Author Topic: Straws are now evil?  (Read 14618 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Straws are now evil?
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Libertarians typically believe that you should be allowed to do your own thing as long as you're not hurting anyone else.  However, they typically do some sort of doublethink that allows them to forget that pollution hurts everyone else.  Without this doublethink they would all (by necessity) be rabid environmentalists which would conflict with their rabid anti-government stance.

Depending on the branch of libertarianism, the solution is often found in private property rights and not having as widespread "commons" as we do currently.  It's quite possible to hold consistent environmental views as a libertarian.

Libertarianism strikes me about the same way as communism - lovely as a theory, not practical/realistic in real life.

So when does your right to pollute hit someone else's right to not be polluted at? Pollution does not respect geography.  I well remember eastern Canadian provinces and eastern US states working together to put pressure on Midwestern electrical plants (mostly in the US, but some in western provinces) that were producing masses of green house gasses that then were blown east and were acidifying lakes and killing forests.

What do you do about a multi-national company that wants to build a polluting plant upstream/upwind of you?   Are only those directly affected allowed to protest?  And how do you prove who will be affected and who won't be, when you can't show you are affected until you are affected?  At which time it is too late.

There are a lot of commons out there.  What about the oceans?  Boreal forests? Tropical rain forests?    Plus commons, or public land, are nice if for example the public land is a nice beach area, so hotels can't be right on the beach and block access.

I read somewhere (no idea where) that a lot of "commons" or "unoccupied ground" that European explorers found was not actually unoccupied, there were very well-established local rules for who used what resource when.  It just happened to not be in use the day the explorers arrived.

Agreed. I've always been struck that it seems the vast majority of libertarians are middle to upper middle class white guys. My theory is that it's attractive to them as a belief because it's a population for whom "born on third base and thought they hit a triple" thinking comes somewhat naturally. Many of the societal elements that allowed them to thrive and prosper seem somewhat invisible to them. And they are relatively inclined to perpetuate that myopia -- hence the attraction to a philosophy that encourages it -- because "I made it on my own, and I'd be a hell of a lot further along if it wasn't for the GD nanny state interfering" creates a nicer narrative than most of the alternatives.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Funny. Do you feel the same about regulations around air pollution? Regulations around municipal water quality? Water pollution? Dumping into storm drains? Littering laws? What’s uniquely “nanny state” about this?
Libertarians typically believe that you should be allowed to do your own thing as long as you're not hurting anyone else.  However, they typically do some sort of doublethink that allows them to forget that pollution hurts everyone else.  Without this doublethink they would all (by necessity) be rabid environmentalists which would conflict with their rabid anti-government stance.
In my libertarian environmental utopia, government would be entirely funded by taxes levied to precisely balance these external costs imposed by others. Of course this idea has the problem of being impractical to enforce (as so many of our environmental laws already are.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
i'm no eco warrior but there are certain things that just BUG me. All the waste included in getting fast food (and yes include the ketchup packets thrown in there). Plastic straws. Plastic grocery bags. Plastic disposable water bottles. Because they are so unnecessary and entirely avoidable and these things used in a moment, are now in the environment for hundreds or even thousands of years. Any one straw or plastic bag or plastic bottle is no big deal. But multiply it by millions of people, and repeated, every single day. That's what the problem is.   

Average American when hearing the reduce, reuse, recycle slogan, focus on the recycle part, when they should be focusing on the reduce part.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:12:18 PM by partgypsy »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »

In my libertarian environmental utopia, government would be entirely funded by taxes levied to precisely balance these external costs imposed by others. Of course this idea has the problem of being impractical to enforce (as so many of our environmental laws already are.

"Utopia" is the correct word.  Libertarianism is a utopian philosophy in the same way that communism is a utopian philosophy.  Namely, they can only work if everyone believes in the philosophy.  Which of course won't happen. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »

"Utopia" is the correct word.  Libertarianism is a utopian philosophy in the same way that communism is a utopian philosophy.  Namely, they can only work if everyone believes in the philosophy.  Which of course won't happen.

Every time people start talking about libertarian utopias, I can't help but think of Larry Niven's Cloak of Anarchy.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Or those guys living in the woods in New Hampshire...

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
Aluminum straws are now available in local quick marts.  Bought two (one for the Wife).  Now I don't need any straws.  Easy Peasy.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
It seems rather excessive to threaten people with a fine of $250 for selling... a straw. If the government won't even allow you to do something so insignificant, I fear for the future of freedoms to do things which actually matter and are controversial, and arguably have more direct victims. Just for example, it seems bizarre to argue that a $250 fine is an appropriate punishment for selling a straw, however it is a right to use marijuana or potentially harder drugs. If it's a personal lifestyle choice to use drugs (which the whole of Washington state has accepted in the case of marijuana), surely it's also a personal lifestyle choice to use straws.

