Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 43104 times)

omachi

• Stubble
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
the amount of horsepower available in autos today. i don't understand.

They're getting heavier with all the safety equipment. In order to retain the sort of acceleration that Americans expect, the power also goes up. At the extreme end, it also sells cars to a certain demographic, even if they have no idea how to safely use that sort of power.

Good news: you can still get cars with around 100 HP if you want one. Bad news: it won't get quite the fuel economy of a Geo Metro because it's still heavier. Good news: you are far less likely to die horribly in a crash in the new cars than in a Metro.

soory. i'm referring to the enormous amounts, like 300hp and up. 800hp? seriously?

300 at least isn't unusable. It can get you in trouble if you are dumb with it, but getting two tons of steel accelerating to 60 mph in 6 seconds requires it. Modern tires and traction control mean there isn't really wheel spin. Modern high power cars aren't scary in the way the big block C3 Corvette was, at any rate.

Not that we need 0-60 times below 6 seconds. Anything under 8 is fast enough for most and anything under 10 should be perfectly fine getting on most highways. But a two ton luxury car can't be so slow that an economy car is faster or it won't sell, so more power it is.

800 hp is the extreme end where someone was successfully marketed a Hellcat. The fact that there were limited numbers and many will probably get wrapped around trees probably means the ones that survive will be worth something to collectors some day. There's no point to driving such a thing, though.

My car has about 6 second 0-60 time and there are some onramps where I definitely use it (uphill with very short merge).  When I drive my wife's car it feels really dangerous because I'm entering the freeway slower than traffic but I can't just sit at the top of the onramp waiting for traffic to pass either.  Maybe you are saying 6s is about the limit of what could be needed?

6 seconds to 60 should be faster than highway planners require anybody to accelerate, since most cars can't do that. The V6 variants of things like the Camry and Accord can (crazy what a modern family sedan can do compared to sports cars of old), but the average vehicle is probably in the 7.5-10 second range now. A Prius is pushing 10-11 seconds to 60. Still better than an old VW Beetle, that's closer to 20. I'd think they should plan for the slow end of average.

Of course there's should and reality. I know at least one onramp that's fairly long, except there's a curve for nearly all of it that people don't tend to take faster than 35. Traffic on the highway tends to go about 70. End result, foot to the floor and merging at about 65 in a car that hits 60 in about 8 seconds. I suppose the posted limit is 60, so the planners weren't asking the impossible if people didn't speed.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
I don't get why people are jerks to others who don't know unusual jargon.

Like my friend is confused some people don't know what "soft copy" means. It's not in common parlance, and we don't even use real soft copies.

Or my friend who gets a bit judgy when others don't know what "muntins" are on windows.

This makes no sense. Knowledge should not be used as a judgmental tool.

What's a "soft copy"? And what's a "real soft copy"?

Asking for a friend.

So in common parlance/my field of work, a "hard copy" is a printed or physical medium of information. Like, if I bill you something, and print it out on paper, that's a "hard copy."

"Soft copy" is the inverse. I email you the invoice. NO ONE talks like this.

Per actual government regulations, actual soft copies are "nonpermanent display images," like on a computer.

This terminology actually pre-dates computers, but again, no one ever talks this way anymore.

Orly?

Many people in my office use the terms hard copy & soft copy often.  We are slooooooowly transitioning away from paper-based workloads.  So for the time being, we often have both, or need to determine if we have one or the other (if we have hard copy, is this one of those things we can turn into soft copy? For example.)

send me a wet copy

Sure, just let me get the scuba gear on. (Splash, splash)
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »

6 seconds to 60 should be faster than highway planners require anybody to accelerate, since most cars can't do that. The V6 variants of things like the Camry and Accord can (crazy what a modern family sedan can do compared to sports cars of old), but the average vehicle is probably in the 7.5-10 second range now. A Prius is pushing 10-11 seconds to 60. Still better than an old VW Beetle, that's closer to 20. I'd think they should plan for the slow end of average.

