Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 24549 times)

dougules

• Pencil Stache
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
I think we might be better off expressing our gratitude to soldiers by doing things like providing veterans with better medical care and counseling, rather than strong-arming grade schoolers into reciting a loyalty pledge.

This 1000%!  We send them around the world to some of the most dangerous places to protect us, yet when they get home we say 'Thanks for going, sorry you got injured or need to talk to someone but we just can't pay for that'.  That's the thing that really just pisses me off.

And no, we shouldn't force kids (or anyone really) into saying the pledge.  There are many other ways to be patriotic besides mumbling some words while looking at a flag.
How do you suggest teaching kids to be patriotic?

It's weird that some people think that kids need to be taught to be patriotic.  I like my country because it's a decent place (although I'm certainly aware of it's flaws).  Because it's a decent place, people who live here tend to like it.  Attempting to force someone (especially little kids) to like a place kinda makes you seem like you don't really believe that it's a nice place.

But I'm a Canadian, and there's a lot of stuff that you guys down south do that doesn't make sense to me.  :P

Shouldn't there have been an apology in there somewhere?

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
I think we might be better off expressing our gratitude to soldiers by doing things like providing veterans with better medical care and counseling, rather than strong-arming grade schoolers into reciting a loyalty pledge.

This 1000%!  We send them around the world to some of the most dangerous places to protect us, yet when they get home we say 'Thanks for going, sorry you got injured or need to talk to someone but we just can't pay for that'.  That's the thing that really just pisses me off.

And no, we shouldn't force kids (or anyone really) into saying the pledge.  There are many other ways to be patriotic besides mumbling some words while looking at a flag.
How do you suggest teaching kids to be patriotic?

Why not start with where the pledge itself came from?  How about teaching them about our rights and freedoms.  Tell them about our presidents, especially our Founding Fathers and how dangerous it was at the time to not only write, but sign the Declaration.  Teach them to be good citizens and to help others.  There's plenty of ways to teach kids besides reciting the same words every day.
I personally had trouble understanding the significance of our Independence until much later.  I guess I never heard that Americans had issues with the Pledge or National Anthem.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
I don't get it:

The foot-high spoilers on the back of Subaru Imprezas. WTF? It's still a Subaru.

People who back into parking spaces and take 7 tries to do so.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

Shakespeare is meant to be heard, not read.  I was indoctrinated into Shakespeare early, thanks to an Anglophile mother with a massive crush on Laurence Olivier.  Mr. Mandalay, who like pretty much all Americans was forced to read Shakespeare in high school and therefore thought him boring and incomprehensible, whined one night early in our relationship when I rented Olivier's version of Richard III.  Within ten minutes, he was mesmerized, and he completely understood what was going on.  Don't read Shakespeare--go see a play or a movie.  You'll get it, I promise.  :D
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: We Now Return You To Civilization

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
I don't get it:

The foot-high spoilers on the back of Subaru Imprezas. WTF? It's still a Subaru.

People who buy big vehicles they don't have the skill to park or can't judge the size of a parking space. You didn't figure this out during your test drive?

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

Shakespeare is meant to be heard, not read.  I was indoctrinated into Shakespeare early, thanks to an Anglophile mother with a massive crush on Laurence Olivier.  Mr. Mandalay, who like pretty much all Americans was forced to read Shakespeare in high school and therefore thought him boring and incomprehensible, whined one night early in our relationship when I rented Olivier's version of Richard III.  Within ten minutes, he was mesmerized, and he completely understood what was going on.  Don't read Shakespeare--go see a play or a movie.  You'll get it, I promise.  :D

His language has a beautiful flow to it, no question, it was very nice in the movie version of Romeo and Juliet with that guy that fell off the big boat.  But a large percent of the intended meaning is well over my head-it is just not modern English/modern slang.  I like Rammstein but I would never claim to understand what the songs are about.  For all I know they are singing about fuzzy bunnies and rainbows.  One of the measures of a good movies (and I would assume a live play) is that you can follow the major themes without knowing the language. 

To the post up thread that said something to the effect that "in God we Trust" and "indivisible under god" are there out of tradition.  Fuck that.  No we as a nation have done lots of really bad things and to continue them "out of tradition" would be wrong.  If tradition says NASCAR makes left turns - fine whatever.  But if you are actually going do decide something of importance and the only thing it has going for it is that that is how we have always done it - that is really rather dumb.  "Marriage has always been between one man and one woman so we should keep doing that" how is that even remotely a defensible position? 

So I guess that is one more thing I dont get.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »
I don't get it:

People who buy big vehicles they don't have the skill to park or can't judge the size of a parking space. You didn't figure this out during your test drive?

Oh, man, exACTly.

In other words, 90% of SUV drivers. FFS.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

yakamashii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
I don't get how this thread went to not honoring our soldiers, not being patriotic, and issues with a christian country having the word God on money and the pledge.

What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit?

What is wrong with just taking a moment, to honor the flag and what it represents at a sporting event?  Use the time to be grateful that you live in such a nice place.

I don't get why people are so annoyed at such a small gesture of gratitude.

Nobody said there was anything wrong with it. Yakamashi asked why it is done several hundred times a year at sporting events.

It's not gratitude when you're bullied or otherwise compelled to do it.  Gratitude and patriotism are things someone feels.  When the external celebration of said feeling becomes mandatory (which we in America love to play with) it's no longer a feeling and instead becomes dogmatic and the exact opposite of the freedom that patriotic fervor professes to be protecting.  There is no punch card or metric you have to wave around to show that you're patriotic enough.  Who keeps score?  It's a very insecure person who requires themselves to be thanked at every turn.

I don't understand why sporting events, and why not concerts, Black Friday openings, or any other place where some defined number of Americans congregate? Definitely not advocating that, as I find the near-compulsory nature of it repugnant.

The fact that it happens so often at sporting events, but not at other events with similar attendance/attention, makes its nature more transparent: "Here, let's feed some canned patriotism to these people who came here to forget about life and enjoy an athletic spectacle."
"There isn't time -- so brief is life -- for bickerings, apologies, heartburnings, callings to account. There is only time for loving -- and but an instant, so to speak, for that."

Mark Twain

teen persuasion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »

So true!  In HS some friends were in an adjunct college-level English course, and dragged me along to watch King Lear with them.  That's when Shakespeare clicked for me - watching and listening made so much more sense than reading (my section was reading Romeo and Juliet).

In college we began going to the annual Shakespeare in the Park performances, and we've gone every year since.  It's a family affair - we've brought the kids along since they were babies.  Even in elementary school, the kids have had a great grasp on what's going on, because of how the actors deliver the lines, and the action.  All that is missing when just reading the script.  I find it fascinating when a production interprets a part in a different manner, it puts a new spin on the story I hadn't considered before, say if lines are delivered in a sarcastic tone vs a serious or playful tone.

We really need to get back for the second play this summer; the first one was a fun all-female version of Merry Wives of Windsor.

Thus, I guess I don't get why English teachers insist on reading Shakespeare, vs viewing it as intended.

applegrapepie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:04 AM »
I think their music is just reputation and representative of 80s.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »

So true!  In HS some friends were in an adjunct college-level English course, and dragged me along to watch King Lear with them.  That's when Shakespeare clicked for me - watching and listening made so much more sense than reading (my section was reading Romeo and Juliet).

In college we began going to the annual Shakespeare in the Park performances, and we've gone every year since.  It's a family affair - we've brought the kids along since they were babies.  Even in elementary school, the kids have had a great grasp on what's going on, because of how the actors deliver the lines, and the action.  All that is missing when just reading the script.  I find it fascinating when a production interprets a part in a different manner, it puts a new spin on the story I hadn't considered before, say if lines are delivered in a sarcastic tone vs a serious or playful tone.

We really need to get back for the second play this summer; the first one was a fun all-female version of Merry Wives of Windsor.

Thus, I guess I don't get why English teachers insist on reading Shakespeare, vs viewing it as intended.

So true.

I had read a few plays in high school classes and liked them, but it was a few live performances + the awesomeness of Branagh's Henry V (which I saw in theater and was so excited by that I actually trembled with adrenaline through the whole thing LOL) that made me 'get' it and start loving Shakespeare.   My youngest sister was happily watching (and critiquing) various productions of Hamlet by the time she was 8 or 9.  Of course, she didn't get every line/word, but she fully well grasped the plots and the flow of the action, loved the language, and had opinions about different actors and production details.   That was certainly because she was immersed from childhood in spoken productions.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

So true.

