Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309205 times)

Aelias

• Bristles
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #7900 on: July 18, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
Note: Nikki Haley will be the first successful female VP nominee in 2024 (Pence will be taken off the ticket for Trump's third term)

Man, I think Haley may be the only person who comes out of this administration looking better than when she went in.  Remember when she was widely regarded as one of the most laughably dimwitted governors in the country? I think she now has a very good shot at the presidency down the line, and perhaps being the first woman of color to hold the office.  I will admit that I, like many others, seriously underestimated her, and I do think part of that probably has to do with both conscious and unconscious bias based on her gender.

I can't think of a single thing on which I agree with her, but I respect her hustle. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7901 on: July 19, 2019, 05:06:45 AM »

• It's pretty clear that George Conway is taking such strident anti-Trump positions so that he will be able to reconcile and absolve his wife when Trump loses, and she'll have an array of post-Trump employment opportunities (she's doing fine as long as Trump remains POTUS)
Kellyanne Conway is now on record as asking for a reporter to tell her his ethnicity as part of her White House defence of Trump's racist tweets.  If there is any justice in the world her career is over.

I have been wondering what George Conway has been doing....what is his end game?

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7902 on: July 19, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »
My guess is that his comments are how is wife really feels. Before she jumped on the bandwagon, she was not a trump fan.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #7903 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »
It's becoming more and more apparent as time goes by -- the #1 priority of many Republicans seems to be 'own the libs' no matter what that actually means.

Yup. Trump has transformed the GOP into the Troll Party.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-plastic-straws_n_5d3159ace4b020cd99414b9b

I could see supporters littering these on the beach and in streams in that name of "patriotism."

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #7904 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:44 AM »
Note: Nikki Haley will be the first successful female VP nominee in 2024 (Pence will be taken off the ticket for Trump's third term)

We can have the same Prime Minister for ever*, but aren't your presidents limited to 2 terms?

I assume talltexan is being facetious. Trump won't run for a 3rd term. The man never wanted to be president in the first place. Heck, I honestly don't expect him to live another 6 years.

I will be shocked to see him willfully give away the keys to the Whitehouse. I am not sure his ego is capable of allowing him to concede power.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:36:22 AM by eljefe-speaks »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7905 on: July 19, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »
It's a low bar, but I think Rick Perry has done well as Secretary of Energy.

He was able to get them to lower the bar (predecessors are generally nuclear Physicists), but he hasn't had anything like the self-dealing scandals that have claimed Tim Price, Scott Pruitt, and made Ben Carson look like a bum (instead of the genius surgeon he was three years ago).

My only problem with Perry's performance in the cabinet is that he really ought to have his boss's job.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7906 on: July 19, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
Continued presidency keeps him out of jail, though.

I would qualify that Congressional Republican capitulation to his imperial style of presidency is probably what keeps him out of jail. He's toast if Republicans get into a situation where they can/need to turn on him.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7907 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »

He was able to get them to lower the bar (predecessors are generally nuclear Physicists), but he hasn't had anything like the self-dealing scandals that have claimed Tim Price, Scott Pruitt, and made Ben Carson look like a bum (instead of the genius surgeon he was three years ago).

My only problem with Perry's performance in the cabinet is that he really ought to have his boss's job.

Wow.  I don't like Perry at all, but when I read your last sentence, my first thought was what a huge improvement he would be.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7908 on: July 19, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »

Wow.  I don't like Perry at all, but when I read your last sentence, my first thought was what a huge improvement he would be.

Let's not forget how weird of a situation this is.  Trump and his appointees have normalized corruption to an extent that someone who is not obviously corrupt seems like a great choice right now.  That doesn't mean that Perry is good for the job . . . just that we're becoming numb to the Trump's new normal.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7909 on: July 19, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »

Let's not forget how weird of a situation this is.  Trump and his appointees have normalized corruption to an extent that someone who is not obviously corrupt seems like a great choice right now.  That doesn't mean that Perry is good for the job . . . just that we're becoming numb to the Trump's new normal.

This is one of the huge problems with the GOP trend in recent years. Because for the health of our democracy (yea yea we're actually a republic yada yada), we actually need at least two functioning parties.

