Author Topic: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...  (Read 45031 times)

Raenia

• Bristles
Re: The MMM I Don't Get It thread...
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
I don't get why so many people don't vote.  I get that some people might have legitimate difficulties with the process, but the turnout (especially in non-presidential election years) is just atrocious.

I missed the local primary elections in my town because I didn't know they were happening until the day after.  I was pretty pissed - after all the press, dozens of calls from the parties, etc, for the presidential election, nary a peep, not a mention on the radio, nothing at all for the elections where an individual vote has a much stronger impact.  Seems the dominant party in town actually prefers people not vote on certain local elections, because it makes it easier to control who the party nominee is if there's no notifications to voters.  Needless to say, I'm looking up dates and writing them on my calendar in the future.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
i don't understand people leaving their cars idling while the run in the store of pump gas. is it really that hard to turn a key?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
There is an urban legend that stopping and starting a car requires more fuel than just leaving it running for a minute or two.  This is untrue, but I remember hearing it growing up, and believing it for a long time.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.Ē - Dalai Lama

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
There is an urban legend that stopping and starting a car requires more fuel than just leaving it running for a minute or two.  This is untrue, but I remember hearing it growing up, and believing it for a long time.
I think that's still technically true, but for a modern (as in fuel-injected, so like 1990+) car the break-even time is more like 10 seconds.

A similar mis-applied fact is that running the AC in a car is better on gas than rolling down the windows at high speeds.  Technically true, but just leaving the windows up and using the vent without AC is better than either option...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:43:39 PM by ketchup »

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
People who "don't like water". How do you not like water?

I've met a person who doesn't like "fruit" and another that doesn't like "veguetables."  The whole categories.  These are adults, and they try to avoid these entire food categories.  I don't get it.

Yup.  I've met several like this.  One of my friends likes only carbs, cheese, sweets, and meat.  He developed diabetes, needless to say.
I don't get that people think diet causes diabetes. It doesn't. Of course it can (and often does) exacerbate high blood sugar for those with the genetic misfortune of being so inclined.

A (VoIP) landline allows for better quality calls and a cheaper cell phone plan.

I don't get anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO, and organic everything.
Poor diet and being overweight/obese absolutely cause diabetes (yes, some people are more inclined than others. Some people are also genetically inclined to get cancer more easily from smoking - does that mean smoking does not cause cancer?)
The rise in rates of Type 2 diabetes, particularly in the US, is horrifying. If one is obese and that dramatically increases their chances of developing Type 2 diabetes, they aren't suffering from "genetic misfortune" any more than a smoker is when they develop lung cancer.

Agree on the vax/gmo/organic stuff, can throw gluten-free in there as well.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
A similar mis-applied fact is that running the AC in a car is better on gas than rolling down the windows at high speeds.  Technically true, but just leaving the windows up and using the vent without AC is better than either option...

You don't live in the South, do you?

Never. Give up.

My Woodworking Blog

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
can throw gluten-free in there as well.

For some it is a fad.  For others any gluten means a day or more of GI agony.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »

You don't live in the South, do you?

Northern Illinois, where plenty of people use this as an excuse to blast the car AC as soon as it gets over 60F outside.  I get that car AC has its place (I use it when appropriate), but don't pretend you're "saving gas."

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
That's odd... having lived outside the US for a while and having had to constantly try to explain the two political parties to people here I've come to believe that Rs and Ds are much more similar to each other than most other parties in other countries. 
In other words, I think the Green party and Conservative party in Canada are much furhter apart from each other than the GOP and Democrats.  Or the Labour party v. Liberal democrats...

I constantly hear the sentiment from non-US citizens that there seems to be very little seperating the two.

On reflection I think that is true about American political parties - right wing and really right wing. Seriously, Americans would think our Liberals are left-wing, until they looked at the NDP.  And the Green Party is on another axis altogether.  Not to mention the Bloc Quebecois.

Don't even get me started on the Bloc Quebecois - remember where I live... l'Indťpendance en 2018 - un projet gagnon!
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »

I've met a person who doesn't like "fruit" and another that doesn't like "veguetables."  The whole categories.  These are adults, and they try to avoid these entire food categories.  I don't get it.

