Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 45028 times)

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

obligatory:  https://xkcd.com/483/  I really wanted to finish Anathem but just could not.  It is a fucking TV, call it a TV.  We dont need two pages talking about how we are not going to call it a TV or four other made up names for a TV.

I'm guessing you didn't like A Clockwork Orange, either?  lol

Ha. I admit I didn't make it through that when I tried in junior year of HS.  Should I try again?

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

obligatory:  https://xkcd.com/483/  I really wanted to finish Anathem but just could not.  It is a fucking TV, call it a TV.  We dont need two pages talking about how we are not going to call it a TV or four other made up names for a TV.

Ha. I admit I didn't make it through that when I tried in junior year of HS.  Should I try again?

I only know about the book because of Kubrick's movie.  But the movie was hard enough to get through, I can't imagine trying to read the book.  I wasn't poking fun at you, I was poking fun with you :)
Frugalite in training.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »

I only know about the book because of Kubrick's movie.  But the movie was hard enough to get through, I can't imagine trying to read the book.  I wasn't poking fun at you, I was poking fun with you :)
I read the book ahead of seeing the Kubrick film, but I definitely felt like the film would have been trickier to get without the book.  I really liked the book, and Kubrick did a solid job.

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »

I read the book in e-book format and didn't realize there was a glossary in the back of the e-book, which would have been annoying to access anyway. I'd figured almost everything out real horrorshow by about the midpoint just from context.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »

I read the book ahead of seeing the Kubrick film, but I definitely felt like the film would have been trickier to get without the book.  I really liked the book, and Kubrick did a solid job.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Kubrick and enjoyed the movie the 2 or 3 times I've seen it.  But it does not inspire me to want to read the book. 
Frugalite in training.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2017, 10:31:40 PM »

I don't get Game of Thrones.  I know this is going to be unpopular, but I just can't get into dragon fantasy type of fiction.  It's too much for me.  I don't like fiction that much as it is, unless it's a boom boom action movie that incidentally involves super heroes.

I just... I can't... (curls up in corner and weeps silently into her tail)

Shh bby is ok

Made. My. DAY!!! :-D
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

msmargarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
I don't get why frozen hot chocolate isn't just called a chocolate milkshake.

Dragonswan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

I don't get Game of Thrones.  I know this is going to be unpopular, but I just can't get into dragon fantasy type of fiction.  It's too much for me.  I don't like fiction that much as it is, unless it's a boom boom action movie that incidentally involves super heroes.

I just... I can't... (curls up in corner and weeps silently into her tail)

Shh bby is ok
Thanks dragoncar (sniffles as she pulls herself together)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
I've never had one, but I had the impression that it was closer to a chocolate smoothie (ice rather than ice cream)? Which does not sound very delicious.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
I've never had one, but I had the impression that it was closer to a chocolate smoothie (ice rather than ice cream)? Which does not sound very delicious.
The variant of "frozen hot chocolate" I learned how to make at my first job in high school (rhymes with Dairy Queen) was vanilla (may have been twist, definitely not straight chocolate) soft serve ice cream, cocoa fudge, and slushie mix (sweetened ICEE-style fine ice), blended in the same manner one would blend a milkshake, with whipped cream-like-topping on top.  So, quite a lot like a frosty from Wendy's, I suppose, but rather different than a chocolate milkshake (which was just ice cream, chocolate sauce, and milk).

Crash Hamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
The Beatles were just a boy band whose USP was having hair half an inch longer than was socially acceptable. There's little doubt that they could play and sing better than their modern contemporaries (and they wrote their own stuff) but the adulation, then and now, is completely disproportionate.

I really don't get Superheroes of any description. Obviously they're very popular, but it just seems to involve splicing the worst of science fiction with the less appealing rump of action movies. Not for me.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »
I really don't get Superheroes of any description. Obviously they're very popular, but it just seems to involve splicing the worst of science fiction with the less appealing rump of action movies. Not for me.

I always figured that superheros have taken the place of folk tales of the various pantheons of gods of old.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »

The fuck is a frozen hot chocolate?

The variant of "frozen hot chocolate" I learned how to make at my first job in high school (rhymes with Dairy Queen) was vanilla (may have been twist, definitely not straight chocolate) soft serve ice cream, cocoa fudge, and slushie mix (sweetened ICEE-style fine ice), blended in the same manner one would blend a milkshake, with whipped cream-like-topping on top.  So, quite a lot like a frosty from Wendy's, I suppose, but rather different than a chocolate milkshake (which was just ice cream, chocolate sauce, and milk).

Oh.

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
but the adulation, then and now, is completely disproportionate.

Hmmm....im pretty sure every music historian on the planet would disagree... LOL   Without the Beatles music and culture would most likely be nothing as we know it today.   Same goes for those artists who influence them....Chuck Berry, Little Richard, ect.   

I mean, I don't own a Beatles recording and rarely listen to them.... but to say their adulation is disproportionate? 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:18:07 PM by surfhb »

JustDave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
The Big Bang Theory show. I've tried, and just can't.

Dunkin Donuts. It's overpriced gas station-quality coffee. There, I said it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Oh, it's definitely garbage. But people love garbage television. Most of it is garbage, truly. For every Arrested Development, Community, Breaking Bad, or The Wire, there's a thousand 2 Broke Girls, The Real Housewives of Fox News, Keeping up with Teen Mom, Dancing with the Bachelor, and yes, The Big Bang Theory. And some people watch it all.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
^I thought Breaking Bad was mostly garbage (it was OK into season 2 but the writing became more shallow and increasingly relied on overused tropes), so I'm surprised how frequently it's lumped together with much better shows like AD or The Wire. Also, Six Feet Under seems underappreciated, though maybe it's just a consequence of being an older series. TV generally follows a stronger form of Sturgeon's law, where 99% of everything is crap.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:37 AM »
I walk back and forth to work daily. Every day someone will honk to say hi from behind tinted windows, or behind the direct glare of sun on their windshield. I have no idea who is honking. I wave anyway.... I don't get it.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »

I've probably watched 5, maybe 6 episodes of this show. It was funny-ish...but then the girl with the unreasonably high-pitched voice happened. Just no. Nobody effing talks like that.

Crash Hamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
but the adulation, then and now, is completely disproportionate.

Hmmm....im pretty sure every music historian on the planet would disagree... LOL   Without the Beatles music and culture would most likely be nothing as we know it today.   Same goes for those artists who influence them....Chuck Berry, Little Richard, ect.   

I mean, I don't own a Beatles recording and rarely listen to them.... but to say their adulation is disproportionate?

It's boy band pop music and I don't get it, which is the subject of the thread, I think. Look at the film from the time, the hysterical screaming girls, the fainting, and tell me they weren't a boy band :) You can disagree, it's ok, but the whole 'infuential musician' thing was applied retrospectively.

yakamashii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
The playing of the national anthem at sporting events that involve two teams from the same country playing each other.

And god bless america on Sunday games in MLB.

I mean, I get the rhetoric, but the insistence on these shows of patriotism make me more suspicious of it. I don't understand why anyone thinks it's real or honorable or whatever.
"There isn't time -- so brief is life -- for bickerings, apologies, heartburnings, callings to account. There is only time for loving -- and but an instant, so to speak, for that."

Mark Twain

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
The playing of the national anthem at sporting events that involve two teams from the same country playing each other.

I mean, I get the rhetoric, but the insistence on these shows of patriotism make me more suspicious of it. I don't understand why anyone thinks it's real or honorable or whatever.

I am not fond of it (usually ether run to the bathroom or the kitchen during it).  Here's an interesting take on why it's prevalent in sports:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

I am not fond of it (usually ether run to the bathroom or the kitchen during it).  Here's an interesting take on why it's prevalent in sports:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

Yeah...it's weird.  It's like the Pledge of Allegiance being recited in grade schools (this might not be a thing anymore, but it was when I was a kid).  It makes me really uncomfortable...feels like group-think, and vaguely fascist.  Ick.  I refused to recite the Pledge when I was a kid, and I still dislike doing it. And when I do I always drop the "under god" part, which is super creepy.

Papa bear

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »

Yeah...it's weird.  It's like the Pledge of Allegiance being recited in grade schools (this might not be a thing anymore, but it was when I was a kid).  It makes me really uncomfortable...feels like group-think, and vaguely fascist.  Ick.  I refused to recite the Pledge when I was a kid, and I still dislike doing it. And when I do I always drop the "under god" part, which is super creepy.

Under god was added in the 50's. Because red scare McCarthyism godless commie stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
"Under god" replaced "indivisible."

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
We always said both (late 60's).

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
We always said both (late 60's).

Huh. Maybe you're right, now that I think about it. Not sure anymore.

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
It is still both.  I still don't say it :).

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
It is still both.  I still don't say it :).

