.

+1  Ask them to put you on their "do not call" list. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
Vandals, Thieves, and Haters.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
In mother Russia, things hate you!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »

+1  Ask them to put you on their "do not call" list.
I just confirmed I am on the "do not call" registry.  Doesn't seem to stop them.  I'm gonna start filing complaints on them.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
We're on the do not call list but it doesn't stop 'em all. It's gotten to the point where we now totally waste their time with bs. Fun things we've done with telemarketers:

- tell the "car warranty" people that we have 587,000 miles on our car from a few trips to Alaska and every minute detail about it until they get bored and hang up
- fart really loudly into the phone
- pretend to have sex
- keep them on the line acting as if we are interested and then give them bogus cc info or an address laden with vulgarities
- start singing the chorus of "I will always love you" incredibly loud
- answer in a different language, sometimes mixing a few different ones
- stay on the line and refer to yourself exclusively in the third person

It's quite fun coming up with new ideas actually, I think I might tell them my husband is dead next time they call.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
We're on the do not call list but it doesn't stop 'em all. It's gotten to the point where we now totally waste their time with bs. Fun things we've done with telemarketers:

- tell the "car warranty" people that we have 587,000 miles on our car from a few trips to Alaska and every minute detail about it until they get bored and hang up
- pretend to have sex
- keep them on the line acting as if we are interested and then give them bogus cc info or an address laden with vulgarities

It's quite fun coming up with new ideas actually, I think I might tell them my husband is dead next time they call.
There are some good videos on YT of reverse-scamming to waste scammers' time, e.g. this (guy pretends to be grandmother/granddaughter duo; he has spent up to 4 hours on one call in another video), or even more clinical analysis after hacking into a scammer's operations, e.g. this. I didn't know how these kind of scams even worked until watching videos of this sort.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
I told two of them yesterday to add me to the do not call list.  They agreed. 

I new twist is leaving a voicemail ad without the phone ringing.  That is super annoying.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »

- pretend to have sex

You can ask them till you are blue in the face to take you off their list or you are on the no call list but they do not care and the robo calls keep coming thru. There is no stopping them. Most times I just let it ring but sometimes I have answered. Usually when you answer, they tell you what number you are on the wait list for someone to speak to you. I wait till someone says hello and I have this little box that came out of a dog toy that when you squeeze it, the thing makes duck quacking noises! LOL! Makes me happy! Sometimes I ask them why they keep calling over and over. They swear at me. Oh, yes, legitimate business people for sure!

Anyone have their computer freeze up and some voice comes on to tell you they have found porn on your computer and that you have to call them or they will report you to the authorities? I have had it happen a bunch of times and had to reboot my computer. The voice tells you if you leave the site they will alert authorities. DUH to them. I don't have porn on my computer. JERKS!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 06:28:04 AM »
Anyone have their computer freeze up and some voice comes on to tell you they have found porn on your computer and that you have to call them or they will report you to the authorities? I have had it happen a bunch of times and had to reboot my computer. The voice tells you if you leave the site they will alert authorities. DUH to them. I don't have porn on my computer. JERKS!
"Windows Technical Support" called me.  One problem, I use Linux.  Hahaha.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
"Windows Technical Support" called me.  One problem, I use Linux.  Hahaha.
Make sure to tell them of your problems with your "coffee cup holder".  ( CD tray, tech support urban legend)

fn43086

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »

To add to the shipping situations: My "pet peeve" is when I am home, and they mark "delivery attempted" but never even came to the door (usually on a weekend) and they don't even leave a tag for me to go pick up the package in the mean time. I am left waiting until at least Monday even though the package is literally right down the road from me just sitting at the post office/distribution center.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:04 AM »

To add to the shipping situations: My "pet peeve" is when I am home, and they mark "delivery attempted" but never even came to the door (usually on a weekend) and they don't even leave a tag for me to go pick up the package in the mean time. I am left waiting until at least Monday even though the package is literally right down the road from me just sitting at the post office/distribution center.

