Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1308861 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #7600 on: July 06, 2019, 01:18:25 PM »
I'd have enjoyed it more if he'd have had a heart attack in the middle of it.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7601 on: July 06, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
That's just mean.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7602 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
But funny.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7603 on: July 06, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »

In between the flyovers, Trump's speech covered some history and highlights and gave great praise to each form of the US military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYUzhYL4aD4

That's the history in which revolutionary forces seized the airports, right?

Har dee har har.  Yes.  Gaffes happen.  It was a fantastic speech.

Agreed. It was a great speech.

What did you like about the speech?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7604 on: July 06, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
Cards on the table: on what metric do you think Trump's speech was better than those of other presidents?

And "he said stuff I agreed with" is not a metric.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7605 on: July 06, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »

In between the flyovers, Trump's speech covered some history and highlights and gave great praise to each form of the US military.

Agreed +1.  Absolutely a great speech.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7606 on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »

The greatest.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7607 on: July 06, 2019, 03:59:19 PM »
Yeah.

Except for all the demonstrably wrong stuff he said in it, it was fantastic.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7608 on: July 06, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
That's just mean.

It's the reality Trump created.  It's okay for him to be mean, so it's okay for us to be mean. 

MAGA   Spread the hate. 

Welcome to Trump's America. 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7609 on: July 06, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
Yeah.

Do you have other examples besides the airports?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7610 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
Yeah.

And the weird pauses. And the out of place emphasis. And staring at the teleprompter non-stop.

Honestly, regardless of how I feel about his policy and decisions, his public speaking skills are shit. Maybe you guys are referring to the words more so than the delivery?

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7611 on: July 06, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
Yes, the words more than the delivery.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7612 on: July 06, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
Yeah.

Do you have other examples besides the airports?

Oh, sure. I'll even give him a freebie on the airport one -- even though it is freaking ridiculous that he was paying so little attention to what was coming out of his piehole that he didn't have the presence of mind to say to himself, "You know, Donald, that just doesn't sound right about the airports."

1) He said the continental army was named after George Washington. Which, um, no it was not.

2) He said that the continental army seized victory from "Cornwallis of Yorktown." Cornwallis is not "of Yorktown" or from Yorktown. He was "from" London.

3) He said the revolutionaries had victory at Fort McHenry. Which was a battle of the War of 1812. Not the American Revolution.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:18:00 PM by Kris »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7613 on: July 06, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

Yes, the words more than the delivery.

again - what did you like about the speech?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7614 on: July 06, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »
I'm not giving him a freebie on the airports one.  It will for ever be Exhibit 1 in the Trump hall of stupidity that will take the place of a Trump library.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7615 on: July 06, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
I'm not giving him a freebie on the airports one.  It will for ever be Exhibit 1 in the Trump hall of stupidity that will take the place of a Trump library.

Yeah. I mean, he shouldn’t get a freebie on it. But since his supporters are like, “Okay, but other than this totally ridiculous fuckup that would have tanked any other president but our standards are so low that we want to pretend it’s nothing... what else you got?”

... I figured I’d spot him one.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7617 on: July 06, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
I wonder how many neo-nazis will be joining in?
Perhaps fewer than the number of Antifas?

Lol. Yeah. That’s likely.

/s
Proud Boys rally outnumbered by antifa, counter-protesters in DC

Fascinating. You actually changed the title of the article to include the term “antifa.”

From the actual article:

Proud Boys attracted roughly 250 supporters.

Among the counter-protesters were roughly 50 antifa.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7618 on: July 06, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »

/s

Fascinating. You actually changed the title of the article to include the term “antifa.”

From the actual article:

No, I didn't change anything - just used the page title encoded by USA Today.  Nice try.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7619 on: July 06, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »

/s

From the actual article:

No, I didn't change anything - just used the page title encoded by USA Today.  Nice try.

So... can you explain how the title that appears in the link is not at all the title of the article? And that in the title of the article, it does not mention antifa at all?

