Author Topic: Surfing! Mustachian tips for cost effective stoke  (Read 1198 times)

Surf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Surfing! Mustachian tips for cost effective stoke
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »
Surfing is my passion. 
Humans are surrounded by waves - light, sound, microwave.  Ocean waves are the only ones that move slow enough for us to ride upon.

Any stoked mustachians out there?

Surfing doesn't have to break the bank, even if you live somwhere temperate requiring wetsuits.  Some tips:

Craigslist to the rescue as usual.  If there are waves nearby, there are surfers selling boards.  Your dream board is out there for a small fraction of new.  Similarly, the old board your skills have progressed past is someone else's dream board, and resale value is strong, pass the stoke along.   When just getting started a 7 foot+ board, preferably soft foam, is enough to get started.  Softtops go for $100 or less and fiberglass a bit more. 
Avoid boards with delamination (top layer of glass separating from foam) and be prepared to learn how to repair damage yourself.  A well maintained board will last years/decades.  Phix Doctor makes a zero VOC UV-activated repair kit safe to use indoors and cleans up with soap and water.  There are tutorials online, make sure your board is watertight before taking it out.  no wax and stickers dont work.

If you need wetsuits(temperate climates), Xcel offers high quality products with great longevity.  The MSRP is through the roof, though.  Fortunately, you dont have to pay MSRP.  Deal websites sell old model year wetsuits for 30-70% of new.  Steepandcheap, leftlanesports, backcountry, tactics are all great online retailers. 

I got a 4/3 hooded xcel drylock (retail: $450) on leftlanesports for $185 after coupon.  I wear that suit 2/3rds of the year and it's in its 3rd year going strong.  Check their size chart, go up a size if you are between sizes.  Freshwater rinse hang to dry indoors after each use and your suits will last for years.  Xcel's warranty is top notch they will repair damaged suits if you mail them in.

Surfing is my sanctuary.  It's adventure in nature, meditation, and exercise all wrapped into one.  Smile at others in the water and they will smile back - we're all there to share the stoke.

This shot was a fun session a couple weeks ago at a local break.  Water: 38F, air: 25F.  Board from craigslist in like new condition for 50% off.  Suit 60% off.  Boots and gloves from a mom and pop shop on black friday sale 30% off.   Will use them all for years and meticulously maintain them.
Stoke: off the charts.

Happy to answer any questions about surfing and interested to hear any other tips!

BattlaP

• Stubble
Re: Surfing! Mustachian tips for cost effective stoke
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Seriously considering taking this up to get a better fitness habit going. I'm a block away from a popular surfing beach and picked up a pamphlet for lessons the other day.

Do you think about skin/eye-care much? I've known a few older surfers and to a man their skin is fucked. They are much older, I guess we know more about skin cancer these days, maybe its not so big a deal.

Anyway, my question is, do you think it's possible to have a 'no harm' long term surfing habit, and what do you do for skin and eye care? I've also got pretty sensitive eyes so full wrap-around sunglasses are going to be a must, maybe even ones that heavily polarise the light.

Surf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:39:03 PM »
Seriously considering taking this up to get a better fitness habit going. I'm a block away from a popular surfing beach and picked up a pamphlet for lessons the other day.

Do you think about skin/eye-care much? I've known a few older surfers and to a man their skin is fucked. They are much older, I guess we know more about skin cancer these days, maybe its not so big a deal.

Anyway, my question is, do you think it's possible to have a 'no harm' long term surfing habit, and what do you do for skin and eye care? I've also got pretty sensitive eyes so full wrap-around sunglasses are going to be a must, maybe even ones that heavily polarise the light.

Hey BattlaP!

Just got back from my first week-long vacation in years, apologies for the delay.

Regarding skin care, I wear a mineral-based sunscreen that is extremely water-resistant and rarely if ever get sunburned. I personally prefer Badger Sport as it has been the most water-resistant for me (available on amazon) though there are a number of good brands out there.  The main issue with chemical sunscreens is that they are nearly as toxic to your skin as the UV rays they are trying to protect.  Mineral sunscreens are more akin to the white-nose Zinc of old as it puts a physical barrier between your skin and the sun.  My skin shows no accelerated aging, though this is a temperate climate so winters I'm wrapped in wetsuit and UV exposure is much lower.

For eye care, the best plan is to surf within 3-4 hours after sunrise or before sunset.  Our atmosphere absorbs UV rays and the closer to the horizon the sun is, the more atmosphere light passes through and the more UV rays are filtered out - this is why you can watch the sun rise or set without sunglasses.  In many popular surf locales the waves are best during these periods anyway.  There are brands that make surf hats and sunglasses to be used in the water, these are quite useful for longboards and mellow waves but become impractical in waves with more power, or shorter boards where falling is more common.

As a beginner your sessions will likely start out in the 30min-1hr range as surfing uses a wide array of muscles that are rarely used in everyday life.  As you build strength you can extend sessions, though world champ Mick Fanning says his ideal surf length is 90 minutes which is enough to warm up and get going without overtaxing his body.  90minutes with sunscreen, and shading your eyes with your hand while waiting for waves, should keep you quite safe from overexposure.

Regarding the overall health impacts of surfing, I've found it to be strongly health-positive.  I'm quite fit and have maintained a steady body weight my entire adult life, though I do mind what I eat too.  Unless you are attempting pro-level maneuvers it is very low impact and good interval training.  Paddling between waves is a slow burn and riding the wave is a delightful burst of endorphins and elevated heart rate.  Surfing can easily be a life long sport.

The mental benefits are wonderful.  The peace and quiet in between waves has a meditative effect, with nothing to distract our attention from the beauty that surrounds.  Getting sun exposure increases Vitamin D levels which has benefits for mood as well.

Overall it's just incredibly fun.  If you think it might be something you'd enjoy, give it a go.  If it's not for you, at least you had an adventure!

Surf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
There are serious storms hitting both the West and East coasts of the US right now.  Be careful out there, the ocean is powerful and conditions such as these are not for beginners!