Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309112 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-falsely-says-obama-not-call-families-dead-soldiers-192604187.html

For some unknown reason, #45 decided to double down on his lie today.

It's not an unknown reason . . . it's because he's a pathological liar.

Yes but Hillary has been mistruthful before too so they are literally the same. (◔_◔)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »
Well, at least there is one politician that speaks their mind and has credibility.  McCain delivered what might just be a historic speech.

“To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain 'the last, best hope of earth' for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history."

Let's hope the constant stream of toxic lies begin to stick to Trump.  We should demand better than this, and the world certainly expects more of us.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
Was he just bragging about "Grab 'em by the p****" or did he really do that?  With many women came forward and reported what Weinstein did, I been wondering if someone would come forward as well. That would be very bad... (this got nothing to do if one is Republican or Democrat).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
Was he just bragging about "Grab 'em by the p****" or did he really do that?  With many women came forward and reported what Weinstein did, I been wondering if someone would come forward as well. That would be very bad... (this got nothing to do if one is Republican or Democrat).
If I recall correctly, many women came forward. And they were all brushed off as trying to capitalize on the situation. I believe he has some sexual assault cases still in the court system somewhere, as well.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: October 17, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
Nice try, Sarah.  But I don't think it made a whit of difference.  You should have called out the birther who kept insisting and joking (not joking) that Obama is an immigrant.  I also loved the part where they went around the room to demonstrate that every family member was on some kind of government healthcare.  At least some of them could identify that it was Medicaid, but the birther was all "well-I don't know, you just apply for it at school and get it."  And in the next breath, the birther explained that she didn't like Obama because he just handed out government goodies to all kind of people who didn't work.  Ummmm..... For all her empathy and listening, what does that really accomplish?  They will still believe things that are untrue, but now they'll feel better about it?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sarah-silverman-reaches-out-to-trump-voters-in-i-love-you-america-premiere

tl;dr: Trump voters like sucking up public benefits but don't like it when other people do.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #506 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Also, when are Trump voters ever going to reach out to us?  How come I never get any gentle approaches "Can you explain why you think the climate is changing?"  or "How can we reach a middle ground on abortion?"  I'm tired of one side always extending the olive branch.  You can't negotiate with these people if you can't even agree on what a fact is or even what a debatable subject is (not debatable: Obama's birthplace).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #507 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
Also, when are Trump voters ever going to reach out to us?  How come I never get any gentle approaches "Can you explain why you think the climate is changing?"  or "How can we reach a middle ground on abortion?"  I'm tired of one side always extending the olive branch.  You can't negotiate with these people if you can't even agree on what a fact is or even what a debatable subject is (not debatable: Obama's birthplace).
They generally believe that climate change is junk science and that there is no middle ground to be had on abortion.  Having grown up in an extremely religious/conservative environment, compromise is not a thing.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI

jim555

• Magnum Stache

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #510 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

Holy ****!! It is disturbing enough there is a long list of this. While I understand you are innocent until proven guilty, this really caught my eyes:

"Another type of accusation was made, primarily after the audio recording surfaced, by several former Miss USA and Miss Teen USA contestants, who accused Trump of entering the dressing rooms of beauty pageant contestants. Trump, who owned the Miss Universe franchise, which includes both pageants, was accused of going into dressing rooms in 1997, 2000, 2001, and 2006, while contestants were in various stages of undress."

Miss Teen USA is for girls aged 14-19. That's really messed-up (for the lack of better terms).

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

Holy ****!! It is disturbing enough there is a long list of this. While I understand you are innocent until proven guilty, this really caught my eyes:

"Another type of accusation was made, primarily after the audio recording surfaced, by several former Miss USA and Miss Teen USA contestants, who accused Trump of entering the dressing rooms of beauty pageant contestants. Trump, who owned the Miss Universe franchise, which includes both pageants, was accused of going into dressing rooms in 1997, 2000, 2001, and 2006, while contestants were in various stages of undress."

Miss Teen USA is for girls aged 14-19. That's really messed-up (for the lack of better terms).

