Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309079 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #1350 on: April 11, 2018, 05:00:20 AM »
The AG needs to be confirmed. Won't that leave Rosenstein as the acting AG until the confirmation?

Pruitt is the obvious replacement but even the Senate Republicans might find it difficult to approve him.

Hmm... upon reflection I think you are right, though DJT might want to fire both.  Grassley & others are on the talking circuit trying to convince/warn him not to go down that road.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Pruitt is still holding onto his job --- this latest development might let him stay on for at least a while longer, as the media and his boss are focused elsewhere, like Facebook, Cohen's raid, Syria, Boente's interview, and of course China. There's a half-dozen major stories that in an ordinary administration would dominate the front pages all week.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
A contact of mine in DC (not someone prone to exaggeration) has told me Trump will fire Mueller.

Get ready.

https://front.moveon.org/

I don't think he can fire Mueller. He has to get Rosenstein to do it and I doubt Rosenstein will.  That's why my money is on Trump firing Rosenstein.  I said 36 hours for a Rosentstein death watch, and we are ~ 24 hours in.  Then he has to fill that position with someone who will fire Mueller. I"m not sure how long that would take.

Technically, no. But my source says the skinny is straight-up Mueller.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: April 11, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »
Well Hot Rod is about to be fired...it's a Saturday Night Massacre playing out in slow motion.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1353 on: April 11, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
So, if Trump doesn't/can't fire Mueller, I think he can't pardon anyone at all.  If he doesn't pardon people, they can plead the 5th and not answer questions about his wrongdoing, but if he pardons them before they testify or get subpoenaed, then they don't have 5th Amendment protections, because they will no longer be able to self-incriminate after a pardon.

ETA: Also, I'm not a lawyer, so this could be totally bogus.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1354 on: April 11, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
This thread calls for speculation, so I'll throw one out there that I haven't really heard anyone suggest much...

Trump resigns and Pence pardons Trump and his whole gang.

I admit there are a few problems with this, one being that Trump would have to actually relinquish control, he strikes me as someone who would find that extremely difficult. Two, Pence was the head of the transition committee which is very much embroiled in a few of these Russian and fake Clinton email scandals, so it's hard to imagine his hands are completely clean. However, I think making a case against Pence is probably exponentially harder than Trump and many of the others, so my guess is that resignation followed by pardons would destroy most of the momentum of the criminal and impeachment cases that are being built. Three, this turn of events would play out much better for the Republicans if it could happen after the midterms, but they appear to have lost a lot of control and may not be able to choose their timeline; doing it before would just add additional momentum to the Democratic wave that is starting to build.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
This thread calls for speculation, so I'll throw one out there that I haven't really heard anyone suggest much...

Trump resigns and Pence pardons Trump and his whole gang.

I admit there are a few problems with this, one being that Trump would have to actually relinquish control, he strikes me as someone who would find that extremely difficult. Two, Pence was the head of the transition committee which is very much embroiled in a few of these Russian and fake Clinton email scandals, so it's hard to imagine his hands are completely clean. However, I think making a case against Pence is probably exponentially harder than Trump and many of the others, so my guess is that resignation followed by pardons would destroy most of the momentum of the criminal and impeachment cases that are being built. Three, this turn of events would play out much better for the Republicans if it could happen after the midterms, but they appear to have lost a lot of control and may not be able to choose their timeline; doing it before would just add additional momentum to the Democratic wave that is starting to build.

I've often wondered whether Trump will decide to 'take his ball and go home'. It seems like there are more days when he is mad/angry than days when he loves being president, and he's bemoaned semi-publicly how 'invasive' being president is.  Only hurdle to him quitting is he loves the status too much, though he's certainly walked away from other things and declared himself "very smart - a winner!" by doing so.  Shrug.
He might voluntarily go if he somehow thinks it would benefit him financially to no longer be Prez.
Honestly, if I were a GOP strategist I would at least spit-ball on ways to get DJT to voluntarily resign; in the meantime every GOP candidate is put in an awkward position where they can't offend DJT and risk his base turning against them, but to fully embrace him only works in very solidly red districts (and perhaps not even then - see Lamb and Jones - both of whom had no business winning in the districts they did on a more 'normal' cycle).

