Author Topic: So...jackfruit - got any recipes?  (Read 2151 times)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
So...jackfruit - got any recipes?
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »
I'm starting to hear about jackfruit and made my first recipe today (a "pulled pork" BBQ number). Very interesting food item! It's always great to have meat substitute items in the diet that aren't super processed soy and who the hell knows what.

Have you got recipes that are a go-to for this item?

Lkxe

• Stubble
Re: So...jackfruit - got any recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
I hope someone does because I’ve only made it as pulled pork and all things you can make with pulled pork- tacos, tamale pie, rice bowls-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »
I have no Asian store in my area. Where can I buy it where the prices are not jacked up? Any Asian markets on line?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
I have no Asian store in my area. Where can I buy it where the prices are not jacked up? Any Asian markets on line?

Trader Joe's sells canned jackfruit at reasonable prices.

I hope someone does because I’ve only made it as pulled pork and all things you can make with pulled pork- tacos, tamale pie, rice bowls-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, all I have is a pulled pork recipe. *shrugs* I'll be curious to see what other people have tried!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
PTF. I have no advice but have been curious about trying jackfruit. Maybe I shall go grab a can at TJ's today....

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »
When you eat it, it tasted like juicy fruit gum, then it changes to mango, pineapple and banana.  I paid $3 a pound and it was a 10 pound fruit ($30).  We stripped out the meat and a group of ten ate about 1/4 of it.  It's an interesting taste, but it gets old quickly.  I ate a couple of the "hearts".  I don't find any redeeming qualities for utilizing it in cooking.  I may be wrong, but to me it's like adding juicy fruit to your food.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »
Love jackfruit! My landlady in Cambodia used to give me some from the tree that grew in our yard.

Never tried cooking with it or the tinned versions. A big part of the appeal for me is the texture and layers of flavor, both of which go away quickly after opening the fruit.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
I've just used the canned kind from Trader Joe's, it's in brine. Wasn't sweet, but neither was it salty from the brine.

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
This is one of my favorite fruits. I used to try it only in Thailand, as it was not brought to our country, but now there are companies that bring all the exotic fruits and I can afford to eat it more often.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 04:08:34 AM »
I tried jackfruit curry in Sri Lanka. I wasn't a huge fan though (but that's just me). There's recipes for jackfruit curry online. :)

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
I tried jackfruit curry in Sri Lanka. I wasn't a huge fan though (but that's just me). There's recipes for jackfruit curry online. :)

My MiL (who is Guyanese) makes a mean jackfruit curry. I have no recipe for it, but it is delicious.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
Another vote for jackfruit curry.  I love that stuff.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
I also love jackfruit curry.  I first had it in Sri Lanka as well, where I went on a cooking tour and had it in several families' homes.  Each families' was a little different depending on their particular mix of spices, but I loved it all.  While I've been busy I continue to buy the frozen jackfruit curry meals at Trader Joe's, but I'd be happy to pursue making my own now that I have more time! 

The one thing I was told, but have lamentably forgot the exact details of, is that you have to use the jackfruit for different things at different periods of ripeness.  Most particularly that the meatiness/appropriateness for savory recipes happens at a different point in its maturity than when you should use it as we Americans typically use fruit, or as a sweet/dessert item.  Unfortunately, I don't remember which ATM, but assume it's all available online.  But the bottom line is, if you weren't happy with the flavor of the jackfruit you've previously had, maybe get it at a different stage of ripeness and you might like it a lot better.