Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 36651 times)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
I don't get why people like Beyoncé.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
Fun thread. A couple come to mind.

I don't get people who hang credentials at their cube or office wall. The whole 'what do you call the person who graduated last on med school?' always comes to mind.

Because I don't want to keep them in my house.. on the walls or in a file cabinet. Why wouldn't I hang em in the ONLY place they matter.. at work!
Then why not keep them in a drawer or filing cabinet at work? Or somewhere else where you don't make sure it's visible to every single visitor?
I tried googling why physicians hang their diplomas on the wall and your answer comes up often, and IMO it's such a cop-out. There's a reason people with any degree (besides medicine and law) almost never hang up theirs, and it's not that they have better storage options.

So I can stare at them and ponder how much better I am than my visitors.  Or maybe it makes no sense to keep such things in filing cabinet.  If you really don't care, just toss it in the trash?  Why store it at all?  Nobody will ever ask to see it.

My current job actually required me to bring in my college degrees and made photo copies of them.  So, some people ask.

They live in a drawer under my computer desk.  They will likely remain there.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 03:17:52 PM »
I don't get how product recommendations in the media are always like "Budget-Sensible Ideas: Everything You Need For Under $1,000 Each".

Do most people actually spend $100+ on completely random stuff, such that UNDER $1,000 qualifies as "budget"? Are these media targeted at high-earners and aspirational buyers? Is the whole thing a sham to get us to anchor on some high number so that we'll spend more regardless of what price range we're actually in?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
I don't get how product recommendations in the media are always like "Budget-Sensible Ideas: Everything You Need For Under $1,000 Each".

Do most people actually spend $100+ on completely random stuff, such that UNDER $1,000 qualifies as "budget"? Are these media targeted at high-earners and aspirational buyers? Is the whole thing a sham to get us to anchor on some high number so that we'll spend more regardless of what price range we're actually in?
Plenty of it is really just advertising pretending to be content.  Or might as well be (affiliate links galore).

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »
I liked that Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth song. Never heard of them before.
Make $22/hr teaching English from home FOR REALZ! https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896

Latest blog post --> teaching conflict resolution to littles --> http://www.mycasacaoba.com/teach-kids-problem-solving/

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
I liked that Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth song. Never heard of them before.

It's not that the song is terrible, it's just confusing that it is arguably now the single most viewed or listened to piece of music in history.  This is what American culture has come to.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
Why do other people feel the license to parent my kid at the park?

I'm not saying it's right, and I understand that these days it's not considered socially acceptable.  But when I was a kid in the 1970s/1980s, it was perfectly typical for any grownup to parent any kid in pretty much any situation.  At church, at the park, in the grocery store, on the street.  Grownups would regularly tell kids what to do.  More often than not, the kid would often toe the line and do whatever the grownup said.  I think it was even more common before my time, and I've watched it become less common over my life time.

So if these other people are older, it may just be shifting cultural context.  If they're young, well, then they're just rude :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:59:44 PM by secondcor521 »
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
@sol, I don't think it's things we don't like, I think it's things we don't understand.

For me:

1.  The Kardashians and other people who are famous for being famous.  Good work if you can get it maybe, but I still don't get it.
2.  Things that are obviously fads and how they come into popularity and out of popularity.  Fidget spinners for example.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
A general gripe-

SEAL worship.  Light infantry with a demonstrated capability to swim for a long time in cold water.  BFD sez I.

I'm with you, and would even expand that to include worship of the American military in general. Sure, some of them have made sacrifices to "serve" the country, and some have even paid the ultimate price with their lives. But let's not go overboard for f's sake. I mean, they're not ALL HEROES. People seem to forget that military people are, well, humans like the rest of us, which means a substantial number are decidedly not heroic. Among those "heroes" are thousands of murderers, rapists, thieves, treasonous spies, drug dealers, and a whole bunch of regular folks who were just looking to get a job where they could, or liked the benefits the military offered. Yet I guess I'm supposed to walk up to every one of them and say, "Thank you for your service." Yeah, I'll pass unless I know specifically what that person has done to deserve it, if anything.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the "support our troops" movements.    Its been going on for almost 2 decades now. 

