Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309254 times)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #4250 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »
This is all so brilliant. Putin is the Bismarck of the modern world.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4251 on: September 21, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
about 15 mintues after I wrote ^^ news broke that Rosenstein suggested secretly recording Trump, according to newly released memos from McCabe.

New prediction: Rosenstein is out by Monday.
lots of negative comments in the NYT article. basically that this news will all but stop the investigation once he and mueller are fired.

There's no way any GOP spin would help the midterms if that happened. The Senate would flip.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4252 on: September 21, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »
about 15 mintues after I wrote ^^ news broke that Rosenstein suggested secretly recording Trump, according to newly released memos from McCabe.

lots of negative comments in the NYT article. basically that this news will all but stop the investigation once he and mueller are fired.
not sure i agree given the apparent lack of care from the 40% of people that still support trump somehow. facts don't matter.
There's no way any GOP spin would help the midterms if that happened. The Senate would flip.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4253 on: September 22, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »

not sure i agree given the apparent lack of care from the 40% of people that still support trump somehow. facts don't matter.

Well, yeah. Trump could appoint Roy Moore "Chief Sexual Assault Investigator" and his base would chuckle, scream "Lock her up!," and still go to rallies.

Thankfully, the Democrats only need a very thin slice of moderate Republicans to peel off and change their vote...or not vote at all.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4254 on: September 22, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »

Well, yeah. Trump could appoint Roy Moore "Chief Sexual Assault Investigator" and his base would chuckle, scream "Lock her up!," and still go to rallies.

Thankfully, the Democrats only need a very thin slice of moderate Republicans to peel off and change their vote...or not vote at all.
Actually we just need those who are independent or have not register before to vote.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4255 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
Actually we just need those who are independent or have not register before to vote.

That's probably not sufficient.  Remember that approximately three million more people voted for Clinton than voted for Trump, and yet she lost by 77 electoral college votes.  Just having more voters is not sufficient anymore, when one party controls the redistricting maps and the courts, can selectively close polling places, and is coordinating a massive disinformation and hacking campaign with a hostile foreign power.

Democrats already have the a clear majority of the voting population on their side, and yet they control nothing.  The levers of power ensure that the wealthy elite minority gets what it wants, regardless of what the country wants.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4256 on: September 23, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
The levers of power ensure that the wealthy elite minority gets what it wants, regardless of what the country wants.
To be fair, that's not confined to the USA. Who decides policy? Politicians. Who influences them? People who talk to them in person. Who talks to them in person? Lobbyists. How do you ensure a meeting? Make a large donation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-24/lobbying-gifts-jobs-relationships-and-donations-affect-democracy/10282852

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4257 on: September 24, 2018, 07:13:50 AM »
Donation?  Let's call it what it is.  It's a bribe.  So aptly portrayed in the September 16th Pearls before Swine comic:

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/pearlsbeforeswine/s-2123285

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4258 on: September 24, 2018, 07:27:16 AM »
Donation?  Let's call it what it is.  It's a bribe.  So aptly portrayed in the September 16th Pearls before Swine comic:

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/pearlsbeforeswine/s-2123285

When money is considered free speech, those with more money have a louder voice.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4260 on: September 24, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
Rosenstein is resigning.

https://www.axios.com/rod-rosenstein-resign-justice-department-trump-cf761f4c-fca3-4794-92d4-a56c9e32ff43.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

CNN says he's being fired.  Either way the Russian investigation shall go on and if Donny thinks this makes it go away he is sadly mistaken.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4261 on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Rosenstein is resigning.

https://www.axios.com/rod-rosenstein-resign-justice-department-trump-cf761f4c-fca3-4794-92d4-a56c9e32ff43.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

CNN says he's being fired.  Either way the Russian investigation shall go on and if Donny thinks this makes it go away he is sadly mistaken.

Can I get my bonus point??

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4262 on: September 24, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
GOP Silver Lining: Firing Rosenstein does provide cover for dropping Kavanaugh.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4263 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »
Expects to be fired, the White House is just waiting on final confirmation from Hannity and Pirro

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4264 on: September 24, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
Expects to be fired, the White House is just waiting on final confirmation from Hannity and Pirro

What's the time difference to Moscow?  Is Putin even going to be awake to make this decision?

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4265 on: September 24, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
1. We know Trump is in NYC with Prime Minister Abe, via tweet (I'm sure that was just a casual mention of Trump Tower, not meant to be an advertisement.
2. We know Trump is a chicken and can't fire anyone himself unless its "acting" on a TV show (Comey, Tillerson, Omarosa, to name a few off the top of my head)
3. Therefore, I think Rosenstein is right to think it'll happen today.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4267 on: September 24, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
Rosenstein is resigning.

