Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 24550 times)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
Great points, ketchup.  That doesn't make sense at all.  As a 15 yo when I saw it, I likely didn't care about what made sense at all.

The one thing that always bothered me, even though I still say I enjoyed the movie, was that C3PO was built by Anakin, yet Darth Vader didn't recognize him later.
I say just one thing. Midichlorian. Used in ep1, forgot by everyone on all the other episodes, even when they could have used it to determine the hidden sith in the republic. Worst plot device ever actually in any movie/trilogy ever.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

OMG, I've never considered that!  Ugh!  Where was the midichlorian dousing rod!?
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »
At least it gave us the great Robot Chicken bit about George W Bush thinking he had midichlorians.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
Great points, ketchup.  That doesn't make sense at all.  As a 15 yo when I saw it, I likely didn't care about what made sense at all.

The one thing that always bothered me, even though I still say I enjoyed the movie, was that C3PO was built by Anakin, yet Darth Vader didn't recognize him later.
I say just one thing. Midichlorian. Used in ep1, forgot by everyone on all the other episodes, even when they could have used it to determine the hidden sith in the republic. Worst plot device ever actually in any movie/trilogy ever.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

Lucas can't write dialogue to save his life. Even Fisher gave him a hard time for it back in the 70s.  Lucas had a team of guys there to steer him or give him a sanity check during the first set of movies. With the prequels he had absolutely nobody to tell him "no." They over-CGI'd the thing so that most of the actors spent their time standing around a small green screen sound stage instead of interacting with an environment.  The pod race was neat to watch as a teenager, but as an adult all I can say now is "what a waste of 20 minutes that didn't advance the story."  They chose the wrong actor to play child-Anakin. I couldn't buy that this was a slave who would one day help kill millions.  Lucas decided to write him as a well-fed, mouthy, and fairly well-adjusted kid with a roof over his head, but insist that he was a slave? He grew up to be a whiny teenager, and while you could say that was the point, he was whiny to the point of just being a bore to listen to.  Episode II quickly turned him into a love-sick slightly creepy puppy who then commits genocide. When confronted with that atrocity, Padme says "meh" and marries him. And we're force-fed (pun intended) in EpIII that this is a healthy relationship?  The Jedi are proclaimed to be this all-knowing, all-seeing super knight/samurai order, but when you see their actions, their downfall was totally earned.  I didn't even need Plinkett to explain that one to me.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
At least it gave us the great Robot Chicken bit about George W Bush thinking he had midichlorians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F1d3QWsyk0

stoaX

• Bristles
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
I don't get why voters in California aren't all vote-by-mail voters.  I have voted in every election since moving to California in 2006 and have voted by mail every time - it's way more convenient. 

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:30 PM »
loud pipes on cars and motorcycles. yes, i can appreciate the rumble of a powerful engine but no, i don't need to hear it half a mile away. i liken it to a dinosaur mating call.
According to my husband, who has had two motorcycles, it's a safety thing. Drivers of cars simply do not see motorcycles, so you make yourself loud and hope they can at least hear you. Makes sense to me.

That said, I don't get motorcycles. Especially after multiple brushes with death.

Also, people who use the bathroom stall next to the one I'm in, even though there are plenty of other bathroom stalls that aren't next to an occupied one.

Finally, people who listen to/watch media on their devices without headphones. Dude, just no.

i get loudish pipes for bikes but i don't need to hear it from blocks away.

there was an office i worked at that had a diagram in the bathroom as to which stalls to use if one or more stalls was occupied. always leave a space if you can.
I don't think loud bikes actually improve safety, but if they did: They'd need to be loud enough for a car traveling with decent noise protection to hear it before the bike passes.  You can usually hear a bike when it's ahead of you, but not when it's behind you.  Also, when it's idling when it's about to take a left turn and the car is nearing an intersection.  For either of these to be true, the bike has to be hella loud.

Or, you can be like me, and just wear neon yellow.   I've had people who said they saw me going the other direction on a busy multi-lane street.  If you can see that, most other drivers will too, and don't have to rely on hearing you.  And this way, you can hear other vehicles, because you're not drowning everything else out.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
I don't get why voters in California aren't all vote-by-mail voters.  I have voted in every election since moving to California in 2006 and have voted by mail every time - it's way more convenient.

