Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about Realistic Bipartisan Legislation with a Split Congress  (Read 13320 times)

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
So the 2018 Midterm Elections are Over. Democrats took back the House of Representatives, and the Republicans strengthened their hold on the Senate.

My question is: What bill do you think can pass or should pass with the current split congress.

What I'm really looking for here is good ideas. How do we make our country better, stronger for everyone?

Here's my first Legislation idea: If technically feasible, pass a bill to STOP ALL SPAM CALLS FOREVER. Whichever congressman or senator puts this bill up for a vote would get my own personal vote in perpetuity.

So whatcha think anonymous internet people?

JGS

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
An infrastructure bill is the obvious one.  Trump claimed he wanted to do something like that on the campaign trail but then seems to have forgotten about it.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
I don't think much passes at all.

Secret Stache

• Stubble
End Daylight Savings Time. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

YES!!!!!  Sweet Jesus, this!

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
What???

Huge daylight savings time fan here. It helps me maintain my circadian rhythm in the winter and allows me to enjoy more leisure time during summer evenings.

If they got rid of daylight savings, I'd be pissed. Royally pissed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
What???

Huge daylight savings time fan here. It helps me maintain my circadian rhythm in the winter and allows me to enjoy more leisure time during summer evenings.

Nobody's preventing you from getting up an hour earlier/later to keep yourself happy.  You shouldn't force this on others though.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

HELL YES.  One of my favorite things about living in Arizona was they didn't do that stupid crap.

Alternatively, we could just keep daylight savings all year round.  That would be fine too, esp for northern climates.  Whatever, just STOP CHANGING BACK AND FORTH.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
I don't think much passes at all.

Agree.  Every time Dems propose a bill for something Trump formerly supported (like infrastructure), he will refuse it b/c they are investigating him.  Or he will tack on some extreme immigration element.  Or something.

Also, Dems will request his tax returns, and Trump will refuse to turn them over.  Eventually, the issue will be decided in courts, but that could easily take more than two years.

And Trump is currently executing what looks like the beginning of a slow mo Saturday Night Massacre at the justice department, so the Mueller investigation will be hamstrung from here forward.  Hopefully Mueller has farmed out most of his findings by this point.

Don't get me wrong, nothing getting done is better than before, but it won't satisfy the hopes of the left at all.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker

HELL YES.  One of my favorite things about living in Arizona was they didn't do that stupid crap.

Alternatively, we could just keep daylight savings all year round.  That would be fine too, esp for northern climates.  Whatever, just STOP CHANGING BACK AND FORTH.

Florida voters approved this a couple years ago (but their legislators have not yet implemented it), and California just voted to do the same. Please, please can we just switch to DST year-round??? I hate getting home at sunset for 5 months out of the year.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
What???

Nobody's preventing you from getting up an hour earlier/later to keep yourself happy.  You shouldn't force this on others though.

Not as simple as you might think. There are serious implications in terms of energy usage, safety, and international business. Going to full time daylight savings would probably be my preference but there are issues with that too.

I'd recommend Seize the Daylight by David Prerau if you're interested in reading a whole book on something that most people consider a side note :)

http://www.seizethedaylight.com/index.html

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
What???

Not as simple as you might think. There are serious implications in terms of energy usage, safety, and international business. Going to full time daylight savings would probably be my preference but there are issues with that too.

I'd recommend Seize the Daylight by David Prerau if you're interested in reading a whole book on something that most people consider a side note :)

No, I think it is that simple.

Daylight savings time wastes more energy (https://www.nber.org/papers/w14429), causes more car accidents, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980) and even heart attacks (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002914912024435).  If international business can figure out how to deal with China (one time zone where there should be at least three and no DST since '91) I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to not randomly set clocks an hour ahead/behind for North America.

Most importantly, DST fucks with my son's and dog's sleeping schedule which then fucks with my sleeping schedule.

:P

oldmannickels

• Stubble
I think the TCJA correction bill has a good chance. Fix the unintended mistakes of rushed legislation and lots of lobbyist backing it.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
I know we are only a few posts in, but surprised to not see some legislation protecting the Special Counsel investigation. Trump has been trying to block that from many angles now for 1.5 years, obstructing justice along the way. This could even get done with the current Congress, I see Flake is on board.

Kris

• Walrus Stache

Completely agree, except I would personally rather keep DST but rename it standard time because I prefer DST.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
What???

No, I think it is that simple.

