Author Topic: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.  (Read 95976 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Caught a hummingbird. Little bugger got stuck in our garage yesterday. Despite the door being wide open he was so determined to go up, I realized he would never make it out after about an hour of trying to lure him towards the door. I had my wife ease him towards me with a broom and I was standing on my jeep trying to gently cup him in my hands, finally got him and set him free.

I had a bat in the house this spring and had to do the same - apparently the echolocation wasn't up to finding the open window?

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
I've seen bats completely miss an open window but always assumed it was because they were young and frightened out of their fuzzy little minds.  You were MOST courageous to give it a hand out of the way.  Me, I crawl away, practically screaming, into the bathroom and wait until they've settled before I pop out and open a window and/or door for them.  Ended up starving one little idiot to death because I couldn't find him to get him out and he could never find the open window.

My great aunt saved a little hummingbird that somehow got his beak stuck in a screen.  She gently pushed his beak back out and he flew off.  Me, I've caught a couple of small wrens that have got into buildings and knocked themselves silly which make them easy to scoop up and take back outside.

I caught a minnow by hand once as a kid.  Mom took me and a neighbor kid riding our bikes and we stopped at a local pond to cool our feet off.  A school of minnows came up to feed on whatever was in the cloud of mud we stirred up so I reached down and caught one in my cupped hands to everyone's amazement.  But probably others here have hand caught fish before.

I had a bald eagle zip by my second story kitchen window in downtown Marlborough NH.  I almost stopped breathing when I realized what it was.  Houses in the neighborhood are almost all on little quarter acre lots so it's not where you'd expect to see one.  I always guessed it followed the Minnewawa Brook (yeah, that's really its name) looking for fish and followed a cluster of pigeons into the neighborhood to try to take one for a meal.

Eons ago in the late 60's, we saw elephants in a field in Vermont.  I was maybe 4 or so and we were travelling to Middlesex to see my sister and her kids.  Up what looked to me like the most ginormous hill ever was a big elephant and a smaller one.  There's a fuzzy photo Mom took after she made Dad stop the car.  No one ever believes us until we pull it out to show them.

Mostly I feel embarrassed by how much cool stuff people on this forum have done.  I guess I make wallflowers look like wild floozies in comparison.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #502 on: August 18, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Swam my way out of a construction site (under a gate through the mud) I'd been locked inside during a flood.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #503 on: September 04, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
A very long time ago, I was working at research facility that raise thousands of fish in big tanks. To make long story short, one of my colleague miscalculate a medication for them, so he ended up killing these fish. We were knee deep inside these huge tanks, shoveling thousands of dead fish out of the tanks, in the middle of summer.   

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2018, 07:24:40 AM »
I was in the World Trade Center 10 minutes before the first plane hit.

I saw the second plane hit the south tower.

(9/11 in downtown New York City in case you wondered)

Almost 17 years later, I have finally got over the trauma of this event to write about it on quora.

http://qr.ae/TUNgEH

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
A very long time ago, I was working at research facility that raise thousands of fish in big tanks. To make long story short, one of my colleague miscalculate a medication for them, so he ended up killing these fish. We were knee deep inside these huge tanks, shoveling thousands of dead fish out of the tanks, in the middle of summer.

Haven't done that but probably volunteered with the same smell.  Our local playground was flooded by several feet of water and lost electricity for weeks after Katrina.  The playground's walk-in freezer had just been loaded with all the food supplies for the upcoming football season (chicken nuggets, hamburger patties, french fries, etc.)  The park had a volunteer day weeks later and some of us were shoveling that assorted previously-frozen mess into dumpsters. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »

Almost 17 years later, I have finally got over the trauma of this event to write about it on quora.

How did you get home? Via subway/train? I assume all of NYC was in chaos - but that is an assumption.
Just seeing it in TV was shocking (I was watching morning news when the story broke, saw the 2nd plane hit). I had to force myself to go to work instead of staying glued to the TV.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: September 05, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »

How did you get home? Via subway/train? I assume all of NYC was in chaos - but that is an assumption.
Just seeing it in TV was shocking (I was watching morning news when the story broke, saw the 2nd plane hit). I had to force myself to go to work instead of staying glued to the TV.

Took the subway to midtown. Made sure the subway we took did not go under the WTC.

Then took the NJ transit back to Princeton Junction. We had to wait till about 3 until they finished inspecting the tunnels for any possible sabotage.

I was surprised by how quickly police, fire and other services reacted. They shut down Penn station and sent us to wait outside by about 11. Also, people were well behaved. I was a little worried that there might be violence, but the NYPD was great and kept law and order.

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
Caught a hummingbird. Little bugger got stuck in our garage yesterday. Despite the door being wide open he was so determined to go up, I realized he would never make it out after about an hour of trying to lure him towards the door. I had my wife ease him towards me with a broom and I was standing on my jeep trying to gently cup him in my hands, finally got him and set him free.

They do hummingbird banding in my area and I used to volunteer, I got to catch, weigh and feed hummingbirds before releasing them.  It was a really cool thing to experience.  I also photograph hummingbirds as a hobby. 

For future reference:  If you get a hummingbird in your garage or house, the easiest way to get them out is turn off the lights, and place a hummingbird feeder near an open door or window.  They will get hungry, go to the feeder and then they can usually find their way out. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »

That is very, very hard, CowboyAndIndian. So glad that you and yours were safe that day.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: September 05, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »

That is very, very hard, CowboyAndIndian. So glad that you and yours were safe that day.

Thank you

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #511 on: September 05, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
 Not unique, but achieved the act of congress in Ohio Stadium. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!