They only have vote-by-mail in Oregon.  It's much nicer.  And apparently it leads to much higher voter turnout.   

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
I vote by mail too.  I had some issues with trusting it would be counted and not 'lost in the mail', but Colorado set up a very tight tracking and notification system, you see the progress of your ballot all the way through the system.  Ever since then, vote by mail only for us.
Frugalite in training.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
You know what I don't get? Andy Rooney.

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »

Now that's funny!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
After all the discussion about turning cars off when getting gas, I checked.  All my gas stations have "turn the engine off" as step 1 on the posted instructions.

Worrying about wearing out the starter - isn't that more of a concern for drivers who do a lot of errands?  Get to place A, turn off car, do errand, start car.  Get to place B, turn off car, do errand, start car, etc.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
It's not really rational to vote. The chance that a single vote will make a difference is so small that the benefit of voting on an individual level is so near zero, that we can reasonably call is zero. Whereas, the cost of voting (in time) is fixed and can be particularly costly for those with limited time (maybe working 2+ jobs and taking care of kids) and limited transportation.

That said, I vote. But I totally get why people don't.

I'd get that argument if the presidential turnouts weren't so much higher, but that people turn out in droves to vote in the one election they have essentially zero change of affecting, while ignoring the local elections where there's an actual (if low) chance of influencing the outcome makes me think that the decision making process is not a particularly rational one.

That being said, the fact the people apparently only will turn out to vote for presidential elections makes the Electoral College even more frustrating. The states with the highest voter turnout in 2016? Minnesota, New Hampshire, Maine, Colorado, Wisconsin, all relatively contested states in the presidential election. The states with the lowest turnout? Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Hawaii. Every election season we bemoan low turnout and every election season we ignore the fact that in 3/4 of the states, even 10,000 or 20,000 people voting together would have zero chance of making a difference in the one election most people care about (however irrationally). I don't get it!

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
It's not really rational to vote. The chance that a single vote will make a difference is so small that the benefit of voting on an individual level is so near zero, that we can reasonably call is zero. Whereas, the cost of voting (in time) is fixed and can be particularly costly for those with limited time (maybe working 2+ jobs and taking care of kids) and limited transportation.

I'd get that argument if the presidential turnouts weren't so much higher, but that people turn out in droves to vote in the one election they have essentially zero change of affecting, while ignoring the local elections where there's an actual (if low) chance of influencing the outcome makes me think that the decision making process is not a particularly rational one.

That being said, the fact the people apparently only will turn out to vote for presidential elections makes the Electoral College even more frustrating. The states with the highest voter turnout in 2016? Minnesota, New Hampshire, Maine, Colorado, Wisconsin, all relatively contested states in the presidential election. The states with the lowest turnout? Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Hawaii. Every election season we bemoan low turnout and every election season we ignore the fact that in 3/4 of the states, even 10,000 or 20,000 people voting together would have zero chance of making a difference in the one election most people care about (however irrationally). I don't get it!

All alternative voting systems have the fatal flaw of not being 'Merican so they could never be adopted.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:44 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2017, 01:45:23 AM »
I don't get cigarettes, cigars or anything you smoke for that matter.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

I get why people keep smoking after starting . . . I mean, it's addictive as hell.  The weird thing to me is why (in this day and age) anyone would ever start.  :P

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2017, 04:41:36 AM »

I get why people keep smoking after starting . . . I mean, it's addictive as hell.  The weird thing to me is why (in this day and age) anyone would ever start.  :P

Word. I tried smoking a cigarette once when I was 12 and it felt awful. I'm glad my instinct to avoid pain overpowered any urge I had to try to fit in with my friends that were smokers.
Less is more.

Dictionary Time

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »

It overcomes the argument that you're more likely to be killed in a car accident on the way to the polls than affect the result!  (Unless you drive to your mailbox.)

teen persuasion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2017, 11:37:22 AM »
I don't get frozen waffles (or pancakes, etc).  They are just so easy to make, and so much better freshly made.

iluvzbeach

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
I don't get today's fashion trends around false eyelashes and weirdly painted on eyebrows. Why would anyone waste their time or money on either?
Planning to be FIREd in 2020!

