Author Topic: Stay safe out there Gulf Coast Mustachians  (Read 5984 times)

SoundFuture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Stay safe out there Gulf Coast Mustachians
« on: August 25, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
I'm inside the cone of uncertainty but outside of the areas that are going to be hit the worst. As always hide from wind and run from water!  Stay safe out there people!

cj25

• Stubble
Re: Stay safe out there Gulf Coast Mustachians
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
My sister bolted Houston last night and went up to Dallas.  Last year her house flooded and she lost all her furniture and car.  Hoping it doesn't happen again! 

Hope everyone stays safe!

FinallyAwake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Thank you!

I'm not right on the coast (about 40 miles off), but close enough that I'll have lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

I think (hope!) we are as prepared as we can be...... 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Posting to follow here. I'd love for our Gulf Coasters to check in as you can, so we know you're safe! Looks like it's shaping up to be pretty nasty =(

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
Thank you!

I'm not right on the coast (about 40 miles off), but close enough that I'll have lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

Ditto. We must be close to each other. it's going to be hot and miserable when we lose power but I didn't flood in Allison or Ike so fingers crossed that trend holds for this one as well. Stay safe!!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Posting to follow here. I'd love for our Gulf Coasters to check in as you can, so we know you're safe! Looks like it's shaping up to be pretty nasty =(

+1. Anyone in the cone, please check in and let us know you're safe when you can.

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
I got home to Houston from a business trip last night at 8pm. Needless to say I do not feel well prepared. I have beer and wine and a bathtub full of water. Fortunately, my house has never flooded since it was built in 1938. My car... that's another story but I know where I can get a salvaged title car for less than 5K in a couple weeks, if I need to.

FinallyAwake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Thank you!

Ditto. We must be close to each other. it's going to be hot and miserable when we lose power but I didn't flood in Allison or Ike so fingers crossed that trend holds for this one as well. Stay safe!!

This is my first rodeo, so I don't know what to expect.  But my neighbors tell me our area hasn't flooded during previous flooding events, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Mother Nature is truly amazing, isn't she?   http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/templates/loop_directory.asp?data_folder=dev/lindsey/loops/25aug17_band2&image_width=640&image_height=480&loop_speed_ms=40

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
I love following storms and find that Dr. Jeff Masters and Bob Henson's blog is an invaluable resource. According to that post you should expect tons of flooding. :/ Hopefully it won't be as much as predicted. Be safe and stay informed.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
DH and I lived just South of Houston for 14 years.  We survived stalled tropical storm Allison, hurricane Rita for which we tried to evacuate and drove 15 miles in 9 hours, and hurricane Ike that kept us up all night on the couch in the living room with our infant son solid asleep in our arms, while the low pressure and howling winds repeatedly tried to take the roof off.  Around 4:15 that morning I thought that if the roof held until 5:00, all would be well.  I still have friends there.  Stay save, all y'all.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
DH and I lived just South of Houston for 14 years.  We survived stalled tropical storm Allison, hurricane Rita for which we tried to evacuate and drove 15 miles in 9 hours, and hurricane Ike that kept us up all night on the couch in the living room with our infant son solid asleep in our arms, while the low pressure and howling winds repeatedly tried to take the roof off.  Around 4:15 that morning I thought that if the roof held until 5:00, all would be well.  I still have friends there.  Stay save, all y'all.

I just read about the disaster of the Rita evacuation. Somehow, I missed that when it happened. Appalling.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »
Bumping to check in with my neighbors. I've been lucky so far. No water in the house and I haven't lost power. My heart hurts from watching the news. Please stay safe out there.

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
I feel so fortunate that I'm still safe and dry in my home in central Houston. Bordering on survivor guilt when I look at the news and my Facebook feed.

I don't have a lot of food but just have to look at it as an opportunity to get creative with the staples in my pantry.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »
Reporting in safe.  Still even have electric service and internet.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »

I'm crossing my fingers crossed for you, F.V.  How is the city faring?  Is the entire city of Houston under water?