There is a larger discussion to be had about reducing, or eliminating, the externalities of plastic use. One possibility is taxing plastics at the point of manufacture to the degree necessary to clean up after them, instituting a cap-and-trade type scheme, funding research into plastic recycle through taxes on plastic... I could go on. I think an upstream approach is a good idea because enforcement is far easier (far fewer parties to check up on) and it encourages more creative market solutions.

Thats why eventually we'll be headed for authoritarian Green governments in the future. Because the only way to make humans do something is with inforceable laws with penalties. We're just too fucking lazy as a species combined to do it on our own if nobody's watching.

Does this bother you, or do you think it's a good thing to have an "authoritarian Green government"?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:22:59 PM by GrayGhost »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
Does this bother you, or do you think it's a good thing to have an "authoritarian Green government"?

Not really. It's inevitable once the final parts of the natural Earth are left to fight over. I think it's important that people know where we're headed. It'll be easier to accept if prepared for what's going to happen.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:33 AM »
It seems rather excessive to threaten people with a fine of $250 for selling... a straw. If the government won't even allow you to do something so insignificant, I fear for the future of freedoms to do things which actually matter and are controversial, and arguably have more direct victims. Just for example, it seems bizarre to argue that a $250 fine is an appropriate punishment for selling a straw, however it is a right to use marijuana or potentially harder drugs. If it's a personal lifestyle choice to use drugs (which the whole of Washington state has accepted in the case of marijuana), surely it's also a personal lifestyle choice to use straws.

There is a larger discussion to be had about reducing, or eliminating, the externalities of plastic use. One possibility is taxing plastics at the point of manufacture to the degree necessary to clean up after them, instituting a cap-and-trade type scheme, funding research into plastic recycle through taxes on plastic... I could go on. I think an upstream approach is a good idea because enforcement is far easier (far fewer parties to check up on) and it encourages more creative market solutions.

Thats why eventually we'll be headed for authoritarian Green governments in the future. Because the only way to make humans do something is with inforceable laws with penalties. We're just too fucking lazy as a species combined to do it on our own if nobody's watching.

I agree that a $250 fine seems like an odd way to enforce a ban on plastic straws, but I don't know all the details on why that was the solution that was chosen. What I do know is that the fine is "up to" $250 which doesn't really tell us much and that the fine is for restaurants, not individuals. You've framed the ban as if it is on the sale or use of a single straw, but it's not. It's a ban on restaurants handing out plastic straws so an individual can still use plastic straws at home, restaurants can hand out any form of compostable straw, and exceptions can be made for medical reasons. You won't even need any proof, just say it's for medical reasons and you get a straw.

Then you compare banning straws to the ban on marijuana. First, it's not the same kind of ban as I've explained above. One is a ban on restaurants serving a product made of a specific material that can easily be substituted for another material and the purpose of the ban is to reduce pollution. The other is a blanket ban on growing, possessing, selling, and using a substance on the premise that people don't know what's best for them. It's not like you'll need to smuggle plastic straws into Seattle or buy them from a sketchy guy you know through a friend of a friend, they are not contraband. But the big difference between these bans isn't due to the principle of the situation, it's the reality. If we could effectively ban marijuana it would be a different discussion but I think over the last 30-40 years we've pretty well established that the war on drugs is a losing proposition. The costs realized through over incarceration, the creation of black markets that fund more dangerous crimes, and the lack of openness for those who need but don't seek help with their drug use. Banning straws means restaurants will need to pay a little more for straws and there will be less plastic waste lying around. The societal cost just doesn't compare.

Lastly, I agree that an upstream tax on plastic or specific uses of plastic would be easier to enforce, more effective, and more palatable for the people. However, Seattle can't do that on they're own. Potentially they could tax the use or importation of plastic straws? I don't know if that would be a better solution than a ban or how it would be enforced, but maybe.

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »

I'm confused by this sentence, especially after reading your second paragraph.  You seem to acknowledge that there are externalities to plastic use, do you think there are similar externalities to personal marijuana use?  Or maybe your defining "personal lifestyle choice" differently than I am?

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
Certainly there are externalities to the user of marijuana, alcohol and other drugs. There are the blatant lives lost through DUIs/DWIs, but then there are increased medical costs (which are often socialized, even in the US's current healthcare setup) and then addicts or heavy users are not as economically productive as they might otherwise be, there are immense problems with domestic violence and standard violence, more with alcohol than marijuana certainly, but the point is that there are absolutely externalities to people doing what they will with their own bodies. And I think the societal harm done by alcoholism or drug addiction vastly outweighs the societal harm done by a single plastic straw.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
Certainly there are externalities to the user of marijuana, alcohol and other drugs. There are the blatant lives lost through DUIs/DWIs, but then there are increased medical costs (which are often socialized, even in the US's current healthcare setup) and then addicts or heavy users are not as economically productive as they might otherwise be, there are immense problems with domestic violence and standard violence, more with alcohol than marijuana certainly, but the point is that there are absolutely externalities to people doing what they will with their own bodies. And I think the societal harm done by alcoholism or drug addiction vastly outweighs the societal harm done by a single plastic straw.