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
I don't get the fascination with the Toyota Prius.

I do get the fascination with high MPG/MPGe, but I don't understand the design of the Prius. Is it supposed to be a hatchback...because...well, in my eyes, it isn't. Or is it supposed to be a sedan, because it's kind of not that, either. I guess I just wish it was a true hatchback with boatloads of storage space in the back like a typical hatchback. Then I would get it....not in an "I would buy it" sort of way, but in a "Yeah, I totally get why people love that car" kind of way.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
the design of the Prius. Is it supposed to be a hatchback...because...well, in my eyes, it isn't. Or is it supposed to be a sedan, because it's kind of not that, either.

It's a kammback, so the design is dictated by aerodynamics and not aesthetics or functionality.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
the design of the Prius. Is it supposed to be a hatchback...because...well, in my eyes, it isn't. Or is it supposed to be a sedan, because it's kind of not that, either.

It's a kammback, so the design is dictated by aerodynamics and not aesthetics or functionality.

Well, alright, then. I do indeed learn something new every day. So I guess I have to conclude that I'm a bigger fan of a car's function (and aesthetics*) than its aerodynamics.

*This is coming from someone who bought not one, but two PT Cruisers, which I understand 99% of the world hated. So...grain of salt.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »

The only proper kammback is the AMC Eagle Kammback.

Teachstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
The Beatles tends to suffer quite a bit from the Seinfeld Is Unfunny trope.  What was new and groundbreaking back in the day now can ironically seem boring and cliché precisely because of how new and groundbreaking it was.

I've never heard of that effect before now, but it makes a lot of sense.

I don't get most of the 60s & 70s bands. I tend to view them as Boomers trying to prove that they're superior in yet (another) respect to other generations. The whole "music died after the Beatles" sentiment was really grating whenever I heard it from my parents.

Now, I love Queen (the original, with Mercury). For me, there's nothing better than early 90s grunge. Love it.

My spouse doesn't get my love for Michael Jackson as a solo artist. That man was a true entertainer.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
The Beatles tends to suffer quite a bit from the Seinfeld Is Unfunny trope.  What was new and groundbreaking back in the day now can ironically seem boring and cliché precisely because of how new and groundbreaking it was.

I've never heard of that effect before now, but it makes a lot of sense.

I don't get most of the 60s & 70s bands. I tend to view them as Boomers trying to prove that they're superior in yet (another) respect to other generations. The whole "music died after the Beatles" sentiment was really grating whenever I heard it from my parents.

Now, I love Queen (the original, with Mercury). For me, there's nothing better than early 90s grunge. Love it.

My spouse doesn't get my love for Michael Jackson as a solo artist. That man was a true entertainer.
I enjoy a variety of groups from the 60s/70s but I think music is slightly better today. However, one group that makes me (there is no word for it that I know of: nostalgic for a time I never experienced?) is Can, e.g. this.

slackmax

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2017, 07:09:46 AM »
I don't get why some people don't seem to care about high prices for things like a glass of wine at a restaurant, or a shirt at a department store.  They think nothing of paying $9 for a glass of jug wine, or $54 for a pair of slacks or a shirt. I guess they're just rich!   I get my pants at Walmart for what, $12, and they look just the same as the $54 version at the department store.  I don't know, maybe the department store version lasts longer? Maybe not.  I definitely don't get people paying, what, $90 to see a baseball team or football team play. Seems insane to me. Oh well. 

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »
I don't get why some people don't seem to care about high prices for things like a glass of wine at a restaurant, or a shirt at a department store.  They think nothing of paying $9 for a glass of jug wine, or $54 for a pair of slacks or a shirt. I guess they're just rich!   I get my pants at Walmart for what, $12, and they look just the same as the $54 version at the department store.  I don't know, maybe the department store version lasts longer? Maybe not.  I definitely don't get people paying, what, $90 to see a baseball team or football team play. Seems insane to me. Oh well.

i think spending money is an addiction. i fall victim to it on occasion.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »

I've never bought clothes at Wal-Mart, but I did buy some items at Target and they fell apart almost instantly. Never again.