Can I get my bonus point??

what about my point? After I posted, I did read about the secret taping of Trump.

The Party takes loyalty seriously, and does not tolerate any acts of subversion – even if they are mere thoughts.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4268 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
If I were Rosenstein talking to Kelly, I would be saying that in the circumstances I would not take any statement that I was fired as definitive until I had seen Trump's signature on a letter.  And I would be telling Kelly that to protect himself he ought to take the same position.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4269 on: September 24, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
For months now there have been calls for a nationwide protest if Rosenstein (or of course Mueller) is fired. Will be interesting to see if there is follow through on this. But if Trump/Kelly are trying to shut down the Russia investigation or divert attention from Kavanaugh, I can't help but feel that this is now too little, too late on both issues.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4270 on: September 24, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Apparently he's safe till Thursday. I'm betting he's gone though. There's enough cover to let him go with the Kavanaugh thing going on...

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #4271 on: September 24, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
See, I saw Thursday and thought, "Oh really, Thursday? The day of Christine Blasey Ford's testimony? WHAT A COINCIDENCE!"

I'm convinced this is an effort to distract from the Kavanaugh mess.  I kind of believe Trump will about-face in at the last minute and say he's keeping Rosenstein on.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4272 on: September 24, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »
I'm convinced this is an effort to distract from the Kavanaugh mess.  I kind of believe Trump will about-face in at the last minute and say he's keeping Rosenstein on.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/trump-wanted-to-nuke-rosenstein-to-save-kavanaughs-bacon

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4273 on: September 24, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/trump-wanted-to-nuke-rosenstein-to-save-kavanaughs-bacon
Ugh. It really is reality TV.  Who will survive the week, Kavanaugh or Rosenstein?  Tune in Thursday to find out!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4274 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »

Ugh. It really is reality TV.  Who will survive the week, Kavanaugh or Rosenstein?  Tune in Thursday to find out!
I'm tired of 'winning' so much...

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #4275 on: September 24, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
From the Vanity Fair story:

"As Kavanaugh’s poll numbers plummet, Trump is telling people in private that he was never a fan of Kavanaugh’s selection, sources said. According to two people who’ve spoken with Trump recently, Trump complained that establishment Republicans foisted Kavanaugh on him, because they reasoned Kavanaugh would unite the party in November. According to one former West Wing official, Trump’s first choice was Judge Thomas Hardiman, who served on the federal bench alongside Trump’s sister Maryanne Trump Barry."

Oh, HORSE SHIT!  I don't believe for one minute that Trump had Kavanaugh "foisted" on him.  He picked him because he has a uniquely broad and deferential view of presidential power.  He could have picked a dozen other equally conservative judges who would have been easier to confirm, but he picked Kavanaugh to save his own ass.

Ugh.  Enough.  That's enough news for me today.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4276 on: September 24, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
If Rosenstein is really to meet with Trump on Thursday (again, Trump seems very averse to actual in person confrontation, so I have my doubts he would actually fire him in person), does Kelly demand he be checked for a wire or recording device?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4277 on: September 24, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »

You've seen from my other posts that I oppose Trump.

But NYT really got outsmarted by team Trump on this Rosenstein thing: leaking the comments to them, then pretending he was going to get fired only to walk it back; it's all part of creating the fog in which they're mobilizing their base. and is it just me, or are people suddenly seeing a lot more random tweets from handles ending in eight-digit numbers who have no one following them?

Trump is wounded, but he still has a formidable team for shaping public opinion, and they're gearing up for the next six weeks.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4278 on: September 24, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
But NYT really got outsmarted by team Trump on this Rosenstein thing: leaking the comments to them, then pretending he was going to get fired only to walk it back; it's all part of creating the fog in which they're mobilizing their base.

That's an interesting take, I guess.  Do you know who leaked it?

Because an alternative explanation is that it's Rosenstein's office who has outsmarted team Trump, by leaking his expectation that he would get fired in order to forestall the inevitable, and the NYT was just an unwitting cooperator in the shenanigans.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4279 on: September 24, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
Why would Rosenstein leaking that he expected to be fired prevent Trump from firing him?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4280 on: September 24, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »
Why would Rosenstein leaking that he expected to be fired prevent Trump from firing him?

I'm guessing because Trump has a history of doing the opposite of what everyone says he going to do - see how long he kept Rex Tillerson around after multiple reports that he was about to get canned.