But the real question is: does the societal harm done by drugs outweigh the societal harm done by trying to prevent their usage? The experimental prohibition of alcohol in the US suggests no. The failing war on drugs suggests no. The successes of Portugal's decriminalization and the drastic reduction in the number of addicts in that country suggests similar laws may work elsewhere. Not to mention most of the damaging aspects you've cited apply mostly to drugs other than marijuana.

Hopefully without making it seem like a personal attack, I'd also like to point out the discrepancy in your chosen language. By comparing drug and alcohol addiction (not usage) to "a single plastic straw" (not the millions of straws that are used every day) your argument seems rather biased.

I don't want to be redundant on some of the points I made in my last post, but I would be curious if you had opinions on any of them.

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.  I can't say that I agree, but at least I think I understand your thought process a little better now.

To address your actual points... 

I don't think I have heard of any lives being lost to drivers under the influence of marijuana yet, and even if I did I would probably lay the blame for that on the combination of marijuana and driving, not simply personal use of marijuana.  If marijuana use is found to impair driving ability then I'm all for doing whatever we can to prevent that, but I don't think that includes prohibition.  I also think that this is probably already covered for the most part under DUI/DWI laws.

I can kind of see your point on health care cost, although I would need to see evidence that marijuana use actually increases health care costs before agreeing completely.  If I recall correctly, most of the studies that I have seen have indicated that it isn't actually all that bad for you, particularly if your not smoking it.  I believe that some even indicate that there may be health benefits to marijuana use.  Are you aware of any studies that would contradict my current understanding?

I don't see users being less economically productive as being a necessarily bad thing, but maybe I'm missing something here.  Could you explain why you think this is bad for society?

I'm also not aware of much violence being caused by marijuana that can't be traced to prohibition.  Do you know of any studies that show that marijuana increases violent tendencies or anything similar?

I kind of feel like your conflating alcohol and marijuana here.  To be clear, I think alcohol is probably much worse than marijuana.  I honestly think we need to increase restrictions on the use of alcohol and reduce restrictions on the use of marijuana.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
...and the purpose of the ban is to reduce pollution.

Have you been in/around Seattle post-legalization?  One could argue that whole areas of the city smelling of a field full of rotten skunks lit on fire is a form of pollution.  For at least a year after legalization, the city stank of the stuff.  Maybe it's gotten better after everyone got it out of their system, but I no longer live in that shithole.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
...and the purpose of the ban is to reduce pollution.

Have you been in/around Seattle post-legalization?  One could argue that whole areas of the city smelling of a field full of rotten skunks lit on fire is a form of pollution.  For at least a year after legalization, the city stank of the stuff.  Maybe it's gotten better after everyone got it out of their system, but I no longer live in that shithole.

Lol, never been but oddly enough I love the smell. I even liked getting a whiff of skunk driving down the road before I ever knew what marijuana was.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
Lol, never been but oddly enough I love the smell. I even liked getting a whiff of skunk driving down the road before I ever knew what marijuana was.

It got really old, really fast.  Especially when you smell it for 2 miles straight, and then realize that the car a few cars in front of you is the source, and you literally can't see through their windows because it's such a haze on the inside.

I find the stench of various forms of pot far, far worse pollution than a small number of straws that are quite likely outnumbered by needles discarded in the gutters.

Seattle is collecting thousands of discarded needles a month, and that's only the ones they find.  https://komonews.com/news/local/city-of-seattle-collects-thousands-of-syringes-wants-to-educate-public-on-how-to-report  And they hand out plenty of those.

I'm an awful lot more concerned about putting a discarded drug needle through my body than I am about a straw.  Clearly I'm not a Seattle-style "progressive."

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
Do you know why needle exchanges go on?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »

Depending on the branch of libertarianism, the solution is often found in private property rights and not having as widespread "commons" as we do currently.  It's quite possible to hold consistent environmental views as a libertarian.

Libertarianism strikes me about the same way as communism - lovely as a theory, not practical/realistic in real life.

So when does your right to pollute hit someone else's right to not be polluted at? Pollution does not respect geography.  I well remember eastern Canadian provinces and eastern US states working together to put pressure on Midwestern electrical plants (mostly in the US, but some in western provinces) that were producing masses of green house gasses that then were blown east and were acidifying lakes and killing forests.

What do you do about a multi-national company that wants to build a polluting plant upstream/upwind of you?   Are only those directly affected allowed to protest?  And how do you prove who will be affected and who won't be, when you can't show you are affected until you are affected?  At which time it is too late.