I'll generally buy shirts and clothes when they are on sale at the department stores, and they will last for a while. My current pair of jeans cost me $15 on black Friday (normal MSRP is like $45) and my shirt cost me $16 (I think).

For Khakis, Croft and Barrow from Kohl's is fine, and I think they hit that $15 mark once or twice a year.

I get people who shop at Nordstrom's, they just value looking good more than they value not working for someone else. Def not my choice....

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
I don't get why some people don't seem to care about high prices for things like a glass of wine at a restaurant...  They think nothing of paying $9 for a glass of jug wine... I guess they're just rich!

Because I go out to eat less than once a month and if I'm going somewhere, the food is at least as good as what we can prepare at home. Sometimes I just want to pair a nice wine with that food because it improves everything, from the taste of the food and wine, to the mood, to the slight lowering of inhibitions that makes conversation just that much more relaxed. Sure, I might have to pay $15 for one glass when I could buy two bottles of our favorite table wine for the same, but it is a part of the meal.

I'd no sooner make a pizza without cheese, a BLT without bacon, or a salad without dressing than I would not order a glass of wine if the meal were deserving of one. If the cost to enjoy a full meal is too high, go out less frequently or go somewhere cheaper. Otherwise, why bother with a fraction of a fancypants meal at all? The point of a budget is to ensure you're spending your limited resources on what you want, not to prevent you from ever paying a markup on something like a glass of wine.

Rimu05

• Stubble
« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
I don't get The Beatles. Other than 3-4 songs, I don't think their music is any good.

I don't get fancy food trucks. One of the most annoying things in the past 5 years is seeing all these fancy food trucks driving around charging insane prices.

I don't get the need for navigation units on cars. Such a waste of money on technology readily available on your smartphone.

**Corrected spelling from Beetles to Beatles.

I swear, I have been saying this about the Beatles since I was thirteen. I just don't get it. Let's face it, a lot of their music was standard, generic stuff. Do they have some great songs, yes. Their music definitely got better, but the music they made in their hey days was just mediocre. I feel time has factored into why they are so worshipped, yet I also wonder if fifty years from now people will worship Justin Beiber with the same vigor.

I even get Michael Jackson, but the Beatles I remain very meh about.

I've even googled why they are so loved and the reasons are always ridiculous. This is from someone who listens to everything. From Maria Callas to Tupac...

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
I don't get The Beatles. Other than 3-4 songs, I don't think their music is any good.

I don't get fancy food trucks. One of the most annoying things in the past 5 years is seeing all these fancy food trucks driving around charging insane prices.

I don't get the need for navigation units on cars. Such a waste of money on technology readily available on your smartphone.

I swear, I have been saying this about the Beatles since I was thirteen. I just don't get it. Let's face it, a lot of their music was standard, generic stuff. Do they have some great songs, yes. Their music definitely got better, but the music they made in their hey days was just mediocre. I feel time has factored into why they are so worshipped, yet I also wonder if fifty years from now people will worship Justin Beiber with the same vigor.

I've even googled why they are so loved and the reasons are always ridiculous. This is from someone who listens to everything. From Maria Callas to Tupac...

I don't care all that much for the Beatles music, but there's no denying that they were very influential. I can get it even if I don't really like it. A little like how there aren't that many people that listen to the Pixies or the Velvet Underground, but their influence on bands that came after them was huge.

Cache Stash

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
I don't get people.

Seriously.  At all.

Brother (or sister) from another mother.

Rimu05

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »

I don't care all that much for the Beatles music, but there's no denying that they were very influential. I can get it even if I don't really like it. A little like how there aren't that many people that listen to the Pixies or the Velvet Underground, but their influence on bands that came after them was huge.

We get they are influential but the part here is I cannot for the life of me understand why. There are plenty of artists that are influential. On that note, I've noticed in music, influential often means popularized something that already existed.

I also find when it comes to Rock n' Roll, the popular figures are the likes of Elvis, nirvana, etc. Rarely do I ever see the acknowledgment of the people who truly changed the genre. I guarantee more people know the beatles than say, Chuck Berry. On that note, I don't know much about Rock as it's not my genre. I just read about it here and there and of course the popular songs most people know.

