Author Topic: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.  (Read 95767 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
Slept in a quinzhee of my own making for three nights, during a cold-weather wilderness camping trip.

Or is this something that teenagers do for fun in Canada?

Well yeah.  We just call it a house though, no need for fancy words.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Went on a date at a dog park with a dude wearing a Utilikilt, then went back to his place and met his wife.

Used a stolen paper plate panda mask to help two strangers on acid find their lost friend.

Used a dating site to convince someone in New York to drive 900 miles to volunteer for a political candidate.

TheGrimSqueaker:

Had my jaw dislocated by somebody's buttock

???

I was trying to prevent cauliflower ear and wore headgear. Shouldn't have. Years before, I was consistently slow on an outside block and got what I deserved, so my jaw now goes out more often than I do. But I'd picked up some cauliflower playing some submission grappling and was trying to let it heal, so I had these earmuff looking things strapped to my head. Not only did it make me look like a total pussy, but it made it damn near impossible to get out of a well sunk submission involving my head. So the chin strap of this bitchass headgear was pushing against my jaw from one side, this dude caught me easily in a reverse triangle and cranked the crap out of the submission. But when he flexed his glutes to finish the choke my jaw dislocated again.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »
I was in the World Trade Center 10 minutes before the first plane hit.

I saw the second plane hit the south tower.

(9/11 in downtown New York City in case you wondered)

Wow...just....wow. Glad you made it out, I'm sure it has been hard.

Thank  you.  It took several years till I felt normal again.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
This one I share the honor of with my husband who is also on the forum.

Walked into the middle of a swat team manhunt because they had missed sealing off on of the park entrances that is used by the local apartment residents. It was quite a shock for both them and us because we were right on top of them when they finally caught on. Fortunately for us we looked harmless and not like the person they were hunting. That could have ended very badly...

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Haha!  I was once taking my parents on a tour of Plymouth, Massachusetts, and we saw a funeral procession driving past.  Later we were at a museum downtown and exited to find that the hearse from the funeral procession was parked in front of the church across the street, and there was crime scene tape blocking the entrance.  We shrugged, went for a walk to Plymouth Rock, and later saw on the news that during the funeral procession, the rapper whose mom had died got shot at by a disgruntled relative and they were chasing the armed perp all over town while we were sightseeing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2017, 09:23:59 AM »
Oh, here's another one:

I have no medical or dental training whatsoever.

But I did once assist a dentist at a wisdom teeth extraction.

Bonus: the patient was my boyfriend at the time.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
Lunch with Oprah.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
Not really that extreme or necessarily difficult (because I did it without trying very hard), but I'm guessing it's still somewhat unlikely others have done this.

I have been red-carded (ejected) from a high school soccer match as a player, a coach, and a spectator (separate occasions). The last one was done while completely unaffected by foreign substances. The ref gave me a yellow-card for coaching from the sidelines in the wrong spot. I was not the coach nor was I coaching. I was, however, yelling things other than go, kick, yay, etc. which may have been perceived as coach-speak. Apparently, he thought I was coaching again later, so he went all red on me.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2017, 10:16:59 AM »
But I did once assist a dentist at a wisdom teeth extraction.

I did that :)

Damn. I figured there would definitely be dental hygienists who had, but not any laypersons.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
Got six French bulldogs in one day.

I'm gonna need the story behind this one.
haha, ok.

Our elderly friends raised French bulldogs. We met them when they were breeding English Bulldogs and I adopted my first bulldog from them in 1994. Anyway, near the end of their lives they had 6 French bulldogs. The dogs were dirty and ill kept as this couple had lost their eyesight and ability to keep up with the work of the dogs, their hoise, their grounds.

Their daughter said "I will come and take care of you and clean this filthy house, but these dogs have to go!" Since DH and I were active in Bulldog rescue, we volunteered to take them and adopt them into other homes. We already had one French bulldog from them. So, we had 7 Frenchies running around the house.

We placed 4 of the dogs n other homes. DH and I kept rhe two eldest, a mother and daughter duo. I thought they wouldnt live much longer at ages 10 and 12. WRONG! The eldest dog of this entire lot  lived to be 16 years old and outlived all of them.

Our elderly Frenchies were bred in the days before the explosion of popularity that is now
French bulldogs. They were both champions and cute little buggers. But they were dumb as rocks, yappy, and bossy.