This was well known long before he was even the lead GOP candidate. The voters did not care, apparently. The only thing worse than Trump is that we, as a nation, voted him into office. This is independent of political positions, I am ashamed to have such a POS representing me to the world.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #512 on: October 17, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
How can people be highly religious conservatives and still support this dirtbag?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: October 17, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
The crazy part is that he was far from an unknown entity. He spent four decades as a well known racist, misogynist, pathological prevaricator, con-man, and all around shitbag. He was absolutely stomped in the primary and general election in NYC, and the closer you got to his residence the bigger the margins. These are the people who lived with this embarrassment and said, " are you fuckin'  kiddin' me?" When he actually fooled enough idiots  to make it to the ballot. The fact that a significant percentage of the electorate actually believed a single thing he said, is mind blowing. To hear his base still babbling on about how hard he is trying, while being continually blocked by...... Pick an excuse, Dems. Pubs, deep state, or whatever bullshit they are shoveling ATM, is stunning.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: October 17, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »

Very old news. 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:00 AM »

Very old news.

Information is not fresh produce, it doesn't get "old".  I'm sure that I'm not the only one that was unaware that this POS has a history of gawking at 14 YO girls as they are changing their clothes.

On a more "fresh" note, our POS in chief has just told the pregnant, grieving widow of a recently KIA soldier that, "he knew what he signed up for".  FFS, he is forced to fake condolences to the families of soldiers that he couldn't give a rat's ass about, and he can't even handle faking a tiny amount of concern and compassion, in a three minute phone call.  Fitness for the job is no longer a question, this guy is incapable of even faking normal human interaction.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:25 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-told-army-widow-her-032259427.html

Our five-time draft dodger in Chief not only went after McCain for being a POW as well as a gold star family, this is how he comforts the widow whose husband just died.

Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) was in the car with Myeshia Johnson, the pregnant widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, when Trump called her Tuesday and spoke for about five minutes, according to South Florida’s NBC affiliate.

“Sarcastically he said: ‘But you know he must have known what he signed up for,’” Wilson recounted to NBC6. “How could you say that to a grieving widow? I couldn’t believe... and he said it more than once. I said this man has no feelings for anyone. This is a young woman with child who is grieved to her soul.”

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2017, 07:21:37 AM »

I have some hope Wexler! I have had a couple of conversations, specifically regarding climate change, with some die-hard President Trump supporting family members recently.

They have come in quiet moments, during one on one time. And my biggest take away was that their churches tell them there are just as many  scientists who say climate change is not real. They really think there is parity. Also, with my MIL in particular, she was clearly afraid of looking dumb for not understanding the concepts behind climate change. We were having tea when she was visiting and she basically said "I don't want to sound dumb, but can you explain climate change to me?" It broke my heart but I was happy to have the conversation.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »

Our five-time draft dodger in Chief not only went after McCain for being a POW as well as a gold star family, this is how he comforts the widow whose husband just died.

Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) was in the car with Myeshia Johnson, the pregnant widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, when Trump called her Tuesday and spoke for about five minutes, according to South Florida’s NBC affiliate.

“Sarcastically he said: ‘But you know he must have known what he signed up for,’” Wilson recounted to NBC6. “How could you say that to a grieving widow? I couldn’t believe... and he said it more than once. I said this man has no feelings for anyone. This is a young woman with child who is grieved to her soul.”

But hey, at least he doesn't kneel during the anthem. That would be super disrespectful to our military.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #519 on: October 18, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »

But hey, at least he doesn't kneel during the anthem. That would be super disrespectful to our military.

I just saw this too. OMG!! Where is the new low with this person? We all have said something that we regret, but can a person be that dumb and insensitive? That is just... [not even sure what is the proper word here]

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #520 on: October 18, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »

Very old news.

Information is not fresh produce, it doesn't get "old".  I'm sure that I'm not the only one that was unaware that this POS has a history of gawking at 14 YO girls as they are changing their clothes.

On a more "fresh" note, our POS in chief has just told the pregnant, grieving widow of a recently KIA soldier that, "he knew what he signed up for".  FFS, he is forced to fake condolences to the families of soldiers that he couldn't give a rat's ass about, and he can't even handle faking a tiny amount of concern and compassion, in a three minute phone call.  Fitness for the job is no longer a question, this guy is incapable of even faking normal human interaction.

Interesting semantic argument.  I guess "old "and "news" could be considered incompatible words. Never thought of that.

