Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309000 times)

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #4200 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I grew up in Texas and couldn't believe Rick Perry was our governor for so long. But I think he's going to come out of this administration looking really good. Probably more qualified for his boss' job than his boss is ;-)

It hurts my sensibilities to think things like that, but here we are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4201 on: September 14, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
I grew up in Texas and couldn't believe Rick Perry was our governor for so long. But I think he's going to come out of this administration looking really good. Probably more qualified for his boss' job than his boss is ;-)

Good for a few minutes of laughs if anyone likes Chuck Norris, wine in plastic cups, and making fun of Rick Perry
https://www.dmagazine.com/tag/the-fake-rick-perry/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4202 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

I'm still unclear on what 'qualifications' DJT had (or has gained) to be President.  No public service whatsoever, no experience working within a large bureaucracy, no military experience. For all his faults (and I'm not a big fan) Perry was both state governor and an officer in the air force.
God that's wierd... I'm almost supporting Rick Perry at this point.

**Any Sane Adult 2020**

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4203 on: September 14, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »
For all his faults (and I'm not a big fan) Perry was both state governor and an officer in the air force.

At least he wasn't on a reality TV show...

...nevermind

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4204 on: September 14, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Today, Donald Trump's campaign manager plead guilty to conspiracy against the United States for his work with Russia. 

Any bets on how long it takes Trump to tweet out "no collusion"?  Because that sure looks like collusion to me.

At this point, I think the most charitable interpretation of events is that Donald Trump was somehow unaware that his entire senior campaign staff was colluding with Russia, taking payments from Russia, coordinating illegal activities with Russia, and advancing Russian foreign policy objectives.  Maybe the whole campaign was dirty and the candidate was just deceived by all of his closest people, duped into going along with a massive international corruption scandal but not actually part of it himself.  This interpretation seems like kind of a stretch to me, but I guess it's possible. 

Trump will have to change his "no collusion" tweets to "my entire staff was colluding with Russia, but I didn't know about it." 

He'll have to hope that none of those who have plead guilty testify that Trump was personally coordinating the illegal activities, like Cohen did with the campaign finance violations.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:04:57 AM by sol »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4205 on: September 14, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
Interesting side development. After yet another guilty-plea from another person close to Trump, I was wondering if/when Acroy would pop in to give the normal "MAGA / everything's fine / Witch Hunt" response... only to see he's no longer searchable as a member of this forum.  Acroy = banned?  Wonder if it is permanent or temporary...

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #4206 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Today, Donald Trump's campaign manager plead guilty to conspiracy against the United States for his work with Russia. 

Any bets on how long it takes Trump to tweet out "no collusion"?  Because that sure looks like collusion to me.

At this point, I think the most charitable interpretation of events is that Donald Trump was somehow unaware that his entire senior campaign staff was colluding with Russia, taking payments from Russia, coordinating illegal activities with Russia, and advancing Russian foreign policy objectives.  Maybe the whole campaign was dirty and the candidate was just deceived by all of his closest people, duped into going along with a massive international corruption scandal but not actually part of it himself.  This interpretation seems like kind of a stretch to me, but I guess it's possible. 

Trump will have to change his "no collusion" tweets to "my entire staff was colluding with Russia, but I didn't know about it." 

He'll have to hope that none of those who have plead guilty testify that Trump was personally coordinating the illegal activities, like Cohen did with the campaign finance violations.

Don't worry.  We'll have the peanut gallery arguing that Russian collusion is the same as Hillary and the GOP hiring Fusion GPS.  Because gathering information from Russian sources on, you know, your opponent's shady money laundering in Russia is the same as Putin offering to unleash his government-sponsored hackers in aid of your campaign. Just like his crime with Cohen was the same as the Obama campaign not reporting all contributions within 48 hours, a simple reporting error. 

I don't know how I'm going to make it until the midterms.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4207 on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »
Interesting side development. After yet another guilty-plea from another person close to Trump, I was wondering if/when Acroy would pop in to give the normal "MAGA / everything's fine / Witch Hunt" response... only to see he's no longer searchable as a member of this forum.  Acroy = banned?  Wonder if it is permanent or temporary...