And can you address the fact that in the actual article, it says there were 250 Proud Boy supporters, but only 50 antifa?

Edit: This is the way that the actual link appears. And for the record, this is the original link that MDM posted.

Just, you know, in case he decides to edit his post to link to some other article that might imply something different.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/06/white-nationalist-linked-proud-boys-outnumbered-counter-protesters/1661585001/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:27:07 PM by Kris »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7620 on: July 06, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »

/s

Did you read the article you posted?  Because what you're claiming isn't written.

Despite Trump's best efforts, you can't just lie enough that what you want to be reality becomes the truth.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7622 on: July 06, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
Kris
GuitarStv

Are you familiar with the "Link Text and Location Copier" add-on for Firefox?

It allows one to right click on a page and put [url=%pageurl%]%pagetitle%[/url] into the paste buffer, with whatever the page creator has encoded for the pagetitle variable and of course whatever the pageurl is. 

From there, one can paste into a forum post.  That's all - nothing nefarious.

I read it as "the combination of antifa and other counter-protesters" outnumbered the lunatic far right folks.  That seems a good thing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7623 on: July 06, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
Kris
GuitarStv

It allows one to right click on a page and put [url=%pageurl%]%pagetitle%[/url] into the paste buffer, with whatever the page creator has encoded for the pagetitle variable and of course whatever the pageurl is. 

I read it as "the combination of antifa and other counter-protesters" outnumbered the lunatic far right folks.  That seems a good thing.

Uh-huh.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7624 on: July 06, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
Kris
GuitarStv

Uh-huh.
Yup.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7625 on: July 07, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
For whoever thinks the word "airports" was a telepromper fuckup, how are you explaining the first half of the sentence?

Our Army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7626 on: July 07, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
That's just mean.

It's the reality Trump created.  It's okay for him to be mean, so it's okay for us to be mean. 

MAGA   Spread the hate. 

Welcome to Trump's America.

Yeah. And caging children is kind.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7627 on: July 07, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
For whoever thinks the word "airports" was a telepromper fuckup, how are you explaining the first half of the sentence?

Our Army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do

I wonder if Stephen Miller wrote the speech.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7628 on: July 07, 2019, 02:14:57 PM »
So great speech for Trump means only a couple hilarious screw ups while reading from a teleprompter. MLK gave great speeches. No teleprompter or historical “gaffes.” Trump just reads some words and at times really struggles with that. When he wings it, wow! He just seems like an old guy with some mental issues.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7629 on: July 07, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
So great speech for Trump means only a couple hilarious screw ups while reading from a teleprompter. MLK gave great speeches. No teleprompter or historical “gaffes.” Trump just reads some words and at times really struggles with that. When he wings it, wow! He just seems like an old guy with some mental issues.

I just saw someone call his speech “The Forgettysburg Address.”

Accurate.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #7630 on: July 07, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
This was posted by FalseDmitriy on reddit.  I think s/he gives a good explanation of Trump’s flubs.  It also explains why he has low or flat affect when he reads anything orally.  Full disclosure - I'm not a Trump supporter and I'm also in PK-12+ public education.