Wont be doing Frenchies again, at least, not in quantity.

This is awesome. I love Frenchies, but their popularity has skyrocketed in recent years. We stick with rescuing Boston Terriers, which I call "poor man's frenchies." None of them have seemed to mind.

Cor you, I would love to post a photo of the black and white bulldog who was my foster dog last spring. He looks like a Boston on steroids. Black and white is a new "designer color" for bulldogs, ugh.

Anyway, this stupid MMM software wont let me post anything, drat it.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
I *almost* got on the Letterman show during Audience Show and Tell by opening 10 new/wrapped CDs with my bare hands in 30 seconds.  I did the trick successfully in rehearsal but lost out the spot on the show to a guy with an atlatl. 

So that's probably 2 things right there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:44:55 AM by Pizzabrewer »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
I met Ron Jeremy once in Vegas.

I met Ron Jeremy*, if ya know what I mean.

* Not really.

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
I once climbed a small mountain in Fiji barefoot. We then hitchhiked back to town.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
  • Accidentally hacked the back-end database of a major cellular phone provider

The SoL is up so...I intentionally hacked the back-end servers of a defense contractor.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
In a high school soccer game, as a keeper, I scored a goal with a punt.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
1) Driven an electric van to 71 deg northern latitude.

2) taken part in a couple of whale hunts

Slept in a quinzhee of my own making for three nights, during a cold-weather wilderness camping trip.

It basically part of the school curriculum in Norway. Usually only 1-2 nights, but more is not uncommon. It is also a part of the training for drafted soldiers, so more than half the men and an increasingly large part of the female population has been through the winter training.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »

It basically part of the school curriculum in Norway. Usually only 1-2 nights, but more is not uncommon. It is also a part of the training for drafted soldiers, so more than half the men and an increasingly large part of the female population has been through the winter training.

My College students have slept in quinzhees that they made while on winter camping trips for Phys. Ed.  And I know Venturers (oldest youth in Scouting) also often sleep in them for winter camping.  After all, no tent or whatever to carry in.  I've always thought that if I were lost in the winter woods, or doing winter field work in the middle of nowhere, that having an easy-to-build shelter is a good idea.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
I'm Batman.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
I got stabbed once. Twice, actually.

Not much of an accomplishment, but it's pretty rare I suppose.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »

My College students have slept in quinzhees that they made while on winter camping trips for Phys. Ed.  And I know Venturers (oldest youth in Scouting) also often sleep in them for winter camping.  After all, no tent or whatever to carry in.  I've always thought that if I were lost in the winter woods, or doing winter field work in the middle of nowhere, that having an easy-to-build shelter is a good idea.

I feel like learning how to make a quinzhee was one of the most valuable things I've ever learned. I don't live anywhere with real snow anymore - but if I did, I'd totally survive the night!!

Anyway, turns out I'm lame. 90% of Norway and Boyschouts have done what I've done.

I've got nothing.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Ran about 1/2 mile (800m) down the middle (double yellow line) one of the main streets in town.  Barefoot.  Dressed only in shorts.  1AM. Jogged back.
Hazards?  Random piles of horsepoop, but those were mostly in the middle of the lanes, not the middle of the street.  Occasional dead, flat critter.

Lame? Yes.  Mostly posting to follow.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
Ran about 1/2 mile (800m) down the middle (double yellow line) one of the main streets in town.  Barefoot.  Dressed only in shorts.  1AM. Jogged back.
Hazards?  Random piles of horsepoop, but those were mostly in the middle of the lanes, not the middle of the street.  Occasional dead, flat critter.

Were you on Ambien?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »
I (technically) won an Emmy.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
I have had a three-inch diameter post planted in the middle of a field in my honor.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »

Were you on Ambien?

If you mean  Insomnia treatment AMBIEN® (zolpidem tartrate):   
Answer, No.   Just a bored older teenager in the middle of the summer.   Ran out of reading material.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
I flew New England Patriot Cheerleaders from one ship to our ship for a visit.  That was a good day.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »

Insane... Glad you made it out, what a traumatic experience that must have been... Meanwhile, one of my first thoughts for this thread was almost exactly the opposite situation -- I had no idea 9/11 had happened until 9/14. 2001 was the year I started college and I was on a "wilderness orientation" backpacking trip, hundreds of miles from civilization, when the towers were hit. We had no contact with the outside world until we returned to our camp ground on the 14th.

