Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1308829 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #1750 on: May 24, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
Apparently Trump missed the memo on the value of carrying a big stick but speaking softly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/world/asia/read-trumps-letter-to-kim-jong-un.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.

Neglecting the (not) minor historical point that ours have been used (twice). It also seems that because this was an Important Letter, that the WH staff felt compelled to write it using only sentence structures that could have shown up in letters between Jane Austen characters, such as, "I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. " (some would argue that the concrete actions of denuclearization would also matter).

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1751 on: May 24, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
But what about the Nobel?? And the coin?!

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1752 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

That's the first thing I thought of too. So much for that.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1753 on: May 24, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »
I feel the headlines should read:
Trump cancels summit with predictably uncooperative N. Korea
"no one knew dealing with North Korea could be so hard!" - president says.

Now comes the spin.  Those who trumpeted DJT for participating in this summit will now praise him for canceling it.  Already Tom Cotton has said: North Korea has a long history of demanding concessions merely to negotiate. While past administrations of both parties have fallen for this ruse, I commend the president for seeing through Kim Jong Un’s fraud.  Literally a week before he was praising DJT for his 'breakthrough' meeting with the N. Korean leader.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1754 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

Yes, Donny has to have the Nobel.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1755 on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »

It's bright and shiny, so clearly he wants it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1756 on: May 24, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
I wonder how many holes Donny has kicked in the walls of the White House with his daily tantrums?

What do you think caused the sink hole at the White House. Some article I read said it was an escape tunnel for Melania! LOL!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1757 on: May 24, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
I wonder how many holes Donny has kicked in the walls of the White House with his daily tantrums?

What do you think caused the sink hole at the White House. Some article I read said it was an escape tunnel for Melania! LOL!

I'm thinking it was Donald digging for the lizard people late at night.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1758 on: May 24, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »

It's bright and shiny, so clearly he wants it.

Hahaha, he wants it, he needs it but he ain't gunna get it. He canceled the meet up with Kim.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-cancels-summit-kim-jong-un_us_5b06c1d9e4b07c4ea105b0f0

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1760 on: May 24, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
Edit: This quote has been nagging at me a bit:
"I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. "

This is a strange thing to include as it alienates and devalues the strong role that other stakeholders such as China and South Korea (our ally) have. Ugh.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1761 on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
"I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. "

This is a strange thing to include as it alienates and devalues the strong role that other stakeholders such as China and South Korea (our ally) have. Ugh.

Another thing that bugs me about Trump's letter is this: In his opening paragraph Trump writes: "..., I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting"
Then at the end he says :"If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write"

Huh??  Trump's the one canceling the meeting.    Then there is the line: We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant Who informed Trump, why would Trump not have known who requested the meeting and why bring it up if it doesn't matter?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

Another thing that bugs me about Trump's letter is this: In his opening paragraph Trump writes: "..., I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting"
Then at the end he says :"If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write"

Huh??  Trump's the one canceling the meeting.    Then there is the line: We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant Who informed Trump, why would Trump not have known who requested the meeting and why bring it up if it doesn't matter?

Somewhere in the West Wing: "Shit! Did we accidentally send out the rough draft instead of the final?"

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1763 on: May 24, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »

I assumed that was the intent.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1764 on: May 24, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
The result of the meetings Trump demanded in order to reveal FBI information on their informant (Trump's so called "spy in his campaign" and worst scandal is history) is that the Republicans are silent and the Dems are saying "nothing to see here" -

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/389274-dems-after-briefing-no-evidence-spy-placed-in-trump-campaign

So it looks like the end of that Trump lie, just as the Obama wiretap of Trump Tower lie and the FISA warrant "unmasking" lie came to an end. 

He'll be onto something else soon enough.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: May 24, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »
Trolololol

Now RoK and DPRK can make peace without the US interfering or pulling out afterwards. Peace with DPRK, a nice settlement with Iran, a better TPP, a better climate change treaty. Keep it up, Trump! The more you wander randomly back and forth and blather nonsense on twitter, the better for the rest of the world!

TRUMP 2024!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1766 on: May 25, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
Nah, this is just Trump's negotiating style.

The other side makes a concession, Trump backs away to see how much more he can get.

If nothing more comes, then he comes back to the table and tries again.