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »

I'm crossing my fingers crossed for you, F.V.  How is the city faring?  Is the entire city of Houston under water?

The entire city is impacted by water. As of this morning, every route into or out of Houston was blocked in some way by water. Several communities are under water and residents are being evacuated largely by private citizens at the request of the city because many of the state resources couldn't get into the city to help out and the city was short on boats. The disaster is widespread because many of the bayous rose over their banks resulting in flooding. The west side got at least 3 tornadoes. And yet there are pockets where it has been completely fine - lots of rain but not intolerable at all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:41:26 PM by GoConfidently »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:04 AM »
The news is almost incomprehensible.  I saw this photo posted elsewhere. 

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
Here is an interesting drone video http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/drone-video-flooding-hurricane-harvey-houston-12044481.php.  This is an area I know well.

The river in the video is actually highway 288, which is about 20 feet below the street level.  What the video does not show is the Brays Bayou channel, about 5-6 feet below the deck level of highway 288.  Highway 288 sometimes floods in this area, about 3 to 5 feet at most, but the street level and the overpass is dry.  I've seen it during Allison and perhaps twice more since.  What is new here that the water has filled the highway 288 channel and is now above the street level.  That's at least 23 feet above the normal bayou flow.  Insane, indeed.

Million2000

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm near San Felipe and Voss, we still have power, everything is ok so far, had some street flooding on Saturday but has since drained off. They are releasing water from some reservoirs upstream of Buffalo Bayou which has me worried. I especially picked our place because it wasn't in a flood plain, unfortunately the map only listed the 500 year flood plain, many are saying this is like a 800 or 1,000 year flood.

I also saw some clown cars plow into some street flooding (3 feet at one time) in front of our apartment. While I can sympathize with some people trying to get out, just about everyone on tv and radio is screaming for people to stay home so of course the first thing they do is get out in their cars and drive around.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
Hope all yall Texans are doing OK!!  Sending thoughts and prayers from Louisiana.

Have family in Houston and Austin...  We've been watching the coverage nearly non-stop.  I cannot believe the amount of water.

SoundFuture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
Yesterday was the closest I got to getting in trouble as the nearest river passed up the 500 year flood mark. My little neighborhood was basically on a little island. My hat's off to CenterPoint Energy for keeping all the lights on and the City of Houston for keeping the water on.  It makes a huge difference on one's sense of normalcy and also makes helping people easier when you still have drinking water and refrigeration.

The river appears to have crested. I am safe. The family is safe. Shelters are easy to find and offer assistance to.

Just a reminder to be careful where you get gas for the next few weeks as submerged gas stations will have a lot of water infiltration in their underground fuel tanks.

FinallyAwake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
Checking in as safe.

Survivor's guilt is real.  And I'm feeling like a putz for all my minimalism / MMM attitudes.

Why did I KonMari all those blankets and towels and extra clothes?  Could have donated those to people who need them, or used them to host an extra family in our house.  Oh wait...I downsized to a small house.....another family would have been tough to squeeze in.

Those stupid rednecks with big trucks?  I don't think they're stupid for having those trucks anymore.  They were safe; my family was vulnerable.  They were able to go rescue people from high water; I had to watch from the sidelines.  (But my retirement account is bigger than theirs!  What good is money when your family is trapped in the house with no way to get more food or fresh water?  The primal feelings start showing themselves, that's for sure.) 

Perhaps I'll adapt a more level headed view in the coming days, but when the storm was at it's worst, I couldn't believe what an idiot I'd been.  I now understand my Grandma and her post-depression era hoarding.....

Let me just reiterate- I am safe.  Harvey will have no lasting affect on my material or financial possessions.  My heart, on the other hand.....

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
Checking in as safe.

Survivor's guilt is real.  And I'm feeling like a putz for all my minimalism / MMM attitudes.

