Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309437 times)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #1150 on: March 02, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Trump showing off his economics (lack of) knowledge on Twitter this morning.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: March 02, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
Remember when people were super mad about the Clinton Foundation because reasons?  Something, something pay to play?  Like, money came in (that's the pay) and then went out (A rating on Charity Navigator, books fully released for inspection), and that was somehow evidence of fraud?  Because a Saudi investor paying for malaria treatment or whatever meant that some favoritism was happening.  No one could actually find evidence of any favoritism.  Or any favorable treatment linked to the foundation donor base other than a slightly higher chance of getting a meeting with the Clintons.  But, you know, Crooked Hillary.

So, now we've got Prince Jared pushing Trump to support a blockade of Qatar shortly after they declined to bail out his shitty real estate investment.  Amid reports that he was the sole person advocating this stance among the team.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/weeks-before-blockade-qatar-denied-money-to-kushners-firm.html

This dipshit is destabilizing the middle east because he sucks at investing. Good thing we didn't elect someone who, you know, has a charity.  Oh-wait-we did?  And that dude's charity has been fined for fraud and has barely given out any money?  Wow-I'm starting to think that the people screeching about the Clinton Foundation weren't being totally genuine.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: March 02, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
https://splinternews.com/what-a-weird-coincidence-1823461783

Insider trading or the world's luckiest investor?  Hmm.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1153 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
This dipshit is destabilizing the middle east because he sucks at investing. Good thing we didn't elect someone who, you know, has a charity.  Oh-wait-we did?  And that dude's charity has been fined for fraud and has barely given out any money?  Wow-I'm starting to think that the people screeching about the Clinton Foundation weren't being totally genuine.

Ignorance doesn't preclude sincerity.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1154 on: March 02, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
More draining the swamp, making America great again, and building that wall.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: March 02, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
How is Russia falling behind the US when they choose and control the leadership of the States?

Militarily, yes, they are. Their little trip to Syria has severely depleted their stock of conventional bombs. Most of which were built in factories from the Soviet Union days. That military building infrastructure is no longer there. They can barely afford developing new fighters and bombers (mostly upgrading their Gen-4 stuff), tanks and so on. Yes they do come out with some nice designs every now and then, but no one really has any interest in buying it, and they alone can't afford to build anything in numbers. They don't have the capacity to really build up a blue ocean navy like they used to have too. We also smacked their ally in Syria, and killed a bunch of their mercenaries a few weeks ago. So I guess they are feeling a lack of respect lately.

So with all these problems, and a mass number of Chinese soldiers over the border, of course Putin wants to remind everyone that they have nukes. And the Chinese population is a problem too. Due to their one child policy ages ago, there are 50 million Chinese men with no hope of finding a Chinese wife. What do you to with all that extra man-power?

Well, historically, you send them off to war.

I see a conflict between China and India before a Chinese and Russian one, but the Russians and Chinese have gone at it before.

My current favorite  Russian venture is them sending their shitty little prototype "stealth" T-50 fighters to Syria. Why? Probably marketing reasons.

They are not a complete joke, though. Need to compare them to, say, Turkey, which has spent the last month being totally unable to dislodge the Kurds from Afrin.

They may not have the funds to be world-class, but they aren't stupid and know how to use what they have. Their Blackwater-equivalent types got messed up fighting the US, but they had serious cajones to even make the attack.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:07:01 PM by A Definite Beta Guy »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: March 02, 2018, 01:23:12 PM »

Has he ever show off anything that he is good at/has real knowledge?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1157 on: March 02, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »

He seems to have a pretty good handle on sexual misconduct in the workplace.  Just grab 'em by the pussy.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1158 on: March 02, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »
Trump putting tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum and threatening to pull out of NAFTA has completed his transformation into the Bizarro World version of Michael Moore.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1159 on: March 03, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
Trump, for me, jumped the shark when he started talking about taking guns before due process.  The rest of his Presidency is either going to be a marginalized, boring decline into randomness and obscurity, or a bizarre spectacle of the powers and honors bestowed upon the President being held on to by a drowning man.  Neither is good for the US, but the latter seems to be working out especially poorly (Trump realizing he can impose punishing tariffs and sending the stock market reeling).  What a world we currently live in. 