I have mixed feelings as to whether this is an appropriate way to negotiate.    It's got a strong win-lose smell to it, which does not make for long term relationships.    On the other hand, it's  one way to keep improving your position.

This assumes that Trump can tell if he's improving his position.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1767 on: May 25, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »

It's unfortunate he's never had experience negotiating with anyone bat shit crazy that has nukes.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1768 on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »

It's unfortunate he's never had experience negotiating with anyone bat shit crazy that has nukes.

Well he's really good at settling court cases. Lots and lots of court cases.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1769 on: May 26, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »

So.... our new international policy will be paying other countries off? I guess it's cheaper than a sustained military campaign /sarcasm.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1770 on: May 26, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

So.... our new international policy will be paying other countries off? I guess it's cheaper than a sustained military campaign /sarcasm.

Haha, sure! And it won't cost Trump a dime. Just us taxpayers as usual.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1771 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
There's an article in the NYT today about the new norms for the president of the USA.   I did not realize how I had become used to this stuff.  This is starting to become worrisome - Trump is continually pushing on the limits of what can be accepted and they're moving and not in a good direction.

Are you guys really going to re-elect him in 2020?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/25/opinion/editorials/Donald-Trumps-Guide-To-Presidential-Etiquette.html

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1772 on: May 26, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
Who knows?  The Democratic nominee, for better or worse, will likely affect the outcome.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1773 on: May 27, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »
There's an article in the NYT today about the new norms for the president of the USA.   I did not realize how I had become used to this stuff.  This is starting to become worrisome - Trump is continually pushing on the limits of what can be accepted and they're moving and not in a good direction.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/25/opinion/editorials/Donald-Trumps-Guide-To-Presidential-Etiquette.html

I didn't vote for him in the first place and I would never vote for him in the next election.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1774 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:54 AM »

Roughly 80% of people won't break with their party regardless.  In the US approximately 40% are self-affiliated Dems, 40% Republicans, and 20% independent/other (I'm grouping the 'lean' people into the I group, because they can be swayed either way).  Support has as much to do with 'fear-of-what-the-other-side-will-do' as it does actually believing that your guy/gal is the best option.
That means DJT ~32% will back DJT by default and about as many will back whomever the Dems ultiamtely nominate.

What's left is who the I's support, and (perhaps even more importantly) who shows up to vote (the "enthusiasm gap"). Because votes are partitioned by the states, and 48 of those are 'winner-take-all', and only 12 or so will be  competitive (the so-called 'battleground states') each side needs only to convince 5 or 6 states to vote for him/her.  As little as 20% of the total population are in those key states, and remember you only need to attract a bit more than half of the 1/3 of votes that are even up for grabs, and almost half of eligible voters stay home anyway.  It works out to something like 8 million votes that each party considers up for grabs in a country of 330 million.
It's also why two presidents in the 21st century have been elected after losing the popular vote, and several have been elected without ever coming close to the 50% mark. It's also why DJT can brag about being able to shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose any voters.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1775 on: May 29, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
It's almost Nationally embarrassing to see our President try to spin off yet another Conspiracy Theory.

I just want to yell, 'enough with the entertainment and distraction'.  This is seriously not reality TV.  Like all of those moviegoers that shunned the latest Star Wars offering, enough is more than enough!  It's neither entertaining nor impressive.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1776 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
MAGA!
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/389882-study-auto-tariffs-would-kill-157000-jobs

So.... imposing tariffs on Germany in the guise of national security? Can anyone support this position or explain to me how Germany is currently a threat to the US through BMWs and Porsches?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1777 on: May 31, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
MAGA!
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/389882-study-auto-tariffs-would-kill-157000-jobs

So.... imposing tariffs on Germany in the guise of national security? Can anyone support this position or explain to me how Germany is currently a threat to the US through BMWs and Porsches?

I was going to say 'because of the Nazis' . . . but Trump really likes Nazis, so that's obviously not the problem.  Maybe it's because there are so few Nazis in Germany now?

:P

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1778 on: May 31, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
Looks like we're setting a precedent for pardoning people who violate campaign finance laws. Preparing for the future, I'm assuming. https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/trump-dinesh-dsouza-pardon/index.html

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1779 on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Looks like we're setting a precedent for pardoning people who violate campaign finance laws. Preparing for the future, I'm assuming. https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/trump-dinesh-dsouza-pardon/index.html

I think his pardons are designed to send a message that it is ok to promote some of the more vile things Trump advocates.

