Author Topic: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.  (Read 95745 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
Won a state level strongman contest.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Been mistaken as "oh and your wife" to more than one of my co-workers.

Did not get that, could you elaborate?

Simple been on business trips over the years and had hotel and or restaurant people mistake me as my co-workers spouse; this has happened with multiple co-workers.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

Simple been on business trips over the years and had hotel and or restaurant people mistake me as my co-workers spouse; this has happened with multiple co-workers.
It's happened to me too.  The fact that it can't be chalked up as a one-off for the purposes of this thread is testament to chronic sexism that sees a woman and sees a spousal appendage rather than an independent economic operator.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
Accused of stealing laundry by "gypsies" (French Romany). After extricating myself from that uncomfortable situation, went back to my job of digging up goat bones.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »

It's happened to me too.  The fact that it can't be chalked up as a one-off for the purposes of this thread is testament to chronic sexism that sees a woman and sees a spousal appendage rather than an independent economic operator.

Am I missing something? It seems to me that if you're not wearing business attire and it's not lunchtime, it would be most reasonable for someone to guess that you're probably married if you're at a hotel or restaurant together. No one has ever assumed that my husband is my coworker; they always assume he's my husband. Of course if you're staying in different rooms at a hotel or requesting separate checks at a restaurant, then it would make more sense to assume you're probably not married and might, in fact, be coworkers on a business trip.

I'm a woman, and I understand that there are still areas of life where we are not treated equally to men, but I think this might be a case of looking for offensive action where none was meant. And in the long run, I think it makes people less likely to take our complaints about truly offensive situations seriously.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »

Am I missing something? It seems to me that if you're not wearing business attire and it's not lunchtime, it would be most reasonable for someone to guess that you're probably married if you're at a hotel or restaurant together. No one has ever assumed that my husband is my coworker; they always assume he's my husband. Of course if you're staying in different rooms at a hotel or requesting separate checks at a restaurant, then it would make more sense to assume you're probably not married and might, in fact, be coworkers on a business trip.

I'm a woman, and I understand that there are still areas of life where we are not treated equally to men, but I think this might be a case of looking for offensive action where none was meant. And in the long run, I think it makes people less likely to take our complaints about truly offensive situations seriously.

I am reminded of a time at the end of university where my future wife and I went out to a very fancy dinner with three other couples to celebrate.  We happened to hav been seated around a round table:  Me (white dude) and my future wife (Phillipino girl), Chinese guy and Indian girl, Pakistani guy and black girl, Trinidadian guy and white girl.  When the bills finally came they had to be sent back because the server had assumed I was with the white girl, my wife was with the Chinese guy, etc.

Kinda racist?  I suppose it could have been, but I think we all chalked it up to an understandable assumption on the part of the waiter (who was actually really embarassed about it).  For better or worse, the brain often makes shortcut jumps to things commonly seen.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »

Happens to me pretty regularly, when traveling with my (male) boss. Not a big deal when out and about, at restaurants, etc. Incredibly frustrating when at a work conference, however.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2017, 04:58:54 AM »

Happens to me pretty regularly, when traveling with my (male) boss. Not a big deal when out and about, at restaurants, etc. Incredibly frustrating when at a work conference, however.

Oooh, I remember being in that situation. However, I was the only one from my organisation at this conference so I wasn't even with a male colleague who could be mistaken for my husband. I would try to network (I'm socially awkward and a bit shy but still) before the conference started and none of the guys would talk to me about work stuff because they all assumed I was there as the wife of an attendee. (it was a male-dominated area of work) But once I gave my presentation, the penny would drop and everyone would then be happy to talk to me. Rather frustrating.

