Author Topic: Solar Eclipse 2017  (Read 4887 times)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
Solar Eclipse 2017
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Anyone live near the path of the total solar eclipse that will occur on August 21st this year? Almost everyone will see a partial eclipse, but apparently the total eclipse is worth seeking out.

Here is a handy map, click on it for more details at the exact location:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

I actually happen to work only 30 minutes from totality, but from what I hear about traffic and with SC being close to so many major cities I'm seriously considering taking the day off.

Possibility travel a day or two before and camp, but I'm sure everyone will have the same idea...

The last time the contiguous states saw a total solar eclipse was in 1979! And the last time I personally saw even a partial eclipse was in 1999.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Solar Eclipse 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Great map.

I am travelling to Wyoming from NJ to see the eclipse. This is because the east coast has variable weather and we might get clouds.

Of course, I also get to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton during this trip :-)

The last time I saw a 98% solar eclipse, I was in college. I could have traveled 100 miles for 100%, but the eclipse was right in the middle of my exams so I could not see it.

Edit: Yes, this is expensive, but this is a bucket list item for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:10:25 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Great map.

I am travelling to Wyoming from NJ to see the eclipse. This is because the east coast has variable weather and we might get clouds.

Wow! I'm tempted to as well, I've never been anywhere near Wyoming. But it feels silly when I live so close to totality!

Nothlit

• Bristles

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
I will be in Glendo, WY - driving up for the day from Denver. (PM me if anyone wants to car share - driving from NW Denver through Longmont and Ft Collins, etc.) Best wishes, Ap.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
I'll be at work here in Albany, OR assuming I can get here.  And I probably can.  I'll go out in the parking lot and watch it. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
I'm cancelling a class so we can all see it.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
I live in the path of totality and the whole company is taking the day off. ( All 5 of us). I'm a plumber and getting around to work would be too much of a nightmare so I'll just watch it from home. Or not.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
I live 100 miles from totality.  I'm going to drive to see it, but wish me luck since I'll be dealing with the largest city that is going to get totality.  Traffic can be bad enough on a regular day. 

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

I think 99.69% of the people in the western hemisphere has the same plan. We are traveling from Tucson to either Wyoming or Idaho to see the eclipse, but won't be depressed if we save Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for the next time. Those parks are already crowded enough in normal times, can't imagine what it will be like this year around the eclipse.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
The last time I saw a 98% solar eclipse, I was in college. I could have traveled 100 miles for 100%, but the eclipse was right in the middle of my exams so I could not see it.

Was that worthwhile? I'll be eclipse viewing from Seattle where it will be 94% coverage. Figured if it's underwhelming we'll get another shot in 2024.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
I just discovered last night that my sister's house, just west of Knoxville, TN, is inside the edge of totality.  Not by much (a mile or two?) so I wonder if she will get mere seconds of totality?  I can't seem to find any info other than "less time than the center".

She says if I go and stay with her, we can drive 30 minutes (ha!) for a great view, but I really wonder if that will be possible due to traffic and parking. I really don't know if it's worth the 5-6 hour drive two days in a row (and sleeping on a sofa bed).

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
I just discovered last night that my sister's house, just west of Knoxville, TN, is inside the edge of totality.  Not by much (a mile or two?) so I wonder if she will get mere seconds of totality?  I can't seem to find any info other than "less time than the center".

She says if I go and stay with her, we can drive 30 minutes (ha!) for a great view, but I really wonder if that will be possible due to traffic and parking. I really don't know if it's worth the 5-6 hour drive two days in a row (and sleeping on a sofa bed).
Map here. Hard to say for sure since at the edge, duration is highly sensitive to very small changes in location. Also, the moon is lumpy (craters, etc.) and that is taken into account on the map. Depending on location, you might want to drive at least a few miles towards the center-line to ensure you get 1 or 1.5 minutes rather than several seconds.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
Thanks.  I found the map in the first post (duh) and she'll have 20 seconds at her house, 40 at her school close by, and over 2 1/2 minutes in Sweetwater, TN, which she says is 30 minutes away.  Not on that day it won't be!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »

Map here. Hard to say for sure since at the edge, duration is highly sensitive to very small changes in location. Also, the moon is lumpy (craters, etc.) and that is taken into account on the map. Depending on location, you might want to drive at least a few miles towards the center-line to ensure you get 1 or 1.5 minutes rather than several seconds.

Supposedly the lumpiness of the moon makes for the very edge of totality being another completely different amazing experience from being in the middle of totality.  It sounds like longer totality is much better for people like me that haven't seen one before, but it's something worth considering . 

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
Does anyone plan to get special sunglasses?  Are they necessary?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Necessary?  Only if you want to look!

The only time you can look at the sun w/o special glasses is during the short totality. 

Older, but interesting article here.

BTW, even though we're not in the path, our local home improvement store had tons of (brand name) glasses (which are actually paper) for $2.

copper201

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Hey Everyone -
I am planning a short road trip and I had a few dropouts.  I'm looking for one or two people to join me and a few friends.  We will be taking an RV from Denver to Nebraska tomorrow, August 18th.  We will spend Saturday and Sunday exploring the Black Hills and possibly the Badlands before going back to Nebraska Sunday evening.  We will stage in Alliance for Monday mid-day viewing of TOTALITY!  Once in a lifetime opportunity.  Heading back to Denver Monday night or Tuesday AM, I'm flexible. 

If you are interested, email me at mr.chrisgarcia@gmail.com.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Necessary?  Only if you want to look!

The only time you can look at the sun w/o special glasses is during the short totality. 

Older, but interesting article here.

BTW, even though we're not in the path, our local home improvement store had tons of (brand name) glasses (which are actually paper) for $2.

Everybody in the US is in the path of the partial eclipse.  If you have the glasses you'll get to see the sun as a crescent even if you're a long way from totality. 

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
All the glasses in our area have been sold out for over a week. I was bummed because I delayed and because everyone was saying that welding hoods wouldn't be sufficient and that nobody uses hoods that are dark enough (we own a welding business). Hubby checked the lenses today and they go to 13 shade (which NASA said is uncommon, but actually isn't). So hooray! We get to see the eclipse!