Yup.  I've met several like this.  One of my friends likes only carbs, cheese, sweets, and meat.  He developed diabetes, needless to say.
I don't get that people think diet causes diabetes. It doesn't. Of course it can (and often does) exacerbate high blood sugar for those with the genetic misfortune of being so inclined.

A (VoIP) landline allows for better quality calls and a cheaper cell phone plan.

Poor diet and being overweight/obese absolutely cause diabetes (yes, some people are more inclined than others. Some people are also genetically inclined to get cancer more easily from smoking - does that mean smoking does not cause cancer?)
The rise in rates of Type 2 diabetes, particularly in the US, is horrifying. If one is obese and that dramatically increases their chances of developing Type 2 diabetes, they aren't suffering from "genetic misfortune" any more than a smoker is when they develop lung cancer.

Agree on the vax/gmo/organic stuff, can throw gluten-free in there as well.
Eh, smoking causes damage to DNA.  AFAIK, sugar doesn't.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
can throw gluten-free in there as well.

For some it is a fad.  For others any gluten means a day or more of GI agony.
Of course, and I was not at all aiming at people who suffer from gluten-related disorders. Nonetheless they constitute a small percentage of people who want to eat "gluten-free".

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
Wearing hats with super flat bills, or with the shiny sticker still on it...  Drives me crazy.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »
The fact that smoking changes DNA has no bearing on anything in my post.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

Let me clarify. He ate mostly high glycemic food with not great nutrient value, and got fatter and fatter with the years, and eventually developed diabetes (to no one's surprise). Presumably he was genetically inclined, but his diet and ever increasing weight did him no favors.  Another friend likes  veggies and fruits,  but also loves carbs and sweets, and ate a lot of them.  He also gained weight over the years, and eventually got diabetes (to no one's surprise).  Then there is me: a tiny twig who eats low glycemic and loves fruits and veggies, but is at risk for diabetes because of an endocrine condition.  I might get diabetes anyway, but it would be stupid of me to eat a bunch of simple carbs and sugar all the time, or let my weight climb, because it would raise my risk further.

So, how about we say, poor diet increases statistical risk for diabetes in two ways: increasing weight, and pummeling the system with sugar and simple carbs, thus increasing chances of insulin resistance.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
Let's be straightfoward here - lack of physical activity and obesity are two of the most common causes of type ii diabetes, according to the CDC. Conversely, a healthy diet and regular physical activity are listed as the two most important things one can do to prevent or delay the onset of type ii diabetes.

sheesh...
https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/prevention.html

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
That's odd... having lived outside the US for a while and having had to constantly try to explain the two political parties to people here I've come to believe that Rs and Ds are much more similar to each other than most other parties in other countries. 
In other words, I think the Green party and Conservative party in Canada are much furhter apart from each other than the GOP and Democrats.  Or the Labour party v. Liberal democrats...

I constantly hear the sentiment from non-US citizens that there seems to be very little seperating the two.

On reflection I think that is true about American political parties - right wing and really right wing. Seriously, Americans would think our Liberals are left-wing, until they looked at the NDP.  And the Green Party is on another axis altogether.  Not to mention the Bloc Quebecois.

Don't even get me started on the Bloc Quebecois - remember where I live... l'Indťpendance en 2018 - un projet gagnon!

Tell me. I grew up in Quebec, spent most of my adult life in Quebec.  We were able to afford our first house because of the exodus down the 401 after the first PQ win.  When we moved to Ontario it was not because of politics, but everyone thought it was.  Every time it looks shaky houses sell like mad just over the Ontario border.  Yup, BQ on their own political axis, out on their own. 
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

teen persuasion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
I don't get why our method of marking time still has so many weird holdovers from multiple ancient civilizations.

Our month names are either Roman gods or Caesars, or ordinal names that are out of position - September means seventh month, October means eighth month, etc.  Our days of the week are named for mostly Norse gods, with a few celestial references.  Our hours and minutes use the Babylonians' base sixty number system, except that we've extended it to include hundredths of a second.  Our marking of years is based on a miscalculated birth date.

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
Fun thread. A couple come to mind.

I don't get people who hang credentials at their cube or office wall. The whole 'what do you call the person who graduated last on med school?' always comes to mind.