Also, Hannity & others have been pleading with Trump not to "play into the hands of his [supposed] enemies" by firing Rosenstein (a la the Saturday Night Massacre).  By suggesting that he was going to get fired Rosenstein pushes team Trump to immediately walk that back.

Option 3: Rosenstein now has 3(ish) more days to take steps to protect the investigation and Mueller.  It will be interesting to see if any high-profile individuals get indicted in the next 72 hours.  If so it would make it darn near impossible for Trump to yell "witch hunt" again and terminate the entire thing.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4281 on: September 24, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »

To put the question of whether he's being fired to squash the Russia investigation or not. Trump could have surprise fired Rosenstein and presented his rationale, now he has to do it in the face of questions once again.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4282 on: September 24, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »
I hear that Trump is planning to "clean house" at the DOJ and FBI after the midterm elections. So actually the timing of this is inconvenient to Trump. I hope everyone, both the people hoping to get elected, and the people voting, have let the multiple examples of Trump using people, and then stabbing them in the back once they are no longer useful, sink in. Is that the kind of person you really want to throw your support to? His modus operandi is not conservative, nor federalist or constitutionalist. It is entirely self-serving. Even a mad dog will bite its owner and I hope the Republicans come to their senses. Our democracy is a boat that carries all of us (except for maybe the 1%, they are on a jet plane, or a hot air balloon floating above us). Regardless of your political affiliation if democracy goes down we are all going to feel it. In not a good way. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:25:47 PM by partgypsy »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4283 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »
You guys on this thread know that I oppose Trump.

But I cannot help but think that he won yesterday: the cloud of crazy around this Rosenstein thing made the media look unhinged, and Kavanaugh seemed to be turning things around with his TV interview.

The one thing that I think would truly wreck things in November for Democrats would be if there's another mass shooting. For whatever reason, the gun thing simply seems to turn polling against them like nothing else. But a couple more days like yesterday, and the House suddenly might elude their reach.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4284 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
Kavanaugh seemed to be turning things around with his TV interview.

You must be watching different news than I am, because Kavanaugh seems to be a burning ship.  A fourth accuser came forward, one of the people who previously vouched for his character rescinded her statement when she found out what he wrote about her in his yearbook, and another contemporary friend came forward to say that while Kavanaugh appears to be a good family man now, he was definitely a hard-partying douche-bro back then and was widely known to be a belligerent and abusive drunk, and that these accusations seem totally believable to him given what he knew back then.

This is exactly the sort of thing an FBI investigation would reveal, if the republicans were to ever allow one to happen.  Fortunately for Brett, Congress seems to have his back.  Unfortunately for Brett, the press is doing much of the same digging that the FBI would have done anyway.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4285 on: September 25, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
Trump got a laugh at the UN today.

That's the world laughing at him, not with him.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4286 on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
The one thing that I think would truly wreck things in November for Democrats would be if there's another mass shooting. For whatever reason, the gun thing simply seems to turn polling against them like nothing else. But a couple more days like yesterday, and the House suddenly might elude their reach.

Like the 3 mass shootings that happened last week?
https://splinternews.com/workplace-mass-shooting-in-maryland-is-the-third-in-jus-1829197600

We seem to have become immune to them as a nation unless they get into solid double digit territory. That makes me a bit sad.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4287 on: September 25, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
Apparently, Trump will literally be treated as a laughingstock at the UN:
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/watch-trump-boasts-accomplishments-entire-un-burst-laughter/#.W6pUvumA6YI.facebook

His speech technique here appears to be to squint and look serious while speaking slowly at a 6th grade level. To his credit, he did recover from being laughed at well.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4288 on: September 25, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/brett-kavanaugh-fox-news-interview-aggressive-specific-defense/

David French has been drinking Kavanaugh kool-aid all along, but this is the most charitable review of K's TV interview I've seen. Do not underestimate the resolve of Mitch McConnel.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4289 on: September 25, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
Apparently, Trump will literally be treated as a laughingstock at the UN:
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/watch-trump-boasts-accomplishments-entire-un-burst-laughter/#.W6pUvumA6YI.facebook

His speech technique here appears to be to squint and look serious while speaking slowly at a 6th grade level. To his credit, he did recover from being laughed at well.