Anyway, I just meant that Trump's history of alleged sexual misconduct was extensively covered by multiple outlets during the campaign, so I don't really understand how anyone following the campaign could remain unaware of any of the details.  Unless you (hypothetical) are a non-consumer of news, which I normally support but find quite irresponsible when it pertains to elections.  Or unless you (hypothetical) are only watching Fox et al.

I really think we've entered the 'no bottom' era of politics, where disgusting specimens like Trump are not just covertly, but overtly admired and rewarded for their behavior.  What's incredible is, as bad as Trump is, presumably we will eventually elect someone worse.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #521 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
I wish someone would airdrop Trump into some hotspot like Afghanistan so he could experience life without anyone helping him. He has the eat with the soldiers, live with the soldiers, fight with the soldiers and carry his own weight.

The guy isn't worth a nickel.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »

Interesting semantic argument.  I guess "old "and "news" could be considered incompatible words. Never thought of that.

Anyway, I just meant that Trump's history of alleged sexual misconduct was extensively covered by multiple outlets during the campaign, so I don't really understand how anyone following the campaign could remain unaware of any of the details.  Unless you (hypothetical) are a non-consumer of news, which I normally support but find quite irresponsible when it pertains to elections.  Or unless you (hypothetical) are only watching Fox et al.

I'm thinking there are two separate audiences when it comes to rehashing old news. First, here on the forum, it seems that there is a substantial body of membership that is "foreign" in that they are not US (or even Canadian) citizens, and didn't really see the need to follow the history of this fuck-up, prior to his primary win, and probably didn't spend much though on the subject after that point, as "why would the Americans be THAT stupid?".  The other group would be the voters who thought, "why not? what can go wrong? DC needed a good purge, and this may be the guy to do it. " These folks obviously didn't spend enough time figuring out exactly who DJT is, before voting. Therefore there is never a bad time to rehash old news about a sick fuck that gawks at nearly nude little girls.

I really think we've entered the 'no bottom' era of politics, where disgusting specimens like Trump are not just covertly, but overtly admired and rewarded for their behavior.  What's incredible is, as bad as Trump is, presumably we will eventually elect someone worse.
[/quote]

Sure there is a small minority that will always admire a troll, and lowlife like trump, but my guess is that they will not see another of his caliber in power, on the scale of a president, anytime soon. The republicans spent a long time encouraging this type of behavior, as they couldn't see any down side. They could of rewritten the rules of their primary process and stopped him there, but didn't think he would succeed. Hopefully they have now set a course for their own destruction. My guess is that Bannon and his minions will be quite successful in doing massive damage to the party in this next cycle, and maybe even cleave it in half. At worst they will have enough traction and have bolstered the Dems. enough, that the legislative branch will be even more gridlocked than it is now. At best they will of created a pair of republican parties, one as pathetic as it's current version, and another that full of bat shit crazy, fire breathing Bannon disciples that have zero interest in doing anything but slashing and burning.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: October 18, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
How can people be highly religious conservatives and still support this dirtbag?

I saw on one interview, asking a religious Trump supporter about grab him by the pussy, the person deflected to, but Bill Clinton (and while what Bill did was not appropriate at LEAST it was consensual!), them explaining Bill Clinton is not running, but Hillary, she's married to him. Finally the lady said "God is going to use him to do good". WTF does that even mean?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #524 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »

I'm thinking there are two separate audiences when it comes to rehashing old news. First, here on the forum, it seems that there is a substantial body of membership that is "foreign" in that they are not US (or even Canadian) citizens, and didn't really see the need to follow the history of this fuck-up, prior to his primary win, and probably didn't spend much though on the subject after that point, as "why would the Americans be THAT stupid?".  The other group would be the voters who thought, "why not? what can go wrong? DC needed a good purge, and this may be the guy to do it. " These folks obviously didn't spend enough time figuring out exactly who DJT is, before voting. Therefore there is never a bad time to rehash old news about a sick fuck that gawks at nearly nude little girls.