My other biggest thing that qualifies for this thread is that in high school, a band I was in opened a set for BB King. Definitely one of the highlights of my life.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:28:07 PM by Lagom »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
I met Colonel Sanders.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
Struggling to post here because I keep thinking of probably unique things, but then this little niggling voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I should only post things that are legal . . . . like the orca under the kayak story is both unique and legal.

Hmmm.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:03 AM »
I'll have a go...

Hiked Ben Nevis in Scotland in a kilt...as an American tourist.
Had 30 lipomas removed from my body (got about another 30 to go until they're all gone)
Skiied in Switzerland in the inflatable trex costume...more scary than fun

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2017, 03:17:46 AM »
Lunch with Oprah.

WINNERRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I won the talent show of a beauty pageant that I entered ironically.

Requested to be a mermaid by spontaneously singing a reverse version of "Part of Your World" in the ocean and immediately had my request granted when I saw two little girls way further out to sea than they should have been. I swam out and saved them as is the mermaid's duty.

Snorkeled by myself over a coral reef off the coast of Manzanillo, Costa Rica -- there was NO ONE ELSE at the beach or in the water -- and saw a marlin and a hammerhead shark, both bigger than me. Successfully refrained from soiling myself.

Tripped on acid in a cemetery, uh, about 50 times.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
Lunch with Oprah.

This actually reminded me of one I forgot.  I was a member of a 3 person group selected to take Richard Leakey out to dinner after he gave a lecture at our university. I was thinking as I drove to the dinner that he might not want to talk more 'shop', but our group was biologists so that is indeed how the conversation started.  Leakey was obviously soon kind of bored and tuning out, so I asked him to tell us about his vineyard on the edge of the Rift Valley and how he got into wine-making, and BOOM, he lit up with happiness and talked like crazy the rest of the dinner. And invited us to come visit so he could show us around LOL.  Good job, me!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »

Insane... Glad you made it out, what a traumatic experience that must have been... Meanwhile, one of my first thoughts for this thread was almost exactly the opposite situation -- I had no idea 9/11 had happened until 9/14. 2001 was the year I started college and I was on a "wilderness orientation" backpacking trip, hundreds of miles from civilization, when the towers were hit. We had no contact with the outside world until we returned to our camp ground on the 14th.

The Challenger explosion happened when I was learning skiing at the only ski slope in India (Gulmarg, Kashmir) at that time (1986). No TV. We just were out on the slopes all day.

Learning skiing in Gulmarg must be one of the things that very few people have done. Very close to the border with Pakistan. On one side of the mountain is India (where Gulmarg is ) and on the other side was Pakistan.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
If we are going down the "close encounters with celebrity" wormhole -

I once played bridge with a man who played bridge with Omar Sharif.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
If we are going down the "close encounters with celebrity" wormhole -

I once played bridge with a man who played bridge with Omar Sharif.
Wormhole - 2 degrees of connection with The Beatles.  But since the theory is that we all have 6 degrees of connection with everyone, is it really worthwhile?

So far no one else has said they voluntarily encouraged blood-feeding insects to feed on them, in this I am unique here.  I can think of more fun things I would like to be unique for, but we take what we can get.  ;-)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Mostly posting to follow but maybe this one will work?

Failed the vision test at the DMV.

I'm nearly blind in one eye (untreated lazy eye so now it's permanent), but never had a problem in another state passing the vision test. For some reason this state requires me to take a form to the eye doctor despite my better eye being fine when wearing contacts.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »
The bummer was that after that, no date I could take her on could top that one......but I can forever say that I stayed in the Plaza Hotel Penthouse for free!!

Not nearly as good a story, but I got kicked out of the Plaza Hotel by the US Secret Service. Was there on a class trip and I think maybe Hillary Clinton was at the hotel for a speaking engagement or something (while Bill was still Prez). We wandered somewhere we weren't supposed to and were instructed VERY strongly to leave the property.

Uh... I was arrested and detained overnight for aggravated domestic assault. I don't talk about it much, but it was a very bad reaction to antidepressants and nobody was hurt. Charges were dropped, and I don't touch mood-altering drugs anymore.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
Hitchhiked from Pretoria, South Africa to Livingston, Zambia, to Maun, Botswana, to Sossusvlei, Namibia (that was a tough one), to Cape Town, South Africa. By myself most of the way. About 4000 miles total.

