Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309375 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #4400 on: October 11, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
I'm worried about the opposite: if the democrats screw things up in November and cannot deliver the majority in the House, what kind of unquenchable rage will consume liberals? This may not be the most likely outcome, but it is certainly somewhat likely.

Conservatives have made peace with the fact that a bit of their hold on power will loosen then; even when the Senate seemed like it was in play (I don't think it is now), they knew they would still have the President, so they weren't worried.

You're worried about unquenchable rage from the party of human rights, gun control, and healthcare for all?

Okay then.

<anecdotal stories snipped>

I think talltexan is justified as he said it wasn't the most likely but somewhat

Next up...

It's anecdotal time! It's where we use one small example to make wild assumptions about millions and millions of people.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4401 on: October 11, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
I'm worried about the opposite: if the democrats screw things up in November and cannot deliver the majority in the House, what kind of unquenchable rage will consume liberals? This may not be the most likely outcome, but it is certainly somewhat likely.

Conservatives have made peace with the fact that a bit of their hold on power will loosen then; even when the Senate seemed like it was in play (I don't think it is now), they knew they would still have the President, so they weren't worried.

You're worried about unquenchable rage from the party of human rights, gun control, and healthcare for all?

Okay then.

I think talltexan is justified as he said it wasn't the most likely but somewhat

Next up...

It's anecdotal time! It's where we use one small example to make wild assumptions about millions and millions of people.

Yep. This.

Here is a paper that shows that the extremes on both sides more or less do not make up a majority: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a70a7c3010027736a22740f/t/5bbcea6b7817f7bf7342b718/1539107467397/hidden_tribes_report-2.pdf

And making assumptions based on the other side's extreme group really just shows that you are just a member of the opposite extreme.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4402 on: October 11, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
I do think many of the conservatives in my circle had made their peace with the fact that Clinton was the most likely President for a while. But they used Trump's victory as an excuse to claim that--after Clinton had highlighted the importance of a peaceful acceptance of defeat in their debates--liberals were generally being sore losers (with Clinton chief among them), what with their hysteria and fears that they would all get deported and the economy would collapse and such.

Didn't you earlier make the comment that a Democratic senate would likely crash the market?  :P

I may have said that: Elizabeth Warren will become chair of the banking committee in a Democratic Senate. She has no love for banks, and will apply a lot of pressure to whatever honorable people still work for CFPB to tighten things on businesses. Money could well rotate from bank stocks to other companies. This is not a high-probability event at this point.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4403 on: October 11, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
I do think many of the conservatives in my circle had made their peace with the fact that Clinton was the most likely President for a while. But they used Trump's victory as an excuse to claim that--after Clinton had highlighted the importance of a peaceful acceptance of defeat in their debates--liberals were generally being sore losers (with Clinton chief among them), what with their hysteria and fears that they would all get deported and the economy would collapse and such.

Didn't you earlier make the comment that a Democratic senate would likely crash the market?  :P

I may have said that: Elizabeth Warren will become chair of the banking committee in a Democratic Senate. She has no love for banks, and will apply a lot of pressure to whatever honorable people still work for CFPB to tighten things on businesses. Money could well rotate from bank stocks to other companies. This is not a high-probability event at this point.

I'm pretty sure that's not what you said (although it may well have been what you meant to say).

While I have a lot of distaste for what Trump is doing, I'm actually concerned about the Democrats over-performing this cycle and causing a stock market correction. As long as Republicans hold power, large corporations will be profitable.

:P

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4404 on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »

Okay then.

Next up...

I particularly like the 3rd anecdote where the cops neglected to inform the protestors of emergency vehicles in the vicinity as they were supposed to do. It's like the poster scraped the bottom of the barrel trying to find support for their biased agenda.

I don't quite get the shooting anecdote though. I guess shootings prove Dems don't want gun control?  Wtf?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:00:58 PM by MasterStache »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4405 on: October 12, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's not what you said (although it may well have been what you meant to say).

While I have a lot of distaste for what Trump is doing, I'm actually concerned about the Democrats over-performing this cycle and causing a stock market correction. As long as Republicans hold power, large corporations will be profitable.

That is an excellent response. I think a certain probability that Democrats will take over again is priced into the market already (I thought that when I made the original post, too). Perhaps when I wrote "crash", you were thinking 50%, and when I wrote "crash" I was thinking 3%-7%, although the House alone--if the Democrats can still win that--shouldn't have the same impact as both chambers would.