As for Pence pardoning Trump, presidential pardons only extend to federal crimes. Cohen (and - perhaps - himself by extension) are being investigated by NY. DC and MD are suing Trump over business violations.  I'm amazed at the speed at which Mueller's investigation has progressed; we haven't even hit the 1 year mark, and already there is a slew of indictments and a few guilty pleas, and at least two warrant-raids.  I expect charges on Cohen to come sometime in the next few weeks. Unless DJT is successful at stopping the investigation, Mueller might just file a very damning report a month or two before the midterms, though I'm speculating wildly on this last point... the Starr report only emerged 4 years after the initial investigation began.
Trump seems to particualrly blow a gasket anytime it emerges that his finances might be under scrutiny. Again, violation of state law wouldn't be covered, and perhaps there's stuff from any number of places he's done business (most notably NYC, but also NJ, Connecticut, California, Illinois, Virginia... not all of those have governors who would likely pardon him). What would/could he do if it turns out that Eric/Jr did more boneheaded, illegal and/or immoral things in pursuit of wealth?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »
Maybe he will slip off into exile, somewhere with no extradition to the U.S.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #1357 on: April 12, 2018, 05:29:34 AM »
So now trump is back pedalling on yesterday's threats to bomb Syria. It's his m.o., talk tough one day, dial back the next day and let the grown ups deal with it. His base will remember how "tough" he is with dictators and as a bonus everyone will be temporarily distracted from whichever aide is being investigated this week.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #1358 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
FBI raid on Cohen, Trump's lawyer, happened yesterday. And yes it is related to Trump, not just happenstance for something he did personally.

Discuss.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1359 on: April 12, 2018, 05:56:02 AM »
So now trump is back pedalling on yesterday's threats to bomb Syria. It's his m.o., talk tough one day, dial back the next day and let the grown ups deal with it. His base will remember how "tough" he is with dictators and as a bonus everyone will be temporarily distracted from whichever aide is being investigated this week.

Remember when he said "no one knew that health care could be so complicated"? I think DJT's realized that there's no fast strategy here that is low risk (both militarily and politically). The conventional military approach would be very expense and very costly and contradicts his pledge of pulling out.  Doing nothing makes him look weak and frames his rhetoric as empty threats. Precision strikes are complicated by a deeply embedded Russian army with advanced military defenses. Russia and Syrians will be more than happy to broadcast any civilian casualties caused by US strikes. A year ago DJT ordered the launch of 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles to combat a chemical weapon's attack in Syria (sound familiar?). If his response is the same or less he risks being seen as weak.

So he's painted himself into a corner: He needs a massive but contained military strike while avoiding Russian defenses and minimizing civilian casualties, and he needs to do it soon to avoid massive criticism that he's doing nothing.
That's a very narrow needle to thread.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1360 on: April 12, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »
FBI raid on Cohen, Trump's lawyer, happened yesterday. And yes it is related to Trump, not just happenstance for something he did personally.

Discuss.
We discussed it some above - what do you want to discuss?
Regarding 'happenstance' - to get the kind of warrant needed to search Cohen's home and office there needs to be very strong evidence to suggest that Cohen broke law(s). Such a raid would not have been approved if this were solely about criminal activities of his clients (including DJT).

Ergo, this is primarily about Cohen, though we can certainly surmise that anything which puts Cohen in legal jeopardy also is very bad (and may substantiate) for DJT as well.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:13 AM »

Discuss.
Regarding 'happenstance' - to get the kind of warrant needed to search Cohen's home and office there needs to be very strong evidence to suggest that Cohen broke law(s). Such a raid would not have been approved if this were solely about criminal activities of his clients (including DJT).

Ergo, this is primarily about Cohen, though we can certainly surmise that anything which puts Cohen in legal jeopardy also is very bad (and may substantiate) for DJT as well.
Reporting is saying that Trump's name was used repeatedly in the search warrant executed on Cohen: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics/access-hollywood-trump-lawyer-communications/index.html

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1362 on: April 12, 2018, 06:37:19 AM »

Discuss.