Because I don't want to keep them in my house.. on the walls or in a file cabinet. Why wouldn't I hang em in the ONLY place they matter.. at work!
Then why not keep them in a drawer or filing cabinet at work? Or somewhere else where you don't make sure it's visible to every single visitor?
I tried googling why physicians hang their diplomas on the wall and your answer comes up often, and IMO it's such a cop-out. There's a reason people with any degree (besides medicine and law) almost never hang up theirs, and it's not that they have better storage options.

So I can stare at them and ponder how much better I am than my visitors.  Or maybe it makes no sense to keep such things in filing cabinet.  If you really don't care, just toss it in the trash?  Why store it at all?  Nobody will ever ask to see it.

In one of my fields we were actually asked to bring our credentials to hang on the wall (heart ultrasound) to show to patients and upon inspection from the lab accrediting agencies  that everyone at the lab was properly educated and credentialed. It's not a regulated profession in my province so you CAN hire anyone, though 98% of labs get credentialed people.

Edited to add in another job, I had an extra certification in a frame, my boss walked in and saw it... He said "huh! I didn't know you had that course! I haven't done it. Tell me about it." And I got to use that skill set from then on. Despite the fact it was on my resume, it got lost to them over time. It wasn't my intention but it's not always a bad idea to have visual reminders out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:40:19 PM by MBot »

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:11 AM »
I don't get why our method of marking time still has so many weird holdovers from multiple ancient civilizations.

Our month names are either Roman gods or Caesars, or ordinal names that are out of position - September means seventh month, October means eighth month, etc.  Our days of the week are named for mostly Norse gods, with a few celestial references.  Our hours and minutes use the Babylonians' base sixty number system, except that we've extended it to include hundredths of a second.  Our marking of years is based on a miscalculated birth date.

if you've ever read 'infinite jest', corporations own the naming rights to years, as in 'the year of depends undergarments'.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
I donít get most womenís clothing or fashion.

High heels - yay! Letís make shoes that make women stand on their toes, ruining their posture and reducing their speed and mobility, just so their calves and ass look better to the opposite sex.  No thanks.  I was able to meet a mate and Procreate without ever wearing them, so I donít buy that they are necessary. 

No pockets in many womenís pants - trying to find work pants that look professional and have adequate pockets should not be such a struggle.

High maintanance hair cuts - I am talking about hair cuts that require monthly cuts or dye jobs in order to look good.  Why would you want to spend hours a month in a salon?  Similarly, paying for manicures/pedicures.  Just paint your own nails.

Piercings:  Punching holes in the body in order to put decorative baubles in your ears seems weird.  I have pierced ears that I got as a child, not knowing any better, and now I just wear very simple cheap studs, the same ones every day.  I canít imagine changing up my earrings every day.

In fact, most jewelry seems like a waste. 

Hey, I get wanting to look nice, but I donít understand the sacrifices that many women make to their time, health and budget to do it.  And donít get me started on cosmetic plastic surgery....

I donít get the Beatles either.  I mean, I understand intellectually why they were so popular, and how they influenced music, but to be honest, they donít hold up to the test of time the way that say, classical music or jazz does, at least not to me.  Even Elvis seems more talented.  I just donít connect with them emotionally.

the_grillman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
I think that's still technically true, but for a modern (as in fuel-injected, so like 1990+) car the break-even time is more like 10 seconds.

I know most MMMers don't buy new cars so I'll simply add that a lot of new cars in North America (and other developed countries) have an engine off feature that turn the engine off when stopped at red lights and such.
I'll leave it up to people to piece together why, but suggest tightening of fuel economy regulations as a place to start (Ignoring Trump's Administration).

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »

I know most MMMers don't buy new cars so I'll simply add that a lot of new cars in North America (and other developed countries) have an engine off feature that turn the engine off when stopped at red lights and such.
I'll leave it up to people to piece together why, but suggest tightening of fuel economy regulations as a place to start (Ignoring Trump's Administration).

It's due to emissions, not related to fuel economy.  And it was done to satisfy California requirements so nothing really to do with the federal regs.
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  Weíre the people who look at what we got, figure out what we donít like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »

It's due to emissions, not related to fuel economy.  And it was done to satisfy California requirements so nothing really to do with the federal regs.