Of course there's should and reality. I know at least one onramp that's fairly long, except there's a curve for nearly all of it that people don't tend to take faster than 35. Traffic on the highway tends to go about 70. End result, foot to the floor and merging at about 65 in a car that hits 60 in about 8 seconds. I suppose the posted limit is 60, so the planners weren't asking the impossible if people didn't speed.

It's very possible that the speed limit was more like 50-55 when this particular onramp was designed, but now traffic goes at about 75.

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
This I don't get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPL9fKTpcJg

Possibly, the most retarded thing I've ever seen. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: August 11, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
I don't get Girl Scout cookies. I mean I get their purpose--build confidence and business acumen in young girls while funding their extracurriculars. Fine. What I don't get is why people--even (or especially) those without kids--go absolutely gaga every time Girl Scout Cookie Season rolls around. They buy piles and piles of boxes to get them through the rest of the year until next Girl Scout Cookie Season. I mean, I guess I get it if your child is a scout or you are related to or close friends with one. But plenty of people will buy vast quantities from total strangers at a table set up outside Home Depot or whatever. And what are they now, $8 per box?

They are, plain and simple, not that good. They used to be better (not to mention cheaper). I was a Girl Scout (or a Brownie, but I still did my Cookie Time), and I remember them being delicious. Frozen Thin Mints were a favorite snack. But now? They taste like sugary cardboard to me. Thin Mints are still... okay, but not worth $8 per box or whatever.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
I don't get Girl Scout cookies. I mean I get their purpose--build confidence and business acumen in young girls while funding their extracurriculars. Fine. What I don't get is why people--even (or especially) those without kids--go absolutely gaga every time Girl Scout Cookie Season rolls around. They buy piles and piles of boxes to get them through the rest of the year until next Girl Scout Cookie Season. I mean, I guess I get it if your child is a scout or you are related to or close friends with one. But plenty of people will buy vast quantities from total strangers at a table set up outside Home Depot or whatever. And what are they now, $8 per box?

They are, plain and simple, not that good. They used to be better (not to mention cheaper). I was a Girl Scout (or a Brownie, but I still did my Cookie Time), and I remember them being delicious. Frozen Thin Mints were a favorite snack. But now? They taste like sugary cardboard to me. Thin Mints are still... okay, but not worth $8 per box or whatever.

I remember thinking they were freaking delicious when I was young. I'm not sure if they've changed the recipes, or if my palate has just gotten more discerning as I've gotten older. More likely the latter, I think.

The thing is, lots of people in this country exist on mostly processed food. For those people, things like Girl Scout cookies probably still do taste amazing. Plus, they are familiar like McDonalds food is: they always taste exactly the same. And there's a nostalgia factor in that.

I agree with you that they're gross. But given that you, like me, are on this forum, I'd bet that our consumption of this kind of processed food is far, far below the average for the country. I suppose that explains a lot of it.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
This I don't get:

+ infinity.  Followed closely by the ape hangers previously mentioned.

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2017, 01:34:10 PM »
This I don't get:

Apparently you haven't heard of Neuticals.  Probably the same kind of folks who would put the above item on their truck would be the ones to use Neuticals on their dogs, which I don't get either.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
This I don't get:

Apparently you haven't heard of Neuticals.  Probably the same kind of folks who would put the above item on their truck would be the ones to use Neuticals on their dogs, which I don't get either.

Oh good lord.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »

I remember thinking they were freaking delicious when I was young. I'm not sure if they've changed the recipes, or if my palate has just gotten more discerning as I've gotten older. More likely the latter, I think.

The thing is, lots of people in this country exist on mostly processed food. For those people, things like Girl Scout cookies probably still do taste amazing. Plus, they are familiar like McDonalds food is: they always taste exactly the same. And there's a nostalgia factor in that.

I agree with you that they're gross. But given that you, like me, are on this forum, I'd bet that our consumption of this kind of processed food is far, far below the average for the country. I suppose that explains a lot of it.

