Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 24546 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Probably from the days of points ignition with windowed caps and vented tanks.

Or people who hose down their expose running engines with gasoline.  Sometimes safety rules are to protect against stupid people more than they are to protect against technological vulnerabilities.

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
RE: Cars idling while refueling: Maybe it's just a good idea to shut off a machine that could possibly get into drive while refueling? Beyond that, I'm skeptical that keeping the engine running- a properly maintained vehicle with adequate coolant etc- will makean appreciable difference in the life of the car engine to really matter. Yeah, maybe my 21 year old Honda Civic engine would last a little longer but it also needs a new windshield, brake work, tired and the body is rusting away. Actually, come to think of it, the engine is the only thing on it that's still working great.

RE: Single vote doesn't count: That's why Republican's win elections (beyond our current gerrymandered status) Problem is when too many single voters don't vote because "my vote doesn't count."

Another thing I don't get: tattoos. And Tattoo shops. We have at least 5 within a 2 mile radius of my house (and one laser removal place) How many tattoos are people getting? Do they actually make money?

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
Or people who hose down their expose running engines with gasoline.  Sometimes safety rules are to protect against stupid people more than they are to protect against technological vulnerabilities.

Now THAT's a valid argument ; )

Know what I don't get? People that walk into a grocery store and literally pay full price for everything in their cart. I want to say, "you know, that was on sale last week, and it's going on sale again tomorrow". Whatever.

JetBlast

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
I don't get why seemingly everyone in the northeast loves Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's really awful.

Free Spirit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
I don't get the appeal of cruises.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

Having just gone on one, followed by more conventional trave afterwards, it was really nice not to have to pack and unpack all my bags every day and just wake up somewhere new after relaxing in the evening.  Travel days were pretty stressful after the cruise.  I personally wouldn't love an itinerary with a lot of sea days, and it's not going to beat slow travel,  but if you want to see a lot of stuff in a relatively short amount of time I think it has some advantages.  If you are looking for sweet deals, it's much easier to find a great 2-week cruise deal than like 10 different hotel and transport deals in different cities.  We got burned on some infra-Europe flights that were canceled after our accommodations were finalized (but still early enough not to be compensated).  Plus, giant vehicles are wicked cool and they let me steer the ship at the fake helm.

Done right, it can be a good value including food, transport, and accommodation.  They try to make up for these deals by upselling you and ripping you off on excursions, but if you are mustachian immune to that they are probably breaking even.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:03:06 AM by dragoncar »

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »
Adding to what dragoncar said:  my parents are reaching the point where mobility is getting to be an issue. I've worked and lived in a lot of places with cruise ship ports-of-call, and generally dislike how they change and disrupt particularly small coastal towns, BUT I've started to see some positives in them due to my parents, who otherwise might not get to see as many places.

My advice is to seek out the much smaller boats, but from a economic standpoint they are often much more expensive to run and have correspondingly higher fares.
I've got no idea why people need/want shopping malls ON their cruise boats, when you basically have opportuntieis to shop at every port-of-call, plus unlimited access to amazon, etc.  Also, many of the attractions on the mega-ships seem to be there to elicit the reaction "I can't believe I am doing this on a boat" - crappy wave pools and the like which pale compared to the real thing.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
-why suburbs got rid of alleys and the grid system of street design (besides making it harder for people to drive through)

It's actually EXACTLY because it's harder to drive through. The whole conceit of suburbia is that it's country living, only fake. In the country, the only traffic on your street is from neighbors, no one drives on "your" street just to get to the next one. This is considered "safer" (kids can play in the street...only they don't because they're all in extracurriculars or inside on their devices; residents can blithely back their behemoth SUVs into the streets without consequence, etc.).

I don't get why anyone would prefer this, but that's the thinking behind it, as told by my give-me-suburbia-or-give-me-death parents.

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Why does New Jersey not let people pump their own gas?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:26:10 AM by jim555 »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Why does New Jersey no let people pump their own gas?