What a libertarian might tell you is that you don't have a "right" to pollute. Period. This is something I remember Ron Paul talking about during his presidential campaigns. He suggested a better system would be to allow members of a community affected by pollution to use the courts to bring a class action lawsuit against anyone who pollutes their community, and that there should be legal liability attached to any amount of pollution that can be shown to affect other people negatively. He decried the current situation, as we essentially have government organizations telling companies they do have the right to pollute so long as they keep the quantity under certain limits.

I happen to think that these class action lawsuits are an impractical solution to the problem and would personally prefer strong taxes on carbon (and other pollutants), but the libertarian solution doesn't seem completely unworkable to me.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
Anyone else worried that we've reached a global climate change crisis?

The fact that some states and/or towns have no recycling. I look for the recycling bin, only to be told "we just don't 'do' recycling here".

The current economy doing well, yet so little being invested in renewable energy.

Plastic straws seen as a problem, yet bottled water continues to be a multi billion dollar industry and every street corner trash can is filled to the brim with plastic bottles. Mind you, bottled water is just one stream of single use plastic. Not to mention all the Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks/fast food dining plastics being used. And the plastic bags in grocery stores. Millions every day, most of it going into landfills and some even in the oceans. And yet we just keep using fossil fuels to keep up with the demand.

Holy shit.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »

The fact that some states and/or towns have no recycling. I look for the recycling bin, only to be told "we just don't 'do' recycling here".

The current economy doing well, yet so little being invested in renewable energy.

Plastic straws seen as a problem, yet bottled water continues to be a multi billion dollar industry and every street corner trash can is filled to the brim with plastic bottles. Mind you, bottled water is just one stream of single use plastic. Not to mention all the Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks/fast food dining plastics being used. And the plastic bags in grocery stores. Millions every day, most of it going into landfills and some even in the oceans. And yet we just keep using fossil fuels to keep up with the demand.

Holy shit.

I just wonder if we're going to hit the wall at full speed or if we'll at least pump the brakes a bit first.

I lean towards the latter. I think most people will start to care once we start experiencing severe, visible impacts but by then it will be too late to prevent some level of catastrophe.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2018, 06:59:33 AM »

Holy shit.

I just wonder if we're going to hit the wall at full speed or if we'll at least pump the brakes a bit first.

I lean towards the latter. I think most people will start to care once we start experiencing severe, visible impacts but by then it will be too late to prevent some level of catastrophe.

We haven't hit full speed yet.  The foot is still on the gas.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
I happen to think that these class action lawsuits are an impractical solution to the problem and would personally prefer strong taxes on carbon (and other pollutants), but the libertarian solution doesn't seem completely unworkable to me.
The class action lawsuit solution would depend on how egregious the burden of proof is. Since this would be a civil case, the standard should be a preponderance of evidence. I could easily see well paid corporate lawyers casting doubt on 1) how much pollution there is, 2) how much of the pollution is attributable to their corporation, 3) how much the pollution affects the suing class. The only thing that the I see working for the environment in the class action lawsuit solution to the problem would be the uncertainty of the cost of litigation.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
The class action lawsuit solution would depend on how egregious the burden of proof is. Since this would be a civil case, the standard should be a preponderance of evidence. I could easily see well paid corporate lawyers casting doubt on 1) how much pollution there is, 2) how much of the pollution is attributable to their corporation, 3) how much the pollution affects the suing class. The only thing that the I see working for the environment in the class action lawsuit solution to the problem would be the uncertainty of the cost of litigation.

The class action suit idea might work against large scale corporate polluters.  It's totally useless against small things like the straws that we were originally talking about in this thread.

Example:
You've got a city of 5 million people.  They each use 200 mL of pesticide on their lawns in a year.  The pesticide washes from the lawns into the drainage system and then goes into the city water system.  This results in the deaths of x% of people who are over 50 or under 10.
 Collectively it's a pretty big problem.  Individually though, it's not worth suing anyone . . . because although you can prove pollution, the amount of pollution taken in isolation is so low that it wouldn't cause harm.

Not to sound too hippy here, but we are all connected.  Solutions that attempt to look for an individual fix for a collective problem will always fail.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »

Holy shit.

Yeah, I wish we could just add a tax on oil, oil products, plastics, etc. to reflect the negative externalities. Having policies about individual products like straws is silly.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »

Holy shit.

The data is pretty much much already there. We already know that 90% of Florida will be under water within the next 100 years, plus other significant U.S. cities fully under water. Considering this, you'd think we'd be pumping the breaks. Seems to be full speed ahead.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »

Holy shit.

Yeah, I wish we could just add a tax on oil, oil products, plastics, etc. to reflect the negative externalities. Having policies about individual products like straws is silly.

Those corporations just lobby to keep the government out of their pockets anyways. It could be that we're better off with widespread education about sustainable practices. Most Americans don't think twice about tossing a plastic bottle into the trash can. That's all you see, garbages packed with recyclates. And 5 cents isn't too much incentive to bring recyclates to the local grocery store every couple of weeks.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
Do you know why needle exchanges go on?