Is it really controversial that Republicans enact policies that make corporations more profitable in the short-term?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4406 on: October 12, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »

That is an excellent response. I think a certain probability that Democrats will take over again is priced into the market already (I thought that when I made the original post, too). Perhaps when I wrote "crash", you were thinking 50%, and when I wrote "crash" I was thinking 3%-7%, although the House alone--if the Democrats can still win that--shouldn't have the same impact as both chambers would.

Is it really controversial that Republicans enact policies that make corporations more profitable in the short-term?

I don't think that the party in charge usually has a significant impact on profits (although historically the stock market has done better under Democratic presidents - https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlazaroff/2016/07/26/democrats-vs-republicans-who-is-better-for-the-stock-market/#5c8831f4239d).

The current Republican president has gone out of his way to do things that will negatively impact many corporations and companies in the short to medium term.  Things like starting trade wars, and making it harder/scarier for talented tech people to come to the US, ending net neutrality . . . there are many that immediately come to mind.  Removal and loosening of a variety of regulations and science denialism will hurt companies in the long term.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4408 on: October 12, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
  • Trade War: I agree that this is not what we want, but it's unclear to me when SP500 really dropped to account for it
  • Making it harder for talented tech people to come to US: it takes a long time for this to start being deleterious
  • Science Denialism: I think this is mostly about climate change, where the short term is a totally different story than the long term
  • Net neutrality: some corporations lose from this, but in the short term, weren't guys like ATT and Time Warner big winners here?

I believe that the Trump administration is wrong on all of these dimensions, but the short-term impact is not strong enough to result in the kind of negative feedback that would cause them to change their policies.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4409 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
  • Making it harder for talented tech people to come to US: it takes a long time for this to start being deleterious[/l][/l]
This has already impacted my company (Fortune 300 financial services). We had to open up an office in Toronto because it's easier and cheaper to put foreign talent there than it is to bring them into the U.S. This is also going to be a huge issue for cybersecurity very soon. There's already a hiring crisis for cybersecurity--a field we do not want to be behind the rest of  the world in, but already are. Our elections and State Department emails aren't the only things being attacked--critical infrastructure is also a huge and very vulnerable target.[/list]

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4410 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
  • Making it harder for talented tech people to come to US: it takes a long time for this to start being deleterious
it's not only talended tech people, it's talended anyone. Doctors, scientists, and even military members with language skills
  • Science Denialism: I think this is mostly about climate change, where the short term is a totally different story than the long term
The science denial can extend to anything. Two examples I can think of now are sex ed and vaccinations.
  • Net neutrality: some corporations lose from this, but in the short term, weren't guys like ATT and Time Warner big winners here?
Yay large corporations? I think one idea was that it'll be harder for small start ups and innovators to pay for the same bandwidth
[/list]

I believe that the Trump administration is wrong on all of these dimensions, but the short-term impact is not strong enough to result in the kind of negative feedback that would cause them to change their policies.

Does any type of negative feedback affect this administration?

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #4411 on: October 13, 2018, 02:48:55 AM »
    Yay large corporations? I think one idea was that it'll be harder for small start ups and innovators to pay for the same bandwidth
    [/list]

I can't find the article but someone pointed out that the giants in the digital market can now quickly copy anything their competition does. (Facebook copying Snapchat.) The odds that there will be another "Google", "Facebook" or "Netflix" that disrupts the market is small.

I agree net neutrality is important but if established platforms can do what innovators do, people won't switch due to habit.

So now you have people abandoning platforms because of policies rather than any competitive innovation. (YouTube demonetizing creators causing creators to leave.)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4412 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
    I can't find the article but someone pointed out that the giants in the digital market can now quickly copy anything their competition does. (Facebook copying Snapchat.) The odds that there will be another "Google", "Facebook" or "Netflix" that disrupts the market is small.
    It's easy to tell which new technology or method will disrupt currently-dominant companies' business the most: just listen for the one they argue needs regulation. Remember Napster? Remember Sony once tried to stop VCRs?

gentmach

• Bristles
    « Reply #4413 on: October 13, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »
    It's easy to tell which new technology or method will disrupt currently-dominant companies' business the most: just listen for the one they argue needs regulation. Remember Napster? Remember Sony once tried to stop VCRs?