Oregon (or atleast Portland) is the same.  Job creation?
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  We’re the people who look at what we got, figure out what we don’t like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »
I typically let my car idle the whole 2-3 minutes I refuel not because I believe it uses more fuel to restart, but because I'd rather not have my engine and cooling system experience a huge thermal spike only to start it up again moments later. It's at that time you stop the coolant pump from circulating that engine temps climb, pressure increases and oil continues to thin out. If you've got a car with A/C you're doing a disservice to that system as well. Keep the oil circulating, keep the air moving and give your starter a break. Cranking over a heat-soaked engine is never fun (for the driver nor the starting system).

i'm sure the automotive engineers have never considered that over the last 100 years of internal combustion engines.
it's also potentially dangerous to leave your engine running while refueling. not that i've ever heard of anything bad happening.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
loud pipes on cars and motorcycles. yes, i can appreciate the rumble of a powerful engine but no, i don't need to hear it half a mile away. i liken it to a dinosaur mating call.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
loud pipes on cars and motorcycles. yes, i can appreciate the rumble of a powerful engine but no, i don't need to hear it half a mile away. i liken it to a dinosaur mating call.
Two summers ago, I had the pipe from my exhaust manifold to my catalytic converter break (yeah....) and before I got it fixed my car was loud as hell for a few days.  With the car in that state, I pulled up to a stop sign (had my windows down) and some punk teenager shouted at me unironically "That's awesome!" and gave me a an approving look.  I just shouted back "No, it's fucking terrible!"  He just looked at me stupidly and I drove off.

I don't get it.

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
I don't get why seemingly everyone in the northeast loves Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's really awful.
I am not sure it's really a NorthEast thing.  I'm in Chicago and it's awfully popular here too.  And count me in, I love it too.  I don't get Starbucks.  If you just get a cup of coffee there, I think it's awful.  You have to get something more fancy (or expensive) to get something you can choke down. 

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
yeah, I don't "get" this either.  I liken it to kids yelling "look at me, look at me!!"  The rumble of a Harley engine is supposed to be one of its main appeals, but I'd love to see all-electric motorcycles zipping along with almost no sound. Guessing battery-pack concerns makes this currently unfeasible.

I am not sure it's really a NorthEast thing.  I'm in Chicago and it's awfully popular here too.  And count me in, I love it too.  I don't get Starbucks.  If you just get a cup of coffee there, I think it's awful.  You have to get something more fancy (or expensive) to get something you can choke down. 
I've lived 1/3 of my life in New England and will admit to loving iced Dunkin coffee.  $2 is so much more sane than Starbuck's $4.50 (though we make our own and only indulge during road trips now).  Dunkin has a distinct taste - people seem to either love or hate it.  I can identify Dunkin' beans more easily than I can anything put out by other major coffee places.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »
we have both dunkin donuts and krispy kreme. the lines at krispy kreme are unreal. i don't like either one but being a sugar addict i get it. funny, the dialysis center is across the street from krispy kreme.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
-why suburbs got rid of alleys and the grid system of street design (besides making it harder for people to drive through)

It's actually EXACTLY because it's harder to drive through. The whole conceit of suburbia is that it's country living, only fake. In the country, the only traffic on your street is from neighbors, no one drives on "your" street just to get to the next one. This is considered "safer" (kids can play in the street...only they don't because they're all in extracurriculars or inside on their devices; residents can blithely back their behemoth SUVs into the streets without consequence, etc.).

I don't get why anyone would prefer this, but that's the thinking behind it, as told by my give-me-suburbia-or-give-me-death parents.

Real country living means there are farms and fields on your road, and the road will have all sorts of heavy duty traffic (farm machinery) and people will go fast, because long stretches with no stop signs.  Suburbs were to give bigger lots so kids could play and there would be yards, and roads were not for through traffic.  But older suburbs were still a lot less weird in their layout.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
i'm sure the automotive engineers have never considered that over the last 100 years of internal combustion engines.

Megaschnauzer, snark? Believe it or not I actually am one of those engineers that's involved in the design of these systems. We do our best to limit the effects of such thermal issues by prescribing some pretty robust cycle tests, but it comes down to a cost/value proposition in the end. As a mustachian I drive older vehicles and like to keep my systems in top shape, but what I speak of is real.