Sure there is a small minority that will always admire a troll, and lowlife like trump, but my guess is that they will not see another of his caliber in power, on the scale of a president, anytime soon. The republicans spent a long time encouraging this type of behavior, as they couldn't see any down side. They could of rewritten the rules of their primary process and stopped him there, but didn't think he would succeed. Hopefully they have now set a course for their own destruction. My guess is that Bannon and his minions will be quite successful in doing massive damage to the party in this next cycle, and maybe even cleave it in half. At worst they will have enough traction and have bolstered the Dems. enough, that the legislative branch will be even more gridlocked than it is now. At best they will of created a pair of republican parties, one as pathetic as it's current version, and another that full of bat shit crazy, fire breathing Bannon disciples that have zero interest in doing anything but slashing and burning.
[/quote]

I'm not as hopeful as you are. I think the Republican agenda is going to make this kind of thing more likely, and more successful strategy: pit people against each other, make any political decision and us vs them deal, reduce safety nets so people feel even more desperate and rejecting of helping anyone other than themselves, reduce education funding so the populace is less educated and informed, have people mistrust the media or have a siphon hose of so MUCH irrelevant crap in the media (plus fake news on the internet) people just tune out. It's idiocracy all over again.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #525 on: October 18, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »

Sadly, just another example of his complete ability to demonstrate, or even emulate, empathy. I feel for the families of the deceased who will likely now be forced into public view. I see no upside to this.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #526 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
Trump is what you call an alpha...get used to it.  People expect a president to be some feeble soft spoken beta male.  A lot of people cant handle a real alpha in power.

Is Trump the smartest person...absolutely not...far from it.  But he has somehow figured out a way to get his way throughout life.  He somehow managed to accumulate a lot of property/money.  This doesnt happen by accident or to dumb people.  Yes he had connections from his father and whatever amount of loan was given to him.  Doesnt matter.  How many rich people have you heard who had 100's of millions and wasted it all?

Everyone needs to get over it.  He is the POTUS.  Killary lost.  The libtards had an ace in the hole with berny and the entire party conspired against him because they wanted killary in power.  Backfired big time...lesson learned.  And to all the celebrities and protesters running their mouths...thank you!!  You are going to elect trump for a 2nd term with your whining and bitching.  Please keep it up!!

[MOD NOTE: <xxxxx>-tards, huh?  Cut that out, thank you]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:19:06 AM by FrugalToque »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #527 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
Trump is what you call an alpha...get used to it.  People expect a president to be some feeble soft spoken beta male.  A lot of people cant handle a real alpha in power.

Is Trump the smartest person...absolutely not...far from it.  But he has somehow figured out a way to get his way throughout life.  He somehow managed to accumulate a lot of property/money.  This doesnt happen by accident or to dumb people.  Yes he had connections from his father and whatever amount of loan was given to him.  Doesnt matter.  How many rich people have you heard who had 100's of millions and wasted it all?

Everyone needs to get over it.  He is the POTUS.  Killary lost.  The libtards had an ace in the hole with berny and the entire party conspired against him because they wanted killary in power.  Backfired big time...lesson learned.  And to all the celebrities and protesters running their mouths...thank you!!  You are going to elect trump for a 2nd term with your whining and bitching.  Please keep it up!!

By all means, keep embarrassing yourself in public.  It's entertaining.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »

LOL. I never knew alpha was a synonym for idiot. Thanks for the clarification.

Trump inherited his money. If he had just invested it in an index fund, he'd have more money than he does right now. He's actually BAD at it.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: October 19, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »
But he has somehow figured out a way to get his way throughout life.  He somehow managed to accumulate a lot of property/money.  This doesnt happen by accident or to dumb people.

Over the next decade, as Donald J. Trump assumed an increasingly prominent role in the business, the company’s practice of turning away potential black tenants was painstakingly documented by activists and organizations that viewed equal housing as the next frontier in the civil rights struggle.

The Justice Department undertook its own investigation and, in 1973, sued Trump Management for discriminating against blacks. Both Fred Trump, the company’s chairman, and Donald Trump, its president, were named as defendants.

Many people get rich without violating the law.

Here's the crux of how he went bankrupt his casino (which is literally designed for the house to win...ask Vegas):

Mr. Trump assembled his casino empire by borrowing money at such high interest rates — after telling regulators he would not — that the businesses had almost no chance to succeed.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: October 19, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/18/politics/donald-trump-personal-check-soldier/index.html

#45 is Michael Scott in that episode where his chickens came home to roost about promising to pay for a bunch of kids college education.