Yes.  And that particular complaint about Seattle had very little to do with the exchanges, and quite a bit to do with the fact that you basically need kevlar soled boots to safely walk a lot of places if you don't want a needle with God knows what in it going through your foot.  They're not exactly friendly things to have laying all over the city.

Worried?  Nah.  Fairly certain that we're deep into it and the results are going to be interesting in the Chinese curse variety?  Yup.

If you have to truck stuff a couple hundred miles to get it recycled, is this really a net gain?  In the "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" list, recycle is last for a reason.  We should be working towards not needing recycling, because we don't produce that much waste to start with.  I'm trying to get better at buying beer in growlers instead of cans, for that reason.  No cans to recycle, no cardboard to deal with (the single layer chipboard stuff with glossy printing is far less useful to me around the property than corrugated, so a lot of it ends up in the trash trailer).  I get a good insight into our trash, simply because I deal with it twice.  Once into the trailer, once to the dump when I haul it every 4-6 months.  I'm aiming for 6 months, with a long term goal of getting up to a year between runs.

"Send it to the coasts to ship it to China" wasn't really any guarantee that stuff wasn't just getting burned for fuel, so now that the Chinese aren't accepting containers of trash, it's more obvious.

Hah, no.  When all a civilization knows how to do is stomp the gas pedal, and they treat all problems as a reason to stomp it harder, the only thing that's going to happen is stomping that pedal.  Haven't you heard all the talk about how we have to grow our way out of problems caused by growth?  We can technology our way out of problems fundamentally caused by our technology.  Etc.  We're going to keep going until we hit the wall, and then it's going to get very, very ugly.  Especially for the coastal cities.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »
But the real question is: does the societal harm done by drugs outweigh the societal harm done by trying to prevent their usage? The experimental prohibition of alcohol in the US suggests no. The failing war on drugs suggests no. The successes of Portugal's decriminalization and the drastic reduction in the number of addicts in that country suggests similar laws may work elsewhere. Not to mention most of the damaging aspects you've cited apply mostly to drugs other than marijuana.

Hopefully without making it seem like a personal attack, I'd also like to point out the discrepancy in your chosen language. By comparing drug and alcohol addiction (not usage) to "a single plastic straw" (not the millions of straws that are used every day) your argument seems rather biased.

I don't want to be redundant on some of the points I made in my last post, but I would be curious if you had opinions on any of them.

The reasons for legalizing marijuana that one typically encounters aren't pragmatic reasons, they're usually a more philosophical point that "the government has no right to tell you what you can and can't do with your own body". I'm very sympathetic to that argument and it applies just as well to alcohol as it does to marijuana and other sorts of drugs and counter arguments discussing addiction and similar don't really address it because even addicts have rights, certainly the right to do what they want with their bodies.

We are getting a bit off topic but the point I'm trying to make is that while the point about bodily autonomy is a very strong argument, there are absolutely externalities to "personal" choices, and that the societal harms of alcohol and drugs are rather more immediate and undeniable than the harms of a person using plastic straws. The drug war really does seem like a failure and encroaching tyranny when we hear about people being imprisoned for smoking a single joint they bought on the street in broad daylight, but just imagine the other way around... someone being fined or imprisoned for using a plastic straw. There's already pushback from the political and cultural right... even I have seen the "come and take them" memes.

I do admit the comparison of a single plastic straw to drug addiction is kind of unfair but I'm doing it to illuminate a point. There absolutely are millions of plastic straws used every day and that is a problem, but there are millions of alcohol and drug addicts in the US and as "personal" as their choices are, the ramifications are felt by many of us in the forms of socialized medical treatment costs, domestic violence, DUI deaths, etc.

I don't think I have heard of any lives being lost to drivers under the influence of marijuana yet, and even if I did I would probably lay the blame for that on the combination of marijuana and driving, not simply personal use of marijuana.  If marijuana use is found to impair driving ability then I'm all for doing whatever we can to prevent that, but I don't think that includes prohibition.  I also think that this is probably already covered for the most part under DUI/DWI laws.

I mean yeah, people aren't going to get killed if no one ever uses marijuana and gets behind the wheel of a car, but the fact is that if you have enough personal users of marijuana, there are going to be DUI incidents (unless personal use is done in highly controlled environments, which is not the case).

Why not prohibit something if the social costs are higher than the benefits?

I can kind of see your point on health care cost, although I would need to see evidence that marijuana use actually increases health care costs before agreeing completely.  If I recall correctly, most of the studies that I have seen have indicated that it isn't actually all that bad for you, particularly if your not smoking it.  I believe that some even indicate that there may be health benefits to marijuana use.  Are you aware of any studies that would contradict my current understanding?

There are absolutely health risks to using marijuana, although research on the matter is limited due to its scheduling. And I think controlled, medical use of marijuana is a rather different thing than no holds barred recreational legalization.

