Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 26526 times)

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:37 AM »
Mo Farah got tripped and he got up and still won the 10,000m.:)

I was just coming in to mention that! Seriously, the guy is that much better than everyone else. The look on his face was pretty priceless though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
Amy Millar (first time at the Olympics) went clear!!!!
And Eric Lamaze!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:11:50 AM by RetiredAt63 »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
Why not recycle an Olympic park and hold it in the same place twice.

The world SEEMS to be so concerned about the environment yet we are building one use Olympic parks...

Yeah, the '84 LA games actually made money because they had the facilities there already. The IOC is much more concerned these days about the games being a huge spectacle so they solicit the biggest promises and then make the wildest demands. And then the host country has to overspend.

Mo Farah got tripped and he got up and still won the 10,000m.:)

Yeah, that was amazing.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
No bronze... you can't give a medal to the person who came 5th.

Does anyone else think the Olympics are like the least Mustashian thing possible? I mean how much is being spent on a ONE TIME event? Also Brazil is such a corrrupt nation... so much of the nation is living in povery. Totally silly.
You know how some city spends a $Bn to build a stadium for a billionaire sports team in order to revitalize the depressed inner city ?
This works out about as well.

Yeah... Athens is still suffering under the weight of Olympic Debt.

Cities in the running for 2024 are: Budapest, Paris, Rome and Los Angeles.

Can you imagine the bill to be paid for "security"? Time again to get into the military contracting business.
"The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," Jean Drapeau.  Well the man's baby was finally paid for in 2006.  Only took 30 years.

Why not recycle an Olympic park and hold it in the same place twice.

The world SEEMS to be so concerned about the environment yet we are building one use Olympic parks...
Norway was planning to reuse several of the Lillehammer and World Championship venues, but couldn't get the public to agree to all the IOC's demands and insane levels of corruption. John Oliver describes it quite well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKf-fAekds

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
Lake Placid held the winter games twice, 1932 and 198o.  The facilities are quite modest and it's hard to imagine that they'd be suitable for the ridiculous spectacle expected now.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
Athens has held the games 2x in the modern era. For the second one the country went massively into debt. We all know how that turned out.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2016, 03:38:11 AM »
Aw, I feel sorry for Del Potro losing to Murray in the tennis final. They were both crying.

I want to see the gymnastics on catch up as American gymnast Simone Biles got her third gold medal. I didn't see Usain Bolt either, it's too late for me to stay up and watch it.:D

MinimalistMark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
Last night was the most exciting session of the Olympics so far (I'm somewhat biased to Track & Field events)!

Watching South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk smash Michael Johnson's 400m record was simply spectacular. From lane 8 at that *gasps* The ultimate culmination to all that was Usain Bolt, ever the showman, putting his mind boggling speed on display to win an unprecedented third successive 100m final. I nearly lost my voice cheering :(

With all the drama surrounding the Rio games, the athletes are certainly doing their part to balance out the negative aspects with incredible performances. Cant wait for more!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »
Last night was the most exciting session of the Olympics so far (I'm somewhat biased to Track & Field events)!

Watching South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk smash Michael Johnson's 400m record was simply spectacular. From lane 8 at that *gasps* The ultimate culmination to all that was Usain Bolt, ever the showman, putting his mind boggling speed on display to win an unprecedented third successive 100m final. I nearly lost my voice cheering :(

With all the drama surrounding the Rio games, the athletes are certainly doing their part to balance out the negative aspects with incredible performances. Cant wait for more!

I thought a lot of the swimming was even more spectacular.

But the 400 was a big surprise. I thought Johnson's record was safe. This is how good Michael Johnson was:

https://youtu.be/zbqy1Rpjgmw?t=114

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:06 AM »
The pole vault was very dramatic! Thiago Braz da Silva got gold for Brazil.:)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2016, 06:08:57 AM »
The pole vault was very dramatic! Thiago Braz da Silva got gold for Brazil.:)

I know! I shouldn't have stayed up for it, but I couldn't turn it off! I was so happy for him. Who knew pole-vaulting could be so dramatic? :)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
This is fun

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/can-you-beat-usain-bolt-out-of-the-blocks.html

I keep getting 0.11 pretty consistently. Maybe I should have gone into sprinting.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
This is fun

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/can-you-beat-usain-bolt-out-of-the-blocks.html

I keep getting 0.11 pretty consistently. Maybe I should have gone into sprinting.