I'd say I eat more processed food than the average Mustachian (love me some McDonalds breakfast and freezer pizzas), but still less than the average American. That said, Aldi has a version of the Samoas/Caramel DeLites that tastes EXACTLY how I remember them tasting (for less than $2 a box, no less). That makes me think the recipes have changed. And even if they still tasted the way I remember them, I still wouldn't understand why people buy 20 boxes at a time for $8 each (an extreme example, representative of the behavior I think).
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
This I don't get:

Oh good lord.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »
GuitarStv, stop it! I cannot unsee this stuff!

dcamnc

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »
Sports, especially the NFL. Watching your kid play sports I get, watching a 30-some year old grown ass man that you don't know, play for millions, no thanks. The worst are the guys that know all the stats and whatnot.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: August 14, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
Custom car decals like "In loving memory of John Smith 1980-2015".  Great you loved John - am sure he was a fine guy but did he buy the car for you?  If so would he want a tacky sticker on it?  Do people like being reminded or there loved one every time they walk behind there car?  I am not sure I would want to be reminded of those I have lost when running errands. 
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: August 14, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »

They're getting heavier with all the safety equipment. In order to retain the sort of acceleration that Americans expect, the power also goes up. At the extreme end, it also sells cars to a certain demographic, even if they have no idea how to safely use that sort of power.

Good news: you can still get cars with around 100 HP if you want one. Bad news: it won't get quite the fuel economy of a Geo Metro because it's still heavier. Good news: you are far less likely to die horribly in a crash in the new cars than in a Metro.

soory. i'm referring to the enormous amounts, like 300hp and up. 800hp? seriously?
Get a ride in one.  It'll make more sense. :)

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: August 14, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »
Custom car decals like "In loving memory of John Smith 1980-2015".  Great you loved John - am sure he was a fine guy but did he buy the car for you?  If so would he want a tacky sticker on it?  Do people like being reminded or there loved one every time they walk behind there car?  I am not sure I would want to be reminded of those I have lost when running errands.

Americans have a really weird identification with their cars. Like, they aren't just vehicles to get around. For a lot of people, they're like extensions of themselves, and projections of their identities. I've never seen a country with so many cars sporting bumper stickers and other "these are my beliefs/interests/hobbies, so that other drivers can know who I am" things on them.

Also, just as an aside, there has been at least one study linking the number of bumper stickers, etc. on someone's car to road rage. Apparently, it's an indicator of territorial thinking.

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html

Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Milizard

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »

I'd say I eat more processed food than the average Mustachian (love me some McDonalds breakfast and freezer pizzas), but still less than the average American. That said, Aldi has a version of the Samoas/Caramel DeLites that tastes EXACTLY how I remember them tasting (for less than $2 a box, no less). That makes me think the recipes have changed. And even if they still tasted the way I remember them, I still wouldn't understand why people buy 20 boxes at a time for $8 each (an extreme example, representative of the behavior I think).

OMG, I wish I hadn't read this.  (Now planning a little side trip to Aldi tomorrow.)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »

Get a ride in one.  It'll make more sense. :)

Rode in a coworkers Dodge Hellcat (700 hp I'm told).  H o l y s h i t.  When he slammed the pedal and took off...  I've never experienced that sort of acceleration.

It's kinda like a cabin or lake house, I would never want one myself, but it can be fun when friends have them.
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  Were the people who look at what we got, figure out what we dont like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
Rode in a coworkers Dodge Hellcat (700 hp I'm told).  H o l y s h i t.  When he slammed the pedal and took off...  I've never experienced that sort of acceleration.

It's kinda like a cabin or lake house, I would never want one myself, but it can be fun when friends have them.

Curious - how does it compare to Tesla's ludicrous mode? Because I had a similar reaction there...
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »

Curious - how does it compare to Tesla's ludicrous mode? Because I had a similar reaction there...

I can't compare.  I've ridden in a Tesla, but it was mostly casual driving.

Dumb question, is there actually a ludicrous mode?  Or is it the "sport" mode?
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  Were the people who look at what we got, figure out what we dont like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »

Yup, Tesla named their super-acceleration "Ludicrous mode",.  Elon Musk has a pension for inserting pop culture references into his projects. When ludicrous mode was revealed the hold music at Tesla Inc. was changed to only play Ludicris.