I don't see users being less economically productive as being a necessarily bad thing, but maybe I'm missing something here.  Could you explain why you think this is bad for society?

I'm also not aware of much violence being caused by marijuana that can't be traced to prohibition.  Do you know of any studies that show that marijuana increases violent tendencies or anything similar?

I kind of feel like your conflating alcohol and marijuana here.  To be clear, I think alcohol is probably much worse than marijuana.  I honestly think we need to increase restrictions on the use of alcohol and reduce restrictions on the use of marijuana.

I think we're getting lost in the weeds here. The point I'm trying to make is that Washington state has accepted that the government has no right to police what people do or don't put into their bodies, as far as marijuana is concerned. In other words, in defiance of the federal government, they have accepted that people have rights and their freedoms ought to be respect, because in a free state, you can live and potentially die by your own will. I say good on them, however, the argument works equally well for other drugs, and if Washington state is to be consistent about its respect of freedom, it seems absurd to abandon the policing of marijuana use (for which there absolutely are externalities) and start to police straw use.

Let's focus on this particular quote:
"If the government won't even allow you to do something so insignificant (using a straw), I fear for the future of freedoms to do things which actually matter and are controversial, and arguably have more direct victims."

There's a dissonance here... the government has no right to tell you not to use marijuana, but it does have a right to tell you not to use straws? Or, put another way, if the government can decide the way you sip a soda, why would it be wrong for the government to decide how you do other things, which have far more significant consequences than using straws?

I think an upstream approach to taxing plastic manufacture is a lot more reasonable because plastic pollutes and it's only fair that polluters clean up the messes they cause.

Not really. It's inevitable once the final parts of the natural Earth are left to fight over. I think it's important that people know where we're headed. It'll be easier to accept if prepared for what's going to happen.

I don't like it when people are ambivalent (or welcoming?) to encroaching authoritarianism. I urge you to reconsider and imagine how you might feel if a right wing fellow was as ambivalent as you seem to be towards an "inevitable" religious totalitarian state.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
I'm not sure what you're seeing is ambivalence.  It looks more like resignation.  In the former the person doesn't care, in the latter he doesn't see a viable alternative based on the available facts.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »
I do admit the comparison of a single plastic straw to drug addiction is kind of unfair but I'm doing it to illuminate a point. There absolutely are millions of plastic straws used every day and that is a problem, but there are millions of alcohol and drug addicts in the US and as "personal" as their choices are, the ramifications are felt by many of us in the forms of socialized medical treatment costs, domestic violence, DUI deaths, etc.

I mean yeah, people aren't going to get killed if no one ever uses marijuana and gets behind the wheel of a car, but the fact is that if you have enough personal users of marijuana, there are going to be DUI incidents (unless personal use is done in highly controlled environments, which is not the case).

That's my conclusion, but I have different view on the costs and benefits.  Namely, the costs of prohibition outweigh the benefits.  First, it costs a lot to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate someone.   And the costs for the perp are high too.  They likely have out-of-pocket defense costs, then they lose their job, and incarceration damages their personal relationships.   Prohibition also creates an underground criminal economy, which is a definite cost to the public.   The kicker is that prohibition doesn't seem to have much effect.   People who want to use it, use it.  And people who don't, don't.     Despite the high costs, we don't really see a lot of benefit to marijuana prohibition.

As an aside, alcohol prohibition in some ways encouraged drinking because people tended to get loaded if alcohol was available instead of just have a drink or two and calling it good.  The New York Health Dept. urged repeal of prohibition because of skyrocketing public intoxication.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »

That's my conclusion, but I have different view on the costs and benefits.  Namely, the costs of prohibition outweigh the benefits.  First, it costs a lot to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate someone.   And the costs for the perp are high too.  They likely have out-of-pocket defense costs, then they lose their job, and incarceration damages their personal relationships.   Prohibition also creates an underground criminal economy, which is a definite cost to the public.   The kicker is that prohibition doesn't seem to have much effect.   People who want to use it, use it.  And people who don't, don't.     Despite the high costs, we don't really see a lot of benefit to marijuana prohibition.

As an aside, alcohol prohibition in some ways encouraged drinking because people tended to get loaded if alcohol was available instead of just have a drink or two and calling it good.  The New York Health Dept. urged repeal of prohibition because of skyrocketing public intoxication.

Yes this is exactly what I was getting at. I never suggested that there was no social cost of drug use, only that those costs were higher with prohibition than without. Of all my positions on major political issues, this is the one of which I feel most confident. To discuss whether or not that is the case, we would need to move this to another thread and look at the data.

I do admit the comparison of a single plastic straw to drug addiction is kind of unfair but I'm doing it to illuminate a point.

There's more to the unfairness of the comparison than just the level of seriousness. It was also mentioned that it's really not a ban as you've framed it. They have not banned owning and using plastic straws, only their use in public businesses and even with simple exceptions. They're not going behind the counter with prescription drugs.