Support the troops by bringing them home!   

Home Depot has service member parking right up front which are never used since, guess what?......People in the military cant afford to live in Huntington beach, Ca dummies!     Give these spots to pregnant women or seniors  Jeesh!

Lepetitange3

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Well as a retired service member married to another retired service member who spent 2 decades fighting your wars (if you're an american citizen) ...yes I'm sick and tired and don't get the fact that we get a lot of lip service and no actual interest in ending wars or helping the thousands of us suffering from side effects of that service.  Because it's totally fine to put the bulk of americas foreign policy on the backs of less than 1% of its citizens.  While we may not all be or really characterize ourselves as heroes, most of us have done a hell of a lot more for this country than the conplainypants.  And  those citizens pretend to thank you for 5 minutes but don't actually give a damn about anything that might be helpful to the people serving them. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »

I don't get people who hang credentials at their cube or office wall. The whole 'what do you call the person who graduated last on med school?' always comes to mind.

Because I don't want to keep them in my house.. on the walls or in a file cabinet. Why wouldn't I hang em in the ONLY place they matter.. at work!
Then why not keep them in a drawer or filing cabinet at work? Or somewhere else where you don't make sure it's visible to every single visitor?
I tried googling why physicians hang their diplomas on the wall and your answer comes up often, and IMO it's such a cop-out. There's a reason people with any degree (besides medicine and law) almost never hang up theirs, and it's not that they have better storage options.

So I can stare at them and ponder how much better I am than my visitors.  Or maybe it makes no sense to keep such things in filing cabinet.  If you really don't care, just toss it in the trash?  Why store it at all?  Nobody will ever ask to see it.

My current job actually required me to bring in my college degrees and made photo copies of them.  So, some people ask.

I've only been asked for transcripts, which are much smaller and easy to order as needed.  An actual degree can be easily falsified, which is why serious employers ask for the sealed transcripts directly from the school.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »
Soccer.

Soccer moms whose lives revolve around their kids' soccer to the point of saying no to absolutely everything else in life. This doesn't impact me personally all that often, but it can be annoying on occasion.

Stainless steel appliances. Seriously, WTF? I resisted this for years, then when we remodeled our kitchen last year, I was basically forced to assimilate. I effing hate these things. How have so many consumers been duped for so long by something so very shitty?

Shitty? I beg to differ. I have them in my kitchen and they look lovely and quite appealing. The traditional white appliance? Hell no. Never again.

Mine look fine, too. Until I touch them, get a splash of water on them, cook on them, or generally look at them wrong. And then I can't simply wipe them with a wet cloth...no, it has to be a specially-made stainless steel wipe, because anything else will leave them looking quite a bit less than lovely or appealing. And heaven forbid there's a need to actually scrub anything off of a stainless steel appliance. It will never, ever be the same.

For these reasons, I find them to be annoying as h#!!.  Your mileage obviously varies.

I honestly don't know if you have some kind of crappy grade SS, are exaggerating, or are really bad at cleaning or picky or what.  My SS appliances look fine, and yes I have to wipe the fridge handle once in a while but that's about it.  When I do my normal cleaning I spray it with a little rubbing alcohol and wipe it down.  Same amount of effort as a white or black vinyl covered appliance.

Now, if you don't like the way SS looks, that's fine.  People have different opinions.  But surely you can recognize that some people like the way it looks.  I personally do think metal looks nicer than plastic in general.  I suspect you do not have a white powder coated faucet, for example.  Do you "get" why people have steel faucets?

Well, I'm definitely open to suggestions, although I'm a little hesitant about using rubbing alcohol on the stainless steel. (I'll look it up...don't want to ruin an already-sensitive finish.) We've tried standard cleaning stuff as well as Windex, and the only things that leaves the SS looking even remotely like new are the Wiedman (?) Stainless Steel Wipes. I don't think I'm overly anal; I just don't think it should be so hard to keep appliances looking nice.