So I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened here. I haven't seen anyone else post about this, but as a teacher who works with struggling readers, I know that highly literate people (including most general-level teachers) have a hard time understanding how someone like this approaches written text, since for many of us reading comes so naturally. From my perspective it's pretty easy to see why Trump said this weird thing, given what we know about him. We know:
•   Donald Trump does not read well. Like most of the students I work with, he avoids reading both because he wants to avoid being embarrassed, and because reading costs him a lot more mental energy than for proficient readers. We know from lots of different reports that his staff does not give him anything long or complex to read, because of this avoidance.
•   For this reason, when Trump does have to read something out loud, it is clear that he is not processing the meaning of what he is saying. For a struggling reader, all their concentration goes into pronouncing the words out loud, and simultaneously processing the meaning is very difficult. We see this when is giving a prepared speech and mispronounces a word in a way that makes no sense. A proficient reader would immediately stop and self-correct. Trump often doesn't, because he is not processing what he is saying. Other times I know I've heard him notice his mistake, but instead of correcting it, he covers it up with a bit of lame word-play, pretending that the mistake was intentional. He adds and “and” and corrects.  I found some examples: "through their lives... and though their lives." "authority... and authoritarian powers." "They sacrifice every day for the furniture... and future of our children." It's Trump's go-to move when he misreads a word.
•   There are other times when he reacts to a line in his speech like he hasn't heard it before. He noticeably stops and inserts a comment of his own before going back to the reading. He does not know how to gracefully glide between reading and impromptu speaking, since reading is so unnatural for him.
•   Trump also has a relatively small vocabulary. Remember his remarks about "the oranges of the Mueller report." He was parroting something that he had heard before, but not having a firm grasp of the word "origins," he used a more familiar word instead, because that was how his mind remembered the word.
•   The speech he was giving made heavy use of language from "The Star-Spangled Banner." For many struggling readers, this would be helpful, since it would rely on familiar chunks of language that would reduce the mental load of reading it. However, we've seen that Trump does not know the words to the anthem. He has tried and failed to sing along with it but couldn't fake it very well.

Keeping all that in mind, let's look at what he said:
Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.

Based on my experience, here's what I think happened, step by step.

Our army manned the air
Here I think it's likely that Trump skipped a line on his teleprompter. The line was probably "manned the ramparts," and later on I'm guessing there was a reference to "bombs bursting in air." We all do this sometimes, but struggling readers do it a whole lot more. And furthermore, when a proficient reader makes this mistake they can quickly self-correct, but someone like Trump, who is not totally processing the meaning of what he is reading, can get totally derailed when they do this.

it rammed the ramparts
Trump seems to have noticed that "manned the air" was a mistake, and he went back to do the line over. But he got "manned" and "ramparts" mixed up, so it came out as "rammed." But he's immediately fallen into another pit: the word "ramparts." He doesn't know what it means. It's a very uncommon word that most Americans only know from this line in "The Star Spangled Banner." Trump, however, doesn't even know that, since he has never learned the words to the song. So I think that at this point, already a little flustered from covering up his last mistake, he thinks he has mis-read another word. "Ramparts?" I must have misread something, he thinks to himself.

it took over the airports
This is a repair strategy that Trump has used in the past. Mess up a word? Pretend it was the first in a sequence of rhyming or similar words and carry on from there. What's a word he knows that sounds like ramparts? Airports. And "air" was already on his mind from just before, when he accidentally read "manned the air." So, they manned the ramparts, they took over the airports. He's hoping that nobody will notice. It's worked before.

it did everything it had to do
This sounds like an impromptu comment that he inserted into the written text. It uses the simple and non-specific language that he is known for in his impromptu speeches. The comment bought him a second where he could find his place after getting completely lost before.

and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.
And now he's found his place again. He's back to the written speech that uses lines from "The Star-Spangled Banner." He might not even realize how ridiculous his last few sentences have sounded, since again, he's not really able to process the meaning of what he is saying.

My kiddos who are in this situation have a hard time. I and their other teachers have to work really hard to help them learn strategies to overcome these difficulties with the way they process written text. It requires just as much hard work on the kids' part. I strongly suspect that Donald Trump never went through this process and remains in a not fully literate state. Usually we're afraid that someone who graduates with this level of reading ability will have very limited career prospects in the future.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7631 on: July 07, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
This was posted by FalseDmitriy on reddit.  I think s/he gives a good explanation of Trump’s flubs.  It also explains why he has low or flat affect when he reads anything orally.  Full disclosure - I'm not a Trump supporter and I'm also in PK-12+ public education.