Except Bolt came out of the blocks 7th out of 8 in the 100 final. That's not his strength. He uncoils his body and accelerates like nobody else.

Every single time I've seen him race (including a couple of live performances, seriously, if you get the chance you should go and watch a top mens 100m race, it's like nothing else) he's started nearly last and mowed the opposition down.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
Yep, Bolt wins in the 2nd half of the race. It is pretty amazing. Most others are in their highest gear pretty quickly, and he is still accelerating.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
I was reading an interview with him recently when he said the reason he started racing the 100 was because his coach told him he needed a second event after the 200, and he was too lazy to do the training required for the 400. His coach (at the time, probably not the same one he has now, I don't know) was hesitant because he was too prone to injury and didn't come out of the blocks fast enough to ever win a 100m event.

Seems the coach was wrong...

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
I was reading an interview with him recently when he said the reason he started racing the 100 was because his coach told him he needed a second event after the 200, and he was too lazy to do the training required for the 400. His coach (at the time, probably not the same one he has now, I don't know) was hesitant because he was too prone to injury and didn't come out of the blocks fast enough to ever win a 100m event.

Seems the coach was wrong...

It's amazing how many times I have seen raw talent smack around a disciplined expert. Sometimes experts are great a being wrong. How long did everyone stop CPR compressions to give breaths only to find out decades late that germaphobes who skipped the mouth and just did compressions were more successful. It took Phoenix Fire sticking their neck out to adopt it and lead the rest of the nation in life saving practice.

The first time the flop was used on the high jump-- I'm sure others laughed. Experts are great at reading books

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
This is fun

Except Bolt came out of the blocks 7th out of 8 in the 100 final. That's not his strength. He uncoils his body and accelerates like nobody else.

Every single time I've seen him race (including a couple of live performances, seriously, if you get the chance you should go and watch a top mens 100m race, it's like nothing else) he's started nearly last and mowed the opposition down.

Bah!  That is addicting, but I keep getting 0.202 :-(

I love that person's idea to see an average person competing against the athletes.  I wonder what it would look like if I tried to run again Usain Bolt, like how many steps would I even get to take by the time he crosses the finish line, LOL!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »
Freak of nature. He and Katy Ledecky should breed a bunch of superhuman athletes to win 15 gold medals at the 2040 olympics.

Question is what country would that brood compete for?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »
There have been some very unfair decisions in Olympic boxing this year.  Levit clearly beat Tishchenko the other day and lost, Conlon had the first and third rounds for sure and lost.  I'd be seriously pissed if I was an Olympic boxer.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2016, 08:41:26 AM »
The Irish boxer Michael Conlan made a scathing rant when he lost his match. He called them cheats.

I thought the Brazilian boxer did very well. A gold medal and he had a life of extreme poverty. Robson Conceição.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
There have been some very unfair decisions in Olympic boxing this year.  Levit clearly beat Tishchenko the other day and lost, Conlon had the first and third rounds for sure and lost.  I'd be seriously pissed if I was an Olympic boxer.

First, I don't think that an activity where the objective is to cause brain damage to your opponent to the point where he can no longer participate in the activity is something that should be a sport.

Second, see my earlier rant against "sports" that are largely oriented around judging.

One of the diving commentators mentioned that it was important for the diving order to be determined by rank in the standings. That way if you are diving later, the judges know that you are good and can give you a better score.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »
So many bellyflops this year. One by the defending Olympic champion. And the defending world champion didn't make it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyIY8T1tXVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4um56U454

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »

First, I don't think that an activity where the objective is to cause brain damage to your opponent to the point where he can no longer participate in the activity is something that should be a sport.

That's not the objective of Olympic boxing.  Actually because that isn't the objective, judging plays a large role in the sport.  If it was a last man standing sort of thing, with regular debilitating injuries, judging wouldn't be necessary at all as the winner would be obvious.

I take it from your comments that you have never boxed or watched an Olympic match.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
Agreed.  It's three rounds only, they use 10 oz gloves.  The count standard for injuries is far different. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
But the 400 was a big surprise. I thought Johnson's record was safe. This is how good Michael Johnson was:

https://youtu.be/zbqy1Rpjgmw?t=114
OMG, the announcer is hilarious! Thanks for the grins.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
Equestrian team jumping is over.  What a great event it was to watch.  The course was challenging but not impossible, the teamwork between horse and rider is amazing to watch, and how it is judged is clear - 4 points if the horse knocks a rail off, 1 point for every 4 seconds over the allowed time.  And best of all, the winners rode their horses to the medal ceremony and the horses stood behind the podium while the medals were awarded.

