Author Topic: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.  (Read 95760 times)

clarkai

• Stubble
Re: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »
I have performed partner acrobatics for pay. I have also been part of a duo act of static trapeze + partner acro, non-paid but to benefit the studio at which I train.

I have also been a midwife to cows and goats.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:30 AM »
I have not only midwifed a cow, I had the calf named after me.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25:16 AM »
I lived in a dead end neighborhood, I got stopped by an officer blocking the entrance road, I proved I lived there, he let me through and I found a helicopter crashed on the street in front of my house.

<snip>

Went to Alice Cooper concert "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Wow @ the helicopter! What a randorm weird thing to happen.

And I'm totally jealous about Alice Cooper (that said, I was a very young child in 1975 so I wouldn't have appreciated it much at the time ;)). I saw him in concert last year. Totally worth it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Mostly posting to follow but maybe this one will work?

Failed the vision test at the DMV.

I'm nearly blind in one eye (untreated lazy eye so now it's permanent), but never had a problem in another state passing the vision test. For some reason this state requires me to take a form to the eye doctor despite my better eye being fine when wearing contacts.

I have a treated lazy eye and once during the vision test, they said read the letters, I said there's nothing there, they assured me there was. I closed my good eye and there it was, I read it and passed the test.

I've done that as well, except I didn't think to close the other eye and I just read off the letters again...most of which I could see just fine. The test guy was like 'huh. Sometimes people aren't lined up right with the machine, it's fine.'

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: January 16, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
I went iceberg hopping in Lake Michigan.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2018, 04:50:54 AM »
Been a spy.   

Definition: Gathering info at the behest of the US Govt in a secret Russian city.
The last Russian map I've seen does not show this city of 50,000 -100,000 people  Zeleznogorsk/Krasnyorsk-26 in the middle of Siberia. The map shows villages of hundreds of people.

So I was a really bad spy who's cover story matched the real story.   I even had to admit that I couldn't even pick a luggage lock.

I became a fan of nuclear steam heated bath towel racks there.

Was tempted to put spy as my occupation on my tax return , but I chickened out.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: January 20, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
I provided first aid at the scene of a domestic terror attack. Also got yelled at someone who didn't know first aid telling me I was doing it wrong (guy had a femur fracture and I was checking for bleeding). That person then passed out and had to give first aid to them also. Later on, that person found a reporter and claimed that they had treated the first person.

Also got to say "come with me if you want to live" to a drunk guy who had been shot in the abdomen and was refusing surgery. Did not do it with Schwarzenegger's accent, which I now regret. It did work, though!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »
Been a spy.   

Definition: Gathering info at the behest of the US Govt in a secret Russian city.
The last Russian map I've seen does not show this city of 50,000 -100,000 people  Zeleznogorsk/Krasnyorsk-26 in the middle of Siberia. The map shows villages of hundreds of people.

So I was a really bad spy who's cover story matched the real story.   I even had to admit that I couldn't even pick a luggage lock.

Awesome. Did the towels glow? Also, do you think you'd get a tax break for hazardous duty?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Here's another. Had Ed Paschke try to convince me to steal an object from an art installation of everything in Elvis's bathroom when he died. Also Dan Clowes modeled, at least in part, the blonde girl in Ghost World on my twin sister.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: January 21, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »
Been a spy.   

Awesome. Did the towels glow? Also, do you think you'd get a tax break for hazardous duty?

As I was working for a private company, no tax break.   No glow on the towels.

The name of the place were I stayed was a Профилактический санаторий  -- prophylactic sanitarium--- sophomoric giggling, snorting ensued.
Americanish translation-- prophylactic= condom. 

I hope google translate got the Russian right, if not I apologize.  You'll notice a spy who doesn't even know the language.   

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
Great stories! It’s fun/gross/thought provoking to read your adventures. I’m mainly posting to follow as I’m very boring and usually careful.

So my humble contribution is this: I stepped into a rusty nail in the backyard some years ago and quickly phoned the doctor’s office.  As my shoe filled with blood my rationality leaked away; the programmed response on the doctors phone said “press one for emergency” and I asked my boyfriend if this counted as an emergency.
It was interesting to see a someone yelling, almost fainting and facepalming all at once.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: February 02, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
10-15 years ago I got my first speeding ticket as I was looking for the spot of a dog show that I had entered. I was told I was going some obscene speed in a construction zone, but he was only going to write 20 over so I would not have to show up in court. He said 'because I was so far from home.'

It came in the mail, I paid it. 1-2 years later I was shopping for car insurance and every place I called said I had no ticket??? Yes I do, I have the cancelled check. Nope, no ticket.

A few months after that, there was a teeny tiny article in the paper about a certain area whose records for one month were lost when transferred, by computer, to the state capitol.

It was my first ticket, and it got lost!