So I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened here. I haven't seen anyone else post about this, but as a teacher who works with struggling readers, I know that highly literate people (including most general-level teachers) have a hard time understanding how someone like this approaches written text, since for many of us reading comes so naturally. From my perspective it's pretty easy to see why Trump said this weird thing, given what we know about him. We know:
•   Donald Trump does not read well. Like most of the students I work with, he avoids reading both because he wants to avoid being embarrassed, and because reading costs him a lot more mental energy than for proficient readers. We know from lots of different reports that his staff does not give him anything long or complex to read, because of this avoidance.
•   For this reason, when Trump does have to read something out loud, it is clear that he is not processing the meaning of what he is saying. For a struggling reader, all their concentration goes into pronouncing the words out loud, and simultaneously processing the meaning is very difficult. We see this when is giving a prepared speech and mispronounces a word in a way that makes no sense. A proficient reader would immediately stop and self-correct. Trump often doesn't, because he is not processing what he is saying. Other times I know I've heard him notice his mistake, but instead of correcting it, he covers it up with a bit of lame word-play, pretending that the mistake was intentional. He adds and “and” and corrects.  I found some examples: "through their lives... and though their lives." "authority... and authoritarian powers." "They sacrifice every day for the furniture... and future of our children." It's Trump's go-to move when he misreads a word.
•   There are other times when he reacts to a line in his speech like he hasn't heard it before. He noticeably stops and inserts a comment of his own before going back to the reading. He does not know how to gracefully glide between reading and impromptu speaking, since reading is so unnatural for him.
•   Trump also has a relatively small vocabulary. Remember his remarks about "the oranges of the Mueller report." He was parroting something that he had heard before, but not having a firm grasp of the word "origins," he used a more familiar word instead, because that was how his mind remembered the word.
•   The speech he was giving made heavy use of language from "The Star-Spangled Banner." For many struggling readers, this would be helpful, since it would rely on familiar chunks of language that would reduce the mental load of reading it. However, we've seen that Trump does not know the words to the anthem. He has tried and failed to sing along with it but couldn't fake it very well.

Keeping all that in mind, let's look at what he said:
Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.

Based on my experience, here's what I think happened, step by step.

Our army manned the air
Here I think it's likely that Trump skipped a line on his teleprompter. The line was probably "manned the ramparts," and later on I'm guessing there was a reference to "bombs bursting in air." We all do this sometimes, but struggling readers do it a whole lot more. And furthermore, when a proficient reader makes this mistake they can quickly self-correct, but someone like Trump, who is not totally processing the meaning of what he is reading, can get totally derailed when they do this.

it rammed the ramparts
Trump seems to have noticed that "manned the air" was a mistake, and he went back to do the line over. But he got "manned" and "ramparts" mixed up, so it came out as "rammed." But he's immediately fallen into another pit: the word "ramparts." He doesn't know what it means. It's a very uncommon word that most Americans only know from this line in "The Star Spangled Banner." Trump, however, doesn't even know that, since he has never learned the words to the song. So I think that at this point, already a little flustered from covering up his last mistake, he thinks he has mis-read another word. "Ramparts?" I must have misread something, he thinks to himself.

it took over the airports
This is a repair strategy that Trump has used in the past. Mess up a word? Pretend it was the first in a sequence of rhyming or similar words and carry on from there. What's a word he knows that sounds like ramparts? Airports. And "air" was already on his mind from just before, when he accidentally read "manned the air." So, they manned the ramparts, they took over the airports. He's hoping that nobody will notice. It's worked before.

it did everything it had to do
This sounds like an impromptu comment that he inserted into the written text. It uses the simple and non-specific language that he is known for in his impromptu speeches. The comment bought him a second where he could find his place after getting completely lost before.

and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.
And now he's found his place again. He's back to the written speech that uses lines from "The Star-Spangled Banner." He might not even realize how ridiculous his last few sentences have sounded, since again, he's not really able to process the meaning of what he is saying.