Reporting is saying that Trump's name was used repeatedly in the search warrant executed on Cohen: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics/access-hollywood-trump-lawyer-communications/index.html
Sure.  This is almost certainly bad for DJT.  My broader point is that while we can speculate exactly how bad this is for DJT, we know for a fact that this is very bad for Cohen, and to get such a warrant SDNY needed to demonstrate that his (Cohen's) actions were criminal in nature and there was substantial evidence suggesting he had records documenting his own criminal activity.

Regarding DJT - it's largely unknown. It's possible that anything found in the raid only corroborated evidence already discovered and therefor is just another brick in the wall. Or maybe a smoking gun was discovered.  We don't know yet. We do know that prosecutors convinced a federal magistrate that Cohen possessed evidence that he had committed a crime, and Rosenstein signed off on it.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1364 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
Oh it's very bad for Trump, the Trump Org, and the Trump Campaign.

Trump’s allies worry that federal investigators may have seized recordings made by his attorney

Cohen was very much involved in Trump's earlier presidential run, and his testimony or evidence could provide a crucial link between Trump and Russia starting in 2013. He and Trump had better hope that a lot of what was collected will fall outside of the purview of the search warrant. I doubt Cohen will be able to save himself, but the rest of the Trump gang can only hope the "clean team" is forced to toss out everything else.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
Hmm. Looks like he may be thinking of firing Rosenstein, who's successor will then fire Mueller. They probably had to explain this to Trump multiple times for him to get it (you can't fire Mueller) but it looks like that's what's going to happen.
Honestly, go for it big guy. Trump doing this will be the clearest example of obstruction of justice yet. And if the Republican party is spineless enough to allow Trump to do this, providing no checks and balances, they have betrayed the country and deserve getting massacred at the polls. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/12/rod-rosenstein-facing-scrutiny-from-trump-meets-with-president-at-white-house.html

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1366 on: April 13, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
Hmm. Looks like he may be thinking of firing Rosenstein, who's successor will then fire Mueller. They probably had to explain this to Trump multiple times for him to get it (you can't fire Mueller) but it looks like that's what's going to happen.
Honestly, go for it big guy. Trump doing this will be the clearest example of obstruction of justice yet. And if the Republican party is spineless enough to allow Trump to do this, providing no checks and balances, they have betrayed the country and deserve getting massacred at the polls. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/12/rod-rosenstein-facing-scrutiny-from-trump-meets-with-president-at-white-house.html

Everyone around me is saying that if Trump does this, it will be the final straw.

I think they are seriously underestimating how spineless the Republicans are. I don't buy it for a minute.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1367 on: April 13, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »

Everyone around me is saying that if Trump does this, it will be the final straw.

I think they are seriously underestimating how spineless the Republicans are. I don't buy it for a minute.

This^

Remember when Trump said he could murder someone and his supporters would still rally around him? Firing someone is pretty weak compared to murder.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1368 on: April 13, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »

This^

Remember when Trump said he could murder someone and his supporters would still rally around him? Firing someone is pretty weak compared to murder.

The House won't move against Trump until the base starts to abandon him and supporting Trump makes their own reelection chances drop.  I'm almost certain that won't happen.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1369 on: April 13, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
Rosenstein is being fired today.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1370 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
The House won't move against Trump until the base starts to abandon him and supporting Trump makes their own reelection chances drop.  I'm almost certain that won't happen.

Given the losses in AL, PA, VA, WI, etc., etc., surely there must be some consternation. Even Cruz is facing a well-funded opponent. I doubt that Cruz will lose but many "safe" Republican areas have flipped, though usually with help from a scandal.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1371 on: April 13, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »

Source?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1372 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »

Sadly, this is true.  I don't think that there is a final straw.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1373 on: April 13, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »

Nah, Trump will wait until Saturday. No one will notice the firing of any attorney generals or deputy AGs if it's done on a Saturday.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1374 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »

I'd be shocked, but on the other hand, the craziest news breaks on Friday afternoons.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1375 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
Pretty sure today should be the day. It is Friday, after all.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: April 13, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »

Source?