...I got a demo once and all I could say is "wow, this would get me into so much trouble".

click here for pop-culture reference.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3755277/Tesla-boosts-batteries-reveals-new-ludicrous-mode-0-60mph-just-2-5-seconds.html

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »

Yup, Tesla named their super-acceleration "Ludicrous mode",.  Elon Musk has a pension for inserting pop culture references into his projects. When ludicrous mode was revealed the hold music at Tesla Inc. was changed to only play Ludicris.

...I got a demo once and all I could say is "wow, this would get me into so much trouble".

click here for pop-culture reference.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3755277/Tesla-boosts-batteries-reveals-new-ludicrous-mode-0-60mph-just-2-5-seconds.html

Sums it up pretty well.

~Mr. Frugal Toque

simonsez

• Bristles
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Sports, especially the NFL. Watching your kid play sports I get, watching a 30-some year old grown ass man that you don't know, play for millions, no thanks. The worst are the guys that know all the stats and whatnot.

To each their own*, I don't really understand people who gripe about what other people obviously get some sort of cultural/emotional/social utility from, especially one dictated by markets (if you don't like grown men playing a game for millions, that's fine but obviously enough people do to create a market that pays that much).  You really cannot grasp how anyone can get enjoyment out of something that you do not?

If someone is rattling off facts and opinions about something they have an interest in and you don't care for it, politely say that's not your thing or just nod and try to steer the subject.

*-I realize this sentiment could be expanded to anything especially in this thread but sports (and following them) are enjoyed by billions worldwide, it's not some weird niche interest group.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »

To each their own*, I don't really understand people who gripe about what other people obviously get some sort of cultural/emotional/social utility from, especially one dictated by markets (if you don't like grown men playing a game for millions, that's fine but obviously enough people do to create a market that pays that much).  You really cannot grasp how anyone can get enjoyment out of something that you do not?

Sooo... what you don't get is how other people don't get what you do get?
[head explodes]

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »

Sooo... what you don't get is how other people don't get what you do get?
[head explodes]

Now you get it!

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »

Americans have a really weird identification with their cars. Like, they aren't just vehicles to get around. For a lot of people, they're like extensions of themselves, and projections of their identities. I've never seen a country with so many cars sporting bumper stickers and other "these are my beliefs/interests/hobbies, so that other drivers can know who I am" things on them.

Also, just as an aside, there has been at least one study linking the number of bumper stickers, etc. on someone's car to road rage. Apparently, it's an indicator of territorial thinking.

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html

I don't get - soldiers who put their entire resume on the back of their vehicles. There's pride in your service, and then there's overdoing it.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
I don't get - soldiers who put their entire resume on the back of their vehicles. There's pride in your service, and then there's overdoing it.

Kris kinda covered this above. Many Americans tie their identity to their vehicle to a degree that's absolutely astonishing. I've seen grown men go into rage over an unintentional and superficial scratch to their ride. Experiencing genuine grief over the loss of a car is a real thing for some.
Many people want their vehicle to say "this is me, this is who I am, my vehicle is a reflection of my identity".

... i don't get it either.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: August 15, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »

Kris kinda covered this above. Many Americans tie their identity to their vehicle to a degree that's absolutely astonishing. I've seen grown men go into rage over an unintentional and superficial scratch to their ride. Experiencing genuine grief over the loss of a car is a real thing for some.
Many people want their vehicle to say "this is me, this is who I am, my vehicle is a reflection of my identity".

You're probably right, though with some folks in the military their job is their identity (and in this case their vehicle is their method of conveying that).  I saw a car configured much like the truck in the photo, but with a license plate that said "SOLJUR."  I have no issue with the random bumper sticker that says "I'm in the military or I support it," but when your rear windows has everything about your service but your name and SSN I think you've got something loose.  Their clothing can reflect this identity issue as well.  In my last unit we had to educate our guys on how to dress in public because their "around town" clothes tended to be: Merrill hiking boots, 5.11 Tactical khaki pants, a tight t-shirt with something 'Merican on it, and a folded ballcap with the flag on the front.  While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, for some it seemed like the only clothes they owned.  This became a problem when we'd travel to Eastern Europe and they'd still wear this outfit when the dress code was collared shirt and slacks.  This was for general professionalism and a self defense measure.  On at least one occasion I had a soldier get upset with me because he thought his pride and patriotism were more important than staying off someone's radar.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

dcamnc

• Bristles
« Reply #378 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »

If someone is rattling off facts and opinions about something they have an interest in and you don't care for it, politely say that's not your thing or just nod and try to steer the subject.