My kiddos who are in this situation have a hard time. I and their other teachers have to work really hard to help them learn strategies to overcome these difficulties with the way they process written text. It requires just as much hard work on the kids' part. I strongly suspect that Donald Trump never went through this process and remains in a not fully literate state. Usually we're afraid that someone who graduates with this level of reading ability will have very limited career prospects in the future.

That seems pretty accurate. Throw in that he’s a pathological liar who cares very little about whether anything he says is true, and that he knows his base doesn’t seem to care either way, and I think you’re onto something.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7632 on: July 07, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
C-note, that was really a great synopsis of Donald Trumps reading issues. I personally cannot stand to listen to his lies and chest pounding praising of his intellect and genius status.

How did he ever graduate Wharton with his low intelligence? I am sure his daddy paid off people to write his reports and take his tests for him. Funny we never hear of people he went to school with and their opinion of Donald.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7633 on: July 07, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »

MLK was a great orator - probably a combination of being naturally gifted but also having had a ton of practice over several decades as a preacher.  What some don't know is that his most famous section from his most memorable speech - the "I have a dream" - was ad libbed.  He was reading the speech he had written and rehearsed when he noticed that he was losing his audience some 20 minutes in under the hot August sun. 

So he went off script, borrowing heavily from biblical references ("... transformed in an oasis of freedom... every valley shall be exhalted...and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed"...) and then from popular (and patriotic) culture ("Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado. Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California. But not only that; let freedom ring from the Stone Mountain of Georgia. Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.)

Even among frequent public speakers, very few can do that, and even fewer can make their off-script remarks better than what they had written and rehearsed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7634 on: July 07, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
I feel like everyone is failing to acknowledge that as a very stable genius, Trump knows all the best words.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7635 on: July 07, 2019, 03:43:13 PM »
It's a go-to for liberals to say that every Republican president ever is an idiot.  When was our last smart Republican president?  Conversely, every Democrat is so very bright.  How is that?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7636 on: July 07, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
It's a go-to for liberals to say that every Republican president ever is an idiot.  When was our last smart Republican president?  Conversely, every Democrat is so very bright.  How is that?

I love how you just jump over and ignore every piece of evidence that THIS president is bad at his job — including, by the way, the answer from me you specifically asked for — and instead whine that apparently liberals just say this stuff for no reason? Lmao

GW Bush was... not that bright. Trump is an idiot, sorry.

I don’t recall liberals saying GHW was dumb. Because he wasn’t.

Reagan was not a genius. But he had certain skills, for sure. Unfortunately, he was showing signs of dementia toward the end.

Saying presidents who are not smart, are not smart, is being truthful.

Pretending that a president who is dumb is smart... is lying.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7637 on: July 07, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »

What’s up with the straw-man?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7638 on: July 07, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »

Bush Jr. was pretty dumb.  Trump actually seems to be worse.  I'd say the last Republican president who appeared intelligent was Bush Sr.  It's not like there aren't intelligent Republican candidates though (Romney was a smart guy - that's probably why he came up with 'Obamacare').

I don't think every Democratic candidate is very smart.  Especially not this year.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7639 on: July 07, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
I don't think every Democratic candidate is very smart.  Especially not this year.

And even if they seem smart, they usually have bad ideas.  There's a thread dedicated to them.

I know none of them would be as strong on immigration as Trump, and I'm afraid what they might do to our rolling economy.  Trump has really helped build my stash and many other people's stashes on this forum.

Trump isn't perfect at public speaking, but I think it would be a mistake to assume that means he's not intelligent.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7640 on: July 07, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »

I know none of them would be as strong on immigration as Trump, and I'm afraid what they might do to our rolling economy.  Trump has really helped build my stash and many other people's stashes on this forum.

My 'stache grew pretty well under Obama, too.  In fact, it did slightly better overall (to date).  Just sayin' ...

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #7641 on: July 07, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »

And even if they seem smart, they usually have bad ideas.  There's a thread dedicated to them.

Trump isn't perfect at public speaking, but I think it would be a mistake to assume that means he's not intelligent.