Remember the days before overflow tanks were standard on cars? You'd go for a hot run, do a shut down and dump half your coolant on the ground.  My '49 tractor still likes to remind me of that fact.

Edit: To make this post a little more useful, turbos are a lot more popular today than in years past and is another reason not to just shut down your engine. If you've got one, do yourself a favor and let your car idle 30 seconds or so before key off. It'll give the oil a chance to remove built up heat and your turbo will last a lot longer. Most OEMs recommend it but I'm finding a lot of people don't even know they drive one!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:24:29 PM by Cadman »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
Another thing I don't get: tattoos. And Tattoo shops. We have at least 5 within a 2 mile radius of my house (and one laser removal place) How many tattoos are people getting? Do they actually make money?

Saw a billboard on a road trip this summer for a business called "NO REGERTS TATTOO REMOVAL". Still makes me chuckle.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »

Add Tim Hortons to this list.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »

Them's fighting words if you're in Canada
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  We’re the people who look at what we got, figure out what we don’t like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

rdaneel0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
I don't get people who feel a strong allegiance to a specific sports team, especially if they don't (and never did) play the sport. For example, someone who never played competitive baseball but watches it constantly and refers to the result as if they were involved, like, "We won that game" or "we lost by a small amount". It's odd to me because the person didn't do anything, and if they simply lived in another state they'd probably root for a different team. I would get it a little more if all the players were from the city they represent, but they're not! Bizarre.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
Dunkin Donuts coffee is fine, but I don't get their donuts. They suck. I was raised on fluffy, heavenly, hot Krispy Kremes and I can't stand their lead-weighted Yankee densenuts.
Never. Give up.

My Woodworking Blog

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »

Saw a billboard on a road trip this summer for a business called "NO REGERTS TATTOO REMOVAL". Still makes me chuckle.

I was watching the David Cross standup and he does a bit about a tattoo parlour that is the home of the "Get what you get tattoo".  $40 and you get whatever the artist feels like at that moment.  I'd have to be blacked out to go along with something like that.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »

it's also potentially dangerous to leave your engine running while refueling. not that i've ever heard of anything bad happening.

Even if not dangerous (seems kinda doubtful) I do think it's rude for the guy behind you breathing your exhaust for 5 minutes.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
Dunkin Donuts coffee is fine, but I don't get their donuts. They suck. I was raised on fluffy, heavenly, hot Krispy Kremes and I can't stand their lead-weighted Yankee densenuts.

D&D donuts...definitely losing their shine. There's Do-Rite donuts around the Chicago-area train stations that are vastly better. Also like 3 times the price, but so delicious.

I definitely prefer D&D coffee to Starbucks coffee. Tastes less burnt and costs less. But I prefer the coffee I make at home above anything! Just finished up some hazelnut, and moving on to some sort of Hawaiian mix....

crazyworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
Stainless steel appliances. Seriously, WTF? I resisted this for years, then when we remodeled our kitchen last year, I was basically forced to assimilate. I effing hate these things. How have so many consumers been duped for so long by something so very shitty?

^^THIS^^

I don't get what the big deal is. Why am I paying extra for something that takes extra cleaning because it gets a smudge on it if you even dare to look in its direction?

And have you seen that you can now get BLACK stainless steel appliances? I have no words...

I have read similar criticism of SS appliances before and I don't get it?  Mine don't smudge that much.  At least, not for a while.  There must be different types of SS cladding.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:44:57 PM by crazyworld »

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
I don't get people who feel a strong allegiance to a specific sports team, especially if they don't (and never did) play the sport. For example, someone who never played competitive baseball but watches it constantly and refers to the result as if they were involved, like, "We won that game" or "we lost by a small amount". It's odd to me because the person didn't do anything, and if they simply lived in another state they'd probably root for a different team. I would get it a little more if all the players were from the city they represent, but they're not! Bizarre.