So, I guess that could be a thing I've done that nobody else has done - gone to a conference as an invited speaker and nobody wanting to talk to me beforehand because they assumed I was there as a spouse of an attendee. (I'm hoping nobody else has had that happen to them - it's really not great)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
So, I guess that could be a thing I've done that nobody else has done - gone to a conference as an invited speaker and nobody wanting to talk to me beforehand because they assumed I was there as a spouse of an attendee. (I'm hoping nobody else has had that happen to them - it's really not great)

I wouldn't chalk that one up to gender bias.  I routinely give invited talks to large rooms, and before the talk I'm just another face in the crowd and after the talk I'm everyone's personal best friend.  If you speak well and authentically, you forge the illusion of a personal connection that makes it much easier for people to approach you.  They're not discriminating against you before you talk, people are just shy and uncomfortable about initiating conversations with total strangers without first having some common ground on which to build a conversation.

I've found this true in a wide variety of professional settings.  The most notable exception is rooms full of elected officials and their staffs.  Those people are professionally gregarious.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
Licked my elbows!
I can do this!  My shoulders are unreasonably flexible.

Mine is I met my husband on the side of a battlefield in the 12th century.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
Licked my elbows!

What do your shoulders have to do with licking his elbows?

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Licked my elbows!

Mine is I met my husband on the side of a battlefield in the 12th century.

Do I spy a LARPer?

(I can also lick my own elbows but I'd need to get to know Financial Velociraptor a bit better before licking their's) ;)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
My shoulders bend in such a way as to get my elbow close to my mouth.  I don't have a long tongue, just flexible joints.

We've been known to don a costume or 2 lol!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »
Danced at NBA halftime shows, and met Vince Carter. Our exchange backstage (I know that's not what you call it in sports, but what do you call it?) was:

V.C.: Hello there!
Me: Hi.
V.C. : You're really short!
Me: Well, you're really tall!
V.C. : True, true. Have a good show.
Me: Thanks! What's your name? My boyfriend will want to know!
V.C.: Uh, Vince Carter, just tell him that and he'll shit himself.
Me: Great, thank you!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
V.C.: Uh, Vince Carter, just tell him that and he'll shit himself.

Ahh, modesty at its best...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
Testified in Federal Court (and at Grand Jury before that) in a Federal Racketeering case.

What makes this unique:
I was a witness for one side during the Grand Jury and for the other side at the trial. 

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »
Met my spouse on the phone and we phone dated for 8 months before meeting face-to-face.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:21:07 AM by C-note »

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2017, 07:00:28 PM »
Played on the same stage as the Beatles!

Of course, they played on it in 1961 and I played on it in 1989...

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »
Saw the Ramones play two nights in a row at the London Astoria in 1995.

surfhb

« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »

Hey.  These are getting a little watered down.   ;).   Isn't the thread title stuff NO ONE else has done?

I Saw the Ramones play at the now defunct Palamino Club in LA in 1985.   

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:58:28 PM by surfhb »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
I love this thread, but

it makes me feel kinda ordinary.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »

Hey.  These are getting a little watered down.   ;).   Isn't the thread title stuff NO ONE else has done?

I saw the Ramones hanging out at a dive bar around the corner from Rockefeller Center in 1984 or 1985.  Joey Ramone was making out with a girl at the bar, leaned over, vomited, and then started kissing her again.  Gross!  Not even another swig of his drink or a trip to the bathroom.  yuk!

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
Flipped a go-kart 540 degrees so that it came to a rest upside down. Unharmed, I unbuckled the harness and climbed out. It was at a track and I didn't get to drive anymore after that. Can't say I blame them.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »
Taught Jane Goodall about rodeos.

(Yes, the Jane Goodall.)

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: October 23, 2017, 08:02:57 AM »
Played on the same stage as the Beatles!

Of course, they played on it in 1961 and I played on it in 1989...

Done that (except it wasn't in 1989.)

My grandfather ran the civic hall in a small town near Liverpool in the later 1950s and early 1960s and booked the Beatles and all the other local groups (and also Paul Simon amongst others.) He met them, sorted out their fees etc. but never stayed for the actual performances because he didn't like "that kind of thing." We used that same stage for school bands & choirs, christmas nativity plays etc etc.