I think an upstream approach to taxing plastic manufacture is a lot more reasonable because plastic pollutes and it's only fair that polluters clean up the messes they cause.

And again, Seattle can't do this on their own. The people voting on these laws have little to no say in how plastic manufacturers are taxed.

There's a dissonance here... the government has no right to tell you not to use marijuana, but it does have a right to tell you not to use straws?

I haven't made this argument, and I realize this was in reply to shenlong, but neither did they. This may be what you hear from hard libertarians or people who just want to smoke weed, but this is not the only argument for legalization.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
My husband I have been declining straws for over a year because of the harm to wildlife. Sure, we're only two people, and our straw consumption was minute in the grand scheme of things, but I don't believe in the "What's the point?" argument. Change starts small.

If everyone banned straws, a good deal of harmful plastic will be removed from the environment. And why not? What good are plastic straws anyway? This is a forum dedicated to reducing consumption. You'll soon find out that you don't really care about straws and they make 0 impact in your life.

If straws are super important to you, you'll pack your own reusable ones. Kids will use sippy cups.

500 million straws used by Americans daily - for nothing. That's a lot of silly plastic. And yes, it's evil. It's evil because you think, "Who cares about this tiny straw?" when you should be thinking "Holy crap - 500 million straws a day???"

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2018, 09:13:33 AM »

I think we're getting lost in the weeds here. The point I'm trying to make is that Washington state has accepted that the government has no right to police what people do or don't put into their bodies, as far as marijuana is concerned. In other words, in defiance of the federal government, they have accepted that people have rights and their freedoms ought to be respect, because in a free state, you can live and potentially die by your own will. I say good on them, however, the argument works equally well for other drugs, and if Washington state is to be consistent about its respect of freedom, it seems absurd to abandon the policing of marijuana use (for which there absolutely are externalities) and start to police straw use.

Let's focus on this particular quote:
"If the government won't even allow you to do something so insignificant (using a straw), I fear for the future of freedoms to do things which actually matter and are controversial, and arguably have more direct victims."

There's a dissonance here... the government has no right to tell you not to use marijuana, but it does have a right to tell you not to use straws? Or, put another way, if the government can decide the way you sip a soda, why would it be wrong for the government to decide how you do other things, which have far more significant consequences than using straws?

Since this is getting way off topic I just want to make a few last points and then I'll leave it alone.  The argument only works equally well for other drugs if you treat all drugs as if they have the same properties, which they don't.  And while you keep saying that you are absolutely certain that there are externalities to marijuana use on the same level as plastic use, you certainly haven't convinced me.  So, your question seems kind of disingenuous since we haven't even agreed that the thing your talking about actually has "far more significant consequences than using straws".

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
The restaurant we went to last night made it a point to mention that they're being environmentally conscious and only serving straws on request.  Personally I think this anti-straw craze is mostly a fad.  I'm all for cutting waste and such, but when a business jumps on the latest thing and points it out to me and at the end of the meal still gives me a Styrofoam box I have a difficult time taking them seriously.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »
What do they do in European cities?  Pictures show old cities with no trash anywhere.  I've not been overseas.  DO they package a lot of fast food stuff or is the culture a bit slower where they savor their food?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
What do they do in European cities?  Pictures show old cities with no trash anywhere.  I've not been overseas.  DO they package a lot of fast food stuff or is the culture a bit slower where they savor their food?
I imagine that the slower food culture is part of it; it's not unusual for a sit down meal to take a couple of hours in Europe. Of course they do have fast food as well, but it is more likely to be situated in the more modern parts of the city. Since the old cities are tourist attractions, I imagine the businesses put in more effort to keep them nice. There also may be more cultural expectation not to litter.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
This new trend is really taking off, I was at a restaurant the other day and I heard someone ask for a straw, and the waitress offered a paper one instead. For the most part, people don't really need straws, and won't even notice if they don't have one. I also hate seeing two straws in a cup. How is that ever necessary?! However, for the people who need them (especially those with disabilities), they should be available upon request, and sometimes paper straws just don't cut it so we need to be cautious about banning them completely.
In general, straw use could be reduced just by removing them as the default option. But the real pollution issue isn't going to be solved by tiny actions like banning straws. The big companies that produce huge amounts of waste need to be held accountable for their vast contribution to global warming and pollution, because even if all people changed their habits tomorrow, it would only have a minuscule effect on the overall situation. There is already an environmental handling fee on all electronics where I live, actions like that help people realize the actual cost of disposal, although the fee probably should be higher. If they were applied on a larger scale, say to all items that are covered in non recyclable packaging, then we'd start to cover the true cost of producing so much unnecessary garbage and maybe we'd find better alternatives. I'm pretty sure if you had to pay 10 cents for a straw like we now have to pay for plastic bags, most people wouldn't take one.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
This new trend is really taking off, I was at a restaurant the other day and I heard someone ask for a straw, and the waitress offered a paper one instead. For the most part, people don't really need straws, and won't even notice if they don't have one. I also hate seeing two straws in a cup. How is that ever necessary?! However, for the people who need them (especially those with disabilities), they should be available upon request, and sometimes paper straws just don't cut it so we need to be cautious about banning them completely.
In general, straw use could be reduced just by removing them as the default option. But the real pollution issue isn't going to be solved by tiny actions like banning straws. The big companies that produce huge amounts of waste need to be held accountable for their vast contribution to global warming and pollution, because even if all people changed their habits tomorrow, it would only have a minuscule effect on the overall situation. There is already an environmental handling fee on all electronics where I live, actions like that help people realize the actual cost of disposal, although the fee probably should be higher. If they were applied on a larger scale, say to all items that are covered in non recyclable packaging, then we'd start to cover the true cost of producing so much unnecessary garbage and maybe we'd find better alternatives. I'm pretty sure if you had to pay 10 cents for a straw like we now have to pay for plastic bags, most people wouldn't take one.
We have a few different sized metal ones we mainly use for smoothies but we always keep one or two in my wife's purse.  If I had a disability that required a straw, it would be nice if the restaurant had them but no way would I want to be dependent upon that.  I would definitely try to cover my own ass first by having one with me.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
We have a few different sized metal ones we mainly use for smoothies but we always keep one or two in my wife's purse.  If I had a disability that required a straw, it would be nice if the restaurant had them but no way would I want to be dependent upon that.  I would definitely try to cover my own ass first by having one with me.
Yeah I think it would be ideal if people who needed them carried their own, but from what I've read sometimes metal straws don't work (too hard, not bendy, difficult to wash) and it's another hassle imposed on someone who probably already faces some difficulty navigating typical situations. It's an accessibility issue, it's not too much trouble to supply a straw to someone who needs it, while still removing the bulk of the straws by not making it a default option.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Yeah I think it would be ideal if people who needed them carried their own, but from what I've read sometimes metal straws don't work (too hard, not bendy, difficult to wash) and it's another hassle imposed on someone who probably already faces some difficulty navigating typical situations. It's an accessibility issue, it's not too much trouble to supply a straw to someone who needs it, while still removing the bulk of the straws by not making it a default option.