Why did I KonMari all those blankets and towels and extra clothes?  Could have donated those to people who need them, or used them to host an extra family in our house.  Oh wait...I downsized to a small house.....another family would have been tough to squeeze in.

Those stupid rednecks with big trucks?  I don't think they're stupid for having those trucks anymore.  They were safe; my family was vulnerable.  They were able to go rescue people from high water; I had to watch from the sidelines.  (But my retirement account is bigger than theirs!  What good is money when your family is trapped in the house with no way to get more food or fresh water?  The primal feelings start showing themselves, that's for sure.) 

Perhaps I'll adapt a more level headed view in the coming days, but when the storm was at it's worst, I couldn't believe what an idiot I'd been.  I now understand my Grandma and her post-depression era hoarding.....

Let me just reiterate- I am safe.  Harvey will have no lasting affect on my material or financial possessions.  My heart, on the other hand.....

Let me give you an alternate view. I too was spared from the worst and had some serious survivor's guilt yesterday. Today I went and helped a lovely older couple demo their flood damage. They flooded in Allison as well so they knew what needed to be done and there wasn't much difficulty with emotional attachment. But they had so much stuff. Junk. Just in case supplies. It was difficult and heartbreaking to realize that all those wasted dollars spent on planters and blankets and exercise equipment and games and tea (so much tea) and kitchen gadgets and unused things now had to be carted out by hand and piled on the curb. It took five hours for five people to clear out a garage and kitchen.

I walked away thinking my little minimalist home could be minimized some more. Don't feel bad for keeping a simple life. Just what you need is just enough.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
When you KonMari'd, did you throw those things away, or donate them?

Can you use some of that bank account to make donations now?  You wouldn't be in a position to do that if you'd been driving a giant truck instead.  Also, at the risk of veering in to semi-controversial territory, putting yet another gas guzzler on the roads just contributes to future Harveys and other extreme conditions.  So sure, those people may have been able to rescue someone from the storm, but they also contributed more to causing the storm in the first place.

All that said, survivor's guilt is certainly a real thing and not something you can just rationalize your way out of.  So be gentle with yourself for a while, and perhaps find ways to use your past lifestyle choices to help with recovery and rebuilding.  That can include monetary donations, it can include your time (especially if you are FIREd), it can use your physical health and strength if you have that. 

Many hugs to you. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
So glad you and your family are safe, FinallyAwake. These are early days and your feelings are totally normal. Down the line you may want to find a support group for survivors. You've been through a traumatic experience.

SoundFuture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
Checking in as safe.

Stay positive. There's the immediate need, and then there's the need when all the cameras are gone and all of the support money has vanished. The second one represents far more work, has far less glory, is something that takes far more self-control, and is something you can absolutely be apart of. Bodies to do the muddy, nasty, unsanitary work of gutting houses and putting things to right are more important than anything you can buy on the Northeast side of Houston (and I am sure this is the case in a lot of Southeast Texas and Louisiana except where major flooding is still actively occurring). Be one of those bodies in your local community. The cleanup and restoration effort is going to take millions, if not billions, of man-hours.

Also don't forget to vote yes on the next bond reform that goes to flood control!

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
I spent Saturday mucking out my friend's mother's McMansion and never have I felt more secure in not wanting the big house, new car, lots of stuff lifestyle than that. Room after room of corners and closets and cabinets and drawers. All full of ruined stuff. 

SoundFuture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »
My wife spent all day Friday gutting a house that had never flooded before (Alicia, Allison, etc.), the water line was 57" above the floor. We spent yesterday there as well. I have about 15 loads of laundry I'm going to do as apart of my contribution, and spent all of the evening line drying as much as possible to arrest the mold and mildew.

It's a little old lady's house who loves to quilt. I've probably got enough fabric at my place to construct a reasonably large circus tent. Most importantly we found a quilt that she'd just finished putting together and is ready for backing/batting. It's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. There's some bleeding from some of the colors, but it's a masterpiece none the less.  Hopefully we can rehab it to like new condition.