:-(    Canada was 4th, which was better than originally predicted but bronze was so close.  But there is no question but that the medalists deserved their medals.  And there is still the individual jumping on Friday.  What is the saying?  Hope springs eternal?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »

That's not the objective of Olympic boxing.  Actually because that isn't the objective, judging plays a large role in the sport.  If it was a last man standing sort of thing, with regular debilitating injuries, judging wouldn't be necessary at all as the winner would be obvious.

I take it from your comments that you have never boxed or watched an Olympic match.

I have never boxed but I have seen an Olympic match. Olympic boxing is different than professional boxing (the men used to wear headguards). But you're still punching people in the face. With or without a headguard, that is still causing small repetitive brain injuries. Heading a ball in soccer does it too.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »
Dressage - the unfairest sport

http://newsthump.com/2016/08/15/wheres-my-fcking-medal-demands-horse/

Love it.  And I am sure the horses in the 3 day event and jumping are thinking the same thing,  although they were perfectly capable of showing when they were not going to go over a jump.  They stopped.  Sometimes the riders stopped too.  Sometimes the riders kept going.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »
All I have heard about was Simone Biles but Aly is the one I enjoyed watching the most. I'm glad she didn't silver because of a mistake. She was as perfect as she could be. A real pleasure to watch. I hope to see her Laurie and Simone competing all the way to the next Olympics. Greatest sport that ever was. Father of them all

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »

I have never boxed but I have seen an Olympic match. Olympic boxing is different than professional boxing (the men used to wear headguards). But you're still punching people in the face. With or without a headguard, that is still causing small repetitive brain injuries. Heading a ball in soccer does it too.

Sure, there is the potential for brain injury from being punched in the head.  Brain injury is not guaranteed by any means, nor do most boxers develop it.

That's all a bit of a red herring though.  You claimed "the objective is to cause brain damage to your opponent to the point where he can no longer participate in the activity".  This statement is demonstrably false.  The overwhelming majority of Olympic matches are won by points, not by a participant being unable to continue.  Causing brain damage is not the goal of boxing.  Boxing's goals involve dealing with fear, maintaining composure under very high stress, and thinking/reacting clearly while in pain.

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
It's not "carry ball", it's clearly "hand egg".

Only a small percentage of the players ever get to carry the ball. Most of them are just there as mobile obstacles.

I watched some of the archery yesterday. It's one of the original Greek Olympic sports, no judging involved, incredibly accurate shooting too, but still pretty dull for the spectator.

Interesting. I find archery and other accuracy competitions to be some of the most exciting. I could be biased for archery because I'm part Korean, but I equally enjoy the shooting events. I also enjoy the more accuracy/reaction time events like ping pong, badminton and tennis. That too could be from bias because I'm a tennis player.

I also like that these sports aren't determined by judges, but by clearly defined lines. I don't enjoy watching gymnastics, boxing, diving, synchronized swimming, etc. Though some highlight reels can be interesting to watch.

After my favorite sports to watch, I'd say the brute strength/explosive speed/endurance competitions can be interesting. Bike races, track & field, swimming, etc.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »
Brazil accusing elite athletes of some lying conspiracy.. Really? Those corrupt bastards better quit threatening people to keep them from reporting crimes. They better give our athletes back now. I bet Trump would. I bet he would

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
Brazil accusing elite athletes of some lying conspiracy.. Really? Those corrupt bastards better quit threatening people to keep them from reporting crimes. They better give our athletes back now. I bet Trump would. I bet he would

Trump would screw things up more.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »
If it's true they better show the video because I don't believe one word of it

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »

Sure, there is the potential for brain injury from being punched in the head.  Brain injury is not guaranteed by any means, nor do most boxers develop it.

That's all a bit of a red herring though.  You claimed "the objective is to cause brain damage to your opponent to the point where he can no longer participate in the activity".  This statement is demonstrably false.  The overwhelming majority of Olympic matches are won by points, not by a participant being unable to continue.  Causing brain damage is not the goal of boxing.  Boxing's goals involve dealing with fear, maintaining composure under very high stress, and thinking/reacting clearly while in pain.

They are micro injuries. They don't necessarily have to register as a concussion to cause long term brain damage. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is one term that is increasing in usage. It used to be called dementia pugilistica (guess why). Newer research is finding that repeated micro injuries to the brain add up over time and cause a wide variety of ailments.