It would make for a fun drinking game. Everytime a die-hard Trump supporter says "no-collusion, Hillary, Obama, witch hunt, MAGA, etc." everyone has to drink.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:24:59 AM by MasterStache »

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4208 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
That's pretty surprising to me.  Acroy comes across as a troll in a lot of the political conversations on this board, but in the conversations about frugal living, he's got a pretty solid background. 

I generally break the people I disagree with in the politics portions of the MMM forums into "disagreeable, but participates in other areas" and "pure troll".  If someone is only active in "Other" topics, that's pure troll!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4209 on: September 14, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
For all his faults (and I'm not a big fan) Perry was both state governor and an officer in the air force.

At least he wasn't on a reality TV show...

...nevermind

Holy shit. This will haunt me tonight. He's like a strutting oompa-loompa.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4210 on: September 14, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
That's pretty surprising to me.  Acroy comes across as a troll in a lot of the political conversations on this board, but in the conversations about frugal living, he's got a pretty solid background. 

I generally break the people I disagree with in the politics portions of the MMM forums into "disagreeable, but participates in other areas" and "pure troll".  If someone is only active in "Other" topics, that's pure troll!

I tend to agree - he's had a lot of helpful posts elsewhere but forum rules are forum rules.

It would make for a fun drinking game. Everytime a die-hard Trump supporter says "no-collusion, Hillary, Obama, witch hunt, MAGA, etc." everyone has to drink.
I'm fairly certain my liver could not sustain that kind of daily assault.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4211 on: September 14, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

Do we have to drink vodka?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4212 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »

Only in the case of a direct reference to Russia or Ukraine.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4213 on: September 14, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »

Only if you are keen to alcohol poisoning ( :

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4214 on: September 14, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
I just read that Manafort has agreed to pay back $46MM in fines and taxes.  Given that the Mueller investigation has cost around $20MM, it sounds like the president's defenders can no longer say that the "witch hunt" is a waste of tax-payer money.
I realize, of course, that this won't stop Trump from saying it...

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4215 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
I'm still unclear on what 'qualifications' DJT had (or has gained) to be President.

Sure WhiteTrashCash said it first: He's rich (or at least looks like he is) and has a hot wife

And that's good enough for a lot of people, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:20:45 PM by accolay »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4216 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »

He is going to use Woodward book as base of his defense this time. See Bob is absolutely right, my staffs took paper off my desk and do bad things behind my back!

MAGA!!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4217 on: September 14, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
Trumps golf game has really gotta be struggling at this point.  Do people still want to go out there with him while he's throwing his clubs and tweeting nonsense?

So yeah, Trump shoulda' probably realized it would end this way.  Even a multi-millionaire (definitely not billionaire) would have figured out the easy play.  But I'm guessing (from all my observations) he really is not that smart.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #4218 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
I'm still unclear on what 'qualifications' DJT had (or has gained) to be President.

Sure WhiteTrashCash said it first: He's rich (or at least looks like he is) and has a hot wife

And that's good enough for a lot of people, unfortunately.

John Mulaney had a bit about how Trump is like a hobo's idea of what a rich person would be:

Like Trump was walking around under an underpass, and he heard some guy like 'Ohh, as soon as my number comes in, I'm gonna put up tall buildings with my name on 'em! I'll have fine golden hair, and a tv show where I fire Gene Simmons with my children.' And Trump was like 'That is how I will live my life.'"

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4219 on: September 17, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
Trumps golf game has really gotta be struggling at this point.  Do people still want to go out there with him while he's throwing his clubs and tweeting nonsense?

Never underestimate how many sycophants to power are out there.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4220 on: September 17, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
At this point, it's maybe easier to ask who isn't guilty. 

Per Seth Abramson:

3/ Here are Mueller's likely targets—some already confirmed:
Trump Sr. Prince Manafort Flynn Bannon Kushner Trump Jr. Cohen Gates Sessions Gordon Page Schmitz Papadopoulos
Maybe: Barrack, McFarland, Phares, Miller, Lewandowski, Dearborn
Unlikely: Conway, McGahn, Pence, Priebus

I certainly hope Pence is not on the Unlikely list.  Pence was Manafort's "first choice" and Manafort lied about mechanical problems on Trump's plane to make the Trump stay an extra day in Indiana to get to know Pence. Supposedly in a phone call, Manafort assured Trump that Pence was the right choice and not Chris Christie or any of the other contenders. 