Something else to consider is that no one is proposing that straws being illegal by federal law. If someone really needed plastic straws, they could just go on Amazon and buy some to carry with them.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
Haha, were they Yelp reviews by chance?  They're friggin' straws!  If someone doesn't like the big dishwasher-friendly metal ones - then do a 5 second google search for a re-usable, bendable, plastic one that glows in the dark and has the small spoon scoop on the bottom if that floats your boat. 

Warm water works wonders or if you're drinking something as thick as mud, don't let it sit and dry out.  Or use a pipe cleaner/straw brush that costs less than a dollar (and is often sold with re-usable straws).  At this point there are so many options out there that I couldn't take someone seriously who said that there wasn't a product that existed that would meet their straw needs and would have to resort to using the disposable ones provided at a restaurant.  I agree to not have it be a default option but if you need/want one it's just laziness not to already be good to go with your own - be they environmentally friendly or not.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
I'd imagine that for someone who can't drink without a straw, it's not necessarily that easy to wash a reusable straw. Thinking of people with difficulty with coordinating movements or who are paralyzed in particular. I'm not personally disabled so I can't really speak for those who are, but I've read a few articles about how straw bans are impacting people and we should be mindful of the unintended consequences, even if it only affects a relatively small group of people.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »
I'd imagine that for someone who can't drink without a straw, it's not necessarily that easy to wash a reusable straw. Thinking of people with difficulty with coordinating movements or who are paralyzed in particular. I'm not personally disabled so I can't really speak for those who are, but I've read a few articles about how straw bans are impacting people and we should be mindful of the unintended consequences, even if it only affects a relatively small group of people.
Yeah, I think an total straw ban is a bit much but that's not what Seattle has.  They still have recyclable and compostable (including plastic in addition to paper) straws and other utensils.  Even if those options don't work, flexible plastic straws can be offered for medical reasons and are not subject to the ban and the corresponding $250 fine.

A norm is changing so it takes getting used to but if someone is disabled to the point of requiring a straw for liquids it would be prudent to have their own (yes, even single use earmarked for the landfill) on hand just in case the options in a restaurant do not suffice or the supply runs out - much like CPA Cat recommended.  And with regard to Seattle, it's not like this happened overnight.  The provision was passed in 2008 and the exclusion of utensils was allowed to expire because of the viable alternatives.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2018, 07:07:25 AM »
The sad thing about discussions like this is that they tend to go “straws aren’t even that big a deal why are prople freaking” vs. “every little bit helps it’s better than nothing, gotta start someplace, right?”

When truly, the discussion we’re being led to have is just a distraction from the main problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/06/save-earth-disposable-coffee-cup-green?CMP=share_btn_fb

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!