I was referring to "boxing" not "Olympic boxing". I agreed that Olympic boxing was different, but still subject to brain injury. Hence still objectionable. But if you want to argue that Mike Tyson's objective wasn't to knock out his opponents...

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2016, 02:23:36 PM »
Wow. Video doesn't look in the boys favor. Shameful. Never tell half truths to the entire world terrible

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
Wow. Video doesn't look in the boys favor. Shameful. Never tell half truths to the entire world terrible

I am not surprised, sounded totally fishy from the beginning.
Looks like there may be no consequences for Mr. Lochte, though I don't think he can expect any endorsement dollars anytime soon - though maybe one on bladder control issues.

I am disgusted by their behavior, and even more disgusted by the "eh, boys will be boys attitude". Bullshit - Lochte is in his 30s. No excuses, they ALL should know better than to vandalize someone else's property, pee on the walls, accuse others of criminal behavior, and lie about the incident.  Never mind that they are representing our country, not just themselves. And how stupid do you have to be to think there is no video surveillance? The other 3 are just as bad because they participated, and at least backed him up on this lie.

If they just would have kept quiet, I doubt any of this would have come out. Even if it had, the story would have been much different.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
To me it's not so much the door that bothers me. It's the lie. If it came to peeing in my pants, in public, or kicking down a door. I would kick down the door. But I wouldn't go on national TV and say I got robbed. Though, I must say its not and American custom to demand someone's wallet and take their cash on the spot for property damage. That might feel like getting robbed but it sure as hell was provoked.

And it's still shameful
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:13:10 PM by mrpercentage »

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »

They are micro injuries. They don't necessarily have to register as a concussion to cause long term brain damage. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is one term that is increasing in usage. It used to be called dementia pugilistica (guess why). Newer research is finding that repeated micro injuries to the brain add up over time and cause a wide variety of ailments.

I was referring to "boxing" not "Olympic boxing". I agreed that Olympic boxing was different, but still subject to brain injury. Hence still objectionable. But if you want to argue that Mike Tyson's objective wasn't to knock out his opponents...

Ummm, isn't the title of this thread "The Olympics"?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2016, 03:44:25 PM »
To me it's not so much the door that bothers me. It's the lie. If it came to peeing in my pants, in public, or kicking down a door. I would kick down the door. But I wouldn't go on national TV and say I got robbed. Though, I must say its not and American custom to demand someone's wallet and take their cash on the spot for property damage. That might feel like getting robbed but it sure as hell was provoked.

And it's still shameful

But they did not take the wallet, he had the wallet later (seen on x-Ray, I assume entering Olympic village). They were challenged for their vandalism, owner/manager called the cops, they came to an 'out of court' settlement, I.e., paying for the damage with cash. Cops had not arrived, owner let them leave.  Same thing could happen in the U.S., you pay for the damage the business owner will avoid the long drawn out court system. Instant reimbursement is likely always a better option.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »

And it's still shameful

But they did not take the wallet, he had the wallet later (seen on x-Ray, I assume entering Olympic village). They were challenged for their vandalism, owner/manager called the cops, they came to an 'out of court' settlement, I.e., paying for the damage with cash. Cops had not arrived, owner let them leave.  Same thing could happen in the U.S., you pay for the damage the business owner will avoid the long drawn out court system. Instant reimbursement is likely always a better option.

So let me gets this strait. They had to pee or drop a deuce so they got a key. It didn't work or the door was stuck so they pushed it open and it damaged the door.
They did their business and tried to leave but a man "security" came up and "challenged them" stuck a gun in their face. They get out and try to follow directions of different language. Translator comes and says you damaged our stuff and you need to give us this money or you are going to a nasty jail.
Then they report getting robbed and later two are detained and are told they can get six months in nasty jail for making false charges. They better cooperate or they might not leave the country in good condition for a long time. Still sounds like way too much bullshit for a door. They should have mentioned the door but Rio better give us our Olympians back pronto. They didn't resist arrest on camera and this is still big time bullshit

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »

And it's still shameful

So let me gets this strait. They had to pee or drop a deuce so they got a key. It didn't work or the door was stuck so they pushed it open and it damaged the door.
They did their business and tried to leave but a man "security" came up and "challenged them" stuck a gun in their face. They get out and try to follow directions of different language. Translator comes and says you damaged our stuff and you need to give us this money or you are going to a nasty jail.
Then they report getting robbed and later two are detained and are told they can get six months in nasty jail for making false charges. They better cooperate or they might not leave the country in good condition for a long time. Still sounds like way too much bullshit for a door. They should have mentioned the door but Rio better give us our Olympians back pronto. They didn't resist arrest on camera and this is still big time bullshit

We'll have to agree to disagree. If they were in the right, why the big convoluted story? We just don't know the whole story.
I think Lochte and others are in the wrong - I can't prove it.
You think they were mistreated (is that a fair term?) or extorted (?) - you can't prove that.
We are stuck. Likely more will come out about this.
I think we can agree that luckily no one was hurt, and hopefully everyone learned something.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
Why does the olympics need to be national teams?