Trump only paid a gold star family $25k because he got caught and called out on it.  That's his shtick.  At least he followed through unlike Michael Scott, but damn...four months later and on the day the report broke about not paying.  Hmm.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: October 19, 2017, 10:11:51 AM »

This. This right here. This is exactly the bridge to how authoritarian governments take power.

People are attracted to a caricature of power without realizing how power is actually effectively exerted in the world. Or, as Theodore Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Trump speaks loudly and doesn't even understand how the stick works.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #532 on: October 19, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »

Trump inherited his money. If he had just invested it in an index fund, he'd have more money than he does right now. He's actually BAD at it.

hindsight is 20/20...easy to say that now.  Yes he did inherit some money...lets say he inherited 100,000,000.  He still took that and bought a bunch of real estate...some bankrupted...others didnt...and now has over 1 billion...although he claims in like 10 billion which is prob nonesense.  Again...hindsight is 20/20...if he invested 100,000,000 40 years ago he'd probably have 500 billion by now.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #533 on: October 19, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »

This. This right here. This is exactly the bridge to how authoritarian governments take power.

People are attracted to a caricature of power without realizing how power is actually effectively exerted in the world. Or, as Theodore Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Trump speaks loudly and doesn't even understand how the stick works.

We're barely humans at this point in evolution.  We've only been around for what...100,000 years?  Thats nothing in terms of how long the universe has existed.  We still have monkey dna...we still look for that alpha chimp to tell us what to do.  We dont even know its happening but its hard coded in our dna...thats just how it is.  Maybe in another 100,000 years if we're still around we'll have evolved past that...but for now it stands unfortunately.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #534 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
You guys dont understand...I dont even support Trump.  I think he's an idiot...but he's still an alpha.  He's manipulative in the way he speaks...its already been broken down numerous times on why its so effective. 

And I really believe he will win the 2020 election with ease...assuming he decides to run a 2nd term or he doesnt get impeached. 

The democrats conspired against bernie in the primaries.  How corrupt can you get?  The party didnt even care what the american people wanted...THEY didnt want him!  And it lost them the election.  They assumed all bernie supporters would magically vote for hillary...didnt happen. 

Please note that im more liberal than conservative...always been.  But seeing how people have reacted towards trump as president has made me embarrassed to call myself a democrat.  My party the liberals want to strip the country of free speech...and its happening right before our eyes and people are more concerned about what bathroom people use.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: October 19, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
The democrats conspired against bernie in the primaries.  How corrupt can you get? 

Basically the entirety of your campaign stuff could have colluded with a foreign adversary to influence the election, and then you could fire the Director of the FBI for investigating it.  I mean...Jesus have you been under a rock the last year?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #536 on: October 19, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »

hindsight is 20/20...easy to say that now.  Yes he did inherit some money...lets say he inherited 100,000,000.  He still took that and bought a bunch of real estate...some bankrupted...others didnt...and now has over 1 billion...although he claims in like 10 billion which is prob nonesense.  Again...hindsight is 20/20...if he invested 100,000,000 40 years ago he'd probably have 500 billion by now.

LOL

Yes.

But basically, he didn't "somehow" manage to "accumulate" a lot of property/money, as you said. He received money from his wealthy father, and through his father's money, influence, and connections (and apparently through a long history of bilking people and reneging on agreements, not to mention a number of bankruptcies), has managed to hold on to some of it.

No, it didn't happen "by accident" because he was born rich with an influential parent in the same business as he went into.

But a non-dumb person who was born with all that money and power backing him, who lied and stole from others and cheated the system to get what he wanted, ought to have done a little better than not even keeping up with an index fund.

The guy is not good at what he does. And he is an absolutely atrocious president. And as a five-time draft dodger, he's not exactly a very successful alpha, either. And the only people he seems to have managed to convince otherwise are voluntarily closing their eyes to all of it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:34:14 AM by Kris »

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #537 on: October 19, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
The democrats conspired against bernie in the primaries.  How corrupt can you get? 

Basically the entirety of your campaign stuff could have colluded with a foreign adversary to influence the election, and then you could fire the Director of the FBI for investigating it.  I mean...Jesus have you been under a rock the last year?