George W. was pretty weak, intelligence-wise. And unfortunately, I feel like that has set the bar lower for competence among GOP pretenders.

Rick Perry looked weak and bad even by comparison to GWB.

But now, with Trump having re-set the bar, even Rick Perry looks good by comparison.

I shudder to think what the next GOP president will do to the bar.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7910 on: July 19, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »

This is one of the huge problems with the GOP trend in recent years. Because for the health of our democracy (yea yea we're actually a republic yada yada), we actually need at least two functioning parties.

George W. was pretty weak, intelligence-wise. And unfortunately, I feel like that has set the bar lower for competence among GOP pretenders.

But now, with Trump having re-set the bar, even Rick Perry looks good by comparison.

Yes, I still remember the gaffe where he couldn't remember three agencies he wanted to eliminate. Rick Perry is basically staying out of trouble and not saying much, so he looks pretty good.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rick-perry-forgets-agencies_n_1085249?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9cmljaytwZXJyeStjYWJpbmV0K3F1b3RlJnNyYz1JRS1TZWFyY2hCb3gmRk9STT1JRU5UVFImY29udmVyc2F0aW9uaWQ9&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGtEHOJDxvo01Q99jOshzQKfSRmQKa9WKcupgkDM8DHh5xEz34dmFXFo6MVOjMuqR6uOLYTjV1gPQrfjJ486fRF5r3YqGnwpN7mZ9FHUiEl_VNBl2-_J6SRlg-jzSSphM6LJB0nfAeTBRelQVK8CzVb_XY_TUP7axXcjAtz_3XEM

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7911 on: July 19, 2019, 12:33:29 PM »
By the numbers:

• Connection with Texas A&M: Check!
  • Governor of Texas: Check!
  • Reality Television ("Dancing with the Stars"): Check!

Seems like Perry has the main qualifications of the last three GOP Presidents!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7912 on: July 19, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
Donald Trump defends rally crowd that chanted 'send her back,' calling them 'incredible patriots'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/19/donald-trump-defends-rally-crowd-patriots-despite-chants/1781499001/

Sorry, I'm being incredibly lazy, but I just hope that this is Fake News.

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump Friday defended the crowd at his North Carolina campaign rally who days earlier chanted taunts of "send her back" against Somali-born lawmaker Ilhan Omar.

Trump described the supporters at the Greenville, N.C. rally on Wednesday as "incredible people" and "incredible patriots," a day after he disavowed the chants that were criticized by Democrats and Republicans alike.

Is this really what America deserves from the office of the President?  Why has no one shut this pandering, two faced, narcissistic, insecure moron down?  Not only is it embarrassing and divisive, it is a complete waste at a time where Americans might be best served to, like, cut down on carbon emissions, rebuild infrastructure, or maintain a leadership position in a globalized world.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7913 on: July 19, 2019, 11:19:20 PM »
...and then, just in case you weren't embarrassed enough, there is this - Iraqi refugee Nadia Murad to Trump: ISIS killed family. Trump responds: 'Where are they now?'

WASHINGTON – Nadia Murad, a Nobel Peace Prize recipient and refugee of the Yazidi region of Iraq, this week personally asked President Donald Trump to step in to help her community -- in an appeal that was emotional, almost desperate at moments.

But Trump seemed aloof throughout the exchange, which quickly went viral.

It's what actually worries me most about Trump, he is so easy to manipulate.  He does not want to look like an idiot or loser even though he is becoming these things more and more as this train wreck continues.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7914 on: July 20, 2019, 07:03:54 AM »
Donald Trump defends rally crowd that chanted 'send her back,' calling them 'incredible patriots'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/19/donald-trump-defends-rally-crowd-patriots-despite-chants/1781499001/

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump Friday defended the crowd at his North Carolina campaign rally who days earlier chanted taunts of "send her back" against Somali-born lawmaker Ilhan Omar.

Trump described the supporters at the Greenville, N.C. rally on Wednesday as "incredible people" and "incredible patriots," a day after he disavowed the chants that were criticized by Democrats and Republicans alike.