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4221 on: September 17, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Lol at the idea of Chris Christie being VP. I could imagine either him being fired the first week or getting in trouble with Trump as bestest friends.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4222 on: September 17, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »
Lol at the idea of Chris Christie being VP. I could imagine either him being fired the first week or getting in trouble with Trump as bestest friends.

You can't fire a VP...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4223 on: September 17, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »

You can't fire a VP...
Nope, but you sure can impeach them.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4224 on: September 17, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

You can't fire a VP...

Imagining the tweet, and then having to walk it back heheh.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4225 on: September 18, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »

You can't fire a VP...

When I first read this, I absolutely couldn't believe it. But then the most cursory internet search brought me to this article, which I believe to be trustworthy on the matter:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-nolan/the-vice-president-is-the_b_105178.html

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4226 on: September 18, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »

You can't fire a VP...

When I first read this, I absolutely couldn't believe it. But then the most cursory internet search brought me to this article, which I believe to be trustworthy on the matter:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-nolan/the-vice-president-is-the_b_105178.html

Well the VP is technically a member of the Legislature, not the Executive branch. And just like any other duly elected official, the president can't touch you.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #4227 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

I'm still unclear on what 'qualifications' DJT had (or has gained) to be President.  No public service whatsoever, no experience working within a large bureaucracy, no military experience. For all his faults (and I'm not a big fan) Perry was both state governor and an officer in the air force.
God that's wierd... I'm almost supporting Rick Perry at this point.

**Any Sane Adult 2020**

Qualifications required for being a politician:
- Good fundraiser
- Nothing else

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4228 on: September 18, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »
Joke of the day:
A lawyer, a spy, a mob boss, and a money launderer walk into a bar. Bartender says, "You guys must be here to talk about adoption".

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4229 on: September 18, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
No, they're here to see the best in gothic architecture this county has to offer, only a short 3,000km flight

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4230 on: September 18, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
Clearly the talk was about the precious toddlers, not the Magnitsky Act which targets individual Russians and their financial assets outside of Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitsky_Act

https://www.businessinsider.com/magnitsky-act-russian-adoptions-donald-trump-jr-meeting-2017-7

The Magnitsky Act and the "meeting to discuss adoption" is the clearest lens through which to understand what the Russians wanted to achieve through Trump, and why his reluctance to follow through on Congress-approved sanctions on Russia is so damning. Sure Russia benefits from sowing discord in the US and weakening alliances with Europe/NATO, but the Magnisky Act is a specific financial lever on Putin and his allies that is a real thorn in their side.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4231 on: September 18, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
No, they're here to see the best in gothic architecture this county has to offer, only a short 3,000km flight

And it was so good on Saturday, they decided to go back and see it again on Sunday!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4232 on: September 19, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Interesting commentary on Trump and the future in which his ego plus the Mueller report lead to a constitutional crisis.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/trump-fbi-declassification-mueller-scandal-constitutional-crisis.html

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4233 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
I speculate that Trump will provide more tone-deaf and empathy lacking comments such as, "At least you got a nice boat of the deal." to people who have lost nearly everything.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/19/least-you-got-nice-boat-out-deal-trump-tells-nc-man-during-post-florence-tour/?utm_term=.63e033efec2f

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4235 on: September 20, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
WHERE IS THE COLLUSION???????!!!!!111111111

Hilary Benghazi Obummer Birth Certificate Drain the Swamp Build the Wall Grab Them By The Pussy

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4236 on: September 21, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
I was really impressed by Trump's measured reaction to the Ford-Kavanaugh allegations. "Let the Process Play out..."

He must really be concerned.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4237 on: September 21, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
I was really impressed by Trump's measured reaction to the Ford-Kavanaugh allegations. "Let the Process Play out..."

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4238 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

I read a report this morning that his handlers had been having a hell of a time trying to get him not to comment on it.

And then, just a couple of hours later, this.

The man who admits to and even brags about being a serial sexual assaulter, telling us all why Ford isn't credible.