You can deflect or call it whatever you want...what I said happened.  They had a home run but decided to strike out with that evil woman.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: October 19, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »

You can deflect or call it whatever you want...what I said happened.  They had a home run but decided to strike out with that evil woman.

Super delegates are a part of the legal election process.

Firing an FBI Director for investigating you....well...

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #539 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »

Everyone needs to get over it.  He is the POTUS.

[MOD NOTE: <xxxxx>-tards, huh?  Cut that out, thank you]

No absolutely not!

Alpha does not means he can insult a widow who just lost her husband who served the country and paid the ultimate price. I do not care if he is the president, what he did (and a lot of other things that he did) was wrong. President is not above the law, this is not North Korea.

Everyone should absolutely NOT get over it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:43:43 AM by sequoia »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
I think the Democrats should be glad Trump is President.  No one else would be this ineffective.  If Pence was in all sorts of stuff would be passing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
I think the Democrats should be glad Trump is President.  No one else would be this ineffective.  If Pence was in all sorts of stuff would be passing.

Maybe white, straight, middle-class, Christian-identifying Democrats -- without friends of other races/orientations/religions -- who have decent healthcare and not a lot to lose from the effects of this presidency in the short to mid term.

Everyone else, though? I think there are an awful lot of reasons for them to dislike what the Trump administration is already "accomplishing." Legally, but also culturally.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
We're now discussing "alpha" males? Seriously? What is this, a PUA forum? Does anyone really think like that besides a bunch of boys trading "secrets" of how to belittle women?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
We're now discussing "alpha" males? Seriously? What is this, a PUA forum? Does anyone really think like that besides a bunch of boys trading "secrets" of how to belittle women?

Trump supporters apparently?

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »
President Trump on Thursday gave himself a perfect rating for his response to the hurricane that devastated Puerto Rico.
“I would give myself a 10,” Trump said when asked by reporters how he would score his efforts, on a one to 10 scale.

LOL - so humble.  Every few hours a new chuckle.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: October 19, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
You guys dont understand...I dont even support Trump.
Really? Because earlier you talked about thanking some folks for getting him re-elected in 2020. Remember?
And to all the celebrities and protesters running their mouths...thank you!!  You are going to elect trump for a 2nd term with your whining and bitching.  Please keep it up!!

He's manipulative in the way he speaks...its already been broken down numerous times on why its so effective. 
Not sure what you mean by effective. I suppose if you despise people of color it's effective. But he has the lowest approval rating of any President in history, still. He is routinely called out for his blatant lies, racism, sexism and bullying. He can't pass anything. He can't even answer simple questions without trailing off into some sort of word salad. So I have no ideal what you mean by effective. 

But seeing how people have reacted towards trump as president has made me embarrassed to call myself a democrat.  My party the liberals want to strip the country of free speech...and its happening right before our eyes and people are more concerned about what bathroom people use.
Again, that doesn't jive with your earlier desire to insult all liberals by calling them a derogatory name. You singled out protesters as bitchy and whiny while now claiming free speech is in Jeopardy. Trump has called for people to be fired because they utilize free speech. He has sought and continues to attack the press at every turn. I mean I could go on and on. Perhaps we should all just get over it and  accept everything. Which of course means suppressing our desire to speak out against obvious injustices and oppression. How ironic!

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #546 on: October 19, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
There is no citation required to suggest with probability >95% that the sitting President knows more about experimental military technology than random commenters on the internet. It boggles the mind to suggest otherwise, and it is not an extraordinary claim.

I stopped reading your sources with Vox, and their first line. I'm familiar with the "$12 health insurance" line. I don't buy the criticism. Vox almost has the moment of clarity here, bust misses it:
The idea of paying a small annual premium up until a given age, at which point you have the insurance policy free and clear, roughly corresponds to how a limited payment life insurance plan works. These plans are useful tax avoidance devices for extremely wealthy individuals, which is perhaps why Trump has them at top of mind, but it has nothing to do with health insurance.
Yes, that's exactly the point. Anyone who follows conservative health care economics closely will know that is what they want as a minimalist solution to the problem of pre-existing conditions. This is not evidence of Trump's ignorance, this is evidence of Vox's ignorance. It is absolutely evidence of Trump being a dumbass since he worded it so poorly, but clearly Trump has advisers, and clearly Trump picks up at least some bit of his adviser's advice, or else he couldn't have made this statement at all.