Daylight savings time wastes more energy (https://www.nber.org/papers/w14429), causes more car accidents, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980) and even heart attacks (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002914912024435).  If international business can figure out how to deal with China (one time zone where there should be at least three and no DST since '91) I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to not randomly set clocks an hour ahead/behind for North America.

Most importantly, DST fucks with my son's and dog's sleeping schedule which then fucks with my sleeping schedule.

:P

And here's a study done the same year suggesting that there is about a 0.5% energy savings for the whole of the US.

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/analysis/pdfs/epact_sec_110_edst_report_to_congress_2008.pdf

Again, I'm not arguing pro or con on the basis of any one thing, but it's definitely not simple. If you want to find one study to support your opinion on any given topic you can probably find one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
I know we are only a few posts in, but surprised to not see some legislation protecting the Special Counsel investigation. Trump has been trying to block that from many angles now for 1.5 years, obstructing justice along the way. This could even get done with the current Congress, I see Flake is on board.

I don't see a path for bipartisan support for this.  Republican voters have made it quite clear that they don't want to know the truth, and their elected representatives are not interested in bringing the truth to light.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache

Florida voters approved this a couple years ago (but their legislators have not yet implemented it), and California just voted to do the same. Please, please can we just switch to DST year-round??? I hate getting home at sunset for 5 months out of the year.

The issue with year round daylight savings is that more people are commuting to work in the morning darkness. On the other hand early dusk means more people are driving home in darkness.

I think the only real solution is to reduce hours worked in the colder months. Congress, get to work. I want 7.... let's make that 6 hour workdays from November to March.... make that October to April, just to be safe.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
I'm going to run contrary to most here and say there's the potential for more legislation passing now than there was in the previous congress - after all that's not a very high bar to clear.

Three potential bills:
1) infrastructure.  This would be a no-brainer in any other congress as there's widespread support on both sides.  DJT's bats*!t crazy proposal to have private industry shoulder almost all the cost and risks was almost universally rejected, but a real infrastructure spending bill giving money to both red and blue districts should fly through

2) protecting pre-existing conditions.  GOP failed to 'repeal and replace' and seem to have lost their appetite for trying.  They even flipped this election and ran ads saying how they were the ones trying to protect people with pre-existing conditions. Whatever, a deal could be struck here

3) raising the federal minimum wage.  Dems in the House will push this, and it will cost the GOP political capital to vote against, particularly among their blue-collar supporters. It's a potential win-win issue for the Dems; either they get a wage increase or they make a bunch of Trump's supporters pissed off at the GOP for choosing corporate profits over their own paychecks.

radram

• Pencil Stache
R's dig in, don't budge on any position, and blame the D's for not being able to get anything done.

This is just a continuation, after a brief pause, of the R's strategy under Obama, which was incredibly successful.

It will again be successful, with Trump easily winning reelection.

Compromise is no longer understood in politics. It is considered failure.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
R's dig in, don't budge on any position, and blame the D's for not being able to get anything done.

Wouldn't that be a double-edged sword? GOP has control of the Senate but will have to defend 21 (of 33) seats in 2020. If they are perceived as getting 'nothing done' it could be good for retaking the house where they are in the minority but bad for retaining control of the Senate, no? 

Also doesn't really help DJT - the self-proclaimed 'great dealmaker' - to constantly cry that he couldn't cut a deal with the Dems, couldn't pass legislation with control of both houses, couldn't get it down with a split legislature.  Not much left to try (other than completed Dem control)...

radram

• Pencil Stache

Wouldn't that be a double-edged sword? GOP has control of the Senate but will have to defend 21 (of 33) seats in 2020. If they are perceived as getting 'nothing done' it could be good for retaking the house where they are in the minority but bad for retaining control of the Senate, no? 

Also doesn't really help DJT - the self-proclaimed 'great dealmaker' - to constantly cry that he couldn't cut a deal with the Dems, couldn't pass legislation with control of both houses, couldn't get it down with a split legislature.  Not much left to try (other than completed Dem control)...
I hope you are right, but R's are master of spin. Just ask Trump about how successful this mid-term was. You know the one that saw the largest House swing in a mid=term since Nixon.

When they can stall a supreme court appointment for 400 fucking days, and still come out smelling like a rose, I see no reason why they will not succeed in that strategy again.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
I'm going to run contrary to most here and say there's the potential for more legislation passing now than there was in the previous congress - after all that's not a very high bar to clear.