I guess I could say that I designed a small part of a silicon chip that most adults on the planet own today or have owned in the past.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I've built the innards of satellites which are going around the globe.

innards -> technical term ;-)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
I met my now-girlfriend on a anonymous-and-randomly-assigned one-on-one chat website (not a dating site) just over eight years ago.  At the time she lived about 2000 miles away.

surfhb

« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »

I saw the Ramones hanging out at a dive bar around the corner from Rockefeller Center in 1984 or 1985.  Joey Ramone was making out with a girl at the bar, leaned over, vomited, and then started kissing her again.  Gross!  Not even another swig of his drink or a trip to the bathroom.  yuk!

HaHa

That's funny....and sadly, very believable  ;)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2017, 06:14:44 AM »
Come on guys, do try and pick something you genuinely think no one else here has done. I'm sure plenty of people have hiked whatever trail. I notice no one has "me too"d mine yet - I didn't just pick "one (or more!) cool thing I have done that I wanted to show off about", I tried to honestly pick something I thought no one else on here would ever have done.

Told a shadow cabinet minister he was stupid* on live primetime national television. Was congratulated by said MP afterwards and told I should consider standing for parliament.

*this may not have been the exact word, but it was of the order of stupid or pathetic.

My bad, he was actually a cabinet minister at the time.

Eowyn_MI

• Stubble
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
Hmm, something that no one else here has done...

Does anyone else work in a ballistics lab?

I have used a high speed video camera to measure the velocity of a 20mm fragment simulating projectile after it penetrated the transparent armor ("bulletproof" glass) that was being tested. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
Come on guys, do try and pick something you genuinely think no one else here has done. I'm sure plenty of people have hiked whatever trail. I notice no one has "me too"d mine yet - I didn't just pick "one (or more!) cool thing I have done that I wanted to show off about", I tried to honestly pick something I thought no one else on here would ever have done.

Told a shadow cabinet minister he was stupid* on live primetime national television. Was congratulated by said MP afterwards and told I should consider standing for parliament.

*this may not have been the exact word, but it was of the order of stupid or pathetic.

My bad, he was actually a cabinet minister at the time.
I would have very much liked to have done this multiple times but was sadly restrained by professional courtesy and my terms of employment.  I will treasure your forthrightness.

I did once try, and fail, to explain to the Russian Minister of the Environment what "the rule of law" meant.  We just had no common points of reference.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »
Anyone else here been to a 60s British rock tribute band concert at a kibbutz?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
I met Ron Jeremy once in Vegas.

I met him once too, he's an alumni of my HS.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
I've got a couple that are usually unique.
Dropped 17 lbs in 3 days (131>114).
Gained 16 lbs in 1 day and 31 lbs in 2 weeks (114>130>145).

Can I throw going 3.5 days with zero food, zero water, and heavy exercise in there?

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »

Can I throw going 3.5 days with zero food, zero water, and heavy exercise in there?

I am really curious about the circumstances that led to all three of these things happening.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »

I am really curious about the circumstances that led to all three of these things happening.

I would put the odds at 95% that he's a boxer, wrestler, or some other sort of fighter trying to make weight.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »

I once dropped 125# in 20 minutes; should have left her long before that evening  :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »

I would put the odds at 95% that he's a boxer, wrestler, or some other sort of fighter trying to make weight.

Classic weight cutting scenario, although if you have to compete under those circumstances the field narrows to a few non-Olympic martial arts. Wrestling, boxing, and MMA have rule sets that allow the athlete to cut weight hard and then have a day to recover because the weigh-ins are the day before the fight.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »
I married the girl I met in a Bangkok hotel. Still married 21 years later.

(She wasn't a Thai hooker.)

(This one is kind of cheating. Everyone who is married meets their spouse somewhere. But I do think the location is slightly unusual.)

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2017, 05:58:47 AM »

I lost @20 lbs in 1 day. 