SMDH.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4239 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
"hey mom and dad, I was at a party with a bunch of upperclassmen and two of them took me into a locked bedroom, and..."

yeah, I couldn't even tell my parents if I liked someone at age 15. I wouldn't tell them when older kids bullied me, and made up excuses about "soccer practice" when I came home with bruises and scraped knees. 20 years later I still haven't mentioned to my parents that the gym teacher who is now in prison for molesting other students also tried to be very touch-feely with me (though I was able to avoid any full-blown assault). Most teenagers would rather die than tell their parents they were attacked, and they certainly aren't going to call the police on someone two years their senior.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4240 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
I grew up in the 80's. Someone in my class got accidently pregnant (don't know details) and got an abortion. The gossip went through the school like wildfire, people speculating wildly and everyone avoided her. I don't remember anyone shaming or casting aspersions on the guy involved.

It was a different world between males and females back then compared to now. Well, actually maybe not so different.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:43:52 AM by partgypsy »

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #4241 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »

I read a report this morning that his handlers had been having a hell of a time trying to get him not to comment on it.

The man who admits to and even brags about being a serial sexual assaulter, telling us all why Ford isn't credible.

SMDH.

Even now, he still shocks me with just how unapologetically terrible he is as a human being.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4242 on: September 21, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »

SMDH.

I admit that my comment didn't age very well.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4243 on: September 21, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
So far, when I have seen him tweet stuff, and then thought to myself, well that person is going to go, the only person I've been wrong about so far is Rod Rosenstein. It's been a few weeks since a firing.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4244 on: September 21, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
So far, when I have seen him tweet stuff, and then thought to myself, well that person is going to go, the only person I've been wrong about so far is Rod Rosenstein. It's been a few weeks since a firing.

NYT has Rosenstein being VERY disloyal to Trump. I'd be surprised if he made it to the midterms.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4245 on: September 21, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »

NYT has Rosenstein being VERY disloyal to Trump. I'd be surprised if he made it to the midterms.

I'm guessing he'll remove both Rosenstein and Sessions immediately after the midterms.  Neither has very much time left, and only internal pressure by GOP senators has kept them safe, which seems to be eroding quickly.  If either of them do anything in the interim he doesn't like he'll yank them instantly (or at least Tweet-Fire them).

I'm also suspicious about Ben Carson. His agency has been a background PR story for giving promotions to un-qualified loyalists - the only reason it hasn't been a major media focus is due to Kavanaugh.  If/when that storm dies down or passes by, if Carson suddenly becomes front-page news again I think he's toast.  Unlike some in his administration, Carson's so soft-spoken that his effusive praise for the Donald is drowned out by a light political breeze.  What function does he really serve at this point other than being another negative story about Trump's cabinet?

Mattis is looking for a reason to quit if accounts are even remotely accurate, however his own duty to serve the country and belief that there's little separating this administration and open international conflict and chaos.  Trump seems to have soured on Mattis but lacks anyone with the gravitas to replace him with since most every other general who supported him has either left (McMaster) or plead guilty (Flynn).  Trump has to be fuming at Kelly over his allegedly calling Trump "an idiot".  While Kelly was able to instill come order on the underlings in the WH, he's been unable to get Trump to stop making ridiculous assertions via Twitter nor keep a steady focus on almost any policy.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4246 on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
about 15 mintues after I wrote ^^ news broke that Rosenstein suggested secretly recording Trump, according to newly released memos from McCabe.

New prediction: Rosenstein is out by Monday.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4247 on: September 21, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
about 15 mintues after I wrote ^^ news broke that Rosenstein suggested secretly recording Trump, according to newly released memos from McCabe.

Friday firings are the best to keep the news cycle on it muted... especially with the SCOTUS news dominating. It is really hard to keep up with this ever-spewing bullshit cannon.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4248 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »

I'm also suspicious about Ben Carson. His agency has been a background PR story for giving promotions to un-qualified loyalists - the only reason it hasn't been a major media focus is due to Kavanaugh. 

This is something Carson is doing to keep his job safe. All of the evidence we have about Trump is that this would please him.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4249 on: September 21, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »

lots of negative comments in the NYT article. basically that this news will all but stop the investigation once he and mueller are fired.