Writing on the wall / friend who claims to have a source lol

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1377 on: April 13, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »
No his advisors will talk him out of it. But 1, 2 weeks later when he's having a bad day, whatever, will impulsively fire him.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1378 on: April 13, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

I'd be shocked, but on the other hand, the craziest news breaks on Friday afternoons.

Sooooo .... about that Scooter Libbey

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

Trump just pardoned a man who committed high treason. Just to signal to his corrupt cronies that he'll pardon them if they stay loyal.

Any person who supports Trump at this point has no moral standing to say he or she loves this country.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1380 on: April 13, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »

Hmmmm.  He pardons someone who lied under oath, obstructed justice and leaked sensitive information.  What could he be trying to tell people, here?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: April 13, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »

Trump just pardoned a man who committed high treason. Just to signal to his corrupt cronies that he'll pardon them if they stay loyal.

Any person who supports Trump at this point has no moral standing to say he or she loves this country.

I give up (and my liver will at some point too :))! I feel like I can't even look away from the news for 5 minutes these days. I just hope someone gets him out of office soon (before he decides to start dropping bombs to rev up base/distract from Cohen/Russia, etc)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1382 on: April 13, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »

Sure they do. A Republican President is the country.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:29:45 AM by NoStacheOhio »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1383 on: April 13, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »

Sure they do. A Republican President is[/i] the country.

Yeah. I'm sure there are people who believe that. It's freaking sad as hell.

Collective insanity. Collective Dunning-Kruger. Sigh.

GetSmart

• Stubble
« Reply #1384 on: April 13, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »

The dumpster needs a lawyer.  Good old Scoot was disbarred.  Maybe he's going to be reinstated after pardon :-\  He lied to the FBI and obstructed justice -- what a perfect list of qualifications for his new gig.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1385 on: April 13, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »

The dumpster needs a lawyer.  Good old Scoot was disbarred.  Maybe he's going to be reinstated after pardon :-\  He lied to the FBI and obstructed justice -- what a perfect list of qualifications for his new gig.
Per Wikipedia (with a link to supporting documents) "...on November 3, 2016, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals granted Libby’s petition for reinstatement to the D.C. Bar."

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1386 on: April 13, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
Sooo, I would have lost my bet on Rosenstein.  Apparently the big Friday news is going to be airstrikes instead.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1387 on: April 13, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
Sooo, I would have lost my bet on Rosenstein.  Apparently the big Friday news is going to be airstrikes instead.

Deflect.  SQUIRREL!!!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1388 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »
Wow, I've seen better performances from people just learning public speaking - https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOxwANPEPMGB

Trump just does not do Presidential.  I especially cringed when he talked about the people suffering the effects of chlorine gas 'gasping for air', and then had a long audible gasp himself.

Trump, stick to reality TV and whatever it was that filled in that sad hole, but the rest of the world actually cares about what happened.  America can and will do better!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1389 on: April 13, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-orders-strikes-against-syria-over-chemical-weapons-attack/ar-AAvRrWC?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-latest-blasts-from-airstrikes-turn-damascus-sky-orange/ar-AAvRGta?ocid=spartanntp

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1390 on: April 13, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Wow, I've seen better performances from people just learning public speaking - https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOxwANPEPMGB

Trump just does not do Presidential.  I especially cringed when he talked about the people suffering the effects of chlorine gas 'gasping for air', and then had a long audible gasp himself.

Trump, stick to reality TV and whatever it was that filled in that sad hole, but the rest of the world actually cares about what happened.  America can and will do better!

Beginning feels like a fifth grader struggling to spit out a book report. Right about halfway through though, he hits his stride with the US is awesome and our economy is the greatest. Then a few more minutes of Trump rambling and close it with 30 seconds of asking for prayers and help from god.

That may have been one of his best speeches ever. Not in a sarcastic way, just in a sad way.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1391 on: April 13, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
As I said way back: the powers of the US President are actually fairly limited, both legally and in practice, by congress, the states, the supreme court, and the various lobby groups. About all they can do without anyone stopping them is bomb a foreign country. Of course, the locals try to stop them, which is why Third World countries make better targets. So at some point during their Presidency, bogged down by scandals (real or concocted) and sick of failing to get their policies through, every US President bombs some impoverished foreign country.