This President really seems to have no idea how to do his job nor any interest in how to get better at it.  I'd definitely say that American's deserve better.  I would like to conclude that we can run this guy out of an office he never was worthy of before his term ends, but I'm doubtful.  I think we're going to wake up to news of school shootings, international nuclear threats, immigrants/pot smokers (as opposed to opioid addicts)/minorities being treated poorly, and American healthcare rotting for another year or two. 

Maybe the cost of having a reality-TV president will ultimately vaccinate us against repeating the mistake.  I  would like to hope so (but even Hope got fired this week).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1160 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
Trump, for me, jumped the shark when he started talking about taking guns before due process.

It's been a litany of trampling people's rights since he got into office.

- Refusing hundreds of thousands of refugees shelter (including Iraqi interpreters who provided service to the US military)
- Attempting to ban entry to the country on religious grounds
- Excluding anyone who is not a citizen of the US from Privacy Act protections
- Rolled back oversight of US police forces
- Proposing expansion of illegal US torture operations
- Repealed transgender protections for students
- Rescinded workplace protections for LGBT people
- Sent a an anti-LGBT hate group (C-FAM) as part of his delegation to the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- Reinstated and expanded the global gag rule preventing any US aid to groups that so much as educate people regarding safe abortion
- Totally abandoned any US efforts related to climate change
- Has emboldened racial hatred through his personal comments and failure to condemn overtly racist acts

. . . this shit goes on and on.  This was seriously the first time he trampled some rights that you care about?

This President really seems to have no idea how to do his job nor any interest in how to get better at it.

Yeah, that's not exactly a well guarded secret.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1161 on: March 03, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »
To paraphrase an overused meme:

He is not the President we need, but definitely the one we deserve, especially for 'Muricans.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1162 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
This was seriously the first time he trampled some rights that you care about?

Not at all, pulling out of the Paris Accord made me realize Trump was only going to listen to himself and could care less about the rest of America.  I just thought that telling Congress they should consider taking guns away from licensed owners before due process was the most bizarre, unpredictable display yet (hence 'jumping the shark' - everything Trump says going forward can be attempted in seriousness and no-one will be able to take it seriously).  Even though I'd support taking guns away from mentally unfit people in principle, the idea that due process takes the back seat on anyone's rights to a constitutional protection is a chilling precedent and would never hold up.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1163 on: March 03, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »

Not at all, pulling out of the Paris Accord made me realize Trump was only going to listen to himself and could care less about the rest of America.  I just thought that telling Congress they should consider taking guns away from licensed owners before due process was the most bizarre, unpredictable display yet (hence 'jumping the shark' - everything Trump says going forward can be attempted in seriousness and no-one will be able to take it seriously).  Even though I'd support taking guns away from mentally unfit people in principle, the idea that due process takes the back seat on anyone's rights to a constitutional protection is a chilling precedent and would never hold up.

Maybe you will get lucky and he will be President for Life

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: March 03, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »

I came here to post that...unbelievable.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1165 on: March 03, 2018, 09:41:41 PM »

He seems to have a pretty good handle on sexual misconduct in the workplace.  Just grab 'em by the pussy.

Ah yes I completely forget this :(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:50:45 PM by sequoia »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1166 on: March 03, 2018, 10:50:24 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/03/politics/trump-golf-100-days/index.html

Didnt he had big problem when Obama was playing golf? What a hypocrite...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1170 on: March 04, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
President for LIFE!!!! OMG!!!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-praises-xi-president-life_us_5a9b5cb5e4b0a0ba4ad406e6

To be fair, the circumstances did not warrant serious considerations, he was making jokes all night, or was he?