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »

We get they are influential but the part here is I cannot for the life of me understand why. There are plenty of artists that are influential. On that note, I've noticed in music, influential often means popularized something that already existed.

I also find when it comes to Rock n' Roll, the popular figures are the likes of Elvis, nirvana, etc. Rarely do I ever see the acknowledgment of the people who truly changed the genre. I guarantee more people know the beatles than say, Chuck Berry. On that note, I don't know much about Rock as it's not my genre. I just read about it here and there and of course the popular songs most people know.

Music doesn't exist in a vacuum, so everybody is influenced by something that came before them or was coexistant. Sometimes that's having a sound that a small number of widely popular bands hear, sometimes it's being a widely popular band and reaching a wide audience. One of the things I love about Nirvana in particular is that their MTV Unplugged album was almost half covers of bands that influenced them. But influence also comes from being in the right place at the right time. With star groups like the Beatles, this was probably a large part of it. There was a market ready or nearly ready for somebody to step into the role of stars, and they managed to grab it with the right management and luck.

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #235 on: August 01, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
Currently in Germany:

why don't more German businesses accept credit cards?!? Taking out cash all the time is annoying.

Other things I don't get:

watching televised sports. I used to not get watching kids play sports either, but I understand that now more as a "I will support my kids and hang it with other parents I like."

The amount of time and energy that goes into a local kid swim meet is absolutely insane, definitely don't get that.

Ignoring climate change.

The Olive Garden, Applebees and Marie Callender's. Oh yes, and Polly's Pies in LA.

Wearing polyester.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »

Now that's funny!

Thanks! Actually I do miss the old codger.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »
Currently in Germany:

why don't more German businesses accept credit cards?!? Taking out cash all the time is annoying.

Other things I don't get:

watching televised sports. I used to not get watching kids play sports either, but I understand that now more as a "I will support my kids and hang it with other parents I like."

The amount of time and energy that goes into a local kid swim meet is absolutely insane, definitely don't get that.

Ignoring climate change.

The Olive Garden, Applebees and Marie Callender's. Oh yes, and Polly's Pies in LA.

Wearing polyester.

I have the same reaction when I go to Europe. I hate having to carry around extra paper and coins since they use them so damn much.  Generally speaking I don't watch or follow sports; however, when I do, I ask myself why people prefer spending a small fortune to see it in person rather than watch it from every conceivable angle for free at home.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
A little like how there aren't that many people that listen to the Pixies or the Velvet Underground, but their influence on bands that came after them was huge.

Two of the best bands of all time!  I think you would be surprised at the number of fans out there . . .

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
A little like how there aren't that many people that listen to the Pixies or the Velvet Underground, but their influence on bands that came after them was huge.

Two of the best bands of all time!  I think you would be surprised at the number of fans out there . . .

Agreed.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
Groups like the Beatles have to be taken in the historical context.  There was a huge change in popular music, pre and post British Invasion.  And not everyone loved the Beatles back then, there were people who dissed them and loved the Stones.  If you want a good overview of what happened in rock and roll, listen to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap on CBC.  He goes all over the map, and is both educational and wonderful to listen to.

Chuck Berry is iconic, see Back to the Future.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Dragonswan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »
Landlines - Because I have a phone in every room and can easily hear and answer when it rings.  This means I don't have to have my cell phone with me everywhere I go in the house.

Watership Down - It's an allegory or metaphor for human struggles.

Paying big bucks for an event - A few years ago I paid $280 for two box seats at the San Fran Orchestra to see Itzhak Perlman not only perform with the SFO but also conduct them in a difficult symphony with very complex violin music.  It was one of the most transcending non vocal musical performances I have had the honor and pleasure to hear.

Dragonswan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
Oh this is a good thread....
I also don't like the Beatles at all, while I understand their significance.

Dr. Who.  I don't even know what it is.. a miniseries?  A tv show?  Was it a book?  What is all the fuss?  Also, I don't have a TV, so I admit to being out of heckin touch.

I don't get The Big Lebowski.  I've seen it a few times and felt basically the same amount of humor as watching Hot Tub Time Machine or something of the like... and I didn't see it's niche as a 'Cult" movie either.