New technology is a different animal. We were discussing services.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #4414 on: October 13, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »

Kyle's right though.    Incumbents demanding regulation are a good pointer to market disruption.

gentmach

• Bristles
    « Reply #4415 on: October 13, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »

Kyle's right though.    Incumbents demanding regulation are a good pointer to market disruption.

Yes. He is right. But what can a new social network do that Facebook can't? Can you do something with streaming technology that Netflix can't do?

Regulation comes up if you can't do what others are doing. In this case, entrenched companies can find a way to add it to their services.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4416 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
    I'd prefer market forces to sort out the winners and losers. What did Facebook accomplish that Myspace couldn't? Why did Google win the search wars over Yahoo, AOL, altavista, etc? Often these regulations simply protect revenue streams and artificially jack prices up for consumers. Cable companies *could* have figured out a Netflix style streaming service, but they didn't. If Comcast or TimeWarner or Dish decided to kill Netflix in it's infancy, consumers would be stuck with the same crappy expensive choices as always. My internet provider keeps sending me promos for a 2 year cable TV package for $22 a month. That's downright impressive and am tempted. The market forces at work here. Innovation eventually serves legacy companies as well as they're forced to become efficient rarher than big, bloated and wasteful of their resources.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4417 on: October 13, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
    But what can a new social network do that Facebook can't? Can you do something with streaming technology that Netflix can't do?
    If we knew, then we'd do it and become bigger than Facebook ;)

But suffice to say that the pattern of the electronic economy thus far has been rapid rises and rapid falls. For various reasons, it just seems to be less stable than other parts of the economy.

Regulation comes up if you can't do what others are doing. In this case, entrenched companies can find a way to add it to their services.
    They need not be unable, they may be unwilling to do so. For example, Kodak, despite having invented the digital camera, was unwilling to enter the digital imaging market. When others did so and Kodak declined, Kodak responded with patent lawsuits, saying, "Actually you're just using stuff we invented anyway." This didn't work, of course, and they had to sell off chunks of the company to avoid bankruptcy.

So it's not just asking for new regulations, but patent lawsuits and the like. A certain amount of that is always going on in the economy, of course, but a careful listening will hear tones of desperate pleading; large corporations are essentially communist in their outlook, and expect state support of their monopoly/oligopoly. Most Western countries do strongly support oligopolies, but there's only so much they can do.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
    « Reply #4418 on: October 15, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
    Apparently, it is not idle speculation to predict that the Trump administration will be a veritable Renaissance for the arts. (/s) This apparently is just outside the Oval Office.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/15/president-trump-new-painting-white-house-republican

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4419 on: October 15, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »
    Weird.  I'd have pegged Nixon for Trump's right hand man, not on his left.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
    • Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4420 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »

Could someone do a person by person ID on these characters?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4421 on: October 15, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »

Bush Sr, Gerald Ford, Teddy Roosevelt
    Regan, Ike, Trump
    Bush Jr, Lincoln, Nixon

Interestingly, Phil Coulson appears to be in the crowd to the right of Roosevelt:
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:23:03 PM by GuitarStv »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #4422 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »

Regan, Ike, Trump
    Bush Jr, Lincoln, Nixon

Interestingly, Phil Coulson appears to be in the crowd to the right of Roosevelt:

He was pretty sure someone from HYDRA was present...

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #4423 on: October 15, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »

Regan, Ike, Trump
    Bush Jr, Lincoln, Nixon

I think that's supposed to be Coolidge.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4424 on: October 15, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »

Both were crooked, but complete opposites. Nixon was serious about everything he did, and truly came from a hard scrabble beginning. Ultimately what did him in was probably the perpetual chip on his shoulder. Whereas everything Trump has achieved was as a result of being born to wealth and fraud. If Trump had a place it's be leaning against one of the pillars looking intently at the guys actually getting their hands dirty. Doesn't belong at the table with Abe, Teddy,  or Ike.

Looks like Grover Cleveland and perhaps Ulysses Grant in the background there too. Interesting painting, still trying to figure out the woman(?) in the left background.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:32:25 PM by Johnez »

sol

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4425 on: October 15, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »

I agree.  I see Grant, Harding, and Hoover in the background, too.