Are you saying, "come and witness the genetic supremacy of the USA" - as our descendants of west African slaves beat your descendants of West African slaves in the 100m? 

And you aren't showing your country's commitment to finding and training young talent (like China and the ex-USSR) when oil-rich middle eastern kingdoms can pay athletes from 3rd world countries to switch nationality and suddenly gain a Kuwaiti basketball team.

So why not have pure commercial teams like the Tour de France ?
It would be far more honest to have the RedBull team against the Apple team than try and pretend that these are all amateur athletes.

Good points. And it makes me sad...

I thought Olympic athletes were not allowed to "go pro" and had to give up being Olympians if they did so. However, if that is true, then why are the basketballs players always professional NBA players thrown into an Olympic team?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »
Men mostly look stupid doing the gymnastics floor exercise - flip, flip, twist, flip, flip, ministry of silly walks...

I'm generally not a fan of all the sports that require judging
. There's too much subjectivity and BS involved. So much history of rigged judging. It seems wrong to have these people dedicate their lives to something and then have their fate decided by the whims of some people who have varied motivations and biases.

These sports can be very challenging and require incredible strength and skill (like gymnastics). Nothing against the very amazing displays of athletic ability of these competitors. I just get very irritated by the sports due to the judging aspect.

Maybe that's how they can pare down and reduce the costs of the Olympics - only include sports which are judged objectively (i.e. by first across the line, time, weight etc.). We'd get rid of synchronised swimming that way...

Except when the pool's water flow may have a current that allows athletes in certain lanes to have better times.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »

And it's still shameful

We'll have to agree to disagree. If they were in the right, why the big convoluted story? We just don't know the whole story.
I think Lochte and others are in the wrong - I can't prove it.
You think they were mistreated (is that a fair term?) or extorted (?) - you can't prove that.
We are stuck. Likely more will come out about this.
I think we can agree that luckily no one was hurt, and hopefully everyone learned something.

I have taken a few trips to Mexico and have seen this in action. My Uncle was extorted and murdered in Thailand. This stuff happens. I think there was more to it as you say. I think the boys broke the door and they hid that. But the fact is they are Olympic Champions with clean records and Rio is notorious for corruption. Why would 3 Olympians "pick fights" and "vandalize property" and "say they got robbed on national TV"? Two are in fact being held in Rio for what? They are being held against their will and being threatened with prison for what? I actually watched the video and I do think I see the gun in a guys hand by the cab. If a guy stuck a gun in my face and said I needed to give him money to leave-- I would call that getting robbed.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
Re: Rio
I agree, there are plenty of corrupt police and thugs in Brazil (and Mexico, and, other places). They were in a group, which is a good idea. But they had been clubbing (drinking) into the wee hours*, bad idea.

I was in Sao Paolo and Rio for an MBA international trip. They were way more worried about us in Sao Paolo, but you needed to be careful in both cities if you were out on your own. In Rio, our hotel was just a block or two from Copacabana Beach. I am not sure were the Olympic Village is, or where the swimmers were until they got back.

*see what I did there? ;)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »

Yes. Personal narative leading to something not entirely related.
However, I think we have a major international incident brewing fast. A smear campaign is a very effective political tool. So before the boys are thrown in prison because they had the audacity to drink and break into a restroom, someone with clout needs to step up and handle this Helen of Troy shit. As far as I am concerned those Olympians are hostage.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

Yes. Personal narative leading to something not entirely related.
However, I think we have a major international incident brewing fast. A smear campaign is a very effective political tool. So before the boys are thrown in prison because they had the audacity to drink and break into a restroom, someone with clout needs to step up and handle this Helen of Troy shit. As far as I am concerned those Olympians are hostage.

I see that you know that very well, considering that post.

A few small corrections: jail is not the same thing is "prison," and being under arrest is not the same thing as being held "hostage."