Author Topic: That's me in the corner... losing my religion.  (Read 94357 times)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Re: That's me in the corner... losing my religion.
« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
J Boogie, glad you have found a path that keeps you in touch with the family.

PS.  If the following joke doesn't make you chuckle, let me know and I can edit it out.  This is a pretty serious thread so hopefully I didn't post it before...apologies if I did.  I just remembered it after viewing the original posts to remember what this thread was about.  This is from my devout Catholic friend who pointed out the INRI printed on all the crosses in her church.

Friend:  Do you know what INRI stands for?
Me: What?
Friend: "I'm Not Returning Immediately."

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: January 25, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
J Boogie, I have only closely read your first post and latest update, but have you considered moving to another church?  You might be able to persuade your wife to come with you.

I speak as a former Catholic, who found a home in my husband's church, ELCA.  I was troubled by many aspects of the Catholic church, such as the guilt, the secondary role of women, the failure to embrace gay people, and attitude towards birth control, which did not seem central to Christ's message. However, I have great love and respect for many priests, nuns, and other role models in the faith, who inspired me with their dedication to good works and charity. 

I found the Lutherans very welcoming. The service that my congregation follows is very similar to the Catholic mass, with a few practical changes which I personally find to be improvements, such as confessing directly to God, not a priest, and less top-down structure. It feels much more natural to have pastors who have had the experience of being married, having children and grandchildren. While I have my criticisms (my own particular congregation could be a little more active in good works), in general I am very comfortable here, happier every year, and stronger in faith than I ever was previously.

J Boogie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #802 on: January 26, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »
@wenchsenior and @bikeB, thanks for your positive encouragement. No worries on the joke! I enjoy some good religious humor (until it devolves into insults towards a religion. I am all for critiquing any religion in a straightforward way but I cringe when beliefs are mocked derisively).

@Poundwise, I am happy for you that you have been able to find a spiritual home. My doubts regarding the core beliefs of Christianity go beyond specifically Catholic teachings, so I'm not too interested in exploring any protestant faith traditions. I have quite a few non-Catholic Christian friends and find them to be authentic followers of Jesus' teachings just as many of my Catholic friends are.