I see it as simulated Nation-State or City-State warfare. It's a self identity and aggression thing. Better to be pissed at the Patriots then to have an urge to go out to the pub and have a good ole bar fight.  I wonder if frequency of Nation to Nation warfare has decreased proportionally to the advent of the popularization of televised international sporting events?  Any data geeks out there?

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »

Megaschnauzer, snark? Believe it or not I actually am one of those engineers that's involved in the design of these systems. We do our best to limit the effects of such thermal issues by prescribing some pretty robust cycle tests, but it comes down to a cost/value proposition in the end. As a mustachian I drive older vehicles and like to keep my systems in top shape, but what I speak of is real.

Remember the days before overflow tanks were standard on cars? You'd go for a hot run, do a shut down and dump half your coolant on the ground.  My '49 tractor still likes to remind me of that fact.

Edit: To make this post a little more useful, turbos are a lot more popular today than in years past and is another reason not to just shut down your engine. If you've got one, do yourself a favor and let your car idle 30 seconds or so before key off. It'll give the oil a chance to remove built up heat and your turbo will last a lot longer. Most OEMs recommend it but I'm finding a lot of people don't even know they drive one!

sorry. i was channeling my father. i would get that snarkiness whenever i did something to my car to make it 'perform' better.

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Over modulated subwoofers in car stereos!   

I had to pull off the freeway once since I couldn't get away from this ass hat and his ....boom...boom...boom. 

JetBlast

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »

I actually like Timmies coffee. And their donuts are way better than Dunkin Donuts. I'm a sucker for the sour creme glazed.

DD is just too weak for my taste. The dark roast is passable. I like some sugar in my coffee and every time I've asked for it at DD it's had a chemical taste to me. No clue what that's about.

Driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2017, 05:18:52 AM »
4th of July fireworks... in neighborhoods.  This excludes city-funded fireworks shows.  It includes the 4th of July fireworks fired off the weekend before the 4th of July, and maybe the weekend (or weekdays after), which is apparently a thing for people who have trouble with calendars. 

If I set off explosives near your house on any other day of the year it could be considered harassment, or at least un-neighborly.  But because it's a holiday I can do it now and it's no big deal even if you have sleeping sick kids inside.

Oh no this just turned in to a rant.
*Nothing I post should be taken too seriously*

slackmax

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
i don't understand people leaving their cars idling while the run in the store of pump gas. is it really that hard to turn a key?

Every time you start your car it is one more cycle on the starter, meaning you are wearing out your starter just a bit, and are one start closer to a repair bill to replace the starter.  The ignition switch wears out eventually, too, believe it or not, and is not cheap to replace. And then there's the battery. Etc, etc. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:57:11 AM by slackmax »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
I don't get why so many people hate the Star Wars prequels.  I thought they were good.

The common complaints I hear are:
 - Jar Jar Binks was annoying.  OK, yeah, but did he singularly ruin the movie for you?
 - Teenage Anakin was whiny.  Isn't he supposed to be?  That's part of what led him to the Dark Side.  Also, is Luke not whiny in 4-6?

What did I miss that made those movies so "bad"?
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
I don't get why so many people hate the Star Wars prequels.  I thought they were good.

- Jar Jar Binks was annoying.  OK, yeah, but did he singularly ruin the movie for you?
 - Teenage Anakin was whiny.  Isn't he supposed to be?  That's part of what led him to the Dark Side.  Also, is Luke not whiny in 4-6?

Teenage Anakin and Jar Jar Binks didn't ruin the prequels, IMO. They were just poor story-telling in general. Take a look at the Red Letter Media critiques! They are really great (though collectively like 5 hours long).

Revenge of the Sith is pretty awesome once Order 66 begins, IMO.

TheStachery

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

Teenage Anakin and Jar Jar Binks didn't ruin the prequels, IMO. They were just poor story-telling in general. Take a look at the Red Letter Media critiques! They are really great (though collectively like 5 hours long).

If you watch those movies now, you can clearly see they really overused the CGI.  It's pretty bad at times.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:17:04 AM by TheStachery »

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »

If you watch those movies now, you can clearly see they really overused the CGI.  It's pretty bad at times.