I've grown accustomed to the "look" of stainless (at first, I thought it was pretty sterile-looking and not very homey), and I totally get why people have moved away from other colors. I just don't think stainless was the answer. It's too sensitive and way higher maintenance than I prefer. I think appliance manufacturers could have come up with a better "metal-looking" product years ago that would be easier to maintain. But now we're stuck with SS because so many people have it and it's too hard to move toward other options. SS seems to be here to stay for quite a while. I LOVE the "black stainless" mentioned above, but there aren't many appliance/size options, and for that reason, I'm hesitant about it being around for long.

(And to answer your pseudo-question, I don't think we got crappy-grade SS, but it's definitely not the "smudge-proof" type. The fridge is a $2500 Samsung, and the stove is a $3500 KitchenAid. For those prices, the damn things should wipe themselves! Okay, just kidding about that.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »
Just leave the blue film on your appliances like my grandma

Forever Wednesday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
I never really "got" the obsession with owning a house as opposed to renting (in the UK at least).

Each time I run the numbers I get a decent argument in favour of ownership, but it's making pretty generous assumptions (such as not getting laid off, no price crashes, and no hikes on your mortgage interest). The math doesn't seem as clear cut as the enthusiasm suggests.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2017, 06:06:47 AM »
Things I just don't get...

Sports (or as my kids call it "sports ball).  I can't believe the money people spend attending games and buying merchandise and I can't believe the time they spend watching it in person or on TV.  And how depressed they get if their team loses.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Then there is the money that the players and the coaches make...beyond ridiculous. College sports, too...if you don't or didn't go there, why should you even care?

The Bachelor/Bachelorette TV shows.  WTF?

BMWs.  They don't look that great and to me, they smell funny.  Don't see the appeal.

Coach purses. (Or really any kind of expensive purse...) Why carry a bag that costs more than the money you carry inside it?  Honestly, a purse was the first thing I gave up when we FIREd. Now I carry a phone case wallet and that's it.  So liberating not to drag a big bag around everywhere.

Mac computers.  I have always used a PC and Macs make absolutely no sense to me. I love my iPad and loved my iPhone (before Republic Wireless!) but cannot use a Mac computer.

I'm sure if I really think about it there are more things I just don't get but these sprang to mind off the top of my head.  :)

FIREd and loving it on the beautiful Gulf coast beaches!

JanetJackson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2017, 06:29:08 AM »
Oh this is a good thread....
I also don't like the Beatles at all, while I understand their significance.

Dr. Who.  I don't even know what it is.. a miniseries?  A tv show?  Was it a book?  What is all the fuss?  Also, I don't have a TV, so I admit to being out of heckin touch.

I don't get The Big Lebowski.  I've seen it a few times and felt basically the same amount of humor as watching Hot Tub Time Machine or something of the like... and I didn't see it's niche as a 'Cult" movie either.

I don't get Game of Thrones.  I know this is going to be unpopular, but I just can't get into dragon fantasy type of fiction.  It's too much for me.  I don't like fiction that much as it is, unless it's a boom boom action movie that incidentally involves super heroes.

I don't get Brunch.  I mean, I like to eat at all different times of the day, but I don't need to label it.  I guess the idea is that you've slept through "typical" breakfast time and it's not quite "typical" lunch time... but geez, just eat some food and move on with your day.

...People who have pets (specifically dogs) but are awful humans.  I'm not talking about abuse, although of course I hate that... but I'm talking about people who let their dogs run loose on leash-law nature trails and then get upset at you for trying to push their dog away while it's jumping all over yours, people who yell right into their dogs face (there was a woman doing this at a park the other day and I asked her what was wrong with her and we almost had a scuffle, yeeeee) as "punishment", or people who do no training with their pet and then expect them to behave perfectly.  Get a turtle if you don't actually want to do the work (but also, turtles need attention too).