I bet he ask his aides after the speech to keep a record of those people/countries who laughed at him. Pretty sure in the near future we (US) going pay this back by using sanctions or tariffs or whatever against those countries. Unless of course they are our buddies from North Korea or Russia (facepalm)

I think that is the first time a US president (and probably the first president/leader of any country) was being laughed at in front of UN audience.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4290 on: September 25, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4291 on: September 25, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »

I just can't believe how many politicians can talk to him with a straight face. I guess it's part of the job description for a politician to hide their true feelings but personally I've had multiple involuntarily laughs listening to him speak.

ETA: exactly. "a genius at strategy"?  He just doesn't speak the English very well. My favorite is probably "I know words. I have the best words"
If a 5th grader with a learning disability said that I still wouldn't be able to hold back a little snicker.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:44:11 PM by Dabnasty »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4292 on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »

I just can't believe how many politicians can talk to him with a straight face. I guess it's part of the job description for a politician to hide their true feelings but personally I've had multiple involuntarily laughs listening to him speak.

ETA: exactly. "a genius at strategy"?  He just doesn't speak the English very well. My favorite is probably "I know words. I have the best words"
If a 5th grader with a learning disability said that I still wouldn't be able to hold back a little snicker.

I guess this gets at what true diplomacy is.  Being diplomatic is working with someone whom you have fundamentally different beliefs or goals.  Its not really diplomacy when all sides share the same values and goals.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4293 on: September 25, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »

https://splinternews.com/workplace-mass-shooting-in-maryland-is-the-third-in-jus-1829197600

We seem to have become immune to them as a nation unless they get into solid double digit territory. That makes me a bit sad.

Yep, they don't even make front page news anymore. We had a mass shooting about 3 weeks ago. Not much national coverage.  A good friend I grew up with works in the building it happened. If mass shootings rally conservatives, I don't think there would be any Dems left.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4294 on: September 25, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

Yep, they don't even make front page news anymore. We had a mass shooting about 3 weeks ago. Not much national coverage.  A good friend I grew up with works in the building it happened. If mass shootings rally conservatives, I don't think there would be any Dems left.

Agree. If one wants to make front page, a few kills is not going to do it. Going to have to do better than that (I am being sarcastic here).

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4295 on: September 25, 2018, 06:58:17 PM »

One member of my extended family was killed in a mass shooting a decade or so ago.  Gabby Gifford was shot in a parking lot I used to use fairly regularly during college (strip mall included a grocery store I'd go to).   My sister just had a near miss with teenagers shooting each other in a park at the exact same time she planned her regular afternoon visit, except on a whim she happened to pick a different nearby park that day for a change of pace.  My husband's friends (pure luck that it  wasn't my husband that particular day) all were locked down recently during a campus shooting and subsequent manhunt. And during the past week, one of my aunts was in the next-door office building on lockdown during that shooting.

One actual death.  Way too many 'too close for comfort' incidents, and that is only MY family.  Can this be the new normal for boring, middle class suburban neighborhoods?  From my perspective, it is getting goddamn fucking old.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4296 on: September 25, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »
What horribly shitty part of the country do you live in?

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4297 on: September 26, 2018, 12:26:19 AM »

An American friend of mine commented that he envied our parliamentary system of government because of Question Time. I noted that most questions are just someone from the same party going, "could the Minister for Industry tell us about the excellent work the government is doing to assist steelworks?" and the Minister stands up and buttons his jacket, "Why yes, I can praise myself for ten minutes straight, certainly." That's not all of Question Time, but most of it.

My friend responded, "It would be good to see members of the government subjected to derisive laughter from time to time." It's one advantage of having the executive directly responsible to and members of the legislative branch. Derisive laughter is good for members of government, it keeps them in their place.

Question Time has lots of interjections for "Point of Order, Mr Speaker" and all that. And then the minister has to sit the fck down and shut the fck up while that is sorted out. On discussion, we agreed it was also good for members of the government to have to sit the fck down and shut the fck up from time to time, too.

He made those comments during the Obama administration, I don't see why it wouldn't apply now, though. If not Congress, the UN General Assembly will have to do, I suppose.

dmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4298 on: September 26, 2018, 04:59:53 AM »
What horribly shitty part of the country do you live in?

Sounds like many large urban areas.  Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, LA, Detroit, Washington DC, Miami, and a few more.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4299 on: September 26, 2018, 05:43:05 AM »

I just can't believe how many politicians can talk to him with a straight face. I guess it's part of the job description for a politician to hide their true feelings

A cynic might observe that being able to lie (or at least dissemble) with a straight face is a very important part of the job description. How ever much of a buffoon Trump may be, he's not got his place at the UN through a military coup or strongarmed his way to the head of a one party state through elimination of rivals. Western politicians are going to deal with many worse people in their careers.