Three potential bills:
1) infrastructure.  This would be a no-brainer in any other congress as there's widespread support on both sides.  DJT's bats*!t crazy proposal to have private industry shoulder almost all the cost and risks was almost universally rejected, but a real infrastructure spending bill giving money to both red and blue districts should fly through

2) protecting pre-existing conditions.  GOP failed to 'repeal and replace' and seem to have lost their appetite for trying.  They even flipped this election and ran ads saying how they were the ones trying to protect people with pre-existing conditions. Whatever, a deal could be struck here

3) raising the federal minimum wage.  Dems in the House will push this, and it will cost the GOP political capital to vote against, particularly among their blue-collar supporters. It's a potential win-win issue for the Dems; either they get a wage increase or they make a bunch of Trump's supporters pissed off at the GOP for choosing corporate profits over their own paychecks.
I think that of these, the only likely one is protecting people with pre-existing conditions and I only think that this is the case because it is already law.  However, I expect the Republicans to continue fighting against these protections tooth and nail and I expect the Trump DOJ to continue to support the fight against these protections. 

The other two major policy areas you mention are non-starters.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian

Why do you think that?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
I think that bills coming up in the house and senate are going to look pretty different.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache

Why do you think that?

I'll answer re: minimum wage. Raising minimum wage is just anathema to the business-controlled Republicans. It's a hill to die on. It'll happen in cities and states not controlled by the Republicans but it'll never happen in, say, Alabama, even if it helps many workers there. The Repubs will spin it as regulating businesses and a job-loss scenario and the base will eat it up.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache

Why do you think that?

I'll answer re: minimum wage. Raising minimum wage is just anathema to the business-controlled Republicans. It's a hill to die on. It'll happen in cities and states not controlled by the Republicans but it'll never happen in, say, Alabama, even if it helps many workers there. The Repubs will spin it as regulating businesses and a job-loss scenario and the base will eat it up.
Basically the same is true with infrastructure.  They'll suddenly become deficit hawks again.  Further, as long as the Republicans refuse to agree to any bill, Trump can and will claim that the Democrats are being obstructionists.

sol

• Walrus Stache
Raising minimum wage is just anathema to the business-controlled Republicans. It's a hill to die on. It'll happen in cities and states not controlled by the Republicans but it'll never happen in, say, Alabama, even if it helps many workers there. The Repubs will spin it as regulating businesses and a job-loss scenario and the base will eat it up.

How long will minimum wage voters continue to support republican politicians who argue that the minimum wage should never go up?  I mean at some point, the desire to support your party's ideology has to run up against your own desire to not live in poverty anymore.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Raising minimum wage is just anathema to the business-controlled Republicans. It's a hill to die on. It'll happen in cities and states not controlled by the Republicans but it'll never happen in, say, Alabama, even if it helps many workers there. The Repubs will spin it as regulating businesses and a job-loss scenario and the base will eat it up.

How long will minimum wage voters continue to support republican politicians who argue that the minimum wage should never go up?  I mean at some point, the desire to support your party's ideology has to run up against your own desire to not live in poverty anymore.
But don't forget that the other party wants to take your guns and kill all of the babies. /s

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache

People will put up with a whole lot more.  We'll see what happens as workers rights erode further.  They can keep people feeling like they're on the cusp of prosperity and treat work as a virtue.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles

As someone in a Northern clime, and in the most western edge of a time zone, I would really hate it if they kept Daylight savings year round. I need it to get light before 8am. Those last few weeks of October were killing me. I would be fine with no Daylights savings time at all.

Norioch

• Bristles
Nothing will pass. Republicans don't compromise, and Democrats have no reason to compromise when Republicans won't.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
1. Prison reform would be great.  Likely from Dems and Trump but not Repubs.
2. End Daylight Wasting Savings Time and make it full time one or another.
3. Immigration Reform (This might actually happen)
4. Make the middle section of the tax breaks permanent and not phased out.
5. Infrastructure beyond just roads and bridges.  Making the internet has made America pretty well off, perhaps develop worldwide internet systems (looking at you SpaceX) in collaboration with Fed grants.  Tax the usage for a set amount of time to pay for it.

And if one can dream...
6. Reduce all spending (Yes I mean that massive DoD leach on uncle sam's back) including defense and entitlements.  Combine departments.  Use technology to reduce staffing levels. Etc.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache

How long will minimum wage workers keep working a minimum wage job and not develop into something bigger?  If you can't find a different job and negotiate a higher salary in this economy then no one has taught you how to make money.  Fast food in my town is offering 14$/hr just to get more people because there is a surplus of jobs.