Despite numerous flaws and such, I really enjoy his jokes sometimes; the most memorable being him talking about Melania's stolen speech.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1171 on: March 04, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-praises-xi-president-life_us_5a9b5cb5e4b0a0ba4ad406e6

To be fair, the circumstances did not warrant serious considerations, he was making jokes all night, or was he?

Despite numerous flaws and such, I really enjoy his jokes sometimes; the most memorable being him talking about Melania's stolen speech.

I agree you can't take his remarks at these two joke filled speeches seriously.

Then again, you can't take his remarks seriously regardless of the context.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1172 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »

Not trying to debate if he was joking or not, and I am willing to give benefit of the doubt. Having said that, is that a joke/comments that is appropriate to be said by US president?

Anyone care to speculate how he will be now that Hope Hicks has resigned. If her departure is going to be that significant as what media said, is he just going to be worse and lose control from here moving forward?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1173 on: March 06, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/politics/gary-cohn-resigns.html

For the economists who stay, what kind of job will they be able to get after the administration? Or will it be like other embarrassing group-think scenarios where no one involved can be found that actually supported the wack policies ("No, I was arguing against the tariffs. My co-workers wanted them. I was fighting the good fight from the inside.")

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1174 on: March 06, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
Another one jumps ship.  Lots of job openings at the WH.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »

Having said that, is that a joke/comments that is appropriate to be said by US president?

Yup, it became appropriate when people voted him in. I will say it again: America is sick, Trump is not merely the symptom, he is the cure. and
He is not the President we need, but definitely the one we deserve, especially for 'Muricans.
If you don't like it, be the change you want to see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/politics/gary-cohn-resigns.html

For the economists who stay, what kind of job will they be able to get after the administration? Or will it be like other embarrassing group-think scenarios where no one involved can be found that actually supported the wack policies ("No, I was arguing against the tariffs. My co-workers wanted them. I was fighting the good fight from the inside.")

I wouldn't worry too much about them, Kudlow and Ross have been doing great, also what's the guy's name from Bush admin that facilitated 2002 Steel Tariffs? I bet he had done quite well too.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #1176 on: March 06, 2018, 05:26:54 PM »
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH NOW GARY COHN!!!!  WTF

Trump is really working hard to give back all of 2017’s gains.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1177 on: March 06, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
Markets not liking it, Dow -429, NASDAQ -107.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1178 on: March 06, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »
Markets not liking it, Dow -429, NASDAQ -107.

sale!!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1179 on: March 08, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
If Trump somehow manages to get a peace deal with North Korea (that actually works) I think his presidency is worth it.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1180 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:34 AM »
If Trump somehow manages to get a peace deal with North Korea (that actually works) I think his presidency is worth it.

I wonder if they will meet by the slide at recess. ( :

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »

Given that he pulled the announcement out of the top of his head to stop this morning's headlines containing the words "Stormy Daniels", that he doesn't even have an ambassador to South Korea and that the top State Department expert on North Korea retired recently, I think this is going to be an even bigger clusterfuck than his health policy, his tax policy, his tariff policy and his border wall policy.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1182 on: March 09, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
We will see, but given the fact he even got them to the table, as much as I hate to admit it, is a major accomplishment.  I heard this morning North Korea has agreed to cease testing until the talks which may still be two months away.  When was the last time NK vowed to cease testing for even a few weeks, let alone months?  Pretty darn amazing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1183 on: March 09, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »
We will see, but given the fact he even got them to the table, as much as I hate to admit it, is a major accomplishment.  I heard this morning North Korea has agreed to cease testing until the talks which may still be two months away.  When was the last time NK vowed to cease testing for even a few weeks, let alone months?  Pretty darn amazing.