.... I am sure there are things I am forgetting here for sure, but I am too tired this morning to be properly annoyed per usual. ;)

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2017, 06:56:13 AM »
neckties.

Yes!! I think they look stupid, especially when there's no jacket involved and they are just flopping around one's neck.  I'm not opposed to dressing up either.
More broadly I don't get why, in the last half-century we've converged so that men's 'businesswear' is all the same while women (slightly) more choices. The men's default is button-down shirt and tie, and is often codifed that way. 

I also don't get: people involved in professional sports who wear suits and ties (think NBA basketball coaches, but ESPN announcers too).  Why the crap do we expect someone at a sporting event to be dressed in a way that's counter to the event? You can't easily go through the shooting motions wearing a 'sports' coat; why do coaches wear them?? - and before you say 'professionalism' note that baseball managers, swim coaches, gymnastics coaches, football coaches etc don't follow this trend.

I also don't get Facebook, or rather, people's reactions when you say you aren't on FB.  Sure, it can be useful, but to me it's also arguably the biggest waste of time of this decade.  But I feel like a pariah when I tell people I'm not on FB. People seem genuinely confused about how to keep in contact with me when I tell them this... call? text? email? stop by?

I don't get why military spending is a sacred cow in US politics.

I don't get why people feel the need to carry a phone with them every second. 

I don't get what people like about Danny Brown's music.

ETA:
Emotional attachments to cars.  I've seen macho men and grown women literally cry when their car gets scratched up.  I get being upset at having to spend a few thousand dollars, but I don't understand the emotional connection - to me it's just an expensive but easily replaceable tool. With rare exceptions there are tens of thousands of the exact same car out there...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:11:40 AM by nereo »
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »

Dr. Who.  I don't even know what it is.. a miniseries?  A tv show?  Was it a book?  What is all the fuss?  Also, I don't have a TV, so I admit to being out of heckin touch.

I've never "gotten into" Dr. Who, but I can tell you this:
Dr Who is a long running British Sci-Fi series on television about a time-traveling alien who can go anywhere, anytime and look like anyone.  It's been going on since (i think) the 1960s.
Periodically the actor playing the title character changes and the story-line is that s/he has changed forms, so it's all good.

The narrative basically allows the story to go anywhere (literally).

slackmax

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
I don't get people who pay $6.50 for 4 ounces of Gallo jug wine served in a plastic cup. 

Also don't get people who pay $90,  $100,  $200  for one ticket to anything, be it sports, music, whatever. Yet there they are, again and again..... Ok, it's their money, but I just don't get it.   Oh, and these same folks also possibly paid to build the stadium with their tax money, and may have even voted to do so.  Mind-blowing.

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
Celebrity worship of any kind. Athletes, movie stars, politicians. I give 0 shits about any of them and dont need to know what they like or dont like, who they married and what they're doing with their lives.

JanetJackson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »

I've never "gotten into" Dr. Who, but I can tell you this:
Dr Who is a long running British Sci-Fi series on television about a time-traveling alien who can go anywhere, anytime and look like anyone.  It's been going on since (i think) the 1960s.
Periodically the actor playing the title character changes and the story-line is that s/he has changed forms, so it's all good.

The narrative basically allows the story to go anywhere (literally).

Yep yep.... you lost me at "time traveling alien," although I do/did loooooove Stranger Things and that's definitely fiction.  *shrug*

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
I don't get tl/dr  (too long/ didn't read).

Why isn't it tl/wr (too long / won't read).

What is the advantage of scrolling down a huge post in order to see a summary? Why isn't the summary BEFORE the long post?

Who the fuck reads an abstract after reading the entire paper?

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
Why is every inspirational team cheer on 4, but everyone says it is on 3?

TPGW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
It's not that the song is terrible, it's just confusing that it is arguably now the single most viewed or listened to piece of music in history.  This is what American culture has come to.

I don't know if this is a signifier of anything other than it's incredibly easy to access music now.