I seriously don't get the minimum wage argument.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache

Love this idea!

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache

I don't see a path for bipartisan support for this.  Republican voters have made it quite clear that they don't want to know the truth, and their elected representatives are not interested in bringing the truth to light.

No way Republicans will vote for this. Not in their self interest.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache

How long will minimum wage workers keep working a minimum wage job and not develop into something bigger?  If you can't find a different job and negotiate a higher salary in this economy then no one has taught you how to make money.  Fast food in my town is offering 14$/hr just to get more people because there is a surplus of jobs.

There's something there but I can't quite put my finger on it....

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache

1. Minimum wage bill might pass in the House, but would die in the Senate. Would be a bill akin to the "Repeal the ACA" votes the Republicans were doing all the time a couple years ago. Red meat for the blue base.

2. I think ANY immigration bill that Democrats support would be a non-starter. Democrats would want some amnesty, and amnesty is a dirty word in Republican circles, so No-Go. Nothing fixed, unfortunately. Last broad amnesty was under Reagan, under a democratic congress, of course. So who knows?

3. I like a bill that would extend Broadband Wireless to all cities, suburbs, and rural areas. I think lots of folks would support that.

4. Democrats will likely decrease funding for the military. I have no idea whether the president would sign this or not. Or pick a fight and have a shutdown. I see budget soap-operas in our future.

Just some thoughts, JGS

robartsd

• Magnum Stache

Current Federal law prevents year round daylight savings time. States/localities can choose to stick with standard time or switch clocks twice a year on the dates set by Federal law. This is what is preventing Florida's implementation, not their legislature. I could see the upcoming congress approving year round daylight savings time if the current congress does not pass it within this session.

California voted to give the legislature the power to change to year round daylight savings if the Federal law changes. It might have also authorized the legislature to change to year round standard time. The law requires the legislature to pass the change with a 2/3 majority. The legislature did not have authority to change daylight savings time because the voter initiative establishing daylight savings time made no provision for them to do so.

Otsog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The Republican Party in America believes the Government should only have 1 function:

- Protect private property rights

When you view the actual actions of the Republican party through that lens it makes more sense. The 0.1% uber rich donors do not believe the government has any business in regulating private business or in funding the public good, ie, welfare, healthcare, environmental protection.  Quite frankly, they don't give a shit about bipartisanship.

The right wing propaganda machine is extraordinarily effective at stoking fears and obfuscation.  What happened to that deadly caravan that was steps away from invading America?

sol

• Walrus Stache
The right wing propaganda machine is extraordinarily effective at stoking fears and obfuscation.  What happened to that deadly caravan that was steps away from invading America?

It immediately disbanded when they heard democrats took the house in the midterms?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

1. Minimum wage bill might pass in the House, but would die in the Senate. Would be a bill akin to the "Repeal the ACA" votes the Republicans were doing all the time a couple years ago. Red meat for the blue base.

2. I think ANY immigration bill that Democrats support would be a non-starter. Democrats would want some amnesty, and amnesty is a dirty word in Republican circles, so No-Go. Nothing fixed, unfortunately. Last broad amnesty was under Reagan, under a democratic congress, of course. So who knows?

3. I like a bill that would extend Broadband Wireless to all cities, suburbs, and rural areas. I think lots of folks would support that.

4. Democrats will likely decrease funding for the military. I have no idea whether the president would sign this or not. Or pick a fight and have a shutdown. I see budget soap-operas in our future.

Just some thoughts, JGS

I do. Trump would never sign anything that decreases funding for the military.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache

It immediately disbanded when they heard democrats took the house in the midterms?

Yep. Breitbart has reports from this guy whose cousin works in the same town that George Soros drove through on Wednesday that Soros is no longer paying the caravan, so the caravan disbanded and went back to their day jobs as Mexican soap actors.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
Everyone knows no one really FIREs, they are paid by George Soros for side gigging.  Vast conspiracies all over.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache

Just some thoughts, JGS
[/quote]

[/quote]

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2018/10/17/trump-appears-to-call-for-defense-spending-cuts/

5% of $716 BILLION is $35.8 BILLION, I wonder what we could do with all the moolah?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Just some thoughts, JGS

If his privately owned businesses acquired say . . . a mercenary army (like Betsy Devos's Academi for example) I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
This is what I think the Dems should send to the Senate.   

1) An infrastructure bill.  Make sure there is plenty of work being done in rural areas.