My husband had this once on a weekday while he was at home with sick leave. They had never been at our house, but reported as "you weren't home". At least, that day we could prove it.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »

My solution is easy. Live is too short for picking up calls from unknown number. If it is legit, they can leave me a vm.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 04:02:13 PM »

My solution is easy. Live is too short for picking up calls from unknown number. If it is legit, they can leave me a vm.
But then I have to call the vm and that is more work than just answering and hanging up.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 07:58:15 PM »
Lawn service guys who park their truck with trailer IN the road on narrow roads with no parking lane, or even shoulder.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »
If you have to go to several doctors or have medical tests, they make you fill out basically the same paperwork over and over and your prescription drugs, how much you take and strength. Why can't these places have one form you fill our and bring it to each doctor or hospital instead of filling out the paperwork a million times. When my mother was sick, I had to fill out all of the stupid paperwork to the point I had to have a 3 ring notebook to remember everything!

Seems in this computer world there should be a better way.
So true.  I hate filling out medical history forms, too. I'm almost 60.  I have had exactly one doctor in my entire life look at the medical history form before or during the appointment.  I sometimes fantasize about filling in random nonsense.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
I hate it when you buy something and they give you a 4 hour window of delivery time. 2 hours should be maximum. Do they expect people to stay home all day and not go to work?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »
Another thing I hate is when you make a phone call and go thru all the pre recorded prompts. They ask you to put in your account number and other information. Then they finally transfer you to a human operator and they then ask you for your account number and all the other crap you have just entered on your key pad.

Not to mention when you are on hold and they have the pre recorded music that is blasting, is some horrible song that is on a loop that plays over and over and then is constantly interrupted by more information this company can do for you.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »
The shipping thing seems to be a common annoying burr in people's sides. My SO had vitamins on order with GNC, attempted delivery 3 times until finally an email to customer service changed delivery method from FedEx to USPS which finally resulted in our vitamins arriving. We live in an apartment and normally get our packages from USPS or UPS, for some reason FedEx has trouble figuring out how to get to us.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »
Another thing I hate is when you make a phone call and go thru all the pre recorded prompts. They ask you to put in your account number and other information. Then they finally transfer you to a human operator and they then ask you for your account number and all the other crap you have just entered on your key pad.

Not to mention when you are on hold and they have the pre recorded music that is blasting, is some horrible song that is on a loop that plays over and over and then is constantly interrupted by more information this company can do for you.
Yep, all the above and I'd like to add that the pre-recorded music sounds like it is coming from bubbles from the yellow submarine.
Also, getting a pre-recorded music that doesn't grate on my ears is a miracle, especially after 5 minutes on hold.   I have pretty wide musical tastes, but nearly without fail, the pre-recorded music is wildly bad.   There is a reason that "grunge" grates on most people.  Nearly everyone in the early Seattle scene worked at Muzak(tm).   Disclaimer, I'm a big fan of "grunge" stuff, probably because I was in graduate school (70hrs/week minimum) at the time, and the music (NOT Muzak) was my only outlet.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »

Yep, all the above and I'd like to add that the pre-recorded music sounds like it is coming from bubbles from the yellow submarine.
Also, getting a pre-recorded music that doesn't grate on my ears is a miracle, especially after 5 minutes on hold.   I have pretty wide musical tastes, but nearly without fail, the pre-recorded music is wildly bad.   There is a reason that "grunge" grates on most people.  Nearly everyone in the early Seattle scene worked at Muzak(tm).   Disclaimer, I'm a big fan of "grunge" stuff, probably because I was in graduate school (70hrs/week minimum) at the time, and the music (NOT Muzak) was my only outlet.
I had the absolute worst experience with hold music a couple weeks ago (I'll name and shame: Blain's Farm and Fleet).  It was several voiceover recordings talking about how great their store is, fine whatever.  But they were badly spliced together so it always felt like the hold recording was being cut off and a human was about to talk.  It was not the kind of hold where you could just tune it out until someone picked up.  I had to listen to it carefully, and for about 25 minutes.  While driving through a freak torrential downpour of a thunderstorm that started around minute 15.  With it on speakerphone through the car.  It was stupid.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
I hate it when my mailman is lazy and jams tons of mail into my box including a package. He stuffs so much in, it is falling out the back door. My house door is not a mile away. Really only about 50 feet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!