Anyone who has the prior that THEY know more about experimental military tech than the sitting President is, in all probability, wrong.

I think you are working double-time to fill in the blanks in Trump's gaping lack of knowledge.  Which, why?  To make yourself feel better about your vote?  In 20 years, no one will quite remember why HILLARYCLINTONISTHEDEVILPIZZAGATEBENGHAZI-in fact, I predict that she'll rehabilitate her image quite well, which she has always tended to do after facing public losses.  But, I think that admitted Trump voters will be pretty scarce after this disaster of an administration.  I mean, we are already at the fucking moron stage (the feel-good news story we needed last week).  Just like no one wistfully talks about their enthusiasm for pulling the lever for George Wallace, I think that our country will have a collective case of amnesia affecting 60 million people pretty soon.  So, you can probably just lie to your grandkids about it like everyone else will.

I'm not particularly concerned what my grand-children will think of me. There's no point in trying to guess social norms, what, 80 years in the future? I don't believe in Whiggish historiography either, so I don't buy into any "right side of history" arguments.

On the other hand, current US culture has a massive anti-Trump streak that strikes me as irrational. Trump being an idiot and a jackass does not justify statements like "Trump is a dictator" and "Trump knows less than the average internet commenter."

That's even true in cases where he makes decisions that are probably wrong. Trump will know more about the specifics on nuclear policy and probably more about health-care policy at this point than I do, even if I am highly confident he makes dumb decisions regarding them. Certainly Trump knows more about North Korea than I do.

I would say that Trump absolutely has more access to the information you describe above. However, he is not one of the presidents who spends a lot of time delving into things intellectually. Reports are that he simply doesn't read, and may not have taken the time to read a whole book in his entire adult life post-college. I am not actually certain that your assertion that Trump, simply by virtue of being president, spontaneously has more subject knowledge on all of these issues. Access and people who desperately want to convey that to him? Absolutely. Demonstrated interest in applying himself to deep intellectual learning required to grasp these complicated issues with nuance? I don't see any evidence of that.

You don't have to dive into things intellectually to have more understanding and knowledge of an issue than the typical voter, or the typical internet commenter. These two things are not related. It also really doesn't have to do with understanding full issues with the nuance you might want someone to have.

Knowledge and wisdom aren't the same thing. You can have knowledge and zero wisdom. You can be wise and have little knowledge.

The wisest internet commenter does not have the knowledge that a sitting President does when it comes to the nuclear arsenal or experimental military commenter. This prior should pretty much be absolute in every voter's mind. It does not require you to either agree with or support Presidential decisions.

Most of this thread is entirely about daily outrages, which really just reinforces my prior that most people are debating the red-colored shed.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »
There is no citation required to suggest with probability >95% that the sitting President knows more about experimental military technology than random commenters on the internet. It boggles the mind to suggest otherwise, and it is not an extraordinary claim.

I stopped reading your sources with Vox, and their first line. I'm familiar with the "$12 health insurance" line. I don't buy the criticism. Vox almost has the moment of clarity here, bust misses it:
The idea of paying a small annual premium up until a given age, at which point you have the insurance policy free and clear, roughly corresponds to how a limited payment life insurance plan works. These plans are useful tax avoidance devices for extremely wealthy individuals, which is perhaps why Trump has them at top of mind, but it has nothing to do with health insurance.
Yes, that's exactly the point. Anyone who follows conservative health care economics closely will know that is what they want as a minimalist solution to the problem of pre-existing conditions. This is not evidence of Trump's ignorance, this is evidence of Vox's ignorance. It is absolutely evidence of Trump being a dumbass since he worded it so poorly, but clearly Trump has advisers, and clearly Trump picks up at least some bit of his adviser's advice, or else he couldn't have made this statement at all.

Anyone who has the prior that THEY know more about experimental military tech than the sitting President is, in all probability, wrong.