*-I realize this sentiment could be expanded to anything especially in this thread but sports (and following them) are enjoyed by billions worldwide, it's not some weird niche interest group.

The OP asked the question and I answered, no need to get bent up about it.

Cache Stash

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2017, 07:02:24 AM »
I don't get why people care so much about what other people may get, but they don't.

Disclaimer:  This may or may not be a circular reference depending on whether or not I care. YMMV

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
Sports, especially the NFL.
That's a shitload of people you're not "getting" because the NFL is very popular as well as other sports.  But if you don't get it at this point, I suspect you never will.  And that's ok.

I'm not a fan of bumper stickers, either.  I've never put one on my car.  I work with a kook that still has Obama and Bernie Sanders bumper stickers all along his bumper.  It looks tacky.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:11:46 AM by GenXbiker »

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
Bumper stickers definitely look out of place. Especially when they aren't actually on your bumper.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Agreed about sports and bumper stickers both.  I guess they are examples of our need to express belonging to a group.  As much as I used to think I was all Mr. Rugged Individualist, I now see that we are pretty hard coded as social animals and have a strong need to belong to groups.  Even if its sports (or MMM!) 
Frugalite in training.

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »

I don't know about "rage" but I take issue with the phrase "unintentional" above.  While the person that causes the scratch may not intend to, it's the end result of their carelessness towards someone else's property.  I don't think the person that lacks basic respect for others gets to judge a person for over reacting in that scenario.

Which brings up something I don't get:  people that don't return carts to cart corrals at stores.  Who raised these people?  And how lazy are they?

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #384 on: August 16, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Agreed about sports and bumper stickers both.  I guess they are examples of our need to express belonging to a group.  As much as I used to think I was all Mr. Rugged Individualist, I now see that we are pretty hard coded as social animals and have a strong need to belong to groups.  Even if its sports (or MMM!)
I'm a casual sports fan - at least compared to my ESPN-junky siblings. Long ago I realized that every professional sports team was composed of individuals from all over who were essentially mercenaries (or at least contract-employees) who, despite public statements about "this town being so great and wonderful", were playing there because of the money and their contract.  Yet I still route for my teams and get a little bummed when they lose to their rival teams, even though I know their rivals are t just another group of highly paid individuals.

gone are the days when players would get part-time jobs in the off season in the towns where they played. gone are the days when most or even 1/4 of the players on a team grew up in that area (now - mostly by random change - maybe 5% of players on any team can be considered 'local boys'). When they aren't playing these athletes are as segregated as can be, living in gated communities, eating in VIP rooms in exclusive restaurants and being 'protected' by private bodyguards.
...still, i have my favorite players, worth 10s of millions, and i root for them every time they play.  Go figure.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »

I don't know about "rage" but I take issue with the phrase "unintentional" above.  While the person that causes the scratch may not intend to, it's the end result of their carelessness towards someone else's property.  I don't think the person that lacks basic respect for others gets to judge a person for over reacting in that scenario.

Which brings up something I don't get:  people that don't return carts to cart corrals at stores.  Who raised these people?  And how lazy are they?

huh?  why do you take issue with the phrase "unintentional" as mentioned above? If something wasn't intended, it is by definition unintentional.
Can they be at fault? absolutely. Doesn't mean they meant for it to happen, and it doesn't mean they lack respect for other people. Sometimes accidents just happen.

Agree with the comment about people who can't be bothered to return carts to corrals. Just basic decency, like throwing litter into an appropriate receptacle or not blocking the isle with your cart when shopping.