It seems like start-stop technology reduces BOTH emissions and fuel consumption.  Which makes sense, as emissions come from the combustion of fuel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/engine-stop-start-systems-explained-tech-dept
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/automobiles/wheels/start-stop-technology-is-coming-to-cars-like-it-or-not.html

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
The start stop tech is cool, but they do probably account for a better starter motor, etc in the engineering.  I know it's super fast compared to my poor mans version (hand on key).

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
Wearing hats with super flat bills, or with the shiny sticker still on it...  Drives me crazy.

Seriously! WTF is with that?!
"Not all quotes on the internet are accurate" -- Abraham Lincoln

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
-People who drive trucks that aren't hauling anything...and for that matter, why we're subsidizing business to have a new truck every year

-why suburbs got rid of alleys and the grid system of street design (besides making it harder for people to drive through)

-why a lot of new homes are the backdrop for a large front garage

-fake eyelashes...fake nails...fake hair

-people who can't read maps

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
The hyperloop.  What happens if/when someone gets stuck in the tube halfway through?  I haven't seen anyone explain how they're handling that.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

surfhb

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
The hyperloop.  What happens if/when someone gets stuck in the tube halfway through?  I haven't seen anyone explain how they're handling that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-happens-if-the-hyperloop-crashes-2013-8

MrsWolfeRN

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
-People who drive trucks that aren't hauling anything...and for that matter, why we're subsidizing business to have a new truck every year

-why suburbs got rid of alleys and the grid system of street design (besides making it harder for people to drive through)

-why a lot of new homes are the backdrop for a large front garage

-fake eyelashes...fake nails...fake hair

-people who can't read maps

I don't like the front garage thing either for aesthetic reasons, but in snowy climates it is quite practical in that having the garage closer to the street means less area of driveway to shovel and more green space. It must save the builder money on concrete as well. Of course if they still had alleys this wouldn't be a problem, except someone would have to shovel the snow from them too.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
New one from today from Glacier National Park. I don't get people who wear headphones out on a mountain trail. Saw two people halfway up Apgar Lookout both with headphones. Besides the safety concern, one is missing so much by not having open ears.

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »

If you're actually curious it was about status and wealth. By now, though, it may just be fashion. A flat bill and a sticker are qualities that the hat has when it is new. In order to show that the individual in question had enough money to purchase said hat new, the hat is kept this way. If you're poor and must acquire a hat second hand, it is unlikely to have either a flat bill or the sticker on it.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
The start stop tech is cool, but they do probably account for a better starter motor, etc in the engineering.  I know it's super fast compared to my poor mans version (hand on key).

Yep, they get beefier starter motors that are rated for more lifetime starts.

the_grillman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »

It seems like start-stop technology reduces BOTH emissions and fuel consumption.  Which makes sense, as emissions come from the combustion of fuel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/engine-stop-start-systems-explained-tech-dept
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/automobiles/wheels/start-stop-technology-is-coming-to-cars-like-it-or-not.html

Bingo, fuel economy ∝ CO2 emissions (which is why there is a conversion factor).

It is most definitely not just the CARB. Not only does it increase on cycle fuel economy (the number most consumers see), the EPA also gives and off cycle credit (refer to 40 CFR 86.1869-12, a Federal Regulation).

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
Re: celebrities. Not only do I not care about a famous person's personal life, why do they get to eat up national news time and column space with their political opinions? The media gives them a voice as if they were actual politicians who I'd better listen to. Keep that crap in the Entertainment section.

Re: praise be to the US military. As a soldier with 18 years in and much of it in this war, this annoys me sometimes too.  Showing public support for the US military quickly went from "showing support" to "you're an evil commie if you're not tripping over yourself to praise and kiss ass." I know that is a rather large blanket to throw, but that has been my perception. I've watched grown adults nearly fight each other over who was more patriotic and I've seen soldiers now raised to believe the American public owes them something and loudly complain whenever they're treated like a normal citizen.  One of the Army's tenets is "selfless service," but somewhere this was missed because receiving praise through a fire hose became the norm.  Whenever I'm in an airport, I feel like I have to be on the lookout for some cocky young trooper who is about to make a scene because he thinks everyone should be bowing down and carrying him on a litter.  Before you think me creating strawmen, I've met this person before. One was a Sergeant Major with well over 20 years and the other was a Private not even finished with training. Both were giving airline employees a hard time and using their service as a point of leverage.  When I enlisted I was told "You're serving them.  If they want to do something nice for you, you graciously accept. But don't ever go walking around with your hand out looking for favors."