I had not seen the prequels so one Saturday a couple of buddies and I rented them and got some adult beverages with the intention of a marathon.  About half way through the first one I look over at my friend with a "what the fuck" look and he replies "and they get worse".  They are just not good movies.

"Over modulated subwoofers in car stereos!"
Do people still do that?  I dont think it was ever a thing here. 
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »

I had not seen the prequels so one Saturday a couple of buddies and I rented them and got some adult beverages with the intention of a marathon.  About half way through the first one I look over at my friend with a "what the fuck" look and he replies "and they get worse".  They are just not good movies.
(emphasis mine)  This.  I loved them when I was in middle school, but rewatching them as an adult they are really bad.  The writing/direction is bad, uncreative, and downright cringe-worthy at times, the characters are not interesting, and the CGI was very overused (and has aged pretty badly too; somehow Jurassic Park was made in 1993 and still looks fantastic).

Teenage Anakin and Jar Jar Binks are easy to point fingers at, but the problems go far deeper than that.  Also, the actors get a bad rap for what were mostly writing/directing issues (though Ewan McGregor somehow transcended that pretty often).

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »
I thought Ewan McGregor was fantastic throughout.

Also, the scene at the end of Ep 3, hidden in case you don't want it spoiled.  "You were the Chosen One!  You were supposed to bring an end to the Sith, not join them!  You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!"  Left me teary-eyed.

Of course, I haven't rewatched Episode 1 since I was a teenager, so perhaps I'd not enjoy it as an adult.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
Of course, I haven't rewatched Episode 1 since I was a teenager, so perhaps I'd not enjoy it as an adult.
To me, Episode I is the one that falls apart the most, the more you think about it.  I'm fine with movies having little leaps in logic that don't make any sense (Like in The Dark Knight when Harvey Dent shoots the driver of the moving car he's in), that's just the nature of storytelling, but when there's too much it just ruins it.

Spoiler tags, despite it being a 1999 movie:

The most problematic part in Episode I in this respect is the whole Tatooine/podrace plot.  They need parts to fix their ship.  They find Watto's shop and he has the parts they need, but he won't take their kind of money.  Fine, so far.

Then, Qui-Gon thinks it's fine to try to Jedi Mind Trick Watto into taking the money.  When that doesn't work, Watto claims that nobody else there has the parts they need, and for some reason all the characters just accept that, instead of calling him out on the oldest sales trick in the book.  Are the parts they need so rare, yet the first random scummy shop they happen to walk into has exactly what they need? 

Even if you ignore that, they don't try to find a way to trick someone else with a "weaker mind" to change out the money for them to get the currency Watoo will take?  Or talk to their other Senate/Jedi buddies to send them some different currency?

Then, through a convoluted sequence of events, Qui-Gon tricks Watto into betting his slave (Anakin) on the outcome of the race, in addition to the parts they need.  Somehow that, along with trying to trick Watto into taking Republic credits before, is morally acceptable (and Qui-Gon is the master Jedi that is considered in high moral esteem), but doing other directly helpful things like just stealing the parts they need, or rigging the race in their favor (both of which they are basically already doing, but in an indirect, less-certain-to-work way) are not considered.  Instead they literally bet everything on the outcome of Anakin's race.  It just seems like a messy way of ensuring they could have the special effects sequence of the pod race that they wanted, in order to lead to the rather simple outcome of them leaving Tatooine with the ship fixed and Anakin in tow.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:07:02 AM by ketchup »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Great points, ketchup.  That doesn't make sense at all.  As a 15 yo when I saw it, I likely didn't care about what made sense at all.

The one thing that always bothered me, even though I still say I enjoyed the movie, was that C3PO was built by Anakin, yet Darth Vader didn't recognize him later.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
Ep I is the worst story wise, but Attack of the Clones becomes ridiculously boring by the middle of the movie. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time it came out, and almost falling asleep until the final scene.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
According to my husband, who has had two motorcycles, it's a safety thing. Drivers of cars simply do not see motorcycles, so you make yourself loud and hope they can at least hear you. Makes sense to me.