We've embraced sentimental, catchy, generally fairly trashy music for a long time.  The Monkees had four number one hits in the 60s. 

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
I don't get people who pay $6.50 for 4 ounces of Gallo jug wine served in a plastic cup. 

Also don't get people who pay $90,  $100,  $200  for one ticket to anything, be it sports, music, whatever. Yet there they are, again and again..... Ok, it's their money, but I just don't get it.   Oh, and these same folks also possibly paid to build the stadium with their tax money, and may have even voted to do so.  Mind-blowing.

Normally I would agree but I saw Earth Wind and Fire, Journey and Fleetwood Mac this past Sunday.  That was the best $150 Ive ever spent 😍

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Work-related:

I don't understand people who call or hold meetings when an email would suffice. So annoying, especially since I am a big introvert.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
Work-related:

I don't understand people who call or hold meetings when an email would suffice. So annoying, especially since I am a big introvert.
A variant of this: I don't get it when someone writes a rambling non-proofread punctuation-optional five paragraph essay answer to an email question, when the answer is really one sentence.

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Celebrity worship of any kind. Athletes, movie stars, politicians. I give 0 shits about any of them and dont need to know what they like or dont like, who they married and what they're doing with their lives.

This! Why does everyone on social media FREAK OUT when someone famous dies? "My world is destroyed!"  Really?

I don't get vaping.  The whole thing in general but mostly why it is necessary to blow out a huge puff of smoke/vape juices/whatever. 

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
I don't get vaping.  The whole thing in general but mostly why it is necessary to blow out a huge puff of smoke/vape juices/whatever.

I don't get vaping either.  Also..

I don't get smoking, particularly for anyone under 40 who has grown up knowing the dangers of smoking.  It costs a lot, it ruins your health, and makes you smell bad.

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Not a Beatles fan.  I am however a Monkees fan and have seen them all together and separately :).

I don't get the sudden surge in everything Marvel-related, i.e. it seems like every character now has it's own show/movie/merchandise.  Most of them I've never even heard of.

Star Wars...just ugh.  (I'm a Trekkie...sorry)

I agree with those who say enough with the military worship.

Man caves.  Why?  I don't get that whole thing.  Why do you need a room devoted to you?  I mean, do you hate your partner that much that you need a room to get away from them?  And She Sheds.  WTF?

Whining because you can't afford something.  I belong to a crochet group and I see posts almost everyday with someone whining because they can't afford yarn to do a project.  We're not talking about expensive yarn, we're talking about $3-$4 yarn.  This type of yarn is always on sale and the places that carry it usually have coupons for it every week, so total cost for a skein would be around $2 each.  Are people really that broke?  Of course if you say something negative you're mean, so I just back and smh.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
Wine. It all tastes like gasoline and grape juice to me. Even the stuff that is supposed to be really good still tastes bad to me.

Sunroofs on cars. It's just another point of failure and reduces headroom. Plus you get to pay extra for the point of failure and reduced head room.

Land line phones. Unless you live in a rural area with lousy cellular coverage and no broadband, I don't know why anyone keeps paying for a land line.
I can kill two birds with one landline here.

Navigation systems are usefuly for those of us who dont have call phones. While I dont have a navigation system, I have thought about it. Our Swiss relatives brought theirs for their month long drive around the U.S. even though they have cell phones. They are used to it and who knows if they can get one in German, they borrowed a family car.

I have a landline because I cannot hear or understand  too many of the communications that come thru cell technology. I am keeping it for the day when I am really old (am pretty old now) and need to sit on the phone with gubmnt officials feom Social Security, Medicaid,etc.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:35:19 AM by iris lily »

Ann

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2017, 01:48:54 AM »

In Texas, some medical fields require that "The license must be displayed where it is visible to the public."  Gotta display it if they want to keep their license.  I don't know about other fields.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »

Tangentially-related anecdote incoming.