Is this really what America deserves from the office of the President?  Why has no one shut this pandering, two faced, narcissistic, insecure moron down?  Not only is it embarrassing and divisive, it is a complete waste at a time where Americans might be best served to, like, cut down on carbon emissions, rebuild infrastructure, or maintain a leadership position in a globalized world.

Why wouldn't he defend them? They are his base.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7915 on: July 20, 2019, 07:05:31 AM »
...and then, just in case you weren't embarrassed enough, there is this - Iraqi refugee Nadia Murad to Trump: ISIS killed family. Trump responds: 'Where are they now?'

WASHINGTON – Nadia Murad, a Nobel Peace Prize recipient and refugee of the Yazidi region of Iraq, this week personally asked President Donald Trump to step in to help her community -- in an appeal that was emotional, almost desperate at moments.

But Trump seemed aloof throughout the exchange, which quickly went viral.

It's what actually worries me most about Trump, he is so easy to manipulate.  He does not want to look like an idiot or loser even though he is becoming these things more and more as this train wreck continues.

I looked at the video and you can see Donald Trump's fake concern. He's such an obvious con.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7916 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »

This really is a sham politician speaking from both sides of their face.  He has been told to condemn them (because duh, this is just terrible on so many levels, one of which blew up the Republican Party in the McCarthy days).  I feel a little bit sorry for people that still call themselves Republicans, many of them are very conflicted, but I feel terrible for the United States.  It’s like watching your country catch a bad cold when they start chanting, and now the President is supporting it.  What is next?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7917 on: July 20, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
Along the same lines anyone see the exchange between the Fox News host Pete Hegseth and Geraldo Rivera? He told Rivera he could absolutely tell him to go back to where he came from and it's not racist at all (Rivera is of Puerto Rican heritage). Rivera was having none of that. I'm not a fan of Rivera but he did say something I thought was very intelligent: "Gratitude is not a requirement of citizenship."

Defending racism on national TV. Wow!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7918 on: July 20, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »

This really is a sham politician speaking from both sides of their face.  He has been told to condemn them (because duh, this is just terrible on so many levels, one of which blew up the Republican Party in the McCarthy days).  I feel a little bit sorry for people that still call themselves Republicans, many of them are very conflicted, but I feel terrible for the United States.  It’s like watching your country catch a bad cold when they start chanting, and now the President is supporting it.  What is next?

I don’t feel any sympathy for anyone who still calls themself a Republican. At this point, continued party membership suggests agreement with Trump’s ignorant, narrow-minded view of America because the party has fallen into lockstep behind him. I admire those who left the party rather than continue to give even tacit support, such as Rep. Justin Amash from my own state.

What’s next? Well, bigots all over the country have been emboldened to say “go back to your own country” to anyone who doesn’t match their own bigoted ideal of an American, because the president has defended such behavior as “incredible patriotism.”

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7919 on: July 20, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »

I don’t feel any sympathy for anyone who still calls themself a Republican. At this point, continued party membership suggests agreement with Trump’s ignorant, narrow-minded view of America because the party has fallen into lockstep behind him. I admire those who left the party rather than continue to give even tacit support, such as Rep. Justin Amash from my own state.

What’s next? Well, bigots all over the country have been emboldened to say “go back to your own country” to anyone who doesn’t match their own bigoted ideal of an American, because the president has defended such behavior as “incredible patriotism.”

Haven't you heard, totalitarianism is the new patriotism!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7920 on: July 20, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »

The Democrats don't seem to be doing very well either.   Obama seemed to be an ok guy, but the present raft of candidates leave much to be desired.

Maybe Nancy Pelosi should run.

I'm hoping the election next year won't be another train wreck.   4 more years of seeing Trump's ugly mug on the news every day is not at all appealing. Democrats, get your s**t together and find a good leader!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7921 on: July 20, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »

The Democrats don't seem to be doing very well either.   Obama seemed to be an ok guy, but the present raft of candidates leave much to be desired.

I'm hoping the election next year won't be another train wreck.   4 more years of seeing Trump's ugly mug on the news every day is not at all appealing. Democrats, get your s**t together and find a good leader!

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. I’m not talking about policies. I’m talking strictly from a point of view of intelligence and competent. There are a number of intelligent and qualified people among the Democratic hopefuls.

There were among the Republicans hopefuls in 2016, too. And in 2008. And in 2000 and 2004. It’s not as though there aren’t competent people who run for that GOP nomination. It’s just that they don’t seem to get elected.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7922 on: July 21, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Why is Trump poking his nose into ASAP Rocky's legal problems in Sweden? Shouldn't this be so off the radar screen for the White House to even get involved in? Doesn't the USA have enough issues to deal with than to get involved with a minor situation? He isn't being tortured. Doesn't Trump have some real responsibilities to attend to. I guess not.

Many years ago we went to the island of Jamaica and the people who were in charge of our group told all of us to keep out of trouble (drugs mostly) because Jamaica is not part of the USA and they cannot help if you should get arrested. ASAP Rocky and his band went to a foreign country and should have known they weren't in USA and to keep their noses clean. I do not know who they are other than reading about them in the news, but people have to realize you have certain rights in USA that you don't in other countries.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7923 on: July 21, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »
Why is Trump poking his nose into ASAP Rocky's legal problems in Sweden? Shouldn't this be so off the radar screen for the White House to even get involved in? Doesn't the USA have enough issues to deal with than to get involved with a minor situation? He isn't being tortured. Doesn't Trump have some real responsibilities to attend to. I guess not.

Many years ago we went to the island of Jamaica and the people who were in charge of our group told all of us to keep out of trouble (drugs mostly) because Jamaica is not part of the USA and they cannot help if you should get arrested. ASAP Rocky and his band went to a foreign country and should have known they weren't in USA and to keep their noses clean. I do not know who they are other than reading about them in the news, but people have to realize you have certain rights in USA that you don't in other countries.

This is perplexing to me, too. The only thing I can think of is that it’s his incredibly ham-handed way of trying to prove he isn’t racist? Because oh look, he’s helping a black rapper. So all the blacks will see that and ignore his comments about the Squad, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7924 on: July 21, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
Kris, you might be onto something. He says it was Melania's idea. Somehow I find that hard to believe! You have all those kids in cages and she is worried about a rapper in Sweden? I think the most important thing on her agenda is deciding what frock to wear to the next event she attends.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7925 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. I’m not talking about policies. I’m talking strictly from a point of view of intelligence and competent. There are a number of intelligent and qualified people among the Democratic hopefuls.

There were among the Republicans hopefuls in 2016, too. And in 2008. And in 2000 and 2004. It’s not as though there aren’t competent people who run for that GOP nomination. It’s just that they don’t seem to get elected.

I completely agree that Trump is in a league of his own in terms of being unsuitable for office.    He's a con man, a misogynist and a racist who is primarily interested in the public's perception of... himself.   

However, Trump is  intelligent and competent enough to get the Trump organization going and keep it going - which is more than most of us have ever done.    He ran a very successful election campaign as a newcomer to politics who managed to get elected despite all of his shortcomings.

I don't see how you could claim - off the cuff - that the Democratic candidates are more intelligent and competent than Trump.    Can you elaborate?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7926 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »

I completely agree that Trump is in a league of his own in terms of being unsuitable for office.    He's a con man, a misogynist and a racist who is primarily interested in the public's perception of... himself.   

However, Trump is  intelligent and competent enough to get the Trump organization going and keep it going - which is more than most of us have ever done.    He ran a very successful election campaign as a newcomer to politics who managed to get elected despite all of his shortcomings.

I don't see how you could claim - off the cuff - that the Democratic candidates are more intelligent and competent than Trump.    Can you elaborate?

Uh...