I don't either. I remember being very surprised at getting my first US banknotes and seeing "In God we trust" on them. That, and the "under god" added to the pledge are things that do not compute.

TheStachery

« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
I don't get how this thread went to not honoring our soldiers, not being patriotic, and issues with a christian country having the word God on money and the pledge.

What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit?
What is wrong with just taking a moment, to honor the flag and what it represents at a sporting event?  Use the time to be grateful that you live in such a nice place.

You know, you can always go live in Venezuela where socialism is thriving.  If you go, please take that sack of lying garbage lena dunham with you.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
I don't get how this thread went to not honoring our soldiers, not being patriotic, and issues with a christian country having the word God on money and the pledge.

What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit?
What is wrong with just taking a moment, to honor the flag and what it represents at a sporting event?  Use the time to be grateful that you live in such a nice place.

You know, you can always go live in Venezuela where socialism is thriving.  If you go, please take that sack of lying garbage lena dunham with you.
I suppose I don't get how not wanting to chant certain words or stare at a flag should be considered unpatriotic.  I love my country, but I don't need to prove that to anyone by any sort of ritual.

And it's not a Christian country, it's a country that happens to be composed primarily of Christians.  Big difference.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »

Part of the reason that our country is such a nice place is that we are not forced to say anything we don't want to. And we are not forced to worship the god of the majority.

Telling us that we should do those things or go somewhere else is pretty much the exact opposite of patriotism and appreciating what's good about the US.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »
i always said underdog instead of under god. i could get behind underdog in elementary school.

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

I am very grateful that I live in a place where I do not have to stand for the Pledge and I am free to worship any way I wish (or not, as that's my choice and I quite like being a godless heathen).  This is NOT a Christian nation nor has it ever been, it is a melting pot of many religions and I'd kinda like to keep it that way.  Now, if you have an issue living somewhere with so much diversity and freedom then I would suggest you pick up a one-way ticket out.  But cheap of course, because mustashianism.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
I think the national anthem and pledge of allegiance are generally good, they are some of the few things all Americans can share, and try to unite us.  I don't care if you don't say "under god."

Prayer in school arguably also tried to do these things too, and I definitely understand why that wasn't acceptable.

Maybe there's a better way, or something bigger to pledge to, like our Earth, but I think these traditions are fine.

That being said, I don't go to many sporting events, so I don't hear it nearly as often as others.  If I played in the majors and heard it 190 times a year, I might have other opinions.

TheStachery

« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »

Part of the reason that our country is such a nice place is that we are not forced to say anything we don't want to. And we are not forced to worship the god of the majority.

Telling us that we should do those things or go somewhere else is pretty much the exact opposite of patriotism and appreciating what's good about the US.

Don't try to misconstrue what i said and turn it around to make it seem like I'm intolerant. Please.

again, I said "What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit"

go burn a flag, don't stand for the anthem, that is your right.  I won't respect you for it, but it's your right.  You're lucky to live in a country that you get to express what you feel.  By stating you can go somewhere else, I am merely pointing out that we have it so good here.

I don't get why people are so annoyed at such a small gesture of gratitude.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »

I suppose I don't get how not wanting to chant certain words or stare at a flag should be considered unpatriotic.  I love my country, but I don't need to prove that to anyone by any sort of ritual.

And it's not a Christian country, it's a country that happens to be composed primarily of Christians.  Big difference.

+1000000000

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »

Don't try to misconstrue what i said and turn it around to make it seem like I'm intolerant. Please.

again, I said "What the heck is wrong with just for a moment thanking our soldiers for doing a job that keeps us safe and gives you the freedom to say such stupid shit"

go burn a flag, don't stand for the anthem, that is your right.  I won't respect you for it, but it's your right.  You're lucky to live in a country that you get to express what you feel.  By stating you can go somewhere else, I am merely pointing out that we have it so good here.

1) Suggest I should do certain things, or that I should leave the country.
2) Tell me it's a Christian country, which it demonstrably is not.
3) When I point out that these two attitudes are the opposite of what makes our country great, pretend that I'm misconstruing your words. 
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

3) When I point out that these two attitudes are the opposite of what makes our country great, pretend that I'm misconstruing your words.

Also, why would I want to burn a flag? That's weird.

Also, who the hell is Lena Dunham and why should I care? Ok, I Googled it...she's some actress about whose opinion I don't know why I or anybody should care]

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »

Also, why would I want to burn a flag? That's weird.