He pardoned Arpaio who targeted non-whites, was a 'birther' and was convicted on contempt after he defied several direct court orders .  He pardoned Libby because he outed a CIA operative for political gain and (again) obstructed justice.  He pardoned Saucier because he made the absurd case that his crimes were ok because "Hillary!"

I'll admit Jack Johson doesn't really fit this pattern, but the pardon was posthumous and probably had more to do with his image as a strong man plus Sly Stallone's (another 'tough-guy' celeb) intervention.

another interesting thing is that so far all but one of Trump's pardons have been on individuals who were sentenced in the last decade or so.  Most presidential pardons.  Excluding lame-duck pardons it has been relatively rare for presidents to pardon anyone who was sentenced just a few years prior.  As far as I know, there were no pardons of people sentenced within 5 years in the first terms of Obama, "W", Clinton or Bush Sr. Most pardons have been for people who have been in jail at least 20 years.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1780 on: May 31, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »

I didn't vote for him in 2016 and you couldn't pay me enough to vote for him in 2020. Unfortunately, my vote will be more than cancelled by the dozens of votes in his favor by my relatives who think he's doing a great job (meaning, he's an authoritarian bully and they respect that).

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1781 on: May 31, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
How about a trade war with Canada, eh?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1782 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:53 PM »

"Trade wars are good and easy to win."

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1783 on: May 31, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
YEAH... lets have trade wars with our allies! Show 'em what MAGA is!

Is it time for election yet?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1784 on: May 31, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Fake Donald's at it again.    Somebody needs to distract him with an investigation or something.

Your former trading partners are retaliating with tariffs aimed at Trump's base.   At least I hope they are...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1785 on: May 31, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »

"Trade wars are good and easy to win."

The only consistent thread in the trump presidency appears to be "burn it all down". 

For a man who touted his deal making skills, he has done nothing but destroy.  He destroyed the TPP, the Iran deal, and the Paris accord.  He was making progress on North Korea, after failing to prevent them from going nuclear, then he destroyed that too.  He promised health care for all, then destroyed the ACA individual mandate without offering a replacement.  He's not making deals, he's disassembling them.

How's that renegotiated "better deal"with China going?  Right, he totally gave up and admitted defeat.  His promise to restore law and order?  Maybe after he quits attacking law enforcement agencies for being part of the "deep state".  Restoring America's standing in the world?  Hard to do while abandoning all global leadership roles.  Releasing his full tax records after the nomination?  Why adhere to any norms while you control congress?  Bringing back blue collar jobs?  Har de har har.  Sticking up for the forgotten little guy?  How about that tax bill!

Trumps not a leader, he's a destroyer.  He has no sense of his place in history as a momentary steward of our great country, he only cares about this week's tv ratings and you get good ratings by tearing everything down.  So he blows up America, bit by bit.  Civil rights, boom.  The first amendment, boom.  Ethical norms, boom.  Praise Putin, undermine the FBI, attack the free press.  He's fundamentally unAmerican in every way. 

What's next, adding a hammer and sickle to the flag and imposing anti-capitalist trade policies?  Maybe I should go check today's news cycle...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1786 on: May 31, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »

What's next, adding a hammer and sickle to the flag and imposing anti-capitalist trade policies?  Maybe I should go check today's news cycle...

Yep. today he was sending up a trial balloon on tariffs on all German autos because "national security." Utter bullshit, and push back because Merkel doesn't like him. Anti-capitalist isn't quite the same as crony capitalist oligarchy. Trump is clearly a fan of the latter because it allows him to funnel both money and influence.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1788 on: May 31, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
Sol, you are so right. Donny is a maniac! Why is congress allowing it? Everything he does is just stupid and horrible and is dragging our country into the gutter.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1789 on: May 31, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
Sol, you are so right. Donny is a maniac! Why is congress allowing it? Everything he does is just stupid and horrible and is dragging our country into the gutter.

Congress is allowing it b/c the GOP voters are mostly very supportive of Trump, more so than voters are of them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1790 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »
Is Scott Pruitt trying to get the axe?  Or is he really that clueless?