I don't think I have to do more than point to Trump's record of unintelligent and incompetent remarks and behaviors. If you can find the same number of unintelligent and incompetent remarks -- or hell, even, let's say, 20% -- among the top ten polling Democratic candidates, then maybe I could be persuaded. But I hardly think I'm speaking "off the cuff" given the wealth of evidence before us.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7927 on: July 21, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that Mike Pence, Kellyanne Conway, Stephen Miller, and others keep the Trump Organization running. The man himself doesn’t seem to be able to handle much more than Twitter tantrums, multiple golf games per week, and several hours of Fox News per day.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7928 on: July 21, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
OtherJen, you are right. Trump is the puppet in the White House. Those that operate the puppet have to treat him like a spoiled child and stroke his ego all day long. Telling him how great he is when they are on the sidelines plotting and planning what performance they will make Trump do next. He certainly can't write speeches. When he gives a semi intelligent speech, you know he didn't write it. When he is speaking at his rallies, his vocabulary is ignorant and repeats himself over and over. UGH!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7929 on: July 21, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Not just the White House.  The Kremlin has people doing the same thing.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7930 on: July 21, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »

Regarding "competence" - I think it's important to clarify what we are judging competency *in*.  DJT is a showman and realty TV personality who inherited his father's real estate business and hundreds of millions of dollars.  Points can be made about whether he has been a 'successful' businessman or not, but I think a fair reading shows that he was a successful (e.g. competent) realty TV star.

However, when evaluating him as a president I think his record shows an incredible amount of incompetence in government. He and his team came in woefully unprepared, and for the past two+ years he's made one unforced error after another.  Anyone with a modicum of governmental experience knows that you should first have the support of your own party before nominating someone or proposing some piece of legislation. There's even a position in the legislature designed to tally such support (the majority/minority "whip").  Yet Trump has needlessly spent political capital nominating people who his own party wouldn't support (e.g. Ronny Jackson), or who hadn't been properly vetted (e.g. David Clarke, Monica Crowley), or who was so inexperienced for the job they were nominated to that they've been un-effective (oh so many... but Kushner tops the list, but also Carson and McMahon and DeVos and...).  Some of his most important cabinet members he didn't even seem to like or care to work with (Tillerson for his entire tenure, Sessions for 90% of his)
He's also has a poor track record  proposing policy  that almost everyone paying attention was certain would get stopped by the courts (various immigration EOs come to mind) or proposing someone that only drew an enormous partisan fight (Kavanaugh). Behind closed doors I'm sure most in teh GOP wished Trump had nominated a staunch conservative with far less baggage - and the list of potential candidates is very long there.

Then there's the policies that he hasn't done.  Rather than pushing through a large  infrastructure bill when the GOP controlled all branches of government and he could have easily gotten several dozen Dems to join (everyone likes to bring $$ to their home district) he went deep into a bunch nof cultural fights no one wanted (e.g. "very fine people on both sides" and attacking NFL players).  He (again) forced a vote on the ACA without any viable alternative and when he had a razor-thin margin for repeal... and ultimately lost.  He repealed NAFTA and now is struggling to get its replacement approved by his own party (which is pretty darn similar to the trade agreement he ripped up). He withdrew from the Iran deal but hasn't been able to work with either our allies OR Iran on the very issues we supposedly withdrew for.

Finally, DJT arguably cost his party the house, as extreme displeasure of his presidency drove substantial turnout in a non-presidential year.

In all of these cases a seasoned political advisor would have pointed out the obvious:  These actions are losers, and the same goals could be achieved with less baggage.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7931 on: July 21, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
This is what the British think of Trump. This sums up almost everything although there is much, much more!

https://themountainnewswa.net/2019/02/17/why-do-some-british-people-not-like-donald-trump-an-essay-by-nate-white/

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7932 on: July 21, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
This is what the British think of Trump. This sums up almost everything although there is much, much more!

https://themountainnewswa.net/2019/02/17/why-do-some-british-people-not-like-donald-trump-an-essay-by-nate-white/

Interesting that one commenter thought no one outside the US (i.e. a writer in the UK) should care about Trump.  The US is a super power, what it does affects people in other countries.  So of course people in other countries care about the quality and policies of US Presidents.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7933 on: July 22, 2019, 08:31:20 AM »

Regarding "competence" - I think it's important to clarify what we are judging competency *in*.  DJT is a showman and realty TV personality who inherited his father's real estate business and hundreds of millions of dollars.  Points can be made about whether he has been a 'successful' businessman or not, but I think a fair reading shows that he was a successful (e.g. competent) realty TV star.