I had read a few plays in high school classes and liked them, but it was a few live performances + the awesomeness of Branagh's Henry V (which I saw in theater and was so excited by that I actually trembled with adrenaline through the whole thing LOL) that made me 'get' it and start loving Shakespeare.   My youngest sister was happily watching (and critiquing) various productions of Hamlet by the time she was 8 or 9.  Of course, she didn't get every line/word, but she fully well grasped the plots and the flow of the action, loved the language, and had opinions about different actors and production details.   That was certainly because she was immersed from childhood in spoken productions.

Branagh has done a lot to keep Shakespeare relevant.  When I was in high school we read Hamlet. Our teacher showed us clips from the Lawrence Olivier version.  Most of us couldn't understand or simply stand the style. It seemed like a lot of preachy overacting.  Then a group of us rented Branagh's Hamlet and watched it on a Saturday afternoon. We loved it.  It convinced me to seek out a couple other Shakespeare plays.

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
Botox. I seriously don't get it. Why would anyone pay to have a toxin found in botulism injected into their face?

Sure, take care of your skin, hydrate, moisturize, use SPF. But it's ok to look your age.

Rimu05

• Stubble
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »
Celebrity worship of any kind. Athletes, movie stars, politicians. I give 0 shits about any of them and dont need to know what they like or dont like, who they married and what they're doing with their lives.

I remember following some celebs I liked on social media and I had stopped following a good portion of them in like two weeks. Turns out, just because I liked your character in a film does not mean I care about you in real life. There are people who are way too invested in celebrities like these celebrities actually care. This is even crazier in Asian countries, I just don't even know why anyone would chase fame.

Someone previously mentioned the celebrities dying thing and yes to that. Honestly, I hate to admit it, when David Bowie passed away I was very confused because I thought he had died in like the 70s. I initially thought it was fake news until everyone on facebook started going RIP David Bowie. I was actually more shocked he had still been alive.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:13:43 PM by Rimu05 »

Rimu05

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »

So true.

Branagh has done a lot to keep Shakespeare relevant.  When I was in high school we read Hamlet. Our teacher showed us clips from the Lawrence Olivier version.  Most of us couldn't understand or simply stand the style. It seemed like a lot of preachy overacting.  Then a group of us rented Branagh's Hamlet and watched it on a Saturday afternoon. We loved it.  It convinced me to seek out a couple other Shakespeare plays.

I seem to be the opposite of people here. I think Shakespeare read is far better than seen, but I really don't like Shakespeare much and my teacher in High School told me it's that I can't understand the content and I had to simply explain that almost all of Shakespeare's stories are terrible plots masked by pretty language. Almost all the tragedies begin with a silly misunderstanding followed by very avoidable deaths and situations. In fact, if I didn't love the language, I would never read it. If someone wrote Romeo and Juliet with simple modern day language, we would all roll our eyes like we do the romantic vampire stories. The language really saves what are very mundane and silly plots. Like the last line of Romeo and Juliet really makes you forgive what a silly story it is.

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings
The sun for sorrow will not show his head..."

I honestly have memorized some lines from the books I've read just because he truly is a great writer

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

So true.

I seem to be the opposite of people here. I think Shakespeare read is far better than seen, but I really don't like Shakespeare much and my teacher in High School told me it's that I can't understand the content and I had to simply explain that almost all of Shakespeare's stories are terrible plots masked by pretty language. Almost all the tragedies begin with a silly misunderstanding followed by very avoidable deaths and situations. In fact, if I didn't love the language, I would never read it. If someone wrote Romeo and Juliet with simple modern day language, we would all roll our eyes like we do the romantic vampire stories. The language really saves what are very mundane and silly plots. Like the last line of Romeo and Juliet really makes you forgive what a silly story it is.

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings
The sun for sorrow will not show his head..."