What I "don't get" currently: Internet spam that seems to go out of its way to turn you off. If the whole point of spam is to get you to click on it, then why does it appear to be written by an 8 year old?  My junk mail folder is overflowing with phishing attempts that read "You must click on this link now because reasons, blort" and there is always a single random unrelated word at the end of that message.  It makes the scam too easy to identify. Today the message "from Facebook" was "You have 2 unread messages that will be deleted in 1 days commoner." Another read "Messages that must be read pray."  If I wasn't already savvy enough to know the email was bullshit, that last word in the title would be a dead giveaway. It's always there.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
What I "don't get" currently: Internet spam that seems to go out of its way to turn you off. If the whole point of spam is to get you to click on it, then why does it appear to be written by an 8 year old?  My junk mail folder is overflowing with phishing attempts that read "You must click on this link now because reasons, blort" and there is always a single random unrelated word at the end of that message.  It makes the scam too easy to identify. Today the message "from Facebook" was "You have 2 unread messages that will be deleted in 1 days commoner." Another read "Messages that must be read pray."  If I wasn't already savvy enough to know the email was bullshit, that last word in the title would be a dead giveaway. It's always there.
I've read of two reasons the spam is so blatantly bad: extra words helps them get through spam filter, and they don't want to waste their time on reasonably intelligent people.

simonsez

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2017, 12:05:54 AM »
New one from today from Glacier National Park. I don't get people who wear headphones out on a mountain trail. Saw two people halfway up Apgar Lookout both with headphones. Besides the safety concern, one is missing so much by not having open ears.

I was walking back from Hidden Lake Overlook on Tuesday when I heard a middle-aged woman in flip flops going the other way about to approach the end of the wooden walkway, "Why can't they have shoveled away all this snow yet?  It's July, this is ridiculous!"

I kept silent and passed her but I made sure to take a water break shortly afterward and turned around to watch her struggle over the first snow patch.

Saw plenty of headphones as well.  Hope they didn't run into any bears while not paying full attention!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2017, 02:03:39 AM »

Also it's written by a learning algorithm trying to figure out the most effective things to say.  It should be terrifying if the bots can now write at an 8-year-old level
I've read of two reasons the spam is so blatantly bad: extra words helps them get through spam filter, and they don't want to waste their time on reasonably intelligent people.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »

If you're actually curious it was about status and wealth. By now, though, it may just be fashion. A flat bill and a sticker are qualities that the hat has when it is new. In order to show that the individual in question had enough money to purchase said hat new, the hat is kept this way. If you're poor and must acquire a hat second hand, it is unlikely to have either a flat bill or the sticker on it.

https://youtu.be/i5ZM0-f5_CU

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
Decorative Pillows

Communities WITHOUT sidewalks

Ever-expanding highways

omachi

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »

https://youtu.be/i5ZM0-f5_CU

Man do I love Key and Peele.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
Decorative Pillows

Even more so when they cover almost the whole freaking bed, and you have to take them all off to go to sleep. And then put them all back again in the morning. Complete waste of time.

onewayfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Decorative Pillows

Even more so when they cover almost the whole freaking bed, and you have to take them all off to go to sleep. And then put them all back again in the morning. Complete waste of time.

Couldn't resist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVWECam8EA
We FIRE'd at age 28 (me) and 29 (Mrs. OneWayFamily) and are now trying to travel to every country on Earth - it takes longer with 2 toddlers!

If you'd like to keep track of where we're at - check out our photos @ Instagram or our lame attempt at a blog at onewayfamily.com

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »
I don't get why so many people don't vote.  I get that some people might have legitimate difficulties with the process, but the turnout (especially in non-presidential election years) is just atrocious.

I reckon it's a combination of 2 things: The major parties are quite the opposite of each other, yet people have been brainwashed into thinking they're the same, so don't bother to vote; and something like 40% of voters are registered as independent, yet are very rarely presented with any other choice between R's and D's, and again, don't bother to vote.