However, when evaluating him as a president I think his record shows an incredible amount of incompetence in government. He and his team came in woefully unprepared, and for the past two+ years he's made one unforced error after another.  Anyone with a modicum of governmental experience knows that you should first have the support of your own party before nominating someone or proposing some piece of legislation. There's even a position in the legislature designed to tally such support (the majority/minority "whip").  Yet Trump has needlessly spent political capital nominating people who his own party wouldn't support (e.g. Ronny Jackson), or who hadn't been properly vetted (e.g. David Clarke, Monica Crowley), or who was so inexperienced for the job they were nominated to that they've been un-effective (oh so many... but Kushner tops the list, but also Carson and McMahon and DeVos and...).  Some of his most important cabinet members he didn't even seem to like or care to work with (Tillerson for his entire tenure, Sessions for 90% of his)
He's also has a poor track record  proposing policy  that almost everyone paying attention was certain would get stopped by the courts (various immigration EOs come to mind) or proposing someone that only drew an enormous partisan fight (Kavanaugh). Behind closed doors I'm sure most in teh GOP wished Trump had nominated a staunch conservative with far less baggage - and the list of potential candidates is very long there.

Then there's the policies that he hasn't done.  Rather than pushing through a large  infrastructure bill when the GOP controlled all branches of government and he could have easily gotten several dozen Dems to join (everyone likes to bring $$ to their home district) he went deep into a bunch nof cultural fights no one wanted (e.g. "very fine people on both sides" and attacking NFL players).  He (again) forced a vote on the ACA without any viable alternative and when he had a razor-thin margin for repeal... and ultimately lost.  He repealed NAFTA and now is struggling to get its replacement approved by his own party (which is pretty darn similar to the trade agreement he ripped up). He withdrew from the Iran deal but hasn't been able to work with either our allies OR Iran on the very issues we supposedly withdrew for.

Finally, DJT arguably cost his party the house, as extreme displeasure of his presidency drove substantial turnout in a non-presidential year.

In all of these cases a seasoned political advisor would have pointed out the obvious:  These actions are losers, and the same goals could be achieved with less baggage.

Most of this is fine, but it's not accurate that Trump "repealed" NAFTA.

He did negotiate a replacement, which you correctly describe, and that replacement appears to be DOA in Congress. Unfortunately, if you're trying to argue that this makes someone a bad President, then you also have to acknowledge that Obama negotiated the Iran Nuclear Deal, which was DEO in the GOP Senate, too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7934 on: July 22, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »

Most of this is fine, but it's not accurate that Trump "repealed" NAFTA.

He did negotiate a replacement, which you correctly describe, and that replacement appears to be DOA in Congress. Unfortunately, if you're trying to argue that this makes someone a bad President, then you also have to acknowledge that Obama negotiated the Iran Nuclear Deal, which was DEO in the GOP Senate, too.

Fair enough - Trump did not (and cannot) unilaterallly cancel NAFTA. But his trade EOs have had the equivalent effect. One cannot both observe NAFTA while labeling Canada a threat to national security and slapping tariffs the go against the trade agreement.

If that was Trump’s only failure as a President one could claim competence. But it’s a series of failed actions and unforced errors as outlined above - particularly since he had all of congress for two full years

Had we had any other GOP president the list of new policies would be long

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7935 on: July 22, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
I'll sign on with the idea that any other Republican President would have gotten TCJA, wouldn't be fighting a trade war, and would be appointing basically the same judges.

From that reasoning, it follows that--were he to have won in 2012--Mitt Romney would have become the best President ever. All the same things listed above would have happened, and sooner, plus Congress could have repealed ACA instead of this backdoor sabotage stuff that Trump is doing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7936 on: July 22, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
I'll sign on with the idea that any other Republican President would have gotten TCJA, wouldn't be fighting a trade war, and would be appointing basically the same judges.

From that reasoning, it follows that--were he to have won in 2012--Mitt Romney would have become the best President ever. All the same things listed above would have happened, and sooner, plus Congress could have repealed ACA instead of this backdoor sabotage stuff that Trump is doing.

