Author Topic: Solar Eclipse 2017  (Read 466 times)

marielle

• Bristles
Solar Eclipse 2017
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Anyone live near the path of the total solar eclipse that will occur on August 21st this year? Almost everyone will see a partial eclipse, but apparently the total eclipse is worth seeking out.

Here is a handy map, click on it for more details at the exact location:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

I actually happen to work only 30 minutes from totality, but from what I hear about traffic and with SC being close to so many major cities I'm seriously considering taking the day off.

Possibility travel a day or two before and camp, but I'm sure everyone will have the same idea...

The last time the contiguous states saw a total solar eclipse was in 1979! And the last time I personally saw even a partial eclipse was in 1999.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Solar Eclipse 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Great map.

I am travelling to Wyoming from NJ to see the eclipse. This is because the east coast has variable weather and we might get clouds.

Of course, I also get to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton during this trip :-)

The last time I saw a 98% solar eclipse, I was in college. I could have traveled 100 miles for 100%, but the eclipse was right in the middle of my exams so I could not see it.

Edit: Yes, this is expensive, but this is a bucket list item for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:10:25 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Great map.

I am travelling to Wyoming from NJ to see the eclipse. This is because the east coast has variable weather and we might get clouds.

Wow! I'm tempted to as well, I've never been anywhere near Wyoming. But it feels silly when I live so close to totality!

Nothlit

• Bristles

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
I will be in Glendo, WY - driving up for the day from Denver. (PM me if anyone wants to car share - driving from NW Denver through Longmont and Ft Collins, etc.) Best wishes, Ap.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
I'll be at work here in Albany, OR assuming I can get here.  And I probably can.  I'll go out in the parking lot and watch it. 

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
I'm cancelling a class so we can all see it.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
I live in the path of totality and the whole company is taking the day off. ( All 5 of us). I'm a plumber and getting around to work would be too much of a nightmare so I'll just watch it from home. Or not.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:22:35 AM »
I live 100 miles from totality.  I'm going to drive to see it, but wish me luck since I'll be dealing with the largest city that is going to get totality.  Traffic can be bad enough on a regular day. 

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:56:14 AM »

I think 99.69% of the people in the western hemisphere has the same plan. We are traveling from Tucson to either Wyoming or Idaho to see the eclipse, but won't be depressed if we save Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for the next time. Those parks are already crowded enough in normal times, can't imagine what it will be like this year around the eclipse.