North Korea offered to stop nuclear testing if Obama quit military exercises in 2016 (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/obama-response-north-korea-nuclear-tests-deal) and 2015 (https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/world/asia/north-korea-offers-us-deal-to-halt-nuclear-test-.html). 

Under Bush in 2005 North Korea agreed to stop testing nuclear weapons (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/20/northkorea), then they said they would do it again in 2007 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/world/asia/13cnd-korea.html).  They agreed to dismantle their nuclear program in 2008 (https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron#2008).

Under Clinton in '94, North Korea agreed to remain a party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework#Agreement)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:46:46 AM by GuitarStv »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1184 on: March 09, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
NK plays 5D chess, Trump plays 2D checkers.  Duck and cover.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1185 on: March 09, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
Trump is an idiot, and he is being played.  Nevertheless, I would rather have this dumb meeting than a nuclear first strike.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: March 09, 2018, 08:48:08 AM »
Given that he pulled the announcement out of the top of his head to stop this morning's headlines containing the words "Stormy Daniels"

This is the only relevant fact in this story, I think.  Stormy Daniels has filed a lawsuit against Trump over his hush money contract, which basically voids it because you can't litigate something he claims doesn't exist.  So the white house spokesperson admitted the hush money contract existed, and he's furious.  It's just like when the pussy grabber tape came out.  We all already knew it was true, but having public evidence of it hurts him with his base that was still trying desperately to believe it was all just a liberal plot to attack his sterling character. 

There are a few people who still believe Trump didn't bang a porn star right after Barron was born, and he absolutely needs those people to remain willfully ignorant if he wants to win another election.  Publicly admitting that he has also cheated on his third wife, like he cheated on his first two, and then attempted to cover it up and lie about it, only threatens his electoral prospects among evangelicals. 

Hence, "Hey everyone, look at North Korea!" this morning.  If that goes poorly, I think we can expect an empty but theatrical announcement about immigration, or maybe another trade war policy.  He's the master of distraction.  He doesn't really have any other option, when everything is falling apart around him, except to try to keep focus off of whatever today's disaster is.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1187 on: March 09, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
My hope is that the Stormy Daniels story will include Trump paying for an abortion.  That'll show those Evangelicals!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1188 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
My hope is that the Stormy Daniels story will include Trump paying for an abortion.  That'll show those Evangelicals!

And amazingly, they will prove perfectly indifferent to this. They will shift instantly and seamlessly from "ABORTION IS MURDER!" to "Christianity is about forgiveness. He's a changed man."

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1189 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
Well, at least between Stormy and North Korea, nobody is talking about how devastatingly terrible his tariffs are! So much winning!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1190 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Well, at least between Stormy and North Korea, nobody is talking about how devastatingly terrible his tariffs are! So much winning!

Shit I couldn't flip on the news this morning without hearing about tariffs. Only stayed long enough to watch a couple brief interviews of those in the steel industry. One woman saying the tariffs "will increase steel jobs" and the other saying "steel jobs aren't coming back anymore than oil jobs are coming back."

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]
oh hell, I thought you were inferring something else when you said 'for life'.  I just hope no secret service folks get hurt in the process.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1192 on: March 09, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »

Shit I couldn't flip on the news this morning without hearing about tariffs. Only stayed long enough to watch a couple brief interviews of those in the steel industry. One woman saying the tariffs "will increase steel jobs" and the other saying "steel jobs aren't coming back anymore than oil jobs are coming back."

And of course, if the station you were listening to is owned by the Sinclair group, the news they are reporting is likely pro-Trump propaganda, anyway:

http://fortune.com/2018/03/08/sinclair-media-group-fake-news/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1193 on: March 09, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
"Beautiful CLEAN Coal"

Maybe Donnie should convert his skyscrapers and White House heating systems to coal. Lead by example.

The Titanic was fueled by coal in 1912, let us bring that back. Coal fueled ships and cars too! We don't need no Paris Climate Agreement. Climate change is a hoax.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
"Beautiful CLEAN Coal"

Maybe Donnie should convert his skyscrapers and White House heating systems to coal. Lead by example.