Pruitt spent $1,560 of EPA money on 12 pens ($130 per pen).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1791 on: June 01, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

As Boehner said, it's no longer the Republican Party; it's the Trump Party. This is the new normal.

Speculation: Trump's tariffs will cause a recession and a loss of jobs in those industries he's supposedly trying to save. The top is in!

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #1792 on: June 01, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

As Boehner said, it's no longer the Republican Party; it's the Trump Party. This is the new normal.

Speculation: Trump's tariffs will cause a recession and a loss of jobs in those industries he's supposedly trying to save. The top is in!

I doubt they cause a recession given the amount of tariffs so far, but there's little doubt that tariffs as a whole end up losing jobs. The front page of the newspaper in my city today explains how the tariffs will hurt TN workers due to the 200,000 jobs related to the auto sector in our state.

I will give you one guess who TN voted for in the presidential election.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1793 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

You're in the wrong thread :-P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1794 on: June 01, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
This is what's required.    Trade sanctions against the Trump organization itself.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/trade-sanctions-against-america-wont-work-sanctioning-trump-himself-might/

But wait.   Surely the president would not put his own interests ahead of the country's?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1795 on: June 02, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

I doubt they cause a recession given the amount of tariffs so far, but there's little doubt that tariffs as a whole end up losing jobs. The front page of the newspaper in my city today explains how the tariffs will hurt TN workers due to the 200,000 jobs related to the auto sector in our state.

I will give you one guess who TN voted for in the presidential election.

Same exact thing in my state. Even the Republican governor has come out strongly against Trump's trade war. Guess who they voted for as well? Such sad but sweet irony.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1796 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
Giuliani is asserting that Trump can pardon himself. It's laughable but probably not outside what Trump would attempt in this surreal era of cronyism and self-aggrandizement. Would his base accept it? I imagine even moderate Republicans would find it edging into the corrupt.

Some of his party are once again gaining a little courage; this time it's with regard to the tariffs and angering our enemies such as...Canada (lol. wtf?) We've seen some GOP criticism before but, given that all kinds of US exports will be affected (Kentucky bourbon* among them), maybe it'll stick.

The Canada tariffs affect Ohio and Michigan the most. (Who did they vote for again?)

* http://fortune.com/2016/02/03/whiskeys-bourbon-spirits-sales/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1797 on: June 03, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
Giuliani is asserting that Trump can pardon himself. It's laughable but probably not outside what Trump would attempt in this surreal era of cronyism and self-aggrandizement. Would his base accept it? I imagine even moderate Republicans would find it edging into the corrupt.

This seems likely for a supreme court showdown, and I can't see the SCOTUS accepting this logic. Scalia always refers back to what the founders intended and draws heavily on federalist papers, which are filled with references about keeping the president from having abolute authority. Kennedy takes the pragmatic approach, and the so-called 'liberal' judges won't like this one bit. 

Some of his party are once again gaining a little courage; this time it's with regard to the tariffs and angering our enemies such as...Canada (lol. wtf?) We've seen some GOP criticism before but, given that all kinds of US exports will be affected (Kentucky bourbon* among them), maybe it'll stick.

* http://fortune.com/2016/02/03/whiskeys-bourbon-spirits-sales/
I wonder if bourbon will get cheaper for awhile...
Increasingly I've heard Canadians talk about avoiding vacations in the US and buying less US-made stuff.

I get the feeling that DJT's calculus is that the status quo of open trade benefits the US x% but other countries 2x%. So in his mind if new tarrifs result in the US going down -x% but the rest of the country going down -3x% we "win".  Its akin to saying "sure, we'll all get hurt, but you'll get hurt more so that's better for US'"

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1798 on: June 03, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »
If Trump gets impeached, and ultimately removed-he can't pardon himself now can he? I'd imagine it'll be impossible for Trump to be impeached, unless the midterms swing wildly D and the Rs grow a spine...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1799 on: June 03, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
If Trump gets impeached, and ultimately removed-he can't pardon himself now can he? I'd imagine it'll be impossible for Trump to be impeached, unless the midterms swing wildly D and the Rs grow a spine...

R's growing a spine?

R's need to put their big boy pants on.

Why is everyone so afraid of Donny?