I don't get Game of Thrones.  I know this is going to be unpopular, but I just can't get into dragon fantasy type of fiction.  It's too much for me.  I don't like fiction that much as it is, unless it's a boom boom action movie that incidentally involves super heroes.

I don't get Brunch.  I mean, I like to eat at all different times of the day, but I don't need to label it.  I guess the idea is that you've slept through "typical" breakfast time and it's not quite "typical" lunch time... but geez, just eat some food and move on with your day.

...People who have pets (specifically dogs) but are awful humans.  I'm not talking about abuse, although of course I hate that... but I'm talking about people who let their dogs run loose on leash-law nature trails and then get upset at you for trying to push their dog away while it's jumping all over yours, people who yell right into their dogs face (there was a woman doing this at a park the other day and I asked her what was wrong with her and we almost had a scuffle, yeeeee) as "punishment", or people who do no training with their pet and then expect them to behave perfectly.  Get a turtle if you don't actually want to do the work (but also, turtles need attention too).

.... I am sure there are things I am forgetting here for sure, but I am too tired this morning to be properly annoyed per usual. ;)

I just... I can't... (curls up in corner and weeps silently into her tail)

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »

Agreed on the best part, but I don't know that you could compare their following to today's big pop bands. The Pixies at least picked up in popularity after their break-up, but I think a lot of their influential work was done before they were all that popular.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

Agreed on the best part, but I don't know that you could compare their following to today's big pop bands. The Pixies at least picked up in popularity after their break-up, but I think a lot of their influential work was done before they were all that popular.

I love their first four albums so, so much (and the first EP).

Unfortunately, I haven't liked anything since then very much. I liked Frank Black's first solo album, too. But since about 1993, nothing grabs me. Which makes me sad.

But even so, I'm happy as hell to have that body of work to listen to. It never gets old to me.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »

I don't get Game of Thrones.  I know this is going to be unpopular, but I just can't get into dragon fantasy type of fiction.  It's too much for me.  I don't like fiction that much as it is, unless it's a boom boom action movie that incidentally involves super heroes.

Shh bby is ok

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »
I don't get the debt ceiling thing.  They could just make it a gazillion dollars and never have to worry about it again.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »

Shh bby is ok

LOL.  I actually understand not being into dragon-fantasy fiction. However, I guess I don't really classify GoT as that type of fiction. Sure, there are a few dragons in it, but they are not important to the plot most of the time; and there are some reanimated frozen zombie things, which just function as a creepy army that complicates things and needs to be fought.  There are a few fantasy elements, but they aren't really heavily used

But I wonder if people who don't watch or read GoT realize that mostly it's a show about byzantine international familial politics, based loosely on the War of the Roses, with imaginary countries subbing in for our real-world European and Mediterranean ones.

I mean, it is nothing like as heavy-fantasy as Lord of the Rings.

A better comparison would be something like the shows Rome, The Tudors, or The Borgias, or reading Shakespeare's Histories.  With a few fantastical elements thrown in for seasoning.  Obviously, lots of people aren't interested in historical type shows either.  But if you ARE, and you are dismissing GoT, you definitely should try it.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

obligatory:  https://xkcd.com/483/  I really wanted to finish Anathem but just could not.  It is a fucking TV, call it a TV.  We dont need two pages talking about how we are not going to call it a TV or four other made up names for a TV.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
@wenchsenior: that reminds me.  Shakespeare-wtf?  I like reading but I cant stand reading and having to keep flipping back to a glossary to look up 'made up' words.  With 'made up' I am referring to other authors as well who dont use modern standard US English.

obligatory:  https://xkcd.com/483/  I really wanted to finish Anathem but just could not.  It is a fucking TV, call it a TV.  We dont need two pages talking about how we are not going to call it a TV or four other made up names for a TV.

Yeah, Shakespeare coined some terms in addition to the standard usage terms that are now out of use. Personally, I don't have that much trouble with Shakespeare unless I take a LONG layoff from reading or watching.  I miss terms occasionally, but usually context is pretty clear.  Some of the jokes are hard to get without context/glossary, for sure.

Ah, I probably should have been a historian or lit major LOL.

Anathem...I vaguely remember that, but that whole book was pretty bloated and annoying, so I can't differentiate what irritated me.