I honestly have memorized some lines from the books I've read just because he truly is a great writer

The English teacher and I had a similar understanding, but mostly regarding poetry. It bled into Shakespeare a little too. She was the kind of English teacher who saw meaning and interpretation with every written word that she saw (and she wouldn't shut up about how awesome it was that she got her BA and Masters from UC Berkeley).  I tend to take things much more literally and so I wasn't able to write a 5 page paper on a 10-line Robert Frost poem.  To me those words meant what it said on the tin - there wasn't anything to interpret. Where she got Hamlet's father walking down the hall listening to drums equaling a Masters thesis worth of discussion I have no idea. The reason I enjoy watching Branagh is his interpretations are more down to Earth.  Olivier was practically crying when he told Ophelia to get out of town. Branagh came across as a complete dick.  It made more sense to a room full of 17 year olds. 

You're right in that Shakespeare told stories about some really irresponsible people ruining their lives and everyone around them, but his way with words made it enjoyable to read.  When you can say you've added a couple hundred words to your native tongue you might be doing something right.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
Botox. I seriously don't get it. Why would anyone pay to have a toxin found in botulism injected into their face?

Sure, take care of your skin, hydrate, moisturize, use SPF. But it's ok to look your age.

I was talking to someone about Botox and joked that I like to Botox my balls for that smoothness all the ladies crave.  Apparently it's a real thing people do.  Now that I don't get.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »

I was talking to someone about Botox and joked that I like to Botox my balls for that smoothness all the ladies crave.  Apparently it's a real thing people do.  Now that I don't get.

OMFG! LOL

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #318 on: August 08, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
Reality TV (how ironically named)

Sports fandom - I'm talking about the hyper fans.... I worked with a guy who seemingly had no control over his moods. How he behaved was dependent on whether his team had won or lost the prior evening. What a pathetic moping puppy he was after a loss. His work was also shit on those days.

Rap music.
FIREd July 2014

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Celebrity worship of any kind. Athletes, movie stars, politicians. I give 0 shits about any of them and dont need to know what they like or dont like, who they married and what they're doing with their lives.

I remember following some celebs I liked on social media and I had stopped following a good portion of them in like two weeks. Turns out, just because I liked your character in a film does not mean I care about you in real life. There are people who are way too invested in celebrities like these celebrities actually care. This is even crazier in Asian countries, I just don't even know why anyone would chase fame.

Someone previously mentioned the celebrities dying thing and yes to that. Honestly, I hate to admit it, when David Bowie passed away I was very confused because I thought he had died in like the 70s. I initially thought it was fake news until everyone on facebook started going RIP David Bowie. I was actually more shocked he had still been alive.

How did you live through the late 80's/early 90's and not see Bowie in the Labyrinth???

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »

How did you live through the late 80's/early 90's and not see Bowie in the Labyrinth???

Or, more accurately, his crotch.

My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: August 08, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »

Or, more accurately, his crotch.

LOL, that movie ushered me into womanhood, I'm pretty sure. 

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
The best part of David Bowie in that movie was that he didn't have to act at all.  I'm pretty sure that he really was a goblin king / baby snatcher in real life.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
The best part of David Bowie in that movie was that he didn't have to act at all.  I'm pretty sure that he really was a goblin king / baby snatcher in real life.

He didn't even have to juggle: https://youtu.be/3U8fTAHxjdo?t=54

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:28 AM »
I don't understand why so many people riding bicycles I see around town don't raise the seat. It would make their ride so much more enjoyable

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
I don't understand why so many people riding bicycles I see around town don't raise the seat. It would make their ride so much more enjoyable

I move my seat lower when I'm either going on a leisurely ride or hauling my kids. The advantage is that I don't have to hop on and off the seat at every stoplight.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:26 AM »

I don't understand why sporting events, and why not concerts, Black Friday openings, or any other place where some defined number of Americans congregate? Definitely not advocating that, as I find the near-compulsory nature of it repugnant.

What about churches. That seems a very reasonable place to pledge, since it is your freedom that allows you to worship how you like.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
YES. my knees hurt just seeing that.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
the amount of horsepower available in autos today. i don't understand.

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »

They're getting heavier with all the safety equipment. In order to retain the sort of acceleration that Americans expect, the power also goes up. At the extreme end, it also sells cars to a certain demographic, even if they have no idea how to safely use that sort of power.