I got stopped again on the way home from a dog show 5-6 months later. I was told "since I was so close to home" it would just be a warning. At the time I thought wow, with the first ticket so recent?

So, on record, I have never had a speeding ticket! Those are the only 2 times I have ever gotten stopped, but it makes a fun story.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
Also got to say "come with me if you want to live" to a drunk guy who had been shot in the abdomen and was refusing surgery. Did not do it with Schwarzenegger's accent, which I now regret. It did work, though!
This is remarkably badass!

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
I lived in a serial killer’s basement.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »
Kirk Hammett (guitarist from Metallica) asked me where the bathroom was.

Believe it or not you're not the only one here that can claim that.
Small world, I guess.

THAT on the other hand... I'm glad I can't claim to have done.
Care to expand?

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »
Kirk Hammett (guitarist from Metallica) asked me where the bathroom was.

Believe it or not you're not the only one here that can claim that.
Small world, I guess.

THAT on the other hand... I'm glad I can't claim to have done.
Care to expand?

Sure.

I was dating a girl. She wanted to move halfway across the country because she wanted to be closer to her family. I lived in her parents' basement for a bit while I was looking for my own place. I got my own place, but things didn't work out between the girl and me, so I moved back closer to home.

Then years later, I was traveling for work and sitting in a hotel dining room eating breakfast. The news was on and suddenly my ex-GF was on the TV. Her dad was on trial for murdering her mom. There was this media frenzy over it because on the surface they were this perfect family. It made the cover of People magazine, my ex got interviewed by Nancy Grace, and the trial was broadcast on Court TV.

He almost got away with it. During the trial it came out that he'd almost certainly killed a whole bunch of other people too. His brother and a whole bunch of other people around him had all died under suspicious circumstances, usually by drowning -- which was how his wife had died.

He was convicted of the crime and committed suicide in prison.

There’s a Wikipedia article about it, and a lurid true crime book if you feel like spending money.

So overall, it was a shitty situation. Obviously. I dodged a bullet. I’m not in contact with my ex but she certainly didn’t deserve that.

It’s pretty weird about Kirk Hammet though.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »
WOAH.
That is nuts!

As far as Kirk Hammet, didn't mean to take the wind out of your sails on that one.
He was at my work once and I had to point out the bathroom to him.
A bizarre coincidence.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
Haha, no worries re: Hammett. It is a weird coincidence though.

He asked me about the bathroom at the Borders Books in Monterey CA. I guess even rock stars needed reading material in the pre-Kindle days.

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
I used to sell a lot of books on half.com. They just recently closed shop, so I decided to go through my huge inventory and donate most of them. One book, "The Wild Oats Project" was one I decided to read before getting rid of it. It's a memoir about this mid forties married woman who wasn't satisfied with how her married life was playing out. So, she decides to spend a year bedding people she met from a classified ad she ran.  Her husband wasn't really on board, but felt he had to let her get it out of her system. ANYWAY, the book goes into great detail about who she meets, what they do together, all the sex, more sex, sex, sex, sex. One man, sort of stood out from the rest of the pack, to her AND to me, the reader. The description of him was totally spot on to someone I had dated several years earlier.  What he looked like, age, height, profession, hobbies, philosophical leanings, everything!!!!! Well, his name was changed, but that's it. So, I google the author's name and his real name and BAM! it's him!! I just spent the last couple of hours reading in super eye rolling, cringey, heebie jeebie detail about an exes current sex life, in a published book. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:35:56 PM by a-scho »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2018, 01:28:25 AM »

I read the Wikipedia article, as a detective story enthusiast. Very interesting balance between an extremely cunning idea and a massively suspicious execution. I mean, the drugs and the "accidental" drowning are sort of clever, but you can't just vanish for two hours on the day of your wife's death when everyone (apparently including her!) knows that you want her gone. Concept good, massively failed to pay attention to details.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »

I read the Wikipedia article, as a detective story enthusiast. Very interesting balance between an extremely cunning idea and a massively suspicious execution. I mean, the drugs and the "accidental" drowning are sort of clever, but you can't just vanish for two hours on the day of your wife's death when everyone (apparently including her!) knows that you want her gone. Concept good, massively failed to pay attention to details.

This is armchair psychology, but I think it kind of fits with the general profile of the guy: thought he was smarter than everyone else, and had gotten away with so much fraud over the course of his life, that he got sloppy.

One of the more unsettling things (other than, you know, the multiple murders) was how hard he was to read. I never knew if he liked me or not — he’d give constantly mixed signals. And the negative side wasn’t so much dislike as it was aloofness or apathy. In retrospect I think this was a control mechanism: constantly keeping people on edge and uncertain. I don’t know whether it was deliberate or not.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »

Skimming through this thread and this is the closed to my "thing". I grew up on a small dairy farm and assisted with many calf births, artificial insemination, dehornings, castrations and other veterinary activities. Started assisting when around 6 years old by cleaning/carrying tools and then got more involved as I got older. Partially due to necessity since the nearest vet was 30+ min drive away, and my dad always felt the savings were worth it DIY style. 