Every single one. And after they blow up some foreigners, they feel much better for a while. Too bad for the foreigners, of course.

Plus, Assad was winning the war, finally. They have to slow him down somehow, and the rebels aren't going to do it.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1392 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
As I said way back: the powers of the US President are actually fairly limited, both legally and in practice, by congress, the states, the supreme court, and the various lobby groups. About all they can do without anyone stopping them is bomb a foreign country. Of course, the locals try to stop them, which is why Third World countries make better targets. So at some point during their Presidency, bogged down by scandals (real or concocted) and sick of failing to get their policies through, every US President bombs some impoverished foreign country.

Every single one. And after they blow up some foreigners, they feel much better for a while. Too bad for the foreigners, of course.

Plus, Assad was winning the war, finally. They have to slow him down somehow, and the rebels aren't going to do it.
... except Jimmy Carter.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1393 on: April 13, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »

I only wish you were an adviser to the Orange-Tinge in Chief.  He is on a full-court press to see just what his cadre of lawyers can pull off to make him somehow look like Presidential material.  The war has been lost, but it's still a matter of pulling in all of the peripheral fools willing to go down with the over-weighted Titanic mess.  Who knows, given the unpredictable win of Trump, if Russia isn't going to somehow push this thing forward just a little further.  And sadly, just a little further, for Russia, is more than far enough.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:51:06 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1394 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
... except Jimmy Carter.
And he didn't get a second term. Moral of the story? Americans like blood! Give them blood, and they will love you.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: April 13, 2018, 11:49:25 PM »
Good thing all those people didn't vote for Hillary because she was too hawkish...

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: April 14, 2018, 01:02:48 AM »
Good thing all those people didn't vote for Hillary because she was too hawkish...
Trump is just having a brief masturbation of TEH MILITRY PWORZ, he fires his money-shot of Tomahawk semen in streams over Damascus for the day, then lies back, feels much relieved and starts snoring. Clinton, by contrast, wanted a full-on war with Russia, a viagra-fuelled all-night gang-bang of murderous brutal misery.

In November 2016, the US had the choice between malicious and incompetent, or malicious and competent. Honestly they made the wise choice. Drumpf lacks the attention span for a lengthy conflict.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #1397 on: April 14, 2018, 03:19:25 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-orders-strikes-against-syria-over-chemical-weapons-attack/ar-AAvRrWC?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-latest-blasts-from-airstrikes-turn-damascus-sky-orange/ar-AAvRGta?ocid=spartanntp

Hey, he followed through with the bravado. Congratulations to Trump for not lying this time. I'll even add that by bombing a middle eastern regime that was winning a war he is looking more presidential than ever. His America first base must be ecstatic now that the US is playing world police again.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1398 on: April 14, 2018, 03:45:55 AM »
Trump is just having a brief masturbation of TEH MILITRY PWORZ, he fires his money-shot of Tomahawk semen in streams over Damascus for the day, then lies back, feels much relieved and starts snoring. Clinton, by contrast, wanted a full-on war with Russia, a viagra-fuelled all-night gang-bang of murderous brutal misery.

In November 2016, the US had the choice between malicious and incompetent, or malicious and competent. Honestly they made the wise choice. Drumpf lacks the attention span for a lengthy conflict.
I'm betting that the promised retaliation is by Russia, Syria and Turkey against the Kurds.  Who have done more than anyone to keep a corner of Iraq stable over the last 20 years and to resist Isis, and are supposed to be the USA's most valuable (only reliable?) allies in the middle east.   And who will now be pounded into oblivion while Trump looks anywhere else he can, with a large net loss to safety, peace and humanity. 

I could spit.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1399 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »
Why has no one yet pointed out the irony of DJT pardoning an executive appointee of lying under oath and leaking classified information while publicly attacking another executive appointee for allegedly doing the same - lying under oath and leaking classified information?
ON --  THE  --  SAME --  DAY.