Good news: you can still get cars with around 100 HP if you want one. Bad news: it won't get quite the fuel economy of a Geo Metro because it's still heavier. Good news: you are far less likely to die horribly in a crash in the new cars than in a Metro.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »
Good news: you can still get cars with around 100 HP if you want one. Bad news: it won't get quite the fuel economy of a Geo Metro because it's still heavier. Good news: you are far less likely to die horribly in a crash in the new cars than in a Metro.
Man, I *wish* my old Metro had 100hp.  I think it had 55hp out of the factory, less by the time I got it.

Though, it did get "only" 45MPG, and a modern small hybrid (Prius C) will outdo that, and with more than 55hp (but weighing 2500lbs instead of 1600lbs).

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: August 09, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

They're getting heavier with all the safety equipment. In order to retain the sort of acceleration that Americans expect, the power also goes up. At the extreme end, it also sells cars to a certain demographic, even if they have no idea how to safely use that sort of power.

soory. i'm referring to the enormous amounts, like 300hp and up. 800hp? seriously?

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
I don't get why people are jerks to others who don't know unusual jargon.

Like my friend is confused some people don't know what "soft copy" means. It's not in common parlance, and we don't even use real soft copies.

Or my friend who gets a bit judgy when others don't know what "muntins" are on windows.

This makes no sense. Knowledge should not be used as a judgmental tool.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

Like my friend is confused some people don't know what "soft copy" means. It's not in common parlance, and we don't even use real soft copies.

Or my friend who gets a bit judgy when others don't know what "muntins" are on windows.

What's a "soft copy"? And what's a "real soft copy"?

Asking for a friend.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
Ape hangers on motorcycles. (Trying a little too hard, IMO.)
   A. I will NEVER be convinced those things are comfortable for more than about 8 seconds.
   B. They look immensely stupid.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »

Asking for a friend.

So in common parlance/my field of work, a "hard copy" is a printed or physical medium of information. Like, if I bill you something, and print it out on paper, that's a "hard copy."

"Soft copy" is the inverse. I email you the invoice. NO ONE talks like this.

Per actual government regulations, actual soft copies are "nonpermanent display images," like on a computer.

This terminology actually pre-dates computers, but again, no one ever talks this way anymore.

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »

soory. i'm referring to the enormous amounts, like 300hp and up. 800hp? seriously?

300 at least isn't unusable. It can get you in trouble if you are dumb with it, but getting two tons of steel accelerating to 60 mph in 6 seconds requires it. Modern tires and traction control mean there isn't really wheel spin. Modern high power cars aren't scary in the way the big block C3 Corvette was, at any rate.

Not that we need 0-60 times below 6 seconds. Anything under 8 is fast enough for most and anything under 10 should be perfectly fine getting on most highways. But a two ton luxury car can't be so slow that an economy car is faster or it won't sell, so more power it is.

800 hp is the extreme end where someone was successfully marketed a Hellcat. The fact that there were limited numbers and many will probably get wrapped around trees probably means the ones that survive will be worth something to collectors some day. There's no point to driving such a thing, though.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
   A. I will NEVER be convinced those things are comfortable for more than about 8 seconds.

C. They logically must make the bike a hell of a lot harder to maneuver. WTF??
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »

Asking for a friend.

So in common parlance/my field of work, a "hard copy" is a printed or physical medium of information. Like, if I bill you something, and print it out on paper, that's a "hard copy."

Per actual government regulations, actual soft copies are "nonpermanent display images," like on a computer.

This terminology actually pre-dates computers, but again, no one ever talks this way anymore.

I used to hear "soft" and "hard" copy (and sometimes still hear hard copy), but whenever we send an email we're sending you that information "on digits."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »

300 at least isn't unusable. It can get you in trouble if you are dumb with it, but getting two tons of steel accelerating to 60 mph in 6 seconds requires it. Modern tires and traction control mean there isn't really wheel spin. Modern high power cars aren't scary in the way the big block C3 Corvette was, at any rate.

Not that we need 0-60 times below 6 seconds. Anything under 8 is fast enough for most and anything under 10 should be perfectly fine getting on most highways. But a two ton luxury car can't be so slow that an economy car is faster or it won't sell, so more power it is.