Of course, it's probably cheating, since I came home with another human afterwards.  :-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

I've cut similar weights for tournaments (wrestling, jiu-jitsu, judo, muay thai) but was never given a whole day to gain it back (weigh ins were on the same day as the fight).  Also, I'm closer to 200 lbs.  Dropping 130 - 115 is much more difficult (and harder on the body) than dropping 200 - 185.

I lost 30 lbs in a week when I had blood poisoning . . . but that was kinda a near death experience, and it took me three months to put it back on.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
I lost 30 lbs in a week when I had blood poisoning . . . but that was kinda a near death experience, and it took me three months to put it back on.

Yea, my fastest cut was when I had amoebic dysentery on Kilimanjaro.  Totally doesn't count. 

Unless "having amoebic dysentery on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro" is something that no one else here has done.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: October 26, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
Unless "having amoebic dysentery on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro" is something that no one else here has done.

My aunt did something very similar, but she was too sick to make it to the top of Kilimanjaro and had to be rescued. But she's not on the forum. :-)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »

My aunt did something very similar, but she was too sick to make it to the top of Kilimanjaro and had to be rescued. But she's not on the forum. :-)

Screw that.  You don't fly to Africa and ride overcrowded buses full of chickens to quit when you're so close.  I dropped trou and sprayed liquid evil all over that mountain, popped a couple of cipros, and suffered all the way to the top.  I think it adds a certain sort of poignancy to my summit photos, knowing I'm wearing unnaturally brown pants in all of them.

Wait, TMI?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »

Screw that.  You don't fly to Africa and ride overcrowded buses full of chickens to quit when you're so close.  I dropped trou and sprayed liquid evil all over that mountain, popped a couple of cipros, and suffered all the way to the top.  I think it adds a certain sort of poignancy to my summit photos, knowing I'm wearing unnaturally brown pants in all of them.

Wait, TMI?

If not poignancy, then certainly pungency.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »

Screw that.  You don't fly to Africa and ride overcrowded buses full of chickens to quit when you're so close.

She ended up in the hospital, it wasn't really a choice. She didn't really get all the way healthy for months.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
Wait, TMI?

No, your firsthand accounts of your world travels are always delightful.  But it might be worth noting for those not keeping track that this isn't the first time they have featured the theme of personal defecation across the farthest reaches of the globe.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
I worked at a place where on of my primary duties was to daily move millions of moths into a small room, heat the room up until they died, and then shovel their corpses into an incinerator.

karma's going to get you

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Mostly posting to follow but maybe this one will work?

Failed the vision test at the DMV.

I'm nearly blind in one eye (untreated lazy eye so now it's permanent), but never had a problem in another state passing the vision test. For some reason this state requires me to take a form to the eye doctor despite my better eye being fine when wearing contacts.

I would have failed the (stereo part) vision test in DMV, if I didn't cheat. I had lazy eye too. The 3d movie effect never worked on me, until I saw Avatar. That was great! 

I don't think my life is that boring but I don't have these kind of stories! I kind of avoid potentially life-threatening activities and only get into them accidently.

Since my life is boring I can say that my older brother has had the following things happen to him: drove a motorbike full speed into a set of baseball bleachers at night (only a broken nose) fell off the roof of a 2 story apartment building (broken leg) leaned against a railing of a 2 story balcony which broke causing him to fall 2 stories (no broken bones, just very bruised) been in more than one spectacular car accident where other people involved where seriously injured/broken necks where he and walked away, broke out of an outward bound type program which involved hiking miles of unnavigatable terrain, crossing the Misssippi and state lines in the process, and other unsafe and illegal activities not going to detail. No, he's not a stuntman, just foolhardy with a drinking problem.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:31:55 PM by partgypsy »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
leaned against a railing of a 2 story balcony which broke causing him to fall 2 stories (no broken bones, just very bruised)

Somehow that seems unfair, despite having done many riskier things where he probably escaped deserved injury.