That's a stretch for me considering his track record on business (casino, university, etc.) and comments/statements (too many to name) around a number of US and world situations.  To me, he appears unread and uneducated for the position to which he was elected and that manifests itself as ill-prepared.  He shoots from the hip frequently and casually which is frightening/disturbing/unsettling to me. 

In my view, he is a form of a Kardashian - made famous by his name/money and not by his actions (business, public service, etc.).   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:21:30 PM by C-note »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7642 on: July 07, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »
People who, I’d argue, would know feel that Trump and his administration are... inept, among other things.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/07/739251572/top-british-diplomat-assails-trumps-inept-presidency-in-leaked-memos

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7643 on: July 07, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »

My 'stache grew pretty well under Obama, too.  In fact, it did slightly better overall (to date).  Just sayin' ...

Yeah.

And, uh, my stache didn’t do so well under GWB.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7644 on: July 07, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »
I know none of them would be as strong inhumane on immigration as Trump,
FTFY. And to that I say fantastic! Alas I know separating families and inhumane child abuse is "red meat" for the base.

From inauguration day through roughly the end of May 3rd year in office the S&P grew by roughly 25%. Using the same time frame the S&P grew by 56.4% under Obama. Of course Obama was handed a shit sandwich whereas Trump was handed a gold nugget. Thanks Obama!!

I would certainly advise waiting to see how Trump's policies affect everyone (including the market) before patting him on the back.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7645 on: July 07, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
What puzzles me about the immigration issue is that by all the metrics that DJT seems to be interested in, this administration is doing worse than either Obama or GWB.  Illegal border crossings have skyrocketed during his tenure, as has the cost of enforcement and the number of migrant deaths.  Wouldn't this suggest that the policies of the last 2.5 years are having an effect contrary to their stated purpose?

Put another way, how much worse must things get (or how much longer will things need to be this bad) before we go a different route?

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7646 on: July 07, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »

My stash dropped to a low point under Obama.  It eventually recovered those losses, but it took abut 4 years.  The Obama recovery was the slowest recovery ever from a recession.  In contrast, the Trump is economy is rolling at a high level, the lowest unemployment in 50 years.  Mustachians should be praising Trump for what he's done for you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:31:47 PM by FIREstache »

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7647 on: July 07, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
Illegal border crossings have skyrocketed during his tenure, as has the cost of enforcement and the number of migrant deaths.

With the Trump economy going gangbusters and so many jobs available, it's like a magnet to illegals.  And the problem is democrats are not helpful in preventing these illegals from entering the country or deporting them.  We need to change the asylum laws as well which allow illegals to exploit our laws for their own gain.  Democrats are putting votes and partisan politics over border security and protecting American citizens.  It's not surprising that some illegals die making their way to this country, but they have themselves to blame.  They should use legal processes to immigrate.

Trump would be even stronger on border security if all of the necessary funds were approved and legislation was passed to address these matters, but the democrats are obstructionists on the issue.  I am certain all democrats would be weak on border security and immigration.  Some of them have made it very clear that they are for open borders without actually saying "open borders".

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7648 on: July 07, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »
Has anyone seen this? PS it is very hard to take seriously anyone's argument who uses the word "illegals" to describe undocumented immigrants.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/316341058/Donald-Trump-Jeffrey-Epstein-Rape-Lawsuit-and-Affidavits?fbclid=IwAR0XuetfKDYIFdsWtThbVIOeAM6ubY_D_7P9AmlGWXdxrOSLKSiYZHXJQlA

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7649 on: July 07, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
PS it is very hard to take seriously anyone's argument who uses the word "illegals" to describe undocumented immigrants.

That's ironic.  As soon as I hear someone say "undocumented", I know they are going to blow me a bunch of smoke.  "Illegal alien" is official government terminology.

ref:

The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) federally codified the term “illegal alien” into federal law when President Ronald Reagan signed it in 1986. However, the term was already being used in legal conversation and the media for decades.