800 hp is the extreme end where someone was successfully marketed a Hellcat. The fact that there were limited numbers and many will probably get wrapped around trees probably means the ones that survive will be worth something to collectors some day. There's no point to driving such a thing, though.

My car has about 6 second 0-60 time and there are some onramps where I definitely use it (uphill with very short merge).  When I drive my wife's car it feels really dangerous because I'm entering the freeway slower than traffic but I can't just sit at the top of the onramp waiting for traffic to pass either.  Maybe you are saying 6s is about the limit of what could be needed?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:31:03 PM by dragoncar »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »

For a layperson, no problem, but I do get testy if my coworkers don't know an acronym that would be very common to them if they paid any attention while earning their supposed degree.  Like a computer engineer asking me what a CPU is. 

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #341 on: August 09, 2017, 08:02:54 PM »

Asking for a friend.

Orly?

Many people in my office use the terms hard copy & soft copy often.  We are slooooooowly transitioning away from paper-based workloads.  So for the time being, we often have both, or need to determine if we have one or the other (if we have hard copy, is this one of those things we can turn into soft copy? For example.)
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #342 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »

Asking for a friend.

Orly?

Many people in my office use the terms hard copy & soft copy often.  We are slooooooowly transitioning away from paper-based workloads.  So for the time being, we often have both, or need to determine if we have one or the other (if we have hard copy, is this one of those things we can turn into soft copy? For example.)

send me a wet copy

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »

C. They logically must make the bike a hell of a lot harder to maneuver. WTF??

D. They obstruct vision. (Rather,  the arms do.)

GenXbiker

• Stubble
« Reply #344 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
I don't get how this thread went to not honoring our soldiers, not being patriotic, and issues with a Christian country having the word God on money and the pledge.

What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit?
What is wrong with just taking a moment, to honor the flag and what it represents at a sporting event?  Use the time to be grateful that you live in such a nice place.

You know, you can always go live in Venezuela where socialism is thriving.  If you go, please take that sack of lying garbage lena dunham with you.

^^^^  This!

+1000000000000000000000000

I was thinking the exact same thing!

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2017, 02:56:23 AM »
I don't get how this thread went to not honoring our soldiers, not being patriotic, and issues with a Christian country having the word God on money and the pledge.

You know, you can always go live in Venezuela where socialism is thriving.  If you go, please take that sack of lying garbage lena dunham with you.

^^^^  This!

I don't know. I wasn't a soldier, but was in the US Armed Forced for a while. I always thought it was kinda weird when people thanked me for my service since I got a lot of education payed for from that service, a steady paycheck, free medical/dental care, and a lot of interesting experiences and more. Not everyone in the military is on the front lines defending freedom whatever that means BTW. But I will say it's a lot easier to give someone a "thank you" than it is to not grumble about paying your taxes.

Also I need to get this straight: it's ok for the military to defend the freedom of speech to say stupid shit, but not ok when someone expresses dissatisfaction with something with our country- those people can get the hell out? Have you heard of cognitive dissonance?

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: August 10, 2017, 03:28:48 AM »
People who throw the garbage out of their car onto the street. I wonder if they actually live where they do this as in "don't shit where you eat."

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:09 AM »

^^^^  This!

I don't know. I wasn't a soldier, but was in the US Armed Forced for a while. I always thought it was kinda weird when people thanked me for my service since I got a lot of education payed for from that service, a steady paycheck, free medical/dental care, and a lot of interesting experiences and more. Not everyone in the military is on the front lines defending freedom whatever that means BTW. But I will say it's a lot easier to give someone a "thank you" than it is to not grumble about paying your taxes.

Also I need to get this straight: it's ok for the military to defend the freedom of speech to say stupid shit, but not ok when someone expresses dissatisfaction with something with our country- those people can get the hell out? Have you heard of cognitive dissonance?

+ 10000000000.

Thank you.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #348 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »

Asking for a friend.

Orly?

I've never heard the term "soft copy" in busy until yesterday. :(

Maybe I'm not special enough.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »

send me a wet copy

You mean a sloppy copy?