My husband and I met at uni, had been dating almost four years by graduation. We got matching frames (different matting) on our degrees in case they were ever hanging side by side. Been married eight years now and they're still under the spare bed.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:17 AM »

Tangentially-related anecdote incoming.

My husband and I met at uni, had been dating almost four years by graduation. We got matching frames (different matting) on our degrees in case they were ever hanging side by side. Been married eight years now and they're still under the spare bed.

Weird (to us) related situation.  When I started graduate school in Quebec, the university required me to show them my undergraduate diploma.  NOT my official transcripts showing my GPA, courses and proof of graduation (which they would not accept) but the piece of paper mentioned above.  We had no idea where it was and it took a few days to track it down at my parents house.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »

I don't get smoking, particularly for anyone under 40 who has grown up knowing the dangers of smoking.  It costs a lot, it ruins your health, and makes you smell bad.

i usually give a pass on smokers older than me (52) but i've known my whole life it's bad. i see people younger than me smoking and think 'why?'. i'm also appalled by the food people eat but that's a whole nother topic.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2017, 07:02:36 AM »
Work-related:

A variant of this: I don't get it when someone writes a rambling non-proofread punctuation-optional five paragraph essay answer to an email question, when the answer is really one sentence.
Yes, agreed. Get to the point, and put the bottom line up front. I don't have time to read meandering emails!

Well, I have the time, but I don't really want to read them!

GrumpyPenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
People who "don't like water". How do you not like water?

I've met a person who doesn't like "fruit" and another that doesn't like "vegetables."  The whole categories.  These are adults, and they try to avoid these entire food categories.  I don't get it.

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2017, 07:58:11 AM »
Work-related:

Yes, agreed. Get to the point, and put the bottom line up front. I don't have time to read meandering emails!

Your posts may be informative to an issue I have...

I will often respond to emails, with the conclusion in bold, top line: We should do XY, Z. For details, read below.
I then proceed with the technical reasons for the bolded conclusion.

This is usually followed by a meeting request, where everyone asks questions that were clearly answered in the details of that.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Weird (to us) related situation.  When I started graduate school in Quebec, the university required me to show them my undergraduate diploma.  NOT my official transcripts showing my GPA, courses and proof of graduation (which they would not accept) but the piece of paper mentioned above.  We had no idea where it was and it took a few days to track it down at my parents house.

I never had to do that, transcripts all the way.  But DD needed her original HS Diploma for work (federal civil service).  Even though I think they already had her university transcript.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »

i usually give a pass on smokers older than me (52) but i've known my whole life it's bad. i see people younger than me smoking and think 'why?'. i'm also appalled by the food people eat but that's a whole nother topic.

I don't give anyone a pass on this one. We've always known smoking was bad for you. My grandpa started smoking as a child in the 1930s and he said even back then they were called coffin nails.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:56 AM »

I've met a person who doesn't like "fruit" and another that doesn't like "vegetables."  The whole categories.  These are adults, and they try to avoid these entire food categories.  I don't get it.

Yup.  I've met several like this.  One of my friends likes only carbs, cheese, sweets, and meat.  He developed diabetes, needless to say.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
Work-related:

Your posts may be informative to an issue I have...

I will often respond to emails, with the conclusion in bold, top line: We should do XY, Z. For details, read below.
I then proceed with the technical reasons for the bolded conclusion.

This is usually followed by a meeting request, where everyone asks questions that were clearly answered in the details of that.
I've found that fear is a great motivator for management to continue reading a (necessarily) long email from IT (that's me).

First, present option A, scary result that will happen if we do nothing and don't fix problem X.

Second, present option B, very costly (and scary because of that) solution to problem X that I'd like in a perfect world.

Third, present option C, the middle ground, less scary due to price, but still mostly solving problem X.

As concise and detail-free as possible.  Strategic, sparingly-used bold along the way can help sustain fear as well.

That way they still usually read the whole email, and will go with option C most of the time, but if option B isn't as scary as I think it is, they'll stop reading there and we'll go with that.

GrumpyPenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
I don't get why so many people don't vote.  I get that some people might have legitimate difficulties with the process, but the turnout (especially in non-presidential election years) is just atrocious.

nowseehere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
I don't get why so many people don't vote.  I get that some people might have legitimate difficulties with the process, but the turnout (especially in non-presidential election years) is just atrocious.

I reckon it's a combination of 2 things: The major parties are quite the opposite of each other, yet people have been brainwashed into thinking they're the same, so don't bother to vote; and something like 40% of voters are registered as independent, yet are very rarely presented with any other choice between R's and D's, and again, don't bother to vote.

I personally think States with closed primaries need to stop this practice and open all elections to all voters, and we need to change the ballot to reflect ranked choice.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »

I reckon it's a combination of 2 things: The major parties are quite the opposite of each other, yet people have been brainwashed into thinking they're the same, so don't bother to vote; and something like 40% of voters are registered as independent, yet are very rarely presented with any other choice between R's and D's, and again, don't bother to vote.

That's odd... having lived outside the US for a while and having had to constantly try to explain the two political parties to people here I've come to believe that Rs and Ds are much more similar to each other than most other parties in other countries. 
In other words, I think the Green party and Conservative party in Canada are much furhter apart from each other than the GOP and Democrats.  Or the Labour party v. Liberal democrats...

I constantly hear the sentiment from non-US citizens that there seems to be very little seperating the two.

So, to postulate a different theory - perhaps many don't vote because they think regardless of who is in power, little will change.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
That's odd... having lived outside the US for a while and having had to constantly try to explain the two political parties to people here I've come to believe that Rs and Ds are much more similar to each other than most other parties in other countries. 
In other words, I think the Green party and Conservative party in Canada are much furhter apart from each other than the GOP and Democrats.  Or the Labour party v. Liberal democrats...

I constantly hear the sentiment from non-US citizens that there seems to be very little seperating the two.

On reflection I think that is true about American political parties - right wing and really right wing. Seriously, Americans would think our Liberals are left-wing, until they looked at the NDP.  And the Green Party is on another axis altogether.  Not to mention the Bloc Quebecois.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

Yup.  I've met several like this.  One of my friends likes only carbs, cheese, sweets, and meat.  He developed diabetes, needless to say.

I'm one!  I don't like fruit (like the vast majority of fruit).  It's kinda sticky and slimy.  I'd rather eat vegetables, and I generally consider vegetables healthier than fruit since they have less sugar.  Like if my wife says "go eat a banana!" I'l say "yuck, no I'll eat some broccoli".  Also, just because I don't particularly like fruit doesn't mean I don't eat it sometimes.  I won't like pick it out of a salad or anything.  Except bananas.  Anything food that touched a banana is dead to me.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »

I'm one!  I don't like fruit (like the vast majority of fruit).  It's kinda sticky and slimy.  I'd rather eat vegetables, and I generally consider vegetables healthier than fruit since they have less sugar.  Like if my wife says "go eat a banana!" I'l say "yuck, no I'll eat some broccoli".  Also, just because I don't particularly like fruit doesn't mean I don't eat it sometimes.  I won't like pick it out of a salad or anything.  Except bananas.  Anything food that touched a banana is dead to me.

I kinda figured you just ate only flame-grilled meat.  Knights and things...  What does a banana do to a dragon's digestive system?

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
I missed 2006 mid-terms because I wasn't registered yet. Just too lazy to get around to doing it. Registered afterwards.

I've missed most off-year elections (municipal) because I had not the damndest idea of the issues or what was going on.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

I've met a person who doesn't like "fruit" and another that doesn't like "veguetables."  The whole categories.  These are adults, and they try to avoid these entire food categories.  I don't get it.

I don't get that people think diet causes diabetes. It doesn't. Of course it can (and often does) exacerbate high blood sugar for those with the genetic misfortune of being so inclined.

A (VoIP) landline allows for better quality calls and a cheaper cell phone plan.

I don't get anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO, and organic everything.