2) A Tax Reform Bill.  Increase taxes on corporations and the high income folks to 80% of where they were before the tax cut.   Reduce taxes on the middle class by 20% of the increased income.

3) Cut funding of government agencies by 10%.   Tell them to cut out the overhead costs of getting their work done.
Where Trump gutted social oriented agencies, restore the funds back to 90% of what they were pre-Trump.

4) Instruct agencies that impact business to reduce regulations that interfere with business without impacting public health, safety, worker's rights or the environment.  Start pointing out in-the-way regulations and instruct them to be repealed.

5) Provide an approved path to adoption of US children by the usual carrot/stock method.  States that sign on get to keep federal funding they want.  States that don't, don't.   Simplify the system so it can be accomplished in 6 months and not require a lawyer or any appreciable amount of funds by a prospective parent.   Make any provisions a parent giving a child up for adoption that restrict who can adopt the child invalid.  I.e., parent who won't be taking care of the child can't restrict adoption to only a specific race religion, gender, etc.   

6) Abolish the VA system and replace it by allowing veterans to go to the doctor of their choice and paying for it.

(7) Implement strong tax and incentive policies that will drive businesses to locate in rural and troubled areas.   Include in that provisions to help people without jobs or with lower paying jobs to relocate to the new area.

(8) Allow banks, on new mortgages, to charge a per-payment service fee.  Regulate it so it's not onerous.  This will make small mortgages financially feasible for the banks to offer, which would let lower middle class people better afford a home of their own.  Modify Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mortgage loan policies to allow for repairs to be made to the property as part of the loan (so they can buy a fixer-upper) and to have a draw at the same interest rate (added to the loan and extending the term or increasing the payment, per customer choice) that would be sufficient to cover an hvac replacement or similar serious malfunction.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
5. Infrastructure beyond just roads and bridges.  Making the internet has made America pretty well off, perhaps develop worldwide internet systems (looking at you SpaceX) in collaboration with Fed grants.  Tax the usage for a set amount of time to pay for it.
This!  Internet infrastructure is huge for getting businesses (including home-based businesses, self-employed people, or remote workers) off the ground these days.  There's no reason that we shouldn't run fiber anywhere we run electricity, all across the country.  Cities are covered in fiber but plenty of rural or even suburban areas are laughably behind the curve thanks to regional monopolies and other bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:35:22 PM by ketchup »

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
Everyone knows no one really FIREs, they are paid by George Soros for side gigging.  Vast conspiracies all over.

FIRE is a hoax created by the chinese and Soros to make american manufacturing uncompetitive due to higher priced goods.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
This is what I think the Dems should send to the Senate.   

1) An infrastructure bill.  Make sure there is plenty of work being done in rural areas.

2) A Tax Reform Bill.  Increase taxes on corporations and the high income folks to 80% of where they were before the tax cut.   Reduce taxes on the middle class by 20% of the increased income.

3) Cut funding of government agencies by 10%.   Tell them to cut out the overhead costs of getting their work done.
Where Trump gutted social oriented agencies, restore the funds back to 90% of what they were pre-Trump.

4) Instruct agencies that impact business to reduce regulations that interfere with business without impacting public health, safety, worker's rights or the environment.  Start pointing out in-the-way regulations and instruct them to be repealed.

5) Provide an approved path to adoption of US children by the usual carrot/stock method.  States that sign on get to keep federal funding they want.  States that don't, don't.   Simplify the system so it can be accomplished in 6 months and not require a lawyer or any appreciable amount of funds by a prospective parent.   Make any provisions a parent giving a child up for adoption that restrict who can adopt the child invalid.  I.e., parent who won't be taking care of the child can't restrict adoption to only a specific race religion, gender, etc.   

6) Abolish the VA system and replace it by allowing veterans to go to the doctor of their choice and paying for it.

(7) Implement strong tax and incentive policies that will drive businesses to locate in rural and troubled areas.   Include in that provisions to help people without jobs or with lower paying jobs to relocate to the new area.

(8) Allow banks, on new mortgages, to charge a per-payment service fee.  Regulate it so it's not onerous.  This will make small mortgages financially feasible for the banks to offer, which would let lower middle class people better afford a home of their own.  Modify Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mortgage loan policies to allow for repairs to be made to the property as part of the loan (so they can buy a fixer-upper) and to have a draw at the same interest rate (added to the loan and extending the term or increasing the payment, per customer choice) that would be sufficient to cover an hvac replacement or similar serious malfunction.

Way too much common sense for today's political climate.