I personally think States with closed primaries need to stop this practice and open all elections to all voters, and we need to change the ballot to reflect ranked choice.

I always vote.  As such, I don't get why anyone would be upset or concerned that others aren't voting.  It just makes my voice stronger.  If people can't be bothered to cast a vote, fuck 'em.  (Efforts to reduce voter turnout by manipulating laws are of course a seperate and wholly repugnant problem.)

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
I typically let my car idle the whole 2-3 minutes I refuel not because I believe it uses more fuel to restart, but because I'd rather not have my engine and cooling system experience a huge thermal spike only to start it up again moments later. It's at that time you stop the coolant pump from circulating that engine temps climb, pressure increases and oil continues to thin out. If you've got a car with A/C you're doing a disservice to that system as well. Keep the oil circulating, keep the air moving and give your starter a break. Cranking over a heat-soaked engine is never fun (for the driver nor the starting system).

wordnerd

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »
It's not really rational to vote. The chance that a single vote will make a difference is so small that the benefit of voting on an individual level is so near zero, that we can reasonably call is zero. Whereas, the cost of voting (in time) is fixed and can be particularly costly for those with limited time (maybe working 2+ jobs and taking care of kids) and limited transportation.

That said, I vote. But I totally get why people don't.
Earn $14-22/hr teaching English from home: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=6482114

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
I too, do not get why people don't vote.  Especially with the  internet - in a few minutes you can have a pretty good idea of each candidate's history and voting record, and a good understanding of any additional measures on the ballot. 
Frugalite in training.

MrsWolfeRN

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »
I typically let my car idle the whole 2-3 minutes I refuel not because I believe it uses more fuel to restart, but because I'd rather not have my engine and cooling system experience a huge thermal spike only to start it up again moments later. It's at that time you stop the coolant pump from circulating that engine temps climb, pressure increases and oil continues to thin out. If you've got a car with A/C you're doing a disservice to that system as well. Keep the oil circulating, keep the air moving and give your starter a break. Cranking over a heat-soaked engine is never fun (for the driver nor the starting system).

Isn't it unsafe to refuel with the car running?  A lot of gas stations have signs advising against this, and I believe it is illegal in some states.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »

Isn't it unsafe to refuel with the car running?  A lot of gas stations have signs advising against this, and I believe it is illegal in some states.

yes.

I'm also failing to understand how the engine temp will climb when it is off.  No additional heat is added to the system.  Most cars I've seen will also continue to run radiator fans after engine shut off if warranted.  The engine block is massive enough that turning off the engine for a couple minutes should not cause significant thermal changes

I have occasionally left my engine running to fill up, though.  Only times of extreme heat with perishable groceries in the car.  I don't feel good about it, and try to fill up before buying frozen stuff.

I've been asked to shut off my engine by attendants, too.

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
The engine temp climbing just after shutdown is due to the cylinder walls continuing to transfer heat into the coolant, however the coolant is no longer circulating so the pressure will build in that space. This is why when your car is overheating they recommend to pull over, turn the heater on max and let the engine idle. Don't shut it off!

Electric fans help remove latent heat from the radiator (which today has plastic end tanks and can rupture under high pressure) but does nothing to circulate the coolant unless you have an electric water pump.

Yes, if it's posted, or illegal in your area/state, then shut your engine off while refueling. But the logic has always eluded me. Here you have a controlled combustion process taking place INSIDE the engine; no spark or external source of ignition. You have a greater chance of a spark from static discharge getting out of your car.

Now, you've shut your car off, you've filled up, and you go to start up- You engage the starter...a solenoid snaps in to engage the bendix and complete the high current circuit to the starter, sparking as the copper disc settles in. The starter begins spinning all the while the carbon brushes spark against the slip rings a foot off the ground, where gas vapors are in higher concentration. Has a gas station ever blown up because of that? Probably not. But I do find the advice a little counter-intuitive. Probably from the days of points ignition with windowed caps and vented tanks.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Probably from the days of points ignition with windowed caps and vented tanks.

Or people who hose down their expose running engines with gasoline.  Sometimes safety rules are to protect against stupid people more than they are to protect against technological vulnerabilities.