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »

huh?  why do you take issue with the phrase "unintentional" as mentioned above? If something wasn't intended, it is by definition unintentional.
Can they be at fault? absolutely. Doesn't mean they meant for it to happen, and it doesn't mean they lack respect for other people. Sometimes accidents just happen.

Agree with the comment about people who can't be bothered to return carts to corrals. Just basic decency, like throwing litter into an appropriate receptacle or not blocking the isle with your cart when shopping.
"Unintentional" seemed to imply a lack of responsibility in that post.  Most of the time these things could have been easily predicted if someone had used a small portion of their brain to evaluate what the risks are.

Example:  Playing baseball near a neighbors car.  You might not have intended for a foul tip to break their window, but the neighbor has a legitimate point that you lacked basic respect for his property by not using common sense to prevent it from happening.

Edit:  basically, I'm trying to differentiate between "unintentional" because it's some crazy scenario and "unintentional" because you don't care.  Too many people in the latter category. :-/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:56:33 AM by nick663 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #387 on: August 16, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
I'm a casual sports fan - at least compared to my ESPN-junky siblings. Long ago I realized that every professional sports team was composed of individuals from all over who were essentially mercenaries (or at least contract-employees) who, despite public statements about "this town being so great and wonderful", were playing there because of the money and their contract.  Yet I still route for my teams and get a little bummed when they lose to their rival teams, even though I know their rivals are t just another group of highly paid individuals.

gone are the days when players would get part-time jobs in the off season in the towns where they played. gone are the days when most or even 1/4 of the players on a team grew up in that area (now - mostly by random change - maybe 5% of players on any team can be considered 'local boys'). When they aren't playing these athletes are as segregated as can be, living in gated communities, eating in VIP rooms in exclusive restaurants and being 'protected' by private bodyguards.
...still, i have my favorite players, worth 10s of millions, and i root for them every time they play.  Go figure.

As not a sports fan, here's my theory:  team performance is correlated with regional wealth.  Regional wealth is an economic measure of value (utility) to the world.  Thus, winning team is best town, according to science.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #388 on: August 16, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »

As not a sports fan, here's my theory:  team performance is correlated with regional wealth.  Regional wealth is an economic measure of value (utility) to the world.  Thus, winning team is best town, according to science.

This theory could be applied to sports that don't have salary caps, e.g. baseball.  Wealthy teams (most often from wealthy regional markets like NYC or LA) can afford to spend big on players.
The theory doesn't hold very well for leagues built on parity, like the NFL.  Everyone gets to spend the same amount on players, and the worst teams the year before get the best picks the following year.  Regionality doesn't enter much nto it, but (arguably) an organization's skill at finding and evaluating players does.

just food for thought.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #389 on: August 16, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »

This theory could be applied to sports that don't have salary caps, e.g. baseball.  Wealthy teams (most often from wealthy regional markets like NYC or LA) can afford to spend big on players.
The theory doesn't hold very well for leagues built on parity, like the NFL.  Everyone gets to spend the same amount on players, and the worst teams the year before get the best picks the following year.  Regionality doesn't enter much nto it, but (arguably) an organization's skill at finding and evaluating players does.

just food for thought.

So what you're saying is the Bears are still going to suck this year. :(

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

Nope.  What I'm saying is that the Bears can't blame being in a smaller market for sucking.  The league gives them every chance to succeed, but still somehow they don't :-P

Before you get out your pitchforks, i'll admit to being a longtime D.C. native and fan of that football team.  You want a textbook example of how poorly a team can do even when the rules push league-parity?  look no further than Washington.  It's been a miserable 26 years.  But then I remind myself, "hey, the whole league is just a bunch of hired millionaires with no real attachment to any city or team".  then i feel slightly better about constantly losing to the f**king cowboys.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: August 17, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »

Nope.  What I'm saying is that the Bears can't blame being in a smaller market for sucking.  The league gives them every chance to succeed, but still somehow they don't :-P

Before you get out your pitchforks, i'll admit to being a longtime D.C. native and fan of that football team.  You want a textbook example of how poorly a team can do even when the rules push league-parity?  look no further than Washington.  It's been a miserable 26 years.  But then I remind myself, "hey, the whole league is just a bunch of hired millionaires with no real attachment to any city or team".  then i feel slightly better about constantly losing to the f**king cowboys.

Ouch, man, ouch. I suppose it's nice you still have some other teams to root for. That's the nice part about being a big market, there's usually a nearby pro-team that's not horrible.

For us, Cubs are still looking good, and the Blackhawks will probably have a solid season again...hopefully they don't get swept in the gdam first round again. :(

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »

Ouch, man, ouch. I suppose it's nice you still have some other teams to root for. That's the nice part about being a big market, there's usually a nearby pro-team that's not horrible.

For us, Cubs are still looking good, and the Blackhawks will probably have a solid season again...hopefully they don't get swept in the gdam first round again. :(

Yup, for those of us who cheer for Washington sports teams we can take pride in our other sports teams and their championships.  Which are of course considerable... we've most recently captured the champsionship in (... pause while nereo looks htis up...) what??!!  1991 was our last championship in ANY sport!?  Oh common!!  How badly can one city collectively suck at sports, particularly in the post-season?? Shouldn't we have at least 'accidentially' won a title by now?? We haven't even made it to the championship game in any of the 'big sports' in two decades...

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »

I see this topic in 2 ways:

I don't get it. I understand someone else likes something, but it just does not do it for me. vs.

I don't get it. I don't even understand how ANYONE would like this.

There are very few things that fall into the latter for me. Sitting here, I am struggling to even come up with one.

Now this football thing I "get". Packer fan in southern WI here. During holidays growing up, family from Illinois would come up to visit. Packers had a bit of a dry spell (about 20 years of crappy teams), and that was during my childhood days. Family bear fans were always great at rubbing it in. Even with an occasional packer win over the bears, my Illinois family would just say, "OK, you got one.... it will still be 20 years of never losing before we are tie in the series rivalry". It worked, as the victory just didn't feel as good after that.

Fun fact: The record for Bears-Packers games is now 94-94-6. The last game in December tied the overall series.

I also find it interesting how rivalries change. During the past 30 years when the packers dominated the bears, the rivalry seemed to diminish and we actually looked for another one. We found it in the Vikings, which was made even larger when Favre went there.

My favorite Bear joke: Why is a dollar better than Jay Cutler?
Because you get 4 quarters out of a dollar.

I am really going to miss him. Your rookie looked pretty good last week.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
I see this thread as teh "**I** don't get".  it didn't even occur to me to view it differently, which is why it seemed so odd when people would attack others for saying that **they** didn't get something.

re: bears/packers games now being tied ... so statistically this means you've played 194 games for nothing :-P

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
Radiohead.  I know people love them, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I used to be disinterested in sports, but now that my kids love it I find myself watching MLS, MLB, NHL and CFL games.  I'm sure NFL is fine but I'm Canadian so...

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: August 17, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
I used to be disinterested in sports, but now that my kids love it I find myself watching MLS, MLB, NHL and CFL games.  I'm sure NFL is fine but I'm Canadian so...
That reminds me... I don't get the CLF.  Why's the the field so big? What's that 12th guy doing? how can you call swatting the ball out of bounds "possession?" Why are 5+ guys running around when the ball hasn't even been snapped? Why is the goalpost serving as an endzone blocker?  and is a redback anything like a redneck?

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: August 21, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
I don't get roadside memorials. Did they leave the body there? Were the family and friends not able to afford a grave?

Also, anyone who is from or drives through South Dakota- they have Think! and Why Die? Signs. Doubt they're helping- how would that even be measured? What a waste of money.

I don't understand paying public funds for professional sports teams. Don't get me started on how much that pisses me off.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
I don't get roadside memorials. Did they leave the body there? Were the family and friends not able to afford a grave?

I suspect that the hope is to remind drivers that their inattention kills people every day.  Unfortunately, for the memorial to be effective the drivers would have to be looking up and out of their vehicle rather than down at their cellphone in lap.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #399 on: August 21, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
Given the event today, I don't get the fascination with the eclipse (and I'm an semi-astronomy nerd).