You think that Romney would have repealed the health care plan he created?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7937 on: July 22, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »

You think that Romney would have repealed the health care plan he created?

I mean, Romney has ended up showing us he has about as much backbone as an amoeba, so...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7938 on: July 23, 2019, 07:27:51 AM »
No, I think that the Republican House, along with the GOP Senate (because Romney winning would probably come with the Senate flipping) would have repealed ACA in the first week of January, leaving Romney with no choice but to sign the bill on inauguration day 2013.

Then, they would have passed something like TCJA by the end of that year, boosting GDP growth by another 1% during 2014.

Then, Scalia dies in 2016, and--fearing for Romney's chances in a tight 2016 race for re-election--Kennedy retires as well to give him a double bite at the SCOTUS apple.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7939 on: July 23, 2019, 07:46:09 AM »
I wasn't thinking of Romney win in 2012 (concurrent with Obama not getting a 2nd term), but more about what any of the other ~16 GOP contenders in the 2016 race would have accomplished with the same Senatorial and House compositions as DJT had.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7940 on: July 23, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »
With Boris moving to Downing Street, it would appear that Trump will once again have a special relationship with the UK. FFS.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7941 on: July 23, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
Trump got help to win the election courtesy of Jim Comey, as well as unprecedented foreign influence.
The media is partly to blame by obsessing about Hillary's email server.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7942 on: July 23, 2019, 11:53:42 AM »
Johnson will finally get to show everyone the amazing plan he had when he was campaigning for Brexit.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7943 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Johnson will finally get to show everyone the amazing plan he had when he was campaigning for Brexit.
Is this anything like the "amazing, beautiful' plan for health care in the US to replace the ACA?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7944 on: July 23, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
Is this anything like the "amazing, beautiful' plan for health care in the US to replace the ACA?
Somewhat similar, because it is entirely dependent on negotiating an agreement with people who've been saying for the last year that they aren't interested in negotiating, have no incentive to negotiate and are entirely prepared to wash their hands of the whole thing.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7945 on: July 23, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
Somewhat similar, because it is entirely dependent on negotiating an agreement with people who've been saying for the last year that they aren't interested in negotiating, have no incentive to negotiate and are entirely prepared to wash their hands of the whole thing.
oh, ok... so basically if we ignore the problem it should resolve itself in our favor?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7946 on: July 23, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
oh, ok... so basically if we ignore the problem it should resolve itself in our favor?
If you find someone who thinks they know what will happen you will have found someone who is wrong.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7947 on: July 23, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »
If you find someone who thinks they know what will happen you will have found someone who is wrong.

Agreed if you're talking about specifics.  But it's a pretty safe bet that Brexit will be a shit show.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7948 on: July 23, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
It will be a fucking disaster of epic, country-splintering proportions. Johnson enters office as the prime minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; he could realistically leave office as the prime minister of England and Wales. He's going to be ripped to pieces by the EU's negotiation team, and all his idiot promises will burn to the ground. He's a stupid person's idea of a smart person, an undeserving beneficiary of British class prejudices, and fundamentally not fit for the job. It is some small consolation that as Ireland scrambles to cope with the perfect storm of English idiocy, we will at least get to see Boris Fucking Johnson be exposed as the shallow, arrogant moron he is.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7949 on: July 23, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
It will be a fucking disaster of epic, country-splintering proportions. Johnson enters office as the prime minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; he could realistically leave office as the prime minister of England and Wales. He's going to be ripped to pieces by the EU's negotiation team, and all his idiot promises will burn to the ground. He's a stupid person's idea of a smart person, an undeserving beneficiary of British class prejudices, and fundamentally not fit for the job. It is some small consolation that as Ireland scrambles to cope with the perfect storm of English idiocy, we will at least get to see Boris Fucking Johnson be exposed as the shallow, arrogant moron he is.

Huh, that's what I thought would happen to Trump. And in a way, it has, but unfortunately the people we really wanted to see it are going to incredible lengths to remain in denial. We shall see.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!