Damn, my ass is Kenyan and even I can't do that. That's just bad ass!

I suspect some people have done this one, but I skydived a month ago. It was actually kind of anti climactic...

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Tripped on acid in a cemetery, uh, about 50 times.

Why would a cemetery have acid just laying around?

:)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
Struggling to post here because I keep thinking of probably unique things, but then this little niggling voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I should only post things that are legal . . . . like the orca under the kayak story is both unique and legal.

Well, this is a bit tricky....technically, one is supposed to maintain around 100m of distance between a boat and a pod of orca's. And in that instance I was indeed attempting to maintain this buffer...but clearly, the male orca was intent on breaking away from the family group and doing a fly-by (or fly-under). Later, upon reflection it sure seemed it was just trying to mess with me.

While I am here again, and speaking of orca's (they feature heavily in my FIRE'd life)...a few years ago I was wandering the shore of my little island and was witness to what can only be described as...well...an orca-orgy. Not 30 feet from me. Here is a still image I took from a video I captured from the mayhem. I have blurred out certain excited-orca anatomical features which might cause offense. It was good reminder that although they possess a fish-like form - they are definitely HOT-BLOODED.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

Well, this is a bit tricky....technically, one is supposed to maintain around 100m of distance between a boat and a pod of orca's. And in that instance I was indeed attempting to maintain this buffer...but clearly, the male orca was intent on breaking away from the family group and doing a fly-by (or fly-under). Later, upon reflection it sure seemed it was just trying to mess with me.

While I am here again, and speaking of orca's (they feature heavily in my FIRE'd life)...a few years ago I was wandering the shore of my little island and was witness to what can only be described as...well...an orca-orgy. Not 30 feet from me. Here is a still image I took from a video I captured from the mayhem. I have blurred out certain excited-orca anatomical features which might cause offense. It was good reminder that although they possess a fish-like form - they are definitely HOT-BLOODED.

OMG the level of envy I am feeling right now is unreal!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »

It's OK man, there are pills for that now.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »

:Highfive:   I'm a woman, but that is a good one!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about this...

My boyfriend (who is 6' tall) and I slept in the trunk of my car which is a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse, a small 2-door sports hatchback. In a parking lot.

I know many of you have slept in cars, but I'd be impressed if you did it with two people in a 2-door sports hatchback (and not in the front seats, doesn't count!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:56:17 PM by marielle »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

• Had my jaw dislocated by somebody's buttock

Must have been a real hard ass.... (my apologies to anyone who beat me to this joke, I'm sure I'll read it on the next page...)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »

No pill exists that would address the envy that might arise from the activities I was witness to - in particular certain aspects of SCALE. :0

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
Just a couple off the top of my head:
- Won a National Junior Putt Putt tournament and received a $1500 college scholarship for doing so. I was only 12 at the time.
- Crowd surfed at a U2 cover band concert in Doboj, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »

• Had my jaw dislocated by somebody's buttock

Must have been a real hard ass.... (my apologies to anyone who beat me to this joke, I'm sure I'll read it on the next page...)

Indeed. It was one of his cheekier moments.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about this...

My boyfriend (who is 6' tall) and I slept in the trunk of my car which is a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse, a small 2-door sports hatchback. In a parking lot.

I know many of you have slept in cars, but I'd be impressed if you did it with two people in a 2-door sports hatchback (and not in the front seats, doesn't count!)

Did it. In a 1990s Acura Integra with my 6'3" then-boyfriend on the side of the road between Phoenix and Vegas, after we found out his sister-in-law, whom we were going to visit, didn't want us to take my dog. Oh yeah, there was a Chihuahua sleeping in the car with us, too. A not-quite-potty-trained Chihuahua puppy who peed in the car by our feet. And somehow this all seems like a *good* memory now!

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
I worked at a place where on of my primary duties was to daily move millions of moths into a small room, heat the room up until they died, and then shovel their corpses into an incinerator.

I used to wade in rivers and lakes and shock fish with car batteries for a living.   (aka USGS fish population/health surveys).   

When bob dole was running for president, his VP choice (Kemp) mistook me for a high end call girl and invited me back to his hotel after a debate.  (i didn't go. I'm not a republican)

a hummingbird landed on my hand one day when i was walking to work.  I swore i was a lost disney princess for about a week.