I think you are working double-time to fill in the blanks in Trump's gaping lack of knowledge.  Which, why?  To make yourself feel better about your vote?  In 20 years, no one will quite remember why HILLARYCLINTONISTHEDEVILPIZZAGATEBENGHAZI-in fact, I predict that she'll rehabilitate her image quite well, which she has always tended to do after facing public losses.  But, I think that admitted Trump voters will be pretty scarce after this disaster of an administration.  I mean, we are already at the fucking moron stage (the feel-good news story we needed last week).  Just like no one wistfully talks about their enthusiasm for pulling the lever for George Wallace, I think that our country will have a collective case of amnesia affecting 60 million people pretty soon.  So, you can probably just lie to your grandkids about it like everyone else will.

I'm not particularly concerned what my grand-children will think of me. There's no point in trying to guess social norms, what, 80 years in the future? I don't believe in Whiggish historiography either, so I don't buy into any "right side of history" arguments.

On the other hand, current US culture has a massive anti-Trump streak that strikes me as irrational. Trump being an idiot and a jackass does not justify statements like "Trump is a dictator" and "Trump knows less than the average internet commenter."

That's even true in cases where he makes decisions that are probably wrong. Trump will know more about the specifics on nuclear policy and probably more about health-care policy at this point than I do, even if I am highly confident he makes dumb decisions regarding them. Certainly Trump knows more about North Korea than I do.

I would say that Trump absolutely has more access to the information you describe above. However, he is not one of the presidents who spends a lot of time delving into things intellectually. Reports are that he simply doesn't read, and may not have taken the time to read a whole book in his entire adult life post-college. I am not actually certain that your assertion that Trump, simply by virtue of being president, spontaneously has more subject knowledge on all of these issues. Access and people who desperately want to convey that to him? Absolutely. Demonstrated interest in applying himself to deep intellectual learning required to grasp these complicated issues with nuance? I don't see any evidence of that.

You don't have to dive into things intellectually to have more understanding and knowledge of an issue than the typical voter, or the typical internet commenter. These two things are not related. It also really doesn't have to do with understanding full issues with the nuance you might want someone to have.

Knowledge and wisdom aren't the same thing. You can have knowledge and zero wisdom. You can be wise and have little knowledge.

The wisest internet commenter does not have the knowledge that a sitting President does when it comes to the nuclear arsenal or experimental military commenter. This prior should pretty much be absolute in every voter's mind. It does not require you to either agree with or support Presidential decisions.

Most of this thread is entirely about daily outrages, which really just reinforces my prior that most people are debating the red-colored shed.
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/13/505348507/what-exactly-is-the-presidents-daily-brief-and-why-is-it-important

Using the average internet commenter is perhaps not a good metric. Maybe the press in the briefing rooms is a better metric. Being able to incorporate words heard from advisors into word salad is not the same as knowledge either.

.. but yes, most internet commenting is red-shedding so to speak. Absolutely. But I remain to be convinced that he is taking in knowledge or demonstrating wisdom.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »

I would counter that most of the Trump Presidency has been about this so called 'bike shed effect' (appropriately ironic name for a MMM forum).  Trump admitted that he doesn't understand healthcare, but ACA is a 'disaster' and something must be done so he signs a couple executive orders throwing insurers into chaos, as opposed to working to generate a real solution to the central issues.  Every time significant issues arise (global warming, a nuclear North Korea, Puerto Rico devastated, Iran's nuclear ambitions, DACA, Vegas shooting, civil strife) we get renewed focus on the 'fake' media, inauguration crowd size, Comey being corrupt, Hillary needing to be investigated, the affront of football players kneeling...

How long can this circus go on before Americans see that the price of admission is too high? 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »

I would counter that most of the Trump Presidency has been about this so called 'bike shed effect' (appropriately ironic name for a MMM forum).  Trump admitted that he doesn't understand healthcare, but ACA is a 'disaster' and something must be done so he signs a couple executive orders throwing insurers into chaos, as opposed to working to generate a real solution to the central issues.  Every time significant issues arise (global warming, a nuclear North Korea, Puerto Rico devastated, Iran's nuclear ambitions, DACA, Vegas shooting, civil strife) we get renewed focus on the 'fake' media, inauguration crowd size, Comey being corrupt, Hillary needing to be investigated, the affront of football players kneeling...

How long can this circus go on before Americans see that the price of admission is too high?

+1

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!