Most memorable was helping my dad do an episiotomy on a heifer using a pocket knife when I was around 10. Had to help sharpen the knife, and then go get my fishing line and a needle to sew things up. The heifer was around for many years after that with no issues.

Another time we had a young pig that had a hernia issue after it was castrated. Sewed up with fishing line and it lived healthy for the remaining months until butchering. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
Been a spy.   

The name of the place were I stayed was a Профилактический санаторий  -- prophylactic sanitarium--- sophomoric giggling, snorting ensued.

I hope google translate got the Russian right, if not I apologize.  You'll notice a spy who doesn't even know the language.

Did you get a flag or at least a decal with the town emblem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheleznogorsk,_Krasnoyarsk_Krai#/media/File:Flag_of_Zheleznogorsk.svg

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: February 05, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »
Diagnosed with emphysema at 23, turns out 1/4 of your left lung can remain undeveloped after birth. In 2016 my lung collapsed twice, once in July and the other in October. Intubation is brutal.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: February 05, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
My company sent me to Switzerland because no one else wanted to go. It was a training session for a few days and when I came back to USA I never used the training! The round trip tickets cost something like $6,000 and they were first class! LOL!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: February 05, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
Been a spy.   

Did you get a flag or at least a decal with the town emblem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheleznogorsk,_Krasnoyarsk_Krai#/media/File:Flag_of_Zheleznogorsk.svg
Nope.  The place is very not set up for tourists, you have to have a written invitation and special visa to get there.   Even Russians can't get in without specific reasons.   I think I bought some toothpaste, Colgate, if I remember correctly.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: February 05, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »

Skimming through this thread and this is the closed to my "thing". I grew up on a small dairy farm and assisted with many calf births, artificial insemination, dehornings, castrations and other veterinary activities. Started assisting when around 6 years old by cleaning/carrying tools and then got more involved as I got older. Partially due to necessity since the nearest vet was 30+ min drive away, and my dad always felt the savings were worth it DIY style. 

Most memorable was helping my dad do an episiotomy on a heifer using a pocket knife when I was around 10. Had to help sharpen the knife, and then go get my fishing line and a needle to sew things up. The heifer was around for many years after that with no issues.

Another time we had a young pig that had a hernia issue after it was castrated. Sewed up with fishing line and it lived healthy for the remaining months until butchering.

How do you make sure the fishing line does not end up in human food? 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

I'm pretty they don't just throw a whole animal into the burger grinder.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »

One time I got chewed out late at night via e-mail by a top executive at one of the three largest private equity funds in the world because he didn't want to spend $5k on a due diligence requirement that was necessary to approve one of his personal investments in the fund.

I suppose that's the sort of attitude that helps you get from $100 million to $1 billion.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »

I'm pretty they don't just throw a whole animal into the burger grinder.

Clearly.  The auger has to remove the dog chew toys first :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhoHwQ0cwIQ

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »

[/quote]

I thought prophylactic meant "course of action to prevent disease". Condoms are one kind, but so are sanitariums that offer saunas, spas, healthy food, peaceful surroundings, etc.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: February 05, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »

- markbike528cbx]

I thought prophylactic meant "course of action to prevent disease". Condoms are one kind, but so are sanitariums that offer saunas, spas, healthy food, peaceful surroundings, etc.

For me, sanitarium is associated with or a euphemism for insane asylum.
I have heard of sanitariums for tuberculosis treatment early in the 20th century.  Large scale active tuberculosis is not common in the US anymore as far as I know.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #432 on: February 06, 2018, 05:00:53 AM »

- markbike528cbx]

For me, sanitarium is associated with or a euphemism for insane asylum.
I have heard of sanitariums for tuberculosis treatment early in the 20th century.  Large scale active tuberculosis is not common in the US anymore as far as I know.

My understanding from Polish relatives are that sanitariums are for R&R, usually after an illness.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #433 on: February 06, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »

My understanding from Polish relatives are that sanitariums are for R&R, usually after an illness.
They are actually a sane and humane way of enabling people who don't need to be in hospital but aren't ready for home to recuperate and rehabilitate.  We could do with some NHS ones here in the UK.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: February 06, 2018, 07:05:06 AM »

It was a nice place, great food.  I understood some parts were still used for R&R, some parts as a day spa.  It was the only place in a town of 100,000 people that Westerners would recognize as a hotel.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #435 on: February 07, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
*Survived a 5-hour hostage situation, even though the guy next to me unfortunately did not.
*Was mentioned by Dave Letterman on his eponymous show (related to the above)
*Won a Fulbright fellowship to Belgium
*Met and spoke for a few minutes with the King of Belgium (related to the above)
*Wandered around in a cow pasture before dawn trying to see/hear an American Woodcock.
*Got to know a Turing Award winner (The Turing Award is something like the Nobel prize for Computer Science).
*Got elected to represent Howard Dean at the 2004 Iowa State Democratic Convention
*Cooked an entire Ethiopian meal (including Injira) from scnratch using authentic ingredients
*Accidentally overstayed tourist Visa in Russia (<== ooops)
*Proposed to my future husband 17 days after our first date.
*Found a male Bluethroat while trying to go to the bathroom in a marsh
*Sang an hour-long solo vocal recital at Juilliard.