That painting is an abomination.  Trump's not the heir to the republican party, he's it's assassin.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #4426 on: October 15, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »
    In case the painting reminded you of dogs playing poker, there is a whole series of these paintings, including playing poker:

and playing pool (with an image of the playing poker on the wall in the background):

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:35:25 PM by Glenstache »

CindyBS

• Bristles
    « Reply #4427 on: October 15, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
    Apparently, it is not idle speculation to predict that the Trump administration will be a veritable Renaissance for the arts. (/s) This apparently is just outside the Oval Office.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/15/president-trump-new-painting-white-house-republican

Dwight Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander of Europe during WWII, five star general who devoted his life to military service and protecting the United States depicted as an equal to cadet bone spurs with his 5 draft dodges whose "personal Vietnam" was to avoid herpes in the 70's.  George HW Bush, a WWII vet, doesn't even get a seat at the table. Give me an effin' break.  What an insult to our vets. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4428 on: October 15, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »

Regan, Ike, Trump
    Bush Jr, Lincoln, Nixon

Looks more like coulson to me.  :P

crispy

« Reply #4429 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »

There's a Democrat version, too.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #4430 on: October 15, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
    What does it mean if I unironically like that painting?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4431 on: October 15, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »

This post has been reported to the moderators.

sol

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4432 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »

That you will never release your tax returns? 

That painting needs a caption.  How about "And then I said 'I'm the least racist person ever.'"

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4433 on: October 15, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
    Representative government my ass.
    You’d think this country was populated only by old, white men.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4434 on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »
    Interesting painting, still trying to figure out the woman(?) in the left background.
    I read this on twitter and thought it was an interesting take. :)
    "The most interesting element for me is the woman in a male only painting. Is she watching, or is she walking towards them? Because if it’s the latter, it changes the whole meaning. She could represent accountability. Which would be a lovely satirical plot twist."

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4435 on: October 16, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
    The guy in the left background sure looks like Grant. When I first saw the painting, I wondered to myself whether all of the minor GOP Presidents from 1870-1930 would be included. Democrats like Cleveland (two times) and Wilson (two times) had a tough time winning the office during that period. There is no one with Chester Arthur's distinctive mutton chops, although there's a guy in the background at 3 o'clock who could be either Harding or McKinley.

I could not imagine anything complimentary about including Harding in such a painting. He was filthy, utterly corrupt.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
    • Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4436 on: October 16, 2018, 05:57:36 AM »
    Interesting painting, still trying to figure out the woman(?) in the left background.
    "The most interesting element for me is the woman in a male only painting. Is she watching, or is she walking towards them? Because if it’s the latter, it changes the whole meaning. She could represent accountability. Which would be a lovely satirical plot twist."

She is walking, look at her arm positions.

Or maybe she represents all the women who are fed up with the good ol' boy  hierarchy?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4437 on: October 16, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »

ROFL

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #4438 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »
    Fixed

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
    « Reply #4439 on: October 16, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #4440 on: October 16, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »

Wait, when did Trump lose 60 pounds?   

ysette9

• Walrus Stache

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #4442 on: October 16, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »

She is walking, look at her arm positions.

Or maybe she represents all the women who are fed up with the good ol' boy  hierarchy?

According to the guy who painted it, she is fuzzy and indistinct and is more or less a placeholder for the future female president, "who is not afraid to walk up to a table of powerful men." Take that as you will.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4443 on: October 16, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
    It's telling that Nixon gets such a prominent place on the table.

I've seen a pre-Trump picture like this before in the home of a rich Republican donor. Lincoln is used as a way to deflect criticism of racism in the party. "But, but, Lincoln!"

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
    « Reply #4445 on: October 16, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »

I laughed out loud at both of these

accolay

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #4446 on: October 16, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
    Wonder what Roosevelt and Lincoln would think about the state of our country?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #4447 on: October 16, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
    I'm pretty sure that Teddy Roosevelt would be displeased with the Trump Administration's approach to conservation and public lands.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #4448 on: October 16, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
    As if I needed it...one more reminder that the Presidency remains a boys' club.  Sigh.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #4449 on: October 16, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
    I'm pretty sure that Teddy Roosevelt would be displeased with the Trump Administration's approach to conservation and public lands.

It was mostly rhetorical. But beyond our shared lands, I think Roosevelt would think Trump is a big wuss.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!