The Titanic was fueled by coal in 1912, let us bring that back. Coal fueled ships and cars too! We don't need no Paris Climate Agreement. Climate change is a hoax.
Plot twist, the steel tariff to help bring back steel jobs may harm coal jobs Trump loves.

Brazil, the second-largest exporter of steel to the U.S. after Canada, is also the largest importer of U.S. metallurgical-grade coal to fuel the steel-making furnaces.

NPR's Philip Reeve tells Morning Edition that Brazil is gravely concerned about the U.S. tariffs, saying they will hurt trade relations and that the South American country has not ruled out sourcing its coal from elsewhere.

Although Brazil has not indicated where it might alternatively source coal. China is the world's largest producer of "met coal," but it consumes it all and buys more from abroad, including from the U.S. Australia is also a major exporter of metallurgical coal.

While President Trump has been a big backer of the U.S. coal industry, it is possible that his new tariffs could backfire, hurting U.S. coal exports while boosting those from China.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/09/592237441/u-s-signs-off-on-tariffs-angering-trade-partners

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1195 on: March 09, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

And amazingly, they will prove perfectly indifferent to this. They will shift instantly and seamlessly from "ABORTION IS MURDER!" to "Christianity is about forgiveness. He's a changed man."
And sadly, I believe Kris is right on point here.  I could never stomach the guy, even before the details started coming out.  The moment he announced I knew he would never get my vote because of what I already had seen of the man in his public persona.  Then all the crap came out about the tape and other things and somehow he still was strong with Christians because so many get hung up about the supreme court and it's impact on allowing us to legislate religion/behavior.  I am a Christian myself and sat dumbfounded as person after person I knew somehow justified Trump away because they felt he was a believer and therefore that trumped (no pun intended) all else.  It is because of this that I am convinced he will still win a second term and that he was right that he could shoot someone on the street and he'd still get votes.  Some people's understanding of Christianity is so warped they they can justify voting for this clearly not that type of person an they believe they are right. 

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
Given that he pulled the announcement out of the top of his head to stop this morning's headlines containing the words "Stormy Daniels"

This is the only relevant fact in this story, I think.  Stormy Daniels has filed a lawsuit against Trump over his hush money contract, which basically voids it because you can't litigate something he claims doesn't exist.  So the white house spokesperson admitted the hush money contract existed, and he's furious.  It's just like when the pussy grabber tape came out.  We all already knew it was true, but having public evidence of it hurts him with his base that was still trying desperately to believe it was all just a liberal plot to attack his sterling character. 

There are a few people who still believe Trump didn't bang a porn star right after Barron was born, and he absolutely needs those people to remain willfully ignorant if he wants to win another election.  Publicly admitting that he has also cheated on his third wife, like he cheated on his first two, and then attempted to cover it up and lie about it, only threatens his electoral prospects among evangelicals. 

Hence, "Hey everyone, look at North Korea!" this morning.  If that goes poorly, I think we can expect an empty but theatrical announcement about immigration, or maybe another trade war policy.  He's the master of distraction.  He doesn't really have any other option, when everything is falling apart around him, except to try to keep focus off of whatever today's disaster is.
+1

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1197 on: March 09, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »

And of course, if the station you were listening to is owned by the Sinclair group, the news they are reporting is likely pro-Trump propaganda, anyway:

http://fortune.com/2018/03/08/sinclair-media-group-fake-news/

Not quite sure what station it was. Might have been Faux. Someone here at work always flips on Faux news in the cafeteria. I typically just turn it on some other non-news channel.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1199 on: March 09, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
My male acquaintances from Hillbilly Mountain like Trump even more because of the Stormy Daniels affair. They all wish they could have hooked up with a porn star. Don't expect the "scandal" to do anything to Trump's support.