Sorry, more than one ...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:36:19 PM by Melisande »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
*Survived a 5-hour hostage situation, even though the guy next to me unfortunately did not.
*Met and spoke for a few minutes with the King of Belgium (related to the above)
*Wandered around in a cow pasture before dawn trying to see/hear an American Woodcock.
*Got to know a Turing Award winner (The Turing Award is something like the Nobel prize for Computer Science).
*Got elected to represent Howard Dean at the 2004 Iowa State Democratic Convention
*Cooked an entire Ethiopian meal (including Injira) from scnratch using authentic ingredients

Sorry, more than one ...

I suspect lots of wildlife-oriented types have done variants on your two bird ones.  I certainly have (e.g., unexpectedly found a snipe while wandering at dawn in tropical donkey pasture/fruit orchard, almost stepped on gila monster while distracted looking for gray hawk nests, slogged through cow pasture to see my first platypus, etc list of hundreds of incidents).

However, the other stuff on your list is seriously awesome and surprising.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »

Sorry, more than one ...

I suspect lots of wildlife-oriented types have done variants on your two bird ones.  I certainly have (e.g., unexpectedly found a snipe while wandering at dawn in tropical donkey pasture/fruit orchard, almost stepped on gila monster while distracted looking for gray hawk nests, slogged through cow pasture to see my first platypus, etc list of hundreds of incidents).

Still kind of crazy though for the non-birders/wildlife enthusiasts out there. I know, I’ve gotten some weird looks when we’ve shared some stories.

Thanks!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »

Sorry, more than one ...

Still kind of crazy though for the non-birders/wildlife enthusiasts out there. I know, I’ve gotten some weird looks when we’ve shared some stories.

Thanks!

The herpers are usually the craziest LOL.  They sometimes even surprise me.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »

Sorry, more than one ...

Thanks!

The herpers are usually the craziest LOL.  They sometimes even surprise me.

Lol the shit I have done herping is pretty shameful..  And hunting lepidoptera...I've found myself staring down the barrel of a shotgun no joke.   It ain't legal though, so we leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:53:06 PM by big_owl »

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #440 on: February 08, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »
-Lived in an offgrid cabin for two years with no running water or electricity.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
Met Joey Ramone and had a conversation with him backstage, in 1984

Dropped out of an MFA in creative writing program. Twice.

Got published in "Art Journaling" magazine.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

Essentially what sol said, but the fishing line stitches were in an exterior area where we were able to remove when healed. The hernia repair was probably not close to how a real vet would have done it.. the pig was also for personal consumption not being sold.

This line of thought reminds me that I have a good friend that worked at a large commercial hog production facility when he was in high school and he had one of the highest AI conception rates. I thought that would be the kind of thing he should have on his resume as a CPA but he never included it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »

Essentially what sol said, but the fishing line stitches were in an exterior area where we were able to remove when healed. The hernia repair was probably not close to how a real vet would have done it.. the pig was also for personal consumption not being sold.

This line of thought reminds me that I have a good friend that worked at a large commercial hog production facility when he was in high school and he had one of the highest AI conception rates. I thought that would be the kind of thing he should have on his resume as a CPA but he never included it.
yes on his resume he should say something like "I have inpregnated x many female pigs"

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »
I had Billy Crystal's brother as a teacher in junior high.

oldmachines

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: April 27, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
I rode a DR650 motorcycle and camped my way from the Mexican to Canadian border on the Continental Divide trail. It profoundly changed my life and inspired me to let go of my consumerism lifestyle and pursue a richer life.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2018, 05:33:17 AM »
I rode a DR650 motorcycle and camped my way from the Mexican to Canadian border on the Continental Divide trail. It profoundly changed my life and inspired me to let go of my consumerism lifestyle and pursue a richer life.

Thats awesome. I am currently traversing Australia on my bike, a DL650.  This is my second trip in 3 weeks.  It changes your perspective on things

oldmachines

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »

Thats awesome. I am currently traversing Australia on my bike, a DL650.  This is my second trip in 3 weeks.  It changes your perspective on things
Good on ya!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »
Brushed by hammerhead shark, but not bitten or rammed

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: May 05, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »
I have square danced