Also, who the hell is Lena Dunham and why should I care? Ok, I Googled it...she's some actress about whose opinion I don't know why I or anybody should care]

Good point. I should have also said:

4) Straw man the hell out of things by tossing in a bunch of stuff I never said I wanted to do (e.g. burning the flag, not standing for the anthem) for what purpose, exactly? (I think that's kinda obvious...)
5) Choose some conservative voodoo doll of hate to stick pins in (Lena Dunham) to further muddy the waters and imply... what, I don't know exactly... I suppose guilt by implicitly associating me with her?

Seriously. How intellectually dishonest can one get?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:26:41 PM by Kris »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »

You know, you can always delete your account if you don't like what you read hereZ

Don't misconstrue what I said and think I'm telling you to GTFO.  I'm just saying you are really lucky to have access to this wonderful forum and ou should appreciate it by not telling people to leave the country.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
I think we might be better off expressing our gratitude to soldiers by doing things like providing veterans with better medical care and counseling, rather than strong-arming grade schoolers into reciting a loyalty pledge.

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
I think we might be better off expressing our gratitude to soldiers by doing things like providing veterans with better medical care and counseling, rather than strong-arming grade schoolers into reciting a loyalty pledge.

This 1000%!  We send them around the world to some of the most dangerous places to protect us, yet when they get home we say 'Thanks for going, sorry you got injured or need to talk to someone but we just can't pay for that'.  That's the thing that really just pisses me off.

And no, we shouldn't force kids (or anyone really) into saying the pledge.  There are many other ways to be patriotic besides mumbling some words while looking at a flag.

Acastus

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
I don't get The Beatles. Other than 3-4 songs, I don't think their music is any good.

I don't get fancy food trucks. One of the most annoying things in the past 5 years is seeing all these fancy food trucks driving around charging insane prices.

I don't get the need for navigation units on cars. Such a waste of money on technology readily available on your smartphone.

**Corrected spelling from Beetles to Beatles.

Kind of like saying I don't get the Apollo program. The Ariane rockets are 100 times better. The Beatles were groundbreaking in their day.

TheStachery

« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »

You know, you can always delete your account if you don't like what you read hereZ

Don't misconstrue what I said and think I'm telling you to GTFO.  I'm just saying you are really lucky to have access to this wonderful forum and ou should appreciate it by not telling people to leave the country.

You're right and I will. 

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

Nobody said there was anything wrong with it. Yakamashi asked why it is done several hundred times a year at sporting events.

It's not gratitude when you're bullied or otherwise compelled to do it.  Gratitude and patriotism are things someone feels.  When the external celebration of said feeling becomes mandatory (which we in America love to play with) it's no longer a feeling and instead becomes dogmatic and the exact opposite of the freedom that patriotic fervor professes to be protecting.  There is no punch card or metric you have to wave around to show that you're patriotic enough.  Who keeps score?  It's a very insecure person who requires themselves to be thanked at every turn.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:04:44 PM by Travis »
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »

This 1000%!  We send them around the world to some of the most dangerous places to protect us, yet when they get home we say 'Thanks for going, sorry you got injured or need to talk to someone but we just can't pay for that'.  That's the thing that really just pisses me off.

And no, we shouldn't force kids (or anyone really) into saying the pledge.  There are many other ways to be patriotic besides mumbling some words while looking at a flag.
How do you suggest teaching kids to be patriotic? 

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »

It's weird that some people think that kids need to be taught to be patriotic.  I like my country because it's a decent place (although I'm certainly aware of it's flaws).  Because it's a decent place, people who live here tend to like it.  Attempting to force someone (especially little kids) to like a place kinda makes you seem like you don't really believe that it's a nice place.

But I'm a Canadian, and there's a lot of stuff that you guys down south do that doesn't make sense to me.  :P

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »

Why not start with where the pledge itself came from?  How about teaching them about our rights and freedoms.  Tell them about our presidents, especially our Founding Fathers and how dangerous it was at the time to not only write, but sign the Declaration.  Teach them to be good citizens and to help others.  There's plenty of ways to teach kids besides reciting the same words every day.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »

It's weird that some people think that kids need to be taught to be patriotic.  I like my country because it's a decent place (although I'm certainly aware of it's flaws).  Because it's a decent place, people who live here tend to like it.  Attempting to force someone (especially little kids) to like a place kinda makes you seem like you don't really believe that it's a nice place.

But I'm a Canadian, and there's a lot of stuff that you guys down south do that doesn't make sense to me.  :P

Shouldn't there have been an apology in there somewhere?