That said, I don't get motorcycles. Especially after multiple brushes with death.

Also, people who use the bathroom stall next to the one I'm in, even though there are plenty of other bathroom stalls that aren't next to an occupied one.

Finally, people who listen to/watch media on their devices without headphones. Dude, just no.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

EarthSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »

I was watching the David Cross standup and he does a bit about a tattoo parlour that is the home of the "Get what you get tattoo".  $40 and you get whatever the artist feels like at that moment.  I'd have to be blacked out to go along with something like that.

My favorite "truth in advertising" shop was "Scarred For Life Tattoo" in Boulder, Colorado. (Maybe too truthful... now closed.) I always thought it should be next door to "What Where You Inking?" removal in the Highlands, Denver.
Retired early, retired often since 1998...

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
According to my husband, who has had two motorcycles, it's a safety thing. Drivers of cars simply do not see motorcycles, so you make yourself loud and hope they can at least hear you. Makes sense to me.

That said, I don't get motorcycles. Especially after multiple brushes with death.

Also, people who use the bathroom stall next to the one I'm in, even though there are plenty of other bathroom stalls that aren't next to an occupied one.

Finally, people who listen to/watch media on their devices without headphones. Dude, just no.

i get loudish pipes for bikes but i don't need to hear it from blocks away.

there was an office i worked at that had a diagram in the bathroom as to which stalls to use if one or more stalls was occupied. always leave a space if you can.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
I don't get a lot of humor other people find hilarious.  It's awkward when somebody I know will rave about a comedy they love.  I know I'm going to get flamed for it, but to name just a few actors who are completely not funny to me: Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Will Farrell, and Ben Stiller.  For some reason a lot of times it's British comedians that can really get me belly laughing, like Simon Pegg or Eddie Izzard. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
The common thread I see in those 4 actors, their movies are always highly quotable.  I think that's what makes people enjoy going back and watching them over and over.  The movies comedy isn't so much to give you belly-laughs, but to give you fun comments to make with your friends later.

At least that's been my experience.  Some examples*:
 - Sandler - Happy Gilmore "Go to your home, ball!" / "The price is wrong, b***h!"
 - Carrey - Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls "And you must be, the monopoly man!  *whispers* Psst, thanks for the free parking"
 - Farrell - Old School:  "I'll do one!" / "Bring your green hat!"
 - Stiller - Zoolander: "What is this!? A school for ants!?" / "They died in a freak gasoline fight accident."

*Quotes from memory, and may be incorrect.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
The common thread I see in those 4 actors, their movies are always highly quotable.  I think that's what makes people enjoy going back and watching them over and over.  The movies comedy isn't so much to give you belly-laughs, but to give you fun comments to make with your friends later.

- Sandler - Happy Gilmore "Go to your home, ball!" / "The price is wrong, b***h!"
 - Carrey - Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls "And you must be, the monopoly man!  *whispers* Psst, thanks for the free parking"
 - Stiller - Zoolander: "What is this!? A school for ants!?" / "They died in a freak gasoline fight accident."

That's just it.  It's super awkward when you're in a conversation and people start quoting movies that you just don't find funny, even if you know the reference.  I end up having to fake a laugh a lot.  There are plenty of funny movies that I do like quoting.   Miami Wice is number one new show. 

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »

That's just it.  It's super awkward when you're in a conversation and people start quoting movies that you just don't find funny, even if you know the reference.  I end up having to fake a laugh a lot.  There are plenty of funny movies that I do like quoting.   Miami Wice is number one new show.
I still use every opportunity I have to say "You've got red on you."

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Great points, ketchup.  That doesn't make sense at all.  As a 15 yo when I saw it, I likely didn't care about what made sense at all.

The one thing that always bothered me, even though I still say I enjoyed the movie, was that C3PO was built by Anakin, yet Darth Vader didn't recognize him later.
I say just one thing. Midichlorian. Used in ep1, forgot by everyone on all the other episodes, even when they could have used it to determine the hidden sith in the republic. Worst plot device ever actually in any movie/trilogy ever.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk